Air of Authority  - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


No 51  - 110 Wings


This list does not include Initial Training Wings, which are listed under Ground Training Units.

No 51 Wing

This had been formed in France by November 1917 for service in Italy, departing on 6 November and arriving in Milan on 12 November.   On 10 March 1918 it entrained for No 3 Aircraft Park, Candas in France, eventually going to Bellevue on 4 April 1918, where it came under 9th Brigade, where on 3 June it began working with the French.  It finally disbanded on 30 July 1919.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Main HQ
17 Nov 1917 Montichiari
22 Nov 1917 Verona
28 Nov 1917 Villalta
by Feb 1918 Fossalunga
4 Apr 1918 Bellevue
3 Jun 1918 Fouquerolles
7 Jun 1918 Bois de Vallenes
21 Jun 1918 Basse Boulogne
14 Jul 1918 Touquin?
by 5 Aug 1918 Croisette
by 2 Sep 1918 Villeman Château, Blangermont
by Nov 1918 Cartigny
18 Nov 1918 Aulnoye
by Nov 1918 Berlaimont
17 Dec 1918 Château Golzinne. North of Fort de Maizeret,  near Brussels
by Jan 1919 Chateau de la Rock, Arquennes
6 May 1919 No 1 Kaiser Strasse, Bad Godesberg
30 May 1919 Wahn

 

Squadron Dates
No 1 Aug 1918 - Nov 1918
No 6 Mar 1918
No 11 Nov 1918 - Jul 1919
No 18 to May 1919
No 22 Nov 1918 - Mar 1919, Jul 1919 - Sep 1919
No 25 May 1919
No 27 Nov 1918 - Dec 1918
No 28 Nov 1917 - Mar 1918
No 34 Nov 1917 - Feb 1918
No 43 Apr 1918 - Nov 1918
No 45 Dec 1917 - Jan 1918
No 49 Nov 1918
No 54 Jun 1918 - Aug 1918
No 62 Nov 1918 - Jul 1919
No 66 Nov 1917 - Jan 1918
No 80 Apr 1918 - Aug 1918
No 88 Nov 1918-May 1919
No 94 Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
No 107 Jun 1918 - Jan 1919
No 205 Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
No 207 May 1919 - May 1919
2 AFC

Jun 1918 - Jul 1918

17th US Aero May 1918

Officers Commanding

xx Oct 1917            Lt Col R P Mills

In April 1939 it was allocated for service with the Air Component BEF, to control Nos 2, 26 and 59 Squadrons but didn't actually reform until 11 May 1939 at Andover as No 51 (Army Co-operation) Wing in No 22 Group.  It initially comprised Nos 16 and 59 Squadrons and began the move to France on 1 October, arriving in Cherbourg on 2 October.  On 3 October it settled at 4 Rue Jean Jaurès, Abbeville and on 23 February 1940 was assigned to work with 2nd Army, now with Nos 2, 59 and 226 Squadrons.  It was reorganised on 7 March with Nos 2 and 26 Squadrons and in April moved to Dieppe but following the German breakthrough it was forced to return to Cherbourg on 21 May in order to return to the UK.  It arrived at Lympne on 23 May and on 8 June moved to West Malling, where it was redesignated SHQ West Malling on 10 June 1940.

It reformed at Broughton Hall, Broughton. near Hawarden. Chester on 21 April 1941 as No 51 (Maintenance) Wing (Midland) to take control of the MUs in the Midland region, initially controlling Nos 9, 24, 27, 29, 37, 48 and 51 MUs, later taking over Nos 29, 30, 33, 37 and 48 SLGs, finally disbanding on 21 Nov 1942.


52nd/No 52 Wing

This was formed at Peshawar in March 1918 as 52nd (Corps) Wing, later moving to Murree.  In June 1919 it returned to Peshawar then to Dera Ismail Khan on 9 October 1919, with an Advanced HQ at Manzai, until it was redesignated No 3 (Indian) Wing on 1 April 1920.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

 
Squadron Dates
No 1 Jan 1920 - Apr 1920
No 3 Jan 1920 - Apr 1920
No 5 Feb 1920 - Apr 1920
No 20 Jun  - Apr 1920
No 28 Jan 1920 - Apr 1920
No 31 Sep 1918 - Apr 1920
No 48 Jun 1919 - Feb 1920
No 97 Jul 1919 - Apr 1920
No 99 Jun 19 - Apr 1920
No 114 Sep 1918 - Jan 1920

Officers Commanding: -

xx Mar 1918                    Lt Col J R Campbell-Heathcote

It reformed at Hendon on 1 November 1939 as No 52 (Army Co-operation) Wing to control Nos 53 and 59 Squadrons.  On 12 November it moved to Maison Givord, Place de la Republique, Poix and then on 28 January 1940 to Chateau du Courcelles, remaining there until at least 4 May 1940 but returned to Poix by 10 May when it was at Vitry.  Up to 18 May it had been a nucleus but brought up to establishment and the next day moved to first Abbeville and then to Creus Forest but on 20 May was in Boulogne awaiting shipment back to the UK.  Crossing the Channel that night it arrived at Andover on 21 May 1940, moving to Eastchurch on 31 May and then to Grangemouth on 9 June, where it disbanded on 14 July 1940.

It again reformed on 21 May 1941 at Gatcombe Park. Brinscombe, near Minchinhampton as No 52 (Maintenance) Wing (Southern) in No 41 Group to take control of the MUs in the Southern region, initially controlling Nos 5, 6, 8, 10, 15, 19, 20, 33, 38, 39 MUs and ATA White Waltham.  On 29-30 August 1941 it moved to Dowdeswell Court, Dowdeswell, Cheltenham and disbanded on 21 November 1942.


53rd/No 53 Wing

It was formed at Stede Court, Harrietsham on 8 February 1918 as 53rd (Home Defence) Wing in 6th Brigade, initially controlling Nos 50, 112, 143 Squadrons and disbanded on 13 June 1919.

It reformed at No 81 Weyhill Road, Andover on 24 March 1941 as No 53 (Maintenance) Group in No 41 Group to control the packing sections at Nos 47, 52, 76, 82, 215 and 222 MUs and also Nos 1, 2 and 3 Packed Aircraft Transit Pools and disbanded on 1 January 1946.


54th/No 54 Wing

It was formed at Clairmarais on 6 March 1918 as 54th (Night) Wing, GHQ.  By 7 March it had moved to Upen D'Aval, to Mondicourt by 11 April and to St Andre-aux-Bois on 3 Jun 1918.  On 18 June it was placed under 10th Brigade and by 23 June was at Lambus, where the following day it was transferred to 9th Brigade, returning to the direct control of GHQ on 13 July.  It moved again on 30 November 1918 to Caron, then to No 1 Kaiser Strasse, Bad Godesberg on 29 April 1919, where it disbanded on 8 May 1919.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 
Squadron Dates
No 58 Mar 1918 - Nov 1918, Mar 1919 - Apr 1919
No 62 Jul 1918 - Aug 1918, May 1919
No 83 Mar 1918 - Nov 1918
No 101 Mar 1918 - Jul 1918, Nov 1918
No 102 Mar 1918, Nov 1918
No 148 Apr 1918 - Jun 1918, Dec 1918 - Jan 1919
No 149 Nov 1918
No 151 Jun 1918 - Nov 1918
No 152 Nov 1918
No 207 Jun 1918 - Dec 1918
No 214 Oct 1918 - Apr 1919
No 215 Jul 1918 - Aug 1918
'I', FIt Aug 1918

It reformed at HQ Maintenance Command, Andover on 25 May 1942 as No 54 (Maintenance) Wing to administer all RAF MT Companies moving to "Northways", College Crescent, Swiss Cottage, London NW6 on  19 July 1942, then on 19 September 1944 to The New Municipal Buildings, Derby and finally on 4 February 1945 to Egginton Hall, Eggington, Derby, where it disbanded on 9 October 1946.


55th/No 55 Wing

It was formed at Parkgate, Dublin on 5 May 1918 as 55th (Training) Wing in No 5 Area initially with No 19 Training Squadron and Nos 105, 106 Squadrons and later No 25 TDS, as well as an Aircraft Repair Section at Baldonnel.  On 19 June it moved to  Merrion Square, Dublin, being placed under No 11 (Irish) Group on 22 August.  By December 1918 it was at Tassaggart House, Saggart, moving to Tallaght aerodrome in February 1919, where it disbanded on 25 September 1919.

It reformed at New Municipal Buildings, Derby on 1 August 1942 as No 55 (Barrack, Clothing) Wing to control A. E. H. S and T MUs (later Nos  16, 25, 61, 66, 72, 89, 99, 203, 204, 207, 216, 221, 227, 236, 241 and 262 MUs).  It was redesignated No 55 (Maintenance) Wing on 9 September 1944 in No 40 Group, moving to Bramcote on 15 January 1946.  On 15 October 1946 it took over, from the disbanding No 56 Wing, Nos 14, 16, 35, 49, 61, 62, 66, 69, 90, 241, 250, 253, 255, 256, 257, 260, 261, 266, 268 and 276 MUs but transferred Nos 25, 72, 216, 236, 258, 259 and 262 MUs to No 57 Wing.  It disbanded on 15 January 1947.


56th/No 56 Wing

It was formed at Whitehall, Chingford in August 1918 as 56th (Training) Wing to control units at Chingford, Fairlop and London Colney, disbanding on 15 May 1919.

It reformed at Annan on 22 July 1944 as No 56 (Maintenance) Wing to control Nos 14, 17, 35, 62, 68, 69, 79, 87, 205, 209, 217, 220, 230 and 239 MUs, moving to Warton on 15 May 1946, where it disbanded on 15 October 1946, its MUs being transferred to Nos 55 and 57 Wings.


57th/No 57 Wing

This was formed at Manston in May 1918 as 57th (Training) Wing and disbanded on 3 July 1918.

It reformed at Milton House, Milton on 2 July 1944 as No 57 (Maintenance) Wing in No 40 Group and following a re-organisation of the Group on 6 November, it became responsible for Nos 3, 7, 70, 73, 74, 208, 210, 211. 212, 214, 225, 232 and 238 MUs.  It moved to Brashfield House, Bicester on 21 March 1946 and disbanded on 15 January 1947.


58th/No 58 Wing

This was formed at Eastchurch on 1 April 1918 as 58th (Training) Wing to control units at Eastchurch, Leysdown and Joyce Green.  By November 1918 it had been placed under No 1 Group and disbanded on 21 December 1918.


59th/No 59 Wing

This was formed at Cranwell on 27 Jul 1918 to control units at Cranwell and Scopwick, with an Aircraft Repair Section at Cranwell.  By December 1918 it had been placed under No 12 Group and disbanded on 24 June 1919.

Officers Commanding

20 Nov 1918           Lt Col W S Douglas

 1 May 1919            Lt Col C F A Portal


60th/No 60 Wing

It was formed at 3 Palmeira Square, Hove, Sussex on 22 July 1918 as 60th (Training) Wing to control units at Eastbourne, Tangmere, Dover and Shoreham and disbanded on 14 September 1918

It was planned as part of the Air Component, BEF in Apr 1939 to control Nos 1, 73, 85 and 87 Squadrons but was not actually reformed until 30 August 1939 as No 60 (Fighter) Wing at Debden under Air Ministry control to provide fighter protection for the BEF, still with Nos 1, 73. 85 and 87 Squadrons as well as three mobile RDF stations and a Wireless Intelligence Screen.   On 4 September it moved to Southampton, from where it sailed to Le Havre onboard the SS Isle of Guernsey.  After disembarking it moved to Amiens and established itself at the Château d'AIIonviIIe, Allonville village on 9 September, being placed under the control of HQ RAF Component, Field Force on 21 September.  On 10 October Nos 1 and 73 Squadron were transferred to the AASF and by 15 October it had set up an Advanced HQ at Nivelles.  5 November saw Nos 85 and 87 Squadrons move to Seclin ond on 13 December Nos 607 and 615 Squadrons joined the Wing at Vitry-en-Artois.  On 14 January 1940 it moved to Achicourt but was redesignated No 14 Fighter Group on 20 January 1940.

It reformed at Seclin on 20 January 1940 in No 14 Group as No 60 (Fighter) Wing from a detachment of No 60 Wing to control Nos 85 and 87 Squadrons and the Emergency Refuelling Unit, but following the German breakthrough it returned to the UK, arriving at Debden on 20 May 1940, where it disbanded on 31 May 1940.


61st/No 61 Wing

It was formed at St.Pol on 1 April 1918 from No 1 Wing RNAS as 61st (Naval Wing) Wing in Dover-Dunkirk Command.  By August it had been placed under No 5 Group and disbanded on 13 November 1918, by which time it controlled Nos 202, 204, 210, 213. 217 and 218 Squadrons.

Officers Commanding

 1 Apr 1918                Lt Col P F M Fellowes

It reformed at Hendon on 23 September 1939 as No 61 Fighter Wing Servicing Unit, moving toHartlebury on 30 September.  On 1 October it was in transit to France, arriving at St Nazaire on 4 October, taking control of Nos 607 and 615 Squadrons.  It than made a number of moves to Savenay on 7 October, Norrent-Fontes on 10 October, Auchy-au-Bois on 20 October, Merville on 4 November, Vitry-en-Artois on 13 December and finally to Achicourt in January 1940, where it disbanded 20 January.  However, it was immediately reformed as No 61 Fighter Wing under No 14 Group, still with Nos 607 and 615 Squadrons and by 4 May 1940 was at Abbeville, but following the German breakthrough it returned to the UK sometime in May and disbanded at Kenley on 31 May 1940.


62nd/No 62 Wing

This was formed at Mudros on 1 April 1918 from part of No 2 Wing RNAS as 62nd (Naval) Wing in Aegean Group (later No 15 (Aegean) Group)  By August 1919 it had moved to Petrovsk and disbanded on 1 October 1919 having controlled Nos 220, 221, 222. 223 and 226 Squadrons.

Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1918            Lt Col F W Bowhill

It reformed at Hendon on 17 October 1939 as No 62 Fighter Servicing Wing Unit for service in France as part of the Air Component, BEF. On 25 October it was in transit to France, arriving at Rouen/Boos on 28 October.  It had been intended to control Nos 46 and 501 Squadrons, but these were not sent to France at that time and moved to St Hilaire-le-Grand on 25 March 1940.  On 1 April it moved to Auberive-sur-Suippe, where it was redesignated No 62 Wing Servicing Unit on 29 April 1940 and disbanded 31 May 1940 on being redesignated No 20(62) Wing Servicing Unit.


63rd/No 63 Wing

It was formed at Mudros on 1 April 1918 from part of No 2 Wing RNAS as 63rd (Naval) Wing in Aegean Group (later No 15 (Aegean) Group) and disbanded on 21 May 1919, having controlled Nos 144, 222. 226. 264 and 266 Squadrons).

It reformed at Uxbridge on 20 February 1940 as No 63 Fighter Wing Servicing Unit for service with the Air Component, BEF in France, but was redesignated No 63 Wing Servicing Unit on 29 April and disbanded at Halton on 31 May 1940.


64th/No 64 Wing

This was formed at Frontier Aerodrome, Bray Dunes on 1 April 1918 from 4th Wing RNAS as 64th (Naval) Wing in 7th Brigade.  Initially comprising Nos 204, 209 on 210 Squadrons, it moved to Maidstone and Netheravon on 22 April in 5th Group, now with Nos 207 and 215 Squadrons and disbanded at Eastchurch on 15 May 1918.

It reformed at Alexandria, Egypt on 6 June 1918 as 64th (Egypt) Wing from the Port Said and Alexandria seaplane stations  and disbanded on 15 September 1919.

It reformed at Henlow on 12 May 1940 as No 64 Wing Servicing Unit, probably to control two fighter squadrons in France, but on 16 June moved to Guernsey Airport in the Channel Islands to service the Hurricanes of Nos 17 and 501 Squadrons.  It returned to the UK via Southampton, arriving at Hooton Park on 20 June 1940, then to Henlow on 21 June before going to Aldergrove on 8 July.  Here it joined No 61 Group but was redesignated No 22 Wing Servicing Unit on 18 July 1940.


65th/No 65 Wing

This was formed at Malo-les-Bains on 1 April 1918 from No 5 Wing RNAS as 65th (Naval) Wing in 7th Brigade initially comprising Nos 211, 214 and 215 Squadrons.  In June it moved to Petite Synthe, being transferred to 10th Brigade on 18 June.  It was back at Malo-les-Bains in October and by 11 November was at Heule in 2nd Brigade.  It was reduced to cadre on 6 February 1919 and disbanded on 1 March 1919.

Officers Commanding

xx Dec 1918                  Lt Col E W Norton

3-7 Dec 1918                Maj H V Champion de Crespigny (Temp)

18-28 Dec 1918            Maj H V Champion de Crespigny (Temp)

31 Jan 1919                   Maj H V Champion de Crespigny

It reformed as No 65 Wing Servicing Unit at Henlow on 10 June 1940 from 'M' Servicing Section and disbanded on 24 June 1940.


66th/No 66 Wing

This was formed at Otranto on 1 April 1918 out of 6th Wing RNAS as 66th (Naval) Wing, where it remained until at least October 1918, in Adriatic Group (became No 6 (Adriatic) Group by 27 September 1918)  It was initially composed of Nos 223, 224, and 225 Squadrons on on 20 December1918 it moved to Taranto, where it absorbed No 6 Group and disbanded on 15 August 1919.

Officers Commanding

xx xxx xxxx            Lt Col D A Oliver

No 66 Wing Servicing Unit was formed on 10 Jun 1940 by redesignating Z' Servicing Section but its fate unknown.


67th/No 67 Wing

This was formed at Taranto on 1 April 1918 out of 6th Wing RNAS as 67th (Naval) Wing in Adriatic Group (became No 6 (Adriatic) Group by 27 September 1918) comprising Nos 226, 227 and 271 Squadrons and disbanded into 66th Wing on 6 December 1918.

Officers Commanding

 1 Apr 1918            Lt Col R P Ross

It was reformed at Hendon on 6 November 1939 as No 67 Fighter Wing Servicing Unit, it then moved to France to join the Air Component, British Expeditionary Force, making a number of moves over the next few months, see table below.  On 18 June 1940 it was in transit to the UK, arriving at Andover the following day, before moving on to Tangmere on 1 July, where it disbanded 24 July 1940 with its squadrons being dispersed into home stations (No 1 to Northolt, No 17 to Debden, No 73 to Church Fenton, No 242 to Coltishall and No 501 to Croydon).

Date Main HQ
11 Nov 1939 Neuville
28 Nov 1939 Bussy-la-Cote
13 Apr 1940 Juvincourt
20 Apr 1940 Bussy-la-Cote
10 May 1940 Guignicourt
15 May 1940 Cormicy
16 May 1940 Fagnieres
19 May 1940 Saron-sur-Aube
4 Jun 1940 Laigne-sur-Belin
15 Jun 1940 Nantes

68th/No 68 Wing

This was formed at The Gables, Seaton Carew on 11 July 1918 as 68th (Operations) Wing in 18th Group with an Aircraft Repair Section being formed at Seaton Carew the same day.  It disbanded on 1 August 1919, by which time it controlled Nos 246, 252, 256 and 274 Squadrons and the stations at Ashington. New Haggerston, Redcar, Sea Houses, Seaton Carew and Tynemouth.

Officers Commanding

18 Dec 1918            Lt Col C E H Rathborne


69th/No 69 Wing

This was formed at  Ismailia on 21 July 1918 as 69th (Training) Wing in Training Brigade (Middle East) initially with Nos 17 and 19 TDS and No 145 Squadron.  In October 1918 it moved to El Rimal with half an Aircraft Repair Section at Ismailia and another at El Rimal.  At some point it must have moved to Abu Sueir as it returned to El Rimal in June 1919 as a cadre and disbanded on 25 July 1919.

It reformed at Château Grubbe, Everberg, Brussels on 15 March 1945 on the disbandment of No 25 Section as No 69 (Signals) Wing in No 85 Group 2nd TAF and disbanded on 20 October 1945.


70th/No 70 Wing

This was formed at Felixstowe on 20 August 1918 as 70th (Operations) Wing in 4th Group.  It controlled Nos 230, 231, 232, 247, 259 and 261 Squadrons at Felixstowe and the School for Anti-Submarine Patrol Observers at Aldeburgh and disbanded ob 1 May 1919.

In April 1939 it was allocated to the Air Component BEF with Nos 18 and 57 Squadrons but didn't become active until 1 September 1939 as No 70 (Bomber) Wing at Upper Heyford.  On 22 September 1939 the Main party left Southampton for Cherbourg onboard the SS Maid of Orleans, disembarking the following day.  It arrived and established itself at Tilloloy on 24 September, with the Air Party (Nos 18 and 57 Squadrons) arriving in France on 30 September.  On 18 October it moved to Rosieres-en-Santerre, from where an Advanced HQ was detached to Seclin to take part in ACAB Communication Exercises from 16 November to 6 January 1940.  As the result of a reorganisation it was allocated to duties with Army GHQ on 23 February and following the German breakthrough was again on the move, to Poix on 17 May, to Crecy on 19 May the following day it embarked at Boulogne in Mona's Queen, arriving in Dover, then proceeding to Tidworth.  On 21 May 1940 it moved to Wyton where it took over No 98 Squadron on 16 June, then moved to Gatwick on 28 June, where it was redesignated SHQ Gatwick in No 22 Group on 1 July 1940.

It reformed at Bunchrew House, near Inverness on 17 February 1941 from No 1 Radio Servicing Section as No 70 (Signals) Wing  in No 60 Group initially with responsibility for ground radar stations from the Shetlands to the Moray Firth but on 15 May 1944 its area of responsibility was extended to the whole of Scotland when No 72 Wing disbanded.  On 25 August 1945 it moved to Tealing and disbanded on 31 May 1946.

It reformed again on 22 August 1951 as No 70 (Signals) Wing at Medmenham in No 90 Group and disbanded on 1 August 1953.


71st/No 71 Wing

This was formed at Penzance on 8 August 1918 as 71st (Operations) Wing in 9th Group, controlling Nos 234, 235, 236, 250 and 260 Squadrons as well as the stations at Mullion, Newlyn, Padstow, Tresco and Westward Ho!, disbanding on 15 May 1919.

It reformed at Abingdon on 24 August 1939 as No 71 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Abingdon for the First Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Forceand comprised Nos 15 and 40 Squadrons with Battles.  The Air Party moved to Betheniville on 2 September with No 15 Squadron moving to the satellite at Condé-Vraux on 12 September and the following day the Main party arrived from Southampton.  On 1 December No 40 Squadron was transferred to No 2 Group in UK but between 2-4 December No 139 Squadron arrived to replace it from the UK.  The Wing moved to Château Fagnieres. near Chalons on 6 February 1940, with a  re-organisation of wings taking place at the same time, resulting in it taking over Vraux (No 114 Squadron), Ecury (No 150 Squadron, from No 74 Wing), Villeneuve (No 105 Squadron. from No 76 Wing on 10 February) and Plivot (No 103 Squadron, from No 74 Wing).  On 10 February Nos 103, 139 Squadrons were transferred to No 75 Wing and following the German invasion the Wing absorbed by other units on 16 May 1940, probably losing its squadrons.  It proceeded to Nantes on 19 May, taking over Nos 105 and 218 Squadrons 23 May, then moved to the Marseilles area on 3 June 1940, where it presumably embarked for a return to the UK, eventually arriving at Horsham St Faith, where it disbanded on 24 June 1940.

It was reformed at Bucksburn House, Bucksburn, Aberdeenshire on 17 February 1941 by redesignating No 3 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 71 (Signals) Wing taking over responsibility for ground radar stations from the Firth of Forth to the Moray Firth.  On 17 April it took over the radar stations in the Shetlands from No 70 Wing: and moved to Culter on 6 June 1942, where it disbanded on 30 June 1943.


72nd/No 72 Wing

It was formed at Cattewater on 8 August 1918 as 72nd (Operations) Wing in 9th Group, controlling Nos 237, 238, 239 and 254 Squadrons as well as the stations at Cattewater, Prawle Point and Torquay, disbanding at Penzance on 15 May 1919.

It reformed at Harwell on 23 August 1939 as No 72 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Harwell as part of the First Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force, comprising Nos 105 and 226 Squadrons with Battles.  On 2 September it moved to Reims-Champagne but disbanded on 6 February 1940 with Nos 105 and 226 Squadrons being transferred to No 76 Wing.

It was again reformed on 17 February 1941 at Hallington Hall from No 3 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 72 (Signals) Wing, being initially responsible for ground radar stations from the Tees to the Fifth of Forth.  On 30/31 March it moved to Dollarbeg House, Dollar, Clackmannanshire, later transferring its stations in northern England to No 73 Wing, leaving it to just provide cover to southern Scotland.  With the disbandment of No 79 Wing, it took over stations in Northern Ireland on 30 June 1943 and disbanded on 15 May 1944.

It reformed at Leighton Buzzard on 15 May 1944 in No 60 Group with responsibility for AMESs and Signals Units due to operate on the Continent.  It moved to Cardington on 1 September, to Old Sarum (for water-proofing of vehicles) on 2 September, to Fareham in the marshalling area on 4 September, then on to Ryde, from where it sailed to France, arriving at Château Mathieu, North of Caen on 6 September.  On 27 September it moved to Ecole Normale, Mons, Belgium with its Rear HQ closing on 1 October.  Detachment (South) was set up at Nancy on 1 March 1945 and by 12 March 1945 HQ Northern Detachment had been established Eindhoven before moving to Bonn on 2 April, then on 30 April to Town Barracks, Wildehasuer Strasse, Delmenhorst.  An Advance HQ was established at Johanniter Krankhaus, Schtelmanstarasse, Bonn on 1 May 1945, with the Southern Detachment moving to Stein, becoming operational on 12 May and by 1 August was at 15 Rue de Buthognement, Nancy with the North Detachment being at Brauen, Kamperstrasse, Delmenhorst.  On 18 October the Wing HQ was in Bonn, being transferred from No 85 Group to No 2 Group on 1 November and disbanded on 22 September 1946.


73rd/No 73 Wing

It was formed at Great Yarmouth on 20 August 1918 as 73rd (Operations) Wing in 4th Group, controlling Nos 212, 228 and 229 Squadrons as well as the station at Yarmouth and disbanded on 1 May 1919.

It reformed at "The Towers", Barkston Ash, near Church Fenton on 17 February 1941 from No 4 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 73 (Signals) Wing, initially responsible for ground radar stations from the Tees to the Wash.  On 10 May 1941 it moved to Easthorpe Hall, near Malton, North Riding of Yorkshire and on  18 September 1944 to Boston Spa, near Wetherby.  By the end of the war it controlled stations in the area from the Scottish border to a line stretching roughly from South Wales to Suffolk and disbanded on 1 November 1946, being replaced by Northern Signals Area HQ.


74th/No 74 Wing

It was formed at Calshot on 8 August 1918 as 74th (Operations) Wing in No 10 Group to control units at Calshot and disbanded on 15 May 1919.

It reformed at Benson on 24 August 1939 as No 74 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Benson to be part of the First Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force, comprising Nos 103 and 150 Squadrons with Battles.  On 2 September it moved to Challerange with No 150 Squadron relocating to the satellite at Ecury-sur-Coole on 11/12 September.  The Wing HQ moved to Tours-sur-Marne on 23 November, but disbanded on 10 February 1940 with its squadrons being transferred to No 71 Wing.

It reformed at Leighton House, Trumpington, Cambridge on 17 February 1941 from No 5 Radio Servicing Section at Duxford in No 60 Group as No 74 (Signals) Wing.  It was initially responsible for ground radar stations in the area from the Wash to the Thames with the Admin Section moving to 'Brooklands', Brookland Avenue, Cambridge on 18 May.  The Wing disbanded on 30 June 1943 as the result of a re-organisation of No 60 Group wings, its northern stations being transferred to No 73 Wing and its southern stations to No 75 Wing.


75th/No 75 Wing

This was formed at Warsash on 8 August 1918 as No 75 (Operations) Wing in No 10 Group, controlling Nos 241, 242, 243 and 253 Squadrons as well as the stations at Bembridge. Cherbourg, Newhaven and  Portland, disbanding on  15 May 1919.

It was reformed at Boscombe Down on 24 August 1939 as No 75 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Boscombe Down as part of the First Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force, comprising Nos 88 and 218 Squadrons with Battles.  It moved to Auberive-sur-Suippe on 2 September with No 88 Squadron moving to a satellite at Mourmelon-le-Grand on 12 September.  On 5 October it was at St Hilaire-le-Grand, taking over No 139 Squadron on 10 February 1940 and No 103 Squadron on 15 February, No 139 Squadron being transferred to No 71 Wing, the same day.  It took over No 150 Squadron on 16 May and the following day, as a result of the German breakthrough it began a series of moves beginning with a move to Mery-sur-Seine, to Château Rocheux, near Freteval on 3 June, then to Château Bougon, Nantes on 14 June, by which time it controlled Nos 88, 103. 142 and 150 Squadrons.  However, on 15 June, No 103 Squadron moved to Honington and on 16 June, the Wing HQ embarked in SS Vienna at Brest, arriving at Plymouth on 17 June.   After disembarking it proceeded to Scampton on 18 June, then to Sydenham 27 June, with Nos 88 and 226 Squadrons, being redesignated SHQ Belfast on 30 June 1940.

It reformed at Sydenham on 10 February 1941 by redesignating SHQ Belfast as No 75 (Bomber) Wing, comprising Nos 88 and 226 Squadrons with Battles but was redesignated No 31 Wing on 15 April 1941, possibly as another 75 Wing had also formed in England and week after this one.

It reformed again on 17 February 1941 at "Heathfield", Keston, Kent  by redesignating No 6 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 75 (Signals) Wing.  It was initially responsible for ground radar stations in the area from the Thames to the Isle of Wight.  On 11 August 1944 it moved to Broadstairs, Kent, then on 1 December 1945 to RAF Detling, where it disbanded into No 90 Group on 1 November 1946.


76th/No 76 Wing

This was formed at Felixstowe on 20 August 1918 as 76th (Operations) Wing in 4th Group, controlling Nos 232, 247, 259 and 261 Squadrons at Felixstowe and disbanded into 70th Wing on 1 December 1918.

It reformed at Benson on 24 August 1939 as No 76 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Bicester as part of the First Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force, comprising Nos 12 and 142 Squadrons with Battles.  On 2 September it moved to Berry-au-Bac, with No 142 Squadron going to the satellite at Plivot Pernay on 8 September.  It moved again on 27 October to Juvincourt, then to Neufchatel on 5 February 1940, taking over Nos 105 and 226 Squadron on 6 February but on 10 February, No 105 Squadron was transferred to No 71 Wing.  In May it moved to Faux-Villecerf, then on 7 June to Montoire, from where it proceeded back to the UK, arriving at Feltwell later that month and it disbanded on 24 June 1940.

It reformed at "Hill End", Henbury, near Bristol  on 17 February 1941 by redesignating No 7 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 76 (Signals) Wing.  It was responsible for ground radar stations in the area from the Isle of Wight to South Wales and disbanded on 30 June 1943.


77th/No 77 Wing

This was formed at Milford Haven on 8 August 1918 as No 77 (Operations) Wing in 14th Group, controlling Nos 244, 245 and 255 Squadrons as well as the stations at Bangor, Fishguard. Pembroke and disbanded on 1 November 1918.

It reformed at No 48 Ullet Road, Sefton Park, Liverpool on 17 February 1941 by redesignating No 8 Radio Servicing Section in No 60 Group as No 77 (Signals) Wing, later moving to Beaconsfield', Woolton, Liverpool.  It was responsible for ground radar stations in the area from North Wales to the Clyde and disbanded on 15 May 1944.


No 78 Wing

It was formed at Dundee on 8 August 1918 as No 78 (Operations) Wing in 22nd Group, controlling Nos 249 and 257 Squadrons, No 1 Torpedo Training Squadron and Grand Fleet School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery as well as the stations at Dundee, East Fortune and Leuchars, it disbanded 19 September 1918.

It reformed at 'Hill End", Henbury, near Bristol on 25 May 1941 in No 60 Group as No 78 (Signals) Wing, initially attached to No 76 Wing.  It was responsible for ground radar stations in the Plymouth area, moving to Holne Park Hotel, near Aashburton, Newton Abbott, Devon on 17 July and disbanded on 31 July 1946.


No 79 Wing

This was formed at Hornsea on 26 August 1918 as No 79 (Operations) Wing in 18th Group, controlling Nos 248 and 251 Squadrons as well as the station at Hornsea and disbanded on 1 August 1919.

It reformed as Benson on 22 August 1939 as No 79 (Bomber) Wing from SHQ Watton as part of the 2nd Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force to control Nos 21 and 82 Squadrons with Blenheims but fate is unknown, although the 2nd Echelon was never deployed to France.

It reformed at Killycomain House, Portadown, Northern Ireland on 27 September 1941 in No 60 Group as No 79 (Signals) Wing, being responsible for ground radar stations in Northern Ireland and disbanded on 30 June 1943 with its stations being transferred to No 72 Wing.


No 80 Wing

This was formed at Reclinghem on 1 July 1918 as 80th (Army) Wing in 10th Brigade and by 9 July was at Enguinegatte to at least 18 September.  By 15 November it was at Wattignies and disbanded on 1 Mar 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 24 Jan 1918 - Dec 1918
No 46 Jul 1918 - Aug 1918
No 54 Oct 1918 - Feb 1919
No 85 Nov 1918 - Mar 1919
No 88 Jun 1918 - Nov 1918
No 92 Jul 1918 - Sep 1918
No 103 Jul 1918 - Mar 1919
2nd AFC Jul 1918 - Dec 1918
4th AFC Jul 1918 - Nov 1918

It reformed at Aldenham Lodge Hotel, Radlett on 7 October 1940 in No 26 Group (later No 60 Group) as No 80 (Signals) Wing to undertake radio/radar intelligence and radio counter measures work and controlled the Meacon stations.  With the formation of No 100 Group it was transferred to the new organisation on 8 November 1943.  On 18 September 1944 one section of Advanced HQ was in the UK whilst another section moved to the Brussels area, and by 31 January 1945 this was at Wenduyne, near Blankenberghe before moving to Chateau Briffault, Schepdaal on 3 February.  It returned Wenduyne on 11 May but on 14 May it returned to the UK at Swanton Morley, leaving a Rear Party on the Continent:, which arrived at its port of embarkation on 7-8 June.  On 22 August the Radlett element moved to Swanton Morley and disbanded on 24 September 1945.

It reformed at Bentley Priory, Stanmore on 1 August 1953 in Fighter Command to administer various Signals Units and disbanded 15 March 1957.


81st/No 81 Wing

This was formed at Ruisseauville on 3 June 1918 as 81st (Corps) Wing in 9th Brigade, comprising Nos 25, 62 and 98 Squadrons and by 8 June was at Chateau Wamlin but disbanded on 21 June 1918.

It reformed at Serny on 1 July 1918 as 81st (Corps) Wing in 10th Brigade, moving to Enguinegatte on 15 July to at least 5 August but by 15 November was at Sainghin and disbanded on 1 March 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 2 Nov 1918
No 4 Nov 1918
No 5 Sep 1918 - Nov 1918
No 10 Dec 1918 - Feb 1919
No 21 Jul 1918 - Nov 1918
No 42 Jul 1918 - Nov 1918
No 98 Jun 1918
'P' Flt Jun 1918

Officers Commanding

xx Nov 1918            Lt Col A G R Garrod

It reformed at West Raynham in August 1939 as No 81 (Bomber) Wing as part of the 2nd Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force, to control Nos 90 and 101 Squadrons with Blenheims but disbanded around 18 September.

It reformed at Municipal Homes, Tallow Hill, Worcester on 2 June 1941 as No 81 (Signals) Wing in No 26 Group, moving to Birdlip on 5 September and then to Great Witcombe on 27 March 1943, where it disbanded on 30 Apr 1946.


82nd/No 82 Wing

This was formed in the Dunkerque area on 3 June 1918 as 82nd Wing in 5th Group to reinforce 61st Wing.  By August it was at Hames-Boucres and on 29 October was transferred to 9th Brigade but was at Carvin by 15 November.  On 27 November it was transferred to 8th Brigade, moving to Serny on 30 November, where it disbanded on 1 March 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 38 Jun 1918 - Feb 1919
No 55 Jan 1919
No 58 Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
No 83 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
No 98 Jun 1918
No 100 Feb 1919
No 101 Jan 1919
No 102 Dec 1918 - Jan 1919
No 148 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
No 151 Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 152 Oct 1918 - Jan 1919
No 214 Jun 1918 - Nov 1918
No 218 Jul 1918 - Oct 1918
'I' Flt Jan 1919

It reformed at Wyton in  August 1939 as No 82 (Bomber) Wing as part of the 2nd Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force to control Nos 114 and 139 Squadrons with Blenheims but its fate is unknown, although the 2nd Echelon was never deployed to France.

It later reformed but when and where is unknown at present but it disbanded in No 2 Group on 28 November 1944.


83rd/No 83 Wing

This was formed at Blandford, Dorset on 13 June 1918 as 83rd Wing, moving to Bainville-sur-Madon on 3 July in 8th Brigade.  It moved again, to Xaffevillers on 12 August, still in 8th Brigade, to Maresquel on 18 November, to Lambus on 1 December.  On 10 February 1919 it returned to the UK as a cadre and disbanded at Chingford on 15 February 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 97 Aug 1918 - Mar 1919
No 100 Jul 1918 - Feb 1919
No 115 Aug 1918 - Mar 1919
No 215 Aug 1918 - Feb 1919
No 216 Jul 1918 - Jul 1919

It reformed at Wattisham in August 1939 as No 83 (Bomber) Wing in 2nd Echelon, Advanced Air Striking Force at WATTISHAM with Nos 107 and 110 Squadrons with Blenheims but its fate is unknown, although the 2nd Echelon was never deployed to France.

It reformed at Swanage on 19 August 1942 as No 83 (Signals) Wing and disbanded on 25 November 1944.


84th/No 84 Wing

This was formed at Vendome on 12 October 1918 by redesignating RAF Station Vendôme as 84th (Training) Wing to control Nos 205 and 212 TDS.  On 7 May 1919 it was placed directly under Rear HQ RAF and disbanded on 3 November 1919.

It reformed at Barkway, near Royston, Hertfordshire on 1 May 1943 as No 84 (Signals) Wing in No 60 Group to control UK ground navigation aids (i.e. ground stations for Gee, Gee-H and Oboe).  It disbanded on 1 September 1944 on being redesignated No 60 Group Radar Navigational Aids Section, Cambridge.


No 85 Wing

This was formed at Blandford, Dorset on 15 September 1918 as 85th (Night) Wing in 8th Brigade.  Despite a substantial draft of airmen being earmarked for 85th Wing, which left Blandford on 20 September, there is no evidence that they actually arrived in France, however the Wing left for Rouen on 22 November, disbanding there on or about 25 November 1918.

It reformed at Ghent on 1 July 1946 by redesignating No 85 Group in BAFO, moving to Blankenese on 3 December, then to Utersen on 8 September 1947, where it reverted to No 85 Group on 1 November 1948.


86th/No 86 Wing

This was formed at Bircham Newton on 29 September 1918 as 86th (Night) Wing in 27th Group to carry out bombing raids on Berlin, comprising Nos 166, 167 and 274 Squadrons, equipped with Handley Page V/1500s but the war ended before any raids could be undertaken and it disbanded on 10 December 1918.

It reformed at Hendon on 13 December 1918 as 86th (Communications) Wing to carry out communications work with the Paris Peace Delegation.  It initially consisted of just No 1 Communication Squadron but later added No 2 Communications Squadron and the Air Council Inspection Squadron.  On 17 April 1919 it moved to Kenley, where it disbanded on 28 October 1919.

It reformed aboard the MV Dumana on 5 May 1939 from No 1 (GR) Wing as No 86 (General Reconnaissance) Wing for Mediterranean Command.  On 10 May 1939 it sailed from London for Malta, where it was to take over control of Nos 202 and 228 Squadrons, arriving in Malta on 19 May, where the FAA units disembarked and then proceeded to Alexandria where it arrived on 2 June 1939, and operated from the ship until disembarking at Aboukir on 10 October but it re-embarked on 12 October.  No 802 Squadron embarked on 27 November and it returned to Malta arriving at Marsaxlokk on 2 December, No 802 Squadron disembarking to Hal Far before proceeding to Grand Harbour on 4 December.  It sailed again on 10 December, arriving in Gibraltar on 14 December, where it was renumbered as No 101 (GR) Wing on 16 February 1940.


87th/No 87 Wing

This was formed at Bircham Newton on 29 August 1918 as 87th (Night) Wing in 27th Group for service overseas.  On 16 September it took over No 166 Squadron and was intended to go to Prague but disbanded on 10 December 1918.

By 31 August 1944 a new No 87 Wing was controlled by No 24 Sector, but no other details available.

It reformed at Chateau la Jonchere, Bougival, near Paris on 15 July 1946 by redesignating No 87 Group as No 87 (Transport) Wing but it disbanded into the RAF Delegation (France) on 26 August 1946.


88th/No 88 Wing

This was formed at Blandford in September 1918 as 88th (Day) Wing in 8th Brigade with the first draft leaving the UK on 30 September.  On 19 October it was at Bettoncourt and assumed control of Nos 45 and 110 Squadrons from 41st Wing on 28 October but passed them back to 41st Wing on 14 Novemer.  It moved to Rouen on 22 November 1918, where it disbanded on or about 25 November 1918.

It reformed at Forres School, Swanage on 6 August 1942 in No 60 Group on a mobile basis for service overseas but the ORB ends on 18 November 1942, so presumably disbanded.

By 31 August 1944 a new No 87 Wing was controlled by No 24 Sector, but no other details available.


89th/No 89 Wing

It was mobilised at Sandown Park on 22 October 1918 as 90th (Army) Wing in 5th Brigade, moving to France on 29 October and by November was at Honnechy.  On 11 November it moved to Reumont, where it was transferred to 3rd Brigade on 16 November and by 23 November was at Le Hameau.  It was transferred to GOC Reserve Brigade on 17 January 1919 and disbanded on 1 Apr 1919.   The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 1 Nov 1918 - Mar 1919
No 8 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 20 Oct 1918 - Mar 1919
No 23 Nov 1918
No 32 Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 45 Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 92 Nov 1918
No 94 Nov 1918
No 97 Feb 1919
No 101 Nov 1918
No 103 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 110 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 211 Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
No 216 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 218 Oct 1918 - Nov 1918
2nd AFC Jan 1919  - Feb 1919

90th/No 90 Wing

This was formed at 70 Rue Valenciennes, Caudry on 6 Nov 1918 as 90th (Army) Wing in 3rd Brigade, moving to Beauval by 23 November, where it disbanded on 1 March 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 3 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
No 11 Nov 1918
No 45 Jan 1919 - Feb 1919
No 46 Nov 1918
No 57 Nov 1918
No 73 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919
No 94 Dec 1918 - Feb 1919
No 102 Nov 1918 - Dec 1918
No 218 Nov 1918 - Feb 1919

91st/No 91 Wing

This was formed in the UK on 24 October 1918 as 91st (Army) Wing in 1st Brigade, moving to Rieulay on 8 November, then to 49 Rue des Jesuites, Tournai on 19 December, where it was transferred to GHQ to administer the demobilisation of units.  On 17 January 1919 it moved to St Omer before going to Marquise on 15 May, where it was redesignated 91st (Postal) Wing.  It supposedly moved to Goethe Strasse, Marienburg. Cologne as part of Army of the Rhine on 1 October 1919, but is also shown as disbanding on 28 July 1919.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 8 Mar 1919 - May 1919
No 12 Oct 1919
No 13 cadre Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 19 Oct 1918 - Jan 1919
No 32 cadre Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 57 May 1919
No 64 Nov 1918 - Jan 1919
No 84 May 1919
No 98 Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 99 Dec 1918 - Apr 1919
No 100 Feb 1919 - Jun 1919
No 101 Jan 1919
No 102 cadre Mar 1919
No 110 May 1919
No 151 cadre Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 152 cadre Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 203 cadre Jan 1919 - Mar 1919
No 209 Oct 1918 - Jan 1919

No 96 Wing

This was formed at Parliament Buildings, Stormont, Belfast on 1 October 1941 as No 96 Wireless (Observer) Wing from Nos 12, 19 and 21 Wireless Observer Units.  On 17 October it moved to No 381 Holywood Road, Belfast, then on 3 April 1942 to RAF Long Kesh, where it was redesignated No 96 (Wireless) Wing in May, disbanding at Newtownards on 10 May 1944.


No 100 Wing

This was formed in the RAF Depot ship SS Manela at Royal Albert Dock, London on 12 May 1939 as No 100 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 18 Group.  The ship (and Wing HQ) then began a 'cruise' around the UK as shown in the table below: -

Date Location Notes
24 May 1939 arrived at Calshot took control of No 201 Squadron
1 Jun 1939 set sail  
6 Jun 1939 arrived at Longhope  
19 Jun 1939 arrived at Lerwick  
27 Jun 1939 arrived at Garth Voe  
7 Jul 1939 set sail  
10 Jul 1939 arrived at Cowes  
5 Aug 1939 set sail  
8 Aug 1939 arrived at Lerwick  
9 Aug 1939 arrived at Garth Voe took control of locally based Sunderland units (Nos 209 and 210 Squadrons)
27 Oct 1939   took over No 240 Squadron

On 2 January 1940 it was reduced to cadre as the flying boat squadrons were now shore based in the Shetlands but on 7 November the ship moved to Lough Foyle, where it was transferred to No 15 Group on 5 December.   The ship and Wing HQ sailed to the Clyde on 22 March 1941 in preparation for a move to Iceland, where it was to take control of No 204 Squadron (Sunderlands), No 98 Squadron (Battles) and a detachment of No 269 Squadron (Hudsons).  It set sail on 1 April and arrived in Reykjavik on 5 April, before moving to Skerjafiordor on 14 April.  On 17 July it set sail with No 204 Squadron personnel, arriving in Gourack on 21 July, then to Belfast on 26 July 1941, carrying No 209 Squadron and then on to Loch Ewe on 29 July.  It arrived back in Reykjavik on 2 August, sailing again on 9 August to Gourack, where it arrived on 14 August, moving on the following day to Glasgow.  On 17 August the Wing personnel reported to Hooton Park, then moved onto Wilmslow on 2 September, intended for further deployment to West Africa but disbanded on 9 September 1941 instead.


No 101 Wing

This was formed in MV Dumana at Gibraltar on 16 February 1940 by designating No 86 (GR) Wing as No 101 (Naval Co-operation) Wing.  On 3 April it was placed under the control of No 200 Group, setting sail on 18 April and arriving in Malta on 23 April.  It set sail again on 3 May, arriving at Alexandria on 7 May, where it took control of Nos 202 and 230 Squadrons and on 14 March was despatched to Suda Bay to act as a flying boat base disbanding in July 1941.


No 102 Wing

This was formed in SS Batavier II on 14 April 1941 as No 102 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 15 Group at Gourock (replacing the SS Manela as the depot ship for RAF flying boat squadrons in Home waters).  On 16 April 1941 the Wing personnel embarked and the ship sailed, anchoring off Moville, Lough Foyle on 17 April 1941, then moved to Londonderry 25 April, before it returned to its anchorage 1 mile from Moville on 17 May.  The ship moved to Invergordon on 29 July, where it was taken over by No 17 Group on a C&M basis, having never become operational on 30 July and disbanded on 31 January 1942.


No 103 Wing

This was formed at Bushy Park, Teddington, Middlesex on 12 February 1945 as No 103 (Air Disarmament) Wing under Fighter Command to control air disarmament units.  On 19 March training detachments were sent to Kenley and on 1 April the HQ moved to Harrow, Middlesex then to Nos 42/43 Princes Gardens, Kensington, London SW7 on 18 July 1945.  It was transferred to the control of BAFO on 1 September and disbanded on 10 October 1946.


No 104 Wing

This was formed at Benson on 5 February 1945 as No 104 (Photographic Reconnaissance) Wing in No 106 Group, initially to control No 540 Squadron  On 11 March it moved to 5 College de Coulommiers, Coulommiers, now controlling No 540 Squadron and a detachment of No 541 Squadron.  It moved to Mount Farm on 25 September and disbanded on 1 October 1945.

Officers Commanding: -

xx Jul 1945                  Gp Capt A M Smith


No 105 Wing

This was formed at Ayr on 28 February 1943 as No 105 (Combined Operations) Wing in No 26 Group to control No 1441 Flt, Dundonald, the Air Section of Combined Signals School, Troon (HMS Dundonald II), the Air Section of Combined Training Centre, Largs and the Air Section of HQ Ships.  On 17 April it moved to Dankeith House, near Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, with its aircraft being based at Dundonald and disbanded on 15 August 1944.


No 106 Wing

This was formed at Benson on 3 Jul 1943 as No 106 (Photographic Reconnaissance) Wing in No 16 Group to control Nos 540, 541, 542 543 and 544 Squadrons, No 309 Ferry Training and Air Delivery Unit and No 8(C) OTU.  It was redesignated No 106 (PR) Group on 14 April 1944.


No 107 Wing

This was formed at Tempsford on 26 June 1943 as No 107 (Special Duties) Wing to control Nos 138, 161 and 192 Squadrons but disbanded on 7 August 1943.

It reformed at Hendon Hall, Ashley Lane, Hendon on 16 October 1944 as No 107 (Transport) Wing in No 46 Group to control ferrying routes across France.  No 107 Wing (Advance) moved to Paris on 19 November and the Wing HQ moved to the Hotel du Rhin, Place Vendôme, Paris on 1 January 1945.  Its function was absorbed by No 87 Group on 15 July, which took over Nos 93, 103, 121, 126, 137 and 138 Staging Posts and it disbanded on 1 September 1945.


No 108 Wing

This was formed at Old Government House, Karachi on 10 September 1944 as No 108 (Transport) Wing in No 229 Group.  On 15 March 1945 it assumed responsibility for Transport units in No 229 Group area, moving to Oriental Buildings, McLeod Road, Karachi in 6-7 Jul 1945 in No 1 (Indian) Group and disbanded on 8 May 1946.


No 109 Wing

This was formed at Bangalore on 10 September 1944 as No 109 (Transport) Wing in No 229 Group assuming responsibility for Transport units in Nos 222 and No 225 Group areas.  On 13 January 1945 it moved to Nagpur and disbanded on 1 March 1946.


No 110 Wing

This was formed at Fir Tree Farm, Ringway on 1 March 1940 as No 110 (Anti-Aircraft Co-operation) Wing in No 22 Group to control the night and day flying carried out by Nos 5 to 9 AACUs for Army Searchlight and AA Gun schools.  Between March and May it moved to RAF Ringway then on 3 May to Filton.  On 1 December it was transferred to No 70 Group and disbanded on 5 May 1941.

It reformed at Croydon on 3 July 1944 as No 110 (Transport) Wing being placed under No 46 Group on 12 May 1945, when it became responsible for operations on the Croydon-Munich-Vienna route etc.  On 4 February 1946 its operations were transferred to British Overseas Airways Corporation and it disbanded on 15 Feb 1946.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 147 Sep 1944 - Feb 1946
No 167 Apr 1945 - Feb 1946
No 187 Feb 1945 - Sep 1945
No 301 Apr 1945 - Jul 1945

This page was last updated on 28/06/18

         [Top of Page]