Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Flying training units - Post-Graduate


[Pilots | Observers | Signals | Armament | Others]

This section will give brief histories of those flying training units providing courses to aircrew after having served in an operational unit: -

Pilot training units

No 62 Air School

This was formed on 24 February 1945 at Bloemspruit and disbanded on 24 February 1945.

All-Weather Flight

This was formed from the Instrument Flying Training Flight on 8 June 1948 as part of the Far East Communication Squadron at Changi and disbanded on in April 1950.

No 1 Beam Approach School

This was formed from No 1 Blind Approach School on 31 October 1941 at Watchfield under the control of No 50 Group and disbanded on 31 December 1946.

Blenheim Conversion Flight

This was formed in 1939 at Hendon and disbanded on 16 January 1940.

Blenheim Refresher Unit

This was formed by 1943 at Peshawar, moving to Poona on 15 July and disbanded in 1943.

Blind Approach School

This was formed from  on 28 September 1940 at Watchfield and was redesignated No 1 Blind Approach School in 1941.

No 1 Blind Approach School

This was formed in 1941 at Watchfield and was redesignated No 1 Beam Approach School on 31 October 1941.

Centuarus Flight

This was formed by 1943 under the control of No 24 Group at Weston-super-Mare, moving to Filton on 15 October, joining No 4 Group at the same time and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

Central Night Vision Training School

This was formed at Upper Heyford on 25 April 1943, moving to Worksop in No 91 Group on 13 February 19445, where it was redesignated the Central Vision Training School and was transferred to Transport Command on 30 November 1946.

Coastal Command Flying Instructors School

This was formed from No 12 FIS on 23 February 1945 at St Angelo under the control of No 17 Group.  It moved to Turnberry on 9 June, being transferred to No 18 Group on 1 September and then moved to Tain on 13 November, where it disbanded on 20 October 1945 into the Coastal Command Instructors' School.

Central Flying School

Its formation authorized on 23 April 1912 as an independent unit and formally opened on 19 June, with the first course beginning on 17 August. Initially formed to give pilots holding RAeC Certificates military training, it was later tasked with the training of flying instructors and refresher training. It was subordinated to Southern Training Brigade from 5 August 1917 and transferred to HQ Training Division on 5 January 1918. Further transfers took place, to No 7 Group from 1 April 1918 and to No 8 Group on 16 September 1918. It was Renamed Flying Instructors School on 23 December 1919.

It was reformed on 26 April 1920 at Upavon within Inland Area and transferred to No 3 Group on 1 April 1926 and then No 23 Group from 12 April 1926. On 7 October 1926, it moved to Wittering but returned to Upavon between 30 August and 2 September 1935.  It came under the control of Training Command when it was formed on 1 July 1936 and transferred to Flying Training Command when Training Command was split on 27 May 1940. It was disbanded by renaming as No 7 Flying Instructors School on 1 April 1942.

It reformed again on 7 May 1946 at  Little Rissington.  In May 1952, the element at Little Rissington was renamed CFS (Advanced) and No 2 FTS At South Cerney was redesignated CFS (Basic).  On 1 June 1957, both elements were amalgamated into a single CFS again.  Subsequently the HQ element of CFS has been based at Cranwell from 12 April 1976, Leeming from 5 September 1977, Scampton from 19 September 1984 and back to Cranwell from 31 May 1995, where it remains to the present (2005).  However, since 1952, it has been policy to station specific elements of the CFS at other stations where a particular type of aircraft is based.  These include South Cerney, Middle Wallop, Ternhill and Shawbury (helicopters), Fairford (Gnat and Jet Provost), Kemble (Gnat), Aston Down (Jet Provost), Church Fenton (Primary Flying Squadron), Valley (Hawk - later 19 (Reserve) Squadron, Cranwell (Bulldog) and Topcliffe (Tucano).

No 2 Central Flying School

This was formed from No 2 FIS on 1 November 1940 at Cranwell, under the control of No 21 Group.  It moved to Church Lawford on 15 June 1941 and was redesignated No 1 Flying Instructors School on 13 January 1942.

No 3 Central Flying School

This was to have formed in December 1941 at Dalcross but formation never took place.

Central Flying School (India)

This was formed from the Flying Instructors' School (India) on 13 June 1944 at Ambala and disbanded on 22 July 1945.

Central Flying School (Southern Rhodesia)

This was formed from No 33 FIS on 9 May 1944 at Norton and disbanded on 9 October 1945.

Central Gliding School

This was formed on 9 August 1971 at Spitalgate from No 2 Gliding Centre at Spitalgate and No 1 Gliding Centre from Swanton Morley.  It moved to Newton on 31 January 1975, although it actually operated from nearby Syerston, being retitled the Air Cadets Central Gliding School on 1 October 1976 and is probably still in existence.

No 1 (Coastal) Engine Control Demonstration Flight

This was formed at Longtown, within No 1674 HCU on 19 October 1943 before moving to Great Orton on on 17 November.  Further moves followed to Aldergrove on 19 December and then to Angle on 18 April 1944, where it was redesignated Engine Control Instructional Flight on 17 June 1944.

Empire Central Flying School

This was formed on from a nucleus provided by the Central Flying School on 1 April 1942 at Hullavington within No 23 Group.  On 1 September 1942 it took over the Handling Squadron fron the A & AEE at Boscombe Down.  It was redesignated the Empire Flying School on 7 May 1946

Empire Flying School

This was formed on 7 May 1946 at Hullavington by re-naming the Empire Central Flying School.  On 30 June 1949 the Examining Wing was transferred to the CFS and moved to Brize Norton. It was absorbed into the RAF Flying College on 31 July 1949.

Empire Test Pilots School

This was formed on 28 July 1944 at Boscombe Down, moving to Cranfield in No 23 Group in October 1945.  On 12 July 1947 it moved to Farnborough were it was attached to the RAE until 26 January 1968 when it returned to Boscombe Down as part of the A & AEE.  Administration was passed to DGTE on 1 April 1992 and then to DTEO on 1 April 1995, remaining in existence to the present day

Enemy Aircraft Flight

This was formed from No 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight on 17 January 1945 under the control of Central Fighter Establishment at Tangmere and remained in existence until on at least November 1945.

No 1 Engine Consumption Unit

This began life as part of Vickers Ltd but was transferred to RAF control at Mildenhall under the control of No 3 Group, on 6 March 1942.  Its role was to instruct pilots in fuel economy techniques on Wellingtons, being redesignated No Engine Consumption Unit on 24 April and then No 1 Engine Control and Demonstration Unit on 14 September 1942 when it moved to Bassingbourn.

No 1 Engine Control and Demonstration Unit

This was formed by redesignating No 1 Engine Consumption Unit on 14 September 1942 following its move to Bassingbourn from Mildenhall.  At the same time it was transferred to No 91 Group being attached to No 11 OTU, moving to Westcott on 2 October under No 92 Group.  In November 1944 it was absorbed into the Bomber Command Instructors School, remaining at Westcott until moving to Worksop on 3 February 1945, where it disbanded on 17 January 1946.

Engine Handling School

This was formed at Heliopolis, possibly in 1944 and disbanded on 25 August 1946.

Fighter Command Instrument Training Flight/Squadron

This was formed on 13 September 1948 at Tangmere, as the Fighter Command Instrument Training Flight, moving to West Raynham on 20 May 1950, where it was attached to the CFE.  It was redesignated the Fighter Command Instrument Training Squadron by December 1951 and was absorbed into CFE on 1 December 1952 being was redesignated Fighter Command Instrument Rating Squadron on in February 1956.

Fighter Support Training Unit

This was formed from No 3 RFU on 15 December 1945 at Bhopal and disbanded in June 1946.

Flying Instructors School

This was formed from the Flying Officers' Instructors' School on 23 December 1919 at Upavon in No 7 Group and reverted to the title Central Flying School on 26 April 1920.

Flying Instructors School, Egypt

This was formed from the 'Gosport' Flight of the Aerial Fighting School on 3 September 1918 at El Khanka in No 38 Wing and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

Flying Instructors School (India)

This was formed by 1944 at Ambala and was redesignated CFS (India) on 13 June 1944.

No 1 Flying Instructors School

This was due to form in November/December 1940 at Upavon, when the CFS moved to Church Lawford but formation never occurred .

No 1 Flying Instructors School

It eventually formed from No 2 CFS on 13 January 1942 at Church Lawford in No 23 Group, being retitled No 1 FIS (Advanced) on 7 April 1942 and was redesignated No 18 (P) AFU on 27 October 1942.

No 2 Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 10 September 1940 at Cranwell in No 21 Group and was redesignated No 2 CFS on 14 November 1940.

No 2 Flying Instructors School

It reformed on 5 January 1942 at Montrose, being retitled No 2 FIS (Advanced) on 7 April 1942 and disbanded on 11 July 1945.

No 3 Flying Instructors School

This was due to form on 6 October 1940 at Hatfield but formation did not proceed.

No 3 Flying Instructors School

Formation was again proposed at Peterborough but did not proceed.

No 3 Flying Instructors School

It eventually formed on 1 August 1942 at Hullavington in No 23 Group, moving to Castle Combe on 8 August 1942.  It moved to Lulsgate Bottom on 1 October 1943, where it was absorbed into No 7 FIS and disbanded on 18 July 1945.

No 4 Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 3 July 1940 at Cambridge (Teversham), attached to No 22 EFTS, as No 4 (Supplementary) FIS, the 'Supplementary being dropped on 13 January 1942.  It was redesignated No 4 FIS (Elementary) on 7 April 1942 and disbanded on 30 April 1943.

No 5 Flying Instructors School

This was formed from 'E' Flight, No 11 EFTS on 8 October 1940 at Perth in No 51 Group, as No 5 (Supplementary) FIS, the 'Supplementary being dropped on 13 January 1942.  It was redesignated No 5 FIS (Elementary) on 7 April 1942 and disbanded on 23 November 1942.

No 6 Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 1 November 1941 at Staverton, as No 6 (Supplementary) FIS, the 'Supplementary being dropped on 13 January 1942.  It was redesignated No 5 FIS (Elementary) on 7 April 1942, moving to Worcester on 18 April and reverted to the title No 2 EFTS on 22 July 1942.

No 7 Flying Instructors School

This was formed from personnel of the CFS on 1 April 1942 at Upavon in No 23 Group, becoming No 7 FIS (Advanced) on 7 April 1942.  In April 1946 it began moving to Little Rissington where it disbanded on 7 May 1946 making way for a reformed CFS.

No 10 Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 22 July 1942 at Woodley in No 50 Group and disbanded on 7 May 1946 into the CFS.

No 11 Flying Instructors School

This was formed from the Flying Instructors Training School  on 1 January 1944 at Shallufa, moving to El Ballah on 12 September 1945, Deversoir on 20 December and finally to Nicosia on 26 June 1946, where it disbanded on 7 January 1947.

No 12 (Operational) Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 1 May 1944 at St Angelo in No 17 Group, to train tour expired pilots from Coastal Command to be instructors in OTUs and was redesignated the Coastal Command Flying Instructors School on 23 February 1945.

No 33 Flying Instructors School

This was formed from the Rhodesian Central Flying School on 20 May 1942 at Belvedere Airport, near Salisbury.  It moved to Norton on 2 November and was redesignated the CFS (Southern Rhodesia) on 9 May 1944.

Flying Instructors Training School

This was formed on 1 December 1943 at Shallufa and was redesignated No 11 FIS on 1 January 1944.

Flying Officers' Instructors School

This was formed from the CFS on 14 August 1919 at Upavon and was redesignated the Flying Instructors School on 23 December 1919.

Flying Refresher School

This was formed from No 1 (Pilots) Refresher Flying Unit on 1 June 1949 at Finningley in No 21 Group and was redesignated No 101 Flying Refresher School on 1 April 1951.

No 101 Flying Refresher School

This was formed from the Flying Refresher Flying School on 1 April 1951 at Finningley in No 25 Group.  being transferred to No 21 Group on 1 October 1951 and disbanded on 1 February 1952.

No 102 Flying Refresher School

This was formed on 1 May 1951 at North Luffenham in No 25 Group.  Its task being to assist in expanding the RAF's flying training as a result of the Korean War and disbanded on 15 November 1951.

No 103 Flying Refresher School

This was formed on 16 May 1951 at Full Sutton in No 21 Group.  It was tasked with retraining fighter pilots on more modern types and disbanded on 20 November 1951.

No 104 Flying Refresher School

This was formed on 23 July 1951 at Lichfield in No 21 Group.  It was tasked with training Reserve pilots in the bomber role and disbanded on 15 February 1952.

Flying Training Command Instructors School

This was formed on 21 October 1942 at Brize Norton, as a ground based unit to teach instructional techniques to prospective instructors.  It moved to North Luffenham on 1 March 1944, then returned to Brize Norton on 16 October before moving to Wittering on 17 December 1945 and finally to South Cerney on 24 May 1946, where it disbanded on 28 February 1947.

Glider Exercise Squadron

This was formed by December 1941 at Ringway, moving to Netheravon on 1 February 1942, where it and was redesignated No 296 Squadron on 25 January 1942.

Glider Exercise Unit

This was formed on 18 July 1941 at Ringway as part of the CLE and was redesignated the Glider Exercise Squadron by December.

Glider Instructors Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1943 at Shobden as part of No 5 GTS, to take over the task of the Glider Instructors School.  It moved to Hockley Heath on 22 December 1943 and then to Culmhead on 31 January 1945, where it became the Glider Instructors School, affiliated to No 3 GTS.

Glider Instructors School

This was formed on 28 August 1942 at Thame, being disbanded on 31 January 1943, its task being taken over by the Glider Instructors Flight of No 5 GTS.  The title was resurrected by No 3 GTS on 31 January 1945 when it absorbed the Glider Instructors Flight from No 5 GTS and presumably remained until No 3 GTS closed in 1947.

Glider Pick-up Training Flight

This was formed from part of No 107 OTU on 8 January 1945 at Zeals in No 46 Group, to train pilots in the technique of 'snatching' stationary gliders using hooks attached to Dakotas.  It moved to Ibsley on 19 March and then to Ramsbury in No 4 Group on 29 October, where it disbanded on 15 November 1945.

Glider Pilots' Exercise Unit

This was formed from 'B' Flight of No 296 Squadron on 12 August 1942 at Netheravon in No 38 Group, to provide refresher flying facilities to Army glider pilots.  It moved to Chilbolton on 8 January 1943, returning to Netheravon on 10 May.  On 29 September it moved again, this time to Thruxton but returned to Netheravon, again, on 14 October but was back at Thruxton on 14 November, where it disbanded on 9 December 1943 into the Operational and Refresher Training Unit.

Ground Attack Training Unit

This was formed from the SLAIS on 27 January 1945 at Ranchi in No 228 Group and disbanded on 24 May 1945 into the Tactics and Weapons Development Unit.

No 1 Group Practice Flight

This was formed on in July 1937 at Usworth but its fate is unknown.

No 3 Group Practice Flight (1)

This was formed on in June 1937 at Honington but its fate is unknown.

No 3 Group Practice Flight (2)

This was formed on in June 1937 at Waddington but its fate is unknown.

No 4 Group Practice Flight

This was formed on in July 1937 at Dishforth but its fate is unknown.

No 5 Group Practice Flight

This was formed on in August 1937 at Mildenhall but its fate is unknown.

No 16 Group Practice Flight

This was formed on in August 1937 at Donibristle but its fate is unknown.

No 202 Group Refresher Flight

This was formed in August 1943 at Elmas and disbanded in about October 1943.

No 93 Group Screened Pilots' School

This was formed in May 1943 at Church Broughton, moving to Leicester East by April 1944 and disbanded in October 1944.

Helicopter Training Flight

This was formed on 5 February 1945 at Andover in No 43 OTU, becoming an independent unit on 9 April and disbanded on 16 January 1946.

Home Command Gliding Centre

This was formed on 1 September 1955 at Detling, moving to Hawkinge on 1 December, where it and was redesignated No 1 Home Command Gliding Centre on 27 June 1958.

No 1 Home Command Gliding Centre

This was formed by redesignating the Home Command Gliding Centre on 27 June 1958 at Hawkinge and was redesignated No 1 Gliding Centre on 31 March 1959.

No 2 Home Command Gliding Centre

This was formed on 1 July 1958 at Newton for No 64 Group and was redesignated No 2 Gliding Centre on 31 March 1959.

Home Command Gliding Instructors School

This was formed by redesignating Reserve Command Gliding Instructors School on 1 August 1950 at Detling and was replaced by the Home Command Gliding Centre on 1 September 1955.

Home Command Instrument Flight

This was formed by redesignating Reserve Command Instrument Training Flight on 1 August 1950 at  and disbanded on 22 June 1952 into the Home Command Examining Unit.

Hornet Conversion Flight

This was formed by June 1949 at Linton-on-Ouse and disbanded in about June 1950.

Inland Area Practice Flight

This was formed in about February 1933 at Hendon and disbanded in about July 1938.

Instant Readiness Reserve Unit

This was formed in about June 1979 at Binbrook to provide refresher training to Lightning pilots undertaking desk duty.  It was redesignated Lightning Augmentation Flight in 1981.

Irish Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 22 October 1918 at The Curragh Camp in No 11 Group and disbanded on 30 November 1922.

Javelin Instrument Rating Squadron

This was formed from the Javelin Flight of the Fighter Command Instrument Rating Squadron on in about February 1957 at Middleton-St-George and disbanded on 31 December 1966.

Lightning Augmentation Flight

This was formed from the Instant Readiness Reserve Unit on in late 1981 at Binbrook to provide refresher flying facilities to Lightning pilot on ground duties but probably disbanded in late 1982.

Middle East Air Force Instrument Training Flight

This was formed on 5 June 1950 at Shallufa, moving to Nicosia on 15 January 1952 and disbanded on 10 May 1956.

Middle East Night Vision Training School

This was formed in November 1945 at Aqir and disbanded on 31 July 1946.

Midland Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 1 July 1918 at Lilbourne, moving to Feltwell on 22 April 1919 and was redesignated Northern Area FIS on 18 October 1919.

Midland Area School of Special Flying

This was formed on 17 June 1918 at Lilbourne and was redesignated Midland Area FIS on 1 July 1918.

Navigation Flight

This was formed by March 1920 under the control of Southern Area at Biggin Hill, being transferred to Inland Area on 1 April 1920 but its fate is unknown.

Navigation Staff (Pilots) Training Flight

This had been formed by October 1948 and was at Topcliffe to at least December 1949.

Near East Air Force Instrument Training Flight

This was formed from the Akrotiri Station Instrument Training Flight on by November 1962 at Akrotiri and disbanded on an unknown date.

Night Fighter Leaders School

This was formed on 1 October 1945 at West Raynham within the CFE and was redesignated the All-Weather Fighter Leaders School in July 1950.

Night Flying Flight

This was formed from  on 1 July 1923 under the control of No 5 Wing at Biggin Hill, to provide pilots with night flying training and air pilotage (navigation).  Transferred to No 6 Group on 1 May 1924 then to Fighting Area on 20 May 1926, it was also detached to Weston Zoyland during to summer periods of 1927- 1931 to provide target facilities for AA Practice Camps and was redesignated Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight on 22 October 1931.

North Eastern Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed from No 2 School of Special Flying on 1 July 1918 at Redcar and disbanded on 23 May 1919 into the North-Western Area FIS.

Northern Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed from the Midland Area FIS on 18 October 1919 at Feltwell in No 11 Group and disbanded on 27 November 1919.

North-Western Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 1 July 1918 at Ayr in No 25 Group.  It moved to Redcar on 15 January 1919 where it absorbed the NE Area FIS and disbanded on 12 June 1919.

Pilots Gunnery Instructors Training Wing

This was formed on 27 February 1942 at Wittering in No 12 Group, moving to Sutton Bridge where it merged into the CGS on 28 March 1942.

Pilot Navigation Instructors Course

This had been formed by 1945 at Halfpenny Green, moving to Cark on 29 October 1945 then to Swanton Morley on 31 December 1945 but its fate is unknown.

No 1 (Pilot) Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from a nucleus of No 21 (P) AFU and No 1 Refresher School on 6 August 1947 at Moreton-in-Marsh in No 21 Group.  It moved to Finningley on 10 January 1948, absorbing No 2 (P) RFU on 1 April and was redesignated the Flying Refresher School on 1 June 1949.

No 2 (Pilot) Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from a nucleus of Nos 5 and 21 (P) AFUs on 6 August 1947 at Valley.  It moved to Finningley, where it and was absorbed into No 1  (P) RFU on 1 April 1948.

Pilot Refresher Training Unit

This had been formed by 1942 at Moreton Valence and was redesignated Refresher Flying Training School on 1 April 1942.

No 1 Practice Flying Unit

This was formed on 4 March 1940 at Meir in No 23 Group, being transferred to No 21 Group on 17 February and had been transferred to No 51 Group by the time it disbanded on 16 June 1940.

Refresher Flight

This was formed on an unknown date at Upavon and was absorbed into No 9 SFTS on 24 July 1941.

Refresher Flying Flight

This was formed on in April 1984 at Church Fenton and disbanded on in mid 1992.

It reformed on 24 April 1995 at Topcliffe, as part of the Tucano Squadron of the CFS and is probably still in existence.

The Refresher Flying Squadron

This was formed from The School of Refresher Flying in 1977 at Leeming, moving to Church Fenton as part of and No 7 FTS, where it was redesignated the Refresher Flying Flight on in April 1984.

The School of Refresher Flying

This was formed on 1 July 1962 at Manby, as part of the College of Air Warfare.  It moved to Leeming in December 1973, becoming part of No 3 FTS, where it and was redesignated the Refresher Flying Squadron in 1977.

No 1 Refresher Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 May 1942 at Moreton Valence, moving to Kirknewton on 23 May and disbanded on 31 October 1942.

No 1 Refresher Flying Unit

This was due to form in February 1944 in NWAAF but formation did not proceed, 

No 2 Refresher Flying Unit

This was due to form in February 1944 in NWAAF but formation did not proceed, 

No 3 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from Aircrew Transit Pool 9 February 1944 at Poona, moving to Bairagarh on 8 September 1945 and was redesignated Fighter Support Training Unit on 15 December 1945.

No 4 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed on 16 May 1944 at Haverfordwest in No 15 Group, to replace No 7 (C) OTU.  It moved to Mullaghmore on 29 September and disbanded on 5 October 1944 to form the Loran Training Unit.

No 5 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from the DAF Training Flight 15 July 1944 at Sinello in DAF, moving to Perigia on 25 September.  It moved to Gaudo on 21 February 1945, coming under MACAF and disbanded on 24 August 1945.

No 6 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from No 1673  HBCU 8 November 1944 at Kolar,  and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

No 7 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed in February 1945 at Shallufa, moving to Ballah on 12 September and disbanded on 17 September 1945.

No 8 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed on 25 January 1945 at Yelahanka, moving to Bairagarh, where it and was absorbed into No 3 RFU on 25 November 1945.

No 9 Refresher Flying Unit

This was formed from No 1672 CU 31 August 1945 at Ranchi,  and disbanded on 30 November 1945.

No 1 Refresher School

This was formed from the Refresher Flight of No 17 SFTS 11 November 1946 at Enstone, moving to Moreton-in-Marsh on 17 December and amalgamated with No 21 (P) AFU to form No 1 (P) RFU on 6 August 1947.

Refresher Training Flight

This was formed in May 1944, probably at Reghaia,  and its fate is unknown.

Reserve Command Gliding Instructors School

This was formed on 1 July 1949 at Detling,  and was redesignated Home Command Gliding Instructors School on 1 August 1950.

Reserve Command Instrument Training Flight       This was formed on 1 August 1948 at White Waltham, moving to Honiley on 6 April 1949 and and was redesignated Home Command Instrument Training Flight on 1 August 1950.

Reserve Command Training Flight

This was formed on 22 September 1948 at White Waltham,  and was redesignated Home Command Training Flight on 1 August 1950.

Rhodesian Central Flying School

This was formed on 3 September 1941 at Belvedere Airport, near Salisbury,  was redesignated No 33 FIS on 20 May 1942.

RAF Seaplane Establishment

This was formed on 14 July 1919 at Lee-on-Solent and was redesignated the School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation on 23 December 1919.

Scout School, Pool of Pilots

This was formed from RNAS units on 1 April 1918 at Manston and disbanded on in December 1919.

South-Eastern Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed on 1 July 1918 at Shoreham and disbanded on 31 March 1919.

South-Western Area Flying Instructors School

This was formed from three flights of the School of Special Flying on 1 July 1918 at Gosport and disbanded on 26 February 1919.

School of Special Flying

This was formed from the RNAS School on 1 April 1918 at Redcar and was redesignated No 2 School of Special Flying on 18 May 1918.

School of Special Flying (Canada)

This was formed on 1 July 1918 at Armour Heights and disbanded in March 1919.

School of Special Flying (Egypt)

This was formed on in 1918 at El Khanka and was redesignated the Flying Instructors School on 3 September 1918.

No 1 School of Special Flying

This was formed on 18 May 1918 at Gosport and was redesignated the South-Western Area Flying Instructors School on 1 July 1918.

No 2 School of Special Flying

This was formed on 18 May 1918 at  and was redesignated the North-Eastern Area Flying Instructors School on 1 July 1918.

No 1 Specialised Low Attack Instructors

This was formed 7 December 1942 at Milfield in No 81 Group and was absorbed into the Fighter Leaders School on 26 January 1944.

Specialised Low Attack Instructors

This was formed 5 November 1943 at Ranchi in No 221 Group, later being transferred to No 231 Group and disbanded on 27 January 1945 into the Ground Attack Training Unit.

Staff Pilot Training Unit

This was formed on 17 March 1942 at Cark and disbanded on 14 November 1942.

It reformed on 12 March 1943 at Cark in No 29 Group, being transferred to No 25 Group on 22 November 1943 disbanded on 31 December 1945.

2nd TAF Instrument Training Flight

This was formed on 1 September 1951 at Gutersloh and disbanded on 16 March 1954.

Test Pilots School

This was formed on 15 January 1944 at Boscombe Down and was redesignated the Empire Test Pilots' School on 28 July 1944.

Training Command Practice Flight

This was formed by April 1931 at Manston and  in October 1937.

It reformed by 12 January 1940 at Woodley and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

Training Unit and Reserve Pool

This was formed from the Pilots Reinforcement and Reserve Pool on 21 September 1940 at Ismailia and was redesignated No 70 OTU on 10 December 1940.

Station Flight Waddington and Categorisation and Instrument Rating Flight

This was formed in November 1950 at Waddington but its fate is unknown.

Observer training units

Aerial Navigation School

This was formed in 1919 at Calshot and was redesignated the School of Aerial Navigation on 23 December 1919.

School of Aerial Navigation

This was formed on 23 December 1919 at Calshot and disbanded on 1 April 1920 into the School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation.

Airborne Interception School

This was formed from No 228 OCU on 1 February 1952 at Leeming.  Under the control of No 81 Group, it moved to Colerne on 12 June and was redesignated No 238 OCU on 15 June 1952.

Air Pilotage Flight

This was formed on 5 February 1923 at Calshot under the control of No 10 Group and was redesignated the Navigation School on in December 1926.

School of Air Pilotage

This was formed from Nos 1 and 2 Schools of Air Navigation and Bomb Dropping on 23 September 1919 at Andover under the control of No 7 Group and was redesignated the Air Pilotage School on 23 December 1919.

Air Pilotage School

This was formed from by redesignating the School of Air Pilotage on 23 December 1919 at Andover.  It was reduced to cadre on 1 April 1920 and disbanded on 15 January 1923.

Air Pilotage School

It reformed from a flight of No 24 Squadron on 26 October 1931 at Northolt under the control of Fighting Area and disbanded on in April 1932.

Air Pilotage School

It reformed, once again, from the Air Pilotage Flight of RAF Andover on 5 May 1933 at Andover and was redesignated the Air Navigation School on 25 January 1935.

School for Anti-Submarine Inshore Patrol Observers

This was formed from  in August 1918 at Aldeburgh and was redesignated Marine Observers School in October 1918.

Bomber Command Squadron Navigation Officers' School

This was formed on 19 March 1945 at Worksop and closed on 24 June 1945.

Bomber Command Tactical School

This was formed on 17 October 1943 at Hemswell under the control of Bomber Command, until at least March 1944 and then to Worksop, where it disbanded on 18 May 1945.

Central Navigation and Control School

This was formed on 10 February 1950 at Shawbury, by amalgamating the Central Navigation School with the School of Air Traffic Control in No 21 Group.  It was transferred to No 25 Group on 1 February 1955 and was redesignated the Central Air Traffic Control School on 11 February 1963 when it absorbed the School of Air Traffic Control and Navigation Element moved to RAF Manby.

Central Navigation School

This was formed 14 August 1942.  Renamed Empire Air Navigation School, 28 October 1948.  It was reformed 31 July 1949 by renaming Empire Air Navigation School at RAF Shawbury.  It absorbed the School of Air Traffic Control on 10 February 1950 and was renamed Central Navigation and Control School

Empire Air Navigation School

This was formed on 28 October 1944 in No 25 Group at Shawbury to provide advanced navigation instruction and the development of ne techniques.  It wa transferred to No 21 Group in 1946 and was redesignated the Central Navigation School on 31 July 1949

Middle East Staff Navigators School

This was formed in April 1945 at Ein Shemer and disbanded in December 1945.

Navigators 'W' Holding Course

This had been formed by September 1944 at Haverfordwest in No 17 Group, moving to Great Orton on 1 October 1944.  It commenced a move to Killadeas on 12 April 1945 but completed the move at Turnberry on 16 April, after which its fate is unknown.

Pathfinder Navigation Training Unit

This was formed on 10 April 1943 at Gransden Lodge, moving to Warboys on 5 March 1944 disbanded on 18 June 1945.

No 1 Radar Navigation Conversion Unit

This was formed by May 1952 at Chivenor but its fate is unknown.

Staff Navigators School (Middle East)

This was formed on 15 July 1944 at Gianaclis in No 203 Group, moving to Ein Shemer in April 1945 and disbanded on 30 November 1945.

Signals training units

AI Conversion Flight

This was formed as part of No 51 OTU on 20 October 1943 at Cranfield, where it remained until at least January 1944 but by January 1946 it had moved to Twinwood Farm, after which its fate is unknown.

Mk VIII AI Conversion Flight (MAAF)

This was formed on 28 May 1943 in the UK, for service in North Africa to convert night fighter crews to AI Mk VIII.  It arrived at Maison Blanche on 12 June, moving to Bone on 29 July, where it operated as part of No 219 Squadron.  On 18 August it moved to Reghaia, becoming an independent unit on 31 October but on 11 February 1944 it was in transit to India.  Its aircraft arrived at Baigachi on 29 February, being absorbed into No 1671 CU, followed by the ground echelon on 12 March and it officially disbanded on 28 May 1944.

Mk X AI Conversion Flight

This was formed on 29 August 1944 in Melton Mowbrey, for service in the Mediterranean to convert night fighter crews to AI Mk X.  Its aircraft  departed St Mawgan on 8 September, arriving at Pomigliano on 16 September, where it became part of No 335 Wing and on 30 September the 'AI' was dropped from its title.  On 31 March 1945 it moved to Baigachi in India, joining No 228 Group, finally closing down on 30 November 1945.

AI Training Flight

This was formed on 20 April 1944 in Marcianise, under the control of the Desert Air Force to convert the crews of No 600 Squadron and the 415th Night Fighter Squadron, USAAF to AI Mk VIII and disbanded on 28 May 1944.

AI/ASV School

This was formed on 24 October 1940 at Prestwick under the control of No 26 Group, to train AI/ASV radar operators and was redesignated No 3 Radio School on 27 December 1940.

ASV Training Flight/Unit

This had been formed by January 1944 at Chivenor under the control of No 19 Group and disbanded on 20 June 1945.

Empire Radio School

This was formed from the No 12 and 14 Radio Schools on 7 March 1946 at Debden and was redesignated the Signals Division of the RAF Technical College on 20 October 1949.

Fighter Command Navigation Radio Conversion Flight

This was formed on 17 February 1943 at Coltishall, attached to No 68 Squadron to train units in the use of AI Mk VIII but its fate is unknown.

Fighter Command Radar School

This was formed on 25 November 1944 at Northolt in No 11 Group, moving to North Weald in April 1945 where it disbanded on 7 September 1945.

No 93 Group Screened Wireless Operators' School

This was formed on 17 June 1943 at Lichfield but its fate is unknown.

Loran Training Unit

This was formed from  on 5 October 1944 at Mullaghmore, moving to Limavady on 3 April 1945 and was redesignated Coastal Command Anti-U-Boat Devices School on 20 April 1945.

Radar Conversion School

This was formed on 9 November 1943 at Maison Blanche and disbanded on 21 August 1945.

Radar Training Flight

This was formed on 7 December 1943 at Newmarket in No 3 Group but its fate is unknown.

Radar Training Flight (later No 1 RTF)

This was formed in about May 1944 at Chivenor and disbanded on 20 June 1945.

SCR 584 Training Unit

This was formed on 25 January 1945 at Drem in No 13 Group, moving to Manston in No 11 Group, where it disbanded on 19 December 1945 into the Fighter Command School of Control and Reporting.

Armament training units

Air Gun Laying (Turret) Training Unit

This was formed on 22 March 1945 at Fulbeck and but no further details have been found.

No 1 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 5 November 1941 at Aldergrove under the control of No 15 Group and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 2 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 5 November 1941 at Thorney island under the control of No 16 Group.  It moved to Bircham Newton on 16 June 1943 and by July 1945 was at Bradwell Bay, where it and disbanded on 1 September 1945 into APS Spilsby.

No 3 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 5 November 1941 at Leuchars under the control of No 17 Group and disbanded on 12 September 1945.

No 4 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on in December 1942 at Talbenny under the control of No 19 Group.  It was transferred to No 44 Group on 31 October 1944 and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 11 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from Nos 1487 and 1488 Flights on 18 October 1943 at Fairwood Common under the control of No 10 Group.  On 1 October 1944 it was allocated to the squadrons of No 84 Group and merged with No 18 APC to form No 1 APS on 1 July 1945.

No 12 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1486 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Llanbedr and disbanded on 21 February 1945.

No 13 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1492 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Weston Zoyland under the control of No 70 Group.  On 20 November 1943 it moved to Llanbedr, where it joined No 9 Group and on 17 June 1944 it temporarily closed. It later transferred to No 12 Group and disbanded on 21 February 1945.

No 14 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1490 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Ayr.  On 27 August 1944 it moved to No 11 Group, where it was taken over by No 11 Group and from 12 November it was allocated to No 84 Group.  It later transferred to No 10 Group and disbanded on 21 February 1945.

No 15 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1491 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Peterhead and disbanded on 21 February 1945 in No 13 Group.

No 16 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1489 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Hutton Cranswick and disbanded on 21 February 1945 in No 12 Group.

No 17 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1488 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Southend under the control of No 11 Group.  Between 7-9 August 1944 it moved to North Weald and then to Warmwell on 27 August, transferring to No 10 Group.  On 1 October it was allocated to No 84 Group and disbanded on 4 October 1945.

No 18 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1493 Flight on 18 October 1943 at Gravesend under the control of No 11 Group.  It moved to Eastchurch on 26 December 1943 and the n to Fairwood Common in No 10 Group on 8 August 1944, where it was allocated to No 84 Group on 1 October and merged with No 11 APC to form No 1 APS on 1 July 1945.

No 20 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1571 Flight on 30 January 1944 at Ratmalana under the control of No 222 Group.  It moved to Sigiriya on 19 April 1944 and disbanded on 26 September 1945.

No 21 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1572 Flight on 30 January 1944 at St Thomas Mount under the control of No 172 Wing.  It moved to Yelahanka on 31 March, joining No 225 Group and then to Cholavarum on 23 September, where it disbanded on 18 June 1945.

No 22 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1573 Flight on 30 January 1944 at Amarda Road under the control of No 231 Group.  It was transferred to No 228 Group in April 1945, moving to Ranchi on 6 October, where it disbanded on 14 November 1944.

No 23 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 10 March 1944 at Salbani.  It moved to Dhubalia in No 175 Wing on 3 September, being transferred to No 224 Group on 14 January 1945 disbanded on 31 May 1945.

No 24 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 15 July 1945 at B170 Westerland, later renamed RAF Sylt and disbanded on 17 July 1946 into Training Squadron, RAF Sylt.

No 25 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 15 July 1945 at B170 Westerland, later renamed RAF Sylt and disbanded on 17 July 1946 into Training Squadron, RAF Sylt.

No 26 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 15 April 1948 at Nicosia and disbanded on 19 February 1951.

No 27 Armament Practice Camp

This was formed on 1 January 1949 at Butterworth and disbanded on 20 September 1954.

Armament Practice Camp, Butterworth

This was formed on 1 April 1955 at Butterworth and disbanded on 30 April 1956.

Armament Practice Camp (Middle East)

This was formed on 31 January 1956 at Nicosia, moving to Ta Kali on 1 February and then to Habbaniya on 5 April, where it disbanded on 10 January 1957.

Armament Practice Station, Acklington

This was formed from No 2 APS, Spilsby on 1 May 1946 at Acklington under the control of No 12 Group,being transferred to No 81 Group on 25 February 1952 and disbanded  27 July 1956.

Armament Practice Station, Lubeck

This was formed on 1 May 1946 at Lubeck and disbanded on 30 September 1948.

Armament Practice Station, Spilsby

This was formed on 1 December 1945 at Spilsby and disbanded on 1 August 1946.

Armament Practice Station, Sylt

This was formed on 17 July 1946 at Sylt and disbanded on 29 February 1948.

Armament Practice Station, Sylt

It reopened on 1 June 1949 at Sylt and disbanded on 16 October 1961, when the station was handed over to the Luftwaffe.

No 1 Armament Practice Station

This was formed from Nos 11 and 18 APCs on 1 July 1945 at Fairwood Common under the control of No 11 Group and disbanded on 1 May 1946 into APS, Acklington.

No 2 Armament Practice Station

This was formed on 1 July 1945 at Bradwell Bay, moving to Spilsby on 8 January 1946 and was redesignated APS, Acklington on 1 May 1946.

No 3 Armament Practice Station

This was formed on 10 August 1945 at Hawkinge, moving to Charterhall on 1 November 1945, where it disbanded on 17 March 1946.

Armament School

This was formed as the RFC Armament School on 12 July 1917 at University College Athletic Ground, Perivale, Ealing, London. It moved to Hillingdon House, Uxbridge on 18 December 1917, dropping 'RFC' from its title on 1 April 1918 disbanded on 13 September 1919.

Armament Training Camp, Kuantan

This was formed on 16 October 1941 at Kuantan and was overrun during the Japanese invasion.

Temporary Armament Training Camp, Aldergrove

This was formed from on 2 March 1936 at Aldergrove under the control of Western Area and was redesignated No 2 ATC on 6 October 1936.

Temporary Armament Training Camp, Leuchars

This was formed in March 1935 at Leuchars and was redesignated Temporary ATS Leuchars  1 April 1938.

Temporary Armament Training Station, Leuchars

This was formed from the Temporary ATC, Leuchars on 1 April 1938 at Leuchars under the control of No 25 Group and disbanded on 3 September 1939 into No 8 ATS at Evanton.

Temporary Armament Training Camp, North Coates Fitties

This was formed on 6 October 1936 at North Coates Fitties and was redesignated Temporary ATS North Coates Fitties on 1 April 1938.

Temporary Armament Training Station, North Coates Fitties

This was formed from the Temporary ATC, Leuchars on 1 April 1938 at North Coates Fitties under the control of No 25 Group and disbanded on 15 August 1938.

No 1 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 January 1932 at Catfoss and was redesignated No 1 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 2 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 January 1932 at North Coates Fitties and was redesignated Temporary ATC North Coates Fitties on 6 October 1936.

No 2 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 6 October 1936 at Aldergrove, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 2 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 3 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 January 1932 at Sutton Bridge, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 3 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 3 Armament Training Camp

It reformed from No 18 Group APC on in November 1941 at Leuchars and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 4 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 January 1937 at West Freugh, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 4 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 4 Armament Training Camp

It reformed from No 19 Group APC on 5 November 1941 at Carew Cheriton and disbanded on 24 July 1942.

No 5 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 February 1937 at Penrhos, in Armament Group, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 5 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 6 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 May 1937 at Woodsford/Warmwell, in Armament Group, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 6 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 7 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 April 1938 at Acklington, under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 7 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 8 Armament Training Camp

This was formed on 1 September 1937 at Evanton, in Armament Group, being taken over by No 25 Group on 1 December 1937 and was redesignated No 8 Armament Training Station on 1 April 1938.

No 1 Armament Training Camp (France)

This was formed on 16 January 1940 at Perpignan la Salanque but its fate is unknown.

No 1 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 1 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Catfoss under the control of No 25 Group and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 2 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 2 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Aldergrove under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 3 AOS on 17 April 1939.

No 3 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 3 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Sutton Bridge under the control of No 25 Group and disbanded on 3 September 1939 into No 4 AOS.

No 4 Armament Training Station                                                                 

This was formed from No 4 ATC on 1 April 1938 at West Freugh under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 4 AOS on 17 April 1939.

No 5 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 5 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Penrhos under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 5 AOS on 18 September 1939.

No 6 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 6 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Woodsford/Warmwell under the control of No 25 Group and became part of No 10 AOS on 3 September 1939.

No 7 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 7 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Acklington under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 2 AOS on 15 November 1938.

No 8 Armament Training Station

This was formed from No 8 ATC on 1 April 1938 at Evanton under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 8 AOS on 3 September 1939.

No 9 Armament Training Station

This was formed on 1 June 1939 at Stormy Down under the control of No 25 Group and was redesignated No 7 AOS on 3 September 1939.

No 1 Bomber Defence Training Flight

This was formed within No 1668 HCU on in June 1945 at Bottesford on loan from No 12 Group.  It moved to Cottesmore on 17 September 1945 but when it disbanded is unknown.

Central Gunnery School

This was formed on 6 November 1939 at Warmwell under the control of No 25 Group.  in order to improve the standard of air gunnery in the RAF.  It moved to Castle Kennedy on 23 June 1941, Chelveston on 5 December, Sutton Bridge on 1 April 1942, Catfoss on 24 February 1944 and finally to Leconfield on 12 November 1945.  It was transferred to No 81 Group, Fighter Command on 1 November 1954 but disbanded on 31 December 1954 to form the Fighter Weapons School and the Coastal Command Gunnery School.

Empire Air Armament School

This was formed 18 April 1944 within No 25 Group at Manby.  It was transferred to No 21 Group in 1946 and amalgamated with the Empire Flying School on 31 July 1949 to form the RAF Flying College.

Fighter Command Missile Practice Camp

This was formed from No 1 GWTS on 1 June 1962 at Valley and was redesignated Strike Command Air-to-Air Missile Establishment on 30 April 1968.

Fighter Pilots Practice Camp, Setif

This was formed on 1 February 1943 at Setif and was redesignated Advanced Flying Unit, Setif on 30 June 1943.

Fighter Pilots Practice Flight, Blida

This was formed in May 1943 at Blida and was absorbed into the Advanced Flying Unit, Setif on 30 June 1943.

Fighter Weapons School

This was formed on 1 January 1955 at Leconfield, moving to Driffield in No 13 Group on 2 October 1957, where it and was absorbed into the CFE on 7 March 1958.

RAF (Middle East) Central Gunnery School

This was formed from No 1 METS on 1 March 1943 at El Ballah in Middle East Command as No 1 (ME) CGS, being redesignated RAF (ME) CGS on 25 April.  It was transferred to No 203 Group on 10 May 1943 and disbanded in December 1945.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed from Houton Bay Experimental Establishment on 16 March 1920 at Houton Bay and closed in September 1921.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed from Smoogroo Experimental Establishment on 16 March 1920 at Smoogroo and closed in 1921.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed on 8 May 1929 at Catfoss, although units were generally only hosted from around March to October each year, it was redesignated No 1 Armament Training Camp on 1 January 1932.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed in about July 1926 at North Coates Fitties, although units were generally only hosted from around March to October each year, it was redesignated No 2 Armament Training Camp on 1 January 1932.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed in about July 1926 at Sutton Bridge, although units were generally only hosted from around March to October each year, it was redesignated No 3 Armament Training Camp on 1 January 1932.

RAF Practice Camp

This was formed in about July 1926 at Weston Zoyland,  and its fate is unknown, although it seems to have continued hosting units into WW2.

Other flying training units

Aden Command

This was formed on 11 September 1940 at Sheikh Othman and disbanded on 1 October 1942.

Air Ambulance School

This was formed under the control of Technical Training Command, attached to No 107 OTU in 1944 at Leicester East.  No 107 OTUU became No 1333 TSCU on 12 March 1945 and the school disbanded on 27 April 1946.

Aircrew Synthetic Training Refresher School

This was formed from  on 28 April 1944 at Calcutta , to provide a range of synthetic training facilities to all aircrew categories. A night vision section was added on 1 December, which disbanded on 10 March 1945.  The school finally disbanded on 1 September 1945.

Air Support Command Examining Unit

This was formed from Transport Command Examining Unit on 1 August 1967 at Benson and was redesignated No 38 Group Air Transport Examining Unit on 1 September 1972.

All Weather Fighter Combat School

This was formed from All-Weather Fighter Leaders School on 15 March 1958 at West Raynham and was redesignated the Javelin OCS on 1 July 1962.

All Weather Fighter Leaders School

This was formed from Night Fighter Leaders School in July 1950 at West Raynham and was redesignated the All-Weather Fighter Leaders School on 15 March 1958.

All Weather Jet Refresher School.

This was formed on 29 July 1949 at Strubby as part of the RAF Flying College and disbanded on 1 July 1962.

All Weather Jet Refresher Squadron

This was formed in June 1955 at Weston Zoyland from part of No 12 FTS but its fate is unknown.

Bomber Command Bombing School

This was formed from the Central Bomber Establishment on 15 October 1952 at Scampton under the control of No 1 Group.  It moved to Lindholme on 15 November 1952 and was redesignated the Strike Command Bombing School on 30 April 1968.

Bomber Command Central Night Vision School

This was formed on 31 December 1945 at Worksop and disbanded on 1 March 1946.

The Bomber Command Instructors' School

This was formed from the Night Bomber Tactical School, Bombing Analysis School and other units on 5 December 1944 at Finningley under the control of No 93 Group.  Its task was to ensure that the command's instructors received training in instructional techniques.  On 14 February 1945 it was transferred to No 91 Group, then to No 7 Group in March.  The Bombing Analysis element moved to Workshop on 22 February and it absorbed the Engine Control Development Unit the following month.  On 21 December it reverted to No 91 Group control, with the Bombing Analysis element disbanding on 25  January 1946.  It finally moved to Scampton on 22 January 1947, where it was redesignated the Bomber Command Instrument Rating and Examination Flight on 15 June 1947.

Bomber Command Instrument Rating and Examining Flight

This was formed from The Bomber Command Instructors' School on 15 June 1947 at Scampton under the control of No 1 Group and disbanded on 10 March 1952.

Bomber Command Jet Conversion Flight

This was formed on 15 December 1950 at Binbrook, equipped with Meteors to provide familiarisation training to personnel in the operation of jet aircraft in preparation of the introduction of the Canberra.  It moved to Hemswell on 7 July 1952, to Coningsby in No 3 Group on 7 April 1953, before finally going to Marham on 16 November 1953, where it disbanded on 30 September 1954, its task being taken over by No 12 FTS.

Bomber Command Radar School

This was formed from the Gee-H Training Flight on 29 December 1944 at High Wycombe, moving to Feltwell in No 100 Group on 15 February 1946 and disbanded on 21 March 1946.

Bomber Command Signals School

This was formed from  on 9 June 1947 at Lakenheath but its fate is unknown.

Bomber Command Tactical School

This was formed on 17 October 1943 at Hemswell under the control of Bomber Command, until at least March 1944 and then to Worksop, where it disbanded on 18 May 1945.

BAFO Instrument Training Flight

This was formed from  on 10 May 1950 at Gutersloh and was redesignated 2nd TAF ITF on 1 September 1951.

Central Night Vision Training School

This was formed on 25 April 1943 at Upper Heyford,  moving to Worksop in No 91 Group on 13 February 1945, where it was transferred to Transport Command and was redesignated the Central Vision training School on 30 November 1946.

Central Synthetic Training Establishment

This was formed from Central School of Aircraft Recognition, Central Vision training School and Central Link Trainer School on 7 June 1948 at Kirton-in-Lindsey under the control of No 21 Group and was redesignated Link Trainer School on 20 August 1949

Coastal Command Anti U-Boat Devices School

This was formed from the Loran Training Unit on 20 April 1945 at Limavady under the control of No 17 Group and disbanded on 25 August 1945.

Coastal Command Fighter Affiliation Training Unit

This was formed from  on 1 September 1945 at Langham under the control of No 16 Group.  It moved to Chivenor in No 19 Group on 6 January 1946 and disbanded on 21 February 1946.

Coastal Command Flying Instructors School

This was formed from No 12 FIS on 23 February 1945 at St Angelo under the control of No 17 Group.  It moved to Turnberry on 9 June, being transferred to No 18 Group on 1 September and then moved to Tain on 13 November, where it disbanded on 20 October 1945 into the Coastal Command Instructors' School.

Coastal Command Gunnery School

This was formed from the Free Gunnery Section and the Lincoln and Vampire Squadron of the CGS on 1 January 1955 at Leconfield under the control of No 18 Group and disbanded on 31 December 1955.

Coastal Command Instructors' School

This was formed from the Coastal Command Flying Instructors' School and Coastal Command Ground Instructors' School on 29 October 1945 at Turnberry under the control of No 18 Group.  It moved to Tain on 12 November and disbanded on 1 April 1946.

No 1 Coast Defence Training Flight

This was formed from the Coast Defence Co-operation Flight on 23 May 1933 at Gosport, as the Coast Defence Training Flight, being redesignated No 1 CDTF on 1 August and disbanded on 1 April 1935 into the Coast Defence Development Unit.

No 2 Coast Defence Training Flight

This was formed from the Coast Defence Co-operation Flight on 21 August 1933 at Gosport and disbanded on 1 April 1935.

No 3 Coast Defence Training Flight

This was formed from the Coast Defence Co-operation Flight on 21 August 1933 at Gosport and disbanded on 1 April 1935.

Combined Anti-Submarine Tactical School

This was formed on 16 June 1943 at Maydown but its fate is unknown.

Day Fighter Leaders School

This was formed from Fighter Leaders School at Milfield on 27 December 1944 at Wittering, as part of the Central Fighter Establishment.  It moved with the CFE to Tangmere on 14 January 1945 and then to West Raynham on 1 October, where it remained until being and redesignated the Day Fighter Combat Squadron on 15 March 1958.

Desert Air Force Training Flight

This was formed on an unknown date at an unknown location, moving to Palata on 1 March 1944, Madna on 23 March, Canne on 5 May and finally to Sinello on 15 June, where it and was redesignated No 5 Refresher Flying Unit on 15 July 1944.

Engine Control Instructional Flight

This was formed from No 1 (Coastal) Engine Control Demonstration Unit on 17 June 1944 at Angle in No 19 Group.  It moved to Thorney Island in No 16 Group on 14 January 1945 and was then transferred to Transport Command on 30 July, moving to Harwell on 20 August, where it and was redesignated the School of Flight Efficiency on 31 December 1945 and moved to Brize Norton.

Far East Air Force Examining Squadron

This was formed within the Administration Wing on 13 March 1950 at Seletar and disbanded on 1 June 1951 into the FEAF Training Squadron.

Fighter Leaders School

This was formed on 15 January 1943 at Chedworth, as part of No 52 OTU, moving to Charmy Down in No 10 Group on 9 February.  It moved to Aston Down and No 9 Group on 16 August and then to Milfield, where it was absorbed into the CFE on 16 October 1944.

School of Flight Efficiency

This was formed on 31 December 1945 at Brize Norton and disbanded on 31 July 1946.

No 38 Group Air Transport Examining Unit

This was formed by redesignating No 46 Group ATEU  on 10 November 1975 at Upavon.  It was amalgamated with No 38 Group Standardisation Unit to form No 38 Group Examining Unit on 7 June 1976.

No 46 Group Air Transport Examining Unit

This was formed by redesignating the Air Support Command Examining Unit  on 1 September 1972 at Abingdon.  It moved to Upavon on 31 October 1973 where it was redesignated No 38 Group Air Transport Examining Unit on 10 November 1975.

No 1 Group Examining Unit

This was possibly formed on 17 November 1983 by redesignating No 38 Group Examining Unit at Odiham and disbanded on 1 July 1986

No 38 Group Examining Unit

This was formed on 7 Jun 1976 by amalgamating No 38 Group Air Transport Examining Unit and No 38 Group Standardisation Unit at Upavon and was probably redesignated No 1 Group Examining Unit on 17 November 1983.

No 92 Group Instructors Course/School/Flight

This was formed from  on 28 December 1942 at Upper Heyford, moving to Silverstone on 15 March 1944 and probably disbanded on 15 July 1945.

No 91 Group Navigation Instructors School

This was formed on 24 July 1945 at Little Horwood following the closure of the OTU at Honeybourne, where it joined No 92 Group Screened Instructors School and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

No 3 (Training) Group Navigation School

This was formed on 1 July 1919 at Mousehold Heath, moving to Spittlegate on 10 November 1919 but its fate is unknown.

No 231 Group Navigation School

This was formed on 3 May 1944 at Alipore but its fate is unknown.

No 92 Group Screened Instructors' School

This was formed on 17 April 1944 at Little Horwood, in order to provide a more consistent level of instruction in Navigation and Signals subjects at OTUs and disbanded on 24 July 1945.

No 1 Group Standardisation Unit

This was formed at Finningley on 28 August 1968 until at least September 1969 after which its fate is unknown.

No 38 Group Standardisation Unit

This was formed  at Benson on 1 August 1972, moving to Upavon on 10 November 1975, where it amalgamated with No 38 Group Air Transport Examining Unit to form No 38 Group Examining Unit on 7 June 1976.

Home Command Examining Unit

This was formed from the Home Command Training Flight on 8 August 1950 at White Waltham and disbanded on in 1951.

Home Command Examining Unit

This was formed from the Home Command Communication Squadron on 31 December 1951 at White Waltham and disbanded on 15 January 1959.

Home Command Training Flight

This was formed from the Reserve Command Training Flight on 1 August 1950 at White Waltham and was redesignated Home Command Examining Unit on 8 August 1950.

Joint Anti-Submarine School

This was formed on 19 November 1945 at Ballykelly in RAF in Northern Ireland.  It was transferred to No 18 Group on 31 March 1950 and disbanded on 30 June 1971.

Night Bomber Tactical School/Unit

This was formed on 17 August 1943 at High Wycombe, moving to Ingham in No 1 Group on 10 March 1944, Hemswell in May and finally to Finningley on 5 December, operating from Finningley's satellite at Worksop, where it and disbanded on 25 May 1945.

Night Vision Training School

This was formed on 27 June 1943 at Binbrook in No 1 Group but its fate is unknown.

Night Vision Training School

This was formed on 5 August 1943 at Newmarket in No 3 Group but its fate is unknown.

RAF Central Night Vision Training School

This had been formed by June 1945 at Finningley and was redesignated RAF Central Vision Training School on 1 March 1946.

RAF  Central School of Aircraft Recognition

This had been formed by 6 November 1942 at Douglas, Isle of Man, moving to Eastbourne in December  (No 27 Group), then to Southport in June 1943.  In January 1945 it moved to Sutton-on-Hull, where it closed from 5 February 1945 to 19 January 1946 before moving to Kirton-in-Lindsey on 7 June 1948, after which its fate is unknown.

RAF Central Vision Training School

This was formed from the RAF Central Night Vision Training School on 1 March 1946 at Worksop in No 91 Group and disbanded on in June 1948.

RAF College of Air Warfare

This was formed on 1 July 1962 by renaming the RAF Flying College and was absorbed into the RAF College on 1 April 1974.

RAF Flying College

This was formed on 1 June 1949 at RAF Manby, absorbing the Empire Flying School and Empire Air Armament School on 31 July 1949, its role being to provide advanced courses to aircrew in all aspects of air combat and battle management.  In September the All-weather Jet Refresher Squadron moved to its satellite, RAF Strubby, to be followed by the Jet Training Squadron on 24 May 1950.  The organisation had stabilised by November 1950 into No 1 Squadron (Bombers), No 2 Squadron (Fighters), No 3 Squadron (Handling) and No 4 Squadron (Development). 

In August 1952 the college took over the Specialist Navigation Course from the Central Navigation and Control School and by the mid 1950s the structure composed No 1 (Heavy) Squadron with Hastings, Valettas and Lincolns, No 2 Squadron with Canberras, Meteors and Vampires at Strubby, No 3 (Handling) Squadron and No 4 (Research and Development) Squadron.

On 12 April 1954 the Handling Squadron was transferred to the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down and on 1 July 1962 it was renamed the College of Air Warfare.

RAF (Malaya) Training Squadron

This was formed on 9 February 1953 at Seletar in Far East Air Force and disbanded on 31 March 1968.

RAF Post Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 767 Sqn FAA on 1 September 1972 at Leuchars in No 18 Group, to provide naval pilots with training on the Phantom and was redesignated Phantom Training Flight on 24 September 1974.

Radar Flight

This was formed in 1945 at Leicester East, moving to Snaith on 30 October and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 2 School of Ship Recognition

This was formed on 5 August 1944 at Colombo and disbanded on 15 June 1946.

Squadron and Flight Commanders School

This was formed on 16 July 1945 at Ossington in No 4 Group, moving to Doncaster on 16 July, then to Bramcote on 29 November, where it disbanded on 1 April 1946.

Strike Command Bombing School

This was formed from the Bomber Command Bombing School on 30 April 1968 at Lindholme in No 1 Group, moving to Scampton on 1 September 1972, where it merged into No 230 OCU on 1 July 1974.

Survival and Rescue Training Unit

This was formed from the School of ASR on 23 July 1945 at Calshot in , moving to Thorney Island on 5 August 1946 disbanded on 11 April 1949.

No 1 Tactical Exercise Unit

This was formed from No 1 Combat Training Wing on 1 January 1944 at Tealing.  It was tasked with providing operational training to fighter and fighter-bomber pilots and disbanded on 31 July 1944.

No 2 Tactical Exercise Unit

This was formed from No 2 Combat Training Wing on 15 October 1943 at Grangemouth in No 9 Group.  It was tasked with providing operational training to fighter and fighter-bomber pilots and disbanded on 25 June 1944.

No 3 Tactical Exercise Unit

This was formed on 14 March 1944 at Poulton, to provide a pool for surplus FR pilots on leaving No 41 OTU and was absorbed into No 41 OTU on 21 March 1944.

It reformed from No 4 TEU on 21 March 1944 at Annan in .  It was tasked with providing operational training to fighter and fighter-bomber pilots, moving to Aston Down on 17 July 1944 and disbanded on 18 December 1944 with aircraft and personnel going to No 55 OTU.

No 4 Tactical Exercise Unit

This was formed from No 55 OTU on 26 January 1944 at Annan in , It was tasked with providing operational training to fighter and fighter-bomber pilots and was redesignated No 3 TEU on 21 March 1944.

No 1 Torpedo Refresher School

This was formed from the Coastal Command Development Unit on 1 January 1943 at Tain in No 18 Group, opening on 21 January and disbanded on 28 January 1944.

No 2 Torpedo Refresher School

This was to have formed on 1 January 1943 at Leuchars but this was cancelled on 9 April 1943.

Transport Command Air Crew Examining Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1945 at Melbourne, moving to Bramcote in December and was redesignated Transport Command Examining Unit on 7 August 1946.

Transport Command Central Vision Training School

This was formed from the Night Vision School, Bomber Command on 30 November 1946 at Worksop and disbanded on 31 May 1958.

Transport Command Examining Unit/Staff

This was formed from 'the Transport Command Air Crew Examining Unit 7 August 1946 at Bramcote in No 4 Group, moving to Manston on 10 August 1946, joining No 46 Group.  It then moved to Brize Norton on 15 November 1947, Honington on 20 May or 2 July 1949, Dishforth on 15 May 1950 and finally Benson on 1 September 1958, where it was redesignated Air Support Command Examining Unit on 1 August 1967.

Transport Command Night Vision Instructors Training School

This was formed from Transport Command Night Vision Training School on 21 February 1945 at Llandow, moving to No 4 Group on 1 June and disbanded on 1 January 1946.

Transport Command Night Vision Training School

This was formed in April 1944 at Llandow and was redesignated the Transport Command Night Vision Instructors Training School on 21 February 1945.

Transport Command Signals Training Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1946 at Honington and disbanded in October 1947.

Western Union Examining Squadron

This was formed on 1 June 1950 at Little Rissington, to examine instructors from France, Belgium, the Netherlands and the RAF but disbanded on 31 October 1951.

[Pilots | Observers | Signals | Armament | Others]

 This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]