Air of Authority  - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Nos 111  - 192 Wings


This list does not include Initial Training Wings, which are listed under Ground Training Units.

No 111 Wing

This was formed at Northolt on 4 September 1944 as No 111 (Transport) Wing under the control of Air Defence of Great Britain to control Staging Posts in Western Europe.  On 16 October it moved to Beitsfount, (Brussels) but by November was at Bradwell Bay.  An Advanced HQ was detached to Suchteln on 5 April 1945 before moving to Buckeburg on 2 June, where it was joined by the Main HQ on 9 July 1945.  By 31 August it was at Bad Eilsen, where it disbanded on 6 April 1946.


No 112 Wing

This was formed at Dorval, near Montreal on 25 March 1943 as No 112 (Transport) Wing in No 45 Group to control ferrying operations over the North Atlantic and disbanded on 8 January 1946.


No 113 Wing

Originally formed as HQ South Atlantic Wing at Nassau in the Bahamas on 15 February 1943 in No 45 Group, it was redesignated No 113 (Transport) Wing on 11 March.  Its task was to control ferrying operations over the South Atlantic until being redesignated No 88 Terminal Staging Post on 3 July 1945.


No 114 Wing

This was formed at Accra on 1 September 1943 as No 114 (Transport) Wing in No 216 Group from No 5 Ferry Control and No 62 Embarkation Unit.  On 23 December it was transferred to AHQ West Africa and disbanded into the AHQ West Africa on 1 September 1945.


No 115 Wing

This was formed at Wadi Seidna on 7 May 1944 as No 115 (Transport) Wing by redesignating No 2 (Middle East) Ferry Contro in No 216 Group, taking over the control of Staging Posts in East Africa.  On 1 June 1944 it moved to Khartoum, then to Shaibah, near Basrah on 24 October 1945 but by 22 November was at Sheikh Othman in Aden, where it disbanded on 10 April 1946.


No 116 Wing

This was originally to have been designated No 116 (Independent) Wing, but when it formed at Hendon Hall Hotel, Ashley Lane, Hendon on 1 January 1944 it was as No 116 (Transport) Wing.  It was tasked with taking over the control of scheduled services to India from No 44 Group.  On 23 July it moved to No 2 Officers Mess, RAF Hendon, where it was redesignated No 47 Group on 1 January 1945.


No 117 Wing

This was formed at 4 Alipore Road, Calcutta on 10 September 1944 as No 117 (Transport) Wing in No 229 Group to control all No 229 Group units within an area east of 84o East and 20o North, becoming operational on 19 February 1945 and disbanded on 28 February 1946.


No 118 Wing

This was formed at Delhi on 10 September 1944 as No 118 (Transport) Wing in No 229 Group, moving to University Avenue, Rangoon on 17 May 1945, becoming operational on 20 May at 149 Victoria Road. Rangoon.   On 30 September it moved to Nos 8, 9 and 11 Leonie Road, Singapore, with a detachment at Batavia and disbanded in No 232 Group on 25 February 1946.


No 119 Wing

This was formed at Habbaniya on 14 February 1944 as No 119 (Transport) Wing in No 216 Group to control the Northern Arabian reinforcement route up to but not including Jiwani, westwards to and including H.3 and all Staging Posts in Iraq and Persia.  However it was redesignated No 151 Wing on 10 March to avoid confusion with No 119 MU which was also in the same area.


No 120 Wing

This was formed at Odiham on 12 November 1945 as No 120 (Transport) (RCAF) Wing to control Nos 435, 436 and 437 squadrons RCAF equipped with Dakotas as well as RCAF Odiham and RCAF Down Ampney, disbanded on 30 June 1946


Airfields/Wings

As a result of lessons learnt in the Middle East and through exercises in the UK, it became obvious that a fully mobile infrastructure would be needed to undertake the proposed invasion of North - West Europe.  The first step taken was to plan for a series of what would be basically mobile stations, comprising two or more operational squadrons, the associated servicing and transport services and the administrative structures.  These units were initially called Airfields, not to be confused with the area on an static aerodrome used for landing and taking off, with a couple of Airfields being controlled by a Wing HQ.  However, just prior to the actual invasion, Operation 'Overlord', these airfields were redesignated as Wings with the original controlling Wings beings either disbanded or redesignated as Sectors. 

To simplify the histories of these units, they have been combined into single entries covering the period of both Airfields and Wings, as shown below.


 No 121 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 121 Airfield at Wrexham on 22 February 1943 in No 83 Group, being placed under No 16 Wing on 5 July.  It was transferred to No 22 Wing on 16 April 1944 and was redesignated No 121 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

 

Date Location Notes
22 Feb 1943 Wrexham  
28 Feb 1943 Middle Wallop  
 8 Mar 1943 Membury  
13 Mar 1943 Middle Wallop  
 5 Apr 1943 Fairlop  
31 May 1943 Selsey  
1 Jul 1943 Lydd  
7 Aug 1943 Attlebridge  
 9 Oct 1943 Westhampnet  
1 Apr 1944 Holmsley South  
7 Apr 1944 St Leonards Fields for exercise
10 Apr 1944 Holmsley South  

 

Date Squadron Notes
1 Mar 1943 Nos 19, 182 and 247 arrived on formation
29 Apr 1943 No 182

No 602

to No 124 Airfield

arrived

18 May 1943 No 65 replaced No 19
26 May 1943 No 245 replaced No 247
31 May 1943 No 602 to No 122 Airfield
 1 Jul 1943 No 65

Nos 174 and 175

to No 122 Airfield

arrived

 5 Aug 1943 No 175 to No 125 Airfield
 7 Aug 1943 No 247 arrived
12 Aug 1943 No 247

No 175

left

returned

On 12 May 1944 No 121 Airfield was redesignated as No 121 (Rocket Projectile) Wing at Holmsley South in No 22 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF.  Initially comprising Nos 174, 175 and 245 Squadrons, it moved to France on 16 June 1944, where No 184 Squadron joined it on 15 Jul 1944.  It then made its made through France, Belgum, the Netherlands Germany and into Denmark in support of the Allied ground forces but following the end of hostilities in Europe it returned to the UK and disbanded at Dunsfold on 30 September 1945.

The table below show its various locations in Europe.

Date Location
28 Aug 1944 B.24 St Andre - de - L'Eure
early Sep 1944 due to move to Vitry
16 Sep 1944 B.70 Antwerp/Deurne
28 Sep 1944 B.80 Volkel
22 Mar 1945 B.100 Goch
12 Apr 1945 B.110 Achmer
19 Apr 1945 B.150 Hustedt
28 May 1945 B.164 Schleswigholstein
2 Aug 1945 B.160 Kastrup
5 Sep 1945 B.166 Flensburg

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr/Gp Capt C S Morice

xx Dec 1944                    Gp Capt G Jones

xx Apr 1945                    Gp Capt R P R Powell

Wing Commanders Flying:  -

xx Aug 1943                    Wg Cdr D Crowley - Milling

xx Sep 1943                     Wg Cdr R T P Davidson

xx Jan 1944                      Wg Cdr C L Green

xx Aug 1944                     Wg Cdr W Pitt Brown

xx Nov 1944                    Wg Cdr M T Judd

xx Feb 1945                     Wg Cdr J G Keep

It reformed at Fassberg on 1 April 1953 as No 121 (Day Fighter) Wing in 2nd TAF to control local squadrons with Nos 14, 98 and 118 Squadrons.  On  19 Apr 1955 No 98 Squadron left, followed by No 118  on 6 May and No 14 on 23 May and disbanded on 1 November 1956 in No 2 Group.

It reformed at Gutersloh the same day (1 November 1956) by redesignating No 551 Wing in No 2 Group with Nos 59 and 79 Squadrons and disbanded on 1 September 1957.

It reformed once again at Gutersloh on 1 September 1958 with Nos 20 and 79 Squadrons.  No 26 Squadron joined on 8 September followed by No 14 Squadron on 15 September and disbanded on 1 January 1960.

It reformed at Coningsby on 1 April 2006 as No 121 Expeditionary Air Wing (Multi Role) to provide general support to the NATO Response Force as well as Humanitarian and Disaster relief; peacekeeping or for stabilisation operations and is still in existence.

Officers Commanding:  -

xx xxx xxxx                            Wg Cdr Blythe Crawford (2013)

xx xxx 2014                            Wg Cdr M Tillyard

xx xxx 2015                            Wg Cdr S Smiley


No 122 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 122 Airfield at Zeals on 15 February 1943 in No 83 Group.  On 1 August it was placed under No 15 Wing and was redesignated No 122 Wing on 12 May 1944.    The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
25 Feb 1943 Chilbolton  
13 Mar 1943 Zeals  
4 Apr 1943 Eastchurch  
1 Jun 1943 Bognor  
1 Jul 1943 Kingsnorth  
20 Oct 1943 Gravesend  
15 Apr 1944 Ford  
19 Apr 1944 Gravesend  
29 Apr 1944 Funtington  

 

Date Squadron Notes
1 Mar 1943 Nos 132, 174 and 184 arrived on formation
3 May 1943 No 174

No 181

left

arrived

18 May 1943 No 122

No 132

arrived

left

31 May 1943 No 602 from No 121 Airfield
12 Jun 1943 No 174

No 184

arrived

left

1 Jul 1943 No 174

No 65

to No 121Airfield

from No 121Airfield

13 Aug 1943 No 602 to No 125 Airfield
14 Aug 1943 No 184 returned
18 Aug 1943 No 184

No 19

to No 125 Wing

from No 125 Wing

 

No 122 Airfield was redesignated No 122 (Rocket Projectile) Wing on 12 May 1944 in No 15 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF at Gravesend, comprising Nos 19, 65 and 122 Squadrons.  After moving to the Continent in June it returned to the UK, where it was redesignated No 150 Wing.  The table below show its various locations during this period.

Date Location Notes
13 May 1944 Funtington  
18 Jun 1944 Ford  
23 Jun 1944 B.2 Bazenville  
24 Jun 1944 B.7 Martragny  
16 Jul 1944 B.12 Ellon  
1 Sep 1944 B.24 St Andre - de - L'Eure  
3 Sep 1944 B.42 Beauvais  
8 Sep 1944 B.60 Grimbergen  
28 Sep 1944 Matlask redesignated No 150 Wing

Meanwhile, No 150 Wing at Grimbergen was redesignated No 121 Wing on 28 September 1944 in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF and after moving through The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark, disbanded in BAFO on 7 September 1945.  The tables below show its various locations during this period and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Sep 1944 B.60 Grimbergen No 150 Wing redesignated
1 Oct 1944 B.80 Volkel  
10 Apr 1945 B.112 Rheine - Hopstein  
26 Apr 1945 B.152 Fassberg  
21 Jun 1945 B.160 Kastrup  
4 Sep 1945 B.166 Flensburg  

 

Date Squadron Notes
28 Sep 1944 Nos 3, 56 and 486 taken over from No 150 Wing
7 Oct 1944 Nos 80 and 274 from No 125 Wing
17 Mar 1945 No 274 to No 135 Wing
by May 1945 No 486 to No 125 Wing
14 Jul 1945 No 486 from No 125 Wing
6 Sep 1945 No 80 to No 124 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr C F Currant

xx Jul 1944                    Gp Capt P G Jameson

Wing Commander Flying:  -

15 Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr H A C Bird - Wilson

xx Nov 1943                     Wg Cdr P R W Wickham

xx Mar 1944                     Wg Cdr R J C Grant (killed in a flying accident on 28 Feb 1944)

xx Mar 1944                     Wg Cdr G R A M Johnston

xx Sep 1944                     Wg Cdr W W J Loud

xx Sep 1944                     Wg Cdr R P Beaumont

xx Oct 1944                     Wg Cdr J B Wray

xx Jan 1945                     Wg Cdr R E P Brooker (killed in action 16 Apr 1945)

xx Apr 1945                     Wg Cdr E D Mackie

It reformed at Jever on 1 April 1953 to control its local squadrons, Nos 4, 93, and 98.  On 6 May 1955 it these were joined by 118 Squadron with No 98 disbanding on 15 July 1957 followed by No 118 on 22 August 1957, leaving just Nos 4 and 93 until the the Wing disbanded on 1 January 1960.

It reformed as No 122 Expeditionary Air Wing (Fighter/Ground Attack) at Cottesmore on 1 April 2006, but following the withdrawal of the Harrier, the Wing was disbanded in 2012.


No 123 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 123 Airfield at Stoney Cross on 1 April 1943 in No 35 Wing.  On 10 July 1943 it was re - organised at Odiham for new squadrons and was transferred to No 20 Wing on 10 March 1944, being redesignated No 123 Wing on 12 May 1944 at Thorney Island.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
7 Apr 1943 Gatwick  
23 Jun 1943 Odiham  
20 Sep 1943 Hutton Cranswick  
10 Oct 1943 Huggate  
15 Oct 1943 Thruxton  
12 Nov 1943 Sawbridgeworth  
27 Feb 1944 Manston  
1 Apr 1944 Thorney Island  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 1 Apr 1943 Nos 26, 175 and 239 arrived on formation
 7 Apr 1943 No 175 left
8 Apr 1943 No 183 arrived
21 Jun 1943 Nos 26 and 239 left
12 Jul 1943 No 168 arrived
3 Jul 1943 No 268 arrived
14 Jul 1943 No 170 arrived
15 Sep 1943 No 2

No 268

arrived

to No 130 Airfield

15 Oct 1943 No 268 from No 130 Airfield
7 Nov 1943 No 268 left
8 Nov 1943 No 63 arrived
30 Nov 1943 Nos 63 and 168

Nos 2 and 4

to No 130 Airfield

from No 130 Airfield

3 Jan 1944 No 4 to No 130 Airfield
15 Jan 1944 No 170 disbanded
20 Jan 1944 No 418 arrived
4 Mar 1944 Nos 183 and 198 arrived
10 Mar 1944 No 198

No 609

to No 20 Wing

arrived

15 Mar 1944 No 198

No 197

to No 146 Airfield

from No 146 Airfield

16 Mar 1944 No 609 to No 146 Airfield
17 Mar 1944 No 183

No 198

from No 146 Airfield

to No 146 Airfield:

1 Apr 1944 No 609

No 198

from No 146 Airfield

to No 146 Airfield

2 Apr 1944 No 183

No 197

to No 136 Airfield

to No 146 Airfield

3 Apr 1944 No 198

Nos 183 and 164

from No 146 Airfield

from No 136 Airfield

29 Apr 1944 Nos 183 and 164 to No 136 Airfield

No 123 (Rocket Projectile) Wing was formed on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 123 Airfield in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF at Thorney Island initially with Nos 198 and 609 Squadrons.  It moved to the Continent on 1 July 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany.  By 1 January 1945 it had been transferred to No 84 Group and disbanded in October 1947.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
17 Jun 1944 Funtington  
1 Jul 1944 B.10 Plumetot  
19 Jul 1944 B.7 Martragny  
30 Oct 1944 B.67 Ursel:  
26 Nov 1944 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
31 Dec 1944 A.84 Chievres  
19 Jan 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
23 Mar 1945 B.91 Kluis  
18 Apr 1945 B.103 Plantlunne  
30 May 1945 B.116 Wunstorf;  
17 Mar 1946 Adv Pty to B.155 Dedelstorf  
16 Apr 1946 B.155 Dedelstorf  
21 Sep 1946 Wunstorf:  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 198 and 609 took over on formation
26 Jul 1944 Nos 164 and 183 from No - 136 Wing
17 Jun 1945 Nos 451 and 453 arrived
29 Jun 1945 No 349 from No 131 Wing
2 Jul 1945 No 322 from No 131 Wing
13 Jul 1945 No 350 from No 125 Wing
4 Sep 1945 No 453 to No 145 Wing
14 Sep 1945 No 451 to No 145 Wing
7 Oct 1945 No 322 disbanded
15 Nov 1945 Nos 349 and 350 to No 135 Wing
24 Jan 1946 No 3 from No 135 Wing
31 Jan 1946 Nos 41 and 80 from No 124 Wing
1 Apr 1946 No 41 became No 26
13 Apr 1946 No 26 to No 135 Wing
15 Apr 1947 No 2 arrived

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                     Wg Cdr J R Davenport

xx Nov 1943                   Wg Cdr R Noel Smith

xx Mar 1944                   Wg Cdr/Gp Capt D J Scott

xx Feb 1945                    Gp Capt J R Baldwin

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx May 1944                  Wg Cdr R E P Brooker

xx Jul 1944                     Wg Cdr W Dring (killed in a flying accident  - 13 Jan 1945)

xx Jan 1945                    Wg Cdr J C Button

It reformed at Wunstorf on 1 April 1953 in No 2 Group to control its local units comprising Nos 5, 11 and 266 Squadrons.  On 7 November 1955 these were joined by No 541 Squadron, which disbanded on 6 September 1957 followed by No 5 Squadron on 12 October 1957, leaving just Nos 5 and 11 Squadrons, until the Wing disbanded on 16 November 1957.


No 124 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 124 Airfield at Lasham on 1 April 1943 in No 83 Group.  On 5 July 1943 it was transferred to No 16 Wing, then on 16 April 1944 to No 22 Wing but was redesignated No 124 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
1 Apr 1943 Lasham  
2 Jun 1943 Appledram  
2 Jul 1943 New Romney  
9 Oct 1943 Merston  
31 Dec 1943 Odiham  
13 Jan 1944 Merston  
1 Apr 1944 Hurn  

 

Date Squadron Notes
1 Apr 1943 No 412 arrived on formation
12 Apr 1943 No 412 left
29 Apr 1943 No 182 from No 121 Airfield
18 May 1943 No 181 arrived
29 May 1943 No 175 arrived
10 Jul 1943 No 247 Squadron arrived

No 124 (Rocket Projectile) Wing was formed at Hurn by redesignating No 124 Airfield on 12 May 1944 in No 22 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent on 16 June 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany but returned to the UK and disbanded on 30 Apr 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
13 May 1944 Salisbury Racecourse exercise
18 May 1944 Hurn  
16 Jun 1944 B.6 Coulombs  
30 Aug 1944 B.30 Creton  
3 Sep 1944 B.48 Amiens - Glisy  
6 Sep 1944 B.58 Melsbroek  
23 Sep 1944 B.78 Eindhoven  
9 Jan 1945 B.86 Helmond  
10 Apr 1945 B.106 Twente - Enschede  
13 Apr 1945 B.112 Rheine - Hopsten  
17 Apr 1945 B.120 Langenhagen  
30 Apr 1945 B.156 Luneberg  
7 May 1945 B.158 Lubeck  
6 Jul 1945 B.160 Kastrup  
8 Sep 1945 B.158 Lubeck  
30 Jan 1946 B.116 Wunstorf  
xx Apr 1946 Chilbolton  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 181, 182 and 247 taken over on formation
13 Aug 1944 No 137 from No 125 Wing
14 Jul 1945 No 41 from No 125 Wing
13 Aug 1945 No 247 to UK
6 Sep 1945 No 80 from No 122 Wing
 8 Sep 1945 No 41 from No 35 Wing
30 Sep 1945 Nos 181 and 182 disbanded
xx xxx xxxx No 26 arrived
31 Jan 1946 Nos 41 and 80 to No 123 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr L A Lynn

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr V E Maxwell

xx Sep 1943                   Wg Cdr B G Carroll

xx Jul 1944                     Gp Capt C H Appleton (killed in action  - 12 Aug 1944)

xx Aug 1944                   Gp Capt C L Green

xx Jan 1945                    Gp Capt E R Bitmead

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr D E Gillam

xx Aug 1943                  Wg Cdr A Ingle

xx Oct 1943                  Wg Cdr D R Walker

xx Jan 1944                   Wg Cdr E Haabjorn

xx Aug 1944                  Wg Cdr C D North - Lewis

xx Apr 1945                  Wg Cdr G F H Webb (killed in action  - 2 May 1945)

xx May 1945                 Wg Cdr M R Ingle - Finch

It reformed at Oldenburg on 1 Apr 1953 as No 124 (Fighter) Wing in No 2 Group to control its local units, Nos 20 and 26 Squadrons, with No 14 Squadron joining on 23 May 1955 and disbanded on 2 October 1957.


No 125 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 125 Airfield at Gravesend on 24 Jun 1943 from personnel of Nos 3020 and 3036 Servicing Echelons in No 83 Group  On 1 August 1943 it was placed under No 15 Wing and was redesignated No 125 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
2 Jul 1943 Newchurch  
12 Oct 1943 Detling  
4 May 1944 Ford  

 

Date Squadron Notes
24 Jun 1943 Nos 19 and 132 arrived on formation
5 Aug 1943 No 175 from No 121 Airfield
12 Aug 1943 No 175 from No 121 Airfield
13 Aug 1943 No 602 from No 121 Airfield
18 Aug 1943 No 19

No 184

to No 122 Wing

from No 122 Wing

19 Jan 1944 No 453 arrived

No 125 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Ford on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 125 Airfield in No 15 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF. It moved to the Continent on 17 June 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany, disbanding at Lubeck on 14 July 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
12 May 1944 Ford  
17 Jun 1944 B.9 Bazenville  
23 Jun 1944 B.11 Longues  
2 Sep 1944 B.2 Beauvais/Nivillers  
17 Sep 1944  B.70 Antwerp/Deurne  
27 Sep 1944 B.82 Grave  
3 Nov 1944 B.64 Diest  
31 Dec 1944 Y.32 Ophoven  
8 Jan 1945 B.86 Helmond:  
27 Jan 1945 B.78 Eindhoven  
8 Apr 1945 B.106 Twente - Enschede  
16 Apr 1945 B.118 Celle  
12 May 1945 B.160 Kastrup  
21 Jun 1945 B.172 Husum  
11 Jul 1945 B.158 Lubeck  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 132, 453 and 602 taken over on formation
14 Jul 1944 No 441 from No 144 Wing:
13 Aug 1944 No 137 to No 124 Wing
28 Sep 1944 Nos 132, 441, 453 and 602

Nos 80, 130, 274 and 402

to ADGB

arrived

1 Oct 1944 No 80 to No 123 Wing
7 Oct 1944 No 274 to No 122 Wing
8 Nov 1944 Nos 41, 350 and 610 from UK
27 Dec 1944 No 402 to No 126 Wing
31 Dec 1944 Nos 130 and 610 from No 127 Wing
25 Jan 1945 No 41 to No 127 Wing
21 Feb 1945 No 610 to UK
21 Mar 1945 No 41 returned
7 May 1945 No 137 from No 124 Wing
10 May 1945 No 130 to UK
by 12 May 1945 No 486 arrived

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                     Wg Cdr J H Lapsley

xx Jul 1944                      Gp Capt J Rankin

xx Aug 1944                    Gp Capt F D S Scott - Malden

xx Mar 1945                    Gp Capt J E Johnson

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr R D Yule

xx Mar 1944                  Wg Cdr A C Stewart

xx Jul 1944                     Wg Cdr A G Page

xx Oct 1944                   Wg Cdr J Wray

xx Nov 1944                  Wg Cdr G C Keefer

It reformed at Ahlhorn on 1 April 1953 as No 125 (Night Fighter) Wing in No 2 Group to control its local units, Nos 96 and 256 Squadrons.  On 1 September 1955 its strength was brought up to three squadrons by the arrival of No 213 Squadron but this unit left on 22 August 1957 to be replaced by Nos 14 and 20 Squadrons on 26 September 1957.  However, Nos 96 and 256 Squadrons were transferred to No 138 Wing on  12 February 1958 and the Wing disbanded on 1 September 1958.

It reformed at Leuchars on 1 April 2006 as No 125 Expeditionary Air Wing (Fighter) but with the closure of RAF Leuchars the Wing was disbanded in 2015.


No 126 (RCAF) Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 126 Airfield at Redhill on 4 July 1943 in No 17 (RCAF) Wing and was redesignated No 126 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
6 Aug 1943 Staplehurst  
13 Oct 1943 Biggin Hill  
15 Apr 1944 Tangmere  
2 May 1944 St Leonards Field exercise
xx May 1944 Tangmere  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 4 Jul 1943 Nos 401, 411 and 412 arrived on formation

No 126 (RCAF) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Tangmere on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 126 Airfield  in No 15 Sector (later No 17 Sector), No 83 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent on 17 June 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany, disbanding at Utersen on 31 March 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
Jun 1944 in transit  
16 Jun 1944 B.3 Ste Croix - sur - Mer  
18 Jun 1944 B.4 Beny - sur - Mer  
 8 Aug 1944 B.18 Cristot  
28 Aug 1944 B.28 Evreux  
2 Sep 1944 B.44 Poix  
5 Sep 1944 B.56 Evere  
20 Sep 1944 B.68 Le Culot  
2 Oct 1944 B.84 Rips  
14 Oct 1944 B.80 Volkel  
2 Dec 1944 B.88 Heesch  
12 Apr 1945 B.108 Rheine  
14 Apr 1945 B.116 Wunstorf:  
13 May 1945 B.152 Fassberg  
2 Jul 1945 B.74 Utersen  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 401, 411 and 412 taken over on formation
12 Jul 1944 No 442 from No 144 Wing
27 Dec 1944 No 402 from No 125 Wing
7 Jul 1945 Nos 416 and 443 from No 127 Wing
10 Jul 1945 No 401 disbanded
xx Jul 1945 No 402 to UK

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jul 1943                     Wg Cdr J E Walker

xx Aug 1943                   Wg Cdr K L B Hodson

xx Jul 1944                     Gp Capt G R McGregor

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr B D Russel

xx Oct 1943                   Wg Cdr R W McNair

xx Apr 1944                  Wg Cdr G C Keefer

xx Jul 1944                    Wg Cdr B D Russel

xx Jan 1945                   Wg Cdr G W Northcott


No 127 (RCAF) Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 127 Airfield at Kenley on 4 July 1943 by redesignating the Kenley Wing in No 17 (RCAF) Wing and was redesignated No 127 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
 4 Jul 1943 Kenley  
6 Aug 1943 Lashenden  
20 Aug 1943 Headcorn  
14 Oct 1943 Kenley  
17 Apr 1944 Tangmere  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 4 Jul 1943 Nos 403 and 421 arrived on formation

No 127 (RCAF) (Fighter) Wing was formed on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 127 Airfield in No 15 Sector (later No 17 Sector), No 83 Group, 2nd TAF.   It moved to the Continent on 17 June 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany, disbanding at Reinsehlen on 7 July 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
12 May 1944 Tangmere  
14 Jun 1944 B.2 Bazenville  
16 Jun 1944 B.2 Crepon  
28 Aug 1944 B.26 Illiers l'Eveque  
16 Sep 1944 B.68 Le Culot  
28 Sep 1944 B.82 Grave  
28 Oct 1944 B.58 Melsbroek  
4 Nov 1944 B.56 Evere  
3 Mar 1945 B.90 Petit Brogel  
31 Mar 1945 B.78 Eindhoven  
11 Apr 1945 B.100 Goch  
13 Apr 1945 B.114 Diepholz  
28 Apr 1945 B.154 Reinsehlen  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 403, 416 and 421 taken over on formation
12 Jul 1944 No 443 from No 144 Wing
28 Aug 1944 No 414 from No 39 (Reconnaissance) Wing
20 Sep 1944 No 414 to No 39 (Reconnaissance) Wing
3 Dec 1944 No 350 from UK
4 Dec 1944 No 610 from UK
31 Dec 1944 Nos 350 and 610 to No 125 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr C M Brown

xx Jul 1944                    Gp Capt W R MacBrien

xx Jan 1945                   Gp Capt P S Turner

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Jul 1943                       Wg Cdr J E Johnson

xx Sep 1943                     Wg Cdr H C Godefroy

xx Apr 1944                     Wg Cdr L V Chadburn (killed in action  - 12 Jun 1944)

xx Jun 1944                      Wg Cdr R A Buckham

xx Jul 1944                       Wg Cdr J E Johnson

xx Apr 1945                     Wg Cdr J F Edwards


No 128 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Dunsfold as No 128 Airfield on 4 July 1943 in No 39 (Reconnaissance) Wing and was redesignated No 128 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Jul 1943 Woodchurch  
15 Oct 1943 Redhill  
19 Feb 1944 Odiham  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 4 Ju 1943 Nos 231 and 400 arrived on formation
15 Jan 1944 No 231 disbanded
21 Feb 1944 No 168 from No 130 Airfield

No 128 (Fighter) (RCAF) Wing was formed at Odiham on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 128 Airfield in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF.  No 400 Squadron remained but No 168 Squadron was replaced by Nos 414 and 430 Squadrons to make it a pure RCAF unit.  Between 12 - 15 May it appears to have moved to St Leonards Field as it returned to Odiham on 15 May 1944, moving on to the Continent on 29 June to B.8 Sommervieu, where it merged into No 39 Wing on 1 July 1944.

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jul 1943                      Squadron Ldr J M Hall

xx Aug 1943                    Wg Cdr J M Godfrey

It reformed at North Weald on 7 May 1945 as No 128 (Reconnaissance) Wing in No 88 Group for Operation Doomsday o control all RAF units in Oslo area except for those under the direct control of No 88 Group HQ.  It moved to Dyce on 4 May 1945, sailing for Norway on 15 May, arriving at  Oslo/Gardermoen on 22 May but returned to the UK at Dunsfold on 14 November, where it disbanded on 12 December 1945.

Date Squadron Notes
 7 May 1945 Nos 331 and 332 arrived on formation
by 22 May 1945 Nos 333 and 334 arrived

It reformed at Habbaniya on 4 Mar 1954 as No 128 (Tactical) Wing under AHQ Iraq with Nos 6 and 73 Squadrons and disbanded on 31 October 1955.


No 129 Airfield/Wing

This was formed 4 July 1943 at Gatwick as No 129 Airfield in No 39 (Reconnaissance) Wing  being placed under No 15 Wing on 20 April 1944 and was redesignated No 129 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
13 Aug 1943 Ashford  
15 Oct 1943 Gatwick  
2 Apr 1944 Odiham  
22 Apr 1944 Westhampnett  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 4 Jul 1943 Nos 414 and 430 arrived on formation
5 Oct 1943 No 414 to No 129 Airfield
3 Nov 1943 No 414 from No 129 Airfield

No 129 (Fighter Bomber) Wing was formed at Westhampnett on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 129 Airfield in No 15 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF with No 184 Squadron.  It began its move to the Continent on 13 June 1944, arriving at B.10 Plumetot on 28 June but disbanded on 12 July 1944.  

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jul 1943                    Wg Cdr E H G Moncrief

xx Feb 1944                  Wg Cdr D S C Macdonald

It reformed at Turnhouse on 7 May 1945 as No 129 (RAF) Wing in No 88 Group for Operation Apostle to control all RAF units in the Stavanger area, including No 330 Squadron.  It moved to Stavanger/Sola on 30 May but was back in the UK at Chilbolton on 29 November, where it disbanded on 12 December 1945.


No 130 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 130 Airfield at Gravesend on 10 July 1943 in No 35 Wing  and was redesignated No 130 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
7 Aug 1943 Odiham  
15 Nov 1943 North Weald  
29 Feb 1944 Sawbridgeworth  
4 Apr 1944 Gatwick  

 

Date Squadron Notes
10 Jul 1943 Nos 331 and 332 arrived on formation
15 Sep 1943 No 268 from No 123 Airfield
15 Oct 1943 No 268 to No 123 Airfield
15 Nov 1943 Nos 2 and 4 arrived
30 Nov 1943 Nos 2 and 4

Nos 63 and 168

to No 123 Airfield

arrived

3 Jan 1944 No 4 from No 123 Airfield
21 Feb 1944 No 168 to No 128 Airfield

No 130 (Reconnaissance) Wing was formed at Odiham (having moved from Gatwick?) on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 130 Airfield as  in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF  comprising Nos 2, 4 and 268 Squadrons but was merged into No 35 Wing on 7 July 1944.

Officers Commanding:  -

xx xxx 1943                    Wg Cdr A F Anderson

xx xxx xxxx                     Wg Cdr R Noel - Smith

It reformed at Turnhouse on 7 May 1945 as No 130 Wing in No 88 Group for Operation Apostle to control all RAF units, including Nos 129 and 165 Squadrons in Trondelag area of Norway.  It moved to Oslo on 5 June but returned to the UK at Dunsfold on 14 November, where it disbanded on 15 December 1945.


No 131 (Polish) Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Northolt as No 131 Airfield Headquarters (Polish) on 4 Oct 1943 in No 18 Wing, comprising Nos 302, 308 and 317 Squadrons.  It moved to Deanland; 1 Apr 1944, Chailey on 26 April and the to Selsey on 1 May 1944, with 'A' Party moving to Portreath until 12 May 1944, when it was redesignated No 131 Wing on the same day.

No 131 (Polish) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Chailey (having moved from Selsey?) on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 131 Airfield in No 18 Sector, No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent on 22 July 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany.  Remaining at Ahlhorn as part of BAFO, it finally returned to the UK in October 1946, disbanding at Hethel on 2 January 1947.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Jun 1944 Appledram  
16 Jul 1944 Ford  
22 Jul 1944 B.12 Caen/Ellon  
3 Aug 1944 B.10 Plumetot  
6 Sep 1944 B.131 Londinieres  
11 Sep 1944 B.51 Lille - Vendeville  
3 Oct 1944 B.70 Antwerp/Deurne  
11 Oct 1944 B.61 Ghent/St Denis Westrem  
14 Jan 1945 B.60 Grimbergen  
8 Mar 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
13 Apr 1945 B.101 Nordhorn  
30 Apr 1945 B.113 Varrelbusch  
12 Sep 1945 B.111 Ahlhorn  
15 Oct 1946 Hethel Rear Party arrived 28 Nov 1946

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 302, 308 and 317 taken over on formation
30 Apr 1945 Nos 322 (Dutch) and  349 (Belgian) from No 132 Wing
29 Jun 1945 No 349 left
2 Jul 1945 No 322 to No 123 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr Z Krasnodebski

xx Feb 1944                    Wg Cdr Z Czaykowski

xx Jul 1944                      Gp Capt A Gabszewicz

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Oct 1943                    Wg Cdr S F Skalski

xx Nov 1943                   Wg Cdr A Gabszewicz

xx Feb 1944                    Wg Cdr S F Skalski

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr J Kowalski

xx Oct 1944                    Wg Cdr T Sawicz


No 132 (Norwegian) Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 132 (Norwegian) Airfield Headquarters at North Weald on 1 November 1943 in No 84 Group, comprising Nos 331 and 332 Squadrons.  It moved to Bognor on 31 March 1944, where it took over No 66 Squadron on 20 April, by now being under No 19 Wing but was redesignated No 132 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 132 (Norwegian) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Bognor on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 132 Ai rfield in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent between 2 - 21 August 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium and finally Holland but on 7 May 1945 it returned to the UK joining Fighter Command to take control all RAF units in Kristiansund/South area of Norway.  On 17 October 1945 it was placed in Care and Maintenance and was transferred to the Royal Norwegian Air Force on 21 November 1945, along with Nos 330, 331, 333 and 334 Squadrons.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
21 Jun 1944 Tangmere  
6 Aug 1944 Funtington  
13 Aug 1944 Ford  
2 - 21 Aug 1944 B.16 Villons - les - Buissons  
Sep 1944 B.59 Vlamertinghe  
Sep 1944 B.33 Camp Neuseville  
6 Oct 1944 B.60 Grimbergen  
22 Dec 1944 B.70 Woensdrecht  
21 Feb 1945 B.85 Schijdel  
18 Apr 1945 B.106 Twente - Enschede  
7 May 1945 North Weald  
20 May 1945 Turnhouse  
4 Jun 1945 in transit  
8 Jun 1945 Kristiansund  including No 130 Squadron

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 66. 331 and 332 taken over on formation
17 Jul 1944 No 127 from No 134 Wing
11 Dec 1944 No 322 from No 135 Wing
19 Apr 1945 Nos 349 and 485 arrived
24 Apr 1945 Nos 331 and 332 to UK
30 Apr 1945 Nos 322 and 349

No 485

No 127

to No 131 Wing

to No 145 Wing

disbanded

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Lt Col H Mehre

xx Jun 1943                    Lt Col W Mohr

xx Jun 1943                    Lt Col H Mehre

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Lt Col K Birksted

xx Mar 1944                    Lt Col R A Berg (killed in action  - 3 Feb 1945)

xx Feb 1945                    Lt Col F Ryg


No 133 (Polish) Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Heston as No 133 Airfield Headquarters (Polish) on 1 November 1943 by redesignating No 1 Polish Wing in No 18 Wing with Nos 306 and 315 Squadrons.  It moved to Coolham on1 April 1944 and was redesignated No 133 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 133 (Polish) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Coolham on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 133 Airfield in No 18 Sector, No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  However, on 3 July it was transferred to No 11 Group then on 23 December to the direct control of Fighter Command and disbanded on 7 August 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
12 May 1944 Coolham  
22 Jun 1944 Holmsley South  
26 Jun 1944 Ford  
9 Jul 1944 Brenzett  
10 Oct 1944 Andrews Field  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 129, 306 and 315 taken over on formation
24 Oct 1944 No 316 arrived
1 Nov 1944 No 315 left
12 Dec 1944 No 129

No 309

left

arrived

15 Jan 1945 No 316

No 315

to No 150 Wing

returned

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Gp Capt T Nowierski

Wing Commander Flying:  -

15 Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr W Zak

xx Feb 1944                    Wg Cdr J Kowalski

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr S F Skalski


No 134 (Czech) Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Ibsley as No 134 (Czech) Airfield Headquarters on 8 November 1943 in ADGB, comprising Nos 310, 312 and 313 Squadrons.  On 7 January 1944 it was transferred to No 84 Group, 2nd TAF, moving to Mendlesham on 18 February then to Appledram on 3 April and by 20 April it had been placed under No 19 Wing but was redesignated No 134 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 134 (Czech) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Appledram on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 134 Airfield in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  Its temporary loan to Fighter Command seems to have been more long term as it remained in the UK until 24 August 1945, when its Squadrons moved to Czechoslovakia. The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
12 May 1944 Appledram  
22 Jun 1944 Tangmere  
3 Jul 1944 Lympne on temporary loan to No 11 Group
27 - 28 Aug 1944 North Weald  
30 Dec 1944 Bradwell Bay  
27 - 28 Feb 1945 Manston  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 310, 312 and 313 taken over on formation
3 Jul 1944 Nos 33, 74 and 127 arrived
17 Jul 1944 No 74

No 33

to No 145 Wing

to No 135 Wing

xx xxx 1944 No 127 left

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr F Weber

xx Dec 1943                    Wg Cdr F Dolezal

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr G D Blackwood

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr T Vybral


No 135 Airfield/Wing/No 135 Expeditionary Air Wing

It was formed at Hornchurch as No 135 Airfield on 15 November 1943 in No 20 Wing, comprising Nos 66, 129 and 350 Squadrons.  It moved to Matching Green in February 1944, being transferred to No 23 Wing on 1 March before returning to Hornchurch: on 10 March then on to Selsey on 11 April.  It was transferred to No 19 Wing on 20 April, moving to Chailey on 1 May with 'A' Party going to Portreath until 12 May when the unit was redesignated No 135 Wing the same day. 

No 135 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Selsey on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 135 Airfield in No 18 Sector, No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent on 23 August 1944 to begin a nomadic existence through France, Belgium, Holland and finally into Germany, where it became part of BAFO and disbanded after arriving at Gutersloh on 1 December 1947.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
30 Jun 1944 Coolham  
4 Jul 1944 Funtington  
6 Aug 1944 Selsey  
19 Aug 1944 Tangmere  
23 Aug 1944 B.17 Caen/Carpiquet  
15 Sep 1944 B.35 Baromesnil  
12 Sep 1944 B.53 Merville  
2 Nov 1944 B.65 Maldeghem  
14 Jan 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
7 Apr 1945 B.91 Kluis  
19 Apr 1945 B.109 Quackenbruck  
19 Jun 1945 B.155 Dedelstorf  
23 Oct 1945 B.152 Fassberg  
2 Jan 1946 Gatow  
17 Feb 1946 Fassberg  
1 Dec 1947 Gutersloh  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 222, 349 and 485 taken over on formation
17 Jul 1944 No 33 from No 134 Wing
7 Dec 1944 No 322 arrived
11 Dec 1944 No 322 to No 132 Wing:
15 Dec 1944 Nos 33 and 222 to UK
21 Feb 1945 No 349

Nos 33 and 222

to UK

from UK

25 Feb 1945 No 485 to UK
17 Mar 1945 No 274 from No 122 Wing
3 Sep 1945 Nos 222 and 274 to UK
7 Sep 1945 Nos 3 and 56 from No 122 Wing
19 Sep 1945 No 174 from UK
15 Nov 1945 Nos 349 and 350 from No 123 Wing
24 Jan 1946 No 3 to No 123 Wing
31 Mar 1946 Nos 16 and 174 disbanded
1 Apr 1946 No 56

No 16

renumbered No 16

No 56 renumbered

13 Apr 1946 No 26 from No 123 Wing
24 Oct 1946 Nos 349 and 350 returned to Belgium
1 Dec 1947 No 26 left

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1943                 Wg Cdr A S Linney

xx Jul 1944                    Gp Capt P R Walker

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Nov 1943                   Wg Cdr W V Crawford - Crompton

xx Dec 1943                    Wg Cdr P J Simpson

xx Jul 1944                      Wg Cdr R H Harries

xx Feb 1945                    Wg Cdr H M Mason

It reformed at Bruggen on 1 Apr 1953 as No 135 (Fighter) Wing in 2nd TAF  to control its local squadrons, namely Nos 67, 71, 112 and 130 Squadrons.  By June 1958 it comprised Nos 80, 87 and 213 Squadrons and disbanded on 1 January 1960.

It reformed as No 135 Expeditionary Air Wing (Fighter) on 1 April 2006 at Leeming and remains in existence to provide expeditionary support to the Typhoons of the RAF's fighter force.

Officers Commanding:  -

xx xxx xxxx                   Wg Cdr S Hulme (2014)


No 136 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Fairlop as No 136 Airfield on 22 November 1943 in No 84 Group, being placed under No 20 Wing on 1 January 1944 and was redesignated No 136 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
6 Apr 1944 Thorney Island  
11 Apr 1944 Llanbedr  
22 Apr 1944 Thorney Island:  

 

Date Squadron Notes
22 Nov 1943 Nos 164 and 198 arrived on formation
2 Apr 1944 No 183 from No 123 Airfield
3 Apr 1944 Nos 183 and 164 to No 123 Airfield;
29 Apr 1944 Nos 183 and 164 from No 123 Airfield

No 136 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Thorney Island on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 136 Airfield in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF but was disbanded into No 123 Wing on 26 July 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
17 Jun 1944 Funtington  
22 Jun 1944 Hurn  
20 Jul 1944 B.7 Martragny  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 164 and 183 taken over on formation
1 Jul 1944 No 266 to No 146 Wing
No 266   from No 146 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1944                   Gp Capt T M Horgam

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr B Drake

xx May 1944                    Wg Cdr J M Bryan

It was due reform  at Swanton Morley on 24 August 1944 in No 2 Group comprising Nos 131 and 234 Squadrons together with their Servicing Echelons, but the plans were cancelled on 7 September 1944.

Instead it reformed as No 136 (Fighter Bomber?) Wing at Hartfordbridge on 20 October 1944 in No 2 Group, moving to the Continent in March 1945 and disbanded on 15 September 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
15 Mar 1945 B.71 Coxyde Advance Party arrived 1 Feb 1945
25 Apr 1945 B.80 Volkel  

 

Date Squadron Notes
20 Oct 1944 Nos 418

No 6

from Fighter Command

from No 134 Wing

21 Nov 1944 No 605 from No 11 Group

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1944                   Gp Capt T M Horgam

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Nov 1944                    Wg Cdr R N Bateman


No 137 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 137 Airfield at Hartfordbridge on 14 November 1943 in No 2 Group, comprising Nos 88, 107 and 342 Squadrons  and was redesignated No 137 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 137 (Bomber) Wing was formed at Hartfordbridge on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 137 Airfield in No 2 Group, 2nd TAF, moving to the Continent on 17 October 1944 and disbanded on 30 November 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
17 Oct 1944 B.50 Vitry - en - Artois  
22 Apr 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 88, 226 and 342 taken over on formation
4 Apr 1945 No 88 disbanded
7 Sep 1945 No 305 arrived
20 Sep 1945 No 226 disbanded
24 Nov 1945 No 305 to No 139 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Nov 1943                    Gp Capt W L M Macdonald

xx Nov 1944                    Gp Capt R L Kippenberger

It reformed at Wildenrath on 1 April 1953 in No 83 Group to control its local squadrons, comprising No 67 and 71 Squadrons:.  On 5 July 1955 No 67 Squadron departed followed by No 71 two days later but these were replaced by No 88 Squadron on 15 January 1956, which remained its only unit until 3 April 1957 when No 17 Squadron arrived.  By August 1958 it had been transferred to No 2 Group and disbanded on 1 January 1960.


No 138 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 121 Airfield at Lasham on 10 November 1943 in No 2 Group with Nos 305, 320 and 613 Squadrons and was redesignated No 138 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 138 (Bomber) Wing was formed at Lasham on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 138 Airfield in No 2 Group, 2nd TAF, moving to the Continent in November and disbanded on 14 April 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
29 - 30 Oct 1945 Hartfordbridge  
19 Nov 1944 B.72/A.75 Cambrai/Epinoy  
     

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 107, 305 and 613 taken over on formation
19 Jul 1945 No 107

No 487

to No 140 Wing

from No 140 Wing

2 Aug 1945 No 14 from ex UK
8 Aug 1945 No 613 redesignated No 69
19 Sep 1945 No 487 disbanded
31 Mar 1946 Nos 14 and 69 disbanded

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt L W Cannon

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt L W C Bower

It reformed at Geilenkirchen on 1 Apr 1953 as No 138 Wing in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF to control its local squadrons with No 3 Squadron arriving on 20 July 1953, No 234 Squadron on 8 January 1954 and No 2 Squadron on 25 October 1955.  No 3 Squadron disbanded on 15 June 1957 followed by No 234 Squadron on 15 July 1957, with No 2 Squadron leaving on 10 October 1957.  Replacement units arrived in the form of No 59 Squadron 25 November 1957  and Nos 96 and 256 Squadrons on 12 February 1958, both coming from No 125 Wing  On 21 January 1959 No 96 Squadron was redesignated No 3 Squadron with No 256 Squadron being redesignated No 11 Squadron and the Wing disbanded 1 January 1960.

It reformed at Marham as No 138 Expeditionary Air Wing (Fighter/Ground Attack) on 1 April 2006 and remains in existence to support expeditionary operation of the Tornado Force.


No 139 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 139 Airfield at Dunsfold on 17 November 1943 in No 2 Group with Nos 98 and 180 Squadrons and was redesignated No 139 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 139 (Bomber) Wing was formed at Dunsfold on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 139 Airfield in No 2 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent in October 1944, remaining in Germany as part of the BAFO until it disbanded on 31 Oct 1947.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
16 Oct 1944 B.58 Melsbroek  
1 May 1945 B.110 Achmer  
17 Sep 1945 B.58 Melsbroek  
8 Mar 1946 Wahn dett Gatow to 12 Dec 1946

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 98. 180 and 320 taken over on formation
2 Aug 1945 No 320 disbanded
8 Oct 1945 No 128 arrived
24 Nov 1945 No 305 from No 137 Wing
1 Apr 1946 No 180

No 128

redesignated No 69

redesignated No 14

15 Oct 1946 No 305 to UK

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt H J Burden

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt L W Cannon

xx Jun 1943                    Gp Capt C R Dunlop

xx Jan 1945                    Gp Capt E L Colbeck - Welch

Wing Commander Flying:  -

15 Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr A D Mitchell

It reformed at Wahn on 1 November 1947 in No 83 Group to control its local squadrons, namely Nos 4, 14 and 98, which were joined by No 107 Squadron on 13 November.  On 15 September 1948, No 107 Squadron was redesignated No 11 Squadron and on 17 September 1949 Nos 11 and 98 Squadrons left, followed by Nos 4 and 14 Squadrons two days later.  The Squadrons moved to Celle so the Wing may also have moved there as it possibly didn't disband until 1951?

It reformed at Celle on 1 April 1953 as No 139 (Fighter Bomber) Wing in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF to control its local squadrons, comprising Nos 16. 95 49 and 145.  It was transferred to No 2 Group on 15 October 1956 and disbanded on 1 December 1957.


No 140 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Sculthorpe as No 140 Airfield on 1 December 1943 in No 2 Group, comprising Nos 21, 464 and 487 Squadrons.   On 26 December it moved to Hunsdon then to Gravesend: on 17 April 1944, where it was redesignated No 140 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 140 (Bomber) Wing was formed at Gravesend on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 140 Airfield in No 2 Group, 2nd TAF.  It moved to the Continent in January 1945 eventually settling at Gutersloh as part of BAFO until it disbanded on 14 November 1947.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
18 Jun 1944 Thorney Island  
2 Jan 1945 Advance Party to B.87 Rosières  
6 Feb 1945 B.87 Rosieres - en - Santerre  
17 - 18 Apr 1945 B.58 Melsbroek  
1 Aug 1945 AdvanceParty to Y.99 Gutersloh  
3 Nov 1945 Gutersloh  
26 Jun 1946 Y.94 Munster/Handorf  
12 Aug 1946 Y.99 Gutersloh  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 21, 464 and 487 taken over on formation
19 Jul 1945 No 107

No 487

from No 138 Wing

to No 138 Wing

25 Sep 1945 No 464 disbanded
8 Nov 1945 No 4 arrived
1 Nov 1947 Nos 4 and 107 to No 139 Wing
7 Nov 1947 No 21 Squadron disbanded:

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Oct 1943                    Gp Capt P C Pickard (killed in action  - 18 Feb 1944)

xx Feb 1944                    Gp Capt P G Wykeham - Barnes

xx Dec 1944                    Gp Capt R N Bateman

It reformed at Lossiemouth on 1 April 2006 as No 140 Expeditionary Air Wing (Fighter) to support expeditionary operations by Tornados. It was deployed to Akrotiri in August 2014 to conduct operations against Daesh in Syria but on 14 December 2014 its role was taken over by No 903 EAW.  In 2016 it carried out air defence duties with Typhoons in Estonia.


No 141 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Church Fenton as No 141 Airfield on 1 January 1944, being placed under the control of No 85 Group on 10 March 1944 and was redesignated No 141 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
5 May 1944 Hartfordbridge  

 

Date Squadron Notes
1 Jan 1944 Nos 234 and 264 arrived on formation
28 Jan 1944 No 234 left
18 Mar 1944 No 124 arrived
23 Apr 1944 No 124

No 322

left

from No 147 Airfield

25 Apr 1944 No 604 from No 142 Airfield
28 Apr 1944 No 410 arrived
2 May 1944 No 604 to No 147 Airfield

No 141 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Hartfordbridge on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 141 Airfield in No 85 Group, 2nd TAF, but on 5 October was transferred to ADGB and disbanded into No 136 Wing on 5 November 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
21 Jul 1944 Deanland  
18 Oct 1944 Biggin Hill  
     

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 264, 322 and 410 taken over on formation
18 Jun 1944 No 410 to No 147 Wing
19 Jun 1944 Nos 264 and 322

No 91

left

from No 148 Wing

16 Aug 1944 No 345 arrived
1 Nov 1944 No 345 to No 145 Wing
     

It reformed at Hartfordbridge on 25 November 1944 as No 141 (Fighter Bomber) Wing in No 2 Group, 2nd TAF to control Nos 418 and 615 Squadrons.  It moved to the Continent on 15 March 1945, initially to B.71 Coxyde before going to B.80 Volkel on 28 - 29 April 1945, where it disbanded around 31 August 1945.   

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Aug 1944                    Wg Cdr H J L Hallowes

xx Sep 1944                    Wg Cdr R Oxspring


No 142 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Scorton as No 142 Airfield on 1 January 1944, being placed under No 85 Group on 10 March and was redesignated No 142 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Apr 1944 Horne  

 

Date Squadron Notes
1 Jan 1944 No 604 arrived on formation
15 Feb 1944 No 56 arrived
25 Apr 1944 No 604 to No 141 Airfield
28 Apr 1944 No 56 No 150 Airfield
30 Apr 1944 Nos 130, 303 and 402 arrived

No 142 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Horne on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 142 Airfield in No 85 Group, 2nd TAF.  After moving to the Continent in August 1944, it moved through France and Belgium, wher it remained until it disbanded on 3 August 1945.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
25 Jun 1944 Hartfordbridge  
31 Jul 1944 to marshalling area  
1 Aug 1944 embarked at Southampton  
2 Aug 1944 arrived Normandy beaches  
5 Aug 1944 A.8 Picauville  
7 Sep 1944 B.17 Caen/Carpiquet  
25 Sep 1944 B.61 Ghent/St Denis Westrem  
21 Oct 1944 B.63 Bruges/St Croix  
14 Dec 1944 B.83 Knocke - le - Zout  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 130, 303 and 402 taken over on formation
18 - 19 Jun 1944 Nos 130, 303 and 402 left
23 Jun 1944 No 604 attached
25 Jun 1944 No 264 arrived
26 Jul 1944 No 264 to No 148 Wing
30 Sep 1944 No 276 detachment arrived
31 Jan 1945 No 290 arrived

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr I E Chalmers - Watson

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr N J Starr

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr J I Kilmartin

xx Jun 1943                    Wg Cdr D Mawhood


No 143 (RCAF) Airfield/Wing

It was formed as  No 143 (RCAF) Airfield Headquarters at Ayr on 10 Jan 1944 in No 83 Group, controlling Nos 438, 439 and 440 Squadrons.  On 18 March it move to Hurn, to Funtington on 2 April and back to Hurn 20 April, where it came under No 22 Wing the same day but was redesignated No 143 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 143 (RCAF) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Hurn on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 143 Airfield in No 22 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF   After supporting the Allied ground forces through France, Belgium, The Netherland and into Germany it disbanded on 26 August 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
18 Jun 1944 in transit  
28 Jun 1944 B.9 Lantheuil:  
1 Sep 1944 B.24 St Andre - de - l'Eure  
3 Sep 1944 B.48 Amiens - Glisy  
6 Sep 1944 B.58 Melsbroek  
25 Sep 1944 B.78 Eindhoven  
30 Mar 1945 B.100 Goch  
9 Apr 1945 B.108 Rheine  
12 Apr 1945 B.110 Achmer:  
21 Apr 1945 B.150 Hustedt  
29 May 1945 B.166 Flensburg  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 438. 439 and 440 taken over on formation
2 Oct 1944 No 168 from No 39 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

 1 Jan 1944                    Wg Cdr F W Hillock

xx Jul 1944                    Gp Capt P Y Davoud

xx Jan 1945                    Gp Capt A D Nesbitt

Wing Commander Flying:  -

 1 Jan 1944                     Wg Cdr R Marples

xx Jan 1944                     Wg Cdr R T P Davidson

xx May 1944                   Wg Cdr M T Judd

xx Oct 1944                    Wg Cdr F G Grant


No 144 (RCAF) Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 144 (RCAF) Airfield Headquarters at Digby on 1 February 1944 in No 22 Wing, No 83 Group to control Nos 441, 442 and 443 Squadrons.  On 14 March it moved to Holmsley South, then to Westhampnett on 1 April 1944, where it was transferred to No 17 Wing on 20 April, moving to Funtington the following day, being redesignated No 144 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 144 (RCAF) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Funtington on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 144 Airfield in No 15 Sector, No 83 Group, 2nd TAF, still with Nos 441, 442 and 443 Squadrons but after crossing to the Continent disbanded on 12 Jul 1944.  The table below show its various locations

Date Location Notes
14 May 1944 Ford  
4 Jun 1944 in transit  
13 Jun 1944 B.4 Beny - sur - Mer  
14 Jun 1944 B.3 Ste Croix - sur - Mer  

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Mar 1944                   Wg Cdr J E Walker

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr A D Nesbitt

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Mar 1944                       Wg Cdr J E Johnson


No 145 Airfield/Wing

It was formed as No 145 (French) Airfield Headquarters at Perranporth on 1 February 1944 in No 23 Wing in No 10 Group with Nos 329, 340 and 341 Squadrons but on 12 Apr 1944 was redesignated No 145 Airfield Headquarters following the withdrawal of the majority of the French personnel.  On 14 April it moved to Merston in No 84 Group, where it was transferred to No 19 Wing on 20 April and was redesignated No 145 Wing on 12 May 1944.

No 145 (French) (Fighter) Wing was formed at Merston on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 145 Airfield in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.   After supporting the Allied ground forces through France, Belgium, The Netherlands and into Germany it disbanded on 15 November 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
22 Jun 1944 Funtington  
1 Jul 1944 Selsey  
6 Aug 1944 Tangmere  
19 Aug 1944 B.8 Sommervieu  
2 Sep 1944 B.29 Bernay  
12 Sep 1944 B.51 Lille/Vendeville  
17 Sep 1944 B.55 Courtrai/Wevelghem  
25 Nov 1944 B.70 Antwerp/Deurne  
14 Feb 1945 B.85 Schijdel  
17 Apr 1945 B.105 Drope  
 6 Jul 1945 B.152 Fassberg  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 329, 340 and 341 taken over on formation
17 Jul 1944 No 74 from No 134 Wing
1 Nov 1944 No 345 from No 141 Wing
2 Nov 1944 No 340 to UK
2 Feb 1945 No 341 to UK
8 Feb 1945 No 340 from UK
9 Mar 1945 No 329

No 341

to UK

from UK

30 Apr 1945 No 485 from No 132 Wing
11 May 1945 No 74 to UK
26 Aug 1945 No 485 disbanded
4 Sep 1945 No 453 from No 123 Wing
14 Sep 1945 No 451 from No 123 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr C E Malfroy

xx May 1944                   Wg Cdr A C Deere

xx Jul 1944                      Gp Capt A G Malan

xx Nov 1944                   Gp Capt T L B McGuiness

Wing Commander Flying:  -

xx Apr 1944                   Wg Cdr R Marples (killed in a flying accident  - 26 Apr 1944)

xx Apr1944                   Wg Cdr W V Crawford - Crompton

xx Jan 1945                   Wg Cdr R W F Sampson


No 146 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Tangmere as No 146 Airfield on 31 January 1944 in No 23 Wing in No 11 Group, being transferred to No 84 Group on 10 March and on 20 April to No 20 Wing, being redesignated No 146 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
31 Jan 1944 Beaulieu  
10 Apr 1944 Needs Oar Point  

 

Date Squadron Notes
31 Jan 1944 Nos 183, 197, 257 arrived on formation
2 Mar 1944 No 266 arrived
15 Mar 1944 No 197 to No 123 Airfield
16 Mar 1944 No 609 from No 123 Airfield
17 Mar 1944 No 183

No 198

to No 123 Airfield

from No 123 Airfield

1 Apr 1944 No 609

No 197

to No 123 Airfield

from No 123 Airfield

3 Apr 1944 Nos 198 and 609 to No 123 Airfield
11 Apr 1944 No 193 arrived

No 146 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Needs Oar Point on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 146 Airfield in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF.  After supporting the Allied ground forces through France, Belgium, The Netherlands and into Germany it disbanded on 7 September 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
3 Jul 1944 Hurn  
8 Jul 1944 B.15 Ryes  
8 Jul 1944 B.3 Ste Croix - sur - Mer  
5 Sep 1944 B.23 Thiberville  
6 Sep 1944 B.37 Corroy  
10 Sep 1944 B.51 Lille/Vendeville  
2 Oct 1944 B.70 Antwerp/Deurne  
29 Dec 1944 A.84 Chievres  
14 Feb 1945 B.89 Mill  
17 Apr 1945 B.105 Drope  
30 Apr 1945 B.111 Ahlhorn  
6 Jun 1945 Hildesheim  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 193, 197, 257 and 266 taken over on formation
1 Jul 1944 No 266 to No 136 Wing
20 Jul 1944 No 266 from No 136 Wing
11 Sep 1944 No 263 from UK
5 Mar 1945 No 257 disbanded

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Feb 1944                    Wg Cdr E W W Elllis

xx Jul 1944                     Gp Capt D E Gillam

xx Feb 1945                    Gp Capt J C Wells

Wing Commanders Flying:  -

xx Feb 1944                    Wg Cdr D E Gillam

xx Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr E R Baker (killed in action  - 16 Jun 1944)

xx Jun 1944                    Wg Cdr J R Baldwin

xx Nov 1944                    Wg Cdr J C Wells

xx Feb 1945                    Wg Cdr J H Deall


No 147 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Acklington as No 147 Airfield on 16 Feb 1944 in No 24 Wing, No 12 Group initially without any aircraft but intended to control Nos 322 and 409 Squadrons.  On 10 March it was transferred to No 85 Group and was redesignated No 147 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
1 May 1944 Zeals  

 

Date Squadron Notes
by 23 Apr 1944 No 322 arrived
by 30 Apr 1944 No 409 arrived
23 Apr 1944 No 322 to No 141 Airfield
30 Apr 1944 No 409 left
2 May 1944 No 604 from No 141 Wing
by 1 May 1944 No 488 arrived

No 147 (Night Fighter) Wing was formed at Zeals on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 147 Airfield in No 85 Group, 2nd TAF.  Despite being allocated to No 85 Group, it continued to operate from the UK until March 1945 when it eventually crossed to the Continent, but disbanded on 24 March 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
29 Jun 1944 Hunsdon  
28 Dec 1944 Odiham  
12 Feb 1945 Ibsley  
9 Feb 1945 Advance Party to B.61 St.Denis Westrem  
6 Mar 1945 B.61 St Denis Westrem  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 488 and 604 taken over on formation
4 Jun 1944 No 29 from No 148 Wing
18 Jun 1944 No 410

No 219

from No 141 Wing

arrived

29 Aug 1944 No 29 to ADGB
22 Sep 1944 No 410 to No 149 Wing
10 Oct 1944 No 219 to No 149 Wing
15 Nov 1944 No 488 No 149 Wing
20 Dec 1944 No 264 arrived but based at Odiham

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Mar 1943                    Wg Cdr B Barthold


No 148 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Drem as No 148 Airfield on 23 February 1944 in No 24 Wing, Air Defence of Great Britain to control Nos 29 and 486 Squadrons, being transferred to No 85 Group on 10 March and was redesignated No 148 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
6 May 1944 West Malling  

 

Date Squadron Notes
23 Feb 1944 Nos 29 and 486 arrived on formation
29 Feb 1944 No 91 arrived
6 Mar 1944 No 486 to No 149 Airfield:

No 148 (Night Fighter) Wing was formed at West Malling on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 148 Airfield in No 85 Group, 2nd TAF.   Moving to the Continent in August 1944 it continued to provide night protection for the Base area but with the end of hostilities it was transferred to No 84 Group on 1 June 1945 and disbanded on 25 August 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
19 Jun 1944 Hunsdon  
24 Aug 1944 B.17 Caen - Carpiquet  
27 Sep 1944 B.48 Amiens/Glisy  
4 Oct 1944 B.68 Le Culot  
12 Oct 1944 B.51 Lille/Vendeville  
19 Apr 1945 B.108 Rheine  
14 May 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
6 Jun 1945 B.106 Twente - Enschede  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 29, 91 and 409 taken over on formation
4 Jun 1944 No 29 to No 147 Wing
19 Jun 1944 No 91 No 141 Wing
26 Jul 1944 No 264 from No 143 Wing
24 Sep 1944 No 264 to UK
27 Sep 1944 No 409 to No 149 Wing
 4 Oct 1944 No 409 from No 149 Wing
3 Nov 1944 No 410 from No 149 Wing
31 Dec 1944 No 604 from UK
6 Jan 1945 No 410 to No 149 Wing
8 Jan 1945 No 264 from UK
18 Apr 1945 No 604 disbanded
26 Apr 1945 No 264 to No 149 Wing
8 Jun 1945 No 219 from No 149 Wing
1 Jul 1945 No 409 disbanded
14 Aug 1945 No 219 to UK

Officers Commanding:  -

xx Aug 1943                    Wg Cdr D F B Sheen

xx Dec 1944                    Wg Cdr B Barthold

27 Mar 1945                    Gp Capt J A Leathart

It reformed at Wahn on 1 April 1953 in No 83 Group to control local units, namely Nos 68 and 87 Squadrons, which were joined by No 17 Squadron on 1 July and at some point No 2 Squadron.  On 25 October 1955 No 2 Squadron, followed by No 17 Squadron on 3 April 1957, No 87 on 2 July 1957 and No 68 on 17 July, following which the Wing disbanded on 1 September 1957.

It had reformed at North Coates as No 148 (Air Defence Missile) Wing by 1 May 1960 in No 11 Group to administer Bloodhound SAM squadrons, namely No 264 Squadron (North Coates), No 141 Squadron (Dunholme Lodge and No 222 Squadron (Woodhall Spa).  On 1 June 1961 it was redesignated No 148 (Surface to Air Missile) Wing, then on 1 February 1963 No 148 (SAM) Servicing Wing, by which time it had move to Church Fenton, where it disbanded on 31 May 1964.


No 149 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Castle Camps as No 149 Airfield 1 March 1944 in No 25 Wing, No 85 Group, being transferred to the direct control of No 85 Group on 18 March and was redesignated No 149 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Apr 1944 Deanland  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 1 Mar 1944 No 410 arrived on formation
6 Mar 1944 No 486 arrived
28 Apr 1944 No 410 to Hunsdon
29 Apr 1944 Nos 64, 234 and 611

No 486

arrived

to No 150 Airfield

No 149 (Long Range Fighter) Wing was formed at Deanland on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 149 Airfield in No 85 Group, 2nd TAF, crossing to the Continent in September, where it was based in France and Holland until it disbanded on 9 June 1945.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
29 Jun 1944 Zeals  
28 Jul 1944 Colerne  
7 Sep 1944 in transit  
20 Sep 1944 B.48 Amiens - Glisy  
5 Apr 1945 B.77 Gilze - Rijen  
8 Apr 1945 Rear Party to B.51 Lille - Vendeville  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 64, 234 and 611 taken over on formation
19 Jun 1944 No 234 left
23 Jun 1944 Nos 64 and 611 left
29 Jun 1944 Nos 410 and 488 arrived
 9 Sep 1944 No 410 to No 147 Wing
22 Sep 1944 No 410 from No 147 Wing
27 Sep 1944 No 409 from No 148 Wing
4 Oct 1944 No 409 to No 148 Wing
3 Nov 1944 No 410 to No 148 Wing;
10 Oct 1944 No 219 from No 147 Wing
15 Nov 1944 No 488 from No 147 Wing
6 Jan 1945 No 410 from No 148 Wing
26 Apr 1945 No 488

No 264

disbanded

from No 148 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

xx xxx 1944                    Gp Capt V R Moon


No 150 Airfield/Wing

It was formed at Bradwell Bay as No 150 Airfield 8 Mar 1944 in No 25 Wing, No 83 Group, being transferred to No 85 Group on 8 March and was redesignated No 150 Wing on 12 May 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
28 Apr 1944 Newchurch  

 

Date Squadron Notes
 8 Mar 1944 Nos 3 and 488 arrived on formation
28 Apr 1944 No 56 from No 142 Airfield
29 Apr 1944 No 486 from No 149 Airfield
3 May 1944 No 488 left

No 150 (Fighter) Wing was formed at Newchurch on 12 May 1944 by redesignating No 150 Airfield in No 83 Group, 2nd TAF, being transferred to No 11 Group on 8 Sep 1944, exchanging squadrons with No 122 Wing.  On 23 December it was placed under the direct control Fighter Command and disbanded on 8 March 1945.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location Notes
19 Sep 1944 Matlask  
15 Oct 1944 Andrews Field  

 

Date Squadron Notes
12 May 1944 Nos 3, 56 and 486 taken over on formation
 8 Sep 1944 Nos 3, 56 and 486

Nos 19. 65 and 122

to No 122 Wing

from No 122 Wing

1 Jan 1945 No 19 left
15 Jan 1945 No 65

No 316

left

from No 133 Wing

Officers Commanding:  -

28 Apr 1944                    Wg Cdr R F Aitken

Wing Commander Flying:  -

15 Nov 1943                    Wg Cdr R P Beamont


No 151 Wing

This was formed at Leconfield on 26 July 1941 as No 151 (Fighter) Wing for service with "Force Benedict", which was to operate the Hurricanes of Nos 81 and 134 Squadrons from bases in northern Russia.  It moved to Hendon in August before sailing for Russia, arriving at Archangel on 30 August, moving on to Vaenga on 7 September 1941.  After taking part in a number of operations and also training Russian pilots and ground crew the Wing returned to UK on 16 November leaving the Hurricanes, which were handed over to the Soviet Navy and disbanded on 24 November 1941.

It reformed at Habbaniya on 10 March 1944 by redesignating No 119 (Transport) Wing as No 151 (Transport) Wing and disbanded into AHQ Iraq on 1 June 1946.

It reformed at North Luffenham as No 151 (Air Defence Missile) Wing on 1 October 1959  to administer Bloodhound surface - to - air missile squadrons, namely No 62 Squadron (Woolfox Lodge), No 257 Squadron (Warboys).  On 1 June 1961 it was redesignated No 151 (Surface to Air Missile) Wing in No 12 Group, still with Nos 62 and 257 Squadrons and on 30 December 1962 was redesignated No 151 (SAM) Servicing Wing, ceasing to function in an operationally capacity.  Support of No 242 Squadron at Marham and No 266 Squadron at Rattlesden, both equipped with Thor intermediate rang ballistic missile was taken over on 31 March 1963 but on 30 June 1964, both the Wing and squadrons ceased being operational and it disbanded on 30 September 1964.


No 152 Wing

This was formed at Predannack on 15 April 1944 as No 152 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 19 Group to control operations local areas of the English Channel during the period up to, during and immediately following invasion and disbanded on 7 September 1944.

Squadron Dates
No 179 24 Apr 1944 - 6 Sep 1944
No 311 15 Apr 1944 - 7 Aug 1944
No 524 15 Apr 1944 - 1 Jul 1944

No 153 Wing

Originally planned to form at Lasham in April 1943 within No 83 Group as No 153 (Bomber) Wing, but the proposal was not proceeded with.

It eventually formed at Portreath on 15 April 1944 as No 153 (General Reconnaissance) Wing  in No 19 Group to control operations local areas of the English Channel during the period up to, during and immediately following invasion and disbanded on 14 September 1944. Squadrons:  :  .

Squadron Dates
No 235 15 Apr 1944 - 6 Sep 1944
No 248 15 Apr 1944 - 10 Sep 1944

No 154 Wing

Originally planned to form at Stoney Cross in April 1943 within No 83 Group as No 154 (Reconnaissance) Wing with Nos 402 and 404 ASP and No 404 RSUs, but the proposal was not proceeded with.

It eventually formed at Strubby on 15 April 1944 as No 154 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 16 Group to control operations local areas of the North Sea during the period up to, during and immediately following invasion and disbanded on 7 Sep 1944. Squadrons. .

Squadron Dates
No 144 4 Jul 1944 - 3 Sep 1944
No 280 1 May 1944 - 6 Sep 1944
No 404 1 Jul 1944 - 4 Sep 1944

No 155 Wing

This was formed at Manston on 22 April 1944 as No 155 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 16 Group to control operations in local areas of the Straits of Dover during the period up to, during and immediately following invasion and disbanded on 19 September 1944.

Squadron Dates
No 119 19 Jul 1944 - 8 Aug 1944
No 143 18 May 1944 - 8 Sep 1944
No 143 det 1 May 1944 - 6 May 1944
No 236 det 8 Jun 1944 - 2 Jul 1944
No 415 det Apr 1944 - Jun 1944
No 489 det 6 Jun 1944 - Jun 1944
No 819 FAA 18 Apr 1944 - 1 Aug 1944
No 848 FAA 20 Apr 1944 - 13 Jun 1944

No 156 Wing

It was formed at Harrowbeer on 22 April 1944 as No 156 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 19 Group to control operations local areas of the English Channel by Nos 838 (RN) Squadron during the period up to, during and immediately following invasion and disbanded on 8 August 1944, the HQ was in Knightstone House on the corner of the airfield.


No 157 Wing

This was formed at Hawkinge on 17 May 1944 as No 157 (General Reconnaissance) Wing in No 16 Group to control operations local areas of the English Channel and North Sea by Nos 119, 819 (RN), 854 (RN) and 855 (RN) Squadrons during the period up to, during and after following invasion.  In August 1944 it moved to the Continent, returning to the UK in May 1945 and disbanding on 25 May 1945.  The table below shows the Wing's movements and locations after formation.

Date Location
8 Aug 1944 Swingfield
30 Sep 1944 in transit via Sheerness
23 Oct 1944 Bircham Newton
18 Aug 1944 detachment to 55 Transit Camp, Belhus Park, near Aveley, Essex
24 Aug 1944 embarked
25 Aug 1944 B.63 Bruges/St Croix
14 Dec 1944 B.83 Knocke - le - Zout (attached to No 149 Wing)
24 May 1945 Bircham Newton

No 158 Wing

This may have been planned to form as No 158 (General Reconnaissance) Wing at Perranporth to control Nos 849 and 850 (RN) Squadrons from April to July 1944, but there is no evidence that this actually took place.


No 159 Wing

This was formed at Villiers - le - Sec on 4 September 1944 as No 159 (Barrage Balloon) Wing in No 85 Group to administer all AEAF balloon units on the Continent, initially comprising Nos 974, 976, 980, 991 Squadrons and No 104 Flight.  On 15 November 1944 the Rear Party formed at Cardington for 2nd TAF with Nos 965 and 967 "LZ" Squadrons.  The Wing was placed under No 85 Group on 12 December and disbanded on 31 May 1945.  The tables below show its movements and locations.

 

Date Main HQ
7 Nov 1944 250 Chaussee der Fronchiennes, Ghent
9 Nov 1944 Usine de Verbrugge Freres Braed Straat, St.Nickolas, Antwerp
26 Nov 1944 St.Jozefienen Convent, 15 Richard Van Britsenstraat, St.Nickolas, Antwerp
23 Apr 1945 Knocke - le - Zout
by 1 Apr 1945 forward detachment at Druft
25 Apr 1945 Druft
22 May 1945 St.Nickolas, Antwerp

No 160 Wing

This was formed at B.152 Fassberg in August 1945 as No 160 (Belgian) (Fighter) Wing in No 84 Group, 2nd TAF  to administer Nos 349 and 350 Squadrons, being transferred to the Belgian Air Force on 24 October 1946, moving to Beauvechain the following day, where it was redesignated No 1 Wing, Belgian Air Force on 15 November 1946.

(2) Reformed 23 Mar 1956 at Hornchurch in No 61 Group; Nov 1956 to Lyneham; Dec 1956 to CHRISTMAS ISLAND for hydrogen bomb tests: Redesignated RAF Christmas Island Reinforcement Party 1 Sep 1957. [see also Task Force 'Grapple']


Nos 161 to 163 Wings

These were possibly planned to have been formed in 1942 as No 161 (Light Bomber) Wing, No 162 (Fighter) Wing and No 163 (Army Co - operation) Wing in Burma, but there is no evidence that they ever formed.


No 164 Wing

The nucleus of this Wing formed at Newbold Revel on 4 May 1942 as No 164 (Signals) Wing for service in India, officially 'standing up' at Delhi  on 14 August 1942 in No 226 Group.  Detachments were operated at Abbotabad up to 13 January 1945 and at Jalahalli from March 1945.  The Main HQ joined its detachment at Jalahalli on 26 April but returned to Delhi on 31 May.   A detachment returned to Jalahalli on 8 June 1945 then moved to Ranchi on 31 July 1945.  By July 1945 it controlled Nos 355, 357, 358, 367, 368 and 370 Wireless Units and on 1 August re - formed at Rangoon in No 221 Group under SEAC to monitor the Signals Intelligence service and by 5 October 1945 had been transferred to the control of AHQ Burma, disbanding on 30 April 1946.


No 165 Wing

This was formed at Dum Dum on 1 October 1942 as No 165 (Tactical) Wing in No 224 Group, initially comprising Nos 27, 79 and 136 Squadrons, also No 3 PRU, No 39 ASP and No 60 RSU.  It was transferred to No 221 Group on 1 December then back to No 224 Group on 3 January 1943 and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Comilla on 1 October 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
3 Jan 1943 Chittagong
1 Mar 1943 Ramu
31 May 1943 Comilla
29 Oct 1943 Ramu
28 - 30 - Jan 1944 Nazir
23 Feb 1944 Jaliapalong
2 - 24 May 1944 Comilla

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 Mar 1943 - 21 Apr 1943
No 20 24 Dec 1943 - 20 Jan 1944, 25 Feb 1944 - 25 May 1944
No 67 det 3 May 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 67 5 Jul 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
No 79 21 Jan 1943 - 18 Jul 1943
No 135 Mar 1943
No 136 det 2 May 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 136 1 Dec 1943 - 7 Dec 1943, 20 Dec 1943 - 11 Mar 1944
No 146 det 16 Mar 1943, 5 May 1943 - 1 Jun 1943
No 146 1 Jun 1943 - 30 Nov 1943
No 152 17 Apr 1944 - 6 Jul 1944
No 215 det 10 May 1943 - 13 May 1943
No 215 25 May 1943 - May 1943
No 258 12 Jul 1943 - 4 Nov 1943
No 261 det Mar 1943, 15 Dec 1943 - 22 Feb 1944
No 607 30 Nov 1943 - 17 Apr 1944
No 615 24 Feb 1944 - 19 Mar 1944
No 9 IAF 29 May 1944 - 10 Jul 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

 1 Oct 1942                Wg Cdr A S Forbes

xx Mar 1944               ?

xx xxx 1944                Wg Cdr R E Drake

Squadron Leaders - Flying: -

xx xxx xxxx                 Sqn Ldr P H Lee

30 Apr 1944               Sqn Ldr I Bayles

25 Aug 1944               Sqn Ldr R W R Day

It reformed at Whitehall Gardens, London on 25 July 1958 in No 12 Group, moving to Bentley Priory, Stanmore on 5 August 1959 then back to Whitehall Gardens, London on 6 October, where it was redesignated Tactical Air Reserve Planning Cell on 1 January 1962.


No 166 Wing

This was formed at Jessore on 1 October 1942 as No 166 (Tactical) Wing in No 224 Group as an Offensive Fighter HQ initially comprising Nos 135, 607 and 615 Squadrons as well as No 87 ASP and No 125 RSU and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Chittagong on 1 October 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
9 Dec 1942 Feni
24 Jan 1943 Chittagong

 

Squadron Dates
No 30 Mar 1944
No 45 26 Jun 1943 - 14 Jul 1943
No 67 25 Mar 1943 - 30 Nov 1943
No 79 6 Dec 1943 - 20 Jan 1944, 25 Mar 1944 - 26 May 1944
No 82 det 31 May 1943.27 Jun 1943
No 89 det 22 Sep 1944 - 6 Dec 1944
No  110 12 May 1943 - 31 May 1943
No  117 det 1 Sep 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No  136 27 Dec 1942 - xx xxx xxxx, 20 Apr 1944 - 1 Aug 1944
No 146 det 9 Apr 1943 - Oct 1943
No 152 21 Feb 1944 - 17 Jul 1944
No 176 det 2 Feb 1944 - 20 Jun 1944
No 177 13 Aug 1943 - 21 Aug 1943
No 258 13 Dec 1943 - 24 Jan 1944
No 261 22 Jun 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 273 9 Jul 1944 - 26 Aug 1944
No 607 1 Oct 1942 - 1 Apr 1943
No 615 1 Oct 1942 - 3 May 1943, 23 Oct 1943 - 13 Dec 1943
No 9 IAF 29 May 1944 - 10 Jul 1944, 23 Sep 1944 - 6 Dec 1944
459th USAAF 1 Mar 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
530th USAAF 11 May 1944 - xx xxx xxxx

Officers Commanding:  -

 1 Oct 1942               Wg Cdr M M Stephen

12 Apr 1943              Wg Cdr N J Mowat

13 Dec 1943              Wg Cdr R F Boyd

17 Mar 1944             Sqn Ldr A N W Johnstone (Temp)

28 Mar 1944             Wg Cdr/Gp Capt A S Forbes

14 Aug 1944              Gp Capt J B Lynch

Wing Commanders/Squadron Leaders - Flying: -

23 Oct 1943              Wg Cdr R F Boyd

15 Dec 1943              Sqn Ldr A N Johnstone

It reformed at Anand Parbat, Delhi on 1 August 1945 as No 166 (Signals) Wing in No 227 Group to provide a Signals Intelligence service and disbanded on 31 March 1946.


No 167 Wing

This was formed at Asansol on 1 October 1942 as No 167 (Tactical) Wing in No 221 Group  initially comprising Nos 34, 60 and 113 Squadrons as well as No 91 ASP and No 122 RSU.  On 24 December it was transferred to No 224 Group and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Cox's Bazar on 1 October 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

 

Date Location
10 - 20 Dec 1942 Jessore
12 Feb 1943 Feni
6 - 12 Oct 1943 Dohazari
18 - 21 Jan 1944 Ramu
14 Jun 1944 Cox's Bazar

 

Squadron Dates
No 11 9 Jan 1943 - 11 Aug 1943
No 20 25 May 1944 - 23 Jul 1944
No 34 1 Oct 1942 - 1 Mar 1943
No 60 1 Oct 1942 - 15 May 1943
No 62 Dec 1942
No 67 9 Aug 1943 - 25 May 1944
No 82 9 Aug 1943 - 25 May 1944
No 113 1 Oct 1942 - 27 Aug 1943
No 134 5 May 1944 - 27 May 1944
No 177 21 Aug 1943 - xx xxx 1944
No 177 det 3-11 Apr 1944
No 258 4 Nov 1943 - 13 Dec 1943
No 258 det 15 Oct 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 261 16 Oct 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 273 det 30 Jul 1944 - 26 Aug 1944
No 273 26 Aug 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
No 293 det 7 - 12 Oct 1944
No 615 13 Dec 1943 - 24 Feb 1944
No 4 IAF 4 Jul 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 6 IAF 27 May 1944 - 29 Jun 1944
No 8 IAF 13 Dec 1943 - 16 Jul 1944
No 9 IAF 1 Sep 1944  - 23 Sep 1944
No 9 IAF det 23 Sep 1944  - 1 Oct 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

 1 Oct 1942                Gp Capt L T Keens


No 168 Wing

This was formed at Ondal on 1 November 1942 as No 168 (Tactical) Wing in No 221 Group  comprising Nos 20, 84 and 110 Squadrons as well as No 96 ASP and No 82 RSU and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Kumbhirgram on 1 October 1944.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
4 Nov 1942 Pandaveswar
6 Dec 1942 Madhaiganj
16 Feb 1943 Asansol
12 - 25 May 1943 Digri
29 - 30 Oct 1943 Kumbhirgram

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 1 Jun 1943 - xx xxx xxxx, 13 Aug 1943 - 23 Sep 1943
No 45 12 Feb 1943 - 19 Oct 1943 and 22 - 30 Sep 1944
No 60 2 Jul 1944 - 20 Sep 1944
No 81 1 May 1944 - 8 Aug 1944
No 82 10 Feb 1943 - 9 Aug 1943
No 82 det 19 Mar 1944 - 9 Apr 1944
No 84 10 Feb 1944 - 18 Mar 1944
No 99 det 24 Jun 1944 - 1 Jul 1944
No 110 1 Nov 1942 - 6 Jun 1944
No 146 7 Sep 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 211 29 Dec 1943 - 4 Feb 1944
No 261 2 - 30 Sep 1944
No 2 IAF 3 Jun 1943
No 7 IAF 21 Mar 1944 - 13 Jun 1944
No 1582 Flt 25 Aug 1943 - 15 Jan 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

 1 Nov 1942                Wg Cdr/Gp Capt A Hunt

 1 May 1943                Gp Capt J B Black

 9 May 1944                Gp Capt E A Whitely


No 169 Wing

This was formed at Agartala on 3 October 1942 as No 169 (Tactical) Wing on a mobile basis in No 224 Group (later No 221 Group)  initially comprising Nos 5 and 155 Squadrons as well as No 92 ASP and No 130 RSU, returning to No 224 Group on 27 January 1944 and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Chiringa on 1 October 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
11 - 17 Feb 1944 Feni
7 - 12 Jul 1944 Chittagong
28 Jul 1944 Chiringa

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 3 Oct 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 17 29 May 1943 - 26 Aug 1943
No 27 8 Feb 1943 - 15 Mar 1944
No 28 7 Jul 1943 - 1 Sep 1943
No 30 22 Jan 1944 - 27 May 1944
No 60 11 Nov 1943 - 18 Dec 1943, 20 Jan 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 113 det 20 Apr 1943 - 3 Jun 1943
No 155 29 Oct 1942 - 4 Mar 1943, 6 Jul 1943 - 5 Sep 1943
No 177 Oct 1943 - 28 May 1944, 10 Aug 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 211 4 Feb 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
No 615 17 - 27 Oct 1942
12th USAAF 9 Jun 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
35th USAAF 12 - 14 Jun 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

 3 Nov 1942            Wg Cdr P E Meagher

10 Feb 1943           Wg Cdr T A F Elsdon

xx Aug 1943            ?

xx Oct 1943            Gp Capt C M Champion de Crispigny


No 170 Wing

This was formed at Pandaveswar and Salbani on 1 October 1942 as No 170 (Medium Bomber) (Mobile) Wing in No 221 Group initially comprising Nos 99, 159 and 215 Squadrons as well as No 90 ASP and No 123 RSU becoming wholly based at Pandaveswar on 15 October and was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Imphal on 1 October 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
2 - 4 Mar 1943 Silchar
4 - 9 Jun 1943 Imphal

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 6 Dec 1943 - Apr 1944
No 11 2 Mar 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 20 det 4 Mar 1943 - 24 Apr 1943, 15 May 1944 - 7 Aug 1944
No 28 det 4 Mar 1943 - 7 Jul 1943, 1 Sep 1943 - 26 Oct 1943, 7 Apr 1944 - 13 Jun 1944
No 28 26 Oct 1943 - 7 Apr 1944
No 34 1 Mar 1943 - 1 May 1943, 1 Nov 1943 - Apr 1944, 23 Jul 1944 - 7 Sep 1944
No 42 14 Mar 1943 - 10 Nov 1943, 18 Dec 1943 - 30 Sep 1944
No 45 19 Oct 1943 - 11 Feb 1944
No 81 4 Jan 1944 - 1 May 1944
No 99 1 Oct 1942 - 4 Mar 1943
No 110 xx xxx xxxx -  20 Oct 1943, Oct 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 113 30 Dec 1943 - Feb 1944, 15 Mar 1944 - 7 Sep 1944
No 123 8 - 19 Jan 1944,
No 136 Jan 1944 - 20 Apr 1944
No 146 Oct 1943
No 152 5 - 30 Sep 1944
No 155 4 Mar 1943 - 6 Jul 1943, 5 Sep 1943 - 6 Jan 1944, 11 Aug 1944 - 7 Sep 1944
No 159 1 Oct 1942 - 4 Mar 1943
No 160 15 Nov 1942 - 2 Mar 1943
No 176 8 Mar 1944 - 20 Jun 1944
No 177 5 - 17 Aug 1944
No 258 Oct 1943
No 607 27 Apr 1944 - 8 Jul 1944
No 615 8 May 1944 - 10 Aug 1944
No 1 IAF 30 Jan 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 1582 Flt 15 Jan 1944 - 24 Mar 1944

Officers Commanding

 1 Oct 1942            Gp Capt R C Wilson

xx Oct 1942            Gp Capt G Seaton Broughall

xx Feb 1944            Wg Cdr H G Goddard

 2 May 1944           Wg Cdr P H Lee


No 171 Wing

This was formed at Ranchi on 25 November 1942 as No 171 (Army Co-operation) Wing in No 221Group initially comprising Nos 20 and 28 Squadrons as well as No 2 Squadron IAF.  On 10 December it was transferred to AHQ Bengal and on 17 March 1943 to No 221 Group, until moving to Yelahanka, when it joined No 225 Group.  On 9 September 1943 it was redesignated No 171 (Reconnaissance) Wing, being transferred to SEAC on 15 November and on moving to Comilla to No 230 Group.  It was redesignated again on 20 December as No 171 (Photographic Reconnaissance) Wing, becoming the nucleus of the PR Force and disbanded into RAF Alipore on 30 September 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
2 May 1943 Yelahanka
2 Jun 1943 Cholavarum
14 Jun 1943 Detachment to Kolar
27 Jun 1943 Detachment to Yelahanka
5 Jul 1943 Detachments returned to Cholavarum
1 - 5 Aug 1943 Kajamalai (Trichinopoly)
5 - 8 Nov 1943 Sulur
21 Nov 1943 in transit
13 Dec 1943 Comilla
28 Jan 1944 Bally
6 May 1945 Alipore

 

Squadron Dates
No 20 24 Dec 1942 - 7 May 1943
No 28 25 Nov 1942 - Apr 1943
No 34 det Jul 1943 - 15 Aug 1943
No 110 det 20 Apr 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 258 20 - 27 Jun 1943
No 681 20 Dec 1943 - 30 Sep 1944
No 684 20 Dec 1943 - 30 Sep 1944
No 1 IAF 20 Jan 1943 - 1 Apr 1943
No 2 IAF 8 Dec 1942 - 22 Nov 1943
No 4 IAF 9 - 20 Nov 1943
No 6 IAF 3 Jun 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 231 GCF 6 May 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 22 AACU B Flt 6 May 1944 - 16 Sep 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

25 Nov 1942                Wg Cdr J B Nicholson VC

xx Aug 1943                 Wg Cdr T R Pierce

xx Nov 1943                 Wg Cdr S G Wise


No 172 Wing

This was formed at Bungalow 41, St Thomas Mount on 18 October 1942 as No 172 (Composite) Wing in No 225 Group initially comprising No 82 Squadron as well as No 88 ASP and No 127 RSU and also administered No 240 Flying Boat squadron.  It disbanded on 1 December 1944 being replaced by Base HQ Madras and SHQ St Thomas Mount.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
27 Nov 1942 Avadi
11 - 15 Sep 1943 St Thomas Mount
10 Feb 1944 Avadi

 

Squadron Dates
No 11 30 Sep 1943 - 1 Dec 1943
No 20 20 Sep 1944 - 19 Dec 1944
No 27 30 Mar 1944 - Oct 1944
No 30 Mar 1944 - 10 Oct 1944
No 34 1 May 1943 - 1 Nov 1943
No 36 Jan 1943 - Apr 1943
No 42 1 Nov 1942 - 12 Mar 1943, 10 Nov 1943 - 20 Dec 1943
No 45 1 Nov 1942 - 11 Mar 1943
No 60 15 May 1943 - 13 Aug 1943, Aug 1943 - 11 Nov 1943
No 82 18 Oct 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 84 6 Nov 1942 - 18 Apr 1943
No 89 det 16 Nov 1943 - 12 Aug 1944
No 113 20 Oct 1943 - 1 Dec 1943
No 123 13 May 1944 - Sep 1944
No 135 22 May 1943 - Jul 1943, 22 Nov 1943 - 16 Jan 1944
No 146 25 Feb 1944 - 27 May 1944, 22 Aug 1944 - 6 Sep 1944
No 160 29 Nov 1943 - 5 Dec 1943
No 176 18 Aug 1944 - 1 Dec 1944
No 191 Aug 1943
No 200 29 Mar 1944 - 1 Dec 1944
No 205 det Jan 1944
No 215 det 18 - 22 Oct 1942
No 240 18 Oct 1942 - 1 Dec 1944
No 258 22 May 1944 - Aug 1944, 8 Oct 1944 - Nov 1944
No 261 22 Aug 1944 - 2 Sep 1944
No 321 det Apr 1943 - Aug 1943
No 413 det Sep 1943 - Jan 1944
No 628 21 Mar 1944 - 1 Dec 1944
No 1 IAF 9 - 21 Dec 1942
No 21 APC xx xxx xxxx - 31 Mar 1944
No 22 AACU 'C 'Flt 27 Jul 1943  - 1 Dec 1944

Officers Commanding:  -

18 Oct 1942                Wg Cdr E C Lewis


No 173 Wing

This was formed at Kajamalai (Trichinopoly) on 25 November 1942 as No 172 (Composite, later Naval Co-operation) Wing in No 225 Group, with a detachment at Bombay to control all the units in the  Trichinopoly/Bombay area except for GR squadrons, initially comprising Nos 1, 6 and 8 Squadrons IAF.  Between 3 - 19 October 1943 it moved to Charbatia/Cuttack, where it disbanded on 1 March 1945 by being redesignated RAF Cuttack.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 

Squadron Dates
No 20 det 4 - 28 Sep 1944
No 60 det 2 - 4 Aug 1943
No 135 det 14 Jun 1944 - 21 Jul 1944
No 200 det 20 Oct 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 273 8 Mar 1943 - Mar 1943
No 354 det 28 Oct 1942 - 2 Nov 1942, 17 - 22 Dec 1942
No 354 19 Oct 1943 - 6 Oct 1944, 6 Jan 1945 - 1 Mar 1945
No 1 IAF 24 Dec 1942 - 20 Jan 1943
No 2 IAF 3 Jun 1943 - 22 Nov 1943
No 6 IAF 2 Aug 1943 - 6 Sep 1943
No 8 IAF 24 Dec 1942 - 16 Jun 1943

Officers Commanding:  -

 25 Nov 1942                Wg Cdr J B M Wallis


No 175 Wing

This was formed at Cuttack on 1 October 1942 as No 175 (General Reconnaissance, later Naval Co - operation) Wing in No 221 Group initially comprising Nos 62 and 353 Squadrons as well as No 94 ASP and No 129 RSU.  On 17 January 1944 it was transferred to No 231 Group, being redesignated No 175 (Medium Bomber) Wing on 31 May 1944 and then No 175 (Heavy Bomber) Wing on 31 October 1944, now in No 222 Group.  It disbanded on 30 September 1945 into SHQ RAF Cocos Islands.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
18 - 19 Feb 1943 Jessore
12 Sep 1944 Dhubalia
17 Jul 1945 sailed in Dilwara
29 Jul 1945 arrived Cocos Island

 

Squadron Dates
No 36 25 Mar 1943 - 12 Jun 1943
No 62 1 Oct 1942 - 23 Jan 1943
No 99 17 May 1943 - 30 Sep 1945
No 136 Aug 1945
No 203 1 - 28 Aug 1945
No 215 16 Mar 1943 - 13 Sep 1944, 20 Dec 1944 - 5 May 1945
No 292 Jul 1944
No 321 1 Aug 1945 - Sep 1945
No 353 1 Oct 1942 - 20 Mar 1943
No 356 30 Jul 1945 - 30 Sep 1945
No 357 15 Sep 1944 - xx xxx 1945
No 684 Jul 1945 - 30 Sep 1945
No 10 IAF 26 Sep 1944 - 26 Oct 1944

Officers Commanding

xx xxx xxxx            Gp Capt J L Wingate


No 176 Wing

This was shown in SD 155s dated 16 Jun 1942 and 16 Jan 1943 as due to be established in India as a GR Wing to be equipped with ASV Wellingtons but was cancelled.


No 177 Wing

This was formed at Risalpur on 1 October 1943 as No 177 (Transport) Wing in No 223 Group with Nos 31, 62. 117 and 194 Squadrons  On 10 January 1944 it moved to  Rawalpindi, then between 21 February and 15 March 1944 to Agartala in No 224 Group, where it was redesignated RAF Wing HQ Agartala on 1 October 1944.

Officers Commanding

 1 Oct 1943            Gp Capt G F K Donaldson


No 178 Wing

This was shown in SD 155s dated 17 Sep 1942 and 16 Jan 1943, as due to be formed in India to control 3 long-range fighter squadrons but was cancelled.


No 179 Wing

This was formed at Karachi Airport on 9 October 1942 as No 179 (Ferry) Wing to control Nos 21, 22 and 23 Ferry Controls.  On 25 March 1943 it was incorporated into Transport Command, moving to Mauripur between 15-26 Apr 1943 and disbanded on 30 November 1943 on the formation of No 229 Group.


No 180 Wing

This was formed at Calcutta on 9 Jun 1943 by redesignating No 280 Wing as No 180 (Signals) Wing under AHQ Bengal.  On 22 July 1943 it assumed operational control of various AMES and Wireless Units in No 221 Group in order to provide early warning of enemy aircraft in the Calcutta area   It also controlled No 1581 Flight and on 18 August 1943 was placed under No 293 (Fighter) Wing in No 221 Group.  In March 1945 it moved to Alipore, with a Forward detachment at Akyab from June to November 1945 and disbanded on 30 December 1945.


No 181 Wing

This was formed at Imphal and Masimpur in No 221 Group on 9 June 1943 as No 180 (Signals) Wing under AHQ Bengal to take control of AMES, Wireless Units and Wireless Observer Units in the Surma and Imphal valleys and No 1582 Flight.  On 3 July 1945 it was placed under the direct control of AHQ Burma and disbanded on 10 March 1946. The table below show its various locations.

Date Main HQ Rear HQ Advanced HQ
25 Oct 1943 Masimpur element withdrawn    
by 1 Nov 1943   Silchar  
8 Feb 1944   Imphal:  
7 Jun 1944   Gungar  
30 Oct 1944 to 29 Apr 1945 Imphal    
20 Jan 1945     Kalemyo
21 Feb 1945 Monywa    
29 Apr 1945 Meiktila Myingyan Rangoon to 19 May 1945
3 Jul 1945 Rangoon    
by 14 Nov 1945 Myingyan    

No 182 Wing

This was formed at Routh Road, Chittagong on 1 August 1943 as No 182 (Signals) Wing under AHQ Bengal  to control AMES and Wireless Observer Units in the No 224 Group area and included No 1583 Flight.  It detached and Advanced HQ to Akyab from between 3-11 February to 20 May 1945, with the Main HQ later moving to Observation Hill, Chittagong.  On 13 June an Advance Party moved to Sambre with the main party arriving on 18 July, where it was redesignated No 2 Base Signals Repair Unit, Singapore Island on 1 August 1945.


No 183 Wing

This was formed at Ridgeway, Colombo, Ceylon on 26 November 1943 as No 183 (Signals) Wing in No 222 Group, commencing operations on 1 January 1944 controlling all the AMES in the 222 Group and disbanded on 31 December 1945.


No 184 Wing

This was formed at Salbani on 23 July 1943 as No 184 (Heavy Bomber) Wing in No 221 Group.  It moved to Digri on 25 November, being transferred to No 231 Group on 15 December, returning to Salbani on 10 January 1944.  On 1 August 1945 it was transferred to AHQ Burma and finally to No 228 Group on 1 November and was redesignated RAF Salbani on 20 November 1945, with the Advance HQ at Pegu becoming a detachment of SHQ Hmawbi.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 23 Jul 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 20 1 Dec 1943 - 24 Dec 1943
No 31 23 Jul 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 42 6-17 Dec 1943
No 113 23 Sep 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 134 det 30 May 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 159 23 Jul 1943 - 27 Jan 1944, 27 Feb 1944 - 10 Mar 1944, 1 Jul 1945 - 20 Nov 1945
No 160 det 30 Apr 1944
No 355 18 Aug 1943 - 20 Nov 1945
No 356 15 Jan 1944 - 20 Jul 1945
No 357 1-25 Feb 1944
No 8 IAF 3-13 Dec 1943
No 10 IAF det 4-29 Aug 1944
No 23 APC 19 Apr 1944 - 3 Sep 1944
No 1354 Flt Jul 1945 - xx xxx xxxx
No 1576 Flt xx xxx xxxx - 26 Jan 1944
No 1577 Flt 12 Oct 1943 - 4 Mar 1944
No 1584 Flt 23 Jul 1943 - xx xxx xxxx

Officers Commanding

23 Jul 1943            Gp Capt R C Wilson


No 185 Wing

This was formed at Kalaikundah on 23 August 1943 as No 185 (Offensive Fighter) Wing in No 221 Group but on 1 October it was decided to change it to No 185 (Heavy Bomber) Wing, forming as such at Feni in No 224 Group.  Between 14-21 November it was transferred to No 221 Group then to No 231 Group on 17 January 1944, moving to Dhubalia between 19-29 February.  It returned to Digri between 11-15 April then to Bilaspur on 1 July 1945, where it was redesignated No 185 (Transport) Wing in No 227 Group, being transferred to No 228 Group on 5 August.  Further moves took it to Mingaladon between 16-24 August, then to  Penang on 5 September, where it disbanded on 17 December 1945, being absorbed into RAF Butterworth.  The table below show the units assigned to it.

 

Squadron Dates
No 27 det 19 Sep 1945 - xx xxx xxxx
No 28 2 Dec 1945 - xx xxx xxxx
No 96 1 Jul 1945 - xx xxx xxxx
No 159 27 Jan 1944 - 27 Feb 1944, 10 Mar 1944 - 1 Jul 1945
No 215 13 Sep 1944 - 20 Dec 1944
No 321 det 16 - 19 Sep 1945
No 357 25 Feb 1944 - 15 Sep 1944
No 358 3 Jan 1945 - Jun 1945
No 22 AACU 'B' Flt 16 Aug 1944 - Apr 1945
DDT Flt 10 Mar 1945 - May 1945
No 1341 Flt 14 Feb 1945 - 15 Oct 1945
No 1576 Flt 26 Jan 1944 - 1 Feb 1944

Officers Commanding

23 Aug 1943           Wg Cdr T A F Elsdon

xx Nov 1943           Gp Capt N C Singer


No 186 Wing

This was formed at No 62A Free School Street, Calcutta on 30 August 1943 by redesignating the Bengal Maintenance Wing as No 186 (Maintenance) Wing in No 226 Group.  On 15 December it was placed under No 230 Group, moving to Barrackpore on 10 March 1944 and disbanded on 20 July 1944.


No 187 Wing

This was formed at Peshawar on 23 August 1943 by redesignating Maintenance Wing North-West India as No 187 (Maintenance) Wing in No 223 Group to take over the responsibility of all field repair and salvage and equipment supply in NW India and disbanded 15 July 1945.


No 188 Wing

This was to have formed as Southern India Maintenance Wing but instead formed at Bangalore on 1 September 1943 as No 188 (Maintenance) Wing in No 226 Group and was tasked with responsibility for the control of  Repair and Salvage Units and Air Stores Parks in southern India, excluding Ceylon.  It initially comprised Nos 5 and 6 Repair and Salvage Sections and No 88 Equipment Park and following a reorganisation on 21 August 1944 became responsible for the allotment of replacement aircraft, from No 336 MU and also No 355 MU when it was formed, for squadrons in Nos 222, 225 and 227 Groups in Ceylon and Southern India.  In March 1945 it took over the responsibility for additional areas up the east coast of India to the Bay of Bengal and disbanded 15 July 1945, its responsibilities being taken over by No 226 Group.


No 189 Wing

This was formed at Palel on 25 November 1943 as No 189 (Offensive Fighter) Wing in No 221 Group, moving to Imphal on 11 December, back to Palel in January 1944, to Silchar between 9-14 February, returning to Palel on 4 September, where it was redesignated RAF HQ Palel on 1 October 1944.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 24 Mar 1944 - 28 Mar 1944
No 11 17 Mar 1944 - Apr 1944
No 34 7 Sep 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 62 26 Mar 1944 - 16 May 1944
No 113 5 Mar 1944 - 15 Mar 1944, 7 Sep 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
No 123 21 Feb 1944 - 25 May 1944
No 155 7 Sep 1944 - 1 Oct 1944
No 615 19 Mar 1944 - 10 Aug 1944
No 9 IAF 24 Mar 1944 - 29 May 1944
No 1582 Flt 27 Mar 1944 - xx xxx xxxx

Officers Commanding

xx Oct 1943            Wg Cdr T A F Elsdon

xx xxx 1943             Sqn Ldr Newman (Temp)

20 Dec 1943           Wg Cdr P Richey


No 190 Wing

This was formed at Bombay on 22 November 1943 by redesignating RAF Assault Wing as No 190 (Assault) Wing in No 227 Group and disbanded on 31 December 1943.


No 191 Wing

This was due to form at Coconada on 22 November 1943 as No 191 (Assault) Wing in SEAC, but its formation was cancelled.


No 192 Wing

This was due to form at Colombo on 9 June 1942 as No 187 (Maintenance) Wing in No 226 Group but its formation was cancelled.

It was formed at Colombo on 9 August 1944 as No 187 (Maintenance) Wing in No 222 Group to undertake 2nd line maintenance of aircraft, MT and marine craft, disbanding on 12 February 1945.


This page was last updated on 21/11/17

         [Top of Page]