Air of Authority  - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Nos 215  - 298 Wings


This list does not include Initial Training Wings, which are listed under Ground Training Units.

No 215 Wing

This was formed at Yatesbury in August 1956 in Technical Training Command and disbanded on 15 January 1957.


No 231 Wing

This was formed on at Shallufa 27 December 1941 as No 231 (Bomber) Wing in No 205 Group.  On 15 September 1943 it was transferred from Middle East Command to Northwest African Air Forces and disbanded on 31 March 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
20 May 1942 Qotafiya
26 Jun 1942 LG.224 Cairo West
29 Jun 1942 Abu Sueir
1 Jul 1942 Wadi el Sheria
10 Jul 1942 Abu Sueir
6 Nov 1942 LG.224 Cairo West:
13 Nov 1942 LG.106 near El Daba
28 Nov 1942 LG.140 Bir Gabr
15 Dec 1942 Benina
20 Jan 1943 El Magrun
15 Feb 1943 Gardarbia East
13 Mar 1943 Gardarbia West
26 May 1943 Kairouan/Cheria
17 Nov 1943 Djedeida North
10 Dec 1943  embarked for Italy
16 Dec 1943 Cerignola
29 Dec 1943 Tortorella
21 Jan 1944 San Giovanni
19 Apr 1944 Tortorella
2 Oct 1945 Aqir
12 - 14 Dec 1945 Shallufa

 

Date Squadron Notes
27 Dec 1941 Nos 37, 70 and 108 arrived on formation
20 May 1942 No 108 to No 236 Wing
by 13 Mar 1943 No 40  
25 Jun 1943 No 40 to No 236 Wing

It reformed at Kabrit on 2 September 1946 as No 231 (Transport) Wing in No 205 Group with Nos 78 and 216 Squadrons but disbanded on 31 July 1947.


No 232 Wing

This was formed at El Firdan on 10 December 1941 by redesignating No 265 Wing as No 232 (Light Bomber) Wing in Western Desert Air Force.  On 16 May 1943 it was transferred to Northwest African Tactical Bomber Force then on 1 October from HQ Middle East to Northwest African Air Forces (DAF).  It was transferred from DAF to Northwest African Tactical Air Forces on 1 November, then back to the Desert Air Force on 10 December, under whose control it remained until  1 June 1944 when it was transferred to Balkan Air Force  On 21 September 1945 it was placed under AHQ Greece and disbanded 12 December 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
11 May 1942 Lydda
Jul 1942 Tel Aviv
29 Aug 1942 LG 'Y' Qassassin
17 Sep 1942 LG.98 Amriya
22 Sep 1942 LG.86 Amriya
27 Dec 1942 Derna
20 Jan 1943 LG.86 Amriya
4 Mar 1943 El Sirtan East
10 - 13 Mar 1943 Ben Gardane North
3 - 4 Apr 1943 Medenine West
15 Apr 1943 La Fauconnerie
1 Jun 1943 Enfidaville South
20 Jun 1943 Reyville
19 Jul 1943 Adv Pty to Hal Far
20 Jul 1943 Adv Pty to Luqa
2 Aug 1943 Arizona Marshalling Yards
5 Aug 1943 To LSTs at La Goulette, Tunis
7 Aug 1943 Licata, Sicily
9 Aug 1943 Monte Lungo, Sicily
21 Aug 1943 Sigonella
25 Sep 1943 Brindisi/Campo Casale, Italy
27 Oct 1943 Foggia No 1
1 Nov 1943 Celone
18 Mar 1944 No 232 (Advanced) Wing to Campomarina
20 Mar 1944 No 232 (Advanced) Wing to Biferno (det to Marcianise)
1 May 1944 Regina

Advanced Wing to Marcianise

13 Jun 1944 Advanced Wing to La Banca
25 Jun 1944 Tarquinia (whole Wing)
18 Jul 1944 Cecina
23 Oct 1944 Falconara
1 Nov 1944 Ancona ('A' Party Perugia)
7 Mar 1945 Forli
9 May 1945 Aviano
21 Sep 1945 HASSANI
13 Mar 1946 detachment to Sedes

 

Date Squadron Notes
22 Sep 1942 Nos 55 and 223 arrived
18 Oct 1942 12th Bombardment Gp USAAF (82nd, 83rd and 434th Sqns) attached at LG.88
31 Oct 1943 Nos 18 and 114 from No 326 Wing
11 Mar 1944 No 223 No 3 (SAAF) Wing
25 Mar 1944 No 13 arrived
By 1 Jun 1944 No 13 RHAF arrived
26 Feb 1945 No 256 arrived
12 Sep 1945 No 256 left

No 233 Wing

This was formed at El Firdan on 10 December 1941 by redesignating No 273 Wing as No 233 (Fighter) Wing.  On 27 Feb 1942 it moved to El Ballah, where it formed a Conversion and Refresher School, which was later redesignated No 1 Middle East Training School.  It was transferred to No 211 Group in March 1942 but on 5 January 1943 it was reduced to cadre at No 23 PTC. The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
27 Feb 1942 El Ballah
4 Apr 1942 left for Gasr el Arid
9 Apr 1942 arrived Gasr el Arid
22 May 1942 Gambut No 2
28 Jun 1942 LG.85 Amriya
10 Jul 1942 LG.97
10 Nov 1942 LG.75
14 Nov 1942 Gambut
18 Nov 1942 Gazala No 3
19 Nov 1942 Martuba
23 Nov 1942 Msus
 18 Dec 1942 Cyrene
2 Jan 1943 Buq Buq
4 Jan 1943 No 23 PTC Helwan

 

Date Squadron Notes
10 Jan - 9 Feb 1942 No 12 SAAF attached to re - equip
27 Jan - 6 Feb 1942 No 237 attached to re - equip
By 9 Apr 1942 Nos 2, 4 and 5 SAAF arrived
17 Dec 1942 Nos 2, 4 and 5 SAAF to No 7 SAAF Wing

Wing Leaders

xx xxx 1941                Wg Cdr B Beresford

It reformed at Haifa on 1 March 1943 as No 233 (Administration) Wing and was redesignated RAF Station Haifa on 1 August 1943.

It reformed at Tripoli on 5 October 1943 as No 233 (Fighter) Wing to control units in Tripolitania following the transfer of Nos 201 and 214 Groups to Northwest African Air Forces, taking over No 210 Group units and transferring its own units to No 212 Group, disbanding on 25 January 1944.


No 234 Wing

This was formed at Sidi Haneish North (LG.12) on 5 December 1941 by redesignating No 269 Wing as No 234 (Mobile Defensive Fighter) Wing in No 201 Group.  On 19 December 1941 it was placed under AHQ Egypt, reverting to AHQ Western Desert on 8 February 1942 but returning to AHQ Egypt on 5 May and disbanded into No 219 Group on 6 December 1942.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
19 Dec 1941 Ma'aten Bagush
21 Jun 1942 LG.20 Daba
28 Jun 1942 Edku
1 - 2 Jul 1942 No 23 PTC Helwan
24 Aug 1942 Advanced HQ to Fayoum
5 Sep 1942 El Rus
6 Nov 1942 Advanced HQ to LG.172
14 Nov 1942 LG.08 Mersa Matruh
19 Nov 1942 Rear HQ El Rus to LG.08 Mersa Matruh

 

Squadron Dates
No 30 5 Dec 1941 - 16 Feb 1942
No 80 31 May 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 127 det 22 Sep 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 127 Nov 1942
No 238 8 Feb 1942 - 31 May 1942
No 252 Feb 1942 - Jun 1942
No 272 Feb 1942 - Jun 1942
No 335 24 Jun 1942 - Nov 1942
No 805 RN 5 Dec 1941 - 27 May 1942
No 889 RN 2 Jan 1942 - 24 Jun 1942, 25 Nov 1942 - 18 Dec 1942
No 1 SAAF 15 Feb 1942 - 9 Apr 1942
No 5 SAAF Mar 1942 - Apr 1942
Alsace Sqn 22 Apr 1942 - Jun 1942
RN Fulmar Flt 24 Dec 1941 - 2 Jan 1942

It reformed at No 22 PTC Almaza on 15 Jan 1944 as No 234 (Fighter) Wing but disbanded on 19 February 1944.


No 235 Wing

This was formed at Benghazi on 20 Jan 1942 by redesignating Advanced HQ, No 201 Group as No 235 (General Reconnaissance. later Naval Co-operation) Wing.  By November 1943 it was in No 212 Group but was redesignated RAF Gambut on 29 February 1944.   The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
26 Jan 1942 Adv HQ to Tobruk
2 Feb 1942 Fuka Main
by 1 Mar 1942 Sidi Barrani
by 7 May 1942 LG.05 and LG.121
21 Jun 1942 LG.16 Fuka Satellite
27 Jun 1942 Burg el Arab
28 Jun 1942 LG.87
30 Jun 1942 Almaza
1 Jul 1942 Qassassin
3 Jul 1942 in transit to Palestine
5 Jul 1942 Ramat David
7 Jul 1942 St Jean
14 Jul 1942 Adv HQ to Beirut
Oct 1942 detachment at Gaza East
8 Nov 1942 Adv Pty to LG.227 Gianaclis Satellite
17 Nov 1942 detachment to LG.08 Mersa Matruh
3 Jan 1943 detachment to LG.07
30 Nov 1942 in transit
3 Dec 1942 LG.143 Gambut No 3
8 Aug 1943 Special detachment to X Wing at LG.91 Amriya
2 - 24 Nov 1943 detachment at El Adam whilst Gambut u/s
xx xxx xxxx detachment at LG.07 Matruh West to 5 Feb 1944

 

Squadron Dates
No 14 Apr 1942 - Jan 1943
No 18 Mar 1942
No 38 det Mar 1942 - Jan 1943
No 39 Jan 1942 - Mar 1942
No 47 7 Jul 1942 - xx xxx xxxx, Oct 1943 - 31 Jan 1944
No 47 det 24 Oct 1942 - Jan 1943
No 55 det 25 Dec 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
No 162 det xx xxx xxxx - 1 Mar 1944
No 203 det 27 Dec 1941 - Jul 1942
No 221 Jan 1942 - Jan 1943
No 227 xx xxx xxxx - 19 Jul 1943
No 272 det Jan 1942
No 294 det 10 Apr 1943 - 29 Feb 1944
No 454 Mar 1943 - 6 Aug 1943
No 458 det Dec 1942 - Jan 1943
No 459 10 Feb 1942 - Feb 1944
No 603 Oct 1943 - 31 Jan 1944
No 700 RN 7 Jul 1942 - 1 Aug 1942
No 701 RN Oct 1942
No 815 RN 20 Jan 1942 - 19 Jul 1943
No 826 RN 22 Dec 1941 - 19 Oct 1942
No 13 RHAF Jun 1942 - 5 Jan 1944
No 1 SAAF 2 Jan 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 15 SAAF Dec 1942 - 29 Jul 1943
No 24 SAAF 26 Jan 1944 - 29 Feb 1944
RN Fighter Sqn 20 Jan 1942 - Feb 1942
Nancy Flt 7 Jul 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
Sea Rescue Flt det 28 Dec 1941 - xx xxx xxxx

No 236 Wing

This was formed at Kabrit on 1 Feb 1942 as No 236 (Mobile Medium Bomber, later Heavy Bomber) Wing in No 205 Group.  On 15 April 1942 No 2 METS was formed under its control and around July 1943 it was transferred to No 201 Group then from 15 September from Middle East Command to Northwest African Air Forces and disbanded on 20 December 1946.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
22 May 1942 Amriya
23 May 1942 LG.106 El Daba
26 Jun 1942 Amriya
27 Jun 1942 Kabrit
19 Aug 1942 LG.237 (Gebel Hamzi/Kilo 40)
1 Dec 1942 LG.167 Bir el Baheira No 2
7 Dec 1942 LG.237
4 Feb 1943 Solluch
14 Feb 1943 Gardabia Main
30 May 1943 Alem East
24 Jun 1943 Hani West
17 Nov 1943 Oudna I (Bizerte)
5 Dec 1943 in transit to Italy
16 Dec 1943 Cerignola No 4
30 Dec 1943 Foggia Main
20 Oct 1945 in transit to Egypt
3 Nov 1945 Abu Sueir
17 Sep 1946 Shallufa

 

Dates Squadron Notes
 1 Feb 1942 Nos 104 and 148 arrived on formation
20 May 1942 No 108 from No 231 Wing
13 Nov 1942 No 462 arrived
14 Dec 1942 No 148 disbanded
25 Dec 1942 No 108 disbanded
21 May 1943 No 462 left
25 Jun 1943 No 40 from No 231 Wing

No 237 Wing

This was formed at Mosul on 1 April 1942 by redesignating RAF Mosul as No 237 (Fighter) Wing in No 214 Group and by September had become part of Paiforce, to undertake operation in the invasion of Persia (Iran) and disbanded on 28 February 1943.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
26 Nov 1942 Kirkuk in transit to Teheran
27 Nov 1942 Khurmatle
28 Nov 1942 Khanequin
1 Dec 1942 Kangavar
2 Dec 1942 Malaya, Iran
3 Dec 1942 Shaveh
4 Dec 1942 Qum
5 Dec 1942 Mehrabad, Teheran

 

Dates Squadron Notes
 1 Apr 1942 Nos 52 and 237 arrived on formation
18 Oct 1942 No 74 arrived
22 Oct 1942 No 123 arrived
by Dec 1942 No 237

No 126 MU

reduced to detachment

arrived

It reformed at Limassol, Cyprus on 9 August 1943 from a composite detachment of No 259 Wing in No 201 Group.  On 23 September it moved to Lakatamia and on 13 December was en route to LG.91, where it was redesignated No 237 (General Reconnaissance) Wing on 15 January 1944, still in No 201 Group.  It moved to LG.07 Matruh West on 2 February, two days later being transferred to No 219 Group, by which time it controlled Nos 252, 294 and 15 SAAF Squadrons.  It was redesignated RAF Matruh West on 29 February 1944.


No 238 Wing

This was formed at Shallufa on 30 January 1942 as No 238 (Medium Bomber) Wing in No 205 Group.  On 17 February 1943 it was transferred to No 201 Group to undertake naval co-operation duties and disbanded into No 247 Wing on 20 September 1943.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
19 Aug 1942 Kabrit
6 Nov 1942 LG.204 (Fayoum Road)
11 Nov 1942 LG.104 (Qotafiya II)
27 - 28 Nov 1942 LG.237 (Kilo 40)
Nov 1942 Luqa (and Modern Imperial Hotel, Sliema)
20 Jan 1943 LG.237 (Kilo 40)
7 Mar 1943 Misurata

 

Dates Squadron Notes
30 Jan 1942 Nos 37, 40 and No 220 det arrived on formation
xx xxx 1942 No104 arrived
xx May 1942 No 220 det left
27 May 1942 No 2 METS attached
25 Jun 1942 No 147 det attached
26 Aug 1942 No 2 METS left
27 - 28 Nov 1942 No 108 and Special Operations (Liberator) Flight taken over
Nov 1942 Nos 40 and 104 still controlled on moving to Luqa
20 Jan 1943 Nos 40 det, 104 det, 462 det and No 2 METS on returning to Kilo 40
7 Mar 1943 Nos 47, 252, 603 and 16 SAAF on moving to Misurata
22 Jun 1943 No 47 to No 328 Wing

It reformed at New Delhi on 11 September 1945 by redesignating No 238 Group as No 238 (Airborne Forces) Wing in No 227 Group.  On 1 January 1946 No 298 Squadron was attached with the Wing HQ moving on 16 March to Gizri Camp, Clifton, Karachi, Malir Cantonment, Sind, where it disbanded on 15 November 1946, being replaced by a No 229 Group detachment in No 1 (Indian) Group.


No 239 Wing

This was formed at Gambut No 1 with a detachment at El Adem on 1 March 1942 by redesignating No 262 Wing as No 239 (Offensive Fighter) Wing, having been placed under No 214 Group by 17 May 1943 and disbanded on 8 January 1947. The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
17 Jun 1942 Sidi Azeiz
18 Jun 1942 LG.75 South of Sidi Barrani
23 Jun 1942 Sidi Haneish
26 Jun 1942 El Daba
29 Jun 1942 near Amriya
6 Nov 1942 El Daba
9 Nov 1942 Sidi Haneish
11 Nov 1942 Mischiefa
13 Nov 1942 Sidi Azeiz
14 Nov 1942 Gambut
15 Nov 1942 LG.149 Gazala
19 Nov 1942 Martuba
8 Dec 1942 Belandah
18 Dec 1942 Marble Arch
30 Dec 1942 Alem el Chel No 2
17 Jan 1943 Hamraiet East
18 Jan 1943 Sedada
24 Jan 1943 Castel Benito
14 Feb 1943 El Assa
8 Mar 1943 Neffatia
3 Apr 1943 El Hamma
5 Apr 1943 Medenine West
14 Apr 1943 El Diem
18 Apr 1943 10 miles from Kairouan
17 May 1943 Zuara nearTripoli
9 Jul 1943 Malta
17 Jul 1943 Pachino
1 Aug 1943 Agnone
15 Sep 1943 Grottaglie
22 Sep 1943 Bari
30 Sep 1943 Foggia
27 Oct 1943 Mileni
29 Dec 1943 Cutella
21 May 1944 San Angelo
13 Jun 1944 Guidonia
24 Jun 1944 Falerium
10 Jul 1944 Creti
23 Aug 1944 Jesi
18 Nov 1944 Fano
25 Feb 1945 Cervia
14 May 1945 Lavariano
1 Jan 1946 Tissano
16 Sep 1946 Treviso

 

Dates Squadron Notes
 1 Mar 1942 Nos 112. 250 and 450 taken over on formation
29 Jun 1942 No 3 RAAF arrived
8 Mar 1943 No 260 arrived
28 Aug 1943 No 5 SAAF arrived
11 Aug 1945 Nos 225 and 318 arrived
14 Aug 1945 No 3 RAAF disbanded
19/20 Aug 1945 Nos 260 and 450 disbanded
18 Oct 1945 No 225 left
8 Mar 1946 No 318 left
16 Sep 1946 Nos 93 arrived

Wing Leaders:  -

 1 Mar 1942               Wg Cdr C Mayers

xx xxx 1942                Wg Cdr D Haysom

xx xxx 1945                Wg Cdr G H Westlake


 No 240 Wing

This was formed at No 23 PTC Helwan on 7 March 1942 as No 240 (Mobile Light Bomber, later Reconnaissance) Wing, becoming operational on 28 June but was redesignated No 285 Wing on 7 August 1942.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
1 Jul 1942 Heliopolis

Advance HQ Mena

13 Jul 1942 LG.90
16 Jul 1942 LG.28 (Burg el Arab)

 

Dates Squadron Notes
1 Jul 1942 No 208, 4 SAAF, 60 SAAF, No 2 PRU and No 1437 Flt joined

It reformed at No 23 PTC Helwan on 19 May 1943 as No 240 (Heavy Bomber) Wing in North Eastern Command, IXth Bomber Command, US 9th Air Force.  On 28 December it was transferred to No 212 Group then on 1 March 1944 from Middle East Command to Mediterranean Allied Strategical Air Force and disbanded on 15 September 1946. The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
12 - 18 Jun 1943 Hosc Raui
29 Sep 1943 Terria
28 Dec 1943 El Adem
4 Feb 1944 No 22 PTC Almaza
1 Mar 1944 Celone
 6 Jul 1944 Amendola
25 Aug - 8 Sep 1945 Ein Shemer
9 - 11 Sep 1945 Fayid

 

Dates Squadron Notes
19 May 1943 Nos 178 and 462/614 initial allocation
By 9 Sep 1945 Nos 178 and 214 under control

No 241 Wing

This was formed at Kasfareet on 12 April 1942 as No 241 (Mobile Offensive Fighter, later Administrative) Wing in No 213 Group, AHQ Levant.  On 2 November it was reorganised at Beirut to administer all units in Syria, being transferred to No 209 Group on 15 December and disbanded to form AHQ Beirut on 1 August 1943.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
15 Apr 1942 No 23 PTC Helwan
17 May 1942 Ismailia
18 May 1942 Asluj
19 May 1942 Tulkarm West
20 May 1942 Homs
22 May 1942 Nerab
30 Jun 1942 Advanced HQ to Beirut
 2 Nov 1942 Beirut
1 Dec 1942 Aleppo

 

Dates Squadron Notes
14 Nov 1942 No 451 attached
15 Dec 1942 No 1434 Flt attached

No 242 Wing

This was formed at Fayid on 10 February 1942 as No 242 (Bomber) Wing in No 205 Group, being transferred to AHQ Egypt on 11 November.  On moving to Maison Blanche on 1 May 1943 it was transferred to Northwest African Air Force and was redesignated No 332 Wing on 1 July 1943.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
12 Aug 1942 Aqir
22 Nov 1942 No 23 PTC Helwan
25 Nov 1942 Ismailia
1 May 1943 Maison Blanche

 

Dates Squadron Notes
10 Feb 1942 Nos 108, 147 and ground party No 159 initial allocation
30 May 1942 No 458 attached
By 12 Aug 1942 Nos 147, 159, 160 and 458 units controlled on arrival at Aqir

It reformed at Woodhall Spa on 15 June 1945 as No 242 (Maintenance) Wing in No 54 Base for service with 'Tiger Force' with 4 Lancaster and 1 Mosquito Squadrons but was absorbed into a new organisation instead.


No 243 Wing

This was formed at El Adem on 1 March 1942 by redesignating No 258 Wing as No 243 (Offensive Fighter) Wing in No 211 Group.  On 27 September  it was transferred to No 212 Group, to No 212 Group on 13 January 1943, then from AHQ Western Desert to AHQ Egypt on 3 February with Nos 213 and 274 Squadrons.  It was reduced to Number Plate basis on 8 February and disbanded on 28 February 1943.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
20 Apr 1942 LG.013 Sidi Haneish South
May 1942 Gambut
20 Jun 1942 in transit
22 Jun 1942 LG.76 Sidi Haneish
26 Jun 1942 LG.105 El Daba
28 Jun 1942 LG.154
24 Jul 1942 LG.172
28 Jul 1942 LG.154
5 Aug 1942 Edku
22 Aug 1942 LG.154
21 - 23 Oct 1942 LG.172
7 Nov 1942 LG.20
9 - 10 Nov 1942 LG.012
11 - 12 Nov 1942 LG.101
13 Nov 1942 LG125
17 Nov 1942 LG.144 El Adem
25 Nov 1942 Martuba No 1 and Benina
5 Jan 1943 Beda Littoria
11 Jan 1943 Agedabia East:
17 Jan 1943 Nofilia
19 Jan 1943 Tamet West
21 Jan 1943 Misurata

 

Squadron Dates
No 33 Apr 1942 - 28 Feb 1943
No 73 Apr 1942 - Sep 1942, 26 Sep 1942 - 8 Nov 1942
No 80 Apr 1942 - 26 Jun 1942, Dec 1942
No 89 det Dec 1942 - Feb 1943
No 145 25 May 1942 - Sep 1942
No 213 Jun 1942 - 8 Feb 1943
No 238 31 May 1942 - xx xxx xxxx, 26 Sep 1942 - Jan 1943
No 274 Mar 1942 - 26 Jun 1942, Dec 1942 - Feb 1943
No 601 1 - 26 Sep 1943
No 1 SAAF 26 Sep 1942  - 7 Nov 1942
No 7 SAAF Jul 1942

It reformed at Antimachia, Cos Island on 18 September 1943 as No 243 (Fighter) Wing comprising No 7 Squadron SAAF and a few aircraft of No 74 Squadron.  The last message from the Wing was received on 3-4 October following which only 10 personnel managed to escape and it was formally disbanded on 20 October 1943.

It reformed at No 21 PTC Kasfareet on 26 October 1943 as No 243 (Standard Offensive Fighter) Wing with Hurricane and Spitfire squadrons allotted to AHQ India.  On embarking at Suez it was transferred from Mediterranean Air Command to ACSEA.  On arrival in Chittagong it was placed under No 224 Group, was then transferred to No 221 Group on 17 Apr 1944, being regrouped for the close support of XXXIII Corps later in the month and was redesignated No 907 Wing on 1 December 1944.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
14 Nov 1943 embarked HMT Devonshire at Suez
29 Nov 1943 arrived Bombay
3 Dec 1943 No 36 PTC Calcutta
5 Dec 1943 embarked HMT Nevasa
9 Dec 1943 Chittagong
10 Dec 1943 Feni
17-19 Jan 1944 Hay (Ramu)
17 Apr 1944  Jorhat
28 Apr 1944 Dergaon
23-26 Jul 1944 Manipur Road (Dimnapur)
26-29 Sep 1944 Imphal
7 Oct 1944 Tamu

 

Squadron Dates
No 5 Apr 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 11 18 Dec 1943 - 2 Mar 1944, Apr 1944 - May 1944
No 20 20 Jan 1944 - 25 Feb 1944
No 28 17 Apr 1944 - 6 Jul 1944
No 34 17 Apr 1944 - 23 Jul 1944
No 60 16 May 1944 - 2 Jul 1944
No 60 det 10-11 Nov 1944,
No 79 20 Jan 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 123 14 Nov 1943 - 4 Jan 1944
No 134 18 Dec 1943 - 20 Jan 1944 and 30 Jan 1944 - 25 Feb 1944
No 152 29 Oct 1944 - 1 Dec 1944
No 258 29 Oct 1944 - 1 Dec 1944
No 261 22 Feb 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 615 28 May 1944 - Jun 1944

Officers Commanding

xx xxx 1943            Wg Cdr E R Bitmead

 5 Jun 1944             Wg Cdr T P A Bradley

It was reformed at Strubby on 15 June 1945 as No 243 (Maintenance) Wing for service with Tiger Force but was absorbed into a new organisation instead.


No 244 Wing

This was formed at No 23 PTC Helwan on 4 June 1942 as No 244 (Fighter) Wing in No 211 Group (later No 205 Group)  On 1 October 1943 it was transferred from Middle East Command to Northwest African Air Forces and from 12 June 1944 was attached to the 64th Wing, 12th Tactical Air Command, USAAF (till when), finally disbanding on 27 January 1947.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
22 Jun 1942 Amriya
24 Jun 1942 LG.15 near Bagush
26 Jun 1942 LG.104
28 Jun 1942 Amriya (Kilo 162)
29 Jun 1942 LG.92
7 Nov 1942 LG.21/LG.13/LG.155
13 Nov 1942 Gambut West
25 Nov 1942 Msus
xx xxx 1942 Antelat
4 Dec 1942 El Hassiet
8 Dec 1942 Agedabia
19 Dec 1942 El Merduma
27 Dec 1942 El Chel
10 Jan 1943 Hamraiet
Jan 1943 Wadi Surri
18 Jan 1943 Darragh North
Feb 1943 Castel Benito
26 Feb 1943 Hazbub Main
2 Mar 1943 Ben Gardane South
10 Mar 1943 Bu Grara
8 Apr 1943 Gabes
5 May 1943 Hergla
17 May 1943 Ben Gardane North
14 Jun 1943 Luqa
13 Jul 1943 Cassibile
24 Jul 1943 Agnone
26 Jul 1943 Lentini West
19 Sep 1943 Grouaglie
25-29 Sep 1943 Gioia del Colle
5-6 Oct 1943 Foggia
18 Oct 1943 Triolo
26 Nov 1943 Canne
17 Jan 1944 Marcianse with detachment at Canne and a forward LG at Nettuno from 11 Apr 1944
24 Apr 1944 Venafro
12 Jun 1944 Littorio
18 Jun 1944 Fabrica
3 Jul 1944 Perugia
25 Aug 1944 Loreto
4 Sep 1944 Fano
4-5 Dec 1944 Bellaria
3 May 1945 Treviso
23 Sep 1946 Zeltweg

 

Squadron Dates
No 6 Mar 1943 - Apr 1943
No 73 Apr 1942 - Oct 1942
No 80 25 Jun 1942 - 1 Sep 1942
No 87 Sep 1946, No 92 Jul 1942 - 1946
No 127 25 Jun 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 145 Sep 1942 - 12 May 1945
No 238 1 - 26 Sep 1942
No 241 4 Dec 1944 - Jun 1945
No 253 27 Aug 1945 - xx xxx xxxx, Sep 1946
No 274 25 Jun 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 318 8 Mar 1946 - xx xxx xxxx
No 417 25 Feb 1943 - 1945
No 601 23 Jun 1942 - 1945
No 1 SAAF 25 Jun 1942 - 26 Sep 1942, Jul 1943
High Altitude Flt Sep 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
Polish Flt (attd No 145) Mar 1943 - Apr 1943

No 245 Wing

It was due to form at Shallufa on 7 March 1942 as No 245 (Mobile Medium Bomber) Wing in No 295 Group, but formation did not proceed.

It was formed at Aqir on 23 July 1942 by redesignating No 249 Wing as No 245 (Heavy Bomber) Wing  in No 205 Group.  On 13 August it moved to Fayid, from where an Advance Party went to Yirna on 7 September and the same day No 462 Squadron was formed within the Wing, absorbing detachments of Nos 10, 62, 76 and 227 Squadron.  It was reclassified as a Heavy Bomber Wing on 1 November, with Nos 178 and 462 Wellington squadrons, moving to LG.29 Burg el Arab on 16 November in No 201 Group for GR duties, now with Nos 47. 459 and 13 RHAF Squadrons.  A further move was made on 29 November to LG.237 and it disbanded on 17 December 1942.

It reformed at Shallufa on 20 February 1943 as No 245 (Naval Co-operation) Wing in No 201 Group in Alexandria area with Nos 52, 221, 227, 454 and 458 Squadrons.  On 15 April it moved to LG.91 with Nos 15 SAAF, 52, 458 and 459 Squadrons and by 5 July was operating a detachment at St Jean, where the remainder of the Wing moved on 20 October, leaving a detachment at det LG.91.  It now comprised Nos 17 SAAF and 454 Squadrons as well as detachments of Nos 38, 46 and 294 Squadrons, being redesignated RAF St Jean on 29 February 1944.


No 246 Wing

This was formed at Port Reitz, Mombasa on 1 June 1942 as No 246 (Defensive) Fighter Wing in No 207 Group with No 41 SAAF Squadron and No 35 SAAF Flt as well as detachments of Nos 202 and 209 Squadrons but must have disbanded or become non-operational at some point as it is quoted as reforming on 16 November under AHQ East Africa.  On 7 December, No 41 SAAF Squadron rejoined it and by 31 March 1943 it controlled Nos 16 SAAF, 41 SAAF, 209, 259, 262 and 490 Squadrons as well as Nos 34 and 35 SAAF Flights, now in the General Reconnaissance role and disbanded on 10 June 1945.


No 247 Wing

This was formed at Alexandria on 7 March 1942 as No 247 (Twin-engined day fighter, later Naval Co-operation) Wing in No 201 Group and by 30 June was controlling Nos 13 RHAF, 38, 203, 221 and 459 Squadrons.  On moving to Berka II it comprised Nos 14, 15 SAAF, 38, 221, 252, 458 and 459 Squadrons and by March 1943 it was controlling Nos 38, 47, 203 and 252 Squadrons plus the Sea Rescue Flight.  With the disbandment of No 238 Wing on 20 September it took over Misurata as a detachment including No 16 SAAF Squadron, being redesignated RAF Berka on 29 February 1944. The table below shows its various locations.

Date Location
18 Apr 1942 LG.229 Gianaclis
3 Dec 1942 Berka II
from/by 3 Feb 1943 Advanced HQ at Misurata

No 248 Wing

This was formed on 7 Mar 1942 as No 248 (General Reconnaissance/Torpedo Bomber) Wing in No 201 Group but it was 25 May before the nucleus disembarked at Alexandria to the Middle East Pool and 6 June before it reported to No 24 PTC Aboukir.  On 15 June it moved to Edku:, where it took control of Nos 38, 221 and 458 Squadrons, No 5 Middle East Training School and Nos 1 - 3 Mobile Torpedo Units on 10 August.  It moved to Shallufa on 14 August and was placed under AHQ Malta on 24 August, with No 38 Squadron arriving on 2 September 1942 and on 18 December became No 248 (Naval Co-operation) Wing at Valletta with No 69 Squadron and detachments of Nos 39, 230, 828 RN and 831 RN Squadrons.  The rest of  No 39 Squadron and Nos 221 and 458 Squadrons joined it in January 1943, with No 458 absorbing the 69 Squadron Wellington Flight.  On 1 July No 683 Squadron joined the Wing, which was transferred from Middle East Command to Northwest African Air Force on 22 Sep 1943 and disbanded 6 October 1944.


No 249 Wing

This was formed at No 23 PTC Helwan on 11 April 1942 by redesignating the Air Transport Wing as No 249 (Heavy Air Transport) Wing.  On 28 June it moved to Abu Sueir as No 249 (Heavy Bomber) Wing, then to Aqir on 1 July with Nos 10 and 76 Squadrons but on 14 July was reduced to cadre and redesignated No 245 Wing on 23 July 1942.

It reformed at Marble Arch on 20 January 1943 as No 249 (Transport) Wing in Western Desert Air Force to control Nos 117, 216 and 267 Squadrons.  On 6 March it moved to Castel Benito, to El Diem North on 23 April, then back to Castel Benito on 23 May, where it was transferred to No 214 Group  on 13 June and disbanded 15 September 1943.

It reformed at Naples on 7 November 1943 as No 249 (Transport) Wing in MAAF by redesignating Advanced HQ No 216 Group.  On 13 November it moved to Villa Roma, 5 Via Armando Dias, Portici, near Naples with an Advanced Wing at Bari by 21 Jan 1944, then to Ruva di Puglia on 5 January 1945 and finally to Bari on 25 July 1945, being transferred to AHQ Italy on 1 June 1946 and disbanded on 15 August 1946.


No 250 Wing

This was formed at Ismailia on 21 September 1939 by redesignating No 1 (Bomber) Wing as No 250 (Bomber) Wing to control Nos 30 and 55 Squadrons.  On 1 July 1941 it was re-organised as No 250 (Signals) Wing in No 202 Group at Ismailia to provide the air defence of the Suez Canal area with sector operations rooms at Port Said and Fayid.  For this task it initially comprised No 94 Squadron, No 5 REAF Squadron and Nos 972 - 974 Balloon Squadrons as well as various radar units and disbanded into No 219 Group on 6 December 1942.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 11 9 May 1940 - 26 Jun 1940
No 14 1 Dec 1939 - xx xxx xxxx
No 30 21 Sep 1939 - 8 Jul 1940
No 43 det  31 Jan 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 55 21 Sep 1939 - 11 Jun 1940
No 73 Aug 1941 - 31 Jan 1942
No 89 27 Nov 1941 - Dec 1942
No 94 1 Jul 1941 - 27 Oct 1941, 30 May 1942 - Oct 1942
No 213 Sep 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
No 250 31 Jan 1942 - 15 Mar 1942
No 252 det Aug 1941 - Sep 1941
No 272 det Aug 1941 - Sep 1941
No 417 5 Sep 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 805 RN May 1942 - 31 Jul 1942
No 889 RN det 5 Jul 1942 - 25 Nov 1942
No 2 REAF Nov 1941 - Dec 1941, 4 Mar 1942 - Jul 1942
No 5 REAF 9 Jul 1941 - Sep 1941 and Dec 1941 - 4 Mar 1942
No 1 SAAF 9 Apr 1942 - 23 Jun 1942
No 1 GRU 22 May 1940 - xx xxx xxxx
No 2 GRU 22 May 1940 - xx xxx xxxx

No 251 Wing

This was formed under RAF Middle East at Heliopolis on 21 September 1939 by redesignating No 2 (Bomber) Wing as No 251 (Bomber) Wing and by 1 December controlled Nos 70, 113 and 216 Squadrons but disbanded in March 1940.

A new unit arrived at Abadan in Middle East from the UK on 29 April 1942 as No 251 (Defensive Fighter) Wing for the defence of the Basrah area, being redesignated RAF Abadan on 1 October 1942

It reformed at No 3 BPD, Portici on 13 March 1944 as No 251 (Fighter) Wing under 87th Wing, 12th Tactical Air Command USAAF with Nos 237, 238 and 451 Squadrons.  On 12 July it was transferred to No 202 Group but on 24 September it ceased to operate, moving to Le Vallon on 2 October, where its aircraft were left behind and the Wing travelled by LST from Marseilles to Naples.  Arriving at Gragnano on 16 October it disbanded on 7 November 1944.  The table below show its various locations.

Date Location
18-19 Apr 1944 Poretta, Corsica
23 May 1944 Serragia
19 Jul 1944 Ste Catherine
31 Aug 1944 Cuers/Pierrefeu
2 Oct 1944 Le Vallon
16 Oct 1944 Gragnano

No 252 Wing

This was formed at Shafrakana on 21 Sep 1939 by redesignating the Fighter Wing, Egypt as No 252 (Fighter) Wing.  It was tasked with providing air defence for Cairo, the Nile Delta and the Suez Canal, initially comprising Nos 80 and 112 Squadrons with Gladiators.  By May 1940 these had been joined by Nos 2 and 5 REAF Squadrons and on 3 June it moved a new improvised HQ at Seagull Camp. Mex, near Alexandria.: No 30 Squadron arrived on 11 July, followed by No 33 Squadron on 25 July but the same day No 112 Squadron left the Wing.  In addition to the units already mentioned it also controlled Nos 46 (det), 89, 213, 252, 272, 274, 335, 889 RN, 5 SAAF, 1 SAAF Squadrons and Groupe 'Alsace' and was redesignated No 219 Group on 6 December 1942.

It reformed No 22 PTC Almaza on 15 January 1944 as No 252 (Special Operations) Wing but disbanded on 19 February 1944.


No 253 Wing

This was formed at Ma'aten Bagush on 21 Sep 1939 by redesignating the Advanced Bomber Wing (Egypt) as No 253 (Bomber) Wing No 202 Group, comprising Nos 33, 45, 208 and 211 Squadrons but was absorbed into No 202 Group on 10 June 1940.

It reformed at Ma'aten Bagush on 1 May 1941 initially designated the Air Component Wing and later No 253 (Army Co-operation) Wing under AHQ Western Desert, comprising Nos 1 SAAF, 45, 113 and 274 Squadrons.  It moved to a location 2 miles North of Sidi Haneish on 28 July then to Ghot Wahos on 22 September and disbanded into Advanced HQ, AHQ Western Desert on 17 November 1941, by which time it controlled Nos 208, 237 and 451 Squadrons.

It reformed at Falconara on 29 July 1944 as No 253 (Light Bomber) Wing in Desert Air Force, comprising Nos 15,. 454 and 500 Squadrons, equipped with Baltimores.  On 8 December it moved to Cesenatico then on 15 May 1945 to Villaorba, where it disbanded on 31 August 1945.


No 254 Wing

This was formed at Khartoum on 2 September 1939 by redesignating No 3 (Bomber) Wing as No 254 (Bomber) Wing under HQ Sudan, being transferred to No 203 Group in August 1940 and disbanded on 24 May 1941.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
7 Jun 1940 Erkoweit
7 Nov 1940 Port Sudan

 

Dates Squadron Notes
by 1 Dec 1939 Nos 47, 208, 223, 1 SRAF, 1 REAF and 2 REAF  
by 7 Jun 1940 Nos 14, 47, 112 detachment and 223  
by Sep 1940 Nos 45 and 237, K Flt and No 403 Flt  

It reformed at Biferno on 8 July 1944 as No 254 (Light Bomber) Wing under Balkan Air Force to control Nos 39, 213 and 13 RHAF Squadrons.   On 1 July 1945 it was transferred to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces and disbanded on 25 July 1945.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 
Dates Squadron Notes
 8 Jul 1944 Nos 39, 213 and 13 RHAF initial allocation
30 Aug 1944 Nos 25 SAAF and 13 RHAF reconstitued
7 Feb 1945 No 39 from No 283 Wing
1 May 1945 Nos 16 SAAF and 19 SAAF from No 283 Wing
16 May 1945 Nos 6, 213 and 249 from No 281 Wing
16 Jun 1945 No 30 joined
 1 Jul 1945 Nos 19 SAAF, 25 SAAF and 39 on transfer to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces

No 256 Wing

This was formed at Uxbridge on 23 Apr 1940 as No 256 (Air Information Signals) Wing  to control AMES (ground radar stations) in the Middle East.  It sailed from Southampton in the SS Strathmore on 28 April via Cherbourg and Marseilles, arriving on 8 May with the personnel disembarking to Amriya the following day and moving to Mex on 7 June 1940, where it officially formed.  By 25 July it was at Shafrakhana but disbanded on 23 December 1940 on being amalgamated with No 252 Wing.


No 257 Wing

This was formed at Shallufa on 20 December 1940 as No 257 (Heavy Bomber) Wing initially comprising Nos 37. 38, 70 and 216 Squadrons and operating advanced bases at Fuka and Daba).  On 1 March 1941 it  took over No 148 Squadron and on 14 April the Advanved HQ moved to Fuka Satellite.  It took over No 108 Squadron on 1 August but was redesignated No 205 Group on 23 October 1941.


No 258 Wing

The nucleus of this Wing assembled at No 108 MU Aboukir on 1 Jan 1941 as No 258 (Semi-mobile Advanced Fighter) Wing in No 202 Group comprising, initially, Nos 33, 73 and 274 Squadrons.  On 25 February it was placed under HQ RAF Cyrenaica and in July was reconstituted as No 258 (Fighter) Wing in No 204 Group (which became AHQ Western Desert on 9 October).  Its squadrons were transferred to No 262 Wing on 13 November and it was redesignated No 239 Wing on 1 March 1942.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
4 Jan 1941 Sollum
15 Feb 1941 Benghazi
by 14 Mar 1941 Sidi Mahmoud
26 Mar 1941 Advanced HQ at Benina
5 May 1941 Ma'aten Bagush
14 May 1941 Tobruk
1 Sep 1941 LG.102 Sidi Haneish
12 Nov 1941 LG.110 Sidi Barrani
18 Nov 1941 Maddalena (LGs 5 122,123,124,125 and 128)
12 Dec 1941 El Adem
Dec 1941 Msus
25 Dec 1941 Mechili
13 Jan 1942 Antelat
22 Jan 1942 Msus
24 Jan 1942 Mechili
3 Feb 1942 El Adem then to Gambut

 

Squadron Dates
No 6 Mar 1941
No 33 4 Jan 1941
No 73 4 Jan 1941 - Apr 1941
No 80 Nov 1941
No 94 11 Nov 1941 - 13 Nov 1941
No 112 13 Nov 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
No 238 Oct 1941 - 13 Nov 1941
No 250 13 Nov 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
No 274 4 Jan 1941 - Nov 1941, Nov 1941 - Mar 1942
No 1 SAAF 7 Sep 1941 - Nov 1941, xx xxx xxxx - 9 Mar 1942
No 2 SAAF 11 Nov 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
No 3 SAAF 7 Apr 1941 - Jan 1942
No 4 SAAF 13 Nov 1941 - xx xxx xxxx
RN Fighter Sqn 18 Aug 1941 - Dec 1941

It reformed at Diego Suarez on 16 November 1942 as No 258 (General Reconnaissance) Wing under AHQ East Africa to control No 265 Squadron and No 1433 Flt with No 1414 Flt being added by July 1943 and disbanded on 10 June 1945.


No 259 Wing

This was formed at an unknown location in or by April 1941 as No 259 (Medium Bomber) Wing in No 202 Group controlling units which included Nos 14 and 274 Squadrons.  By 1 June it was just east of the Libya/Egypt border in No 204 Group, after which its fate is unknown.

It reformed at No 102 MU Abu Sueir on 14 July 1941, initially as a mobile salvage unit, moving to Nicosia on 21 July under the control HQ RAF Trans-Jordan and Palestine.  By November it controlled Nos 213 and 815 RN Squadrons, being transferred to No 213 Group by October 1942 then on 15 December to No 209 Group before revert to AHQ Levant (the new name for RAF Trans-Jordan and Palestine) on 25 October 1943.  On 22 July 1944 it moved to Athalassa, where it disbanded on 30 November to become a detachment of RAF Station Nicosia.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

 
Squadron Dates
No 46 det 12 Aug 1943 - Sep 1943, 28 Jul 1944 - xx xxx xxxx
No 74 det Oct 1943 - Nov 1943
No 127 det 6 Jan 1943 - 22 Oct 1943
No 203 det Aug 1941
No 213 Nov 1941 - 27 Dec 1941
No 213 det Sep 1943 - 9 May 1944
No 227 16 Aug 1943 - 3 Dec 1943
No 252 Sep 1943 - 13 Dec 1943
No 261 det 2 - 8 Nov 1941, 27 Dec 1941 - 17 Feb 1942
No 294 det xx xxx xxxx - 13 Jan 1943, by Aug 1944
No 417 det 11 Dec 1942 - 6 Jan 1943
No 451 det Feb 1942 - 6 Jan 1943
No 603 Jul 1942 - 15 Dec 1942
No 680 det Dec 1943 - 11 Aug 1944
No 701 RN det 5 Nov 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 815 RN Aug 1941 - Nov 1941
No 815 RN det 24 - 27 Feb 1942(
No 9 SAAF det Aug 1944 - 9 Sep 1944
No 15 SAAF det 13 Jun 1944 - 18 Jun 1944
No 4l SAAF det 9 May 1944 - xx xxx xxxx, 9 Sep 1944 - 9 Oct 1944
65th FS USAAF 6 Aug 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 1565 Flt Jul 1943 - Oct 1944

No 260 Wing

This was formed at Cardington on 13 July 1941 as No 260 (Balloon) Wing for service in the Middle East.  It began the journey on 14 August embarking at Liverpool in HMS Strathnaver the following day to sail via Cape Town, anchoring in the Suez Roads on 4 October and arriving in Cairo on 5 October.  On 20 October it arrived at Ismailia in No 202 Group to take control of Nos 971-975 Squadrons and later Nos 976 and 977 Squadrons, taking over all Balloon Squadrons in Egypt on 25 October.  The task was later gradually taken over by the Royal Egyptian Air Force and he Wing disbanded on 15 January 1945.


No 261 Wing

This was formed on 5 Oct 1941 ex Medium Bomber Wing (formed 28 Aug 1941) as No 261 (Medium Bomber) Wing at Ma'aten Bagush with Nos 12, 21 and 24 Squadrons SAAF (Marylands(; Redesignated No 3 Wing, SAAF 13 Nov 1941.


No 262 Wing

This was formed at LG.12 Sidi Haneish North on 11 October 1941 as No 262 (Fighter) Wing under AHQ Western Desert.  On 13 November it took over the squadrons from No 258 Wing resulting in more units than normal being on strength and was redesignated No 239 Wing on 1 March 1942.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
12 Nov 1941 LG.111 near Sidi Barrani
20 Nov 1941 Maddalena
25 Nov 1941 LG.110 near Fuka
8 Dec 1941 LG.134 near Sollum
9 Dec 1941 Gabr Saleh
11 Dec 1941 El Adem
20 Dec 1941 Mechili
29 Dec 1941 Msus
31 Dec 1941 Antelat
Jan 1942 Tmimi
2 Feb 1942 El Adem
25 Feb 1942 Benghazi
Feb 1942 Mechili
Feb 1942 Gazala
Feb 1942 Gambut

 

Dates Squadron Notes
20 Nov 1941 Nos 1 SAAF, 2 SAAF, 3 SAAF, 4 SAAF, 80, 94, 112, 229, 238, 250, 260 274 and RN Fighter Sqn on strength

No 263 Wing

This was formed at Beirut on 6 October 1941 as No 263 (Defensive Fighter) Wing under HQ Palestine and Trans-Jordan to control 3 fighter squadrons and by November these were No 335 Squadron, a FFAF Morane Squadron (Groupe 'Alsace'?) and a Blenheim Squadron ('Nancy' Flight?).  On 15 December it was transferred to No 213 Group and in January 1942 included No 261 Squadron and No 74 OTU.  A detachment was sent to Tripoli on 14 January and on 10 April the Wing was reorganised so that by June its units included Nos 7 SAAF, 127 and 451 Squadrons.  On 5 July it moved to Ramleh, where it was reduced to cadre on 15 December, being replaced by No 209 Group. It was finally disbanded and replaced by No 210 Group on 1 May 1943.

It reformed at Kabrit on 15 January 1944 as No 263 (Light Bomber) Wing under HQ Air Defences, Eastern Mediterranean to control Nos 13 and 55 Squadrons but disbanded 15 March 1944.


No 264 Wing

This was formed at LG.12 Sidi Haneish North on 24 October 1941 as No 264 (Fighter) Wing to control Nos 30, 33 and 805 RN Squadrons to provide protect to shipping and lines of communication, but was redesignated No 269 Wing on 31 October 1941.


No 265 Wing

This was formed at LG.16 Fuka Satellite on 24 October 1941 as No 265 (Medium Bomber) Wing under AHQ Western Desert to control Nos 14, 45, 55, 84 and Lorraine Squadrons but was redesignated No 232 Wing on 3 December 1941.


No 266 Wing

This was formed in the UK in late 1941 as No 266 (Fighter) Wing for service in the Middle East and by December the Wing HQ together with Nos 17, 232 and 242 Hurricane squadrons were en route to Egypt.  They were expected to arrive in Durban on 8 January 1942 on their way to Suez but the situation in Singapore resulted in them being diverted direct to Singapore, although No 242 Squadron was sent direct to Palembang.  In February the Wing was in Sumatra and Java under No 226 Group, but it is presumed to have been lost in Far East and was officially disbanded at Mingaladon with effect from 28 March 1942.


No 267 Wing

This was formed at Durban, South Africa on 18 December 1941, where it was loaded in a convoy. However, the situation in the Far East resulted in it being diverted to Singapore with 51 aircraft together with pilots and ground staff for one squadron being transhipped to Singapore. The Wing HQ and ground staff for the remaining three squadrons were sent to Bombay where they were to be placed at the disposal of the C-in-C India.  In order to equip the squadrons in India the Athene was ordered to proceed from Gibraltar to Takoradi, where it was to embark 40 Hurricanes, then proceed to Port Sudan for a further 40 and deliver them to Bombay, but in the event the ship was ordered to proceed direct to Bombay after embarking the 40 Hurricanes at Takoradi.

It officially formed at Calcutta on 22 March 1942 as No 267 (Fighter) Wing, possibly with Nos  17, 135, 136 and 258 Squadrons and possibly to be allocated to No 226 Group but it officially disbanded at Mingaladon with effect from 28 March 1942.


No 268 Wing

This was formed at El Firdan on 1 December 1941 as No 268 (Fighter) Wing but was redesignated No 273 Wing on 3 December 1941.


No 269 Wing

This was formed at Sidi Haneish North (LG.12) on 31 October 1941 by redesignating No 264 Wing as No 269 (Fighter) Wing under AHQ Western Desert to control Nos 30 and 229 Squadrons (Hurricanes), 805 RN Squadron (Hurricanes and Martlets) and the RN Fulmar Flight but was redesignated No 234 Wing on 5 December 1941.


No 270 Wing

This was formed at Fuka Satellite (LG.16) on 27 October 1941 as No 270 (Light Bomber) Wing with Nos 14, 45, 55 and 84 Squadrons and Groupe 'Lorraine' (all equipped with Blenheims) as well as detachments of Nos 8 and 11 Squadrons.  On 18 December 1941 it moved to Gambut and the following day to LG.75 Mischiefa, where it was absorbed into No 235 Wing on 20 January 1942 with four of its squadrons being sent to India.


No 271 Wing

This was promulgated to form on 30 November 1941 as No 271 (Bomber) Wing at Shallufa with Nos 37 and 38 Squadrons but formed as No 231 Wing instead.


No 272 Wing

This was formed on 3 December 1941 by redesignating No 265 Wing as No 272 (Light Bomber) Wing at El Firdan but was redesignated No 232 Wing on 10 December 1941.


No 273 Wing

This was formed at El Firdan on 3 December 1941 by redesignating No 268 Wing as No 273 (Fighter) Wing but was redesignated No 233 Wing on 10 December 1941.

It reformed on 10 July 1945 but no further details, possibly in India.


No 274 Wing

This was formed at Hook, Surrey on 28 January 1942 as No 274 (Balloon) Wing, embarking in HMT Dominion Monarch at Liverpool on 20 March.  On 7 May 1942 it arrived in Bombay and after crossing India by train arrived in Calcutta three days later, where it joined No 224 Group.  It was transferred to No 221 Group on 10 December and disbanded on 25 May 1943.


No 275 Wing

This was formed at Chessington on 23 April 1942 as No 275 (Balloon) Wing, embarking at Glasgow in HMT J/11 on 7 May 1942.  On 17 July it arrived at No 27 PTC Basrah to join Paiforce and on 22 July was at Abadan with Nos 980-983 Squadrons for the protection of shipping in the Abadan and Persian Gulf area.  It moved to No 28 PTC Hadera on 31 January 1943 then began moving again on 22 March, arriving at  No 23 PTC Helwan on 2 April, its subsequent movements being shown in the table below.   It was placed under Northwest African Coastal Air Force on 28 June 1943 then to Northwest African Air Force on 15 September and disbanded on 1 December 1943.

Date Location
8 Apr 1943 Castel Benito
15 Apr 1943 Goubrine
22 Apr 1943 Monastir
5 May 1943 Hergla
20 May 1943 Sorman West
3 Jul 1943 in transit
8 Jul 1943 Tindja (Bizerte)
12 Oct 1943 No 1 BPD Algiers

No 276 Wing

This was formed at Suez Road. Heliopolis on 1 August 1942 as No 274 (Signals) Wing to control Special Signals Units in Middle East Command.  On 25 November 1943 it was transferred to Northwest African Air Force, to RAF Middle East on 1 December, to No 214 Group, Northwest African Air Forces on 24 December, then to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces on 1 February 1945 and disbanded 31 August 1945.

Date Location
15 Nov 1942 Aleppo
24 Dec 1943 Conversano, near Ban (Rear HQ remained at Heliopolis until at least 1 Jan 1944)
by 15 Jul 1944 detachment Grosseto
9 Sep 1944 No 1 Det at Piombino, No 2 Det  to Jesi - Ancona
16 Oct 1944 No 1 Det  at Cecina
20 Nov 1944 No 1 Det to Pisa
24 Dec 1944 No 1 Det to San Lorenzo
10 Dec 1944 No 3 Det to Miramas
18 Feb 1945 No 1 Det to Monte Conero, No 2 Det to Monte Senario
3 Jul 1945 No 1 Det disbanded at Cecina, No 3 Det disbanded at Miramas

No 280 Wing

This was formed at Calcutta in or by 1943 as No 280 (Signals) Wing and was redesignated No 180 Wing on 9 June 1943.

It reformed at Vancouver on 1 December 1944 as No 280 (Transport?) Wing in No 45 Group and disbanded at San Diego on 8 January 1946.


No 281 Wing

Arrived in Middle East Command 10 Apr 1942, but probably never embodied there.

This was formed at Canne on 16 June 1944 in Balkan Air Force as No 281 (Fighter) Wing.  On 1 July 1945 it was transferred to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces and disbanded on 30 September 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
29 Jan 1945 det to Ban
7 Feb 1945 det to Zadar
18 Feb 1945 deft to Prkos
9 Apr 1945 Prkos
30 Apr 1945 Zara
16 May 1945 Brindisi

 

Dates Squadron Notes
16 Jun 1944 Nos 6, 73, 253 and 351 Initial allocation
9 Aug 1944 No 352 joined
16 Apr 1945 No 249 from No 283 Wing
1 May 1945 No 213 from No 283 Wing
16 May 1945 Nos 6, 213 and 249 to No 254 Wing on withdrawal from Yugoslavia
15 Jun 1945 Nos 351 and 352 to Yugoslav Air Force
27 Aug 1945 No 253 left
3 Jul 1945 No 73 left

No 282 Wing

This was formed at Heliopolis on 1 February 1944 as No 282 (Transport) Wing in No 205 Group to control the reinforcement route east of Castel Benito to Lydda and south to Luxor.  The units assigned to it included No 216 Squadrons, No 1 (ME) Conversion and Check Unit and Nos 1 and 2 Aircraft Delivery Units, taking over No 44 SAAF Squadron on 12 March and No 78 Squadron on 20 September 1945.  On 11 December 1945 No 44 SAAF Squadron left the Wing, which disbanded into No 219 Group on 1 June 1946.


No 283 Wing

This was formed at Asmara on 5 June 1942 as No 283 (Air Transport) Wing in No 216 Group and by 27 October was in Eritrea but it disbanded on 10 January 1943 when RAF Asmara was reformed.

It reformed at Khartoum on 10 May 1943 as No 283 (Maintenance) Group on the disbandment of No 203 Group and disbanded on 31 May 1944.

It reformed at Bari on 16 June 1944 as No 283 (Fighter) Wing in Balkan Air Force comprising No 227 Squadron as well as Nos 16, 19 and 25 SAAF Squadrons.  On 8 July it moved to Laverno, then to Biferno on 30 August, where it was re-organised with Nos 39, 213 and 249 Squadrons together with Nos 16 and 19 SAAF Squadrons.  No 39 Squadron was transferred to No 254 Wing on 7 February 1945 with No 249 Squadron going to No 281 Wing on 16 April and the Wing disbanded on 1 May 1945.

It reformed again on 1 February 1946, this time at Beit Daras, Palestine, as No 283 (Airborne Forces) Wing in No 216 Group to take over Nos 620 and 644 Squadrons, No 44 Heavy Glider Servicing Unit and Nos 8 and 9 Mobile Parachute Servicing Units from No 38 Group.  On 1 August it was transferred to the control of AHQ Levant and on 1 September 1946 Nos 620 and 644 Squadrons were rdesignated Nos 113 and 47 Squadrons respectively.  It moved to Haifa on 17 January 1947 but then relocated to the UK, arriving at Fairford on 14 April, where it disbanded on 14 August 1947.


No 284 Wing

This was formed at Algiers on 15 August 1943 as No 284 (Transport) Wing in No 216 Group.  On 30 September it moved to Le Hamiz, near Maison Blanche, where it remained until 14 December 1945 when it moved to Krendi, where it disbanded into AHQ Malta on 1 June 1946.


No 285 Wing

This was formed at LG.28 Burg el Arab on 7 August 1942 by redesignating No 240 Wing as No 285 (Reconnaissance) Wing (later Strategic Reconnaissance) under the control of Desert Air Force.  In April 1943 it was transferred to No 211 Group, DAF and on 30 August 1945 from Desert Air Force to RAF Middle East, disbanding on 30 September 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
5 Nov 1942 El Imayid
7 Nov 1942 LG.104 El Daba
9 Nov 1942 Mersa Matruh:
12 Nov 1942 LG.5 Sidi Barrani
14 Nov 1942 LG.156 Gambut
20 Nov 1942 Tmimi No 2
2 Dec 1942 Benina
11 Dec 1942 Agedabia West:
23 Dec 1942 Marble Arch
11 Jan 1943 Tamet West
21 Jan 1943 Darragh Main
26 Jan 1943 Castel Benito
14 Mar 1943 Senem
17 Apr 1943 El Diem
23 Apr 1943 Monastir
21 May 1943 Sorman West
17 Jul 1943 Sabratha
1 Sep 1943 San Francesco
7 Sep 1943 Milazzo East:
15 Sep 1943 Ardore Marina
16 Sep 1943 Montaurol
17 Sep 1943 Isola II
25 Sep 1943 Scanzano
29 Sep 1943 Palazzo
6 Oct 1943 Foggia Main
17 Oct 1943 Town Hall, Foggia
21 Dec 1943 Trigno
4 Jun 1944 Aquino
11 Jun 1944 Osa
15 Jun 1944 Falerium
22 Jun 1944 Orvieto
5 Jul 1944 Castiglione
1 Aug 1944 Malignano
23 Aug 1944 Chiaravalle
31 Aug 1944 Piagiolino
17 Sep 1944 Cassandra
27 Sep 1944 Rimini
7 Nov 1944 Bellaria
4 Dec 1944 Forli
1 May 1945 La Russia
6 May 1945 Treviso
10 May 1945 Udine
2 Sep 1945 Petah Tiqva

 

Dates Squadron Notes
 7 Aug 1942 Nos 208, 40 SAAF, 60 SAAF, No 2 PRU det and No 1437 Flt allocated on formation
Apr/May 1943 No 73 left
22 Aug 1943 No 225 joined
 1 Sep 1943 No 60 SAAF left
1 May 1944 No 318 joined
23 Aug 1944 No 225 left
28 Sep 1944 No 225 rejoined
10 May 1945 No 40 SAAF left
11 Aug 1945 Nos 225 and 318 left
by  2 Sep 1945 No 12 SAAF joined
3 Sep 1945 No 6 joined
27 Sep 1945 No 32 joined
27 Sep 1945 No 6 left

It reformed at Ein Shemer on 1 February 1947 as No 285 (Mobile Fighter) Wing under AHQ Levant, comprising Nos 32, 208 and 213 Squadrons.  On 21 April it moved to Nicosia and disbanded on 10 June 1947, its commitment being transferred to No 324 Wing.


No 286 Wing

It assembled at Hammanlif on 14 August 1943 as No 286 (Fighter) Wing in No 242 Group, moving on 28 August to La Sebala, where it take over the sector from No 323 Wing.  At this point it controlled Nos 32, 73, 87, 219 and 253 Squadrons, a detachment of No 283 Squadron, the 415th FS USAAF, 81st Fighter Group USAAF (91st, 92nd and 93rd Squadrons) and No 2/5 Lafayette Squadron FFAF.   On 14 September it embarked at Bizerte, arriving in Taranto on 17 September, moving to Grottaglie on 26 October (leaving a satellite at Taranto), where it now included Nos 1 SAAF, 2 SAAF, 4 SAAF and 126 Squadrons, with the Taranto satellite being redesignated No 337 Wing on 15 November.  By February 1944 its units included Nos 14, 126, 185, 221, 249, 255, 608 and 1435 Squadrons: and by September Nos 14, 221, 255 and 1435 Squadrons.  It disbanded on 26 May 1945.

Wing Leaders:  -

xx Jun 1944                 Wg Cdr J Freeborn


No 287 Wing

This was formed at Hammanlif on 1 September 1943 as 'Y' Fighter Sector.  On 11 September it took over the duties of No 1 Air Defence Wing, the operational control of Tunis Sector, in Northwest African Air Force as No 287 (Fighter) Wing in Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces at Goubrine.  On  14 September 1944 it was transferred to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Force and disbanded on 14 July 1945. The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.

Date Location
9 Sep 1943 La Sebala
11 Sep 1943 Goubrine
14 Oct 1943 Ain Seymour (Bizerte)
8 Dec 1943 Sidi Amor
1 Jul 1944 Satt party to Vasto
20 Jul 1944 Fermio
11 Aug 1944 Falconara

 

Dates Squadron Notes
11 Sep 1943 Nos 32, 87, 219, 253, 283det, No 1/4 Lafayette Sqn FFAF and 81st FG USAAF (91st. 92nd and 93rd Squadrons) initial allocation
Feb 1944 now mostly controlled US units  
14 Feb 1942 346th FS USAAF replaced 93rd FS
by Mar 1944 No 153 joined
29 Jul 1944 No 241 from No 285 Wing
by Aug 1944 US units

Nos 6, 15 SAAF, 73 det, 87 det, 145, 185, 241, 255, 318, 417 and 454

left

joined

24 Aug 1944 No 241 to No 285 Wing
25 Aug 1944 No 600 joined
14 Sep 1944 No 458 det joined
by Dec 1944 Nos 6, 73 det, 87 det, 145, 185, 255, 318, 417 and 454

Nos 15 SAAF, 237, 256, 458 det and 600

left

joined or still in place

15 Dec 1944 No 600 left
26 Jan 1945 No 458 det left
27 Jan 1945 No 272 det joined
18 Apr 1945 No 272 det left
22 Apr 1945 No 38 from No 323 Wing

Nos 288 and 289 Wings

According to the SD.155 dated 23 November 1943, these were due to form in Mediterranean Air Command but this does not appear to have taken place.


No 292 Wing

This was planned to form on 26 January 1942 as No 292 (Fighter) Wing in No 241 Group, probably with Nos 122, 141 and 154 Squadrons but it does not appear to have become operational and its parent Group disbanded on 16 July 1942.


No 293 Wing

This was planned to form on 6 January 1942 as No 292 (Fighter) Wing in No 241 Group, probably with Nos 79. 607 and 615 Squadrons but it does not appear to have become operational and its parent Group disbanded on 16 July 1942.

This was formed at Alipore on 1 October 1942 as No 293 (Defensive Fighter) Wing in No 224 Group to control all fighter units providing the air defence of Calcutta.  On 10 December 1942 it was transferred to No 221 Group, moving to La Martiniere School, Calcutta on 14 March 1943, to Belvedere House, Alipore: on 16 December then back to La Martiniere School on 27 December.  Operational control was transferred to No 224 Group on 17 January 1944 but administrative control went to No 231 Group and it disbanded to form RAF Baigachi on 30 September 1944.  The table below shows the units assigned to it.

Squadron Dates
No 5 1 Oct 1942 - 3 Oct 1942, 13 Aug 1943 - xx xxx xxxx
No 17 1 Oct 1942 - 29 May 1943
No 28 3 Jun 1943 - 25 Oct 1943
No 34 det 19 Oct 1943 - 1 Nov 1943
No 67 1 Oct 1942 - 25 Mar 1943, 30 Nov 1943 - 5 Jul 1944
No 79 13 Aug 1943 - 7 Dec 1943
No 81 5 Dec 1943 - 5 Jan 1944
No 136 10 Dec 1943 - 27 Dec 1942, 22 Jun 1943 - 1 Dec 1943
No 136 det 7 - 10 Dec 1943
No 146 1 Oct 1942 - 9 Apr 1943, xx xxx xxxx - 1 May 1943, 30 Nov 1943 - 25 Feb 1944
No 152 8 Dec 1943 - 21 Feb 1944
No 155 20 Jun 1943 - xx xxx xxxx, 6 Jan 1944 - 11 Aug 1944
No 176 14 Jan 1943 - 14 Aug 1944
No 258 14 Jan 1943 - 16 Feb 1943
No 261 14 Jan 1943 - 22 Jun 1943, 27 Feb 1944 - 29 Apr 1944
No 607 1 Apr 1943 - 26 Nov 1943, 5 Jul 1944
No 615 3 May 1943 - 23 Oct 1943, 10 Aug 1944 - 30 Sep 1944
No 3 IAF? 27 Nov 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
No 4 IAF 5 - 27 Jun 1944
No 10 IAF 6 - 24 Jul 1944
No 1300 Flt 1 Jul 1943 - 30 Sep 1944
No 1581 Flt 1 Oct 1943 - Apr 1944
 No 75 ASP  1 Oct 1942 - xx xxx xxxx
 No 101 RSU;  1 Oct 1942 - xx xxx xxxx

Officers Commanding

xx Oct 1942            Wg Cdr J A O'Neill

xx Nov 1942           Gp Capt A D Farquher

xx Feb 1943            Gp Capt D N Roberts

xx xxx 1943             Wg Cdr H S Darley (Temp)

xx xxx 1943             Gp Capt J L F Fuller - Good

xx Mar 1944            Wg Cdr R F Boyd

Wing Commanders - Flying:  -

xx Apr 1944            Wg Cdr F B Sutton

19 Jul 1944              Wg Cdr A N Johnstone


No 294 Wing

This was planned to form on 6 January 1942 as No 294 (Army Co-operation) Wing under No 241 Group in Far East with Nos 225 and 239 Squadrons but these plans were cancelled on 19 January 1942.


No 295 Wing

This was formed at Marine Camp, Bathurst on 1 March 1942 by redesignating RAF Gambia as No 295 (General Reconnaissance) Wing under AHQ West Africa to control the flying boat squadrons in West Africa.  Initially this comprised Nos 200 and 204 Squadrons but a detachment of  No 95 was added  in October, with the whole of the squadron joining the Wing on 7 March 1943 and on 24 April a detachment of No 202 Squadron was added.  On 1 May 1943 it moved to Dakar, Senegal, taking over Nos 343 and 344 Squadrons on 29 November and by August 1944 also controlled Nos 1 and 3 FFAF Flights and 1S Aeronavale.  It relocated to Yundum on 21 September, leaving a detachment at  Dakar and disbanded on 1 August 1945.  The tables below show its various locations and the units assigned to it.


No 296 Wing

This was formed at Wilberforce, Freetown, Sierra Leone on 17 February 1942 as No 296 (Signals) Wing to control AMES in West Africa Command and disbanded on 1 August 1945.


No 297 Wing

This was formed at Freetown, Sierra Leone on 7 October 1942 as No 297 (General Reconnaissance) Wing to control GR units in Sierra Leone, which included Nos 95, 200. 204 and 220 Squadrons as well as No 1562 Flt at various times and disbanded on 15 February 1943.


No 298 Wing

This was formed at lgbobi College. 4 miles North of Lagos, Nigeria on 19 September 1942.  On 8 January 1944 it moved to Ikeja, West Africa and controlled Nos 26 SAAF, 270 and 490 Squadrons, Nos 1560 and 1561 Met Flights and the FFAF D'Artois Group.  It moved to Takoradi on 11 May 1945 and disbanded on 1 June 1945.


This page was last updated on 16/12/17

         [Top of Page]