Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Initial Training Wings/Recruit Centres etc


This section will give brief histories of those ground training units providing recruit or initial training of airmen/airwomen: -

Airmen Aircrew Initial Training School

This was formed on 30 January 1967 at Topcliffe and disbanded on in February 1970 into No 6 FTS.

No 1 Cadet Wing

This was formed from the Cadet Wing at Denham on 1 July 1917 at 13 Eversfield Place, Hastings, moving to 6 West Ascent, St Leonards on Sea on 22 August and then to East Sandling Camp, Shorncliffe in October 1918, where it disbanded on 1 February 1919.

No 2 Cadet Wing

This was formed on 1 July 1917 at Hursley Park, Winchester, moving to 4 Carlisle Place, Hasting on 22 August and then to St Martin's Plain Camp, Shorncliffe on 29 October 1918, where it and disbanded on 15 May 1919.

No 3 Cadet Wing

This was formed on 1 July 1917 at Aboukir and disbanded in August 1919.

No 5 Cadet Wing

This was formed on 1 August 1917 at Hursley Park, Winchester and disbanded on 10 September 1917.

It reformed from No 7 and 8 Cadet Wings on 18 September 1917 at Halton Park, moving to Hastings on 22 October and then to Dibgate Camp, Shorncliffe by 31 December 1918, where it and disbanded on 24 January 1919.

No 6 Cadet Wing

The nucleus of this unit was formed on 1 August 1917 at Denham, moving to 57 Warrior Square, Hastings on 23 January 1918 and disbanded before August.

It reformed on 8 August 1918 at Shorncliffe and disbanded in August 1919.

No 7 Cadet Wing

This was formed on 10 September 1917 at South Farnborough and amalgated with No 8 Cadet Wing to form No 5 Cadet Wing on 18 September 1917.

It reformed on in July 1918 at Hastings, moving to Reading on 8 August and disbanded on in August 1919.

No 8 Cadet Wing

This was formed on 10 September 1917 at South Farnborough and amalgamated with No 7 Cadet Wing to form No 5 Cadet Wing on 18 September 1917.

It reformed on in July 1918 at West Sandling Camp, Shorncliffe and disbanded on 15 May 1919.

RAF Czechoslovak Depot

This was formed on 18 August 1940 at Cosford, moving to Wilmslow on 19 December 1940 in No 20 Group and then to St Athan in No 24 Group on 14 February 1942, where it disbanded in May 1944.

No 1 Initial Training School

No 1 Initial Training School

This was formed as No 1 ITS on 7 September 1939 at Cambridge and was redesignated No 1 ITW on 15 September 1939.

It reformed as the ITS from No 50 ITS on 21 May 1946 at Bridgnorth, moving to North Coates on 2 January 1947 and disbanded on 15 October 1947.

It reformed again as the ITS on 20 February 1948 at Wittering, being split into two wings on 16 November 1949, No 1 remaining at Wittering, whilst No 2 moved to Digby.  On 17 April 1950 both wings moved to Jurby, where it was transferred to No 54 Group on 1 May 1951, ceasing to known as No 1 ITS on 24 July 1953 and officially disbanded on 10 September 1953.

It reformed as No 1 ITS from No 2 ITS on 1 October 1953 at Kirton-in-Lindsey in No 21 Group.  It was transferred to No 54 Group on 24 June 1953 and absorbed the Air Crew Transit Unit on 23 October. On 1 January 1955 it was transferred to No 23 Group and then to No 25 Group on 1 January 1957, moving to South Cerney on 22 July 1957, where it was redesignated the Aircrew Officer Training School on 1 January 1967.

No 2 Initial Training School

This was formed from  on 1 October 1950 at Digby in No 23 Group, to train National Service aircrew.  Transferred to No 54 Group on 1 May 1951, it moved to Kirton-in-Lindsey on 15 August, absorbing No 4 ITS at the same time.  On 15 January 1952 No 3 (Digby) Wing was formed from No 2 Aircrew Grading School and No 3 (Digby) Wing was transferred to No 3 ITS on 22 July 1952.  Control was transferred to No 21 Group on 24 June 1952 and it was redesignated No 1 ITS on 1 October 1953.

No 3 Initial Training School

Formed on 1 December 1950 at Cranwell to train regular aircrew.  Initially in No 21 Group, it transferred to No 54 Group on 1 May 1951 and in October No 4 Wing moved to Cosford to form No 5 ITS.  This unit operated Chipmunks and gave ab initio training to prospective aircrew in order to determine which were suitable for pilot and navigator training.  On 23 January 1952, No 3 (Digby) Wing formed when No 2 Aircrew Grading School was disbanded but disbanded on 19 March 1952.  No 3 (Digby) Wing was reformed on 22 July 1952 from No 2 (Digby) Wing, No 2 ITS and the school disbanded on 24 March 1953.

No 4 Initial Training School

This was formed from Nos 1 and 2 Squadrons, No 2 ITS on 3 May 1951 at Kirton-in-Lindsey in No 54 Group, to train National Service pilots and navigators was absorbed into No 2 ITS on 15 August 1951.

No 5 Initial Training School

This was formed from No 4 Wing, No 3 ITS on 6 October 1951 at Cosford in No 54 Group and disbanded on 5 July 1952.

No 51 (Air Gunners) Initial Training School

This was formed on 1 September 1943 at Ballah, the elementary element closing on 15 October 1944 disbanded on 30 April 1945.

Initial Training School (Officers)

This had been formed by February 1940 at Risalpur but its fate is unknown.

No 1 Initial Training Wing

This was formed at Jesus College Cambridge on 15 September 1939 by redesignating No 1 Initial Training School.  On 1 July 1940 it was redesignated No 2 ITW to prevent confusion with No 1 Receiving Wing.  No 1 ITW was reformed on 14 Jun 1941 by redesignating No 1 RW at Babbacombe, eventually disbanding on 1 March 1944.

It reformed from No 1 Receiving Wing on 14 June 1941 at the Jesus College, Cambridge and disbanded on 1 March 1944.

No 1 Initial Training Wing (Southern Rhodesia)

Although no formation date has been found for this unit it is assumed that it occurred prior to April 1940 when the first Elementary Flying Training School opened in Southern Rhodesia.  It was located in an old Army camp at Hillside near Bulawayo and like its counterparts in the UK would have been where newly arrived trainee pilots and observers, would have undergone their initial ground schooling in Principles of Flight, navigation, Airframes, Engines, etc as well as ‘square bashing’, learning about Air Force Law and the myriad of other details needed for air force life.

No 2 Initial Training Wing

Formed in 1940 at Paignton, Devon, it was redesignated No 4 ITW, with No 1 ITW in Cambridge being redesignated No 2 ITW sometime in late 1940 or early 1941.

No 3 Initial Training Wing

Formed in Hastings and St Leonards on Sea  on 18 September 1939, it moved to St James' Hotel, Victoria Parade in Torquay on 24 June 1940.  It became an ITW for PNB candidates in 1942 (Pilot/Navigator/Bomb Aimer) and later also undertook the initial training of Flight Engineers.  It disbanded by being redesignated No 21 ITW on 29 May 1943.  It briefly reformed in Torquay on 15 September 1943 to train PNB candidates but disbanded on 1 March 1944.

No 4 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 27 September 1939 at Bexhill but moved to Paignton in Devon on 1 July 1940.  It later became an ITW specialising in training Air Gunners but then reverted to the training of Pilots/Navigators and Air Bombers.  It disbanded on 1 March 1944.

No 5 Initial Training Wing

Formed in Hastings on 13 November 1939, it moved to Torquay, with its HQ at Castle Chambers, Higher Union Street, on 24 June 1940, finally disbanding on 1 March 1944.

This was formed at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Scarborough on 15 March 1941 and specialised in the training of prospective pilots and observers, later Pilots, Navigators and Air Bombers.

No 6 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 1 August 1940 at the Queen's Hotel, Aberystwyth and disbanded on 10 May 1944.

No 7 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 1 October 1940 at the Ballevista Hotel, Newquay and disbanded on 10 May 1944 into No 40 ITW.

No 8 Initial Training Wing

This was formed from No 9 Receiving Wing on 14 June 1941 at the Newquay and disbanded on 25 May 1944.

No 9 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 14 June 1941 at the Arden Hotel, Stratford-on-Avon and disbanded on 25 May 1944.

No 10 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 13 December 1940 at the Grand Hotel, Scarborough and disbanded on 18 June 1945.

No 11 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 15 March 1941 at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Scarborough and disbanded on 10 October 1944.

No 12 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 12 May 1941 at the Marine Hotel, St Andrews and disbanded on 21 May 1944.

No 13 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 1 June 1941 at the Grand Hotel, Torquay and disbanded on 1 March 1944.

No 14 Initial Training Wing

This was formed at Marine Court in Hastings on 23 September 1941 but moved to Bridlington in East Yorkshire on 16 January 1942, where it was redesignated No 18 ITW on 25 March 1944.

It reformed at Bridgnorth in Shropshire on 25 March 1944 when No 18 ITW was redesignated.  It assumed responsibility for the initial service training of air gunners until it was disbanded there on 21 April 1944 with its tasking being reallocated to Nos 80, 81 and 82 ITWs.

No 15 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 23 September 1943 at Bridlington and disbanded on 26 February 1944.

It reformed from No 19 ITW on 26 February 1944 at the Bridgnorth and disbanded on 21 April 1944 into Nos 80, 81 and 82 ITWs.

No 16 Initial Training Wing                           

 This was formed on 1 October 1943 at Whitley Bay and disbanded on 1 February 1944.

No 17 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 13 October 1941 at Belvedere House, Esplanade, Scarborough and disbanded on 4 October 1944.

No 18 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 4 January 1943 at Bridgnorth and was redesignated No 14 ITW on 25 March 1944.

It reformed from No 14 ITW on 25 March 1944 at the Bridlington and disbanded on 21 April 1944 into No 70 ITW.

No 19 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 20 March 1943 at Bridgnorth and was redesignated No 15 ITW on 26 February 1944.

It reformed from No 15 ITW on 26 February 1944 at the Bridlington and disbanded on 21 April 1944 into No 70 ITW.

No 20 Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 29 May 1943 at Bridlington, moving to Usworth on 6 November 1943 and disbanded on 21 April 1944.

No 21 Initial Training Wing

This was formed from No 3 ITW on 29 May 1943 at the Torquay, moving to Usworth on 15 September 1943 and then to Bridlington on 6 November, where it and disbanded on 21 April 1944 into No 70 ITW.

No 22 Initial Training Wing

This was planned to form at Scarborough but this was cancelled

No 23 (French) Initial Training Wing

This was formed on 1 October 1943 at Filey Bay, moving to Stormy Down on 27 November 1944 and then to Bridgnorth on 6 April 1946, where it disbanded on 1 August 1946.

No 40 Initial Training Wing (Pilot)

This was formed from Nos 7 and 8 ITWs on 10 May 1944 at the Newquay, moving to Stormy Down on 21 August 1944 disbanded on 27 November 1944.

No 41 Initial Training Wing (Pilot)

This was planned to form at Scarborough but this was cancelled

No 42 Initial Training Wing (Pilot)

This was formed from No 2 ITW on 26 February 1944 at Cambridge and disbanded on 17 May 1944.

No 43 Initial Training Wing (Pilot)

This was planned to form at Cambridge but this was cancelled

No 50 Initial Training Wing (Nav/AB)

This was formed on 1 June 1944 at Bridgnorth and was redesignated No 1 ITS on 21 May 1946.

No 51 Initial Training Wing (Nav/AB)

This was planned to be formed on 26 February 1944 at Bridgnorth but this was cancelled

No 60 Initial Training Wing (?)

This was formed on 26 February 1944 at Usworth, moving to Bridgnorth on 31 March 1945 disbanded on 6 May 1945 into No 50 ITW.

No 70 Initial Training Wing (W/Op)

This was formed from Nos 18, 19 and 21 ITWs on 21 April 1944 at Bridlington and disbanded on 21 October 1944.

No 71 Initial Training Wing (W/Op)

This was planned to be formed on 26 February 1944 at Bridlington but this was cancelled

No 80 Initial Training Wing (AG)

This was formed from Nos 14 and 15 ITWs and the EAGS on 21 April 1944 at Bridgnorth and disbanded on 27 November 1944.

No 81 Initial Training Wing (AG)

This was formed from Nos 14 and 15 ITWs and the EAGS on 21 April 1944 at Bridgnorth and disbanded on 6 October 1944.

No 82 Initial Training Wing (AG)

This was formed from Nos 14 and 15 ITWs and the EAGS on 21 April 1944 at Bridgnorth and disbanded on 31 May 1944.

No 90 Initial Training Wing (FE)

This was formed on 10 May 1944 at Cranage and disbanded on 28 October 1944.

No 91 Initial Training Wing (FE)

This was planned to be formed on 26 February 1944 at Newquay but this was cancelled

Polish Initial Training Wing

This was formed from No 12 ITW on 25 July 1942 at Brighton, moving to Croughton on 21 May 1944 disbanded on 1 November 1945.

Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 1 April 1943 at Abbey Lodge, Regents Park, London, controlling a number of centres around the country and disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 1 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 8 March 1943 at Edinburgh and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 2 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 15 March 1943 at Wandsworth and Battersea and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 3 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 20 April 1943 at Tooting and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 4 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 27 March 1943 at Brough and Westminster and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 5 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing  

his was formed on 3 April 1943 at West Norwood and Hammersmith and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 6 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 10 April 1943 at Cardiff and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 7 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 17 April 1943 at Aberdeen and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 8 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 10 May 1943 at Wolverhampton and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 9 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 17 May 1943 at Bradford and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 10 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 24 May 1943 at Manchester and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 11 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 31 May 1943 at Walthamstow and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 12 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 7 June 1943 at Edinburgh and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 13 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 28 June 1943 at Ealing and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 14 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 20 June 1943 at Cheltenham and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 15 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 5 July 1943 at Hull and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 16 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 5 July 1943 at Rotherham and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 17 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 26 July 1943 at Dudley and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 18 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 2 August 1943 at Cannock and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 19 Centre, Preliminary Air Crew Training Wing

This was formed on 9 August 1943 at Liverpool and presumably disbanded on 2 March 1945.

No 1 Receiving Wing

This was formed on 20 November 1940 at Norcliffe Hotel, Babbacombe and was redesignated No 1 Initial Training Wing on 14 June 1941

No 9 Receiving Wing

This was formed on 20 November 1940 at Stratford-upon-Avon and was redesignated No 9 Initial Training Wing on 14 July 1941

No 1 Recruit Receiving Centre

This was formed from No 1 RAF Depot on 7 September 1939 at Uxbridge and was redesignated No 1 Recruits Centre on 4 January 1940

No 2 Recruit Receiving Centre

This was formed from No 2 RAF Depot on 7 September 1939 at Cardington and was redesignated No 2 Recruits Centre on 4 January 1940

No 3 Recruit Receiving Centre

This was formed from No 3 RAF Depot on 7 September 1939 at Padgate and was redesignated No 3 Recruits Centre on 4 January 1940

No 4 Recruit Receiving Centre

This was formed on 12 October 1939 at Bridgnorth and was redesignated No 4 Recruits Centre on 4 January 1940

No 7 Recruit Receiving Centre

This was formed on 2 December 1939 at Morecombe and was redesignated No 7 Recruits Centre on 4 January 1940

Recruit Sub-Depot, Finningley

This was formed on 18 July 1938 at Finningley and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, Upwood

This was formed on 22 August 1938 at Upwood and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, Dishforth

This was formed on 29 August 1938 at Dishforth and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, South Cerney

This was formed on 19 October 1938 at South Cerney and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, North Coates

This was formed on 11 September 1939 at North Coates and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, Sutton Bridge

This was formed on 11 September 1939 at Sutton Bridge and was redesignated a Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre on 14 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Depot, Catfoss

This was formed on 16 September 1939 at Catfoss and was redesignated No 1 Recruit Training Pool on 18 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, Dishforth

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at Dishforth and was redesignated No 7 Recruit Training Pool on 22 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, Finningley

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at Finningley and was redesignated No 5 Recruit Training Pool on 28 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, North Coates

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at North Coates and was redesignated No 2 Recruit Training Pool on 22 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, South Cerney

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at South Cerney and was redesignated No 8 Recruit Training Pool on 22 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, Sutton Bridge

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at Sutton Bridge and was redesignated No 3 Recruit Training Pool on 22 September 1939

Recruit Sub-Receiving Centre, Upwood

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Depot on 14 September 1939 at Upwood and was redesignated No 6 Recruit Training Pool on 23 September 1939

No 1 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed on 18 September 1939 at Catfoss and disbanded on 8 June 1940

No 2 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 22 September 1939 at North Coates and was redesignated No 9 Recruits Centre on 8 January 1940

No 3 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 23 September 1939 at Sutton Bridge and disbanded on 29 October 1939

It reformed on 29 October 1939 at Hawkinge and disbanded on 16 February 1940

No 4 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed on 14 September 1939 at Martlesham Heath and disbanded on 4 December 1939

No 5 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 26 September 1939 at Finningley under the control of No 24 Group and disbanded on 7 March 1940

No 6 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 27 September 1939 at Upwood under the control of No 24 Group and disbanded on 15 May 1940

No 7 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 28 September 1939 at Dishforth and disbanded on 17 October 1939

It reformed on 13 November 1939 at Felixstowe and disbanded on 17 May 1940

No 8 Recruit Training Pool

This was formed from Recruit Sub-Receiving Depot on 22 September 1939 at South Cerney and disbanded on 31 October 1939

It reformed on 13 November 1939 at Manston and was redesignated No 8 Recruits Centre on 9 January 1940

Recruiting Centre

This was formed on 7 August 1919 at Henlow and disbanded on 30 October 1919

No 1 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 4 January 1940 at Uxbridge as part of the reformed No 1 RAF Depot..  It moved to the Wessex Hotel in Gloucester on 3 December 1940 and then to 31 Victoria Road, Penarth in No 24 Group.  On 13 November 1942 it was transferred to No 20 Group, moving to Melksham on 8 March 1945 and to Yatesbury on 1 December, where it disbanded on 31 August 1947

No 2 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 2 Recruit Receiving Centre on 4 January 1940 at Cardington under the control of No 27 Group.  It was transferred to No 20 Group on 11 November 1942 and disbanded on 1 November 1948

No 3 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 3 Recruit Receiving Centre on 4 January 1940 at Padgate under the control of No 24 Group and was absorbed into No 15 RC on 9 September 1941

It reformed on 25 June 1945 at Padgate and was redesignated No 3 School of Recruit Training on 1 November 1948

No 4 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 4 Recruit Receiving Centre on 4 January 1940 at Bridgnorth under the control of No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 24 Group on 13 May 1941 and disbanded on before March 1942

It reformed on 25 June 1945 at Wilmslow and was redesignated No 4 School of Recruit Training on 1 November 1948

No 5 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 25 April 1940 at West Kirby with staff from No 1 Personnel Despatch Centre and operated in this role under the control of No 24 Group.  It detached No 4 Wing to Weston-super-Mare on 20 February 1941 and No 1 Wing to Skegness on 3 March  and was redesignated No 1 Personnel Despatch Centre on 19 September 1941

It reformed on 1 September 1946 at West Kirby and was redesignated No 5 School of Recruit Training on 1 November 1948

No 6 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 11 April 1940 at Wilmslow and was redesignated No 2 Personnel Despatch Centre on 17 September 1941 but is also supposed to have merged with No 15 Recruits Centre at Blackpool on 1 September 1941

It reformed on 19 September 1946 by redesignating No 14 Recruits Centre at Innsworth and disbanded on 15 December 1947

No 7 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 7 Recruit Receiving Centre on 2 December 1939 at Morecombe and closed on 24 October 1941

It reformed on 1 October 1946 at Bridgnorth and was redesignated No 7 School of Recruit Training on 1 November 1948

No 8 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 8 Recruit Training Pool on 9 January 1940 at Manston and disbanded on 8 June 1940

It reformed on 18 January 1941 at Arbroath and disbanded on 23 April 1945

No 9 Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 2 Recruit Training Pool on 8 January 1940 at North Coates and disbanded on 30 April 1940

This was formed as a Recruit Training Centre at Blackpool on 17 June 1940 but was redesignated No 9 Recruits Centre on 27 June 1940 and disbanded on 15 January 1943

No 10 (Signals) Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 11 July 1940 at Blackpool under the control of No 22 Group.  It was transferred to No 27 Group by April 1941 and was redesignated No 13 Radio School on 16 August 1943

No 11 Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 10 February 1941 at the Seacroft Hotel, Skegness under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to No 20 Group at some point and then to No 27 Group on 11 November 1942 and disbanded on 26 October 1944

It reformed on 23 July 1945 at Deenethorpe and disbanded on 24 May 1946

No 12 Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 3 March 1941 at Somerset House, Bath Road, Bournemouth under the control of No 24 Group and absorbed into No 3 Personnel Reception Centre on 16 February 1942

It reformed on 23 July 1945 at Kimbolton and disbanded on 10 May 1946

No 13 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 29 August 1945 at Greenham Common and disbanded on 20 April 1946

No 14 Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 2 May 1941 at Weston-super-Mare under the control of No 20 Group and disbanded on 8 April 1943

No 14 Recruits Centre

It reformed on 27 August 1945 at Hereford and was redesignated No 6 Recruits Centre on 17 September 1946

Graduation Photo courtesy of Andrew Cummings (Max Martin's (5th from right, back row) grandfather)

 

No 15 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 7 July 1941 at Blackpool and disbanded on 29 March 1943

It reformed from No 4 (Recruit) Wing, No 5 School of Technical Training, West Kirby on 15 October 1945 at Compton Bassett and disbanded on 26 June 1946

No 16 Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 28 April 1941 at Royal Hotel, Great Yarmouth under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to No 27 Group at some point and then to No 20 Group on 11 November 1942 and disbanded on 15 March 1943

It reformed on 11 October 1945 at Sudbury and disbanded on 24 May 1946

No 17 Recruits Centre

This was formed from  on 7 April 1941 at Malvern Hotel, York Road, Bridlington under the control of No 20 Group and disbanded on

It reformed on 11 October 1945 at Rattlesden and disbanded on 20 April 1946

No 18 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 26 May 1941 at Coatham Hotel, Redcar under the control of No 20 Group and  on 15 March 1945

It reformed on 10 October 1945 at Debach.  It moved to Leiston on 30 October and disbanded on 30 May 1946

No 19 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 12 October 1945 at Metfield under the control of No 24 Group and disbanded on 20 April 1946

No 20 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 2 June 1941 at The Crescent Hotel, Filey under the control of No 20 Group and absorbed into No 1 RAF Regiment School, Filey on 14 November 1942

No 21 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 25 May 1942 at Blackpool under the control of No 20 Group and disbanded on 31 October 1942

No 22 Recruits Centre

This was formed on 7 July 1941 at Whitley Bay under the control of No 20 Group and was redesignated No 2 RAF Regiment School on 1 February 1942

It reformed from  on 22 February 1943 at Newtownards under the control of No 20 Group.  It moved to Long Kesh on 23 March 1944 then to Aldergrove on 23 June 1947, where it and was redesignated No 4 Reception Unit on 18 August 1947

No 30 (WAAF) Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 2 (WAAF) Depot on 30 November 1942 at Innsworth under the control of No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 28 Group on 1 August 1943 and disbanded on 10 September 1943

No 31 (WAAF) Recruits Centre

This was formed from No 3 (WAAF) Depot on 30 November 1942 at Morecombe.  It moved to Wilmslow on 24 February 1943, where it and was redesignated No 31 School of WAAF Recruit Training on 1 November 1948

Recruits Training Depot

This was formed on 14 August 1919 at Uxbridge and was redesignated RAF Depot on 23 December 1919

No 1 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 10 December 1948 at Melksham.  It moved to Henlow 1 July 1949 and then to Cardington on 1 September 1951, where it disbanded on 5 June 1953.

No 2 School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 2 Recruits Centre on 1 November 1948 at Cardington and disbanded on 4 October 1950.

No 3 School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 3 Recruits Centre on 1 November 1948 at Padgate and disbanded on 31 March 1957.

No 4 School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 4 Recruits Centre on 1 November 1948 at Wilmslow and disbanded on 31 March 1957.

No 5 School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 5 Recruits Centre on 1 November 1948 at West Kirby and disbanded on 1 November 1958.

No 6 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 23 March 1950 at Hereford and disbanded on 1 April 1952.

No 7 School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 7 Recruits Centre on 1 November 1948 at Bridgnorth.  It moved to Innsworth on 28 February 1963 and then to Swinderby on 20 March 1964.  No 2 Wing was formed at Hemswell on 1 April 1965, closing on 17 June 1967 and it was redesignated the School of RAF Recruit Training on 5 October 1970.

No 8 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 12 July 1950 at Kirkham and disbanded on 15 May 1952.

No 9 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 14 August 1950 at Weeton and disbanded on 7 July 1952.

No 10 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 16 August 1950 at Melksham and disbanded on 24 August 1953.

No 11 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 20 September 1950 at Hednesford and disbanded on 3 December 1956.

No 12 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 20 September 1950 at Cosford and disbanded on 1 October 1951.

No 13 School of Recruit Training

This was formed on 20 September 1950 at Innsworth and disbanded on 24 November 1952.

No 14 School of Recruit Training

This was formed at Henlow, date unknown, and disbanded on 1 June 1952.

RAF School of Recruit Training

This was formed from No 7 School of Recruit Training on 5 October 1970 at Swinderby, moving to Halton in 1993 and remains in existence.

RAF (Belgian) Initial Training School

This was formed on 8 November 1943 at Goring-on-Thames, with the reception and training elements moving to Snitterfield in No 54 Group on 1 January 1944 and disbanded on 13 October 1944 into the RAF (Belgian) Training School.

RAF (Belgian) Training School

This was formed on 13 October 1944 at Snailwell in No 28 Group.  The recruit reception element moved to Bottisham on 9 June 1945 and it was transferred to Belgium on 15 March 1946.

RAF Depot

This was formed from the RAF Reserve Depot on 28 November 1918 at Blandford, moving to Halton on 23 March 1919 and was probably redesignated the Recruits Training Depot on an unknown date.

RAF Depot

It reformed from the Recruits Training Depot on 12 December 1919 at Halton.  moving to Uxbridge on 6 April 1920 and was redesignated No 1 RAF Depot on 1 September 1937.

No 1 RAF Depot

This was formed from the RAF Depot on 1 September 1937 at Uxbridge.   and was redesignated No 1 Recruit Receiving Centre on 7 September 1939.

It reformed from the RAF Depot on 4 January 1940 at Uxbridge and was redesignated RAF Station Uxbridge on 25 November 1942.

No 2 RAF Depot

This was formed on 27 May 1937 at Henlow.  moving to Cardington on 30 September 1937 and was redesignated No 2 Recruit Receiving Centre on 7 September 1939.

No 3 RAF Depot

This was formed on 3 April 1939 at Padgate and was redesignated No 3 Recruit Receiving Centre on 7 September 1939.

RAF Reception Depot

This was formed from the Civilian Intake Section, RAF Depot on 1 September 1924 at West Drayton but its task was transferred to Nos 1 and 2 RRCs on 2 September 1939.

RAF Reserve Depot

This was formed on 1 April 1918 at Blandford and was redesignated the RAF Depot on 28 November 1918.

WAAF Depot

This was formed from No 3 PTC on 30 October 1939 at West Drayton, moving to Harrogate on 18 September 1940 and was redesignated No WAAF Depot on 1 January 1941.

WAAF Depot

This was formed on 5 July 1943 at Lydda, moving to Ramleh by 31 December and disbanded in February 1944.

No 1 WAAF Depot

This was formed from the WAAF Depot on 30 December 1940 at Harrogate in No 20 Group, moving to Bridgnorth on 30 May 1941 and disbanded on 30 September 1942.

No 2 WAAF Depot

This was formed on 30 December 1940 at Innsworth in No 24 Group and was redesignated No 30 (WAAF) Recruit Centre on 30 November 1942.

No 3 WAAF Depot

This was formed on 1 October 1941 at Morecombe and was redesignated No 31 (WAAF) Recruit Centre on 30 November 1942.

WAAF NCOs' Administrative School

This was formed on 23 October 1942 at Melksham in No 28 Group, moving to Wilmslow on 30 June 1943 and disbanded in December 1945.

WAAF NCOs' School

This was formed on 23 December 1941 at Melksham in No 28 Group, moving to Wilmslow on 30 June 1943 and later to Husbands Bosworth, where it disbanded on 1 August 1945.

No 31 WAAF Training School/School of WAAF Recruiting

This was formed from No 31 (WAAF) Recruit Centre on 1 November 1948 at Wilmslow and was redesignated No 31 WRAF Recruit Training School on 1 February 1949.

No 31 WRAF Recruit Training School

This was formed from No 31 WAAF Training School on 1 February 1949 at Wilmslow and disbanded on 26 July 1960

This page was last updated on 09/06/17 using FrontPage 2003© 

[Top of Page]