Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Groups 50 - 67


[Badges]

No 50 (Training) Group

This was formed at RAF Hendon on 1 February 1939 by renaming No 26 (Training) Group and transferring it to Reserve Command to control all E & RFTS (later redesignated EFTS).  It then undertook a number of moves, firstly to 11 Tavistock Place, London WC1 on 3 April 1939, to 'Sambourne', The Avenue, Sneyd Park, Bristol 9 on 27 August and finally to 'Sylvesters'. Berkeley Avenue, Reading on 1 May 1940.  When Training Command was split into Flying Training and Technical Training Command on 27 May 1940, Reserve Command was disbanded and No 50 Group was transferred to Flying Training Command.  Following a reorganisation on 7 Jul 1940 it became responsible for Nos 1, 2, 3, 8, 13, 18 and & 22 EFTS as well as Nos 2, 5, 6 and 11 AONS.  It finally disbanded on 31 May 1947.

Air Officers Commanding

1 Feb 1939          Gp Capt - A/Cdre H G Bowen

15 Sep 1943        A/Cdre C E W Lockyer

17 Apr 1944        A/Cdre J J Williamson

 1 Feb 1946         A/Cdre E D Barnes

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 51 (Training) Group

This was formed at Hendon on 11 May 1939 in Reserve Command, having originally been planned to form as No 27 Group in Edinburgh.  Its formation permitted the control of the E&RFTSs (later EFTSs) to be shared with No 50 Group and on 8 August 1939 it moved to Moorfield House, Alma Road, Otley Road, Leeds 6.  When Training Command was split into Flying Training and Technical Training Command on 27 May 1940, Reserve Command was disbanded and No 50 Group was transferred to Flying Training Command. Following a reorganisation on 7 Jul 1940 it became responsible for Nos.4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 24 EFTS as well as Nos 1 and  4 AONS.  It finally disbanded into No.50 Group on 14 July 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

11 May 1939         Gp Capt J Noakes

30 May 1940:        A/Cdre B E Baker 

7 Mar 1942           A/Cdre G C Bailey

12 Jun 1944           A/Cdre D Iron

 

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 52 (Training) Group

This was due to form in Bristol by March 1939 in Reserve Command, but formation never took place.

 

No 53 (Training) Group

This was due to form in Nottingham by March 1939 in Reserve Command, but formation never took place.  It had been planned for it to take over Nos 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 14, 26, 31 and 33 E&RFTSs from No.50 Group

 

No 54 (Training) Group

This was formed at 'Sylvesters', Berkeley Avenue, Reading on 30 August 1939 in Reserve Command to control the Initial Training Wings, assuming executive control on 9 January 1940. On 26 March.1940 it moved to Barbados, East Parade, Bexhill-on-Sea.  When Training Command was split into Flying Training and Technical Training Command on 27 May 1940, Reserve Command was disbanded and No 54 Group was transferred to Flying Training Command.  It moved to 'Alta Vista', Higher Warberry Road, Torquay on 1 July 1940 and from January 1941 controlled the new UASs from until 1 January 1942 when they were transferred to the direct control of the Air Ministry.  Its final move took place on 1 September 1941 to Dormy House (and Tile House), Sunningdale, Berkshire, where it disbanded on 17 June 1946.

It reformed at Benson on 1 April 1951 as No.54 (Training) Group in Flying Training Command to control the Initial Training Wings and Grading Schools.  Its units were transferred to No 21 Group on 24 June 1953 and disbanded on 10 July.

Air Officers Commanding

30 Aug 1939         A/Cdre A C Critchley

21 Jun 1943          AVM G R M Reid

xx xxx xxxx            A/Cdre W J Seward

 24 Jan 1946          A/Cdre A P Ledger

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 60 (Signals) Group

This was formed at "Oxenden", Plantation Road, Leighton Buzzard on 23 March 1940 in Fighter Command to control RDF (Radar) Stations, No 2 Installation Unit, Special Calibration Unit and Special Flight, Martlesham Heath.  It amalgamated with No 26 Group to form No 90 (Signals) Group on 25 April 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

23 Feb 1940        A/Cdre A L Gregory

27 Mar 1942        AVM R S Aitken

24 Feb 1944         AVM W E Theak

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 61 Group

This was formed at RAF Aldergrove on 1 July 1940 in Northern Ireland, moving to Dunlambert Hotel, Fort William Park, Belfast on 6 July but was redesignated RAF in Northern Ireland on 1 August 1940.

It reformed at "Charlbury", Chorley Wood Road, Rickmansworth as No 61 (Eastern Reserve) Group on 2 May 1946 within Reserve Command. On 1 August 1946 it moved to Kenley, being renamed No 61 (Eastern) Group on 1 August 1950 on transfer to Home Command and absorbed No 65 Group on 1 February 1951.  It was renamed No 61 (Southern Reserve) Group on 1 January 1957 and disbanded on 31 May 1959.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Jul 1940         Gp Capt C R Carr

 1 Aug 1940 - 2 May 1946    Disbanded

3 Jan 1949               AVM T N McEvoy

 7 Nov 1950            Gp Capt R J Gosnall (SASO)

12 Feb 1951            AVM W J Seward

3 May 1954             AVM F St G Braithwaite

2 Apr 1956              AVM J M Cohu

12 Apr 1957            AVM E J Corbally

 

No 62 Group

This was formed at 17 Sylvan Road, Pennsylvania, Exeter on 15 May 1946 as No 62 (Southern Reserve) Group within Reserve Command.  It moved to RAF Middle Wallop on 2 July and then to Rudloe Manor, Box on 26 January 1948, where it was renamed No 62 (Southern) Group on 1 August 1950 on transfer to Home Command.  On 16 June 1952 it moved to Pucklechurch, where it was absorbed into No 61 Group on 1 January 1957.

Air Officers Commanding

16 May 1949           A/Cdre C A Stevens

24 Sep 1951            A/Cdre R Coats

5 Sep 1953              A/Cdre B C Yarde

22 Sep 1954            A/Cdre M H Dwyer

16 Jan 1956             A/Cdre J R Hallings-Pott

 

No 63 Group

This was formed at 162 Manchester Road, Wilmslow on 2 May 1946 as No 63 (Western & Welsh Reserve) Group within Reserve Command.   Moving to Hawarden on 23 July, it was renamed No 63 (Western & Welsh) Group on 1 August 1950 on transfer to Home Command.  It disbanded into No 64 Group on 1 February 1957.

Air Officers Commanding

1946 - 48               A/Cdre R L Ragg

22 Mar 1948          A/Cdre G H Vasse

16 Feb 1951           A/Cdre W H Merton

1 Dec 1952             A/Cdre W S Hebden

15 Sep 1955           A/Cdre J B M Wallis

 

No 64 Group

This was formed at 11 Melbourne Avenue, Norton, Sheffield 10 on 2 May 1946 as No 64 (Northern Reserve) Group within Reserve Command.  On 1 May 1947 it moved to Heslington Hall, near York, where it was renamed No 64 (Northern) Group on 1 August 1950 on transfer to Home Command.  It moved to Rufforth on 15 January 1953, where it disbanded on 31 March 1959.

Air Officers Commanding

13 Dec 1948            A/Cdre A D Gillmore

10 May 1951           A/Cdre J Warburton

6 Sep 1953              A/Cdre R L Kippenberger

17 Jul 1954              A/Cdre E L S Ward

18 Feb 1957            AVM H V Satterley

 

No 65 Group

This was formed at St.Regis Hotel, Cork Street, London W1 on 2 May 1946 as No 65 (London Reserve) Group within Reserve Command, moving to The Hyde, Hendon, London W9 on 22 August.  On 1 August 1950 it was renamed No 65 (London) Group on transfer to Home Command and disbanded into No.61 Group on 1 February 1951.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Apr 1948         A/Cdre E D H Davies

1 Jul 1949             A/Cdre A J M Akerman

 

No 66 Group

This was formed at 4 Regents Terrace, Edinburgh on 2 May 1946 as No 66 (Scottish Reserve) Group within Reserve Command, moving to RAF Turnhouse on 9 August 1946.  On 1 August 1950 it was renamed No 66 (Scottish) Group on transfer to Home Command and moved to HMS Lochinvar, Butlaw Camp, RN Station Port  Edgar on 22 November 1954, where it disbanded into No.64 Group on 1 February 1957.

 Air Officers Commanding

2 May 1946             A/Cdre C S Cadell

1 May 1947              A/Cdre E S Burns

25 Jan 1950              A/Cdre A R Wardle

3 Nov 1952              A/Cdre P D Cracroft

10 Sep 1953             A/Cdre C S Moore

19 Sep 1955             A/Cdre J M Warfield

 

No 67 Group

This was formed at RAF Aldergrove on 31 March 1950 as No 67 (Northern Ireland Reserve) Group from RAF in Northern Ireland, moving to Edenmoor (Hotel), Whiteabbey. Belfast (renamed Edenmore on 15 April 1956).  It was renamed No 67 (Northern Ireland) Group on 1 August 1950 on transfer to Home Command and disbanded into No.64 Group on 28 February 1957.

Air Officers Commanding

1 Mar 1950             A/Cdre B V Reynolds

19 Apr 1950             A/Cdre N A P Pritchett

20 Aug 1951             A/Cdre H G J E Proud

25 Oct 1954             A/Cdre G W Hayes

 

This page was last updated on 29/10/17

[Top of Page]

Back to Main Group Index Main Group Index                                                              Groups 70 - 106  Forward to Groups 10 - 19