Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Miscellaneous Logistic Units (including Equipment/Stores Depots and Specialised Repair and Servicing units)


Prior to 1938 the RAF operated a number of support units tasked with the storage, servicing and repair of equipment but as the RAF expanded, the number needed increased and it was decided to adopt an standard nomenclature for these units, the term selected being 'Maintenance Unit' (MU).  Some existing units were redesignated whilst new ones would be formed in the forthcoming years.  Each MU was generally tasked with a specific role but a few were often responsible for a variety of tasks.  From time to time other units have been formed to carry out aircraft assembly, modification, preparation and 3rd/4th line maintenance and these have been included in this section

No 1 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Southburn, near Driffield were issued in September 1938, under the administration on No 2 MU.  In February 1939 administration was handed over to Dishforth and it was placed in Care & Maintenance until being transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939.  It was redesignated No 91 MU on 1 October 1939.

No 2 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Brafferton, near Boroughbridge were issued in September 1938, under the administration on No 2 MU.  In February 1939 administration was handed over to Dishforth and it was placed in Care & Maintenance until being transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939.  It was redesignated No 92 MU 1 October 1939.

No 3 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Swinderby (renamed Norton Disney on 4 October 1940) were issued in September 1938, being transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939 and was redesignated No 93 MU 1 October 1939.

No 4 Air Ammunition Park

This was formed by 17 February 1939 at Barnham, near Thetford, being transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939 and was redesignated No 94 MU 1 October 1939.

No 5 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Lord's Bridge, near Cambridge were issued in September 1938, with actual formation taking place on 16 January 1939.  It was transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939 and was redesignated No 95 MU 1 October 1939.

No 6 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Eynsham, near Oxford were issued in September 1938, with control being  transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939 and was redesignated No 96 MU 1 October 1939.

No 7 Air Ammunition Park

Instructions to mobilise this unit at Staple Halt, near Sandwich were issued in September 1938, with control being  transferred to No 42 Group on 19 June 1939 and was redesignated No 97 MU 1 October 1939.

No 122 Air Ammunition Park

This was formed 16 September 1942 at No 101 MU, Massawa, moving to Daba on 8 November, Lette near Benghazi in 31 December and from 1 November 1943 was referred to as No 122 MU (AAP), with the ORB ending in May 1944.

No 401 Air Ammunition Park

This was formed in No 83 Group on by December 1943 at Burrs Wood, and was redesignated No 401 Aviation Fuel and Ammunition Park 6 April 1944.

No 407 Air Ammunition Park

This was formed on 20 July 1943 at Gatwick, moving to Groombridge on 21 August and then back to Burrs Wood on 14 March 1944, where it was redesignated No 422 Aviation Fuel and Ammunition Park 6 April 1944.

No 422 Air Ammunition Park

This was due to form in No 84 Group on 20 January 1944 at Bicester, but eventually formed at Copped Hall, Epping on 3 February 1944, moving to Bury Lodge, also in Epping on21 February, where it was redesignated No 401 Aviation Fuel and Ammunition Park 6 April 1944.

 Air Ammunition Park, Far East

It was decided to form this unit on 18 March 1941 at Seletar, under the control of Far East Command, with a dump at Batak Quarry but was probably lost during the Japanese invasion and it was officially disbanded at Mingaladon with effect from 28 March 1942.

 Air Ammunition Park, Middle East

This was formed 17 November 1940 at Fuka, in Middle East Command, with dumps at Burg-el-Arab, Qotafiya, Ikingi and Amriya.  It moved to Sollum on 14 April 1941 and then to Maaten Bagush in May, where it disbanded in July 1941.

Aircraft Assembly Unit

This was formed in on 5 July 1941 at Port Sudan, where  it was redesignated No 117 MU on 19 October 1941.

Temporary Aircraft Assembly Unit

This was formed in on 10 November 1942 at Santa Cruz to assemble 50-75 Hurricanes a month in conjunction with Tata Aircraft Ltd and was redesignated Aircraft Erection Unit (India) on 30 June 1943.

No 437 Air Disbandment Disposal Park

This was formed in No 2 Group on 22 January 1946 at Massen and disbanded on 15 July.

No 438 Air Disbandment Disposal Park

This was formed in No 84 Group and disbanded on 15 August 1946.

No 439 Air Disbandment Disposal Park

This was formed in No 84 Group and disbanded on 15 July 1946.

Air Publications and Forms Centre

This was formed post January 1945 under the control of Mediterranean and Middle East at Cairo or Deversoir and disbanded on 31 March 1950.

Air Publications and Forms Store

This was formed on 1 November 1966 under the control of  at Kidbrooke, moving to Woolwich at the beginning of 1973 and possibly disbanded post 1980.

Air Publications and Forms Store

This was formed in December 1941 under the control of RAF Middle East at Cairo and disbanded by January 1944.

Air Publications and Forms Store

This was formed between July 1942 and January 1943 under the control of India Command at New Delhi and was redesignated Air Publications Unit by January 1943.

Air Publications and Forms Unit

This was formed between June and December 1944 under the control of No 218 Group at Algiers and disbanded post January 1945.

Air Publications Unit

This was formed by January 1944 under the control of RAF Middle East at Cairo, possibly moving to Deversoir and was redesignated Air Publications Unit post January 1945.

Aircraft Erection Unit, (India)

This was formed in on 30 June 1943 at Tata Aircraft Ltd, Santa Cruz from the Temporary Aircraft Assembly Unit and was redesignated No 304 MU on 9 September 1943.

Aircraft Erection Unit, (Iraq & Persia)

This was formed in on 2 April 1943 at Shaibah out of No 119 MU to assemble fighters, mainly Hurricanes for India and Russia, it disbanded on 5 January 1945.

Aircraft Factory, Teheran

This was formed in on 1 April 1942 at Teheran and was redesignated No 138 MU on 6 June 1942.

ASR Major Inspection and Preparation Unit

This was formed between December 1944/January 1945 under the control of No 18 Group at Thornaby and disbanded post January 1945.

No 1 Balloon Repair Depot

This was formed at Cardington on 1 January 1940 under the control of Balloon Command but was transferred to No 43 Group, Maintenance Command as No 26 MU on 1 July.

'X' Balloon Repair Section

This was formed at Heliopolis in 1918, disbanding on 25 May 1919.

Balloon Repair Shop/Section

This was formed at Arques within No 1 Aircraft Depot in 1918, disbanding on 10 October 1919.

No 1 Balloon Repair Unit

This was formed at Bowlee, Manchester under the control of No 33 Group on 1 April 1944, disbanding on 9 November.

No 2 Balloon Repair Unit

This was formed at Kidbrooke on 1 August 1944, disbanding on 24 March 1945.

No 1 Balloon and Tentage Repair Unit

This was formed by redesignating No 1 Hydrogen Supply and Balloon Repair Unit at Taranto on 9 November 1944, disbanding in January 1945.

Bengal Maintenance Wing

This was formed in on 13 January 1943 at No 62 Free School Street, Calcutta to control ASPs and RSUs, becoming operational on 1 April but  was redesignated No 186 Wing on 1 September 1943.

Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Unit

This formed at Marham on 1 July 1948 to replace the disbanded Nos 1 & 3 Group Maintenance and Servicing Units but its fate is unknown.  It reformed at Binbrook on 21 July 1952 from the Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Section under the control of No 1 Group, moving to Lindholme on 16 November 1953, where it was redesignated the Bomber Command Modification Centre on 1 September 1954.

Bomber Command Aircraft Maintenance Unit

This had been existence at Marham in 1948 but reformed on 21 July 1952 at Binbrook, after which its fate is unknown but possibly absorbed into the Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Unit.

Bomber Command Modification Centre

This was formed in on 1 September 1954 at Lindholme from the Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Unit.  It was transferred to No 3 Group on 1 April and moved to Hemswell on 1 August, being transferred to No 1 Group on 15 July 1958.  It disbanded on 15 October 1962.

Bomber Command Supply Support Unit

This was formed in on 15 January 1956 at Binbrook in No 1 Group, moving to Luqa on 10 November, where it disbanded on 15 January 1957.

Central Defect Recording Establishment

This formed at Wittering on 1 June 1950 and disbanded on 31 July 1952.

Central Supply Depot

This was formed in on 1 October 1922 at Basrah in Basrah Group but its fate is unknown.

RAF Element, No 1 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 December 1943 at Bengal & Assam Railway Co workshops, Kanchrapara in No 226 Group and disbanded on 7 November 1945.

RAF Element, No 2 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on in June 1943 at Southern Railway Workshops, Golden Rock, Trichinopoly  and disbanded on 31 January 1946.

RAF Element, No 3 Civil Maintenance Unit   This was formed as CRO on 12 April 1943 at Bangalore, moving to Cawnpore on 10 January 1944 and disbanded on 1 December 1945.

RAF Element, No 4 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 October 1943 at Tata Aircraft Ltd, Dum Dum in No 226 Group and disbanded on 31 January 1947.

RAF Element, No 5 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 30 October 1943 at Tata Aircraft Ltd, Barrackpore in No 226 Group and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

RAF Element, No 6 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 3 March 1944 at Tata Aircraft Ltd, Poona in No 226 Group and disbanded on 20 November 1945.

RAF Element, No 7 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed at Agra  but its fate is unknown.

RAF Element, No 8 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 16 November 1943 at M/s Allen Berry Co Ltd, 62 Hazra Road, Calcutta in ACSEA and disbanded on 14 May 1944.

RAF Element, No 9 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 16 November 1943 at India Air Survey & Transport Co Ltd in ACSEA and disbanded on 1 February 1945.

RAF Element, No 10 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 16 November 1943 at The Barrage Balloon Rrepair Shop, Ramrajatolla in ACSEA and disbanded on 25 November 1945.

RAF Element, No 11 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 22 January 1944 at Bombay in No 226 Group and disbanded on 31 March 1946.

RAF Element, No 12 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 30 March 1944 at Tata Erection Unit, Santa Cruz in No 226 Group and disbanded on 15 December 1945.

RAF Element, No 14 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 23 March 1944 at Hyderabad in No 226 Group and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

RAF Element, No 15 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 23 March 1944 at Amritsar in No 226 Group and disbanded on 6 October 1944.

RAF Element, No 16 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 23 March 1944 at Bombay in No 226 Group and disbanded on 31 January 1946.

RAF Element, No 17 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 December 1944 at Belchurria, Calcutta in No 230 Group and disbanded on 25 September 1945.

RAF Element, No 18 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 30 September 1944 at Bakshi-ka-Telab in No 226 Group and disbanded on 1 December 1945.

RAF Element, No 19 Civil Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 November 1944 at Barrackpore in No 230 Group and disbanded on 10 November 1945.

No 1 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 9 April 1943 in Calcutta as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 31 October 1945.

No 2 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 22 March 1943 in Bombay as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 31 October 1945.

No 3 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 25 March 1943 in New Delhi as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 31 October 1945.

No 5 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed in April 1943 in Madras and closed on 31 October 1945.

No 6 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 1 June 1943 in Colombo as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 22 May 1944.

No 7 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 1 May 1943 in Karachi as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 22 May 1944.

No 8 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 12 July 1943 in Lahore as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 31 October 1945.

No 9 Civil Repair Organisation (India)

This was formed on 24 August 1943 in Cawnpore as No 1 CRO (MT) and closed on 31 October 1945

Coastal Command Aircraft Preparation and Modification Flight

This was formed in No 18 Group at Valley on 12 March 1951, moving to St Mawgan and No 19 Group on 28 May, where it was redesignated Coastal Command Modification Centre on 15 July 1954.

Coastal Command Modification Centre

This was formed in on 17 July 1954 at St Mawgan from the Coastal Command Preparation and Modification Unit in No 19 Group and it disbanded on 31 December 1955.

Coastal Command Preparation and Modification Unit

This was formed in on 12 May 1951 at St Mawgan in No 19 Group, from the Coastal Command Preparation Flight at Ballykelly.  It was redesignated Coastal Command Modification Centre on 15 July 1954.

Coastal Command Preparation Pool

This was formed in June 1944 at Bircham Newton in No 16 Group, from No 3504 Servicing Unit and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

Dakota Modification Centre

This was formed in March 1944 at Doncaster in No 46 Group to bring Dakotas, newly arrived from the USA, up to the current standard required by the Group.  It moved to Kemble where it was redesignated Transport Aircraft Modification Unit in October 1944.

Defence Aviation Repair Agency

This was formed on 1 April 1999 at St Athan by amalgamating the RAF Maintenance Group Defence Agency and the Naval Aircraft Repair Agency.  It provided maintenance and repair facilities to fixed and rotary wing aircraft of both services but was absorbed into the Defence Support Group on 1 April 2008.

Electronic Counter Measures Modification Centre

This was formed in No 1 Group at Finningley on 30 September 1963, disbanding on 25 January 1971.

'A' Equipment Depot (Temporary)

This was formed at Hendon on 2 February 1937 under the control of No 11 Group, taking over responsibility for clothing equipment from No 1 Equipment Depot at Kidbrooke.  It was redesignated 'A' Temporary MU by July 1938.

'B' Equipment Depot

This was formed at Citroen Works, Brook Green, Hammersmith on 11 January 1937 to handle aerodrome equipment and marine stores.  It operated a sub-depot from 1 February at the Michelin Works, Sloane Avenue SW3 and was redesignated 'B' Temporary MU 0n 1 August 1938.

C' Equipment Depot (Temporary)

This was formed at the Daimler Works, Sandy Lane, Coventry on 12 April 1937 under the control of No 24 Group and was redesignated 'C' Temporary MU on 1 August 1938.

'D' Equipment Depot

This was formed at Wembley on 1 February 1938, possibly from No 1 MT Storage Unit  and was redesignated 'D' Temporary MU on 15 October 1938.

'E' Equipment Depot

This was formed on 11 February 1938 at Alexandra South Dock, Newport and was probably redesignated 'E' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit around 1 August 1938.

No 393 Equipment Depot

This was formed in Hong Kong on 31 March 1946, disbanding on 1 April 1947

No 431 Equipment Depot

This was formed from No 431 Equipment Park, probably in Eindhoven, on 27 April 1946, under the control of No 85 Group but it was at Altona by 19 October 1948, where it disbanded on 18 October1953.

It reformed the same day from 2nd TAF Base Equipment Park at Grove but disbanded again on 1 December 1955

Temporary Equipment Depot

This was formed at White City Buildings, Shepherds Bush, London W6 on 29 April 1937 as an element of 'B' Equipment Depot and was used for the storage and supply of airscrews and MT spares.  Its fate is unknown.

No 1 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed on 1 June 1945 for the disposal of ground equipment at Balderton but was redesignated No 254 MU on 14 June.

No 4 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed on 1 June 1945 for the disposal of ground equipment at Fulbeck but was redesignated No 255 MU on 14 June.

No 7 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed on 1 June 1945 for the disposal of ground equipment at Barkston Heath but was redesignated No 256 MU on 14 June.

No 8 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed on 11 June 1945 for the disposal of ground equipment at Toome but was redesignated No 257 MU on 14 June.

No 432 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed on 8 September 1945 under the control of BAFO, but its fate is unknown.

No 433 Equipment Disposal Depot

This was formed under the control of BAFO and disbanded on 27 April 1946.

It reformed on 1 February 1947, again in BAFO, at Slade and disbanded on 30 June 1948.

Equipment and Supplies Depot

This was formed in Aden on 15 September 1939 and probably closed around 23 April 1946, when the ORB ends.

Fighter Command Control and Reporting Maintenance Unit

This was formed in No 81 Group but a date has not been found, it was redesignated the School of Control and Reporting on 16 March 1953.

Fighter Command Modification Centre

This was formed in on 1 June 1958 at North Weald in No 11 Group from No 2 FCMC, moving to Horsham St Faith on 15 October 1958, where it disbanded on 11 September 1961.

No 1 Fighter Command Modification Centre

This was formed in on 11 March 1957 at Leconfield in No 81 Group from No 11 Group Modification Centre, moving to Driffield and No 13 Group on 2 October 1957, where it disbanded on 1 June 1958.

No 2 Fighter Command Modification Centre

This was formed in on 11 March 1957 at North Weald in No 11 Group from No 12 Group Modification Centre and was redesignated Fighhter Command Modification Centre on 1 June 1958.

Fleet Air Arm Maintenance Unit

This was formed in No 17 Group at Gosport from a number of miscellaneous FAA Repair units on 1 May 1940.  During 1941 it began to concentrate its work on Coastal Command aircraft and on 3 July 1942 was redesignated No 3502 Serving Unit.

Flying Training Command Modification Centre

This was formed at Hullavington under No 23 Group on 16 August 1954 and disbanded on 31 July 1956.

Forward Equipment Unit

This was formed by redesignating the Base Maintenance Unit, AEAF at Stapleford Tawney on 28 January 1944, moving to Bicester on 17 February.  It was transferred to the control of No 84 Group on 1 April but by 15 April it had been transferred to No 85 Group.  It was taken over by Maintenance Command on 1 January 1945 and disbanded into No 246 MU.  For a detailed description of it role, click here.

No 511 Forward Repair Unit

The nucleus of this unit was formed on 6 June 1943 as No 511 Aircraft and MT Repair Unit at Henlow but by 19 October it had been redesignated No 511 Forward Repair Unit.  It moved to Odiham under the control of HQ AEAF on 16 November and was transferred to No 43 Group in 10 January 1944.  It then reverted to AEAF under No 86 (Base) Group on 1 April and in July was redesignated the Forward Repair Unit.  It operated from the UK immediately following the invasion but in September the advanced element moved to Old Sarum to begin the journey to the continent.  It was composed of three main sections, Base Aircraft Salvage Unit (BASU), Base Aircraft Repair Unit (BARU) and Base MT Repair Unit (BMTU)  Each of the sections made its way to the continent independently as follows: -

Advanced Element

Date Location
 3 Sep 1944 Fareham
6 Sep 1944 B70 (Antwerp/Deurne)
24 Oct 1944 Wevelghem

 BASU Element

Date Location
8 Oct 1944 Orphanage School near Ypres

 BARU Element

Date Location
8 Oct 1944 B70 (Antwerp/Deurne)
27 Oct 1944 near Courtrai

 BMTU Element

Date Location
 7 Nov 1944 Caserne Zellick, Brussels

 

The main HQ element moved to Odiham on 7 November 1944 by which time the various element were at the locations as shown above.  However, its existence on the continent was brief as it disbanded on 28 November with the BASU becoming No 3 Base Recovery Depot, BARU becoming No 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) and the BMTU becoming No 5 MT Base Depot.

For a detailed description of its role, click here.

General Reconnaissance Aircraft Preparation Pool

This was formed on 7 May 1944 at Haverfordwest in No 19 Group to provide an adequate supply of Wellingtons, Liberators and Halifaxes for the Group.  It moved to St Davids on 1 October, where disbanded in January 1946.

No 2 Group Disbandment Centre

This was formed by redesignating No 2 Group Support Unit at Fersfield on 1 August 1945, its role being to receive units prior to their disbandment and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

No 83 Group Disbandment Centre

This was formed by redesignating No 83 Group Support Unit at Dunsfold on 1 August 1945, its role being to receive units prior to their disbandment and was absorbed into No 84 GDC on 28 October 1945.

No 84 Group Disbandment Centre

This was formed by redesignating No 84 Group Support Unit at Lasham on 1 August 1945, its role being to receive units prior to their disbandment and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

No 38 Group Parachute Maintenance and Servicing Unit

This was formed at Netheravon on 1 February 1944 to replace the disbanded Parachute Maintenance Section.  It moved to Upper Heyford in May 1949, where it disbanded on 10 June 1950.

Hamilton Glider Erection Detachment

This was formed in 1943 at Lasham by General Aircraft Ltd, moving to West Raynham on 10 November and then North Luffenham on 29 December, after which its fate is unknown.

No 1 Heavy Glider Maintenance Unit

This was formed as the Heavy Glider Maintenance Unit on 1 May 1943 at Hurn to repair, maintain and modify the gliders of No 38 Wing.  It moved to Netheravon on 6 May, where it became No 1 HGMU on 16 August and it amalgamated with No 235 MU to form No 1 HGSU on 25 March 1944.

No 2 Heavy Glider Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 16 August 1943 at Snailwell in No 12 Group to store, repair, maintain and modify the heavy gliders stored around the country on 24 Bomber Command station it disbanded on 15 March 1944 and was replaced by 15 Glider Servicing Echelons under the control of No 1 HGSU.

Hercules Power Plant Repair & Assembly Centre

This was formed at Hullavington on 24 June 1963 but its fate is unknown.

No 1 Hydrogen Supply & Balloon Repair Unit

Originally formed as No 1 Hydrogen Unit on 27 May 1943 at Bone, it was later renames as above to supply hydrogen to the Beach Balloon Parties.  It moved to Tindja on 31 May and then boarded a LST on 29 November, arriving in Taranto on 4 December it was transferred from MACAF to No 214 Group on 25 October 1944, being redesignated Balloon and Tentage Repair Unit on 9 November.

Kittyhawk Repair Unit

This was formed at Ismailia on 10 April 1942 being redesignated No 3 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 15 May.

No 1 Lancaster Serving Unit

This was formed at Pomigliano on 15 July 1945 and later took on the role of repatriating servicemen from Italy to the UK, being redesignated No 1 Bomber Transport Unit on 15 February 1946.

No 2 Lancaster Serving Unit

This was formed at Bari on 15 July 1945, being redesignated No 2 Bomber Transport Unit on 15 February 1946.

RAF Maintenance Base, Far East

This was formed on 16 June 1948 at Seletar by amalgamating Nos 314, 389 and 390 MU and it was redesignated RAF Base, Seletar on 15 May 1951.

It reformed on 1 May 1953 at Seletar from No 390 MU but disbanded on 1 December 1960, being split into Nos 389 and 390 MUs.

 No 1 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Ludendorf and disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 2 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Duren  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 3 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Buckheim  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 4 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Hangelar  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 5 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Hangelar  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 6 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Merheim  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 7 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Merheim  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 8 Maintenance Party

This was formed on by 1919 at Bickendorf  disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 1 Group Maintenance and Servicing Unit

This had been formed from No 1 Group Major Servicing Unit by March 1946 at Lindholme, moving to Scampton on 10 April, where it disbanded into the Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Unit on 1 July 1948.

No 3 Group Maintenance and Servicing Unit

This had been formed from No 3 Group Major Servicing Unit by August 1946 at Wyton, moving to Mildenhall on 15 August, where it disbanded into the Bomber Command Acceptance and Modification Unit on 1 July 1948.

'A' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This Maintenance Unit was formed by July 1938 at RAF Hendon and was transferred to No 40 Group on 6 March 1939.  It moved to the Palace of Industry in Wembley on 28 June 1939 and was redesignated 'A' MU Sub-unit under the control of 'B' MU on 1 July 1939.  It was transferred to No 55 Wing on 1 August 1942 and was redesignated No 212 MU on 1 December 1943.

'B' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from 'B' Equipment Depot on 1 August 1938 at Citroen Works, Brook Green, Hammersmith, probably under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to Maintenance Command on 1 January 1939 and then No 40 Group on 6 March before being absorbed into 'A' MU on 1 June 1941.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
White City by Apr 1941 - Jun 1941
Fulham Road by Apr 1941 - Jun 1941

Commanding Officers: -

16 May 1938               Gp Capt J A Stone

'C' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from 'C' Equipment Depot on 1 August 1938 at the Daimler Works, Sandy Lane, Coventry, probably under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to Maintenance Command on 1 January 1939 and then No 40 Group on 6 March 1939.  It was destroyed by enemy action on 14 November 1940.

'D' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 MT Storage Unit (which may have been redesignated 'D' Equipment Depot by this time?) on 15 October 1938 at Wembley, probably under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to Maintenance Command on 1 January 1939 and then No 40 Group on 6 March 1939.  It redesignated 'D' Maintenance Sub-Unit under 'B' MU on 1 July 1939 and was absorbed into 'A' MU on 1 June 1941.

'E' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was initially designated 'E' (Temporary) Equipment Unit and formed on 11 February 1938 at Alexandra South Dock, Newport, probably under the control of No 24 Group.  It was probably redesignated 'E' (Temporary) MU around 1 August 1938 and was transferred to Maintenance Command on 1 January 1939, No No 40 Group on 16 March 1939 and then No 55 Wing on 2 August 1942.  It was redesignated No 214 MU on 1 December 1943.

'F' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 October 1938 from No 2 MT Storage Depot at Kenley within Maintenance Command, being transferred to the control of No 40 (Maintenance) Group on 6 March 1939.  It moved to RAF Waddington on 15 April 1939 and to Kettering on 17 December 1941 where it was redesignated No 2 MT Store and later No 236 Maintenance Unit.

'G' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 3 MT Storage Unit on 15 October 1938 at Mousehold, near Norwich under the control of Maintenance Command.  Control was transferred to No 40 Group on 6 March 1939.  It was fate is unknown on unknown.

'H' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 Aircraft Storage Unit Waddington on 15 October 1938 at Waddington but was absorbed into No 5 MU on 2 March 1939.

It was reformed on 20 March 1939 at Heath Hall Works, Dumfries under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 1 August 1942 and it was redesignated No 220 MU on 1 December 1943.

'K' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 21 August 1939 at Anglo-Cider Mills, Shepton Mallet under the control of No 42 Group.  It was transferred to MAP as No 6 MAP Store on 1 January 1941.

'L' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 6 December 1939 as a Clothing Equipment Bond at Stanley Street, Salford under the control of No 40 Group.  It was absorbed into 'R' MU, Glossop on 1 June 1941.

'M' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 June 1940 as an Equipment Holding Unit at Kidbrooke.  It was absorbed into 'A' MU as an appendage on 1 August 1941.

'O' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 22 July 1940 as a Furniture Storage centre at Sheffield,  Its fate is unknown.

'P' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 June 1940 at Ruislip as a under the control of No 40 Group.  Its fate is unknown but existed until at least April 1941.

'Q' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 27 July 1940 as a Clothing and Barrack Equipment Depot at Templeborough Works, Tinsley Road, Sheffield.  Its fate is unknown.

'R' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 27 July 1940 Worsted Mills, Hadfield, nr Manchester.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 1 August 1942 and on 10 October it moved to Stanley Street, Salford.  It was redesignated No 221 MU on 1 December 1943.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
No 12  Site - Ardwick ?
No 2 Site - Sheffield ?

'S' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 March 1941 as a Clothing and Barrack Equipment Depot at Nottingham Ice Rink, Stoney Street, Nottingham.  Control was transferred from No 40 Group to No 55 Wing on 1 August 1942 and on 28 May 1943 it moved to 33 Stoney Street, Nottingham, where it was redesignated No 227 MU on 1 December 1943.

'T' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 May 1942 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Wakefield.  Control was transferred from No 40 Group to No 55 Wing on 1 August 1942 and it was redesignated No 230 MU on 1 December 1943.

'Z' (Temporary) Maintenance Unit

This was formed in 1941 at Seletar.  It is presumed to have been lost to the Japanese.

No 1 (India) Maintenance Unit

This was formed from the Aircraft Depot India on 20 January 1942 at Drigh Road under the control of Air Forces in India.  It was redesignated No 301 MU on 18 March 1942.

No 2 (India) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 January 1942 at Allahbad under the control of Air Forces in India.  It was redesignated No 302 MU on 18 March 1942.

No 3 (India) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 3 December 1941 at Ambala under the control of Air Forces in India.  It was redesignated No 303 MU on 18 March 1942.

No 4 (India) Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1942 at Asansol under the control of Air Forces in India.  It was redesignated No 304 MU on 18 March 1942.

Maintenance Wing North West India

This was formed on 23 August 1943 at Peshawar under the control of No 226 Group to administer FRDs, RSUs and Equipment Parks in North-West India.  It was redesignated No 187 Wing on 1 September 1943.

Maintenance Wing (Malta)

This was formed in April 1943 at Kalafrana, Malta under the control of AHQ Malta but disbanded on 1 November 1943.

No 5 Group Major Servicing Section

This was formed at Syerston on 6 April 1945 but its fate in unknown.

No 1 Group Major Servicing Unit

This was formed at Lindholme on 19 October 1945 and was redesignated No 1 Group Maintenance and Servicing Unit by March 1946.

No 3 Group Major Servicing Unit

This was formed at Wyton on 19 October 1945 and was redesignated No 3 Group Maintenance and Servicing Unit by August 1946.

No 1 (Middle East) Advanced Aircraft Depot

This was formed on 1 May 1942 at Burg-el-Arab from the Advanced Aircraft Depot and was redesignated No 136 MU on 25 May 1942.

No 2 (Middle East) Advanced Aircraft Depot

This was formed on 1 May 1942 at Beersheba and was disbanded on 10 February 1943.

No 3 (Middle East) Advanced Aircraft Depot

This was formed on 15 May 1942 at Ishkanariya and was redesignated No 137 MU on 25 May 1942.

No 11 Group Modification Centre

This was formed at Odiham on 1 December 1954, moving to Leconfield on 10 March 1956 , where it was redesignated No 1 Fighter Command Modification Centre on 11 March 1957.

No 12 Group Modification Centre

This was formed at Horsham St Faith on 1 December 1954, where it was redesignated No 2 Fighter Command Modification Centre on 11 March 1957.

Parachute Servicing Unit

This was formed at Monopoli on 1 June 1944 but was redesignated No 28 Repair Unit on 27 June.

Parachute Support Unit

This was formed by amalgamating The Balloon Unit with the Transport Command Parachute Servicing Unit at Hullavington on 1 July 1967.  It was transferred from No 46 Group to No 38 Group on 10 November 1975 but was absorbed into RAF Hullavington on 2 August 1982.

Publications and Forms Store

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of India Command at New Delhi and disbanded by January 1943.

RAF Reclamation and Retreading Unit

This was formed from the RAF Retreading Unit between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of Middle East Command at Heliopolis and was split into Nos 1 & 2 Tyre Reclamation Repair Units between June and December 1944.

RAF Retreading Unit

This was formed between July 1942 and January 1943 under the control of RAF Middle East at Tura and was redesignated the RAF Reclamation and Retreading Unit between June 1943 and January 1944.

Salonika Aircraft Park

This was formed on in December 1917 at Mikra Bay from 'Z' Aircraft Park and disbanded on 24 April 1919.

2nd TAF Modification Unit

This was formed on 2 January 1956 at Buckeburg , moving to Laarbruch on 1 February 1958 where it came under the control of No 83 Group.  Its tasking was transferred to No 420 MU and it disbanded on 1 January 1967.

Special Installation Flight/Squadron

This was formed on around August 1942 at Colerne in No 218 MU as the Special Installation Flight to install radar equipment into a wide range of aircraft type.  On 29 February 1948 it was transferred to No 32 MU at St Athan, then to No 49 MU at Colerne on 5 October 1953 and then to No 60 MU at Dishforth on 1 March 1962.  It moved with No 60 MU to Leconfield on 2 February 1966 after which its fate is unknown although by this time it was the titled Special Installation Squadron.

Special Installation Unit

This was formed on 13 October 1942 at Defford and was still in existence until at least September 1946, after which its fate is unknown.

No 1 Stores/Equipment  Depot

This depot previously existed from 1 January 1917 as Greenwich Stores Depot until moving to Kidbrooke and being redesignated No 1 Stores Depot on 13 September 1917, it disbanded sometime after 1 May 1919 but reformed on 1 March 1920 at Kidbrooke.  It was redesignated No 1 Equipment Depot on 2 February 1937 and was redesignated No 1 Maintenance Unit on 9 April 1938.

Date Officer Commanding
 1 Mar 1920 Wg Cdr Malcolm Spicer
 1 Sep 1923 Gp Capt Albert Fletcher
20 Feb 1928 Gp Capt George Laing
10 Feb 1932 Wg Cdr Rudell W Thomas
 1 Nov 1932 Gp Capt Lawrence Auker

 No 2 Stores Depot

This was formed on 1 April 1924 at Broadheath, Altrincham in No 3 Group, it was redesignated No 2 Maintenance Unit on 9 April 1938.

Date Officer Commanding
 1 Apr 1924 Sqn Ldr William J Waddington

17 Jul 1928

Sqn Ldr John Walker

17 Oct 1932

Sqn Ldr Thomas S James

No 3 Stores/Equipment Depot

It was formed on 1 January 1917 as Milton Stores Depot at Milton, Steventon in Berkshire and was redesignated No 3 Stores Depot, coming under the control of No 1 Group on 1 April 1918.   It was redesignated No 3 Equipment Depot on 2 February 1937 and then No 3 Maintenance Unit on 9 April 1938.

Date Officer Commanding
24 Sep 1919 Wg Cdr Sacheverell A Hebden
10 Nov 1920 Wg Cdr Charles G Smith
15 Aug 1924 Wg Cdr Edward J Sawyer
23 Apr 1928 Wg Cdr Rudell W Thomas
 2 Nov 1930 Sqn Ldr George Stevens
11 Jul 1932 Wg Cdr Thomas Fawdry
 1 May 1934 Gp Capt Ephraim W Havers

No 4 Stores/Equipment  Depot

It was formed on 13 September 1917 at No 1 Albany Street, London NW, moving moved to Ruislip on 22 August 1918.  It was redesignated No 4 Equipment Depot on 2 February 1937 and then No 4 Maintenance Unit on 9 April 1938.

Date Officer Commanding
 7 Apr 1920 Sqn Ldr Thomas O Lyons
19 Apr 1920 Wg Cdr Walter J D Pryce
 1 Sep 1923 Wg Cdr Thomas O Lyons
16 Mar 1926 Wg Cdr Frank H Kirby VC
29 Mar 1927 Wg Cdr William R Bruce
 6 Jan 1930 Wg Cdr William Millett
22 Sep 1930 Wg Cdr Walter F Bryant
 1 Sep 1931 Wg Cdr William E Aylwin
18 Jan 1933 Wg Cdr George Stevens
 6 Jun 1935 Wg Cdr William B Cushion

No 5 Stores Depot

This was formed on 13 September 1917 at Fulham from the Balloon Stores Depot and by November 1918 had moved to the Empress Hall in Earl's Court.  It moved to Kingsnorth on 27 November 1919 and was transferred from Coastal Area to Southern Area at the same time but was redesignated Balloon Stores Depot (Home) on 16 March 1920.

It had reformed by 1939 at Cheltenham but was redesignated No 7 MU on 15 April 1939.

No 6 Stores Depot/The Packing Depot

This was formed on 13 September 2017 at West Ascot from the Transport Stores Depot and by 31 December 1918 was at the Royal Ascot Hotel in the town, where it was redesignated The Packing Depot on 21 September 1920.

It had reformed by 1938 at Carlisle but was redesignated No 14 MU on 26 September 1938.

Date Officer Commanding
26 Aug 1919 Sqn Ldr Edye R Manning
 1 Jul 1920 Flt Lt Donald W Wilson
 8 May 1922 Sqn Ldr Edward J Sayer
xx xxx 1926 Sqn Ldr Paul Adams
23 Nov 1928 Sqn Ldr Frank Tedman
 7 Feb 1931 Sqn Ldr Edwin H Eldridge
 8 Feb 1932 Sqn Ldr John H Dale
22 Aug 1935 Sqn Ldr Arthur E Sutton-Jones
15 Jun 1938 Sqn Ldr L H Vernon

No 7 Stores Depot

This was formed on 7 February 1918 at Hurst Park and was redesignated No 1 (MT) Depot on 7 March 1918.

It reformed on 11 May 1918 at Mexborough in North Eastern Area, moving to Doncaster on 12 February 1919, where it disbanded in January 1920.

It had reformed, once again, by 1938 at Stafford but was redesignated No 16 MU on 9 April 1938.

No 11 Stores Depot

This was formed on 1 April 1937 at Chilmark but was redesignated No 11 MU on 20 March 1939.

No 24 Stores Depot

This was formed on 10 February 1938 at Ternhill from No 4 ASU but was redesignated No 24 MU on 28 March 1938.

No 26 Stores Depot                                  

his was formed on 10 March 1938 at Cardington from No 2 ASU but was immediately redesignated No 26 MU.

No 27 Stores Depot

This was formed on 10 March 1938 at Shawbury from No 3 ASU but was immediately redesignated No 27 MU.

Stores Depot

This was formed from 'X' Aircraft Depot in May 1920 at Aboukir and merged with the Engine Repair Depot on 7 October 1925 to form the RAF Depot, Middle East.

Strike Command Air to Surface Missile Support Unit

This was formed from the Martel Servicing and Support Unit at Marham on 30 April 1968 and may still be in existence in some form

Subsidiary Repair Depot

This was formed at Abu Sueir on 7 September 1939 to provide operational units with serviceable aircraft but was probably absorbed into No 102 MU

HQ Task Force Hard Rock

This was formed under the control of No 41 Group on 1 March 1957 at Wellesbourne Mountford to undertake the construction of the instrumentation station for the Hebrides Guided Weapons Establishement.

Technical Training Command Major Servicing Flight/Unit

This was formed as the Technical Training Command Major Servicing Flight on 15 November 1947  under the control of No 27 Group at Debden, being redesignated the Technical Training Command Major Servicing Unit on 1 December 1948.  It disbanded on 31 December 1954.

Transport Aircraft Modification Section

This was formed on in March 1944 at Doncaster as a modification centre in No 44 Group, operated by Scottish Aviation Ltd.  It moved to Kemble in October, joining No 46 Group and was retitled the Transport Command Modification Section at the same time.  Control was transferred to No 47 Group in January 1945 and it was redesignated No 2 TAMU on 1 August 1945.

No 1 Transport Aircraft Modification Unit

This was formed on 14 June 1945 at Tempsford in No 47 Group, being transferred to No 48 Group on 1 November.  It moved to Honington and joined No 46 Group on 1 April 1946, where it was redesignated Transport Command Major Servicing Unit on 5 October 1946.

No 2 Transport Aircraft Modification Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1945 at Kemble from the Transport Aircraft Modification Section and disbanded on 28 March 1946.

Transport Command Modification Centre

This was formed on 1 September 1954 at Dishforth and it disbanded on 1 April 1957.

Transport Command Parachute Servicing Unit

This was formed at Bicester on 3 June 1950, moving to Upper Heyford on 1 September where it remained until at least November  but after that its fate is unknown.

No 1 Tyre Reclamation Repair Unit

This was formed from part of RAF Reclamation and Retreading Unit between June and December 1944 under the control of No 206 Group at Heliopolis and disbanded post January 1945.

No 2 Tyre Reclamation Repair Unit

This was formed from part of RAF Reclamation and Retreading Unit between June and December 1944 under the control of No 218 Group at Algiers and disbanded post January 1945.

Royal Yugoslav Air Force Technical Unit

This was formed in Middle East Command on 1 September 1943 as part of No 107 MU at Kasfareet but its fate is unknown.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]