Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Nos 1 - 50 Wings


This list does not include Initial Training Wings, which are listed under Ground Training Units.

1st/No 1 Wing

It was formed at St Omer on 29 November 1914 as 1st Wing, RFC initially with Nos 2 and 3 Squadrons.  It made a number of moves during its existence, being redesignated 1st (Corps) Wing in September 1915 and on 30 January 1916 came under the control of the newly formed 1st Brigade.  It finally disbanded on 5 March 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
29 Nov 1914 St Omer  
xx Dec 1914 Merville  
 4 Jan 1915 The Château, 2m NE of Lillers  
 1 Feb 1915 Aire  
Mar - May 1915   Merville for the Battle of Neuve-Chapelle
Sep 1915   Hinges
By 20 Mar 1916 Bethune  
12 Jan 1917 Chocques  
3 Apr 1917 Bruay  
22 Mar 1918 Hill 180, 1m NE of Baraile  
15 Oct 1918 ERCHIN  
 7 Nov 1918 10 rue Grande Fossnot, Valenciennes  
By 15 Nov 1918 Villers Campeux  

 

Squadron Dates
No 2 Nov 1914 - Feb 1919
No 3 Nov 1914 - Apr 1915
No 4 Nov 1917 - Apr 1918
No 5 Mar 1917 - Nov 1918
No 6 Aug 1918
No 8 Aug 1918 - Sep 1918
No 10 Jul  1916 - Nov 1917
No 13 Apr 1918 - Aug 1918
No 15 Jul  1917 - Aug 1917
No 16 Mar 1915 - Mar 1916 and Sep 1916 - Feb 1919
No 18 Nov 1915 - Feb 1916, Apr 1916 - Jul  1916 and Aug 1916 - Sep 1916
No 19 Feb 1919
No 21 Sep 1917 - Aug 1918
No 27 Jan 1916
No 35 Jul  1917 - Nov 1917
No 42 Mar 1918 - xxx 1918, Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
No 69 Sep 1917  -  Nov 1917
No 82 Nov 1917 - Feb 1917
'L' FIt Jul  1918 - Feb 1919

Officers Commanding

29 Nov  1914           Lt Col H M Trenchard

10 May 1915            Lt Col E B Ashmore

 1 Nov 1915             Lt Col J H W Becke

20 Jan 1916              Lt Col T W C Carthew

 5 Dec 1917              Lt Col E L Gossage

xx Jan 1919               Lt Col C F A Portal

It reformed on 15 May 1919 as No 1 (Yatesbury) Wing by redesignating No 28 Wing  at Yatesbury but disbanded on 15 September 1919.

On 5 January 1925 it reformed as No 1 (Army Co-operation) Wing in No 7 Group at South Farnborough to control Nos 4 and 13 Squadrons but disbanded on 12 April 192 Jun 19

Officers Commanding

 5 Jan 1925            Wg Cdr P C Maltby

Further details of units and personnel assigned to this Wing are contained in the Members Area.

It next reformed in HMS Cyclops on 23 September 1937 as No 1 (General Reconnaissance) Wing, HMS Cyclops being the depot ship of the 1st Submarine Flotilla, whose shore base was at Kalafrana on Malta.  It was tasked with the control of Nos 209 and 210 Squadron, which had been tasked with acting as a counter to Italian submarines which might consider attacking shipping off the Spanish coast during the Spanish Civil War.  It moved to Arzeu (Algeria) on 30 September 1937, where it disbanded on 15 December 193 Jul 19 

No 1 (General Reconnaissance) Wing was reformed on 25 August 1939 as onboard the MV Dumana but at 23:59 the same day was redesignated No 86 Wing.  This was probably due to No 1 (Bomber) Wing being formed the same day at Ismailia to assume control of Nos 30 and 55 Squadrons, but was redesignated No 251 Wing on 22 September 193 Sep 19

A new No 1 Wing was formed on 22 January 1940, this time as No 1 (Balloon Barrage) Wing at Sutton Coldfield to join the BEF in France.  It was tasked with the control of Nos 912 Squadron at Boulogne and 914 Squadron at Le Havre.  On 18 February it moved to Titchfield, then on 19 February to Southampton, wher it embarked for Le Havre, were it joined the Air Component of the BEF.  It was established at No 11 Rue Delpech, Amiens on 10 March but folloWing the German invasion it found itself on the move to Le Havre on 19 May, Quillebeuf on 21 May, Bernay on 22 May and then Nantes on 23 May.  On 31 May it was in transit, from Le Havre, back to the UK, arriving in Southampton on 2 June and disbanded on 24 June 1940, possiblt at Cardington.

Its final incarnation, so far, began in October 1958 when it reformed as No 1 (Signals) Wing at Butzweilerhof in 2nd TAF but under the control of Bomber Command, disbanding in September 196 Jan 19

No 1 (Indian) Wing

This was formed at Dera Ismail Khan in April 1920 by redesignating No 3 (Indian) Wing.  By January 1921 it had moved to Peshawar and then to Kohat on 1 November 1928, its title being restyled as No 1 (Indian Wing) Station at the same time under the control of  No 1 (Indian) Group, until at least June 193 Aug 19

Further details of units and personnel (including OCs) assigned to this Wing are contained in the Members Area.

2nd/No 2 Wing

This was formed 29 November 1914 at Bailleul as 2nd Wing, RFC, becoming 2nd (Corps) Wing on 10 February 1916 when it joined 2nd Brigade on its formation.  On 24 December 1917 it absorbed 3rd Wing and finally disbanded on 12 September 1919.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
29 Nov 1914 Bailleul  
3 Jan 1915 39 Rue de l'Eglise, Hazebrouck  
About Apr 1915 Steenvorde  
27 May 1915   Poperinghe
xx Jul 1915 Dunkerque  
25 Sep 1915 Cassel to at least 20 Mar 1916  
by Jul 1916 Eecke  
xx May 1917 Bailleul  
xx Jul 1917 Mont Rouge  
10 Apr 1918 Winnezeele  
W/E 23 Apr 1918 Oxelaere (Cassel) to at least Aug 1918  
by 18 Sep 1918 Zuytpeene  
by 15 Nov 1918 Menin  
About 26 Nov 1918 Peronne  
6 Dec 1918 Elsenborn Camp  
14 Dec 1918 47 Comos Strasse, Bruhl  

 

Squadron Dates
No 1 Mar 1915 - Jan 1917
No 4 Apr 1915, May 1917 - Jun 1917, Sep 1917 - Nov 1917, Apr 1918 - Nov 1918
No 5 Nov 1914 - 10 1916,  Nov 1918 -  May 1919
No 6 Nov 1914 - Nov 1917, Apr 1918 - May 1918, Nov 1918
No 7 Sep 1915 - Jul 1916,  May 1917 - Jun 1917, Nov 1917 - May 1919
No 8 Apr 1915 - Jul 1917, from May 1919
No 9 Nov 1917 - Apr 1918
No 10 Nov 1917 - Nov 1918
No 12 Mar 1919 - May 1919
No 15 Jan 1916 - Feb 1916
No 16 from Jul 1916
No 20 Jan 1916 - Feb 1916
No 21 Mar1917 - Jun 1917, Sep 1917 - Apr 1918
No 42 Aug 1916 - Nov 1917
No 46 Oct 1916 - Apr 1917
No 52 Nov 1918
No 53 Jan 1917 - Mar 1918
No 59 Mar 1919 - May 1919
No 69 Nov 1917 - Jan 1918
No 70 Dec 1918
No 82 Aug 1918 - Nov 1918
No 207 Jul 1919 - Aug 1919
No 3 AFC Jan 1918 - Apr 1918
No 4 AFC Nov 1918 - Dec 1918
'M' FIt

Oct 1918 - May 1919

Officers Commanding

29 Nov  1914        Lt Col C J Burke

xx xxx 1915           Lt Col J M Salmond

 1 Feb 1916?          Lt Col C A H Longcroft

28 Aug 1916          Lt Col C F de S Murphy

26 Sep 1917?         Maj D V J Blake (Acting)

xx xxx 1918           Lt Col A S Barratt

It reformed as No 2 (Plymouth) Wing on 15 May 1919 at Cattewater in No 10 Group to control No 238 Squadron but disbanded on 12 July 1919.

It reformed at Heliopolis on 25 August 1939 as No 2 (Bomber) Wing but was redesignated No 251 Wing on 21 September  193 Sep 19

It reformed again on 3 November 1941, this time at LG-102 Sidi Haneish as No 2 Operational Wing to control No 112 Squadron RAF and No 3 Squadron RAAF.  It moved to LG-122 Fort Maddalena on 18 November, where it disbanded later that month, possibly into No 258 Wing.


No 2 (Indian) Wing

This was formed at Risalpur in July 1920, moving to Ambala on 10 October 1921, then back to Risalpur on 22 October 192 Feb 19  It was restyled No 2 (Indian Wing) Station on 1 November 1928 and on 9 August 1939 moved to Tengah, Singapore in Far East Command with Nos 11 and 39 Squadrons, to prove the concept that the Far East could be reinforced from India, should the need arise.  It moved to Kallang on 8 September before returning to India, 'A' Echelon  arriving at Lahore on 19 April 1940 and 'B' Echelon on 21 April 1940 but was retrospectively disbanded with effect from 15 April 1940.  Further details of units and personnel (including OCs) assigned to this Wing are contained in the Members Area.

It reformed at Ballygunge on 1 December 1941 as No 2 (Fighter) Wing, Calcutta, moving to Dum Dum at some point before it returned to Ballygunge on 23 March 1942 and disbanded in June.


No 2 (SAAF) Wing

This was formed at Garissa West on 1 February 1941 by redesignating No 1 Bomber Brigade, SAAF, comprising Nos 11 and 12 Squadrons SAAF.  Later in 1941 Nos 11 and 12 Squadrons were redesignated Nos 15 and 16 Squadrons SAAF respectively and they had been joined by No 41 Squadron SAAF.  On 3 August 1941it came under the control of No 203 Group and by December was under AHQ East Africa, now with Nos 34 and 35 Flights SAAF.  On 5 December it had been taken over by No 202 Group and on 1 July 1942 was withdrawn to South Africa.  The table below show its various locations.

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
Feb 1941 Kismayu  
by 17 Apr 1941 Dire Dawa  
4 Aug 1941 Lomata  
by Dec 1941 Nairobi  
by 26 Dec 1941   Dabat

It arrived at LG-237 (Kilo 40), presumably from South Africa, on 24 April 1944 as No 2 (Heavy Bomber) Wing SAAF in Middle East Command, comprising Nos 31 and 34 Squadrons SAAF (Liberators).  On 13 July 1944 it was transferred to No 205 Group and disbanded on 15 December 1945.   The table below show its various locations.

Date Main HQ
28 May 1944 In transit
2 Jun 1944 Rasin-el-Aboud (Aleppo area)
15 Jun 1944 Marcigliana
27 Jun 1944 In transit
2 Jul 1944 Alamaza
8 Jul 1944 In transit
30 Jul 1944 Foggia
31 Aug 1944 Celone
5 Sep 1945 Shallufa

3rd/No 3 Wing

This was formed at St Omer on 1 March 1915 as 3rd Wing RFC with Nos 4 and 16 Squadrons.  On 30 June 1916 it was redesignated 3rd (Corps) Wing and came under 3rd Brigade but on 1 April 1916 it was transferred to 4th Brigade.  It was disbanded on 5 January 1918 at No 1 Aircraft Depot with its units being dispersed to other Wings in Italy and France.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
 1 Mar 1915 St Omer  
20 Jul 1915 Beauquesne  
by 25 Sep 1915 Beauval Beauquesne
by Feb 1916 Bertangles to at least  Jul 1916  
by 12 Jan 1917 Corbie  
Mar 1917 Misery  
31 Mar 1917 Ferme de Bias (Bouvincourt)  
11 Jul 1917 Zuydcoote  
Dec 1917 Bray Dunes  
6 Dec 1917 Liettres  

 

Squadron Dates
No 1 Mar 1915 - May 1915
No 3 Apr 1915 - Jul 1916
No 4 Mar 1915 - Jul 1916
No 7 Apr 1915 - Jul 1915, Feb 1917 - May 1917
No 8 Apr 1915, Jul 1915 - Mar 1916
No 9 Dec 1915 - Jun 1917
No 11 Jul 1915 - Mar 1916
No 12 Feb 1916 - Mar 1916
No 13 Oct 1915 - Feb 1916
No 15 Mar 1916 - Jul 1916
No 16 Mar 1915
No 34 Jul 1916 - Jun 1917, Jul 1917 - Oct 1917
No 35 May 1917 - Dec 1917
No 52 Dec 1916 - Dec 1917
No 54 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917
No 6 RNAS Jun 1917

It reformed at 9 Merrion Square, Dublin on 1 August 1918 as 3rd (Training) Wing, initially with Nos 22 and 24 Training Depot Stations, which were later joined by Nos 23 and 25 TDS and Irish FIS.  On 22 August 1918 it came under the control of No 11 (Irish) Group and by May 1919 it was at Collinstown House, Collinstown, where it disbanded on 13 April 1919.

Officers Commanding

20 Nov 1914        Lt Col H R M Brooke-Popham

27 May 1915        Lt Col T I Webb-Bowen

 2 Jun 1915           Lt Col J F A Higgins

31 Oct 1915         Lt Col W S Brancker

 1 Feb 1916          Lt Col E R Ludlow-Hewitt

xx xxx 1917          Lt Col A S Barratt

No 3 (Indian) Wing

This was formed at Dera Ismail Khan on 1 April 1920 by redesignating 52nd (Corps) Wing, India Group but was itself redesignated No 1 (Indian) Wing in July 1920.

It reformed at Quetta on 10 October 1921, where it remained until 20 June 1935 when it moved to Karachi, folloWing the Quetta earthquake on 31 May.  On 3 July 1935 it temporarily ceased to function and by the time it was again operational had moved to Risalpur from where it moved to Chaklala on 14 October 1935, after which its fate is unknown.

However, it officially reformed at Chaklala on 16 January 1936 in No 1 (Indian) Group, from where it despatched an Advanced HQ to Mir Au from 2 - 24 December, then from 8 - 16 January 1937 and finally from 19 April 193 Jul 19  During the summer it relocated to Lower Topa in the Murree Hills from 15 April to 10 September 1936 and again from 15 April to 26 September 193 Jul 19  It was absorbed into No 1 (Indian) Group on 25 April 193 Aug 19  Further details of units and personnel (including OCs) assigned to this Wing are contained in the Members Area.

It reformed again, this time at Palam on 1 June 1947 to supervise the disbandment of RAF Barrackpore, No 302 MU Manauri, No 308 MU Bamhrauli, No 313 MU Kankinara and No 325 MU Jamalpur and finally disbanded  on 15 August 194 Jul 19


No 3 (SAAF) Wing

This was formed at Ma'aten Bagush on 11 November 1941 as No 3 (Light Bomber) Wing SAAF absorbing No 261 Wing RAF.  Initially controlling No 11 Squadron RAF and Nos 12 and 21 Squadrons SAAF but No 11 Squadron had left by October 1942, having been replaced by No 24 Squadron SAAF.  When it moved to Soliman North it was part of Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force but whether occurred prior to the move or when it moved is not clear.  On 10 December 1943 it was transferred to the Desert Air Force and in the same month lost No 24 Squadron SAAF but took over No 223 Squadron RAF from No 232 Wing on 11 March 194 Apr 19  In July 1944 it regained No 24 Squadron SAAF and then gained No 30 Squadron SAAF on 12 AuguSt   On 13 April 1945 it became part of the 57th Bomb Wing USAAF and at the time comprised Nos 12, 21, 24 and 30 Squadrons SAAF, finally disbanding on 24 October 1945.  The tables below show its various locations.

Date Main HQ
11 Nov 1941 Ma'aten Bagush
20 Dec 1941 Bu Amud
by 26 May 1942 Baheira
30 Jun 1942 Bilbeis (half) and LG-X (half)
by 1 Sep 1942 Amriya
by 1 Dec 1942 Abu Sueir
11 Jan 1943 Gzina
9 Feb 1943 Sertann
8 Mar 1943 El Assa
12 Mar 1943 Zuara
by 20 Mar 1943 Ben Gardane
16 May 1943 Soliman North
21 Jul 1943 Hal Far
15 Aug 1943 Cuttichi
19 Aug 1943 Manduriao
12 Oct 1943 Gerbini
19 Oct 1943 Tortorella
by 27 Dec 1943 Foggia Main
19 Apr 1944 Biferno
28 Jun 1944 Pescara
23 Oct 1944 Iesi
11 May 1945 Rivolto

4th/No 4 Wing

This was formed at Netheravon on 29 November 1914 as 4th Wing RFC, initially with Nos 1 and 7 Squadrons and on 15 December 1915 became part of 5th Brigade.  As the result of a redistribution of Wings on 1 May 1916 it assumed control of units at Netheravon, Bristol, Beaulieu, Oxford and Rendcomb.  On 15 May 1916 an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Netheravon, but on 23 August 1916 it became CFS and Netheravon Wing.

Officers Commanding

 9 Nov 1914         Lt Col J F A Higgins

 5 Jul 1916            Lt Col W R Freeman

It reformed at Netheravon on 10 January 1917 as 4th (Reserve) Wing to control locally based units, initially consisting of Nos 7, 8 and 24 (Reserve) Squadrons.  On 31 March 1918 it took over Nos 97 and 116 Squadrons as well as No 8 TDS and the folloWing day was placed under the control of No 7 Group, taking over No 12 TDS at the same time.  Further units were taken over on 15 April 1918 when Nos 115 and 118 Squadrons were transferred to the Wing.  It finally disbanded on 15 May 1919.

It reformed again, this time at Mount Batten, on 2 October 1935 as No 4 (Flying Boat) Wing to assume control of Nos 204 and 230 Squadrons during the Abyssinian crisis.  Embarking at Devonport for Alexandria in SS Manela it set sail on  3 October 1935, arriving in Alexandria on 14 October, where the ship was used as as floating mobile base.  On 24 August 1936 the ship and Wing returned to Devonport, where it disbanded.


No 4 (Indian) Wing

This was formed at Risalpur on 10 October 1921 with Nos 27 and 60 Squadrons but its fate is unknown.

It reformed at Agra on 15 July 1946 from No 4 (Indian) Group but disbanded on 1 October 194 Jun 19


5th/No 5 Wing

This was formed at Gosport on 29 November 1914 as 5th Wing RFC, comprising No 8 Squadron and the nucleus of No 13 Squadron. On 7 November 1915 it sailed for Middle East in SS Anchises, together with No 14 Squadron and 'X' Aircraft Park, arriving at Heliopolis later in the month, where it took over No 17 Squadron.    It was redesignated 5th (Corps) Wing on 5 October 1917 coming under the control of  Palestine Brigade which formed the same day and Disbanded on 1 April 1920, being incorporated into Palestine Group.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ Advanced HQ
Nov 1915 Heliopolis  
9 Feb 1916 Ismailia  
19 Dec 1916 Mustabig  
xx Mar 1917 Rafah Deir el Belah
by  Oct 1917 Deir el Belah  
xx xxx 1918 Ramleh  
by Apr 1919 Ismaillia  

 

Squadron Dates
No 8 Jan 1915 - Apr 1915
No 13 Jan 1915 - Oct 1915
No 14 Feb 1915 - xxx 18
No 17 Feb 1915 - Jul 1916
No 22 Sep 1915 - Nov 1915
No 23 Sep 1915 - Nov 1915
No 24 Sep 1915 - Nov 1915
No 67 Sep 1916 - Oct 1917
No 111 Aug 1917 - Oct 1917 and from  Feb 1919
No 113 Oct 1917 - Mar 1919
No 142 Jun 1918 - Mar 1919
No 145 from  Feb 1919
No 2 Reserve Oct 1915 - Nov 1915
No 3 Reserve Aug 1915 - Nov 1915
No 21 Reserve May 1916 - Jul 1916
No 22 Reserve May 1916 - Jul 1916

Officers Commanding

xx Nov 1915          Lt Col W G S Salmond

 1 Jul 1916             Lt Col P B Joubert de la Ferte

 5 Feb 1917           Lt Col A E Borton

 8 Oct 1917           Lt Col C S Burnett

It reformed at Biggin Hill on 1 April 1923 as No 5 (Home Defence) Wing to control all fighter squadrons north of the Thames but disbanded on 1 May 1924.

Officers Commanding

30 Apr 1923           Wg Cdr John H S Tyssen

It reformed again, this time at No 2 River Front West, Khartoum on 26 October 1935 during to the Abyssinian crisis to control No 3 Squadron (Bulldogs) and Nos 35, 47 and 207 Squadrons (Gordons) and also No 1 MCS and No 4 Aircraft Park, moving to El Gebeit on 8-9 April 1936.  It disbanded on 14 August 1936 and personnel embarked in HT Somersetshire at Port Sudan to return to the UK (except for No 47 Squadron which had only been attached).

It reformed on 30 December 1939, location unknown, from the Air Information Centre of Air Information Wing as No 5 (Signals) Wing.  Intendd for service in France with the BEF, its task was to co-ordinate the siting, technical maintenance, control and administration of all radar units in France and their associated field centres.  On 20 January 1940 it arrived at Allonville under HQ BAFF, but following the German invasion it moved on 20 May to Le Havre, to Bouay, near Nantes on  26 May 1940, then to Cherbourg for evacuation on 3 June via Weymouth and Southampton, the various elements arriving at Yatesbury between 4-7 Jun 1940.  It then moved as a single entity to Halton on 16 June, where it was ordered to disband on 27 June, the last personnel leaving on 6 July 1940.

It reformed for the final time, so far, on 1 April 1953 at Hamburen as No 5 (Signals) Wing in 2nd TAF.  It moved to Scharfoldendorf on 10 July 1955, then to Butzweilerhof on 12 August 1958, where it disbanded in September 1966.


6th/No 6 Wing

This was formed at Swingate Down, Dover on 30 August 1915 as 6th Wing RFC and following a redistribution of Wings on 1 May 1916 became responsible for units at Dover, Shoreham, Wye, Fort Grange (Gosport) and Fort Rowner (Gosport).  On 20 July 1916 it formed an Aircraft Repair Section at Farnborough but this moved to Dover on 15 August 1916 remaining until at least November 1918.  The HQ moved to Barming Place, Maidstone on 8 September 1916, with an Aircraft Repair Section at Folkestone and on 10 January 1917 it was placed under Eastern Group Command.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed in No 1 Group and on 3 July, was re-organised to control Dover, Wye and Manston; moving from Guston Road, Dover (when it moved here is not known) to Swingate Down, Dover on 24 July 1919, where it disbanded on 22 November 1919.

Officers Commanding

 1 Feb 1916            Lt Col C L N Newall

26 Sep 1917           Lt Col C F de S Murphy

However, another 6th Wing RFC had also existed between 31 January 1916 and July 1918 at Mombasa in East Africa to control No 26 Squadron .


7th/No 7 Wing

This was formed at Gosport on 8 November 1915 as 7th Wing RFC, comprising units at Fort Grange (Gosport), Fort Rowner (Gosport), Shoreham and Brooklands but following a redistribution of Wings on 1 May 1916 it moved to Norwich, taking control of units at Narborough. Norwich, Orfordness, Sedgeford, Thetford and Wyton.  On 20 November 1916 it formed an Aircraft Repair Section at Thetford but on 1 May 1917 this was transferred to 26th Wing and a new Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Norwich.  The HQ moved to Belgrave House, St Johns Terrace, King's Lynn on 8 January 1918, where it came under No 3 Group on 10 May and disbanded on 12 September 1918.

Officers Commanding

 1 Feb 1916            Lt Col H C T Dowding

18 Jul 1916             Lt Col W R Freeman

It reformed at Tadcaster on 18 October 1919 in No 16 Group as 7th Wing.  It was transferred to the direct control of Northern Area on 8 February 1920, moving to South Carlton on the same day, taking over the units of the disbanding No 10 Wing  and No 2 (Northern) Aircraft Repair Depot.  On 1 April 1920 it was placed under Inland Area but was reduced to cadre and disbanded at the RAF Depot, Uxbridge on 9 July 1920.

Details of personnel serving at HQ No 7 Wing: - [Apr 1920]


No 7 (SAAF) Wing

This was formed at LG-93 Amriya on 12 August 1942, initially controlling Nos.80, 127 and 274 Sqns RAF but in December these were replaced by Nos 1, 2 and 5 Squadrons SAAF.  By October 1942 it had  been placed under No 212 Group then to No 211 Group  by April 1943 and by 14 June 1944 had been transferred to Desert Air Force.  On 9 August 1945 it left Desert Air Force and was in transit for redeployment to the Far East, but the dropping of the Atomic bombs and VJ-Day made this made unnecessary so on 11 September 1945 it arrived in South Africa, where it presumably disbanded.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
12 Aug 1942 LG-93 Amriya
11 Jan 1943 Belandah
16 Jan 1943 Hamriet
31 Jan 1943 Darragh Main
31 Jan 1943 Zuara
23 Feb 1943 Neffatia
21 Mar 1943 Hazbub Main
12 Apr 1943 Sfax
17 Apr 1943 El Adem
18 May 1943 Sorman
11 Aug 1943 Haouria
15 Aug 1943 Pachino satellite
2 Sep 1993 Maddalena (detachment - Fano)
xx Sep 1943 Isola
19 Sep 1943 Cassano
22 Sep 1943 Scanzano
1 Oct 1943 Gioia Del Colle
14 Oct 1943 Palata
14 Dec 1943 Trigno
5 May 1944 Sinello
14 Jun 1944 Marcigliana
22 Jun 1944 Orvieto
16 Jul 1944 Foiano
1 Oct 1944 Rimini
7 Nov 1944 Bellaria
8 Dec 1944 Forli
3 Mar 1945 Ravenna
16 May 1945 Tissano No 2

 

Squadron Dates
No 80 12 Aug 1942 - 17 Dec 1942, Mar 1944 - 3 Apr 1944
No 127 12 Aug 1942 - 17 Dec 1942
No 274 12 Aug 1942 - 17 Dec 1942
No 335 By Oct 1942 - by Jan 1943
No 2 SAAF (from No 233 Wing) 17 Dec 1942 - xx xxx 1945
No 4 SAAF (from No 233 Wing) 17 Dec 1942 - xx xxx 1945
No 5 SAAF (from No 233 Wing) 17 Dec 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 1 SAAF (from No 244 Wing) xx Sep 1943 xx xxx 1945
No 879 RN (Attached) 26 Jun 1944 - 16 Jul 1944
No7 SAAF xx xxx xxxx - xx xxx 1945

 


8th/No 8 Wing

This was formed at Catterick on 15 November 1915 as 8th Wing RFC, being placed under 5th Brigade on 15 December.  On 7 February 1916 it moved to 26 Blossom St, York and following a redistribution of Wings on 1 May 1916 took control of units at Beverley, Doncaster, Lilbourne, Bramham Moor, Papplewick (including a Home Defence detachment) and Birmingham.  An Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Catterick on 25 September 1916 and on 10 January 1917 the Wing was placed under Northern Group Command.  The Aircraft Repair Section at Catterick became 19th Wing Aircraft Repair Section on 1 June 1917, with 8th Wing forming a new Aircraft Repair Section at Beverley.  By February 1918 it was in Northern Training Brigade but on 1 May 1918 was placed in No 16 Group and by July 1918 had moved to 134 The Mount, York until it disbanded on 30 June 1919.

It reformed at Marske on 18 October 1919 in No 16 Group as 8th Wing but on 8 February 1920 was placed directly under HQ Northern Area and then from 1 April it was transferred to Inland Area.  It disbanded at the RAF Depot, Uxbridge on 27 April 1920.

Details of personnel serving at HQ No 8 Wing: - [Apr 1920]


No 8 (SAAF) Wing

This was formed at Bari on 24 Jun 1944, taking over Nos.87 and 185 Sqns RAF on 16 September and these were joined by Nos 3 and 11 Squadrons SAAF on 25 September 1944.  On 25 September 1945 it was transferred from the Desert Air Force to RAF Middle East but disbanded on 24 October 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
24 Jun 1944 Bari
5 Aug 1944 Palese
21 Aug 1944 Foiano
8 Sep 1944 Borghetto
2 Oct 1944 Fano
17 Nov 1944 Florence LG
31 Dec 1944 Pontedera
30 Apr 1945 Villafranca
16 May 1945 Campoformido
25 Sep 1945 Fayid

 

Squadron Dates
No 87 Sqn 16 Sep 1944 - 24 Oct 1945
No 185 Sqn 16 Sep 1944 - 24 Oct 1945
No 3 SAAF 25 Sep 1944 - 24 Oct 1945
No 11 SAAF 25 Sep 1944 - 24 Oct 1945

 


9th/No 9 Wing

This was originally formed as HQ Wing RFC at St Andre-aux-Bois on 6 May 1916, being redesignated 9th HQ Wing RFC under the control of GHQ on 14 May 1916, initially comprising Nos 12 and 21 Squadrons.  Following the formation of the RAF it was transferred to 9th GHQ Brigade on 3 April 1918 and on 3 June moved to Fourneuil to co-operate with French, returning to British control later that month but then 14 July it was working with the French again being located at Rozoy (or Touquin), returning to British control by 5 AuguSt   It supposedly reformed on 20 May 1919 from 22nd Wing, but when it 'disbanded is unclear, however it finally disbanded on 30 July 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
19 Jun 1916 Fienvillers (in the village of Beauquesne)
May 1917 Boisdinghem
xx xxx xxxx Upen D'Aval
12 Mar 1918 Beaucourt - Ensanterre
24 Mar 1918 Villers-Bretonneux
24 Mar 1918 Beauvois
29 Mar 1918 Hesdin
30 Mar 1918 Wamin
3 Jun 1918 Fourneuil
21 Jun 1918 Wamin
14 Jul 1918 Rozoy (or Touquin)
by 5 Aug 1918 Grenas Château, Mondicourt
by 2 Sep 1918 Chateau Rouge, Mondicourt
by Nov 1918 Marquain
28 Nov 1918 17 Rue d'Esplanade, Maubeuge
20 May 1919 Merheim
27 May 1919 Nippes

 

Squadron Dates
No 12 from  May 1916
No 18 Sep 1916, Nov 1916 - Nov 1918, May 1919 - Jul 1919
No 19 Aug 1916 - Aug 1917
No 21 May 1916 - Jul 1916
No 22 Jul 1917, Sep 1917 - Jan 1918
No 23 Sep 1916
No 25 Oct 1917 - Jul 1919
No 27 Jun 1916 - xxx 1918, Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 32 Jul 1916 - Aug 1916, Mar 1918-Nov 1918
No 35 Feb 1917 - May 1917
No 45 Oct 1916 - Feb 1916
No 49 Mar 1918 - May 1919
No 52 Dec 1917 - Jan 1918
No 55 from  Mar 1917
No 56 Apr 1917-Nov 1917
No 57 Dec 1916 - Nov 1917
No 58 Jan 1918 - Feb 1918
No 60 May 1916  - Aug 1916
No 62 Jan 1918 - Nov 1918
No 66 Mar 1917 - Nov 1917
No 70 Jun 1916 - Jan 1917, Mar 1917 - Sep 1917
No 73 Jan 1918 - Sep 1918
No 79 Feb 1918 - May 1918
No 80 Jan 1918 - Apr 1918
No 84 Sep 1917 - Nov 1917
No 92 from  Jun 1919
No 99 Feb 1919 - May 1919
No 100 Sep 1917 - 17
No 101 Jul 1917 - Feb 1918
No 102 Oct 1917 - Mar 1918
No 107 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 205 Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 207 Jan 1919 - Jul 1919;
No 214 from  Apr 1919

Officers Commanding

22 Jun 1916            Lt Col H C T Dowding

24 Dec 1916           Lt Col C L N Newall

xx Oct 1917            Lt Col W R Freeman

xx xxx 1918            Lt Col A V Holt

It reformed at East Fortune on 18 October 1919 in No 16 Group but disbanded on 20 December 1919.


10th/No 10 Wing

This was formed as 10th (Army) Wing RFC on 30 January 1916  in the newly-formed 1st Brigade and disbanded on 5 March 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
by 20 Mar 1916 Norrent-Fontes
17 Apr 1917 Château du Reveillon, (Chocques)
30 Aug 1917 Bruay
1 Jun 1918 Sautrecourt
6 Oct 1918 Givenchy-le-Noble
24 Oct 1918 Ferme du Muid
12 Dec 1918 Villers Campeaux
xx Dec 1918 66 Boulevard de Leopold, Tournai
28 Dec 1918 4 Place de Lille, Tournai

 

Squadron Dates
No 18 Feb 1916 - Apr 1916,  Jul 1916 - Aug 1916, Oct 1917 - Oct 1918
No 19 Mar 1918-Nov 1918, from  Jan 1919
No 22 Jan 1918-Nov 1918
No 23 May 1917 - Jun 1917
No 25 Jul 1916 - Oct 1917
No 27 from  Mar 1916
No 32 Jun 1916 - Jul 1916
No 40 Aug 1916 - Feb 1919
No 43 Jan 1917 - Mar 1918
No 64 Apr 1918-Nov 1918 and from  Jan 1919
No 70 Jan 1917 - Mar 1917
No 71 Dec 1917 -  Jan 1918

Officers Commanding

 1 Feb 1916           Lt Col P L W Herbert

19 Mar 1916         Lt Col A G Board

xx Jan 1917           Lt Col W R Freeman

xx Oct 1917          Lt Col R B Martyn

21 Aug 1917         Lt Col C T MacLean

It reformed at Shotwick on 18 October 1919 as No 10 (Independent) Wing in No 16 Group and disbanded on 7 February 1920 with its units being transferred to No 7 Wing.


11th/No 11 Wing

This was formed at Oxelaere on 10 Feb 1916 as 11th (Army) Wing RFC in 2nd Brigade and disbanded 9 September 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
by 20 Mar 1916 Nieppe
by  Dec 1916 Cassel
by 12 Jan 1917 St Sylvestre-Cappel
7 Sep 1917 Mont Rouge
10 Apr 1918 Hondeghem
W/E 11 Apr 1918 Le Nieppe to at least  Aug 1918
by 11 Nov 1918 Sterhoek
26 Nov 1918 Nivelles
by 8 Dec 1918 Chateau Golzinne
18 Dec 1918 Petit Han
19 Dec 1918 Elsenborn
20 Dec 1918 Duren
21 Dec 1918 Bocklemund
24 Dec 1918 1 Pfarrius Strasse, Lindesthal, near Cologne
15 Aug 1919 NIPPES

 

Squadron Dates
No 1 Jan 1917 - Aug 1918
No 6 Nov 1918 - Dec 1918
No 11 Jul 1919 - Sep 1919
No 12 from  Dec 1918
No 15 Feb 1916 - Mar 1916
No 18 Jan 1919 - May 1919, Jul 1919 - Sep 1919
No 19 Aug 1917 - Mar 1918
No 20 Feb 1916 - Aug 1918
No 23 Nov 1918
No 24 Nov 1917 - Feb 1918
No 25 Jul 1919 - Sep 1919
No 29 Apr 1916 - Oct 1916, Nov 1917 - Aug 1919
No 32 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918
No 41 Oct 1916 - Jun 1917, Aug 1918 - Nov 1918
No 43 Nov 1918 - May 1919
No 45 Dec 1916 - Nov 1917
No 46 Apr 1917 - Jun 1917, Aug 1917 - Sep 1917
No 48 Nov 1918 - Jun 1919
No 53 Jun 1918 - Sep 1918
No 54 Apr 1918 - Jun 1918
No 57 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918
No 58 Feb 1918 - Mar 1918
No 60 Sep 1917 - Mar 1918
No 65 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918
No 70 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918, Jul 1918 - Nov 1918
No 75 Apr 1918 - Nov 1918
No 84 May 1919 - Jun 1919
No 92 May 1919 - Jun 1919
No 149 Jun 1918 - Mar 1919
No 201 Jul 1918 - Aug 1918
No 206 Apr 1918 - May 1919
No 207 Mar 1919
No 208 from  May 1919
No 209 Jul 1919 - Sep 1919
No 1 RNAS Jun 1917 - Nov 1917, Mar 1918
No 10 RNAS May 1917 - Jun 1917
4th AFC  Apr 1918 - Jul 1918, xx xxx - Feb 1919

Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1916           Lt Col F W Richey

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col G B Stopford

xx xxx 1917           Lt Col A J L Scott

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col H A Van Ryneveld

It reformed at Baldonnel in April 1920 No 11 (Irish) Wing from No 11 (Irish) Group to control Nos 2 and 100 Squadrons with 'A' Flight, No 4 Squadron arriving in August 1920.  An Advance Party moved to Spittlegate on 27 January 1922 followed by the rest off the Wing arriving on 17 February, coming under the control of Inland Area.  It took control of  Nos 39 and 100 Squadrons at Spittlegate and No 5 FTS at Sealand and No 2 Squadron from the the disbanded No 3 Group, until it disbanded on 15 January 1923 with the remaining personnel moving to the new No 3 Group on 1 April 1923.

Officers Commanding

26 Apr 1920                Gp Capt I M Bonham-Carter


12th/No 12 Wing

This was formed at Avesnes-le-Comte on 30 January 1916 as 12th (Army) Wing RFC in 3rd Brigade but was then redesignated 12th (Corps) Wing on 1 April 1916 and disbanded on 20 February 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
May 1917 Agnez-les-Duisans
by 1 Jun 1917 Wagonlieu
by 19 Jun 1917 Arqueves
5 Jul 1917 Biefvillers-les-Bapaume
22 Mar 1918 Albert
24 Mar 1918 Arqueves
26 Mar 1918 Avesnes-le-Comte
W/E 11 Apr 1918 Fienvillers
24 Sep 1918 Bihucourt
16 Oct 1918 Ligny-Encambresis
30 Nov 1918 Fienvillers
7 Dec 1918 Beauval

 

Squadron Dates
No 3 Jun 1917 - Oct 1917
No 6 Nov 1917, Jul 1918 - Aug 1918
No 8 Mar 1916 - Dec 1917,  Mar 1918 - Apr 1918, Aug 1918
No 12 Mar 1916 - Nov 1918
No 13 Mar 1916 - Apr 1918, Aug 1918 - Jan 1919
No 15 Jun 1917 - Feb 1919
No 35 Jul 1917, Nov 1917 - Dec 1917, Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 52 Dec 1917 - Jan 1918, Jun 1918 - Aug 1918
No 59 Feb 1917 - Jan 1919
No 82 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
'N' Flight Nov 1918

Officers Commanding

10 Dec 1915         Lt Col G S Shephard

18 Dec 1916         Lt Col W G S Mitchell

xx xxx 1918           Lt Col A B Burdett

It reformed on 2 June 1922 as 12th Wing to control No 2 Squadron and two days later moved to Aldergrove, where it came under RAF Ireland.  On 1 August 1922 it moved to Island Bridge Barracks, Dublin and then on 19 September to 19-20 Templepatrick, Castle Upton. Co Antrim but on 29 September it returned to Aldergrove.  It returned to 19-20 Templepatrick. Castle Upton in October 1922 then back to Aldergrove on 30 November 1922, where it disbanded on 7 February 1923.


13th/No 13 Wing

This was formed at Bermicourt on 10 March 1916 as 13th Wing RFC in 3rd Brigade and disbanded on 1 March 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
by 15 Apr 1916 Ambrines
by  Jun 1916 Foufflin-Ricametz
15 Jan 1917 Izel-les-Hameau
xx Jun 1917 Toutencourt
15 Mar 1918 Beauval
25 Mar 1918 Saulty
26 Mar 1918 Beauval
28 Mar 1918 Vert Galant
W/E 23 Apr 1918 Bachimont
19 Sep 1918 Toutencourt
16 Oct 1918 Bienvillers
23 Nov 1918 Caudry

 No 100  : No 101  : No 102  : No 107  :

Squadron Dates
No 3 Oct 1917 - Nov 1918
No 11 Mar 1916 - Nov 1918
No 18 May 1917 - Oct 1917
No 22 Jul 1917 - xxx 1917, Mar 1918 - Apr 1918
No 23 Mar 1916 - Sep 1916
No 24 Jul 1917 - Sep 1917, Nov 1917 - Dec 1917
No 29 Oct 1916 - Jul 1917
No 32 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917
No 41 Jul 1917 - Mar 1918
No 43 Mar 1918 - Apr 1918
No 46 Sep 1917 - May 1918
No 48 Mar 1917 - Jul 1917
No 49 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918
No 56 Nov 1917 - Feb 1919
No 57 Mar 1918 - Nov 1918
No 60 Aug 1916 - Sep 1917, Mar 1918 - Feb 1919
No 64 Oct 1917 - Apr 1918
No 68 Sep 1917 - Jan 1918
No 70 Mar 1918 - Jul 1918
No 84 Nov 1917 - Dec 1917
No 87 May 1918 - Feb 1919
No 100 Apr 1917 - May 1917
No 101 Aug 1917
No 102 Oct 1917, Mar 1918 - Nov 1918
No 107 Jun 1918
No 201 Apr 1918 - Jul 1918
No 210 Oct 1918 - Feb 1919
No 1 RNAS Apr 1917 - Jun 1917, Mar 1918
No 3 RNAS Jun 1917
No 6 RNAS Mar 1917 - Apr 1917
No 9 RNAS Jul 1917
17th US Aero Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
148th US Aero Sep 1918 - Oct 1918

Officers Commanding

12 Apr 1916          Lt Col C F de S Murphy

28 Aug 1916          Lt Col P H L Playfair

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col  G F Pretyman

xx Jun 1917           Maj C T MacLean (Temp)

xx Nov 1917         Lt Col P H L Playfair

xx xxx 1918           Lt Col A J L Scott


14th/No 14 Wing

This was formed at Bertangles on 1 April 1916 as 14th Army Wing RFC in 4th Brigade, remaining there until to at least June 1916.  However, on 24 December 1917 it departed for Italy to join 7th Brigade, arriving on 31 December 1917 and becoming established on 5 January 1918.  In February 1919 it was reduced to cadre and proceeded to the UK, arriving at Blandford on 9 March 1919, where it disbanded on 1 April 1919.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
by 12 Jan 1917 Chipilly
27 Apr 1917 Guizancourt
May 1917 Flez
Jun 1917 Misery
by 11 Jul 1917 Frontier aerodrome (Bray Dunes)
11 Sep 1917 Teteghem
6 Dec 1917 Liettres
20 Dec 1917 Candas (No 2 ASD)
24 Dec 1917 In transit
by Feb 18 Villalta
26 Mar 1918 Sarcedo
xx Oct 1918 Treviso
xx Oct 1918 Dosson
18 Nov 1918 Villaverla

 

Squadron Dates
No 18 Sep 1916 - Nov 1916
No 21 Aug 1916 - Feb 1917
No 22 Apr 1916 - Jul 1917
No 24 Apr 1916 - Jul 1917, Sep 1917 - Nov 1917
No 28 Mar 1918 - Feb 1919
No 34 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917, Feb 1918 - Mar 1919
No 35 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917
No 45 Jan 1918 - Sep 1918
No 48 Jul 1917 - Dec 1917
No 54 Dec 1916 - Dec 1917
No 66 Jan 1918 - Mar 1919
No 139 Jul 1918 - Mar 1919
No 1 RNAS Jan 1917 - Apr 1917
No 6 RNAS Jul 1917 - Aug 1917
No 9 RNAS Jun 1917 - Sep 1917

Officers Commanding

 2 Apr 1916            Lt Col C G Hoare

xx xxx xxxx             Maj L Learmount

xx xxx 1916            Lt Col R Loraine

21 Sep 1916           Lt Col R P Mills

xx xxx 1917            Lt Col P B Joubert de la Ferte

 7 Dec 1917:           Lt Col F V Holt

It reformed in Brussels on 1 April 1946 in Technical Training Command following the disbandment of RAF Unit Brussels, taking over responsibility for Belgian RAFVR units, but its fate unknown.


15th/No 15 Wing

This was formed on 21 Jun 1916 as the Reserve Army Wing but where is unknown.  It was a flying Wing for the Reserve Army comprising 2 squadrons and 2 Kite Balloon Sections, becoming 15th (Corps) Wing RFC on 24 June 1916, initially with Nos 4 and 15 Squadrons and disbanded on 20 March 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
by 12 Jan 1917 Arqueves
Jun 1917 Watvin
8 Jul 1917 near Château de L'Amitie (La Lovie)
15 Nov 1917 St Andre-aux-Bois
17 Dec 1917 Proyart
31 Dec 1917 Villers-Carbonnel
22 Mar 1918 Daours
27 Mar 1918 Drucat
7 Apr 1918 Bertangles Town
by 8 Jun 1918 Vaux-en-Amienois
15, Aug 1918 Nicolas
27 Aug 1918 Querrieu
by 18 Sep 1918 Cartigny
by 5 Nov 1918 Elincourt
29 Nov 1918 Germinnes Chateau

 

Squadron Dates
No 3 Mar 1917 - Jun 1917
No 4 Jul 1916 - Sep 1917
No 5 Oct 1916 - Mar 1917, xxx xxxx - Aug 1918
No 6 May 1918 - Dec 1918,  Dec 1918 - Mar 1919
No 7 Jul 1916 - Feb 1917, Jun 1917 - Nov 1917
No 8 Dec 1917 - Sep 1918
No 9 Jun 1917 - Nov 1917, Jun 1918 - Dec 1918
No 12 Nov 1918 - Dec 1918
No 15 Jul 1916 - Jun 1917
No 21 Jun 1917 - Sep 1917
No 23 Sep 1916
No 32 Aug 1916
No 35 Oct 1917, Dec 1917 - Mar 1919
No 52 Jan 1918 - May 1918
No 53 Feb 1918 - Mar 1918, xxx xxxx - Nov 1918
No 57 Mar 1919
No 59 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917, Nov 1918 - Mar 1919
No 73 Sep 1918 - Nov 1918
No 82 Jan 1918 - Aug 1918
No 101 Apr 1918, Nov 1918 -  Mar 1919
No 205 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
3rd AFC from  Apr 1918
'O' FIt Nov 1918 - Mar 1919

Officers Commanding

 6 May 1916           Lt Col J G Hearson

xx xxx xxxx             Lt Col I A E Edwards

xx May 1918           Lt Col J A Chamier

xx Mar 1919            Lt Col C F A Portal

It reformed at Kingsnorth on 15 August 1943 as No 15 (Fighter) Wing in No 83 Group, comprising Nos 122 and 125 Airfields.  It became functional on 19 August and on 5 October moved to Newchurch, moving to Detling on 12 October and then to Ford on 15 April 1944 FORD.  On 20 April 1944 it took over No 129 Airfield and was redesignated No 15 Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

xx Aug 1943            Gp Capt J Rankin


16th/No 16 Wing

This was formed at Adastral House, Victoria Embankment, London SW on 25 June 1916 as 16th (Home Defence) Wing RFC  to control all Home Defence squadrons and was redesignated Home Defence Wing on 29 Jul 1916.

Officers Commanding

25 Jun 1916            Lt Col F V Holt

It reformed in the UK as 16th (Corps) Wing and arrived at 110 Rue Reine Olga, Salonika on 20 September 1916, being placed under the control of Middle East Brigade.  Initially it was composed of Nos 17 and 47 Squadrons as well as No 17 Kite Balloon Squadron and the Salonika Aircraft Park.  In August 1918 it was placed under the new No 30 Group, moving on 26 September to Janes (Yanes) and then on 17 April 1919 to Salonika, where it absorbed No 30 Group.  On 2 July 1919 it began its move to Turkey, arriving at San Stefano, Constantinople on 5 July, where the Aircraft Repair Section disbanded on 17 July followed by the Wing HQ on 14 November 1919.

Officers Commanding

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col G E Todd

It reformed again, this time at New Romney on 5 July 1943 as No 16 (Mobile Fighter) (RCAF) Wing in No 83 Group with Nos 121 and 124 Airfields.  On 18 August it moved to Lydd, then to Westhampnett on 9 October and on 2 February 1944 it ceased to be a RCAF Wing.  Moving again on 1 April 1944 to Hurn, it disbanded on 20 Apr 1944 with No 22 Wing taking over its commitments.

Officers Commanding

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr D Gillam

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr T Morice

xx Aug 1943                  Gp Capt H de C C Woodhouse

It reformed at Black Lion Fields, Gillingham, Kent on 8 March 1946 by redesignating No 16 Group but disbanded 3 June 1946.


17th/No 17 Wing

This was formed at Gosport on 9 August 1916 as 17th Wing RFC to control units at Gosport and Beaulieu.  On 19 August an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Gosport and on 10 January 1917 the Wing was placed under the control of Southern Group Command.  It moved to Beaulieu on 2 August 1917, together with the Aircraft Repair Section and on the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under No 8 Group but was transferred to No 7 Group on 13 May 1918, disbanding on 12 Aug 1918.

It reformed from Malta Command, probably in Valetta, on 28 September 1918 to control the local units, which included Nos 267 and 268 Squadrons and No 562 Flight, until it disbanded on 14 May 1919

It reformed again, this time at Redhill on 4 July 1943 as No 17 (Fighter) Wing in No 83 Group with Nos 126 and 127 Airfields.  On 6 August it moved to Lashenden, to Headcorn on 20 August and then to Kenley on 14 October.  It took over No 144 Airfield on 20 April 1944 but was redesignated No 17 Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

xx Jul 1943                    Gp Capt W R MacBrien


18th/No 18 Wing

This was formed at Carters Hotel, Albemarle St, London on 25 March 1916 as 18th (Training) Wing RFC to control all stations in London stations.  Following a redistribution of Wings on 1 May 1916 it became responsible for Joyce Green, Hounslow, Northolt, Brooklands and London Colney.  It then moved around London to a number of locations, see table below.  On 1 December 1916 an Aircraft Repair Section formed at Northolt and on 10 January 1917 the Wing was placed under Eastern Group Command with the Aircraft Repair Section moving to Hounslow on 30 January.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under No 1 Group until 7 August 1919 when it relocated to Ford Junction, coming under South Eastern Area, until it disbanded on 1 October 1919.

Date Main HQ
13 Jun 1916 Adastral House, Victoria Embankment, London SW
3 Mar 1917 Masons Yard, 19 Duke Street, St James, London SW1
18 Jul 1917 23 Ryde Street, St James, London SW
Oct 1918 19/20 Duke Street St James, London SW1
29 Mar 1919 128 Queen's Gate, South Kensington, London SW7
7 Aug 1919 Ford Junction

It reformed at Northolt on 14 October 1943 as No 18 (Polish) (Fighter) Wing to control Nos 131 and 133 Airfields.  On 1 April 1944 it moved to Deanland, where it took over No 135 Airfield: on 10 April, then moved to Chailey on 26 April, where it was redesignated No 18 (Fighter) Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

15 Nov 1943                   Gp Capt T Rolski

xx Feb 1944                    Gp Capt A Gabszewicz


19th/No 19 Wing

It was formed at 10 Osborne Villas, Jesmond, Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 1 May 1916 out of 8th Wing as 19th (Training) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade to control units at Catterick, Cramlington, Montrose, Stirling and Turnhouse.  On 1 June 1916 an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Catterick with another being formed on 15 November 1916 at Turnhouse.  It placed under Northern Group Command on 10 January 1917 and on 1 June the AReserve Squadrons at Turnhouse became 30th Wing AReserve Squadrons.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 Apr 1918 it was placed under No 17 Group but on 1 May 1918 was transferred to No 16 Group.  It disbanded on 25 March 1919.

It reformed at North Weald on 14 October 1943 as No 19 (Fighter) Wing in No 84 Group to control Nos 132 and 134 Airfields, with No 145 Airfield being added on 20 April 1944 but was redesignated No 19 (Fighter) Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

xx Nov 1943                    Gp Capt A G Malan


20th/No 20 Wing

This was formed at Aboukir on 25 July 1916 as 20th (Reserve) Wing RFC in Middle East Brigade with Nos 21 to 23 Reserve Squadrons and a half an Aircraft Repair Section at both Aboukir and Amria.  On 31 May 1917 it was redesignated 20th (Training) Wing and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

Officers Commanding

15 Sep 1916          Lt Col A G Board

 7 Jun 1918            Lt Col H le M Brock

It reformed as No 20(62) Wing Servicing Unit at Cosford but disbanded on 24 June 1940. [See No 62 Wing]

It reformed again, this time at Hornchurch on 14 October 1943 as No 20 (Fighter) Wing in No 84 Group to control Nos 135 and 136 Airfields.  On 1 March 1944 it moved to Aldinge Farm, Tangmere, where it lost No 135 Wing to No 23 Wing but on 10 March gained No 123 Wing.  It was on the move again on 9 April 1944, to Thorney Island, where it took over No 146 Airfield on 20 April but was redesignated No 20 (Fighter) Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

xx Dec 1943                    Gp Capt C J StJ Beamish

xx Mar 1944                    Gp Capt D E Gillam


21st/No 21 Wing

It was formed at Filton on 9 August 1916 as 21st (Training) Wing RFC, moving to Cirencester Castle to 2 September.  On 4 September an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Rendcomb and was placed under Southern Group Command: on 10 January 1917.  It was redesignated 21st (Training) Wing on 31 May, being transferred to Southern Training Brigade on 5 September and then to Western Group Command on 1 November 1917.  On 7 September 1918 it moved to Oxford and disbanded on 18 February 1919, having controlled the stations Beaulieu, Bicester, Filton, Ford Junction, Lilbourne, Port Meadow, Rendcomb, Weston-on-the-Green and Witney at various times.

Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1917            Lt Col P B Joubert de la Ferte

It reformed as No 21(63) Wing Servicing Unit at Cosford but disbanded on 24 June 1940. [See No 63 Wing]

It reformed again, this time at Church Fenton on 20 November 1943 as No 21 Base Defence Wing in No 12 Group to control No 141 Airfield, being transferred to No 85 Group on 10 March 1944.  On 8 April 1944 it moved to Low Carr Sycamore Farm, Church Fenton, then to Sopley Park on 26 April, where it was redesignated No 21 (Base Defence) Sector on 12 May 1944. 

Officers Commanding

1 Jan 1944                    Gp Capt W G Moseby

It reformed at Lindholme on 1 April 1960 as No 21 (Air Defence Missile) Wing in No 11 Group with a Rear HQ at Church Fenton.  It was tasked with administering the following Bloodhound Surface-to-Air missile squadrons, which were protecting Thor intermediate-range ballistic missile bases - No 112 (Church Fenton, moving to Breighton on 7 November 1960), No 94 (Misson) and No 247 (Carnaby).  On 1 June 1961 it became No 21 (Surface to Air Missile) Wing in No 11 Group and on 1 February 1963 became No 21 (SAM) Servicing Wing at Church Fenton, disbanding on 31 August 1963.


22nd/No 22 Wing

It was formed at Vert Galant on 14 September 1916 as 22nd Army Wing RFC in 5th Brigade initially with Nos 23 and 32 Squadrons and was redesignated 9th Wing on 20 May 1919.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
1 Mar 1917 Bertangles
by 31 Mar 1917 Tutencourt
10 Jun 1917 Houtkerque
Jul 1917 Chateau de L'Amitie (La Lovie)
15 Nov 1917 St Andre-aux-Bois
17 Dec 1917 Proyart
31 Dec 1917 Villers-Carbonnel
22 Jan 1918 Flez
22 Mar 1918 Roye
23-24 Mar 1918 Bertangles
28 Mar 1918 Tutencourt
3 Apr 1918 Bertangles
29 Aug 1918 Vaux-Enamienois
by Nov 1918 Honnechy
11 Nov 1918 Reumont
3 Dec 1918 Ossogne
24 May 1919 Chateau Otrogue

 

Squadron Dates
No 18 Feb 1917 - Jun 1917
No 19 Aug 1917 - Sep 1917
No 20 Aug 1918 - May 1919
No 23 Sep 1916-Nov 1917, Feb 1918 - Mar 1919:
No 24 Dec 1917 - Nov 1918
No 28 Oct 1917
No 29 Jul 1917 - Nov 1917, Jun 1918
No 32 Sep 1916 - Nov 1917
No 41 Jun 1917 - Jul 1917, Jun 1918 - Aug 1918
No 46 Aug 1918 - Nov 1918
No 48 Dec 1917 - Aug 1918
No 49 May 1918 - Jun 1918
No 54 Dec 1917 - Jun 1918
No 57 Jun 1917 - Nov 1917, May 1919 - Jun 1919
No 65 Mar 1918 - Aug 1918
No 70 Sep 1917 - Nov 1917
No 80 Aug 1918 - May 1919
No 84 Dec 1918 - May 1919
No 85 Sep 1918 - Nov 1918
No 92 Sep 1918 - Nov 1918, May 1919
No 101 Mar 1918 - Nov 1918
No 201 Aug 1918
No 205 Nov 1918
No 208 Sep 1918 - May 1919
No 209 Apr 1918 - Aug 1918
No 211 Nov 1918 - Mar 1919
No 3 RNAS Feb 1917 - Apr 1917
No 5 RNAS Feb 1917, Mar 1918
No 8 RNAS Oct 1916 - Jan 1917
No 10 RNAS Jun 1917 - Oct 1917
2nd AFC Apr 1918
17th US Aero May 1918

Officers Commanding

17 Feb 1917            Lt Col F V Holt

xx xxx xxxx              Lt Col W S Douglas

xx xxx 1918             Lt Col T SA E Cairns

It reformed at Aldergrove on 18 July 1940 from No 64 Fighter Wing Servicing Unit as No 22 Wing Servicing Unit, moving to Gillhall, near Dromore on 6 September 1941 and disbanded on 1 December 1941.

It reformed again, this time at Ayr on 9 January 1944 as No 22 (RCAF) (Fighter) Wing in No 83 Group to control No 143 Airfield.  On 14 February No 144 Airfield was formed within the Wing at Digby and the Wing HQ moved to Digby on 21 February, before making further moves to Hurn on 17 March, Westhampnett on 26 March, back to Hurn on 16 April, where it lost No 144 Airfield and took over Nos 121 and 124 Airfields but was redesignated No 22 Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

9 Jul 1944                    Gp Capt P Y Davoud


23rd/No 23 Wing

This was formed at South Carlton on 13 November 1916 as 23rd (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Scampton, South Carlton, Waddington and Doncaster:  On 10 January 1917 it was placed under Northern Group Command and on 4 February an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at South Carlton, followed by two half AReserve Squadronss at Thetford and Waddington on 3 March.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under 12th Group, which was transferred from Midland Area to North-Eastern Area on 1 July and by March 1919 was under 6th Group, finally disbanding on 31 May 1919.

It reformed in May 1940 as No 23 Wing Servicing Unit and by 20 Jun was at Hooton Park but moved to Henlow the following day, where it disbanded on 24 June 1940.

The following day it reformed at Henlow as No 23 Wing Servicing Unit, moving to Belfast Castle on 13 September and then to Kirkistown on 15 July 1941, where it disbanded on 1 December 1941.

It reformed at Tangmere on 20 January 1944 as No 23 (Fighter) Wing in No 84 Group to control Nos 145 and 146 Airfields and from 1 March Nos 135 Airfield ex No 20 Wing, but disbanded on 20 April 1944.

Officers Commanding

 1 Jan 1944                    Gp Capt F E Rosier


24th/No 24 Wing

It formed at Wyton on 25 September 1916 as 24th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Wyton. Harlaxton and Spittlegate, being placed under Northern Group Command on 10 January 1917.  On 4 February, an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Spittlegate, to where the Wing HQ moved on 24 March, remaining until at least April 1918.  However, by October 1918 it had moved to Mille House. Grantham and by March 1919 had been transferred to 12th Group, disbanding on 8 April 1919.

It reformed at Acklington on 16 February 1944 as No 24 (Base) Defence Wing in No 85 Group to control Nos 147 and 148 Airfields.  On 15 March it moved to Blakelaw, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, then on 27 April to Stapleford Tawney and finally Wartling, near Hastings on 3 May, where it was redesignated No 24 (Base Defence) Sector on 12 May 1944.

It reformed again on 1 Apr 1959 at Watton as No 24 (Air Defence Missile) Wing in No 12 Group to administer Bloodhound SAM squadrons - No 263 Squadron (Watton), No 242 Squadron (Marham) and No 266 Squadron (Rattlesden).  On 1 June 1961 it was redesignated No 24 (Surface to Air Missile) Wing, still in No 12 Group but now with only Nos 263 and 266 Squadrons and on 1 February 1963 it became No 24 (SAM) Servicing Wing but disbanded on 31 August 1963.


25th/No 25 Wing

It was formed at Castle Bromwich on 18 September 1916 as 25th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Castle Bromwich, Lilbourne and Ternhill.  An Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Castle Bromwich on 16 October 1916 with the Wing being placed under Southern Group Command on 10 January 1917 and then under Western Group Command on 26 September.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under 13th Group and disbanded on 1 July 1918.

It reformed at Castle Camps on 1 March 1944 as No 25 (Base) Defence Wing in No 11 Group to control Nos 149 and 150 Airfields.  It moved to Hornchurch on 9 April, Martlesham Heath on 2 May and was redesignated No 25 (Base Defence) Sector on 12 May 1944.

Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1944                    Wg Cdr/Gp Capt V R Moon


26th/No 26 Wing

This was formed at Wyton on 1 May 1917 as 26th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Wyton, Thetford and Harling Road with an Aircraft Repair Section at Thetford.  It initially controlled Nos 12 and 25 Reserve Squadrons at Thetford and No 31 Reserve Squadron and 65 Squadron at Wyton.  By February 1918 it was at Ely St Mary's with Duxford and Fowlmere being taken over on 1 March but on 1 May Thetford was  transferred to 39th Wing.  In May 1918 it moved to Cambridge and on 10 May was placed under 3rd Group, finally disbanding into 3rd Group on 4 Apr 1919.


27th/No 27 Wing

This was formed at Waddington on 5 May 1917 out of 23rd Wing as 27th (Training) Wing RFC initially controlling Nos 47 and 48 Reserve Squadrons, 82 Squadron and another Squadron at Waddington.  It later took over Hucknall and on 15 May an Aircraft Repair Section was formed at Waddington with it being placed under 12th Group on 1 April 1918, finally being disbanded on 1 April 1919.

It was reformed by 1946 as No 27 Maritime Strike Wing in Malaya but it was probably never embodied.


28th/No 28 Wing

This was formed at Yatesbury on 15 May 1917 out of 21st Wing as 28th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Yatesbury, with an Aircraft Repair Section and initially Nos 55, 59, 62 and 66 Reserve Squadrons, all at Yatesbury.  On 1 April 1918 it was placed under 7th Group and was redesignated No 1 (Yatesbury) Wing on 15 May 1919.


29th/No 29 Wing

This was formed at Ternhill on 1 June 1917 out of 25th Wing as 29th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Ternhill and Shawbury, with an Aircraft Repair Section at each stations  On 5 August it moved to Shawbury, being placed under Western Group Command on 26 September and with the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 was transferred to 13th Group, disbanding on 9 April 1919.


30th/No 30 Wing

This was formed at Edinburgh on 1 June 1917 out of 19th Wing as 29th (Training) Wing RFC initially to control Nos 18 and 39 Reserve Squadrons at Montrose, the Aircraft Repair Section and 26 Reserve Squadron at Turnhouse and 52 Reserve Squadron at Raploch.  On 13 January 1918 it moved to 15 Panmore Place, Montrose, being placed under 21st Group on 1 April and disbanded on 19 September 1918.

It reformed at Reykjavik on 22 March 1941 as No 30 (Coastal) Wing under AHQ Iceland but was redesignated RAF Iceland on 2 July 1941.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 98 Apr 1941 - Jul 1941
No 204 Apr 1941 - Aug 1941
No 240 detachment from  May 1941
No 269 Apr 1941 - Dec 1943
No 330 Sep 1941 - Jan 1943

31st/No 31 Wing

This was formed in Baghdad on 15 June 1917 by redesignating HQ RFC Mesopotamia as No 31 (HQ) Wing RFC, later 31st (Corps) Wing.  In August 1918 it was taken over by the new No 31 Group and was redesignated Mesopotamia Wing  in January 1920.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 6 Sep 1919 - Aug 1920
No 30 Jun 1917 - Aug 1920
No 63 May 1918 - May 1919
No 72 Mar 1918 - May 1919
No 84 Mar 1920 - Aug 1920

Officers Commanding

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col J E Tennent

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col R A Bradley

It reformed at Sydenham, Belfast on 15 April 1941 by redesignating No 75 Wing with Nos 88 and 226 Squadrons, moving to Long Kesh on 29 June 1941 but was disbanded on 15 December 1941 by being redesignated RAF Long Kesh.


32nd/No 32 Wing

This was formed at Maison Dormoy, Ismailia on 5 November 1917 as 32nd (Training) Wing RFC to control Nos 193 to 197 Training Squadrons.  It moved to Maison Perrier, Ismailia on 6 July 1918, then to Cinema Ideal, Ismailia on 15 February 1919.  It operated half Aircraft Repair Sections at both Ismailia and Shallufa and on 30 April 1919 it was reduced to cadre under HQ 69th Training Wing at El Rimal, disbanding on 22 July 1919.

Officers Commanding

30 Dec 1917          Lt Col W H Primrose

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col S Grant Dalton

xx xxx xxxx            Maj R P Willock (Temp)

It reformed in two parts, the first at 52 North Bridge, Edinburgh and the other at BHQ Scottish Command, Edinburgh on 19 August 1941 as No 32 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army Scottish Command in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in Scotland based at Ayr, Dalcross, Dunino, Findo Gask, Kidsdale, Kirknewton, Macmerry, Methven and Turnhouse.  With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 13 Group, Fighter Command as No 32 (Reconnaissance) Wing on 1 June 1943 and disbanded on 1 July 1943.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 63 Nov 1942 - Jul 1943
No 225 Aug 1942 - Dec 1942
No 241 Apr 1942 - Dec 1942, Jun 1943
No 309 Aug 1941 - Jun 1943
No 614 Aug 1941 - Aug 1942
No 651 Dec 1942
No 652 Jan 1943 - Feb 1943, Apr 1943 - Jul 1943

33rd/No 33 Wing

It was formed at 2A Winchester Street. Salisbury on 30 August 1917 as 33rd (Training) Wing RFC  in Southern Training Brigade to control units at Lake Down, Boscombe Down and Stonehenge.  By 5 January 1919 it was at Druid's Lodge, Lake Down and disbanded on 15 May 1919.

It reformed at Main Building, Northern Command HQ, Fulford Road, York on 15 August 1941 as No 33 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army Yorkshire Command  in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in Yorkshire, at Catterick, Church Fenton, Clifton/York, Dishforth, Doncaster, Firbeck, Ouston and Woolsington.  With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 12 Group, Fighter Command on 1 June 1943 as No 33 (Reconnaissance) Wing and disbanded on 1 July 1943.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

 Squadron Dates
No 4 Aug 1941 - Mar 1943
No 13 Oct 1941 - Mar 1942
No 63 Jul 1942 - Nov 1942
No 169 Jul 1942 - Dec 1942, Mar 1943
No 183 Jan 1943 - Mar 1943
No 231 Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 271 from Aug 1941
No 613 Aug 1941 - Apr 1942, Jul 1942 - Jun 1943
No 614 Feb 1942
No 654 Sep 1942 - Nov 1942
No 657 Jan 1943 - Mar 1943
No 659 Apr 1943 - Jun 1943
No 809 RN Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
No 1472 Flt Jun 1942 - Jun 1943

It reformed again, this time at 89 Leopoldstraat, MALINES, Belgium, on 7 December 1944 as No 33 (Signals) Wing, absorbing No 105 Mobile Air Reporting Unit to counter the German V-1 threat and disbanded on 20 May 1945.


34th/No 34 Wing

It was formed at Phiprus Cottage. Stockbridge on 8 September 1917 as 34th (Training) Wing RFC  in Southern Training Brigade to control Chattis Hill and Lopcombe Corner: Disbanded 12 October 1918.

It reformed at Eastern Command HQ, LUTON HOO, near Luton on 22 August 1941 as No 34 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army Eastern Command in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in East Anglia at Bottisham, Sawbridgeworth, Snailwell, Stapleford Tawney, Twinwood Farm and Westley.   With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 12 Group, Fighter Command on 1 Jun 1943 as No 34 Strategic Reconnaissance Wing  being immediately transferred to HQ TAF (later 2nd TAF) and it disbanded on 20 September 1945.  The tables below show its locations and details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Date Main HQ
30 Jun 1943 Hartfordbridge (Blackbushe)
8 Apr 1944 Northolt
1 Sep 1944 A-12 Balleroy
8 Sep 1944 B-47 Amiens/Glisy
27 Sep 1944 B-56 Melsbroek
15 Apr 1945 Eindhoven

 

Squadron Dates
No 2 Aug 1941 - Jun 1943
No 4 Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 16 Jun 1943 - Sep 1945
No 69 May 1944 - Jul 1945
No 140 Sep 1941 - Mar 1943, Jun 1943 - Jul 1945
No 168 Jun 1942 - Nov 1942
No 170 Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No  182 Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
No 231 detachment Jul 1942
No 239 Aug 1942-Nov 1942
No 241 Aug 1941 - May 1942
No 268 Aug 1941 - May 1943
No 309 Jun 1943 - Nov 1943
No 613 Apr 1942 - Jul 1942
No 652 Jun 1942 - Dec 1942, Mar 1943
No 654 Dec 1942 - Mar 1943, Jun 1943
No 656 Jan 1943, Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 657 Mar 1943, May 1943 - Jun 1943
No 1401 Flt Jan 1945 - Sep 1945
No 1416 Flt

Aug 1941 - Sep 1941

Officer Commanding: -

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt C R Lousada

xx Jul 1944                     Gp Capt P B B Ogilvie

xx Dec 1944                   Wg Cdr J G Cole

xx Dec 1944                   Gp Capt R I M Bowen

Wing Commander Flying: -

xx xxx 1943                    Wg Cdr G F H Webb

xx Mar 1944                   Wg Cdr G Hughes

It was reformed at Gutersloh on 1 April 1953 as No 34 Reconnaissance Wing to control the squadrons there, with Nos 79 and 541 Squadrons.  On 15 July 1954 No 79 Squadron left to be replaced by a reformed No 69 Squadron on 1 October 1954.  The Wing moved to Laarbruch on 1 November 1954 in No 2 Group where it lost No 541 Squadron on 7 November.  On 1 March 1955 No 31 Squadron was reformed followed by No 214 Squadron on 15 June 1955 but on 1 August No 214 Squadron was redesignated No 80 Squadron and on 15 September 1956, No 79 Squadron rejoined the Wing.  On 11 June 1957 No 80 Squadron left being replaced by No 68 Squadron which reformed on 17 July and then on 1 March 1958 No 16 Squadron reformed within the Wing but on 1 July No 69 Squadron disbanded and on 20 January 1959 No 68 Squadron was redesignated No 5 Squadron.  The Wing disbanded on 1 January 1960.

It reformed again, this time at Waddington, on 1 April 2006 as No 34 Expeditionary Air Wing in the ISTAR role (Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance) and remains in existence.


35th/No 35 Wing

It was formed at Stamford on 22 September 1917 as 35th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Stamford and Easton-on-the-Hill and disbanded into No 3 Group on 9 April 1919.

It reformed at South Eastern Command HQ, Beechwood House, Reigate on 22 August 1941 from the disbanded No 71 Group as No 35 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army South Eastern Command in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in southern England at Croydon, Detling, Gatwick, Hartfordbridge, Odiham, Penshurst.  In April 1943 it took over No 123 Airfield and on with the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 11 Group, Fighter Command on 1 June 1943 as No 35 Reconnaissance Wing, later being transferred to No 84 Group in TAF (later 2nd TAF).  On 10 July 1943 it took over No 130 Airfield, and this was absorbed into the Wing HQ on 7 July 1944.  On 26 July 1944 it began the move to the Continent, and it disbanded on 22 June 1946.  The tables below show its locations and details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Date Main HQ
28 Jun 1943 Odiham
20 Sep 1943 Skerne
16 Oct 1943 The Priory, Odiham
14 Nov 1943 Sawbridgeworth
3 Apr 1944 Gatwick
27 May 1944 Odiham
Jun 1944 Gatwick
17 Jun 1944 Odiham
29 Jul 1944 B-10 Plumetot
15 Aug 1944 B-4 Beny-sur-Mer
1 Sep 1944 B-27 Boisney
5 Sep 1944 B-31 Fresnoy-Folny
10 Sep 1944 B-43 Fort Rouge
15 Sep 1944 Coutrai
27 Sep 1944 B-61 Ghent/St Denis Westrem
11 Oct 1944 B-70 Antwerp/Deurne
22 Nov 1944 B-75 Gilze-Rijen
8 Mar 1945 B-89 Mill
18 Apr 1945 B-106 Twente/Enschede
30 May 1945 B-118 Celle
 
Squadron Dates
No 2 7 Aug 1943 - 22 Jun 1946
'C' FIt No 4 Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
No 4 7 Jul 1944 - 31 Aug 1945
No 13 Aug 1942 - Nov 1942
No 16 19 Sep 1945 - 31 Mar 1946
No 26 Aug 1941 - Sep 1945
No 140 Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 168 Nov 1942 - Sep 1943
No  171 Jun 1942 - Dec 1942, Jun 1943
No  174 Dec 1942 - Mar 1943
No  175 Dec 1942 - Feb 1943
No 239 5 Aug 1941 - Aug 1942, from  Apr 194
No 268 31 May 1943 - 7 Nov 1943, 7 Jul 1944 - 19 Sep 1945
'B' Flt No 309 Dec 1942
No 318 Mar 1943 - Aug 1943
No 400 Aug 1941 - Dec 1942
No 414 Aug 1941 - Dec 1942
No 614 Aug 1942 - Nov 1942
No 652 Jun 1943
No 653 Sep 1942 - Jun 1943
No 655 Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 1401 Flt Sep 1945 - Jun 1946
No 1 CAC Flt from 1 Jan 1942

Officer Commanding: -

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt P L Donkin

xx Apr1944                     Gp Capt A F Anderson

xx May 1944                   Gp Capt P L Donkin

xx Aug 1944                   Gp Capt A F Anderson

Wing Commander Flying: -

xx Jun1943                    Wg Cdr M M Kaye

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr G F Watson-Smythe

xx Dec 1943                  Wg Cdr H P McClean

xx Aug 1944                  Wg Cdr W E V Malins

xx Mar 1945                  Wg Cdr H P McClean


36th/No 36 Wing

This was formed at Upper Croft, Thruxton on 8 October 1917 as 36th (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Boscombe Down, Andover and Upavon, with half Aircraft Repair Sections at both Boscombe Down and Upavon  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under No 7 Group and disbanded on 23 June 1918.

It reformed at Southern Command HQ, Wilton. Salisbury on 15 August 1941 as No 36 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army Southern Command in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in the Salisbury Plain area and the West Country at Andover, Odiham, Thruxton and Weston Zoyland.  With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 10 Group. Fighter Command on 1 June 1943 as No 36 (Reconnaissance) Wing and disbanded on 16 July 1943.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 13 Sep 1941 - Aug 1942
No 16 Aug 1941 - Dec 1942, Mar 1943 - Jun 1943
No 169 Mar 1943 - Nov 1942
No 170 Jun 1942 - Mar 1943
No 225 Aug 1941 - Aug 1942
No 239 Nov 1942, Mar 1943 - May 1943
No 655 Mar 1943
No 658 May 1943 - Jul 1943
No 879 RN Jun 1943 - Jul 1943

37th/No 37 Wing

It was formed at The Oaks, Ledsham, Little Sutton, near Chester on 15 October 1917 as 37th (Training) Wing RFC in Western Group Command to control units at Shotwick and Hooton Park, with a half Aircraft Repair Section at each station.  It moved to Hooton Park on 3 November 1918 and disbanded on 9 April 1919.

It reformed at Western Command HQ, Perton, nearr Chester on 1 September 1941 as No 37 (Army Co-operation) Wing for Army Western Command in Army Co-operation Command to control army co-operation units in north-west.  With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 9 Group, Fighter Command on 1 June 1943  as No 37 (Reconnaissance) Wing and disbanded on 28 July 1943.


38th/No 38 Wing

This was formed at the Palace Hotel, Heliopolis on 9 November 1917 as 38th (Training) Wing RFC with a half Aircraft Repair Section at Helwan and disbanded on 15 April 1919, with the ARS being absorbed into No 16 TDS on 17 July 1919.

Officers Commanding

15 Sep 1917           Lt Col P R C Groves

 5 Nov 1917           Lt Col W H Primrose

24 Jun 1918            Lt Col A W Tedder

It reformed at Netheravon on 19 January 1942 in Army Co-operation Command:, but with the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 10 Group, Fighter Command on 1 June 1943 and was redesignated No 38 (Airborne Division) Wing on 20 July 1943 on being placed under HQ TAF but was then redesignated No 38 Group on 11 October 1943.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 170 Dec 1942 - Feb 1943
No,239 Dec 1942 - Feb 1943
No 295 Aug 1942 - Oct 1943
No 296 Jan 1942 - Jun 1943
No 297 Jan 1942 - Oct 1943
No 298 Aug 1942 - Oct 1942
No 1498 FIt from  Dec 1942
GPEU Aug 1942 Aug 1943

It reformed again on 1 Apr 2006 at Lynehem as No 38 Expeditionary Air Wing (Air Transport).  It specialises in Air Mobility and currently comprises units based at Brize Norton and Northolt.


39th/No 39 Wing

It was formed at 79 London Road, Brandon, Suffolk on 27 October 1917 as 39th (Training) Wing RFC , being placed under No 3 Group on 10 May 1918 and disbanded on 4 April 1919.

It reformed at Dunsfold on 3 December 1942 as No 39 (Reconnaissance) Wing RCAF in Army Co-operation Command  with No 168, 400 and 414 Squadrons.  With the disbandment of Army Co-operation Command it was transferred to No 11 Group, Fighter Command on 1 June 1943.  On 12 June it took over Nos 128 and 129 Airfields (Nos 140, 231, 400, 414 and 430), being transferred to No 83 Group at the same time and on 9 July 1943 it moved to Leatherhead, where it disbanded.

The same day it was reformed at Dunsfold as No 39 (RCAF) (Reconnaissance) Wing in No 83 Group, with Nos 128 and 129 Airfields.  On 20 April 1944 it lost No,129 Airfield to No 15 Wing followed by No 414 Squadron to No 127 Wing on 8 August, returning on 20 September but on 2 October 1944 No 168 Squadron moved to No 143 Wing.  After VE-Day, the unit returned to No 83 Group Disbandment Centre at Dunsfold and was disbanded on 7 August 1945 (now with Nos 400, 414 and 430 Squadrons). The table below shows its locations during this period.

Date Main HQ
1 Aug 1943 Redhill
10 Aug 1943 Woodchurch
14 Oct 1943 Redhill
1 Apr 1944 Odiham
20 Jun 1944 Old Sarum
25 Jun 1944 in transit
1 Jul 1944 B-8 Sommervieu
12 Aug 1944 B-21 St Honorine-de-Ducy
1 Sep 1944 B-34 Avrilly
20 Sep 1944 B-66 Diest
4 Oct 1944 B-78 Eindhoven
6 Mar 1945 B-90 Petit Brogel
30 Mar 1945 B-104 Damm/Wesel
8 Apr 1945 B-108 Rheine
15 Apr 1945 B-116 Wunstorf
26 Apr 1945 B-154 Reinsehlen
6 May 1945 B-156 Luneburg

Officer Commanding: -

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt D M Smith

xx Feb1944                    Gp Capt E H G Moncrief

xx Feb 1945                   Gp Capt G H Sellers

Wing Commander Flying: -

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr J H Godfrey

xx Jul1944                    Wg Cdr R C Waddell


40th/No 40 Wing

This was formed at Deir el Baleh on 5 October 1917 as 40th (Army) Wing RFC on the formation of Palestine Brigade with Nos 67 and 111 Squadrons and 'X' Aircraft Park.  By September 1918 it was at Ramleh and by April 1919 at Ismailia, where it disbanded into Palestine Group on 1 April 1920.  The table below shows details of squadrons allocated to the Wing. 

Squadron Dates
No 67 Oct 1917 - Jan 1919
No 111 Oct 1917 Feb 1919
No 142 Feb 1918 -  Jun 1918
No 144 Aug 1918 - Oct 1918
No 145 Aug 1918 - Feb 1919
1st AFC Sep 1918 - Feb 1919
'X' FIt Nov 1918 -  Mar 1919

Officers Commanding

 5 Oct 1917            Lt Col A E Borton

xx Aug 1918           Lt Col R Williams


41st/No 41 Wing

This was formed at Bainville-sur-Madon (aerodrome at Ochey) on 11 October 1917 as 41st Wing RFC, moving to Villesneux near Reims on 30 March 1918 to work with the French on special operations, returning to Bainville-sur-Madon on 2 April.  By 23 April it was at Pocancy returning to Bainville-sur-Madonagain on 11 May, where it was transferred to the Independent Force in June.  It moved to Lupcourt in July 1918 to Aux-le-Chateau on 18 November and then to Bachincourt Chateau in December before returning as a cadre to the UK at Chingford on 10 February 1919, where it disbanded on 15 February 1919.

Squadron Dates
No 45 Sep 1918-Nov 1918*
No 55 Oct 1917 - Dec 1918
No 99 May 1918 - Dec 1918
No 100 Oct 1917 Jul 1918
No 104 May 1918 - Feb 1919
No 110 Sep 1918 - Jan 1919*
No 216 Apr 1918 - Jul 1918
A/No 16 RNAS Oct 1917 Apr 1918
*transferred to 88th Wing 28 Oct 1918 but returned to 41st Wing 14 Nov 1918

Officers Commanding

11 Oct 1917            Lt Col C L N Newall

28 Dec 1917            Lt Col J E A Baldwin

22 Sep 1918            Lt Col L A Pattinson


42nd/No 42 Wing

This was formed at Camp Borden, Canada in October 1917 as 42nd (Training) Wing RFC to control units at that station.  It moved to Everman on 17 November 1917 and then to Deseronto in April 1918, where it disbanded in March 1919.


43rd/No 43 Wing

This was formed at Deseronto, Canada in October 1917 as 43rd (Training) Wing RFC to control units at Rathbun and Mohawk.  It moved to Benbrook on 17 November 1917 and disbanded  in March 1919.


44th/No 44 Wing

This was formed at Leaside Camp, North Toronto, Canada in October 1917 as 44th (Training) Wing RFC  to control units at Armour Heights and Leaside.  In the Spring of 1918 it moved to Camp Borden to control local units and on 1 January 1919 the HQ staff moved to Toronto, where it disbanded in March 1919.


45th/No 45 Wing

The was planned to form in Canada as 45th (Training) Wing RFC to control Nos 93 to 97 Training Squadrons but never became operational.

It reformed at Gander on 15 February 1946 by redesignating No 45 Group as No 45 (Transport) Wing and disbanded at Nassau in the Bahamas on 20 July 1946, although the Rear Party at Dorval didn't disband until 20 September 1946.


46th/No 46 Wing

This was formed at Burnholme, Heworth, York on 29 October 1917 from the Northern Home Defence Wing as 46th (Home Defence) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade, comprising Nos 36, 76 and 77 Squadrons.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 Apr 1918 it was placed under 17th Group, then on 1 June to 24th Group, it disbanded on 25 March 1919.


47th/No 47 Wing

This was formed at Adastral House, Victoria Embankment, London SW on 29 October 1917 from South Midland Home Defence Wing as 47th (Home Defence) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade, comprising No 51 Squadron and Nos 190-192 Depot Squadrons.  On 10 November it moved to Leighton House, Trumpington, Cambridge, now with Nos 38 and 51 Squadrons and Nos 190-192 Depot Squadrons.  With the formation of the RAF on 1 April 1918 it was placed under No 1 Area, which became South Eastern Area on 8 May 1918, it disbanded on 13 June 1919.


48th/No 48 Wing

This was formed at The Lawns. Summerhill Road, North Sandfields, Gainsborough on 1 February 1918 from North Midland Home Defence Wing as 48th (Home Defence) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade, comprising No 33 Squadron and Nos 188, 189, 199 and 200 Depot Squadrons.  Following the formation of the RAF it was placed under 24th Group on 1 June 1918 and disbanded on 18 April 1919.


49th/No 49 Wing

This was formed at Woodford Green on 29 October 1917 from Eastern Home Defence Wing as 49th (Home Defence) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade.  It later moved to Upminster Hall, Upminster, Essex with Nos 39, 44, 61, 78 and 141 Squadrons.  Following the formation of the RAF it was placed under 24th Group on 1 June 1918 and on 22 May 1919 it absorbed 50th Wing at The Vineyards, Great Baddow, Essex, which moved to Upminster the following day.  It disbanded on 13 June 1919.


50th/No 50 Wing

This was formed at Adastral House, Victoria Embankment, London SW on 29 October 1917 from Southern Home Defence Wing as 50th (Home Defence) Wing RFC in 6th Brigade, comprising Nos 37, 39, 50 and 75 Squadrons.  It later took over Nos 61 and 143 Squadrons and No 198 Depot Squadron and on 25 March 1918 moved to The Vineyards, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex. but on 22 May 1919 it merged into 49th Wing, with the remnants moving to join the 50th Wing at Upminster the following day.

Officers Commanding

14 Jun 1918                Lt Col P Babington

It reformed at Odiham on 11 January 1937 as No 50 (Army Co-operation) Wing in No 22 Group, initially comprising Nos 4, 13 and 53 Squadrons.  In April 1939 it was allocated to the Air Component BEF and on 13 September was in transit to France, arriving at Brest on 21 September.  It moved to Athies on 24 September, where it was allocated to support 1st Army on 23 February 1940, now with Nos 4, 13 and 59 Squadrons but on 7 March No 59 Squadron was transferred to No 52 Wing.  Following the German invasion it soon found itself moving back towards the coast and on 17 May was at Maroeuil and on 20 May at Le Parcq.  It arrived back in the UK at Dover on 21 May, moving to Manston the next day, then to Ringway on 28 May before going to Redhill 9 June, where it disbanded on 6 August 1940.

It reformed again, this time at Silloth, on 21 April 1941 as No 50 (Maintenance) Wing (Northern) to take over Maintenance Units in the Northern region.  On 1 June it established itself at Hutton Hall, Hutton-in-the-Forest, Penrith in No 41 Group, initially controlling Nos 12, 18, 22, 23, 44, 45 and 46 MUs and Nos 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 19, 20, 26, 36 39 and 43 SLGs.  It moved to Geltsdale, Wetheral on 15 August 1941, where it disbanded on 21 November 1942.


This page was last updated on 28/06/18

         [Top of Page]