Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Group 70 - 106


[Badges]

No 70 (Army Co-Operation Training) Group

This was formed as No.70 (Army Co-operation Training & Development) Group at Farnborough on 25 November 1940 from No 22 (Army Co-operation) Group in Fighter Command.  It was transferred to Army Co-operation Command on its formation on 1 December 1940.  When Army Co-operation Command was disbanded it was transferred to ADGB on 1 June 1943 and disbanded on 17 July 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

 1 Dec 1940              A/Cdre J B Cole-Hamilton

21 Nov 1941            A/Cdre C E V Porter

28 Nov 1942            G/C H R McL Reid (SASO/Acting AOC)

12 Jul 1943               A/Cdre H B Russell

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 71 (Army Co-Operation ) (Operational)  Group

This was formed at FARNBOROUGH on 25 November 1940 from No 22 (Army Co-operation) Group in Fighter Command, but was transferred to Army Co-operation Command on 1 December 1940.  The Air Staff relocated to an Advanced HQ at St Paul's School. Hammersmith, leaving a Rear HQ with the Admin Staff at "The Wolds", Wentworth Estate.  On 1 January 1941 the Advanced HQ moved to Storey's Gate, London SW1 and on 3 March 1941 the Rear HQ moved to Dormie House Golf Club, Sunningdale, Berkshire, where it was joined by the Advanced HQ on 13 March.  It disbanded on 14 August  with the operational squadrons being administered directly by HQ Army Co-operation Command until the Wings were formed on 22 August 1941.

Air Officers Commanding

25 Nov 1940           Gp Capt N L Desoer (SASO)

 1 Dec 1940            AVM P C Maltby

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 72 (Army Co-Operation Training) Group

This was formed at Farnborough Court, Farnborough on 16 September 1942 within Army Co-operation Command to control the RAF Regiment training units. On 12 October 1942 it moved to South Farnborough and on on 1 June 1943 was transferred to Technical Training Command but was amalgamated with No.20 Group to form a new No.22 Group on 1 August 1943.

Air Officers Commanding

1942 - 43                 A/Cdre G B Dacre

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 81 (Training) Group

This was formed at Sealand on 16 December 1940 in Fighter Command to control Fighter OTUs.  On 19 February 1941 it moved to Tallow Hall/Municipal Homes, Worcester, then to Avening Court, Avening, near Stroud in Gloucestershire on 22 January December 1941.  It finally disbanded on 20 April 1943 with its units being transferred to No.9 Group

It Reformed at Watnall on 1 January 1952 in Fighter Command to control its training units, moving to Rudloe Manor, Box, Wiltshire on 16 June 1952, where it disbanded on 31 March 1958.

Air Officers Commanding

16 Dec 1940             A/Cdre F J Vincent

29 Jul 1942               A/Cdre W H Dunn

20 Apr 1943 - 1 Jan 1952    Disbanded

1 Jan 1952                A/Cdre L W C Bower

xx Jan 1954               A/Cdre C C McMullen

19 Feb 1954             Vacant

2 Apr 1954               A/Cdre H A V Hogan

15 Aug 1955             A/Cdre R C Mead

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 82 (Fighter) Group

This was formed at 63 Somerton Road, Belfast on 21 July 1941 to provide for the air defence of Northern Ireland dockyards and, if necessary, Eire.  On 13 September 1941 it moved to Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast, where it was absorbed into RAF in Northern Ireland on 15 October 1942.

Air Officers Commanding

21 Jul 1941             A/Cdre G M Lawson

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 83 Group

This was formed at Redhill on 1 April 1943 as No 83 (Composite) Group from 'Z' Group which had been formed on a temporary basis for Exercise Spartan but intended for service with AEAF/2nd TAF. Intended as a mobile unit it was initially located in the UK but moved to the Continent on D+1, 7 June 1944 and then moved forward, constantly following the advance of the ground forces through Northern Europe into Germany until it was absorbed by No 84 Group on 21 April 1946. The table below shows its movements during this period: -

Date Advanced HQ Rear HQ
23 Apr 1943 Gatton Park, Reigate  
By 3 Jul 1943   Detling
10 Oct 1943   Gatwick
15.4.44 Purbrook Heath Hinton Daubney
 7 Jun 1944 Graye-Surmer and then on to Banville  
8 Jun 1944 near Cruelly  
 3 Aug 1944 Le Tronquay  
11 Aug 1944 Tracy-Bocage  
26 Aug 1944 Les Trinite des Laitieres  
About 1 Sep 1944   Epieds
 2 Sep 1944 near Grandvillers  
3 Sep 1944 Meantissart  
 7 Sep 1944 Lombeke Ste Marie  
 9 Sep 1944 Waterloo  
12 Sep 1944   East of Kessel
13 Sep 1944 Hollebeke  
xx Sep 1944   Courtenbert
21 Sep 1944 near Axel  
 1Oct 1944 Dummelhuis Hotel, Eindhoven  
10 Oct 1944   Gemert, Eindhoven
11 Oct 1944   near Castle of Holy Ghost, Gemert
20 Oct 1944   St.Franciscus Schc Valkenswaard
10 Apr 1945 Mettingen, near Ibbenburen  
14 Apr 1945    Lechtingen
22 Apr 1945 Blickwedel, Wunstorf  
24 Apr 1945   Boye. nr Celle
26 Apr 1945   B.152 Fassberg
28 Apr 1945 Bispingen  
 6 May 1945 Luneberg  
 7 Jun 1945 Schleswig See Schleswig See, ex Timmersloh
15-31 Aug 1945 Grove  

It reformed at Wahn on 9 July 1952 within 2nd TAF to control its southern area and disbanded on 16 June 1958.

It was reformed again on 1 April 2006 from the UK Air Component HQ at Al Udeid as No 83 Expeditionary Air Group.

Air Officers Commanding

21 Mar 1943             AVM W F Dickson

25 Mar 1944             AVM H Broadhurst

xx Sep 1945:             AVM T C Traill

21 Apr 1946 - 9 Jul 1952    Disbanded

 9 Jul 1952                ?

16 Jun 1958 - 1 Apr 2006 Disbanded

 1 Apr 2006

xx xxx 2006                A/Cdre B M North

xx xxx 2006                A/Cdre C A Bairsto

xx xxx xxxx (2007)     A/Cdre P Oborn

xx xxx xxxx                 A/Cdre M J Harwood

22 Aug 2008              A/Cdre A Barmby

22 May 2009              A/Cdre S D Atha

 5 Feb 2010                A/Cdre K B McCann

xx Jan 2011                A/Cdre A D Stevenson

16 Dec 2011               A/Cdre S D Forward

xx Dec 2012                A/Cdre P J Beech

14 Dec 2013                A/Cdre A K Gillespie

xx Dec 2014                A/Cdre M E Sampson

xx Nov 2016               A/Cdre J J Stringer

xx Nov 2017               A/Cdre R J Dennis

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 84 (Composite) Group

This was formed at Cowley Barracks, Oxford on 15 July 1943 for service with 2nd TAF. By 24 July a Rear HQ had been formed at Slade Camp, Cowley.  For the very beginning the Group was established to be mobile and was soon putting its abilities to the test, prior to moving to the Continent.  Its advanced party eventually moved to the Continent on 6 July 1944, with the main body arriving on 8 August, from which point it  moved forward, constantly following the advance of the ground forces through Northern Europe into Germany, where it absorbed No 83 Group on 21 April 1946 and disbanded at Celle on 15 December 1947.  The table below shows its movements during this period 

Date Advanced HQ Rear HQ
21 Aug 1943 Shotover Plain (for Exercise Columbine)  
29 Aug 1943 Milland Place, near Liphook  
20 Sep 1943 Sunderlandwick Hall, near Hutton Cranswick Milland Place
27 Sep 1943   Slade Camp, Cowley
14 Oct 1943   Headington Hill Hall, near Oxford
xx Oct 1943 Hickleton Hall, nr Doncaster  
16 Oct 1943 Stoke Rochford Hall, nr Grantham  
19 Oct 1943 Ampthill PARK  
22 Oct 1943 Cowley Barracks  
By 2 Jan 1944   Headington Hill Hall:
 1 Apr 1944 Headley Court, near Leatherhead  
22 Apr 1944   Oakwood Park, Sussex
 6 May 1944 Boxhill (for exercise)  
13 May 1944 Goodwood Park, Chichester  
23 May 1944   Goodwood Park
 6 Jul 1944 Adv Party to Amblie  
 8 Aug 1944 Amblie  
20 Aug 1944   Amblie
 2 Sep 1944 Franqueville  
 3 Sep 1944 Brionne  
 6 Sep 1944 Cremont  
 8 Sep 1944 Pihem  
26 Sep 1944 Laethem St Martin  
21 Sep 1944   Hutte
 1 Oct 1944 Nachtegaelshoek, Antwerp  
10 Oct 1944   Hingene
30 Oct 1944   Château du Horst
17 Nov 1984 Chase Barracks, Breda  
30 Nov 1944   Naval Barracks, Breda
13 Dec 1944 Tilburg  
14 Dec 1944 Zingbaan Zuid, Goire  
By 2 Jan 1945   Harenthal
xx xxx 1945   s'Hertogenbosch
 7 Mar 1945 Grave  
16 Mar 1945   Velpe
18 Apr 1945 Delden  
21 Apr 1945   Delden
By 25 Apr1945 Institute des Securs Mediatric, 482 Chaussee de Court: Ghent  
By 10 Jul 1945 Scheuen  
31 Aug 1945 Brandenburg Barracks, Celle  

Air Officers Commanding

15 Jul 1943                 A/Cdre T N McEvoy (SASO)

10 Nov 1943              AVM L O Brown

10 Nov 1944              AVM E C Hudleston

18 Mar 1946              AVM P E Maitland

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 85 Group

The nucleus of this Group was formed in the Sports Pavilion, RAF Uxbridge on 17 December 1943 as No 85 Group for service with 2nd TAF.  Its task was to provide Base maintenance facilities on the Continent for the Composite Groups supporting the 21st Army Group and air defence of the Base area, although in the initial stage of the campaign it would operate from the UK.  It moved to Hillingdon on 6 January 1944, where it was renamed No 85 (Base) Group on 14 February, eventually moving to the Continent in August, where it was transferred to 2nd TAF on 12 August.  On 12 October 1944 it was redesignated No.85 (Maintenance and Training) Group but was reduced to No 85 Wing on 1 July 1946.  Whilst not a mobile unit it was transportable and followed the advance of the Composite Groups as they moved eastwards into Germany, it locations for this period are shown in the table below.

Date Advanced HQ Rear HQ
By Mar 1944 RAF Acklington  
16 Mar 1944 Blakelaw, Newcastle-upon-Tyne  
17 Aug 1944 Chateau Ste Roi St Croix Blakelaw, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
10 Sep 1944   Chateau Ste Roi St Croix
 4 Oct 1944   Closed down
28 Sep 1944 Institute des Secure Mediatrices, 482 Chausse de Courtrai, Ghent  
By 10 July 1945 Luftgau, Blankenese/Hamburg  

It reformed at Utersen on 1 December 1948 from No.85 Wing as the base Group HQ in BAFO but disbanded on 1 July 1950.

Air Officers Commanding

17 Dec 1943                ?

13 Feb 1944                AVM J B Cole-Hamilton

10 Jul 1944                  AVM C R Steele

26 Apr 1945                AVM D A Boyle

12 Jul 1945                  AVM A L Paxton

xx Jun 1946                 A/Cdre L W Cannon

xx xxx 1948                 A/Cdre C D Adams

1 Oct 1949                  A/Cdre P Jones

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 87 (Transport) Group

This was formed at Hotel Monsigny, Rue Monsigny, Paris on 17 February 1945 to take over control of units previously controlled by HQ RAF Unit Paris as well as units in southern France. On 21 June 1945 the Advanced HQ moved to Château St.Leger, 29 Rue Alexandre, St Germaine with the Main HQ moving to Château le Lonche, Bougival, near Paris on 1 July.  On 15 July 1945 it was renamed No 87 (Transport) Group, under the control of Transport Command and was reduced to No 87 Wing on 15 July 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

24 Apr 1945                A/Cdre A J M Akerman

 5 Feb 1946                A/Cdre H N Thornton

 

No 88 (Fighter) Group

This was formed at Kinnellan House, Murrayfield Road. Edinburgh on 7 May 1945 to take part in "Apostle" and "Doomsday" operations in Norway.  An element left for Oslo on 12 May and the main element arrived at Gardermoen on 1 June, leaving a Rear HQ at Turnhouse.  The Rear HQ moved Oslo on 8 June with the Norwegian units being disbanded  on 20 November whilst the remainder returned to Dunsfold in the UK and began disbanding on 30 November, the process being complete by 31 December 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

7 May 1945             A/Cdre J A Boret

 

No 90 (Signals) Group

This was formed at Danesfield Court, Medmenham, Marlow on 24 April 1946, taking over the functions of No 26, 60 and 100 Group and No 80 Wing.  On 3 November 1958 it was raised to Command status as HQ Signals Command.

On 1 January 1969 Signals Command at Medmenham was reduced Group status within Strike Command as No 90 (Signals) Group. On 1 September 1972 control was transferred to Maintenance Command and when this Command was disbanded it RAF Support Command  it was redesignated Support Command Signals Headquarters on 31 August 1973.

Air Officers Commanding

25 Apr 1946            AVM E B Addison

15 Feb 1949            AVM R G Hart

18 Jun 1951             AVM W E Theak

1 Feb 1954             AVM J G W Weston

1 Mar 1956             AVM L Dalton-Morris

3 Nov 1958 - 1 Jan 1969    Disbanded

1 Jan 1969               AVM L H Moulton

15 Feb 1971            AVM H Durkin

 

No 91 (Operation Training/Bomber OTU) Group

This was formed from No.6 Group at Abingdon on11 May 1942 to take over control of a number of Bomber Command OTUs.  On 14 April 1947 it moved to Morton Hall, Swinderby, where it was absorbed into No 21 Group on 1 May 1947..

Air Officers Commanding

11 May 1942           A/Cdre -AVM H S P Walmsley

8 Feb 1944              AVM J A Gray

1946 - 47                 AVM F J W Mellersh

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 92 (Operation Training/Bomber OTU) Group

This was formed at Winslow Hall, Winslow on 11 May 1942 by renaming No 7 Group to take over control of a number of Bomber Command OTUs and disbanded on 15 July 1945

Air Officers Commanding

14 May 1942             A/Cdre H A Haines

17 Mar 1943             AVM H K Thorold

23 Feb 1945              AVM G S Hodson

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 93 (Operation Training/Bomber OTU) Group

This was formed at Lichfield on 15 June 1942 to take over control of a number of Bomber Command OTUs, moving to Egginton Hall, Eggington, Derby on 7 July and disbanded on 14 February 1945

Air Officers Commanding

15 Jun 1942             A/Cdre P E Maitland

25 Feb 1943            A/Cdre A P Ritchie

24 Feb 1944            AVM O T Boyd

9 Aug 1944             AVM G S Hodson

1 Nov 1944             ?

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 100 (Special Duties/Bomber) Group

This was formed as No 100 (Special Duties) Group at Aldenham Lodge Hotel, Radlett on 8 November 1943 to take control of Bomber Commands RCM and Support units.  On 3 December it moved to RAF West Raynham and then on 18 January 1944 to Bylaugh Hall, East Dereham.  It was retitled as No 100 (Bomber) Group on 25 March 1944 and finally disbanded on 15 December 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

3 Dec 1943             AVM E B Addison (appointed 8 Nov 1943)

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 106 (Photo Reconnaissance) Group

This was formed at Fifield House, Benson on 14 Apr 1944 from No 106 (PR) Wing under the control of Coastal Command.  It disbanded on 15 August 1946 with the creation of the Central Photographic Establishment.

Air Officers Commanding

 1 Jul 1944               A/Cdre D J Waghorn

16 May 1945           A/Cdre A W B McDonald

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

This page was last updated on 30/10/17

[Top of Page]

Back to Main Group Index Main Group Index                                                                    Groups 200 - 333  Forward to Groups 10 - 19