Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Technical Training Units etc


This section will give brief histories of those ground training units providing technical training: -

No 63 Air School

This was formed from  on 11 November 1940 at Tempe, as a ground instruction school and absorbed into No 75 AS on 1 December 1940

No 64 Air School

This was formed from the Signals training School and Electrical School, SAAF on 5 February 1941 at Tempe, to train wireless operators.  It moved to Lyttelton on 19 September 1945 and disbanded on 20 December 1945

No 65 Air School

This was formed from the Air Armament School, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Youngsfield.  It disbanded on 13 March 1944, becoming the Armament training Section of No 66 AS but reformed as an independent school on 1 June 1943 and disbanded on 10 September 1945

No 66 Air School

This was formed from No 3 CAONBGS, SAAF on 30 April 1941 at Youngsfield,  and disbanded on 1 April 1945

No 67 Air School

This was formed from  on 11 November 1940 at Zwartkop, as a photography training school and was redesignated No 67 Air Photo Training School in 1946

No 68 Air School

This was formed from No 1 SoTT, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Voortrekkerhoogte and was redesignated No 68 Air Technical Training School in 1946.

No 69 Air School

This was formed from No 2 SoTT, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Germiston and disbanded on 1 December 1944, being absorbed into No 68 AS.

No 70 Air School

This was formed from No 3 SoTT, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Alexandersfontein, Kimberley and disbanded on 13 September 1945.

No 71 Air School

This was formed from No 1 Basic Training Centre, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Johannesburg, as a basic workshop training school and disbanded on 1 February 1945.

No 72 Air School        

This was formed on 11 November 1940 at Kimberley, as a WAAF training school and disbanded on 1 December 1941.

No 72 Air School

It reformed on 1 March 1942 at St George's Park, Port Elizabeth and disbanded on 9 August 1943.

No 73 Air School

This was formed on 11 November 1940 at Wonderboom, as a WAAF technical training school and disbanded on 25 September 1944.

No 77 Air School

This was formed from the WAAF Basic Training Centre, SAAF on 15 July 1942 at Edward Street, Pretoria and was redesignated the WAAF Camp on 30 January 1943.

No 78 Air School

This was formed on 21 March 1942 at Driftsands, Port Elizabeth, as a WAAF training school, but never opened was and disbanded in January 1943.

No 100 Air School

This was formed in March 1941 at Voortrekkerhoogte, as a recruit training school and disbanded 12 February 1944.

Beam Approach Technical Training School

This was formed by October 1942 at Watchfield,  and moved to Cranwell in No 27 Group on 4 December 1943, where it possibly merged into No 8 Radio School.

Boy Mechanics Training School

This was formed in June 1918 at Eastchurch and moved to Halton, where it was redesignated as the Boys Training Depot on 9 October 1919

No 3 Boys Training Centre

This was formed from the Boys Training School in August 1918 at Eastchurch under the control of No 1 Group and was redesignated the School of Technical Training (Men) on 18 February 1920

The Boys Training Depot

This was formed from the Fitters Training Establishment (Boys) on 1 July 1918 at Letchworth and disbanded in June 1919

It reformed from the Boy Mechanics Training School on 9 October 1919 at Halton Camp and was redesignated the School of Technical Training (Boys) on 23 December 1919

Boys Training School

This was formed on 10 September 1917 at Halton Camp, moving to Eastchurch in May 1918, where it was redesignated No 3 Boys Training Centre in August 1919

Central Air Traffic Control School

This was formed from the Central Navigation and Control School on 11 February 1963 at Shawbury.  Initially under No 25 Group, it was transferred to HQ Support Command on the disbandment of the group.  It had originally operated aircraft to allow the trainee controllers to practice their skills but after 4 July 1989 all training became synthetic and is probably still in existence.

Central Trade Test Board

This was formed on 1 July 1922 at Uxbridge, tasked with assessing recruits on entry prior to being allocated to a specific trade and examining tradesmen for reclassification or remustering.  It moved to West Drayton on 1 September 1924 and dispersed to Nos 1, 2 and3 Recruits Depots on 2 September 1939.  It later reconstituted at West Drayton in No 24 Group and maintained detachments at the various entry points to the service.  It moved to Chigwell on 28 May 1946, continuing to function  but had disbanded by January 1965.

Chinook Ground Servicing School

This was formed in No 38 Group on 9 May 1980 at Odiham but its fate is unknown.

Coastal Command Ground Instructors School

This was formed in 1944 at East Fortune under the control of No 17 Group, being transferred to No 18 Group on 1 September 1945 and disbanded on 29 October 1945 into the Coastal Command Instructors' School.

Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering

"The Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering (DCAE) was established on 1 April 2004 as a result of the Defence Training Review (DTR) and is an important step in the migration to a partnered solution for Defence Training

The principal task of the DCAE is to provide a high quality, relevant and up-to-date aeronautical engineering (AE) training to fulfill the needs of tomorrow's front line  To that end, the College is exploiting the opportunity to combine the best aspects of the Services' current AE training; such refinement will contribute to the development of Defence Aeronautical Training for the future  Concurrently, the DCAE is supporting the development of a partnered solution for Defence Training  

Comprised of training establishments across 5 sites, the DCAE embraces the AE and survival equipment elements of RN training at HMS Sultan (Gosport), the REME School of Electronic and Aeronautical Engineering at Arborfield, the RAF No 1 School of Technical Training at Cosford, specialist RAF Engineering Officer Training at Cranwell and the RAF`s Painter and Finisher training at St Athan   Although the DCAE is a federation of military units, it is first and foremost a cost-effective business  For example, Cosford was one of the first Defence College sites to become fully accredited to an ISO 9000-2000 quality assurance system and it has now embarked on substantial business initiatives to secure International Defence Training contracts " Crown Copyright

Defence College of Communications and Information Systems

"Formed on 1 April 2004, the Defence College of Communications and Information Systems is one of 6 Defence Training Establishments designed to deliver more coherent, efficient and cost effective training across defence 

The College consists of a Headquarters based at Blandford Camp, the Royal Navy CIS Training Unit at HMS Collingwood, the Royal School of Signals at Blandford Camp and Number 1 Radio School at DCAE Cosford of which the Aerial Erector School at RAF Digby is a part  The separate schools currently deliver a wide range of Service specific and generic CIS  As a result of the Defence Training Review plans will be made to co-locate these elements and enter into a commercial partnership with an industrial consortium, which should see the delivery of the first genuine 'Defence', rather than single-Service, training courses  Central to the College's vision is the concept of training development on a joint basis for which, a team has been incorporated into the Headquarters " Crown Copyright

Fighter Command School of Technical Training

This was formed in July 1947 at Wattisham and disbanded in September 1949.

No 1 Glider Servicing School

This was formed on 21 March 1945 at Cardington in No 22 Group but its fate is unknown.

Ground Armament School

This was formed in May 1918 at Eastchurch and disbanded on 14 June 1919.

Ground Controlled Approach Operators School

This was formed in September 1946 at Watton, as part of the FSE, moving to Wyton as an independent unit on 10 March 1952, where it disbanded on 14 March 1953 into the Central Navigation and Control School.

Ground Controlled Approach Training Unit

This was formed as part of the Signals Flying Unit at Honiley but no other details have been found.

Marine Training Depot

This was formed on 22 September 1918 at Sandbanks, Poole in No 10 Group, to provide training in the handling of marine aircraft.  On 1 March 1919 it took control of Gosport from HQ No 8 Group and disbanded on 24 October 1919.

Middle East Armament School

This was formed on 1 May 1943 at Shallufa and disbanded on 9 October 1945.

No 3 Middle East Training School

This was formed on 23 March 1942 at Amman, where it took over the duties of the Ground Gunner School at Helwan.  It was taken over by No 203 Group on 10 May 1943 and then transferred to AHQ Levant on 15 August, being disbanded on 15 November 1944.

Polish Technical Training School  

his was formed in July 1942 at Blackpool, moving to Halton in No 24 Group on 30 July 1942, to Locking in September 1944 and finally to Cammeringham on 9 July 1945 and was redesignated No 16 (Polish) SoTT the same day on 9 July 1945.

Radar Approach Control School

This was formed from the GCA School in 1953 at Shawbury and never actually formed at some point.

Radio Direction Finding School

This was due to form on 19 January 1940 at Yatesbury but never actually formed.

Radio Direction Finding School

This was formed on an unknown date at Kidbrooke but its fate is unknown.

No 2 Radio Direction Finding School

This was formed from No 2 Radio School on 21 May 1942 at Yatesbury and its fate is unknown.

No 3 Radio Direction Finding School

This was formed from No 3 Radio School on 19 August 1942 at Prestwick, moving to Hooton Park on 1 December in No 27 Group and was redesignated No 9 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 4 Radio Direction Finding School

This was formed on 5 October 1942 at Carew Cheriton and was redesignated No 11 Radio School on 13 December 1942.

No 51 Radio Direction Finding School

This was formed on 20 January 1943 at Bangalore, as the RDF School, being retitled No 51 RDF School on 13 April 1943 and was redesignated No 10 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 1 Radio School

This was formed on 10 March 1941 at Cranwell in No 26 Group, being transferred to No 27 Group on 26 May 1941 and was redesignated No 8 RS on 1 January 1943.

It reformed from No 1 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at Cranwell in No 27 Group, moving to Locking on 9 October 1950.  On 1 December 1952 it took over the apprentice training duties of No 6 RS and was transferred to No 24 Group on 15 September 1958.  In October 1966 the apprentice training role was transferred to Cosford and in 1989, re-located to Cosford in its entirety, moving into a new purpose built complex on 24 March 1999 and remains part of the Defence School of Communication and Information Systems.

No 2 Radio School

This was formed from the Special Signals School on 1 March 1941 at Yatesbury and was redesignated No 2 RDF School on 21 May 1942.

It reformed from No 2 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at Yatesbury in No 27 Group, being transferred to No 24 Group on 15 September 1958 and disbanded on 31 October 1965.

No 3 Radio School

This was formed from the AI/ASV School on 27 October 1940 at Prestwick in No 26 Group, being transferred to No 27 Group on 26 May 1941 and was redesignated No 3 RDF School on 19 August 1942.

It reformed from No 3 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at Compton Bassett in No 27 Group, being transferred to No 24 Group on 15 September 1958 and disbanded on 30 November 1964.

No 4 Radio School

This was formed from No 4 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at Madley in No 27 Group, moving to Swanton Morley on 5 December 1946.  It was transferred to No 21 Group on 1 August 1950 and was redesignated No 1 Air Signallers' School on 1 May 1951.

No 5 Radio School

This was formed from the Code and Cypher School on 1 January 1943 at Haddington, moving to Compton Bassett in June 1945 and disbanded on 30 January 1946.

It reformed on 10 October 1946 at Bawdsey and disbanded on 20 June 1950.

No 6 Radio School

This was formed from No 6 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at the Municipal Technical College, Bolton and closed on 21 May 1945.

It reformed from the apprentice element of No 1 RS on 9 October 1950 at Cranwell and disbanded on 1 December 1952 into No 1 RS.

No 7 Radio School

This was formed from No 7 Signals School on 1 January 1943 at Albert Court, Prince Consort Road, South Kensington and disbanded on 1 August 1944.

No 8 Radio School

This was formed from No 1 Radio School on 1 January 1943 at Cranwell in No 27 Group and disbanded on 24 June 1946.

No 9 Radio School

This was formed from No 2 RDF School on 1 January 1943 at Yatesbury and merged into No 2 RS on 30 January 1946.

No 10 Radio School

This was formed from No 4 RDF School on 1 January 1943 at Carew Cheriton in No 27 Group and disbanded on 24 November 1945.

No 11 Radio School

This was formed from RAF Station Hooton Park on 11 December 1942 at Hooton Park in No 27 Group and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

No 12 Radio School

This was formed on 1 September 1943 at St Athan in No 27 Group and merged with No 14 RS to form the Empire Radio School on 7 March 1946.

No 13 Radio School

This was formed from No 10 (Signals) Recruit Centre on 16 August 1943 at Blackpool in No 27 Group and disbanded on 31 October 1944.

No 14 Radio School

This was formed on 1 June 1944 at St Athan in No 27 Group and merged with No 12 RS to form the Empire Radio School on 7 March 1946.

No 15 Radio School

This was formed on 26 July 1944 at Cosford in No 27 Group and disbanded on 30 January 1946.

No 16 Radio School

This was formed on 30 September 1944 at Beit Dara in No 203 Group and disbanded on 15 December 1945.

No 17 Radio School

This was formed from the Wireless Operators (Air) Signals School on 12 July 1944 at Colombo in No 222 Group and disbanded on 14 June 1945.

No 31 Radio School

This was formed in May 1941 at Clinton, Ontario and disbanded on 14 June 1945.

No 51 Radio School

This was formed from No 51 RDF School on 20 October 1943 at Bangalore, moving to Saharanpur on 12 October 1945 and disbanded on 15 March 1946.

Regional Control School

This was formed on in September 1940 at Mildenhall, moving to Brasenose College, Oxford on 10 May 1941 and was redesignated the School of Flying Control on 17 December 1941.

RAF (Belgian) Technical Training School

This was formed on was transferred to Saffraanberg in Belgium at Snitterfield and  in October 1946.

RAF School of Control and Reporting

This was formed on 6 January 1964 at Bawdsey in No 12 Sector and was redesignated the RAF School of Fighter Control on 1 October 1968.

RAF School of Fire Fighting

This was formed from elements of No 8 SoTT (Weeton) and the Safety Equipment Works School on 18 August 1943 at Sutton-on-Hull in No 24 Group.  It was transferred to No 22 Group on 7 September1943 and absorbed the Anti-Gas School on 10 August 1947, being redesignated the RAF School of Fire Fighting and Anti-Gas but reverted to its previous title on 9 June 1947.  On 15 July 1953 it was redesignated the RAF School of Fire Fighting and Rescue  and disbanded on 7 October 1959 with its tasking being transferred to the RAF Regiment Depot at Catterick.

Safety Equipment Workers School

This was formed on 18 November 1942 at Sutton-on-Hull and was absorbed into No 11 SoTT, Hereford on 31 May 1944.

Signals Instructor School

This was formed on 1 December 1942 at Penrhos, moving to St Athan in No 27 Group on 1 June 1944, after which its fate is unknown.

No 1 Signals School

This was formed from No 1 Electrical and Wireless School on 26 August 1940 at Cranwell, coming under the control of No 27 Group in April 1941 and was redesignated No 1 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 2 Signals School

This was formed from No 2 Electrical and Wireless School on 26 August 1940 at Yatesbury, coming under the control of No 27 Group in April 1942 and was redesignated No 2 Radio School on .

No 3 Signals School

This was formed from No 3 Electrical and Wireless School on 26 August 1940 at Compton Bassett, coming under the control of No 27 Group in April 1943 and was redesignated No 3 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 4 Signals School

This was formed on 27 August 1941 at Madley, coming under the control of No 27 Group in April 1944 and was redesignated No 4 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 5 Signals School

This was formed on 21 November 1941 at Pale Manor Farm, Malvern in No 27 Group and closed on 15 May 1942.

No 6 Signals School

This was formed on 13 October 1941 at Bolton Technical College in No 27 Group and was redesignated No 6 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 7 Signals School

This was formed on 1 January 1942 at Albert Court, Prince Consort Road, South Kensington in No 27 Group and was redesignated No 7 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

No 1 Signals School (India)                                                                               This was formed on 1 November 1942 at Andheri, Bombay and disbanded on 1 October 1944 into No 10 SoAFTT.

No 2 Signals School (India)

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Hakimpet and disbanded on 25 January 1944 into No 10 SoAFTT.

No 3 Signals School (India)

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Hakimpet and disbanded on 14 May 1944 into No 10 SoAFTT.

No 1 Supplementary School of Technical Training                                        This was formed on 16 October 1939 at Northampton Polytechnic, John Street, Clerkenwell, London and closed on 12 January 1940.

No 1 Supplementary School of Technical Training

This was formed from No 1 Aircraft Assembly Unit on 31 March 1941 at Speke in No 20 Group, to provide training in the assembly and maintenance of US aircraft and closed on 5 May 1941.

No 2 Supplementary School of Technical Training

This was formed on 16 October 1939 at The Polytechnic, Regent Street, London and closed on 12 January 1940.

No 2 Supplementary School of Technical Training

This was formed on 31 March 1941 at Colerne, to provide training in the assembly and maintenance of US aircraft and closed on 5 May 1941.

No 3 Supplementary School of Technical Training

This was formed on 31 March 1941 at Burtonwood, to provide training in the assembly and maintenance of US aircraft and was redesignated No 21 SoTT on 7 July 1941.

No 1 Supplementary School of Wireless Telegraphy

This was formed on in September 1939 at Hamble, operated by Air Service Training Ltd, it came under No 26 Group on 6 April 1940 and closed on 10 February 1941.

No 2 Supplementary School of Wireless Telegraphy

This was formed on in September 1939 at Prestwick and closed on 15 October 1940.

No 3 Supplementary School of Wireless Telegraphy

This was ordered to form on 25 September 1939 at Waltham Cross but this was changed to White Waltham and then cancelled.

No 4 Supplementary School of Wireless Telegraphy

This was ordered to form on 25 September 1939 at White Waltham but was then cancelled when it was decided to form No 3 SSWT at White Waltham.

No 1 Technical School (American Aircraft)

This was formed on 1 December 1941 at Ismailia and disbanded in July 1943.

School of Technical Training (Boys)

This was formed from The Boys' Training Depot on 23 December 1919 at Halton and was redesignated No 1 School of Technical Training on 16 March 1920.

School of Technical Training (Men)

This was formed by amalgamating a number of training units from around the country on 8 February 1917 at Coley Park, Reading, moving to Halton on 10 September 1917 and disbanded on 5 December 1919 into The Boys' Training Depot.

It reformed from No 3 Boys Training Squadron on 8 February 1917 at Eastchurch, moving to Manston on 16 March 1920 and was redesignated No 3 SoTT on 5 December 1919.

Miscellaneous Technical Training Unit             

This appears to have existed at Henlow in No 24 Group by December 1939 and was probably absorbed into No 14 SoTT.

No 1 School of Technical Training

This was formed in September 1918 as the School of Technical Training at Halton Camp.  It was renamed the School of Technical Training (Boys) on 23 December 1919 and then No 1 SoTT (Boys) on 16 March 1920, before being renamed, again, as No 1 SoTT (Apprentices) between 1925 and 1929.  From 1920 No 1 SoTT was control by HQ RAF Halton, which at that time held Command status but when Training Command was formed RAF Halton was reduced to Group status within the new Command, with No 1 SoTT being transferred to Training Command on 9 July 1936.  With the splitting of Training Command into Flying Training and Technical Training Commands on 27 May 1940, No 1 SoTT was transferred to No 20 Group under the control of the latter.   On 10 December 1942 it was transferred to No 24 Group.  It continued training apprentices after WW2 and on 1 June 1968 reverted to the control of Training Command, which had reformed by merging Flying Training and Technical Training Commands.  As the Command structure of the RAF changed it found itself transferred to RAF Support Command on 13 June 1977 and then to Personnel and Training Command on 1 April 1994.  In the same year the traditional RAF  Apprenticeship Scheme ended and No 1 SoTT became a 'Phase 2' technical training centre for airmen but on 24 November 1994 it moved  to RAF Cosford, bringing technical training at Halton to an end and was absorbed into the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering on 1 April 2004.

1920 - 1936 Commandant was the same as AOC, RAF Halton (See Command section)

[Personnel and Locations]

4 Sep 1936:                A/Cdre G R M Reid

17 Aug 1938:              A/Cdre G B Dacre

xx xxx 1939:               AVM Sir Oliver Swann (Ret'd)

xx xxx 1940:               A/Cdre G B Dacre

xx xxx 1942                A/Cdre H G White

xx xxx 1946                A/Cdre J F Titmas

xx xxx 1949                A/Cdre N Carter

xx xxx 1951                A/Cdre J G Elton

xx xxx 1952                A/Cdre J G W Weston

xx xxx 1954                A/Cdre G N E Tindal-Carill-Worsley

xx xxx 1956                A/Cdre E D McK Nelson

xx xxx 1958                A/Cdre T N Coslett

xx xxx 1961                A/Cdre B Robinson

xx xxx 1963                A/Cdre D M Strong

xx xxx 1966                A/Cdre A C Deere

xx xxx 1967                A/Cdre H P Connelly

xx xxx 1968                A/Cdre R H G Weighill

28 Apr 1973               A/Cdre B Hamilton

 5 Jun 1975                 A/Cdre M P Stanton

xx xxx 1977                Gp Capt JP Downes

xx xxx 1979                Gp Capt O J Truelove

xx xxx 1981                Gp Capt M J Evans

xx xxx 1983                Gp Capt S P Rarsons

xx xxx 1984                Gp Capt R H Kyle

xx xxx 1986                Gp Capt S M Williamson-Noble

xx xxx 1988                Gp Capt I R Blunt

xx xxx 1991                Gp Capt R Brumpton

xx xxx 1993                Gp Capt G O Burton

Standards
1st - 25 July 1952

HM Queen Elizabeth II

2nd - 6 April 1968

HRH The Princess Margaret

3rd - 25 September 1990

HRH The Duke of Kent

No 2 School of Technical Training

This was formed from the Boys Training Wing on 16 March 1920 at Cranwell, as No 2 SoTT (Boys) and was redesignated the Boys Wing, Cranwell on in April 1921.

It reformed on 15 July 1938 at Cosford in No 24 Group, as No 2 SoTT (Apprentices),  On 2 March 1940 it began conversion courses for Flight Mechanics and Flight Riggers and took over the Officers' Engineering Course.  By April 1941 it had been transferred to No 20 Group but was back in No 24 Group on 10 December 1942 and was redesignated No 1 SoTT on 24 November 1994.

No 3 School of Technical Training

This was formed from the School of Technical Training (Men) on 1 July 1935 at Manston, but being so close to the East Coast its courses were was dispersed to No 4 and 5 SoTTs on 4-5 September 1939 and disbanded on 13 September 1939.

It reformed on 20 October 1939 at Deacons Bank Chambers, Talbot Square, Blackpool, until at least June 1940, with courses being run in various locations around the town, including at Squires Gate and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

No 3 School of Technical Training

It reformed on 1 May 1959 at Hereford in No 22 Group, being transferred to No 24 Group on 1 May 1958, then to HQ Training Command on 29 December 1973 and disbanded on 17 May 1974.

No 4 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 1 September 1938 at St Athan in No 24 Group, as No 4 SoTT (Men).  It became part of the Defence College of Technical Training in October 2012 and continues to train all non-aircraft engineering technicians.

No 5 School of Technical Training

This was formed from No 4 (Training) Wing, No 13 MU on 1 January 1939 at Locking in No 24 Group, as No 5 SoTT (Men) from a nucleus assembled the previous September.   It disbanded on 15 May 1950.

It reformed on 1 March 1967 at Coningsby in No 24 Group, to train ground personnel on the Phantom.  It was transferred from Training Command to Air Support Command on 15 June 1968 and was redesignated No 3 Squadron, No 228 OCU on 1 August 1968.

No 6 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 14 March 1939 at Hednesford in No 24 Group.  On 1 December 1946 it took over the task of the RAF School of Explosives and disbanded on 9 August 1948.

No 7 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 4 June 1940 at Innsworth in No 24 Group.  It was transferred to No 20 Group on 13 November 1942 and disbanded in June 1944.

It reformed on 1 August 1959 at Kirton-in-Lindsey in No 22 Group and disbanded on 26 February 1965.

No 8 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 21 May 1940 at Weeton in No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 24 Group on 1 December 1942 and on 18 August 1943 the fire fighting courses were transferred to the RAF School Fire Fighting at Sutton-on-Hull.  It disbanded on 30 September 1965.

No 9 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 28 December 1939 at Morecombe in No 20 Group and disbanded on 17 May 1942.

It reformed on 1 December 1959 at Newton in No 24 Group.  It was transferred to HQ Training Command on 29 December 1973 and disbanded on 17 May 1974.

No 10 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 25 May 1940 at Kirkham in No 20 Group and disbanded on 10 November 1958.

No 11 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 1 July 1940 at Hereford in No 24 Group and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

It reformed on 8 October 1945 at Hednesford in No 24 Group and disbanded on 31 August 1947.

No 12 School of Technical Training

This was formed on 24 June 1940 at Melksham in No 24 Group and disbanded on 26 February 1965.

No 13 School of Technical Training

This was formed from No 2 Electricians Wing on 6 September 1940 at Henlow and was redesignated No 14 SoTT on 28 August 1940 to prevent confusion with No 13 MU, also at Henlow.

No 14 School of Technical Training

This was formed from No 13 SoTT on 28 August 1940 at Henlow and disbanded on 28 August 1944.

It reformed on 1 June 1945 at Henlow in No 26 Group as No 14 (Polish) SoTT disbanded on 1 September 1948.

It reformed on 1 August 1951 at Henlow in No 24 Group and disbanded on 9 June 1952.

No 15 School of Technical Training

This was formed from the School of Explosives Inspection on 1 October 1948 at North Coates in No 24 Group and disbanded on 13 September 1953.

No 16 (Polish) School of Technical Training

This was formed from the Polish Technical Training School (Locking) on 9 July 1945 at Ingham and disbanded on 7 December 1946.

No 21 School of Technical Training

This was formed from No 3 Supplementary School of Technical Training on 7 July 1941 at Burtonwood in No 24 Group but had been transferred to No 20 Group by the time it disbanded on 1 May 1943.

This was formed on 15 October 1943 at Burtonwood in No 24 Group and disbanded on 16 April 1946.

No 1 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 1 November 1939 at Ambala, immediately absorbing to the IAF Apprentice Training School.  It was placed in No 223 Group, possibly on 1 February 1943 but by January 1944 was under No 227 Group and disbanded on 15 November 1945.

No 2 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 1 April 1940 at Drigh Road but its fate is unknown.

It reformed on 22 June 1943 at Secunderabad, later coming under No 227 Group and was redesignated No 2 School of Ground Training on 1 September 1946.

No 3 (Civilian) School of Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 2 January 1943 at Sidpur in No 227 Group and disbanded on 30 April 1944.

No 4 (Civilian) School of Technical Training (India)/School of Air Force Technical Training

This was formed on 3 February 1943 at Guindy in No 227 Group, as No 4 (Civilian) SoTT, being redesignated No 4 SoAFTT on 12 February 1944 in No 225 Group and disbanded on 1 February 1945.

No 5 School of Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 25 March 1943 at Jamnagar in No 227 Group, as No 5 (Civilian) SoTT, being redesignated No 5 SoAFTT, possibly on 12 February 1944 and disbanded on 1 February 1945.

No 6 School of Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 15 May 1943 at Juhu, Bombay in No 227 Group and disbanded on 4 March 1944.

No 7 School of Technical Training (India)/School of Air Force Technical Training

This was formed on 30 July 1943 at Quetta in No 227 Group, being transferred to No 223 Group on 1 February 1944.  By February 1944 it had been redesignated No 7 SoAFTT and disbanded on 1 November 1945.

No 8 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 14 February 1944 at Saharanpur in No 223 Group and disbanded on 7 May 1945.

No 9 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 23 August 1943 at Mana, Raipur in No 227 Group and disbanded on 13 June 1944.

No 10 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed from No 2 Signals School on 25 January 1944 at Hakimpet in No 227 Group and disbanded on 1 January 1946 into SHQ Kandy.

No 11 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 17 September 1943 at Grubbs Island, Cochin in No 227 Group, being transferred to No 225 Group in September 1943 and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

No 12 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed from the Balloon Training Centre on 28 October 1943 at Baroda in No 227 Group and disbanded on 2 July 1945.

No 13 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 20 November 1943 at Calcutta in No 227 Group and disbanded on 7 May 1944 into No 12 SoTT.

No 14 School of Technical Training (India)

This was formed from the Drivers MT School on 1 May 1944 at Secunderabad in No 227 Group and disbanded on 1 September 1946.

No 15 School of Air Force Technical Training (India)

This was formed on 1 January 1945 at Barrackpore in No 230 Group, being transferred to No 228 Group on 28 May 1945.  It moved to Bishnapur on 8 June 1945 and disbanded on 15 October 1946.

School of Torpedo Maintenance

This appears to have existed at Carlisle in No 20 Group by June 1942 but had disbanded by January 1943.

 

This page was last updated on 04/11/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]