Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Flying training units - Operational


[Pilots | Observers | Armament | Others]

This section will give brief histories of those flying training units providing aircrew training of an operational nature prior to being assigned to an operational unit: -

Pilot training units

No 203 Advanced Flying School

This formed at Keevil on 1 July 1947 by redesignating No 61 OTU within No 12 Group to train fighter and reconnaissance pilots, equipped with 46 Spitfire XVIs, 3 Spitfire XIXs, 9 Harvards and 5 Martinets.  On 15 October 1947 it moved to Chivenor before moving to Stradishall on 19 July 1949, where it received some Meteors, but was disbanded by being redesignated No 226 OCU on 1 September 1949.

It reformed the same day at Driffield by redesignating No 226 OCU as part of No 23 Group, equipped with Meteors and Vampires.  It operated a RLG at Carnaby from 1 September 1949 to where it moved temporarily between July and September 1950.   The school was transferred to No 21 Group on 1 May 1950 and was redesignated No 8 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 205 Advanced Flying School

This was formed on 7 September 1950 at Middleton-St-George.  Controlled by No 23 Group it was tasked with training day fighter pilots on jets, using Meteors.  It was transferred to No 25 Group on 1 May 1951 and from 12 December 1952 to 1 January 1954 relocated to Croft during runway resurfacing at Middle St George and was redesignated No 4 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 206 Advanced Flying School

This was formed under the control of No 25 Group on 1 November 1951 at Oakington.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors, which were replaced by Vampires in January 1954 and was redesignated No 5 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 207 Advanced Flying School

This was formed under the control of No 25 Group on 20 November 1951 at Full Sutton.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors and was redesignated No 207 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 208 Advanced Flying School

This was formed under the control of No 25 Group on 19 November 1951 at Merryfield.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors and Vampires until it was redesignated No 10 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 209 Advanced Flying School

This was formed on 23 June 1952 at Weston Zoyland.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors and was redesignated No 12 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 210 Advanced Flying School

This was formed from  on 5 August 1952 at Tarrant Rushton under the control of No 25 Group.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors and Vampires until it disbanded on 29 April 1954.

No 211 Advanced Flying School

This was formed from  on 11 August 1952 at Gamston under the control of No 25 Group.  It was tasked with training day fighter pilots on jets, using Meteors.  On 7 January 1953 it replaced No 205 AFS in the All-Weather role and was redesignated No 211 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 215 Advanced Flying School

This was formed from No 101 FRS on 11 February 1952 at Finningley under the control of No 25 Group.  It was tasked with training pilots on jets, using Meteors and disbanded on 31 May 1954.

Air Command Far East Instrument Flying Training Flight

This was formed on 1 June 1948 at Changi and was redesignated All-Weather Flight on 8 June 1948.

Air Observer Post Training Flight

This was formed on 30 September 1943 at Setif , with the RAF Element moving to Eboli by October 1944 and then to San Severo on 9 September 1945, after which its fate is unknown.

Army Co-operation Pool

This was formed from the SFTS course at the School of Army Co-operation on 25 September 1939 at Old Sarum and was probably disbanded when the SAC was reorganised on 22 October 1940.

Army Co-operation Reservoir

This was formed on 22 December 1939 under the control of No 22 Group at Andover but its fate is unknown.

Artillery Co-operation Squadron

This was formed from the Artillery Co-operation Flights at CFS and Lydd on 13 January 1917 under the control of  at 61 New Street, Salisbury, with 'A' Flight at Netheravon and 'B' Flight at Lydd.  On 21 April 1917 it lost its independent status, coming under HQ Training Brigade, moving to Netheravon on 10 May, Tilshead in June 1918 then to Old Sarum on 1 September.  It was transferred to the control of No 11 TDS on 12 February 1919, moving to Stonehenge in July, where it and was redesignated the School of Army Co-operation on 8 March 1920.

Czechoslovak Flight

This was formed from No 1429 (Czech Operational Training) Flight on 27 February 1943 as part of No 6 (C) OTU at Thornaby, to convert Czech crew onto the Wellington and disbanded on 31 August 1943, when No 311 Squadron re-equipped with Liberators.

Harrier Conversion Team/Unit

This was formed as the Harrier Conversion Team at Wittering on 1 January 1969 to train pilots on the Harrier.  It was redesignated Harrier Conversion Unit on 1 April 1970 and the No 233 OCU on 1 October 1970.

It reformed on 1 March 1987 as the Harrier Conversion Team as part of No 233 OCU, still at Wittering, disbanding ain early 1990.

Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

This was formed from personnel drawn from Nos 2,3 and 6 (P) AFUs on 1 July 1942 at Shrewton in No 70 Group, moving to Brize Norton in No 23 Group on 15 July.  It moved to North Luffenham on 2 March 1944 but then moved back to Brize Norton on 16 October and disbanded on 20 October 1944.

No 21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

This was formed from the HGCU on 20 October 1944 at Brize Norton in No 23 Group.  From 1 November 1945 No 1 GTS operated as a detachment of this unit and on 29 December No 22 HGCU moved to Elsham Wolds, then to North Luffenham on 5 December 1946 in No 91 Group.  It was transferred to No 21 Group on 1 May 1947 and disbanded on 3 December 1947.

No 22 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

This was formed as No 22 HGCU/ORTU from No 86 OTU on 15 October 1944 at Keevil in No 23 Group.  It was transferred to No 38 Group on 7 March 1945, moving to Blakehill Farm on 21 June and ceased operations on 21 October, being officially and disbanded on 15 November 1945.

No 23 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit

This was formed as No 23 HGCU/ORTU from No 83 OTU on 28 October 1944 at Peplow in No 23 Group.  It ceased operations on 13 December 1944, being officially and disbanded on 17 January 1945.

Jaguar Conversion Team

This was formed on 1 July 1973 at Lossiemouth and was redesignated the Jaguar OCU in June 1974.

Jaguar Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed on in June 1974 at Lossiemouth and was redesignated No 226 OCU on 30 September 1974.

Jaguar Training Flight

This was formed on in 2005 at Coltishall and disbanded on in about 2006 in preparation of the withdrawal of the type from service in 2007.

Javelin Mobile Conversion Unit

This was formed in February 1957 at Leeming, as part of No 228 OCU and disbanded in 1959.

Javelin Operational Conversion Squadron

This was formed from the All-Weather Fighter Combat School on 1 July 1962 at West Raynham, as part of the CFE, with the shadow designation of No 219 Squadron and disbanded on 12 October 1962.

Lightning Conversion Squadron

This was formed on 4 January 1960 at Coltishall in the CFE, moving to Middleton-St-George in August 1961, where it became an independent unit on 29 June 1962 and was redesignated No 226 OCU on 1 June 1963.

Lightning Training Flight

This was formed from 'C' Flight of No 11 Squadron on 1 October 1975 at Binbrook in No 11 Group and disbanded on 30 April 1987.

Lincoln Conversion Squadron

This was formed from 'the Station Flight, Waddington by January 1953 at Waddington and was redesignated No 230 OCU on 1 August 1953.

Lincoln Conversion Squadron

This was formed from No 230 OCU on 1 February 1955 at Upwood in No 3 Group, moving to Hemswell on 9 January 1956 and disbanded on 18 February 1957.

Maintenance Command Jet Training Flight

This was formed by 1960 at Wroughton, attached to No 15 MU.  It moved to Lyneham in March 1960, attached to No 33 MU, becoming a flight of the RAF Handling Squadron at Boscombe Down on 1 May 1963.

School for Marine Operational Pilots

This was formed from personnel of No 53 TDS on 15 October 1918 at St Margaret's, Dover in , coming under HQ South Eastern Area on 2 November 1918 disbanded on 1 February 1919.

No 1 (Middle East) Check and Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Bilbeis in No 216 Group,  and was redesignated No 1330 Conversion Unit on 29 June 1944.

Naval Co-operation Flight

This was formed on an unknown date as part of the School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation at Calshot and disbanded on 7 May 1922.

Night Fighter Training Squadron

This was formed in 1945 at Ford within the CFE and was redesignated the Night Fighter Leaders School on 1 October 1945.

Pilots Replacement Pool

This was formed on 1 June 1944 at Cranfield and disbanded after August 1944.

Pilots Reinforcement and Reserve Pool

This was formed from the navigation course at Abu Sueir on 24 June 1940 at Ismailia in No 250 Wing and was redesignated the Training Unit and Reserve Pool on 21 September 1940.

Pilot Training Unit and Reinforcement Pool

This was formed on 6 September 1939 at Abu Sueir and disbanded on 24 June 1940.

Polish Combat Team

This was formed within No 145 Squadron at Bu Garda on 1 March 1943 to provide Polish pilots with experience of operating in Western Desert conditions.  It moved to La Fauconnerie on 11 April, Goubrine on 15 April, Hergla on 6 May, Ben Gardane North on 20 May before arriving at Luqa on 14 June, where it disbanded on 24 June.

2nd TAF Sabre Conversion Flight

This was formed 10 March 1953 at Wildenrath in No 83 Group and disbanded on 30 June 1954.

Synthetic Night Flying Flight

This was formed in 1942 as part of No 16 OTU at Upper Heyford, moving to ECFS at Hullavington on 29 December, after which its fate is unknown.

Observer training units

No 1 School of (Aerial) Navigation and Bomb Dropping

This was formed from

No 2 TDS on 5 January 1918 at Stonehenge and disbanded on 23 September 1919 into the School of Air Pilotage.

No 2 School of (Aerial) Navigation and Bomb Dropping

This was formed on 23 June 1918 at Andover and disbanded on 23 September 1919 into the School of Air Pilotage.

No 3 School of (Aerial) Navigation and Bomb Dropping

This was formed on 17 May 1918 at Almaza, moving to Helwan on 19 August and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

No 4 School of (Aerial) Navigation and Bomb Dropping

This was formed on 19 September 1919 at Thetford under the control of Midland Area and disbanded on 26 April 1919.

Air Bomber Training Flight (No 1 Group)

This was formed about 17 June 1942 at Binbrook, affiliated to No 1481 Flight.  It moved to Blyton on 26 September and then to Lindholme on 1 November, where it disbanded on 15 March 1943.

Air Bomber Training Flight (No 3 Group)

This was formed from  on 15 June 1942 at Newmarket, affiliated to No 1483 Flight.  It moved to Marham on 13 July and disbanded on 15 March 1943.

Air Bomber Training Flight (No 4 Group)

This was formed on 17 June 1942 at Driffield, affiliated to No 1484 Flight and disbanded on 15 March 1943.

Air Bomber Training Flight (No 5 Group)

This was formed from  on 15 June 1942 at Scampton, affiliated to No 1485 Flight.  It moved to Dunholme Lodge on 27 August and then to Fulbeck on 27 October, where it disbanded on 15 March 1943.

Armament training units

No 2 (Auxiliary) School of Aerial Gunnery

This was formed on in January 1918 at Turnberry and disbanded on 10 May 1918 into No 1 (O) SoAF&G.

No 4 (Auxiliary) School of Aerial Gunnery

This was formed on 1 November 1917 at Marske and disbanded on 6 May 1918 into No 2 SoAF&G.

No 1 Fighting School

This was formed from No 1 SoAF&G on 29 May 1918 at Turnberry and Ayr in No 25 Group and disbanded on 1 April 1919.

No 2 Fighting School

This was formed from No 2 SoAF&G on 29 May 1918 at Marske in NE Area, being transferred to North-Western Area around December 1918 and disbanded in December 1919.

No 3 Fighting School

This was formed from No 3 SoAF&G on 29 May 1918 at Bircham Newton in Midland Area, moving toSedgeford, where it was redesignated No 7 Training Squadron on 14 March 1919.

No 4 Fighting School

This was formed from No 4 SoAF&G on 29 May 1918 at Freiston and disbanded on in March 1920.

No 5 Fighting School

This was formed from the SoAF on 5 September 1918 at Heliopolis in No 38 Wing and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

Fleet Aerial Gunnery School

This was formed from No 208 TDS on 19 July 1918 at East Fortune and disbanded on 10 November 1918 into the Grand Fleet SoAF&G.

Fleet School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

This was formed on 19 July 1918 at East Fortune in No 22 Group, moving to Leuchars and No 29 Group on 10 November, where it was immediately redesignated the  Grand Fleet SoAF&G.

Fleet School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

Grand Fleet School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

Other flying training units

No 201 Advanced Flying School

Originally to be called No 201 Crew Training Unit, it was formed out of No 17 OTU, being equipped with Wellingtons, on 15 March 1947 at Swinderby under the control of .  On 1 May 1947 it was transferred to No 21 Group and on 1 December it absorbed No 202 AFS.  In 1951 it re-equipped with Varsities and was redesignated No 11 FTS on 1 June 1954.

No 202 Advanced Flying School

Originally to be called No 202 Crew Training Unit, it was formed out of No 21 OTU, being equipped with Wellingtons, on 15 March 1947 at Finningley under the control of  but absorbed into No 201 AFS on 1 December 1947.

No 204 Advanced Flying School

This was to have formed as No 204 Crew Training Unit, but instead the title was changed to No 204 Advanced Flying School when it formed on 15 March 1947 at Cottesmore as part of No 91 Group to train Mosquito crews from a nucleus provided by Nos 13 and 16 OTUs.  On 1 May 1947 it was transferred to No 21 Group and absorbed parts of the disbanding Nos 13 and 54 OTUs.  It moved to Driffield on 1 March 1948, Brize Norton on 15 August 1949 (RLG at Fairford from 22 August 1949 to 1 June 1950), Swinderby on 1 Jun 1950 (satellite at Wigsley) and finally to Bassingbourn on 13 February 1952, now in No 1 Group, but a week later was absorbed into No 231 OCU as 'D' Sqn on 20 February 1952.

School of Aerial Co-operation with Coastal Defence Batteries

This was formed from 'E' Flt, No 39 Squadron on 31 January 1918 at Gosport under the control of No 39 Wing.  It had been transferred to No 49 Wing by August and moved to Cowes/Somerton in September.  On 23 October it came under the control of RAF Gosport but was transferred to HQ south Eastern Area on 7 December and then to South Western Area on 19 March 1919, finally being disbanded on 15 September 1919 into the Coastal Battery Co-operation School.

School of Aerial Fighting

This was formed under the control of No 20 Wing on 13 November 1917 at Heliopolis but was transferred to No 38 Wing in November and disbanded on 5 September 1918 into No 5 Fighting School.

School of Aerial Fighting (Canada)

This was formed in July 1918 at Beamsville, being composed of four Aerial Fighting Squadrons with their HQ at Toronto and disbanded on in March 1919.

No 1 School of Aerial Fighting

This was formed from ' on 17 September 1917 at Ayr under the control of Training Division.  It was transferred to No 20 Group on 1 April 1918 disbanded on 10 May 1918 into No 1 SoAF&G.

No 2 School of Aerial Fighting

This was formed on 11 October 1917 at Eastburn (Driffield).  It was transferred to No 16 Group on 1 May 1918 disbanded on 6 May 1918 into No 2 SoAF&G.

School of Aerial Fighting and Bomb Dropping

This was formed from RNAS Gunnery School on 1 April 1918 at Freiston and was redesignated No 4 SoAF&G on 6 May 1918.

No 1 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

This was formed from Nos 1 SoAF and 2 /9Aux) SoAG on 10 May 1918 at Ayr and Turnberry and was redesignated No 1 Fighting School on 29 May 1918.

No 2 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

This was formed from No 2 SoAF (Driffield) and No 4 (Aux) SoAG (Marske)  on 6 May 1918 at Marske and was redesignated No 2 Fighting School on 29 May 1918.

No 3 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

This was formed from No 2 SoAF on 6 May 1918 at Driffield but later moving to Bircham Newton, where it was redesignated No 3 Fighting School on 29 May 1918.

No 4 School of Aerial Fighting and Gunnery

This was formed from SoAF&BD on 6 May 1918 at Freiston and was redesignated No 4 Fighting School on 29 May 1918.

School of Aerial Gunnery

This was formed on 5 May 1917 at Aboukir but was transferred to the 38th Wing in September and disbanded on 5 September 1918.

School of Aerial Gunnery

This was formed in in November 1917 at Heliopolis and disbanded on in March 1919 into No 5 Fighting School.

School of Aerial Gunnery (Canada)

This was formed from No 80 Reserve School on 1 May 1917 at Borden Camp.  It moved to Hicks on 5 November 1917 and then to Beamsville on 30 March 1918, where it was redesignated the School of Aerial Fighting (Canada) in July 1918.

School of Aerial Gunnery and Bombing

This was formed under the control of No 1 Group in April 1920 at Eastleigh and was redesignated the Armament & Gunnery School on 1 April 1922.

Air Fighting School (Middle East)

This was formed on 25 December 1941 at Edku.  It was tasked with training fighter pilots in Middle Eastern conditions, moving to Bilbeis in January 1942, where it was absorbed by No 1 METS at El Ballah on 5 April 1942.

Air Fighting Training Unit

This was formed on 23 February 1943 at Amarda Road, under the control of AHQ Bengal.  Its task was to train RAF, USAAF and IAF pilots in the tactics employed by the Japanese air forces and disbanded on 25 May 1945.

Air Observer Post School

This was formed from No 227 OCU and No 21 EFTS on 1 May 1950 at Middle Wallop.  Originally under the control of No 11 Group, it was transferred to No 81 Group on 27 February 1952 and was redesignated the Light Aircraft School on 3 April 1953.

No s Air School

This was formed from No 1 SGR, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at George and disbanded on 14 June 1945.

School of Air Support

This was formed on 5 November 1944 at Old Sarum under the control of No 70 Group and was redesignated the School of Land/Air Warfare on 1 May 1947.

Air-to-Air Refuelling School

This was formed before 1969, becoming part of the Victor OCU on 13 October 1969, probably at Marham and is probably still in existence in some form at Brize Norton.

Air Training Squadron

This was formed on 1 November 1967 at Abingdon and amalgamated with No 242 OCU between 1 August and 15 September 1970.

It reformed on 1 May 1971 at Odiham, to convert crews to Wessex helicopters and was redesignated No 240 OCU on 1 January 1972.

School of Air Transport

This was formed on 1 November 1944 at Netheravon under the control of No 38 Group and disbanded on 5 March 1946.

All Weather and Night Fighter Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed at North Luffenham under the control of No 81 Group on 1 Apr 1955 equipped with Meteor F Mk 8, NF Mk 12s and 14s and Vampire T Mk 11s.  It disbanded into No 228 OCU on 1 January 1957.

America School

 This had been formed at Felixstowe by 1918 to train personnel on the Curtiss Small and Large America flying boats.  The Small America flight was disbanded on 15 Jun 1918 after which its fate is unknown.

Andover Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1966 at Abingdon, becoming part of the Air Training Squadron on 1 November 1967 and moving to Thorney Island on 9 September 1970, where it was absorbed into No 242 OCU on 1 November 1970.

Andover Training Flight

This was formed on 4 January 1983 at Benson and disbanded on 1 September 1988.

Andover Training Squadron

This was formed from part of No 241 OCU on 4 January 1983 at Brize Norton, later being absorbed into No 32 Squadron at Northolt disbanded in 1993.

Argosy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1961 at Benson and disbanded on 30 April 1963 into No 242 OCU.

School of Army Co-operation

This was formed on 23 December 1919 at Worthy Down under the control of No 7 Group and disbanded on 8 March 1920.

School of Army Co-operation

It reformed on 8 March 1920 at Stonehenge under the control of No 7 Group.  On 9 February 1921 it movedto Old Sarum, where the Co-operation Squadron was redesignated No 16 on 1 April 1924.  It was transferred to No 22 Group on 12 April 1926 and was redesignated No 1 SAC on 20 October 1939.

No 1 School of Army Co-operation

This was formed by redesignating the School of Army Co-operation on 20 October 1939 at Old Sarum under the control of No 22 Group.  It was transferred to No 70 Group on 1 December 1940 and probably and disbanded on 20 September 1941 when the Training Squadron was redesignated No 41 OTU.

No 2 School of Army Co-operation

This was formed on 20 October 1939 at Andover.  It was transferred to No 70 Group on 1 December 1940 and disbanded on 31 May 1941 with its personnel being used to form Nos 6 and 42 OTUs.

No 3 School of Army Co-operation

Authority for its formation was given on 20 April 1940 at Shrewton but formation never took place.

School of Artillery Co-operation

This was formed on 1 April 1918 in Canada and disbanded in March 1919.

Artillery and Infantry Co-operation School

This was formed from the Wireless and Observers School on 12 October 1917 at Hursley Park, Winchester.  On 31 May 1918, the HQ and ground training element moved to join the flying element at Worthy Down and was redesignated the RAF and Army Co-operation School on 19 September 1918.

Artillery Observation School

This was formed from No 197 Training Squadron on 20 November 1917 at Almaza.  In December 1917 it moved to Heliopolis, where it was redesignated the Artillery Observation School, Egypt, before returning to Almaza in March 1919 and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

Belgian Air Force Transport Pool

This was formed on 7 November 1944 at an, as yet, unknown location and disbanded on 1 September 1946.

Bomber Command B-29 Training Squadron

This was formed from No 55 Squadron on 23 February 1950 at Marham under the control of  and was redesignated the Washington Conversion Unit on 1 July 1950.

Buccaneer Training Flight

This was formed from No 237 OCU on 1 October 1991 at Lossiemouth within No 208 Squadron and disbanded in late 1992.

Canberra Standardisation and Training Flight

This was formed from No 231 OCU on 15 December 1990 at Wyton and reverted to No 231 OCU on 13 May 1991.

Catapult Development and Training Establishment

This was formed in 1941 at Speke, possibly alongside the MSFU but no other details have been found

Check and Conversion Flight

This was formed in October 1943 at Mauripur, moving to Risalpur on 30 July 1944 and absorbed into No 1331 CU on 1 September 1944.

Coastal Battery Co-operation School

This was formed from the School of Aerial Co-operation with Coastal Defence Batteries on 15 September 1919 at Gosport under the control of No 10 Group and was redesignated the Coastal Battery Co-operation Flight on 23 December 1919.

Coastal Command Landplane Pilots' Pool

This was formed on 1 November 1939 under the control of No 17 Group at Silloth, to train crews for Coastal Command with the first Hudson course beginning on 7 December.  It was redesignated No 1 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit on 1 April 1940.

No 1 Combat Training Wing

This was formed from No 56 OTU on 5 October 1943 at Tealing under the control of No 9 Group and was redesignated No 1 Tactical Exercise Unit on 1 January 1944.

No 2 Combat Training Wing

This was formed from No 58 OTU on 5 October 1943 at Grangemouth under the control of No 9 Group and was redesignated No 2 Tactical Exercise Unit on 15 October 1943.

No 7 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 January 1942 at Oakington under the control of No 3 Group.  Affiliated to No 7 Squadron, it moved to Stradishall on 4 October and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1657 HCU.

No 9 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 8 August 1942 at Waddington under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 9 Squadron and disbanded on 9 November 1942 into No 1661 HCU.

No 10 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 17 February 1942 at Leeming under the control of No 4 Group.  Affiliated to No 10 Squadron, it moved to Melbourne on 26 August and then to Riccall on 7 October, where it and disbanded the same day into No 1658 HCU.

No 15 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 26 January 1942 at Alconbury under the control of No 3 Group.  Affiliated to No 15 Squadron, it had moved to Wyton by 23 April and then to Waterbeach on 5 May, where it disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1651 HCU.

No 26 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 5 October 1941 at Waterbeach under the control of No 3 Group from No 7 Squadron personnel and disbanded on 2 January 1942 into No 1651 HCU.

No 28 Conversion Flight

This was formed as an experimental heavy conversion flight on 29 August 1941 at Linton-on-Ouse under the control of No 4 Group being retitled No 28 Conversion Flight on 4 November.  It moved to Marston Moor on 30 December and disbanded on 2 January 1942 into No 1652 HCU.

No 35 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Linton-on-Ouse under the control of No 4 Group.  It moved to Dalton on 12 June, Marston Moor on 5 September and finally to Rufforth on 21 September, where it disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1652 HCU.

No 44 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 January 1942 at Waddington under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 44 Squadron and disbanded on 9 November 1942 into No 1661 HCU.

No 49 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 May 1942 at Scampton under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 49 Squadron and disbanded on 9 November 1942 into No 1661 HCU.

No 50 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 May 1942 at Skellingthorpe under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 50 Squadron.  It moved to Swinderby on 16 June and then to Wigsley on 21 August, where it disbanded on 2 August 1942 into No 1654 HCU.

No 61 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 27 March 1942 at Woolfox Lodge under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 61 Squadron.  It moved to Syerston on 5 May and the Swinderby on 22 August, where it disbanded on 16 October 1942 into No 1660 HCU.

No 76 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Middleton-St-George under the control of No 4 Group, affiliated to No 76 Squadron, It moved to Riccall on 16 September and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1658 HCU.

No 78 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Croft under the control of No 4 Group, affiliated to No 78 Squadron.  It moved to Dalton on 12 June, Middleton-St-George at the end of June and finally to Riccall on 15 September, where it disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1658 HCU.

No 83 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 11 April 1942 at Scampton under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 83 Squadron.  It moved to Wigsley on 21 August and disbanded on 22 August 1942 into No 1654 HCU.

No 97 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Coningsby under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 97 Squadron.  It moved to Skellingthorpe on 23 September and then to Swinderby on 16 October, where it disbanded on 16 October 1942 into No 1660 HCU.

No 101 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 6 May 1942 at Oakington under the control of No 3 Group, affiliated to No 101 Squadron and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1657 HCU.

No 102 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 6 January 1942 at Dalton under the control of No 4 Group, affiliated to No 102 Squadron.  It moved to Topcliffe on 10 June and the to Pocklington on 7 August, where it disbanded on 23 November 1942 into No 1652 HCU.

No 103 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 2 May 1942 at Elsham Wolds under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 103 Squadron and disbanded on 31 October 1942 into No 1656 HCU.

No 106 Conversion Flight

This was formed in December 1941 at Waterbeach under the control of No 3 Group and disbanded on 2 January 1942 into No 1651 HCU.

This was formed on 6 May 1942 at Coningsby under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 106 Squadron.  It moved to Swinderby on 16 October and disbanded on 22 October 1942 into No 1660 HCU.

No 107 Conversion Flight

It reformed on in December 1942 at Leconfield under the control of No 4 Group and disbanded on 2 January 1942 into No 1652 HCU.

No 108 Conversion Flight

This was formed on in December 1943 at Polebrook under the control of No 8 Group, to train crews on Liberators but before any aircraft were received it disbanded into No 1653 HCU.

No 149 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Mildenhall under the control of No 3 Group, affiliated to No 149 Squadron.  It moved to Lakenheath in mid February and then to Stradishall on 2 October, where it disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1657 HCU.

No 158 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 6 May 1942 at Linton-on-Ouse under the control of No 4 Group, affiliated to No 158 Squadron.  It moved East Moor on 7 June and then to Rufforth on 25 September, where it disbanded on 1 November 1942 into No 1658 HCU.

No 207 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 January 1942 at Bottesford under the control of No 5 Group, affiliated to No 207 Squadron.  It moved to Swinderby on 22 August and disbanded on 20 October 1942 into No 1660 HCU.

No 214 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 10 April 1942 at Waterbeach under the control of No 3 Group, affiliated to No 214 Squadron.  It moved to Stradishall on 1 May and then back to Waterbeach on 9 August, where it disbanded on 1 October 1942 into No 1651 HCU.

No 218 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 20 January 1942 at Marham under the control of No 3 Group, affiliated to No 218 Squadron.  It moved to Stradishall on 2 October and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1657 HCU.

No 405 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 2 May 1942 at Pocklington under the control of No 4 Group, affiliated to No 405 Squadron.  It moved to Topcliffe on 7 August and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1659 HCU.

No 408 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 May 1942 at Syerston but disbanded on 19 June 1942.

It reformed on 20 September 1942 at Syerston under the control of No 4 Group and disbanded on 7 October 1942 into No 1659 HCU.

No 420 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 16 May 1942 at Waddington under the control of No 5 Group but disbanded on 19 June 1942.

No 460 Conversion Flight

This was formed on 22 May 1942 at Breighton under the control of No 1 Group, affiliated to No 460 Squadron.  It moved to Holme-on-Spalding Moor on 15 August and then back to Breighton on 26 September, where it and disbanded on 10 November 1942 into No 1656 HCU.

Conversion and Refresher School

This was formed on 24 February 1942 at El Ballah and absorbed into No 1 METS as Conversion and Refresher Section on 5 April 1942.

No 1330 Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 1 (ME) Check and Conversion Unit on 29 June 1944 at Bilbeis and disbanded on 1 March 1946.

No 1331 Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1944 at Mauripur under the control of No 223 Group.  It moved Risalpur three days later being transferred to No 229 Group at some point and disbanded on 15 January 1946.

No 1331 Conversion Unit

It reformed from the Halifax Training Flight of No 1331 CU at Dishforth on 1 September 1944 at Syerston and disbanded on 15 January 1946.

No 1332 Conversion Unit

This was formed on 5 September 1944 at Longtown under the control of No 44 Group.  It moved to Nutts Corner on 7 October, Riccall on 27 April 1945 and finally to Dishforth on 7 November.  On 13 July 1946 it absorbed No 1665 HCU and on 15 December the Halifax Training Flight moved to Syerston to become No 1331 HTCU.  By July it had been retitled No 1332 Heavy Transport Conversion Unit and it disbanded on 5 January 1948 into No 241 OCU.

No 1333 Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 107 OTU  on 12 March 1945 at Leicester East under the control of No 46 Group.  Originally styled No 1333 (Transport Support) Conversion Unit, it was transferred to No 4 Group 4 August, moving to Syerston on 25 October.  On 3 July 1946 it absorbed No 1385 HTCU and seven days later was retitled No 1333 Training Support Training Unit, absorbing the Halifax element of No 1332 HTCU on 15 December.  It moved to North Luffenham on 5 January 1948, where it disbanded the same day into No 240 OCU.

No 1334 (Transport Support ) Conversion Unit

This was formed from Transport Support Training Unit on 11 April 1945 at Gujrat under the control of No 223 Group.  It was tasked with training transport crews in tropical conditions, moving to Baroda between 8-12 August disbanded on 31 March 1946.

No 1335 Conversion Unit

This was formed on 8 March 1945 at Colerne under the control of No 10 Group.  Tasked with converting fighter pilots to fly jet fighter it was transferred to No 11 Group on 2 May, moving to Molesworth on 27 July, where it   was redesignated No 226 OCU on 15 August 1946.

No 1336 Conversion Unit

This was formed on 20 June 1945 at Welford under the control of No 4 Group.  It was redesignated No 1336 Transport Conversion Unit and disbanded on 1 March 1946.

No 1380 Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 81 OTU on 10 August 1945 at Tilstock under the control of No 4 Group.   and disbanded on 21 January 1946.

No 1381 (Transport) Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 105 OTU on 10 August 1945 at Bramcote under the control of No 4 Group.  It moved to Desborough on 19 November and then to Dishforth on 1 January 1947, where it disbanded on 18 February 1948.

No 1382 (Transport) Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 108 OTU on 10 August 1945 at Wymeswold under the control of No 4 Group.  It moved to North Luffenham on 10 December 1947, being transferred to No 38 Group on 2 February 1948 disbanded on 5 January 1948 into No 240 OCU.

No 1383 (Transport) Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 109 OTU on 1 August 1945 at Crosby-on-Eden under the control of No 4 Group and disbanded on 6 August 1946.

No 1384 (Heavy Transport) Conversion Unit

This was formed from personnel of No 6 LFS on 1 November 1945 at Ossington under the control of No 4 Group and disbanded on 30 June 1946.

No 1385 (Heavy Transport Support ) Conversion Unit

This was formed from personnel of the ORTU on 1 April 1946 at Wethersfield under the control of No 4 Group.  It moved to Syerston, where it was absorbed into No 1333 HTCU on 3 July 1946.

No 1584 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 1584 (Heavy Bomber) Conversion Flight on 9 November 1943 at Kolar and was redesignated No 1673 HCU on 1 February 1944.

No 1651 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 26 and 106 Conversion Flights on 2 January 1942 at Waterbeach under the control of No 3 Group as No 1651 Conversion Unit equipped with Stirlings, it absorbed No 214 CF on 1 October, No 15 CF on 7 October and was redesignated No 1651 HCU at the same time.  It became part of No 31 Base on 16 September 1943, moving to Wratting Common on 20 November.  The HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 and on 9 November it moved to Woolfox Lodge, where it disbanded on 13 July 1945.

No 1652 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 28 and 107 Conversion Flights on 2 January 1942 at Marston Moor under the control of No 4 Group.  as No 1652 Conversion Unit equipped with Halifaxes, although these remained at Leconfield with a detachment at Dalton.  It absorbed No 35 CF on 7 October and was redesignated No 1652 HCU at the same time and the aircraft eventually moved to Marston Moor on 28 August.  On 31 October it absorbed No 102 CF, but this remained at Pocklington and on 15 May 1943 it absorbed No 1478 Flight.  It became part of No 41 Base on 16 September 1943, and when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 74 Base and disbanded on 25 June 1945.

No 1653 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1942 at Polebrook under the control of No 8 Group.  Its task was to train crews for service in the Middle East on Liberators and moved to Burn on 2 June, where it disbanded on 31 October 1942.

No 1653 Heavy Conversion Unit

It reformed on 21 November 1943 at Chedburgh under the control of No 3 Group.  It was now part of No 31 Base, training Stirling crews but the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 73 Base.  On 27 November it moved to North Luffenham, now equipped with Lancasters and was transferred to No 91 Group on 21 December 1945.  It moved to Lindholme on 28 October 1946, where it absorbed No 1660 HCU and was redesignated No 230 OCU on 15 March 1947.

No 1654 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed as No 1654 CU on 19 May 1942 at Swinderby under the control of No 5 Group.  Initially equipped with Manchesters it moved to Wigsley on 15 June, where it began to receive Lancasters, absorbing Nos 50 and 83 CFs on 22 August, being redesignated No 1654 HCU on 7 October.  The last Manchester left the unit in July 1943 and on 16 September it became part of No 51 Base but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 75 Base and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 1655 Mosquito Conversion Unit

This was formed from the Mosquito Conversion Unit on 10 October 1942 at Marham under the control of No 2 Group and was absorbed into No 13 OTU on 1 May 1943.

No 1655 Mosquito Training Unit                                          

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Finmere under the control of No 2 Group.  It moved to Marham on 1 July 1943, where it joined No 8 Group.  On 30 December 1944 it moved to Upper Heyford, where it was absorbed into No 16 OTU on the following day.

No 1656 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 460 and 103 Conversion Flights on 10 October 1942 at Lindholme under the control of No 1 Group.  Equipped with Lancasters and Halifaxes, it became part of No 11 Base on 16 September 1943 but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 71 Base and disbanded on 10 November 1945.

No 1657 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 7, 101, 149 and 218 Conversion Flights and No 1427 Flight on 2 October 1942 at Stradishall under the control of No 3 Group.  Equipped with Stirlings, it also operated a flight at East Wretham, with Lancaster IIs, which was redesignated No 1678 Conversion Flight on 18 May 1943.  It became part of No 31 Base on 16 September 1943 but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 73 Base and disbanded on 15 December 1944

No 1658 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 76 and 78 Conversion Flights on 7 October 1942 at Riccall under the control of No 4 Group.  Equipped with Halifaxes, it absorbed No 158 CF on 1 November and then No 10 CF on 23 November.  It became part of No 41 Base on 16 September 1943 but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 74 Base and disbanded on 13 April 1945.

No 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 405 and 408 Conversion Flights on 7 October 1942 at Leeming under the control of No 4 Group.  It was tasked with training crews for the Halifax equipped units of No 6 (RCAF) Group and was transferred to that group on 1 January 1943.  It moved to Topcliffe on 14 March, where it became part of No 61 Base on 16 September 1943 but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 76 Base.  On 20 November 1944 it began receiving Lancasters as some 6 Group units were beginning to convert to this type and disbanded on 10 September 1945.

No 1660 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from Nos 61, 97, 106 and 207 CFs on 22 October 1942 at Swinderby under the control of No 5 Group.  Equipped with Manchesters, Lancasters and a few Halifaxes, it became part of No 51 Base on 16 September 1943.  The Halifaxes were withdrawn in November and the following month it standardised on Stirlings.  When the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 75 Base, re-equipping with Lancasters in January 1945.  It was transferred to No 91 Group on 21 December 1945 and disbanded on 11 November 1946.

No 1661 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 9, 44 and 49 CFs on 9 November 1942 at Waddington under the control of No 5 Group.  Equipped with Manchesters and Lancasters, it moved to Winthorpe on 1 January 1943, where it became part of No 51 Base on 16 September 1943.  When the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 75 Base, standardising on the Stirling at around this time and disbanded on 24 August 1945.

No 1662 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 26 January 1943 at Blyton under the control of No 1 Group.  Equipped with Halifaxes and Lancasters, it became part of No 11 Base on 16 September 1943 but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 74 Base and disbanded on 6 April 1945.

No 1663 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 2 March 1943 at Rufforth under the control of No 4 Group.  Equipped with Halifaxes, it absorbed 'D' Flight of No 1652 HCU on 10 March.  On 16 September 1943 it became part of No 41 Base but when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 74 Base and disbanded on 29 May 1945.

No 1664 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from  on 10 May 1943 at Croft under the control of No 6 Group, equipped with Halifaxes.  It became part of No 61 Base on 16 September 1943, moving to Dishforth on 7 December.  When the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 76 Base, beginning to re-equip with Lancasters and disbanded on 6 April 1945.

No 1665 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 23 April 1943 at Mepal under the control of No 3 Group.  It moved to Waterbeach on 1 May but operated detached flights with other HCUs and then moved to Woolfox Lodge on 7 June.  On 1 December it was transferred to No 38 Group, moving to Tilstock on 23 January 1944 to train Stirling and Halifax crews for Airborne Forces units.  It moved to Saltby on 26 March 1945 and then to Marston Moor, in No 4 Group, on 1 August.  On 10 August it was redesignated No 1665 (Heavy Transport) Conversion Unit, moving to Linton-on-Ouse between 4-7 November, where it was merged with No 1332 HTCU on 13 July 1946.

No 1666 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed from No 6 (RCAF) Group Pool on 5 June 1943 at Dalton under the control of No 6 Group, equipped with Halifaxes.  It became part of No 11 Base on 16 September 1943, moving to Wombleton on 21 October 1943, with the first course beginning on 5 November.  On 27 January it took over some flights of No 1679 HCU and when the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 76 Base.  January 1945 saw re-equipment with Lancasters and it disbanded on 2 August 1945.

No 1667 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Lindholme under the control of No 1 Group, equipped with Halifaxes and Lancaster.  It became part of No 11 Base on 16 September 1943, moving to Faldingworth on 8 October 1943and then to Sandtoft between 17-19 February 1944.  When the HCUs were transferred to No 7 Group on 3 November 1944 it became part of No 71 Base and disbanded on 9 November 1945.

No 1668 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 15 August 1943 at Balderton under the control of No 5 Group and was redesignated No 5 Lancaster Finishing School on 21 November 1943.

It reformed on 28 July 1944 at Bottesford under the control of No 72 Base in No 7 Group.  It was transferred to No 91 Group on 21 December 1945 and disbanded on 7 March 1946.

No 1669 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 15 August 1944 at Langer under the control of No 73 Base in No 7 Group and disbanded on 16 March 1945.

No 1670 (Thunderbolt) Conversion Unit

This was formed on 20 June 1944 at Yelahanka, to convert Hurricane pilots to the Thunderbolt and was redesignated No 8 Refresher Flying Unit on 24 January 1945.

No 1671 (AI) Conversion Unit

This was formed from the AI Mk VIII Conversion Flight (ex MAAF) on 1 February 1944 at Baigachi under the control of No 293 Wing and disbanded on 5 June 1944.

No 1672 (Mosquito) Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at Yelahanka, to convert Vengeance crews to the Mosquitoes.  It moved to Kolar on 3 June, returning to Yelahanka on 29 October before moving to Ranchi on 10 August 1945, where it disbanded on 31 August 1945.

No 1673 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at Salbani, to convert crews Liberators, moving to Kolar in No 225 Group between 4-13 April and disbanded on 8 November 1944.

No 1674 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 10 October 1943 at Aldergrove, to train crews for Coastal Command's long-range patrol units using Fortresses, Halifaxes and Liberators.  It moved to Longtown (except the Liberator Flight) on 19 October.  On 1 February the Unit HQ and Fortress Flight moved back to Aldergrove.  It moved to Milltown on 10 August 1945 and then to Lossiemouth on 14 November, where it disbanded on 30 November 1945.

No 1675 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 15 October 1943 at Lydda, to convert medium bomber crews to Liberators.  It moved to Abu Sueir on 14 August 1944 and disbanded on 12 October 1945.

No 1678 Heavy Conversion Flight/Unit

This was formed from a detachment of No 1657 HCU on 18 May 1943 at East Wretham under the control of No 3 Group, as No 1678 Heavy Conversion Flight to convert Wellington crews to the Lancaster II.  It moved to Little Snoring on 6 August, Foulsham on 16 September, where it was redesignated No 1678 HCU.  On 23 November it made a final move to Waterbeach but as the Lancaster II was being phased out of service it disbanded on 12 June 1944.

No 1679 Heavy Conversion Unit

This was formed on 18 May 1943 at East Moor, to convert crews to the Lancaster II, moving to Wombleton on 31 December, where it was absorbed into No 1666 HCU on 27 January 1944.

No 1692 (Bomber Support) Conversion Unit

This was formed on 17 June 1944 at Great Massingham, to train Beaufighter and Mosquito crews in Bomber Support operations and disbanded on 16 June 1945.

No 1699 (Bomber Support) Conversion Unit

This was formed on 24 October 1944 at Oulton, to train crews for Nos 214 and 223 Squadrons in Radio Countermeasures operations and disbanded on 29 June 1945.

No 1699 Heavy Conversion Unit (Lancastrian Flight)

It reformed out of No 231 Squadron on 15 January 1946 at Full Sutton, to train crews to fly the Lancastrian, a transport version of the Lancaster and disbanded on 1 April 1946.

No 201 Crew Training Unit

This unit was intended to be a post-war development of the wartime Operational Training Unit but it was formed as No 201 Advanced Flying School.

No 202 Crew Training Unit

This unit was intended to be a post-war development of the wartime Operational Training Unit but it was formed as No 202 Advanced Flying School.

No 204 Crew Training Unit

This unit was intended to be a post-war development of the wartime Operational Training Unit but it was formed as No 203 Advanced Flying School.

Czechoslovak Air Force Transport Pool

This was formed at HQ Transport Command in Harrow on 15 July 1944 and disbanded on 15 June 1946.

Far East Air Force Training Squadron

This was formed on 1 June 1951 at Seletar, comprising an Examining Flight, Training Flight and Towed Target Flight, the latter was transferred to Seletar's Station Flight on 1 July 1951.  It moved to Butterworth on 20 August 1954, where a Gunnery Flight was formed on 4 November when No 27 APC was absorbed and disbanded on 31 March 1955 to form APC Butterworth.

Ferry Training and Despatch Flight

This was formed in November 1941 at Harwell, to train crews from No 15 OTU to ferry Wellingtons overseas and was redesignated No 1443 Flight on 21 January 1942.

Ferry Training Flight

This was formed on 5 November 1941 at Dorval and disbanded on 5 July 1944 into No 6 Ferry Unit.

Ferry Training Flight

This was formed on 27 October 1941 at Bicester in No 7 Group, to train crews to ferry Blenheims overseas and was redesignated No 1442 Flight on 21 January 1942.

Ferry Training Flight

This was formed in December 1941 at Horsham St Faith in No 44 Group, to train crews to ferry Hudsons overseas and was redesignated No 1444 Flight on 21 January 1942.

Ferry Training Unit

This was formed from HQ Service Ferry Squadron on 11 November 1941 at Honeybourne, to train crews to ferry aircraft overseas and was redesignated No 301 FTU on 1 November 1942.

Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 5 August 1952 at Abingdon, moving to Benson on 9 April 1953, where it absorbed No 1689 Flight and disbanded on in 1961?.

No 1 Flight, Ferry Training Unit

This was formed in March 1942 at Lyneham and was redesignated 'A' Flight, No 301 FTU on 3 November 1942.

No 2 Flight, Ferry Training Unit

This was formed in March 1942 at Lyneham, moving to Filton on 13 June and disbanded on 31 July 1942.

No 3 Flight, Ferry Training Unit

This was formed in March 1942 at Lyneham and disbanded on 20 May 1942.

No 301 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed from No 1 Flight, FTU and Nos 1444 and 1445 Flights on 1 November 1942 at Lyneham in No 44 Group, to train crews to ferry aircraft overseas.  Types used were Beauforts, Beaufighters, Blenheims, Wellingtons, Hudsons, Liberators and Halifaxes.  It  and disbanded on 13 March 1944 into No 1 FU at Pershore.

No 302 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 30 September 1942 at Lough Erne in No 15 Group, to train crews to ferry flying boats.  It moved to Oban I No 17 Group on 21/22 July 1943, where it absorbed No 308 FTU but returned to No 15 Group when it moved to Killadeas between 15-28 April 1945.  A further move, to Alness in No 17 Group took place on 1 July 1945, with operations ceasing and it finally and disbanded on 1 April 1946.

No 303 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 15 December 1942 at Stornoway in No 17 Group, moving to Talbenny in No 19 Group on 5 March 1943.  It was transferred to No 44 Group on 11 October 1944 and disbanded on 8 September 1944 into No 11 Ferry Unit.

No 304 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 31 December 1942 at Port Ellen in No 15 Group, to train crews to ferry Beaufighters, Bostons and later Mosquitoes overseas.  It moved to Melton Mowbrey in No 44 Group between 3-10 January 1944, absorbing Nos 306 and 307 FTUs on 14 January.  Here it also trained crews on Halifaxes, Stirlings, Dakotas and Wellingtons, finally being  on 9 October 1944 into No 12 Ferry Unit.

No 305 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 14 December 1942 at Errol in No 44 Group, to train Russian crews to ferry Albemarles back to Russia.  It later trained Mosquito crews but training ceased on 13 March 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1944.

No 306 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 31 December 1942 at Templeton in No 17 Group, to initially train Beaufort crews, later adding Beaufighters.  It moved to Maghaberry on 15 June 1943 and then to Melton Mowbrey in No 44 Group between 13-15 October 1943, where it and disbanded on 15 January 1944 into No 304 FTU.

No 307 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 24 December 1942 at Bicester in No 92 Group, to train ferry crews on Blenheims and later Bostons.  It moved to Finmere on 18 February 1943, to Turweston on 1 May and back to Finmere on 18 May.  On 1 June it was transferred to No 70 Group, moving to Melton Mowbrey and No 44 Group on 14 October and disbanded on 15 January 1944 into No 304 FTU.

No 308 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 22 March 1943 at Pembroke Dock in No 19 Group, as No 308 Ferry Training and Test Flying Unit, tasked with ferrying Sunderlands to overseas units.  It was redesignated No 308 FTU on 7 May 1943, being and absorbed into No 302 FTU on 12 January 1944.

No 309 Ferry Training and Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed on 21 April 1943 at Benson in No 16 Group, to train PR crews to ferry Spitfires and Mosquitoes overseas and disbanded on 17 September 1945.

No 310 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed from No 1443 (Ferry Training) Flight on 30 April 1943 at Harwell and disbanded on 17 December 1943.

No 311 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 1 May 1943 at Moreton-in-Marsh, to train crews to ferry Wellingtons overseas and disbanded on 1 May 1944.

No 312 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 24 April 1943 at Wellesbourne Mountford, being reduced to a 'Number-plate' basis on 26 July and disbanded on 17 December 1943.

No 313 Ferry Training Unit

This was formed on 1 March 1944 at North Bay, Ontario, as No 313 Ferry training and Conversion Unit.  It was tasked with training crews in ferrying American and Canadian built aircraft across the Atlantic, being redesignated No 313 FTU on 5 July 1944 and disbanded on 18 October 1945.

Fortress Conversion Unit

This was formed in mid 1941 at Polebrook and was probably absorbed into No 90 Squadron but when is unknown.

GEE-H Training Flight

This was formed on 29 December 1944 at Feltwell in No 100 Group and was redesignated Bomber Command Radar School on 5 June 1945.

General Reconnaissance School

This was formed on 27 July 1942 at Hansraj Mararju Collewge, Andheri, Bombay, to train GR crews in India using Bombay Airport for the flying elements of the course.  An Air Navigation School was formed 24 July 1942 under its control and the two were and amalgamated to form the GR and Air Navigation School on 24 October 1942.

General Reconnaissance and Air Navigation School

This was formed by redesignating the General Reconnaissance School and the Air Navigation School on 24 January 1942 at Bombay, It moved to Ratmalana in No 22 Group on 2/6/43 and then to Koggala on 25 March 1944, where it and disbanded on 5 August 1944.

School of General Reconnaissance

This was formed on 4 April 1938 at Thorney Island in No 17 Group, moving to Guernsey to 22 April 1940 but following threat of German invasion it was evacuated to Hooton Park between 16-19 June.   and was redesignated No 1 School of General Reconnaissance. on 19 June 1940.

No 1 School of General Reconnaissance

This was formed by redesignating the School of General Reconnaissance on 19 June 1940 at Hooton Park, moving to Squires Gate on 11 July but and disbanded on 30 September 1940, its personnel being posted to South Africa and Canada to form No 62 Air School and No 1 GRS respectively.

No 2 School of General Reconnaissance

This was formed from part of the School of General Reconnaissance on 28 May 1940 at Squires Gate in No 17 Group, intended for service in Canada.  It arrived on 6 February 1941, originally intended to operate from Debert but instead was absorbed into No 31 GRS at Charlotteville immediately.

No 3 School of General Reconnaissance

This was formed from part of No 2 School of General Reconnaissance about 16 December 1940 at Squires Gate in No 17 Group.  A PRU training flight was added  in February 1942, which eventually formed the basis for No 8 OTU.  It moved to Leuchars between 18-26 August 1945 and was redesignated the RAF School of General Reconnaissance on 1 March 1946.

No 31 School of General Reconnaissance

This was formed from elements of Nos 1 and 2 Schools of General Reconnaissance on 20 January 1941 at Charlotteville, Prince Edward Island and disbanded on 21 February 1944.

No 1 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 1 May 1939 at Aston Down but was not proceeded with.

This was formed from Nos 35 and 207 Squadrons on 14 September 1939 at Cranfield, together with Nos 52 and 63 Squadrons at Benson.  It moved to Abingdon on 18 September, where No 207 Squadron left on 9 December followed by No 35 on 1 February 1940 and was redesignated No 12 OTU on 8 April 1940.

No 2 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 1 May 1939 at St Athan but was not proceeded with.

This was formed from Nos 104 and 108 Squadrons on 14 September 1939 at Bicester, together with No 90 Squadron at West Raynham.  No 90 Squadron left on 19 September and it was redesignated No 13 OTU on 8 April 1940.

No 3 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at Cosford but was not proceeded with.

This was formed from Nos 75 and 148 Squadrons on 14 September 1939 at Harwell and was redesignated No 15 OTU on 8 April 1940.

No 4 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at Saughall Massie but was not proceeded with.

This was formed from Nos 97 and 166 Squadrons on 14 January 1939 at Benson.  It moved to Abingdon on 17 September, where it was redesignated No 10 OTU on 8 April 1940.

No 5 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at Hucknall but was not proceeded with.

This was formed from Nos 7 and 76 Squadrons on 14 September 1939 at Finningley.  It moved to Upper Heyford on 23 September, where it was redesignated No 16 OTU on 8 April 1940.

No 6 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at  and was not proceeded with.

No 11 Group Pool

This was formed on 14 January 1939 at Andover.  moving to St Athan on 1 July and then to Sutton Bridge, where it was redesignated No 6 OTU on 9 March 1940.

No 12 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at Hucknall and was not proceeded with.

This was formed on 15 September 1939 at Aston Down and was redesignated No 5 OTU on 6 March 1940.

No 13 Group Pool

This was planned to form on 11 January 1939 at Yeadon but was not proceeded with.

No 50 Group Pool

This was formed by July 1940 at Yatesbury, later moving to Watchfield, where it disbanded in late 1940.

No 51 Group Pool

This was formed on by 8 August 1939 at Moorfield House, Alma Road, Leeds and disbanded in late 1940, but the author has seen RAF service records of personnel who have been shown posted to this unit well after this date.

No 2 Group Training Flight

This was formed by March 1940 at an unknown location and disbanded on 31 December 1945 at Fersfield.

No 3 Group Training Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1941 at Stradishall, moving to Newmarket on 21 May 1941 and disbanded on 7 February 1942 into No 1483 Flight.

No 5 Group Training Flight

This was formed on about 25 February 1941 at Finningley, moving to Coningsby in March, then to Scampton on 18 August, returning to Coningsby on 2 October, where it was absorbed into No 1485 Flight on 30 October 1941.

No 205 Group Training Unit

This was formed by February 1942 at Shallufa and disbanded on 15 April 1942

Heavy Bomber Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1942 at Salbani and was redesignated No 1584 Heavy Bomber Conversion Flight on 23 July 1943.

No 5 Heavy Bomber Conversion Unit

See No 1675 Heavy Bomber Conversion Unit

Helicopter Operational Conversion Flight

This was formed from an element of the Short Range Conversion Unit on 1 July 1967 at Odiham and was redesignated Air Training Squadron on 1 May 1971.

Hercules Conversion Flight

This was formed on an unknown date at Lyneham, as an element of No 242 OCU, which was later redesignated No 57 (Reserve) Squadron.  It combined with the Hercules Training Flight in 1996 to become the Hercules Conversion and Training Flight.  In 1997, with the introduction of the C-130J, it became the 'J' Training Flight and disbanded in November 2001.

Hercules Training Flight

See Hercules Conversion Flight

No 1 Lancaster Finishing School

This was formed from the Lancaster elements of Nos 1656, 1662 and 1667 HCUs on 21 November 1943 at Lindholme in No 11 Base, No 1 Group, with 'A' Flight at Lindholme, 'B' Flight at Blyton and 'C' Flight at Faldingworth.  The unit moved to Hemswell on 20 January 1944 and disbanded on 25 November 1944.

No 3 Lancaster Finishing School

This was formed on 21 November 1943 at Feltwell in No 31 Base, No 3 Group, using a number of stations for night flying practices and disbanded on 31 January 1945.

No 5 Lancaster Finishing School

This was formed from No 1668 HCU on 21 November 1943 at Syerston in No 51 Base, No 5 Group and disbanded on 1 April 1945.

No 6 Lancaster Finishing School

This was formed on 1 January 1945 at Ossington in No 44 Group, to train crews for Transport Command and BOAC on Lancastrians and was redesignated No 1384 HTCU on 1 November 1945.

School of Land/Air Warfare

This was formed from the School of Air Support on 1 May 1947 at Old Sarum in No 11 Group, being transferred to No 12 Group on 1 December 1960 and disbanded on 31 March 1963, being absorbed into the Joint Warfare Establishment.

Maritime Operational Training Unit

This was formed on 1 October 1956 at Kinloss in No 18 Group, to replace both No 36 OCU and No 1 MRS.  It moved to St Mawgan on 7 July 1965, where it received its first Nimrod on 3 October 1969 and was redesignated No 236 OCU on 1 July 1970.

School of Maritime Reconnaissance

This was formed on 1 May 1951 at St Mawgan in No 19 Group, being redesignated No 1 Maritime Reconnaissance School at some point and disbanded on 30 September 1956 into MOTU.

No 1 Maritime Reconnaissance School

See School of Maritime Reconnaissance

Merlin Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed in mid 2000 at Benson, as a flight of No 28 Squadron, but when the RAF's Merlins were transferred to the Royal Navy it disbanded in July 2015 with the task being transferred to No 824 NAS.

Meteorological Conversion Unit

This was formed at Tiree to train Halifax crews for Meteorological Reconnaissance units on 28 October 1943 but was absorbed into No 517 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

Mosquito Conversion Flight

This was formed on 22 August 1943 at Sculthorpe, moving to Swanton Morley by March 1944 but its fate is unknown.

No 2 Group Mosquito Conversion Unit

Formed at Epinoy around 1945, no formation or disbandment dates have so far been found.

Mosquito Conversion Unit

This was formed on 30 August 1942 at Horsham St Faith, moving to Marham on 29 September and was redesignated No 1655 MTU on 18 October 1942.

Multi-Engine Training Squadron

This was formed on 4 May 1977 at Leeming, as part of No 3 FTS.  It moved to Finningley as part of No 6 FTS on 8 July 1979 and was redesignated No 45 (Reserve) Squadron  on 1 July 1992.

School of Naval Co-operation                                            

This was formed from the RAF and Naval Co-operation School on 23 December 1919 at Lee-on-Solent and was redesignated the School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation on 1 April 1920.

School of Naval Co-operation

This was formed from the Seaplane Training School on 19 April 1923 at Lee-on-Solent in No 10 Group.  It moved to Ford on 29 December 1937 and was transferred to the Admiralty on 24 May 1939 as Nos 750, 751 and 752 Squadrons FAA.

School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation

This was formed from the School of Naval Co-operation on 1 April 1920 at Calshot in No 10 Group and disbanded on 5 February 2028.

Operational Conversion Units - those have been included in the Public area - [Nos 226 - 236 | Nos 236 - 242]

Operational Training Units - those have been included in the Public area - [Nos 1 -23 | Nos 34 - 38 | Nos 41 - 63 | Nos 70 - 86 | Nos 101 - 152]

No 1 Operational Training Unit (India)

This was formed from personnel of No 155 Squadron on 1 April 1942 at Risalpur in No 1 (Indian) Group and was redesignated No 151 OTU on 28 July 1942.

Phantom Conversion Flight

This was formed on 1 July 1969 at Leuchars and was redesignated No 43 Squadron on 1 September 1969.

Phantom Training Flight

This was formed from the RAF Post OCU on 24 September 1974 at Leuchars in No 11 Group and disbanded on 5 September 1978.

Phantom Training Flight

It reformed on 1 February 1991 at Wattisham, within No 74 Squadron to take over the tasks of No 228 OCU and disbanded on 31 December 1991.

Polish Air Force Transport Pool

This was formed within Transport Command on 15 March 1944 to training Polish crews, but its fate is unknown.

Reserve Training Squadron

This was formed from No 230 OCU on 15 October 1952 at Scampton but its fate is unknown.

RAF and Army Co-operation School

This was formed from the Artillery and Infantry Co-operation School (Winchester) on 19 September 1918 at Worthy Down and was redesignated the School of Army Co-operation on 23 December 1919.

RAF Base Calshot

This was formed on 5 February 1923 at Calshot and was redesignated RAF Station Calshot on 1 April 1935.

RAF Base Gosport                                                                   

This was formed on 1 October 1921 at Gosport and was redesignated RAF Station Gosport on 1 April 1935.

RAF Base Leuchars

This was formed on 16 March 1920 at Leuchars in No 29 Group and was redesignated RAF Training Base, Leuchars in 1925.

RAF and Naval Co-operation School

This was formed from Nos 209 and 210 TDSs on 15 May 1919 at Lee-on-Solent and was redesignated the RAF Seaplane Establishment on 14 July 1919.

School of RAF and Naval Co-operation and Navigation

This was formed from RAF Seaplane Establishment on 12 December 1919 at Lee-on-Solent and was redesignated the School of Naval Co-operation and Aerial Navigation on 1 April 1920.

RAF School of Air Transport

This was formed on 4 November 1944 at Netheravon in No 38 Group and disbanded on 5 March 1946.

RAF Training Base Leuchars

This was formed in 1925 at Leuchars and was redesignated No 1 FTS on 1 April 1935.

 Royal Norwegian Air Force Transport Pool

This was formed at HQ Transport Command in Harrow on 6 October 1944 and disbanded on 8 August 1946.

Sea King Training Flight                                                                      

This was formed on 17 February 1978 at Culdrose, being temporarily closed and replaced by the Sea King Training Flight in No 706 NAS from 4 October 1979 to 2 April 1993, when it reverted to its original title at St Mawgan and disbanded on 1 April 1996 being replaced by the Sea King OCU.

Sea King Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1996 at St Mawgan and was redesignated No 203 (Reserve) Squadron on 1 November 1996.

Search and Rescue Training Flight/Unit

This was formed on 3 December 1979 at Valley in No 18 Group, becoming a part of No 60 (Reserve) Squadron, Defence Helicopter Flying School on 31 March 1997.  With the ending of the RAF Search and Rescue commitment it was redesignated No 202 (Reserve) Squadron in May 2016 to provide RAF helicopter crews with training in mountain and maritime flying.

Sentry Training Squadron

This was formed on 1 June 1990 at Waddington and was absorbed into No 23 Squadron as the Sentry Training Flight on 1 April 1996.

Short Range Conversion Unit

This was formed on 5 August 1964 at Odiham and was redesignated the Air Training Squadron on 1 July 1967.

Tactical Weapons Unit

This was formed from an element of No 229 OCU on 2 September 1974 at Brawdy in No 11 Group.  It comprised Nos 63, 79 and 234 Shadow Squadrons and was redesignated No 1 TWU on 31 July 1978.

No 1 Tactical Weapons Unit

This was formed from the TWU on 31 July 1978 at Brawdy in No 11 Group.  No 63 (Reserve) Squadron moved to Chivenor on 1 August 1980, where it became No 2 TWU on 1 May 1981.  No 1 TWU  was absorbed into No 7 FTS on 31 August 1992.

No 2 Tactical Weapons Unit

This was formed on 31 July 1978 at Lossiemouth and disbanded on 1 May 1981.

It reformed on 1 May 1981 at Chivenor.  Initially comprising of No 63 (Reserve) Squadron, No 151 (Reserve) Squadron was added in September and No 2 TWU was redesignated No 7 FTS on 1 April 1992.

Tanker Training Flight

This was formed from the tanker element of No 233 OCU on 1 July 1965 at Marham in  and was absorbed into the Victor Training Unit on 13 October 1969.

Tornado GR 4 Operational Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1999 at Lossiemouth, although it is more usually identified as No XV (Reserve) Squadron and remains in existence.

Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit                                                     This was formed on 3 August 1981 at Honington in No 1 Group, being allocated the designation No 45 (Reserve) Squadron on 1 January 1984 and was redesignated No XV (Reserve) Squadron on 1 April 1992.

Torpedo Aeroplane School

This was formed on 3 July 1918 at East Fortune and was redesignated No 201 TDS on 14 August 1918.

Torpedo Bombing School

This was formed on 15 April 1942 at Shallufa in No 205 Group and was redesignated No 5 METS on 16 May 1942.

Torpedo Refresher School

This was formed on 29 May 1943 at Ratmalana in No 222 Group but its fate is unknown.

Torpedo Training Flight

This was formed on 15 January 1934 at Donibristle and was absorbed into No 22 Squadron on 1 May 1934.

It reformed in March 1943 at Limavady in No 17 Group and was absorbed into No 1 TTU on 10 March 1943.

Torpedo Training School

This was formed from No 201 TDS on 30 April 1919 at East Fortune in  and disbanded in 1920.

Torpedo Training Squadron

This was formed on in October 1919 at Gosport and was redesignated No 210 Squadron on 1 February 1920.

No 1 Torpedo Training Squadron

This was formed from No 208 TDS on 19 July 1918 at East Fortune in  and was redesignated No 201 TDS on 14 August 1918.

Torpedo Training Unit

This was formed from 'A' Flight, RAF Station Gosport by February 1937 at Gosport in No 17 Group, moving to Abbotsinch on 19 March 1940, then to Turnberry between 11-14 November 1942, where it was absorbed into No 1 TTU on 1 January 1943.

No 1 Torpedo Training Unit

This was formed from 'the TTU 1 January 1943 at Turnberry in No 17 Group and was absorbed into No 5 (C) OTU on 22 May 1944.

It reformed on 1 August 1945 at Turnberry in No 17 Group, moving to Thorney Island in No 19 Group on 15 December 1946 and disbanded on 10 December 1947.

No 2 Torpedo Training Unit

This was formed from  on 19 December 1942 at Castle Kennedy in No 17 Group and was absorbed into No 1 TTU on 29 September 1943.

Transport Command Initial Conversion Unit

This was formed from  on 1 July 1946 at Dishforth in No 4 Group, moving to Bramcote later that month and then to Bircham Newton in October.  It was transferred to No 38 Group on 2 February 1948 and disbanded on 16 September 1948.

Transport Initial Conversion Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1946, possibly at Bramcote in No 4 Group, moving to Bircham Newton on 5 January 1948 in No 38 Group and disbanded on 16 September 1948.

Transport Command Training and Development Flight

This was formed on 14 October 1951 at Abingdon, moving to Benson on 16 Jan 1956 disbanded on 1 February 1957.

Transport Support Practice Camp

This was formed at Netheravon on 1 April 1947 equipped with 11 Horsa gliders, disbanding on 5 January 1948.  It reformed at Schleswigland under the control of BAFO on 19 April 1948, now equipped with 8 Horsas, 1 Hamilcar and two Tiger Moths but disbanded again on 1 November 1948.

Transport Support Training Unit (India)

This was formed on 23 May 1944, possibly at Chaklala in No 229 Group, moving to Gujrat on 27 March 1945 and was redesignated No 1334 TCSU on 11 April 1945.

Transport Training Flight

This was formed on 15 June 1942 at Nanyuki, as part of No 70 OTU and disbanded on 5 September 1942.

Tri-National Tornado Training Establishment

This was formed on 1 April 1979 at Cottesmore in No 1 Group, to train Tornado crews for the RAF, German and Italian Air Forces.  In June 1998 the RAF element was absorbed into No XV (Reserve) Squadron and after the German and Italian element returned to the home countries, it disbanded on 31 March 1999.

Twin Pioneer Conversion Unit

This was formed from the Twin Pioneer element of No 230 Squadron on 1 January 1963 at Odiham and was redesignated the Short-Range Conversion Unit on 5 August 1964.

Victor (B2) Training Flight

This was formed from 'C' Flight, No 232 OCU on 1 April 1962 at Cottesmore, moving to Wittering on 31 March 1963 and disbanded on 6 February 1970 into No 232 OCU.

Victor Training Unit

This was formed from the Tanker Training Flight, the Victor B1 Ground School, AAR School and the Flight Simulator on 13 October 1969 at Marham and was redesignated No 232 OCU on 6 February 1970.

Warwick Conversion Unit

This was formed on 15 November 1943 at Thornaby in No 16 Group but its fate is unknown.

Warwick Training Unit

This was formed on 25 June 1943 at Docking in No 16 Group, moving to Bircham Newton on 3 July 1943 and was redesignated the ASR Training Unit on 13 October 1943.

Washington Conversion Unit

This was formed from the Bomber Command B-29 Training Squadron on 1 July 1950 at Marham and disbanded on 1 September 1951.

It reformed on 16 June 1952 at Marham in No 3 Group and disbanded on 27 March 1953.

Wellington Conversion Flight

This was formed on 24 April 1944 at Cranfield in No 9 Group, consisting of two towing circuses.  No 1 Circus being based at Valley whilst No 2 was at Hurn but its fate is unknown.

Wessex Training Flight

This was formed from the Wessex element of No 240 OCU 3 November 1980 at Benson in No 38 Group and disbanded on 30 April 1982.

West Raynham Conversion Flight

This was formed by 25 November 1942 at West Raynham, to provide conversion training Blenheim Vs but its fate is unknown.

This page was last updated on 16/08/18 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]