Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Group No's 200 - 333


[Badges]

No 200 (Coastal) Group

It was formed at The Tower, Main Wharf and Bristol Hotel, Gibraltar on 25 September 1939 from General Reconnaissance Group under the control of HQ RAF Mediterranean to control units operating from Gibraltar.  On 3 April 1940 it took over No.101 (GR) Wing and was transferred to Coastal Command on 12 August 1940, being redesignated AHQ Gibraltar on 21 December 1941.

It was due to reform as No 200 (Transport) Group on or by 17 June 1945 to support Tiger Force, but formation probably never took place.

Air Officers Commanding

25 Aug 1939              Gp Capt F E P Barrington 

7 Oct 1940                 Gp Capt A D Rogers

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Member Area

 

No 201 Group

This was formed on the RAF Depot Ship HT Duane at Alexandria from the General Reconnaissance Group, Alexandria on 18 September 1939 as No 201 (General Reconnaissance) Group from personnel of No.86 Wing and Hal Far detachment under the control of Middle East Command.  It was tasked with the control of all GR aircraft in Egypt and disembarked FAA TSR aircraft and moved to Alexandria on 9 October 1939.  On 3 October 1941 it was redesignated No 201 (Naval Co-operation) Group and by 26. December 1941 had established an Advanced GR Base at Fuka satellite.  In April 1942 it moved to Fathi Villa with a Rear HQ at Ismailia until it returned to Alexandria on 6 October 1942.  On 18 February 1943 RAF Middle East was redesignated Middle East Command and by 31 March 1943 the group comprised Nos 235, 238, 245 and 247 Wings.  It was disbanded on 1 February 1944, being amalgamated with Air Defence Eastern Mediterranean to form AHQ Eastern Mediterranean.

It was due to reform as No 201 (Transport) Group on or by 17 June 1945 to support Tiger Force, but formation probably never took place.

Air Officers Commanding

26 Sep 1939              Gp Capt H W G Penderel

11 May 1940             Gp Capt G M Bryer

xx Jul 1941                 AVM L H Slatter

xx Jul 1942?                 AVM H P Lloyd

xx Jul 1942?                 AVM L H Slatter

 3 Feb 1943               A/Cdre J R Scarlett-Streatfield (Acting)

 5 Mar 1943               AVM T A Langsford-Sainsbury

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Member Area

 

No 202 Group

This was formed from Bomber Group (Egypt) at 12 Sharia Cumanos Pasha, Heliopolis on 21 September 1939 as No 202 (Operations) Group to control RAF units in Western Desert.  As the result of Italy's declaration of war it moved to Ma'aten Bagush on 10 June 1940, Sollum on 10 January 1941 and then to Sidi Mahmoud on 22 January.  From February 1941 it operated a Rear HQ at Tobruk but this was absorbed into No 204 Group on 12 April.  On 26 May it was reorganised at 1 Sharia Bustan, Cairo, assuming control of all units in the Delta and for the air defence of Egypt.  It was redesignated AHQ Egypt on 1 December 1941. 

It reformed from  'X' (Administrative) Group at Bastia, Corsica on 1 August 1944 under the control of MATAF to administer RAF units involved on Operation Anvil/Dragoon with Nos. 251, 322 and 324 Wings On  22 August its Advanced HQ moved to St Tropez, where it was reunited with the Rear HQ on 28 August.  It moved to Salon-de-Provence on 4 September 1944, being transferred to the control of Desert Air Force on 6 October but on 16 October it sailed from Marseilles to Naples and was established at San Guiseppe Vesuvio on 26 October, although a Rear HQ was left in Marseilles but it disbanded on 7 November 1944.

Air Officers Commanding

21 Sep 1939                AVM R Collishaw

14 Apr 1941                A/Cdre T W Elmhirst

1Dec 1941 - 11 Jul 1944    Disbanded

11 Jul 1944                   ?

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Member Area

 

No 203 Group

This was formed from AHQ Sudan at Khartoum on 17 August 1940  to control all units in Sudan with an Advanced HQ at Asmara from March to April 1941 On 1 July 1942 a detachment was again set up at Asmara, disbanding on 10 January 1943.  The Group disbanded on 10 May 1943with its tasking being taken over by a new No 283 Wing.

It was reformed the same day as No 203 (Training) Group at Heliopolis in Middle East Command to control the OTUs, Middle East Training Schools and the RAF (Middle East) Central Gunnery School.  It disbanded on 28 February 1945, with its functions being transferred to AHQ Eastern Mediterranean.

Air Officers Commanding

17 Aug 1940               A/Cdre L H Slatter

13 Jul 1941                  AVM C B S Spackman

11 Feb 1942                 AVM R G Parry

10 May 1943               AVM M L Taylor

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Member Area

 

No 204 (Operations) Group

Formed 12 Apr 1941 by renaming HQ RAF Cyrenaica. Renamed AHQ Western Desert, 21 Oct 1941.

Air Officers Commanding

Formed 12.4.41 by absorbing AHQ Cyrenaica and No.202 Group as No.204 (Operations( Group at MA'ATEN BAGUSH to control all RAF units west of Burg-el-Arab. administering Nos.257 (Advanced(. 258 & 259 Wings: 6.41 Advanced HQ to BURG EL ARAB (Rear HQ now at Fuka(, now controlling Nos.253, 257 & 258 Wings: by 2.9.41 Advanced HQ at MA'ATEN BAGUSH & Rear HQ at Burg-el-Arab: Combined and redesignated AHQ Western Desert 21.10.41.

12 Apr 1941                 AVM R Collishaw

30 Jul 1941                    AVM A Coningham

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Member Area

 

No 205 (Heavy Bomber) Group

This was formed from No.257 Wing at Shallufa on 23 October 1941 to control Wellington squadrons of RAF Middle East, later supplemented by Liberators and Halifaxes. By 31 March 1943 it comprised Nos 231 and 236 Wings and in 1 June 1943 was transferred to the control of Northwest African Air Forces.  On 1 January 1944 it become the British Element, Strategical Air Force, the US element being the 15th Air Force.  Following the end of the war in Europe it was transferred from MASAF to HQ MAAF on 12 May 1945 with the Rear HQ at Foggia being disbanded on 10 November.  In 1946 it operated a Detchment  'A' at Blackbushe in the UK but this was disbanded on 25 August and on 1 December it absorbed No 219 Group and Detachment 'B' at Almaza was disbanded on 28 February 1947.  It absorbed No 206 Group on 31 August 1954 and disbanded on 15 April 1956.  The table below shows the location of the Group HQ elements through WW2 and into the post-war period

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
23 Oct 1941 RAF Shallufa  
by 26 Dec 1941   LG.20 Qotafiya
 1 May 1942 RAF Ismailia  
13 Nov 1942 Burg el Arab  
18 Nov 1942 Qotafiya  
28 Nov 1942 Monastir LG  
end Jan 1943 Magrun  
15 Feb 1943 Bir el Gardabia  
1 Jun 1943 Kairouan  
18 Nov 1943 Ariana, nr Tunis  
10 Dec 1943  in transit  
13 Dec 1943 HQ at Ariana closed Advanced HQ opened at Bari
15 Dec 1943 Cerignola  
 1 Jan 1944 HQ US 15th Air Force at Bari  
 1 Apr 1944 Foggia Main Foggia
20 Oct 1945 Fanara  
 7 Aug 1946 RAF Fayid  
 1 Dec 1946 RAF Heliopolis Fayid (until 23 Mar 1947)
15 Mar 1947 RAF Fayid  
 1 Dec 1955 RAF Ismailia  

Air Officers Commanding

23 Oct 1941                A/Cdre L L MacLean

xx May 1942:              A/Cdre A P Ritchie

xx xxx 1943                 A/Cdre O R Gayford ?

10 Jul 1943                 A/Cdre J H T Simpson

xx Aug 1944:               Brig J D Durant SAAF

xx xxx 1944                 AVM S E Toomer

30 Apr 1945                 AVM A McKee

 1 Feb 1947                AVM G S Hodson

 20 Oct 1949              AVM V E Groom

  6 Feb 1952               No Appointment

  6 Jul 1952                 AVM H V Satterley

 30 Jun 1954               AVM D H F Barnett

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 206 Group

This was formed as Maintenance Group on 17 June 1941 at 21 Rue Merzbeck, HELIOPOLIS, being redesignated No 206 (Maintenance) Group on 1 September 1941, under the control of Middle East Command and disbanded on 28 February 1946.

It reformed at ABYAD on 1 June 1951 as No 206 (Base Maintenance) Group in Middle East Air Force, controlling Nos 107, 109 and 128 MUs and disbanded into No 205 Group on 31 August 1954.

Air Officers Commanding

17 Jun 1941                 A/Cdre C B Cooke

18 Jul 1942                  A/Cdre C F Smylie

10 Jun 1944                 A/Cdre F E Vernon

28 Feb 1946 - 1 Jun 1951     Disbanded

1 Jun 1951                   A/Cdre F W Felgate

 6 Jul 1952                   A/Cdre M S Shapcott

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

No 207 (General Purpose) Group

This was formed in Nairobi on 15 December 1941 by renaming AHQ East Africa. It operated a detachment at Port Reitz by 29 September 1942 and reverted to the designation AHQ East Africa on 16 November 1942.

Air Officers Commanding

15 Dec 1941                  A/Cdre W Sowrey

xx Jun 1942                    A//Cdre M L Taylor

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 209 (Fighter) Group

This was formed at Ramleh on 15 December 1942 from personnel of No 263 Wing, taking control of Nos 241, 259 and 263 Wings.  On 8 Apr 1943 it moved to Haifa and at some point despatched an Advanced Party to Cyrus but this ceased operating on 23 October.  It was transferred to the control of AHQ Eastern Mediterranean on 1 February 1944 and on 5 April it moved to St Jean, where it disbanded on 15 November 1944.

Officers Commanding

 6 Feb 1942                Gp Capt E W Whitley

14 Apr 1943               Gp Capt R C F Lister

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 210 Group

This was formed at the Governor's Palace, Tripoli on 1 May 1943 as No 210 (Fighter) Group in Middle East Command to undertake the static defence of Tripolitania and protection of coastal shipping.  On 1 October it was transferred to North-West African Air Forces and then on 15 October to North-West African Coastal Air Forces, moving to Algiers on 19 October, Alma Marine on 30 October, before returning to Algiers on 6 January 1944, where it supposedly disbanded on 1 May 1944,  but is not shown in December 1943 Confidential Air Force List.

It reformed at Standard Oil Building. Algiers on 6 July 1944 to control coastal air forces in North Africa and Western Mediterranean, comprising Nos 332, 337, 338 and 340 Wings.  It moved to Hotel St George,  Algiers on 6 August 1944 with a detachment at Reghaia until 26 November.  In January 1945 it was transferred to AHQ Malta and disbanded on 25 April 1945.

Officers Commanding

1 May 1943                 Gp Capt J Grandy

15 Oct 1943                Gp Capt E W Whitley

1 May 1944 - 6 Jul 1944    Disbanded

6 Jul 1944                    ?

 

No 211 Group

This was formed at Ma'aten Bagush on 10 December 1941 as No 211 (Medium Bomber) Group by renaming Nucleus Group Western Desert under the control of AHQ Western Desert for the local control of units in Cyrenaica.   On 15 January 1942 it moved to El Adem but on 25 January it returned to Ma'aten Bagush, where it disbanded on 3 February 1942. 

It reformed at El Adem as No 211 (Offensive Fighter) Group in Middle East Command on 12 March 1942.  On 20 April it moved to Gambut, with further moves to LG75 Mischiefa on 16 June, Ma'aten Bagush on 22 June LG105 on 27 June, LG91 on 29 June and then to Amriya on area: 1 November 1942.  Here it was split into three parts, Sector 'A', Advance Party and Main Party, which was to make it easier for it to advance with the ground forces following the breakout at El Alamein.  The movements of the various sections is detailed in the table below: -

Date Sector 'A' Advance Party Main Party 'A' Party 'B' Party
 5 Nov 1942 left Burg-el-Arab Amriya to Daba      
 8 Nov 1942     left Amriya    
 9 Nov 1942 Sidi Arab LG13 Sidi Haneish South      
10 Nov 1942     LG75 Mischiefa    
11 Nov 1942 Gambut        
12 Nov 1942   Sidi Aziz      
13 Nov 1942 Gazala        
14 Nov 1942     Gambut    
15 Nov 1942   Gazala      
16 Nov 1942 Martuba        
17 Nov 1942   Martuba Gazala    
21 Nov 1942     Martuba    
23 Nov 1942 Msus        
25 Nov 1942     Msus    
 2 Dec 1942   El Hassiet      
 3 Dec 1942     BELANDAH    
 9 Dec 1942   6km S of Agedabia      
11 Dec 1942     NOGRA    
14 Dec 1942   l0km W of El Agheila      
19 Dec 1942   Marble Arch      
23 Dec 1942 32km W of Nofilia   Marble Arch    
28 Dec 1942     CHEL    
31 Dec 1942 2km SW of Tamet        
 4 Jan 1943   Hamraiet      
 5 Jan 1943   renamed 'A' Party renamed 'B' Party    
 6 Jan 1943 Hamraiet        
13 Jan 1943     Hamraiet and joined with 'A' Party to form Main Group    
16 Jan 1943       moved off moved off
19 Jan 1943       Darragh Darragh
23 Jan 1943         Castel Benito
27 Jan 1943       Castel Benito  
 5 Feb 1943       Sorman  
11 Feb 1943       S of Zuara  
14 Feb 1943       Elassa  
23 Feb 1943       left Castel Benito  
24 Feb 1943 N of Medenine     Medenine area  
 3 Mar 1943          
 8 Mar 1943         Medenine area and joined 'A' Party
12 Mar 1943 Foum Tataouine        
29 Mar 1943 near Gabes        
 7 Apr 1943       in transit  
10 Apr 1943         N of Gabes
11 Apr 1943 3km S of Sfax       Sfax-el-Maou
12 Apr 1943 l0km N of Sousse        
14 Apr 1943       N of Gabes  
15 Apr 1943       Sidi Bou Goubrine  
16 Apr 1943         Goubrine and joined 'A' Party
17 Apr 1943       5km W of Sabratha 5km W of Sabratha
29 Apr 1943 S of Enfidaville        
 1 May 1943 returned to Group at Goubrine        
25 May 1943     5km W of Sabratha    
15 Jun 1943     Malta    
17 Jun 1943       Malta  
19 Jun 1943         Malta
13 Jul 1943     Pachino    
31 Jul 1943     Lentini area    
22 Aug 1943     Mellili    

It disbanded on 17 September 1943 with its personnel being transferred to North-West African Air Forces to form Fighter Sector 'Z'          

Air Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1941

 3 Feb 1942 - 12 Mar 1942    Disbanded

12 Mar 1942                Gp Capt G L Carter

11 Apr 1943                A/Cdre R L R Atcherley

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 212 Group

It assembled at No 23 PTC Helwan on 15 August 1942 and formed, unofficially at Benghazi on 15 September as No 212 (Fighter Control) Group under the control of Western Desert Air Force.  On 25 November it was transferred to AHQ Egypt and s effectively reformed  at Gazala on 1 December 1942 as No 212 (Fighter) Group to undertake coastal protection and air defence of Cyrenaica.  It moved to Benina on 12 December, where it took over No 243 Wing on 13 January 1943 with No 334 Wing being formed on 3 October 1943 and by January 1944 also included No 235 Wing.  On 1 February 1944 it was transferred to AHQ Eastern Mediterranean, finally disbanding on 31 January 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Nov 1942               Gp Capt H A Fenton

 1 Dec 1942                Gp Capt/A/Cdre A J Rankin

23 Mar 1943               Gp Capt D W Bayne (Temp)

26 Mar 1943               A/Cdre A H Wann

1 Mar 1944                 A/Cdre N S Allinson

28 Jul 1945                 Gp Capt J W A Hunnard

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 213 Group

This was frmed at Grand Hotel, Beit Meri on 15 December 1941 as No 213 (Operational) Group by renaming Advanced AHQ Levant, taking over No 263 Wing. On 7 May 1942 it moved to Nerab, Aleppo, taking over No 241 Wing on 22 May.  Further moves followed starting on 23 September to Beirut, Aley, Lebanon on 12 November 1942,where it was reduced to a nucleus attached to 9th Army.  It moved to Turan, Palestine on 20 September 1943, Nazareth in October and by 25 October was back at Aley, where it disbanded on 15 November 1943.

Air Officers Commanding

10 Dec 1941                Gp Capt S D Macdonald

20 Oct 1942                A/Cdre R M Foster

14 Mar 1943                Gp Capt F M Denny

 

No 214 Group

This was formed at Habbaniya on 1 January 1942 subordinate to AHQ Iraq, moving to Kirkuk on 2 February, then to a location East of Baba Gurgat on 4 March, disbanding by being merged with No 217 Group on 30 November 1942.

It reformed at Castel Benito on 15 April 1943 to administer RAF units in Tripolitania, taking over Nos 103 and 113 MUs, No 33 ASP and Nos 2, 3 and 53 R&SUs on 1 June.  By October 1943 it had became No.214 (Maintenance) Group and on 7 October was transferred from Middle East Command to North-West African Air Forces.  On 22 October an Advanced HQ moved to Bari, where the Main HQ joined it on 22 November, leaving a Rear HQ at Castel Benito until at least 31 January 1944.  The Advanced HQ moved to Naples on 20 December 1943, being joined by Main HQ on 21 May 1944 with a detachment at Bari by 15 July 1944, which remained there until March 1945.  It finally disbanded into AHQ Italy on 31 December 1945. (However, it is not shown in December 1943 Confidential Air Force List)

Air Officers Commanding

 8 Jan 1942                    Gp Capt R M Foster

xx Oct 1942                   A/Cdre G F Smylie 

8 Jan 1945                     A/Cdre P Slocombe

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 215 Group

This was formed at Basrah on 1 May 1942 as No.215 (General Reconnaissance) Group, moving to Zubeila Hospital, Basrah on 9 September and then to a new site opposite No 29 GCH at Makinah, Basrah, where it was redesignated No.215 (Fighter) (Iraq and Persia) Group and disbanded on 1 November 1943.

Air Officers Commanding

2 May 1943                    A/Cdre G L Carter

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 216 Group

This was formed at Heliopolis 21 May 1942 as No 216 (Ferry) Group in Middle East Command to administer Nos 1 to 5 Ferry Controls.  On 9 September 1942 it absorbed Transport and Ferry Group to become No 216 (Air Transport & Ferry) Group.  An Advanced HQ was formed and moved to Marble Arch on 2 February 1943 and on 25 March the Group was taken over by Transport Command.  Another Advanced HQ was formed at La Marsa (Tunis) on 1 July, a detachment of which moved to Bari 4 October.  The Advanced HQ became No 249 Wing at Naples on 7 November with the Bari detachment becoming Advanced HQ, which disbanded on 1 January 1944, being replaced at Bari by No 249 Wing.  By 21 April 1944 there was an Advanced HQ at Naples, which had moved to Caserta by 15 July and on 5 March 1946 it was transferred from Transport Command to HQ Mediterranean and Middle East  It was reduced to C&M on 31 July 1946 and disbanded on 26 October 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1942                 G/C B H C Russell

10 Sep 1942                A/Cdre W W Straight

25 Jun 1945                 AVM L Darvall

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 217 Group

This was formed at Habbaniya on 18 Sep 1942 as No 217 (PAIFORCE) Group from Persian Group to meet the requirements of the military situation in northern Persia.  It moved to Hamadan on 6 October and on 24 November began to move to Kirkuk, arriving on 29 November and absorbing No 214 Group the following day.  On 1 December 1942 it moved to Nu Baba and by 2 January 1943 controlled Nos 52, 74, 208, 237 and 454 Squadron, with No 1438 Flight being added by 19 February, but it disbanded on 1 May 1943.

It reformed at No.22 PTC, Almaza on 3 November 1943 within RAF Middle East for service in the Levant, but disbanded on 29 February 1944.

 

No 218 (Maintenance) Group

This was formed at Habbaniya on 1 October 1942 to control Nos 110, 115, 118, 119, 127, 134 and 138 MUs, moving to Shaibah on 15 November, where it disbanded on 17 April 1943.

It reformed at Lazerges, Algiers on 30 November 1943 from the RAF element of Northwest African Air Service Command to control Nos 117, 146, 156, 162, 163, 164, 167 and 351 MUs and No.7 R&SS.  On 1 January 1946 it absorbed the RAF Element of Northwest African Air Service Command and disbanded on 20 June 1946

Air Officers Commanding

30 Nov 1943                A/Cdre E L Ridley

10 Feb 1945                A/Cdre H I T Beardsworth

10 Oct 1945                A/Cdre E A Burridge

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 219 (Fighter) Group

This was formed at Seagull Camp. Mex on 6 December 1942 as No 219 (Fighter) Group from No 252 Wing to provide fighter defence of Egypt. It was transferred to AHQ Eastern Mediterranean on 1 February 1944 and disbanded on 27 July 1944.  Squadrons controlled are shown in the table below: -

Squadron Dates
6 Dec 1942 - Feb 1943.
33 Jan 1944 - Mar 1944
46 Det Jun 1943- Feb 1944
74 Aug 1943 - Mar 1944
80 Dec 1942 - Jul 1943 & Nov 1943
94 Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
123 May 1943 - Oct 1943
127 Dec 1942
127 Det Sep 1943
213 Jul 1943 - Mar 1944
237 Feb 1943 - Feb 1944
238 Jan 1943 - Feb 1944
274 Aug 1943 - Nov 1943
335 Jan 1943 - Nov 1943
336 Apr 1943 - Jan 1944
417 Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
451 Jan 1943 - Apr 1944
680 Sep 1943
889 Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
7 SAAF Nov 1943 - Feb 1944
41 SAAF May 1943 - Dec 1943

It reformed at Heliopolis on 1 March 1946 by amalgamating AHQ Eastern Mediterranean, AHQ Egypt and No 206 (Maintenance) Group but was amalgamated with No 205 Group on 1 December 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

17 Jan 1943                Gp Capt G A G Johnson

26 Jul 1943                Gp Capt Hon M Aitken

xx xxx 1946                

27 Jul 1944 - 1 Mar 1946    Disbanded

21 Mar 1946                AVM S E Toomer

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 221 Group

This was formed at Randeia Buildings, Phagre Street. Rangoon on 21 April 1941 to control RAF units in Burma, moving to Windermere Park in the city ob 25 October.  It was renamed BURGROUP on 31 October but reverted to No 221 Group on 12 December 1941 and was transferred to India Command on 15 December.  In February 1942 it was again renamed, this time as NORGROUP and disbanded on 12 March 1942.

It reformed at La Martiniere School, 11 Loudon Street, Calcutta on 12 March 1942 to control all fighter and bomber squadrons in North-East India, moving to St Vincent de Paul's School, Asansol on 8 August.  On 12 December it returned to Calcutta and was reorganised as a Composite Group controlling Nos 165, 170, 175 and 293 Wings, later taking over No.168 Wing.  By March 1943 it had been redesignated No 221 (Bomber) Group, later being redesignated No 221 (Tactical) Group, moving to Imphal on 15 December 1943.  From 4 June 1944 its Rear HQ was at Silchar, returning to Imphal on 11 July and in December it was taken over by by 3rd TAF.  On 1 January 1945 it moved to Kalemyo (lndainggyi) with the Rear HQ still at Imphal, then to Kalemyo on 13 January and then to Monywa on 15 February, where it was joined by the Rear HQ from Imphal on 22 February.  On 12 April 1945 it moved to Meiktila, from where it despatched an Advanced HQ to Rangoon on 26 May but by June both elements had reunited at Rangoon.  It disbanded on 30 September 1945, its duties being taken over by RAF Burma.

Air Officers Commanding

17 Dec 1941                AVM D F Stevenson

20 Apr 1942                A/Cdre H J F Hunter

1 May 1943                 A/Cdre H V Rowley

17 Feb 1944                AVM S F Vincent

15 Jun 1945                 AVM C A Bouchier

14 Jul 1945                  A/Cdre A M Wray

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 222 Group

It was formed on paper on 1 April 1941 at National Mutual Building, Chatham Street, Colombo, Ceylon  as No 222 (General Reconnaissance) Group but it was 1 September 1941 before its official formation took place.  Coming under the command of HQ Far East Command, it was tasked with the control of RAF units in Ceylon and flying boat bases in the Indian Ocean and its islands.  On 20 December 1941, following the Japanese invasion of Malaya it was transferred to India Command, moving from the Naval Office to Baurs Building on 21 March 1942 and then to Colombo Secretariat on 31 March 1942.  On 1 July 1942 it assumed operational control of all long range flying boats in the Indian Ocean and in December 1944 took over the GR squadrons in No 225 Group.  It was disbanded by being redesignated AHQ Ceylon on 15 October 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1941:                Gp Capt F Woolley

13 Mar 1942                AVM J H D'Albiac

1 Dec 1942                  AVM A Lees

1 Apr 1944                  AVM-AM A Durston

xx Sep 1945                 AVM J D Breakey

 1 Oct 1945                  ?

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 223 Group

This was formed in Singapore on 9 August 1941 from AHQ Far East.  Moving to Kuala Lumper on 11 August 1941 it was redesignated NORGROUP on 24 November 1941. 

It reformed at Palembang around 18 January 1942 (sic) as a nucleus to control air operations in Sumatra but was immediately redesignated No 225 Group.

It reformed again, this time at Peshawar on 1 May 1942 as No 223 (Composite) Group by renumbering No 1 (Indian) Group to be responsible for the administration of all units on the North-West Frontier. On 29/30 November it moved to Rawalpindi, returning to Peshawar in May 1944, where it was redesignated No 1 (Indian) Group on 15 August 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

5 May 1942                A/Cdre P H Mackworth

2 Aug 1942                 A/Cdre A Gray

1 May 1943                A/Cdre H J F Hunter

5 Oct 1944                 A/Cdre H G Crowe

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 224 Group

This was formed at Singapore on 3 January 1942 as No 224 (Fighter) Group to control the squadrons providing air defence to Singapore.  With the Japanese capture of Singapore imminent it was evacuated to Batavia in February, after which there were no records and it was officially disbanded on 28 March 1942 at Mingaladon.

It reformed at Belvedere House, Calcutta on 1 April 1942 to take control of all fighter units in Assam and Bengal, taking over all the fighter squadrons from No.221 Group on 24 April.  On 3 October 1942 it was re-organised on a mobile basis, moving to Chittagong on 9 December, where it became a Composite Group controlling Nos 166, 167, 168 and 169 Wings (although it later lost No 168 Wing and gained No 274 Wing in its place)  B March 1943 it had become No 224 (Tactical) Group and on 11 December joined 3rd TAF.  Its movements after this point are shown in the table below and it was redesignated AHQ Malaya on 1 October 1945

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ Rear HQ
 5 Jan 1944 Dechuaplong to Bawli Bazar    
 6 Feb 1944 Advance Party to the west of Bawli Bazar    
By 1 Jun 1944 Chittagong    
20 Nov 1944   formed at Shalimpur Camp, near Cox's Bazar  
28 Feb 1945   Akyab  
 3 Mar 1945     Shalimpur Camp. near Cox's Bazar
unknown Arakan    
late May 1945 Madras    
21 Jul 1945 Ibalur (detachmant at Bombay)    
By Sep 1945 Kelanang (went ashore with Zipper force)    
14 Sep 1945 Telok Datok    
18 Sep 1945 Kuala Lumper    

It reformed at Kuala Lumper on 31 August 1957 from AHQ Malaya, moving to Seletar, Singapore on 6 April 1959 as a joint RAF/RAAF unit.  It was redesignated No 224 (Mobile) Group on 31 March 1967 but disbanded on 1 October 1968.

Air Officers Commanding

 3 Jan 1942                  Gp Capt E B Rice

18 Jan 1942                 A/Cdre S F Vincent

11 Apr 1942                 A/Cdre J L Vachell

11 Jul 1942                   Gp Capt J W C More (temporary)

24 Aug 1942                 A/Cdre G E Wilson (assumed command on 9 Oct)

2 Jan 1943                    A/Cdre A Gray

19 Jul 1944                   A/Cdre The Earl of Bandon

30 Sep 1945 - 31 Aug 1957    Disbanded

11 Jun 1957                 AVM V E Hancock (RAAF)

15 Jun 1959                 AVM R A R Rae

24 Jul 1962                  AVM F Headlam (RAAF)

30 Nov 1964               AVM C N Foxley-Norris

4 Mar 1967                 AVM B Eaton (RAAF)

wpe1.gif (84232 bytes)

Photograph showing Personnel of No 224 Group outside the Group HQ at Kuala Lumper, December 1957.  The AOC, AVM Hancock RAAF is shown in the centre, to the AOC's left is SAC Colin Lingley, who served with the author in the ATC (Courtesy of Karen and Andrew Thompson)

 

No 225 Group

This was formed at Palembang, Sumatra on 17 January 1942 as No 225 (Bomber) Group from No 223 Group.  On 14 February it moved to P.2 (Parabumulih) but following the Japanese victory was officially disbanded at Mingaladon on 28 March 1942. 

The nucleus assembled at Padgate on 3 February 1942, embarking at Liverpool for Bombay on 12 February, arriving on 12 April.  Two days later it was at Bangalore, where it officially reformed as No 225 (Composite) Group on 20 April 1942 absorbing No 2 (Indian) Group at the same time.  It was tasked with the air defence of southern India and the whole coastline from Bengal to Karachi and by January 1943 controlled Nos 172 and 173 Wings.  Between 26-31 March 1946 it moved to the former Hindustan Aircraft factory at Hindustan, near Bangalore, where it was redesignated No 2 (Indian) Group on 1 October 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Jan 1942                 A/Cdre H J F Hunter

30 Jun 1942                A/Cdre A G Bishop

2 Jun 1942                  A/Cdre P H Mackworth

16 Aug 1944               AVM N L Desoer

 4 May 1945               AVM H N Thornton

 5 Nov 1945               A/Cdre E F Waring

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 226 Group

This was formed at Singapore on 18 January 1942 as No 226 (Fighter) Group in Singapore to control those fighter squadrons which remained on the island for its defence.  It may have made it to Sumatra following the Japanese capture of Singapore or a new No 226 Group was formed at P1 (Palembang) with 50 Hurricanes from HMS Indomitable but it ceased to exist in March 1942 following the fall of Java.

It reformed at No 301 MU Drigh Road on 9 May 1942 as No 226 (Maintenance) Group, moving to Clifton, Karachi on 16 June and then to Palam on 16 January 1943. It disbanded on 31 July 1946, with its units being transferred to No.2 (Indian) Group.

Air Officers Commanding

13 Feb 1942               A/Cdre S F Vincent

Mar 1942 - 9 May 1942    Ceased to exist

9 May 1942                A/Cdre L M Iles

1 Feb 1945                 A/Cdre W L Freebody

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 227 (Training) Group

This was formed at the Nedeus Hotel, Lahore on 6 June 1942 to control all training units in India.  It moved to Lincoln Lodge, Altamount Road, Bombay on 6 February 1943, to 149-150 Narayan Dabholkar Road, Bombay on 5 May and then to Agra on 1 October 1944, where it was redesignated No 4 (Indian) Group in 1 May 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

24 Aug 1942                A/Cdre F J Vincent

xx xxx 1945                 AVM L F Pendred

xx xxx 1946                 AVM A L A Perry-Keene

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 228 Group

This originally formed in New Delhi on 22 February 1943 but disbanded on 15 May 1943. 

It reformed at Belvedere, Calcutta on 27 February 1945 as No 228 (Administrative) Group in ACSEA on the disbandment of RAF Bengal-Burma. It moved to Barrackpore on15-17 May, where absorbed No.230 Group, finally being redesignated No 3 (Indian) Group on 1 May 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

27 Feb 1945                    A/Cdre H F V Battle

 

No 229 (Transport) Group

This formed at New Delhi, using Palam airfield on 15 December 1943 from a nucleus provided by No 179 Wing. An  Advanced HQ was established at Kandy on 1 October 1944 and on 6 November it was decided that its airborne forces training was to be transferred to BAFSEA.  It disbanded on 31 March 1947, with is commitments being taken over by No 1 (Indian) Group.

Air Officers Commanding

16 Dec 1943               A/Cdre C E N Guest

23 Apr 1945               A/Cdre G T Jarman (Deputy AOC)

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 230 Group

This was formed from personnel of No.186 Wing on 15 December 1943 as No 230 (Maintenance) Group at Barrackpore and was absorbed into AHQ Burma on 16 May 1945.

It was reformed at Singapore on 1 April 1952 in Far East Air Force to control RAF units at Singapore and Changi and was redesignated AHQ Singapore on 16 February 1953.

Air Officers Commanding

3 Apr 1944                 A/Cdre P S Blockey

16 May 1945 - 1 Apr 1952    Disbanded

1 Apr 1952                 AVM W M L MacDonald

Barin the billet of No 230 Group personnel - 1944
HQ Personnel, No 230 Group - 1944
HQ Personnel, No 230 Group - 1944
HQ Personnel, No 230 Group - 1944
HQ Personnel, No 230 Group - 1944
Photos of personnel at HQ No 230 Group in 1944.  The top photo was taken at Christmas in their home-made bar in their billet.

Photos courtesy - Martin McDowell.

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 231 (Bomber) Group

This was to have formed in Far East Command in August 1941, but was formed as No 223 Group instead.

It finally formed at Belvedere, Calcutta on 12 December 1943 in Strategical Air Force, assuming executive control on 15 December. On 1 June 1945 it was regrouped to command RAF squadrons of the disbanded Allied Strategic Air Force.  It ceased operations on 1 August, by which time it had no units assigned and the HQ began to move to the Cocos Islands, but this was cancelled as the result of the Japanese surrender and it disbanded on 30 September 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

7 Jan 1944                   A/Cdre F J W Mellersh

15 Jun 1945                 Maj Gen J T Durrant SAAF

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 232 (Transport) Group

This was formed at Comilla on 24 February 1945 from the RAF Element of the Combat Cargo Task Force.  Around October it moved to Rangoon, leaving a detachment at Comilla and then in March 1946 it moved to Singapore, where it disbanded on 15 August 1946.  It was officially a Transport Command Group, operating under the control of HQ ACSEA.  It was to have been reformed the same day, as nucleus, but this was cancelled.

Air Officers Commanding

1 Jun 1945                 AVM J D I Hardman

 1 Jan 1946               A/Cdre A Earle

No 233 Group

This was formed at Bombay on 28 March 1945 to control RAF units allocated to Operation Roger but never became operational. It moved to Worli, Bombay on 16 June, finally disbanding on 30 June 1946. 

 

No 238 (Airborne Assault) Group

This was formed at Kashmir House, New Delhi on 20 April 1945 to control Nos.343 and 344 Wings,  Nos 96, 215, 668 and 673 Squadrons and No 1577 Special Duties Flight . On 20 July 1945 the Advanced  HQ moved to Bilaspur but on 11 September it was reduced to No 238 Wing.

 

No 241 (Special Operations) Group

This was formed at Richmond Terrace, Whitehall,  London on 1 January 1942, being intended for special operations in the Far East.  On 6 January it moved to the Metropole Building, Northumberland Ave. London to control Nos 293 and 294 Wings, Nos 101-103 R&SUs, Nos 75-77 ASPs and other units, but on 19 January it was decided not to form No 294 Wing, although approval was given to add No 292 Wing on 26 January. However, with the situation in the Far East having deteriorated it was disbanded at Montague House, Annexe House, Guards Ave. Whitehall on 14 July 1942 without becoming operational.

 

No 242 Group

The nucleus of this group was formed at the Air Ministry, London on 24 August 1942 for service under Eastern Air Command to support 1st Army in the North African campaign and was to control two fighter Wings and a light bomber Wing.  This nucleus arrived in Algiers on 13 November and was finally raised to Group status on 6 December, at which point it was split into two elements, an Advanced Party and a Main Party.  On 18 February 1943 it became part of Northwest African Tactical Air Force and then on 20 March was transferred to Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force but on 26 May was transferred to Northwest African Coastal Air Force.  By June 1944 it had been redesignated No 242 (Fighter) Group and disbanded on 14 September 1944.  The movements and locations of the various elements are shown in the table below: -

11.5.43 Adv Pty to  (and 13.5.43 to : 15.5.43 Main Pty to LA MARSA: 6.6.43 ; 30.9.43 NAPLES: 18.10.43 TARANTO: by 6.44 became p: Disbanded 14.9.44.

Date Nucleus Advanced Party Main Party
13 Nov 1942 arrived Algiers    
19 Nov 1942 Phillipeville    
20 Nov 1942 Jemappes    
22 Nov 1942 Constantine    
26 Nov 1942 Guelma    
28 Nov 1942 Ain Seymour Holiday Camp (Bizerte)    
25 Dec 1942   Souk-el-Arba Ghardimaou
23 Feb 1943   Bone Bone
24 Feb 1943   Souk-el-Khemis  
10 Mar 1943   Souk-el-Arba Souk-el-Arba
11 May 1943   Medjez el Bab  
13 May 1943   La Marsa  
15 May 1943   Thibar Thibar
 6 Jun 1943   Bizerte Bizerte
30 Sep 1943   Naples Naples
18 Oct 1943   Taranto Taranto

Air Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1942                 A/Cdre G M Lawson

22 Feb 1943                A/Cdre K B B Cross

24 Feb 1944                A/Cdre G Harcourt-Smith

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 246 Group

This was formed at Air Ministry, Whitehall, London SW1 on 3 Jul 1943 as 'Force 130' but three days later the Air Component become No 246 (Special Operations) Group.  It was intended to control Nos 96, 130 and 234 Squadrons being assembled at Honiley for Operation Kaolin, later renamed Operation Lemonade, which was the planned defence of Portuguese airfields and the ports of Lisbon and Oporto.  However on 4/5 August the Spitfire squadrons were dispersed and the Group disbanded on 9 August 1943.

 

No 247 (General Reconnaissance) Group

This was formed at Liverpool on 1 October 1943 within Coastal Command to control units operating from the Azores, embarking in HMT Franconia the same day It arrived at Angra on Terceira island on 8 October.  It initially controlled Nos 172, 179 and 220 Squadrons and on 4 December moved to Lagens, where it remained until it disbanded on 1 March 1946 into HQ RAF Azores.

Air Officers Commanding

18 Sep 1943                AVM G R Bromet

xx xxx 1946                 A/Cdre H F G Southey

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 300 (Transport) Group

This was formed at Camden, New South Wales, Australia on 24 Apr 1945 by renaming No 300 Wing to control RAF transport units in Australia.   In January 1946 it moved to 6 Tivoli Place, South Yarra, Melbourne and on 4 January an Advance Party left Essendon, arriving at Leyte on 5 January and Kowloon on 6 January.  On 31 March 18946 it reverted to the title No.300 (Transport) Wing, with the Rear HQ at  Camden disbanding on 17 April and a Forward Rear Party moved to 426 George Street, Sydney on 21 June, closing on 7 November 1946.  It was officially a Transport Command Group, operating under control of HQ ACSEA.

Air Officers Commanding

31 Jul 1945                 AVM A Earle

 

No 333 (Special Operational) Group

This was formed at Ruislip and Norfolk House, London on 1 September 1942 for Operation Torch.  The Advance Party sailed from Avonmouth in SS Orontes on 13 November 1942, disembarking at Hussein Dey on 23 November, the remainder arrived on 6 December, but the Group had been absorbed into Eastern Air Command on 19 November.

This page was last updated on 01/11/17 

[Top of Page]

Back to Main Group Index Main Group Index