Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Balloon Units


This section covers units involved with Balloons and ballooning excluding training units which have been included in the section covering ground training units.

No 1 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 1 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Sliema and redesignated RAF Central Depot and Balloon Base, Malta on 16 July 1919.

No 2 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 2 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Alexandria and disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 3 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 3 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Brindisi and disbanded on 1 January 1919.

No 4 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 4 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Corfu and disbanded on 1 January 1919.

No 5 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 5 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Gibraltar and disbanded on 25 February 1919.

No 6 Balloon Base

This was formed from No 6 Kite Balloon Base (RN) on 15 April 1918  at Bizerta and disbanded on 14 July 1919.

No 7 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Lowestoft and disbanded on 14 October 1918.

No 8 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Immingham and disbanded on 30 March 1919.

No 9 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Milford Haven and disbanded on 30 December 1918.

No 10 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918 at Tyne but did not become operational.

No 11 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918 at Methil, Fife but did not become operational.

It eventually formed in February 1919 as a  at Imbos, moving to Mudros on 1 May 1919 and then to Haidar Pasha on 20 August 1919, where it disbanded on 31 December 1919.

No 12 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Shotley and disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 13 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Rathmullan and disbanded on 12 March 1919.

No 14 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Hythe under the control of No 5 Group and disbanded on 15 May 1919.

No 15 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Tipnor and disbanded on 16 October 1919.

No 16 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Merifield, Tor Point and disbanded in No 2 (Plymouth) Wing at Cattewater on 12 September 1919.

No 17 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Berehaven, Northern Ireland, later being transferred to the US Navy.  It returned to RAF control, reverting to its original title on 4 February 1919 and disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 18 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at North Queensferry and disbanded on 1 December 1919.

No 19 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Houton Bay and disbanded on 15 April 1919.

No 20 Balloon Base/Balloon Training Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Caldale, Kirkwall and disbanded on 15 September 1919.

No 21 Balloon Base

This was formed from the RN Kite Balloon Station on 15 April 1918  at Grimsta, Lerwick and disbanded on 15 April 1919.

No 22 Balloon Base

The formation of this unit was authorised on 15 July 1918 at Port Said and it disbanded on 30 June 1919.

No 23 Balloon Base

The formation of this unit was authorised on 15 July 1918 at Milo and it disbanded on in November 1918.

No 24 Balloon Base

The formation of this unit was authorised on 15 July 1918 at Genoa and it disbanded on in October 1918.

No 25 Balloon Base

This was formed from HMS Canning on 7 October 1918 and disbanded on 25 November 1919.

RAF Balloon Centre

This was formed from the School of Balloon Training on 3 November 1931 under the control of No 22 Group at Rollestone Camp, Larkhill.  On 1 April 1935 it was split into a Kite Balloon Section and a Barrage Balloon Section being redesignated No 2 Balloon Training Unit on 1 November 1936.

No 1 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 16 May 1938 under the control of No 30 Group at Kidbrooke, London SE3.  Initially it controlled Nos 901, 902 and 903 Squadrons but on 12 May 1941 Nos 902 and 903 were amalgamated into No 902/3 Squadron.  After being damaged by a V-1 it moved to Chessington on 28 July 1944 and disbanded on 31 March 1945.

No 2 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 4 August 1938 under the control of No 30 Group at Hook, Surrey, controlling Nos 904 and 905 Squadrons and disbanded on 4 October 1941.

No 3 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 15 December 1938 under the control of No 30 Group at Stanmore, Middlesex.  Initially it controlled Nos 906 and 907 Squadrons but by 12 May 1941 it was home to No 904/5 and 906 and was redesignated Balloon Wing on 15 March 1945.

No 4 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 4 August 1938 under the control of No 31 Group at Chigwell, Essex.  initially controlling Nos 908, 909 and 910 Squadrons but by 12 May 1941 it was home to No 907/8 and 909/10 Squadrons and disbanded on 31 May 1943.

No 5 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 8 June 1939 under the control of No 31 Group at 885 Tyburn Road, Erdlington, Birmingham 24.  controlling Nos 911, 912 and 913 Squadrons.  It moved to Whitehouse Common, Sutton Coldfield on 16 March 1939 and disbanded on 13 June 1942.

No 6 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 13 March 1939 under the control of No 31 Group at 54 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham 13, controlling Nos 914, 915, 916 and 917 Squadrons.  It moved to 37 Thorpe Street, Hurst Street, Birmingham on 1 June 1939 and then to Wythall, Birmingham on 8 June.  It was placed in Care and Maintenance on 1 February 1944 and disbanded on 2 January 1945.

No 7 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 29 May 1939 under the control of No 31 Group at Carrington Street, Midland Road, Derby, with No 918 Squadron, moving to Curzon Lane, Alvaston, Derby on 15 June 1939 and disbanded on 1 June 1941.

No 8 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 9 June 1939 under the control of No 31 Group at 40 Hope Street, Liverpool, controlling Nos 919, 920 and 921 Squadrons.  It moved to Lime Tree Farm, Fazakerley, Liverpool on 22 June 1939, where it was transferred to No 33 Group in 1940 and disbanded on 7 September 1943.

No 9 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 17 January 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at the Town Hall, King Street, Warrington, controlling Nos 922 and 923 Squadrons.  It moved to Houghton Green, Warrington on 26 June 1939 and disbanded on 12 November 1942.

No 10 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 July 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at The Old Grammar School, Long Millgate, Manchester, controlling Nos 924, 925 and 926 Squadrons.  It moved to Bowlee, Middleton, Manchester on 29 August 1939.  It was placed in Care and Maintenance on 26 April 1944 and transferred to No 26 Group on 5 September 1944.

No 11 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 15 May 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at Victoria Street, Bristol, controlling Nos 927, 928 and 929 Squadrons.  It moved to Pucklechurch, Bristol on 17 August 1939 and disbanded on 20 April 1945.

No 12 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 5 June 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at 10 Merton Road, Portsmouth, controlling Nos 930, 931, 932 and 933 Squadrons, it moved to Southampton Road, Titchfield, Fareham on 14 June 1939.  It was transferred to No 30 Group on 10 November 1941, then to No 32 Group on 12 July 1944 and disbanded on 15 April 1945.

No 13 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 30 May 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at Beaumont House, Penlee Way, Devonport, with No 934 Squadron, moving to Collaton Cross, Yealmpton near Plymouth on 3 August 1939 and disbanded on 31 August 1945.

No 14 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 July 1939 under the control of No 32 Group at Caerau, Ely, Cardiff, with No 935 Squadron.  It was transferred to No 31 Group on 8 September 1940 but reverted to No 32 Group on 13 January 1941 and disbanded on 6 December 1943.

No 15 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 5 June 1939 under the control of No 33 Group at 44 Newbridge Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, controlling Nos 936, 937 and 938 Squadrons.  Moving to Long Benton, Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 15 August 1939 being transferred to No 30 Group on 4 September 1944 and disbanded on 1 March 1945.

No 16 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 June 1939 under the control of No 33 Group at 641 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield, controlling Nos 939, 940 and 941 Squadrons.  It moved to Bridge Street, Sheffield on 19 June 1939 before going to Hemsworth Road, Norton, Sheffield on 2 September.  It took over No 942/3 Squadron from No 17 BC on 4 April 1942 and disbanded on 18 October 1943.

No 17 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 12 June 1939 under the control of No 33 Group at Wycliffe Hall, Campbell Street, Anlaby Road, Kingston-upon-Hull, controlling Nos 942, 943 and 944 Squadrons.  It moved to Sutton-on-Hull on 28 August 1939 before going to Norton House, Norton, Sheffield on 30 June 1940 but returned to Sutton-on-Hull on 27 July and disbanded on 4 April 1942.

No 18 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 October 1939 under the control of No 33 Group at 178 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, moving to Cadder, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow on 6 November 1939.  On 7 April 1940 it was transferred to No 34 Group with Nos 945, 946 and 947 Squadrons, which were joined by Nos 928 and 948 Squadrons from No 19 BC on 21 April and disbanded on 5 October 1942.

No 19 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 21 October 1939 under the control of No 33 Group at Park Road School, Garden City, Rosyth, Dunfermline, with Nos 929 and 948 Squadrons.  It was transferred to No 34 Group on 7 April 1940 and disbanded on 6 May 1940.

No 20 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 26 August 1940 under the control of No 34 Group at Lyness, Orkneys with Nos 950 and 960 Squadrons and disbanded on 1 December 1941.

No 21 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 27 August 1940 under the control of No 31 Group at Corston, near Pembroke with Nos 962 and 963 Squadrons and disbanded on 10 October 1942.

No 22 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 33 Group at No 10 Balloon Centre, Bowlee to control units involved in Operation 'Crossbow', moving to Biggin Hill in No 30 Group on 19 February 1944.  It was transferred to HQ Balloon Command on 1 September and disbanded on 20 November 1944.

No 23 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 33 Group at No 10 Balloon Centre, Bowlee to control units involved in Operation 'Crossbow', moving to Gravesend in No 30 Group on 16 February 1944.  It was transferred to HQ Balloon Command on 1 September, vacating Gravesend on 15 December and disbanded on 15 January 1945.

No 24 Balloon Centre

This was formed on 14 July 1944 under the control of No 30 Group at Redhill, moving to Fairlop on 3 September and disbanded on 15 April 1945

No 1 Port/Beach Balloon Detachment

This was probably formed on 23 May 1943 at Augusta, moving to the Syracuse area on 27 July, Bari on 26 September, Tripoli on 1 November before returning to  Bari on 1 December, after which its fate is unknown.

No 2 Port/Beach Balloon Detachment

This was probably formed on 23 May 1943 at El Firdan, moving to the Syracuse area by 13 July, Agusta on 27 July, Messina on 26 September, Catania in October and then to Tripoli by 1 November, after which its fate is unknown.

No 3 Beach Balloon Detachment/Party

This was formed on 23 May 1943 at El Firdan, moving to Pachino on 27 July, then to Malta on 11 August and disbanded at No 39 PTC near Tripoli on 1 September 1943.

No 4 Beach Balloon Detachment/Party

This was formed from personnel of No 977 Squadron on 23 May 1943 at Benghazi.  Four days later it was in transit arriving near Zavia on 31 May before setting off again on 18 June to No 38 PTC, embarking for Malta the following day.  It arrived at Marsa on the island on 21 June, moving to Syracuse on 21 July, Catania on 21 August andReggio on 4 September, where it was absorbed into 'K' Port Balloon Detachment on 7 September 1943.

No 5 Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed on 9 August 1943 at Tripoli and disbanded on 21 November 1943.

No 6 Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed on 22 August 1943 at Tripoli, embarking in LCI-144 on 6 September arring at Salerno two days later.  Further moves followed to Castellamare on 30 September, Torre Annunciata on 21 October, Naples on 21 October, wher it embarked in a LST arriving in Bizerte on 13 November, then to Tripoli on 17 November and disbanded on 21 November 1943.

No 7 (Middle East) Balloon Detachment

This was formed in 1943 at No 22 PTC, Almaza but its fate is unknown.

'A' Beach Balloon Detachment/Party

This was formed around 1 July 1943 under the control of Desert Air Force in the Tunis Concentration Area, moving to Scoglitti by 13 July then to Brindisi by 1 December, after which its fate is unknown.

'B' Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed around 1 July 1943 under the control of Desert Air Force in the Tunis Concentration Area, moving to Scoglitti by 13 July then to Tindja by 1 December, after which its fate is unknown.

'C' Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed around 1 July 1943 under the control of Desert Air Force in the Tunis Concentration Area, moving to Sicily by July then to Tindja by 1 December, after which its fate is unknown.

'D' Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed around 1 July 1943 under the control of Desert Air Force in the Tunis Concentration Area, moving to Sicily by July, after which its fate is unknown.

'E' Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed around 1 July 1943 under the control of Desert Air Force at Sousse, moving to Sicily by July then to Reggio by 1 November, after which its fate is unknown.

'F' Beach Balloon Detachment/Unit

This was formed on 27 July 1943 at Tripoli until at least 1 December, after which its fate is unknown.

'K' (later K4) Beach Balloon Detachment

This was formed on 15 August 1943 at Catania, moving to Reggio on 4 September, where  it absorbed No 4 Beach Balloon Detachment, becoming K4 Port Balloon Detachment.  It moved to Messina on 21 November 1943 and disbanded on 21 November 1943.

'L' Port Balloon Detachment

This was formed on 27 July 1943 in the Augusta area, moving to the Institute Agrario, Siciciliano, Aldi Savota, Catania by 11 August, then to Bari on 26 September, where it  disbanded in late 1943.

No 50 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 50 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, joining No 976 'B' Squadron on 14 April.  It moved to Waterlooville on 28 April then moved to the continent at Ouistreham on 26 June, becoming a mobile Port Balloon Flight on 1 November. Further moves followed to Melbroek on 5 December, Malsele by 19 December and to Zwijndrecht by 2 January before returning to the UK, where it and disbanded at Great Sampford on 6 June 1945.

No 51 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 51 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, joining No 974 'B' Squadron on 14 April.  It moved to Petworth on 28 April then moved to the continent at Courcelles on 23 June but presumably returned to Wythall with No 974 Squadron, where it disbanded on 16 October 1944.

No 51 'B' Balloon Flight

It reformed as No 51 Port Balloon Flight on 4 November 1944 under the control of No 974 Squadron at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded in December 1944.

No 52 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 52 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, joining No 974 'B' Squadron on 14 April.  It moved to the continent at Courcelles on 26 June but returned to Wythall with No 974 Squadron disbanded on 16 October 1944.

No 52 'B' Balloon Flight

It reformed as No 52 Port Balloon Flight on 4 November 1944 under the control of No 974 Squadron at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded in December 1944.

No 53 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 53 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 976 Squadron at No 6 BC, Wythall.  It moved to the continent at Ouistreham on 26 June, becoming a mobile Port Balloon Flight on 1 Novemmber.  Further moves followed to Melbroek by 5 December, Melsele by 19 December and to Zwijndrecht by 2 Januaury 1945, befoire returning to the UK, where it and disbanded at Great Sampford on 6 June 1945.

No 54 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 54 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, joining No 980 'B' Squadron on 14 April.  It presumably moved to the continent with 980 but returned to Wythall on 9 October, wher it disbanded on 16 October 1944.

No 55 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 55 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, joining No 980 'B' Squadron on 14 April.  It presumably moved to the continent with 980 but returned to Wythall on 9 October, wher it and disbanded on 16 October 1944.

No 56 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed from No 56 'B' Balloon Unit on 6 April 1944 administered by No 974 Squadron at No 6 BC, Wythall, being transferred to 2nd TAF, still under No 991 Squadron on 26 April.  It moved to the continent at Arromanches on 14 June and by 5 December was in Antwerp, where it disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 57 'B' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, being transferred to 2nd TAF, under No 991 Squadron on 26 April.  It moved to the continent at Arromanches on 14 June and by 5 December was in Antwerp, where it and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 101 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 January 1944 moving toWaterlooville by 28 April but was back at Wythll by 24 November.  However by 5 December it had moved to the continent at Lille, where it, parented by No 992 Squadron disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 102 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at Cardington, being transferred to No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 992 Squadron on 10 February.  By 28 April it had moved to Petworth, being allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May but was back at Wythll by 24 November.  However by 5 December it had moved to the continent at Lille, where it No 992 Squadron and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 103 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 993 Squadron but became independent on 26 April.  On 10 May it was allocated to 2nd TAF, being transferred to No 85 Group on 4 September, moving to Shenstone on 1 October.  On 1 November it joined No No 998 Port Balloon Squadron, moving to Silver Street, Wythall on 18 November, beginning the move to the continent on 29 November.  It arrived at Hemixen on 2 December and disbanded in 1945.

No 104 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at Cardington, and being transferred to No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 993 Squadron on 10 February.  On 20 April it had moved to Titchfield, being allocated to 2nd TAF on 26 April.  It moved to the continent via Old Sarum on on 8 June) arriving at Commes, near Port-en-Bassin on 14 August.  Transferred to No 85 Group on 4 September it became part of No 998 Port Balloon Squadron on 1 November, moving to Verviers in No 159 Wing on the same day.On 20 November it moved to The Munition Factory, Ghent and on 2 December wastransferred to No 874 Squadron and mved to Hemixe, where it, parented by No 993 Squadron disbanded on in 1945.

It reformed on an unknown date at an unknown location, although a detachment was formed at Luneburg on 1 February 1949, after which and its fate is unknown on 0 January 1900.

No 105 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 994 Squadron.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May, moving to Dillywood Lane, Higham near Rochester on 29 July but disbanded on 28 August 1944.

No 106 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 994 Squadron.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May, moving to Dillywood Lane, Higham near Rochester on 29 July.  By January 1949 it had moved to Luneburg with detachments at Celle and Hanover.  It moved to Celle on 1 February 1949, absorbing the detachments and disbanded in June 1949.

No 107 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 995 Squadron and disbanded on 4 May 1944.

No 108 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 995 Squadron, becoming independent on 26 April and being allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May.  It moved to Portmadoc on 6 July, to Wythall on 11 July, Getton's Farm, Cliffe near Rochester on 29 July and then to Senneleys Park, Northfield, Birmingham on 29 August.  On 1 November it became part of No 999 Port Balloon Squadron, returning to Wythall on 2 December, where it was transferred to Balloon Wing on 7 February 1945 and disbanded on 22 February 1945.

No 109 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 996 Squadron, being allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May.  It moved to Rochester and Cobham Park Golf Club, Rochester on 29 July, to Wythall on 28 August and then to the continent, arriving at Les Etangs, Kapelshe Strade, Kapelen on 5 December, where it disbanded on 15 December 1944.

It reformed on an unknown date at an unknown location and disbanded in BAFO on 15 November 1947.

No 110 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 996 Squadron, being allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May.  It moved to Rochester and Cobham Park Golf Club, Rochester on 29 July, to Wythall on 28 August and then to the continent, arriving at Les Etangs, Kapelshe Strade, Kapelen on 5 December, where it disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 111 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, parented by No 997 Squadron, moving to Weymouth on 26 April, RAF Gravesend on 29 July before returning to Wythall on 28 August.  It moved to the continent, arriving at Doel on 5 December, where it disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 112 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 997 Squadron, moving to Poole on 26 April, RAF Gravesend on 29 July before returning to Wythall on 28 August.  It moved to the continent, arriving at Doel on 5 December, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

It reformed on an unknown date at Lubeck and disbanded on 1 September 1948.

No 113 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 997 Squadron, moving to Portland on 26 April.  It left No 997 Squadron on 12 July and by 7 November was back at Wythall, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall disbanded on in December 1944.

No 114 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 998 Squadron, moving to Newhaven on 26 April.  It moved to Cliffe Rectory, Cliffe, Rochester on 29 July and then back at Wythall on 1 September, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded on 1 November 1944.

No 115 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 998 Squadron, moving to Shoreham on 26 April.  It moved to Cliffe Rectory, Cliffe, Rochester on 29 July and then back at Wythall on 1 September, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded on 1 November 1944.

No 116 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 997 Squadron, moving to Torquay on 15 April, to Gadshill, Higham, Rochester on 29 July then to Highters Heath Lane, Maypole, Birmingham, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

No 117 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 997 Squadron, moving to Brixham on 15 April, back to Wythall on 14 July, to Gadshill, Higham, Rochester on 29 July then to Highters Heath Lane, Maypole, Birmingham, where it at No 6 BC, Wythall and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

No 118 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, moving to Handsworth Wood Road, Birmingham on 19 February, to Fowey on 17 April, where it became independent on 12 July.  Two days later it was back at Wythall and probably disbanded on 1 August 1944.

No 119 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, moving to Handsworth Wood Road, Birmingham on 19 February, to Lepe near Calshot on 9 April but disbanded on 12 July 1944.

No 120 'P' Balloon Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at No 6 BC, Wythall, moving to 104 Blakesley Road, Yardley, Birmingham on 20 April, where it became indepent on 26 April.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May, moving to Gatten's Farm, Cliffe, Rochesteron 29 July before returning to 104 Blakesley Road on 30 August.  On 5 October it moved to Shenstone near Lichfield, returning to 104 Blakesley Road on 5 November, wher eit became part of No 999 Port Balloon Squadron.  It was transferred to Balloon Wing on 7 February 1945 and disbanded on 22 February 1945.

No 1 Balloon Squadron

This was formed on 9 July 1916 under the control of No 7 Balloon Wing at Longbridge Farm, Barking and disbanded on 20 May 1919.

No 2 Balloon Squadron

This was formed on in December 1917 under the control of No 7 Balloon Wing at "Bon Avie", Broomhill Walk, Woodford Green and disbanded on 9 July 1919.

No 3 Balloon Squadron

This was formed on 6 March 1918 under the control of No 7 Balloon Wing at Wood Lodge, Shooters Hill, London SE18 and disbanded on 8 July 1919.

No 1 'Petard' Mobile Balloon Squadron

This was initially formed as "North" Squadron on 15 February 1942 at No 4 BC, Chigwell to undertake the release of free balloons in an attempt to combat minelaying aircraft over the Thames Estuary from Friston to Southend and disbanded on 29 October 1942.

No 2 'Petard' Mobile Balloon Squadron

This was initially formed as "South" Squadron on 15 February 1942 at No 1 BC, Kidbrooke to undertake the release of free balloons in an attempt to combat minelaying aircraft over the Thames Estuary from Herne Bay to Minster and disbanded on 29 October 1942.

No 901 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 901 (County of London) on 16 May 1938 at No 1 BC, Kidbrooke and by 1944 was located  in Abbey Wood, London SE2, moving to 12 Champion Hill, Denmark Hill SE5 by 5 September and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 902 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 902 (County of London) on 16 May 1938 at No 1 BC, Kidbrooke until at least October 1938 being at Abbey Wood, London SE2 on 12 May 1942 when it amalgamated with No 903 Squadron to form No 902/903, which then moved to 12 Champion Hill, Denmark Hill SE5 by 31 August 1942, where it disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 903 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 903 (County of London) on 16 May 1938 at No 1 BC, Kidbrooke but was transferred to No 2 BC on 23 March 1940.  It moved to to 12 Champion Hill, Denmark Hill SE on 2 December 1940, where it it amalgamated with No 902 Squadron to form No 902/903 Squadron on 12 May 1942, back under No 1 BC and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 904 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 904 (County of Surrey) on 16 May 1938 at No 2 BC, Hook until at least October.  On 12 May 1942 it was at Windmill Common, Clapham Common, London SW and was transferred to No 1 BC, being amalgamated with No 905 Squadron to form No 904/905 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 905 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 905 (County of Surrey) on 16 May 1938 at No 2 BC, Hook until at least October.  On 12 May 1942 it was at Windmill Common, Clapham Common, London SW and was transferred to No 1 BC, being amalgamated with No 904 Squadron to form No 904/905 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 906 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 906 (County of Middlesex) on 16 May 1938 at No 3 BC, Stanmore, moving to 8 Hampstead Hill Gardens, Hampstead on 18 December 1939.  By 12 May 1942 it was at 11 Kensngton Palace Gardens, London W8 under No 1 BC and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 907 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 907 (County of Middlesex) on 16 May 1938 at No 3 BC, Stanmore, moving to Haringay on 1 September 1939.  By 12 May 1942 it was at 32 Woodbury Down, London N4 under No 4 BC, where it amalgamated with No 908 Squadron to form No 907/908 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 908 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 908 (County of Essex) on 16 May 1938 at No 4 BC, Chigwell until at least October.  By 12 May 1942 it was at 32 Woodbury Down, London N4, where it amalgamated with No 907 Squadron to form No 907/908 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 909 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 909 (County of Essex) on 16 May 1938 at No 4 BC, Chigwell until at least October.  It later moved to Upton Lane, London E9 and by 31 July 1941 was at The Cedars, Portway, West Ham, London E15.  By 12 May 1942 it was at Vicarage Lane, East Ham, London E6, where it amalgamated with No 910 Squadron to form No 909/910 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 910 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 910 (County of Essex) on 16 May 1938 at No 4 BC, Chigwell with a detachment at Dagenham.  By 12 May 1942 it was at Vicarage Lane, East Ham, London E6, where it amalgamated with No 910 Squadron to form No 909/910 Squadron and disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No 911 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 911 (County of Warwick) on 25 January 1939 at No 5 BC, Erdington, Birmingham (later Sutton Coldfield).  It was transferred to No 6 BC on 13 June 1942 and by 1943 it was at 'Springfield', 182 Birmingham Road, West Bromwich, being amalgamated with No 913 Squadron on 31 May 1943 to form No 911/913 Squadron and disbanded on 15 February 1944.

It reformed from No 933 Squadron as No 911/913/915 Squadron on 1 February 1944 at the Priory, Writtle near Chelmsford and disbanded on 3 September 1944.

It reformed again  from No 916/923 Squadron as No 911/923 Squadron on 5 September 1944 under the control of No 15 BC at Scorton and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 912 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 912 (County of Warwick) on 25 January 1939 at No 5 BC, Erdington, Birmingham, later Sutton Coldfield.  O13 February 1940 it crossed to Dunkirk from Dover and was at Boulogne under No 1 (Barrage Balloon) Wing the following day.  It returned to the UK at Cardington on 27 May, becoming a mobile unit and moving to Southampton on 11 June, then returning to Cardington via Hook on 16 June.  On 26 June it moved to Hillcret, Ermine, Brockworth (under No 11 BC), presumably to provide defene to the Gloster Aircraft works, ceasing to be mobile on 2 July and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

No 913 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 913 (County of Warwick) on 1 March 1939 at No 5 BC, Erdington, Birmingham (later Sutton Coldfield).  It was transferred to No 6 BC on 13 June 1942 at Grange Road, Erdington, Birmingham, being amalgamated with No 913 Squadron on 31 May 1943 to form No 911/913 Squadron but it is also shown as disbanding on 25 March 1943.

No 914 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 914 (County of Warwick) on 25 January 1939 at New Street, Birmingham, moving to No 6 BC when it opened on 13 March, moving to Groveley Hall, Northfield, Birmingham on 9 September.  Crossing to France it arrived at Le Havre on 19 May 1940 and three days later was at Bernay then moved on to Nantes.  It left no 1 (Balloon Barrage) Wing on 27 May, arriving in Southampton on 2 June it moved to Cardington but was back at Wythall by 7 August.  On 8 September 1942 it was at Forhill House, King's Norton, Birmingham, where it amalgamated with No 915 Squadron to form No 914/915 Squadron and disbanded on 18 November 1944.

No 915 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 915 (County of Warwick) on 1 March 1939 at 54 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham, which became No 6 BC on 13 March, moving to Wythall on 8 June.  On 8 September 1942 it was at Forhill House, King's Norton, Birmingham, where it amalgamated with No 914 Squadron to form No 914/915 Squadron and disbanded on 1 February 1944.

No 916 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 916 (County of Warwick) on 1 March 1939 at 54 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham, which became No 6 BC on 13 March, moving to Wythall on 8 June.  On 3 September 1939 it moved to The Birches, Tamworth Road, Coventry, amalgamating with No 917 Squadron on 24 August 1942 to form No 916/917 Squadron, which was at Keresley Grange, Coventry by 1 June 1943 and disbanded on 1 February 1944.

It reformed from No 919/923 Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of  at 102 Shrewsbury Road, Oxton, Birkenhead and was redesignated No 911/923 Squadron on 5 September 1944.

No 917 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 917 (County of Warwick) on 13 February 1939 at 23 Hertford Street, Coventry, coming under the control of No 6 BC when it formed, then moving to 32/33 Cow Lane, Coventry on 4 May, where it amalgamated with No 916 Squadron to form No 916/917 Squadron on 24 August 1942.

No 918 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 918 (County of Warwick) on 25 January 1939 at Carrington Street, Midland Road, Derby (later moving to No 7 BC at Alvaston).  It was transferred to the direct control of No 33 Group on 1 June 1941 but was under Nop 16 BC from 28 June, later moving to Highfield House, Broadway, Derby and disbanded on 5 April 1944.

No 919 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 919 (West Lancashire) on 25 January 1939 at 29 Paradise Street, Liverpool, coming under the control of No 8 BC when it formed.  It amalgamated with No 923 Squadron to form No 919/923 Squadron in 1942 and was redesignated No 916/923 at Birkenhead on 1 February 1944.

No 920 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 920 (West Lancashire) on 1 March 1939 at 29 Paradise Street, Liverpool, coming under the control of No 8 BC when it formed.  It moved to Kyle of Lochalsh on 5 May 1940 but was relocated to Londonderry on 1 October, where it disbanded on 7 June 1943.

No 921 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 921 (West Lancashire) on 1 March 1939 at 29 Paradise Street, Liverpool, coming under the control of No 8 BC when it formed, moving there on 22 July 1939 disbanded on 13 June 1944.

No 922 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 922 (West Lancashire) on 25 January 1939 at No 9 BC, Warrington.  On 11 August 1942 it was amalgamated with No 923 Squadron to form No 922/923 Squadron, the combined unit being transferred to No 8 BC on 18 August and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 923 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 923 (West Lancashire) on 1 March 1939 under the control of No 9 BC at No 9 BC, Warrington.  On 11 August 1942 it was amalgamated with No 922 Squadron to form No 922/923 Squadron, the combined unit being transferred to No 8 BC on 18 August and disbanded on 17 August 1944.

No 924 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 924 (East Lancashire) on 13 February 1939 at The Old Grammar School, Manchester, coming under No 10 BC when it was formed.  On 19 February 1940 it arrived in Le Havre via Southampton, coming under No 1 (Balloon Barrage) Wing but was withdrawn on 11 June following the Germany invasion, arriving at Cardington the following day.  On 29 June it moved to the Old Rectory, North Stoneham Park, Eastleigh under No 12 BC before going to Hook on 10 November 1941, where it merged into No 924/930 Squadron on 1 July 1942 and disbanded on 22 November 1944.

No 925 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 925 (East Lancashire) on 13 February 1939 at The Old Grammar School, Manchester, coming under No 10 BC when it was formed but merged into No 925/926 Squadron on 18 May 1940.

It reformed as No 935/926 Squadron on 1 February 1944 at No 10 BC, becoming non-operational on 19 July, by which time it was at No 23 BC.  It moved to Zeals under No 11 BC on 1 October and disbanded on 14 April 1945.

No 926 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 926 (East Lancashire) on 13 February 1939 at The Old Grammar School, Manchester, coming under No 10 BC when it was formed.  It merged into No 925/926 Squadron on 18 May 1940, moving to Prestwich by 5 December 1942 and disbanded on 14 April 1945.

No 927 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 927 (County of Gloucester) on 6 February 1939 at 57 Victoria Street, Bristol, coming under No 11 BC when it formed.  On 14 January 1942 it moved to Avonmouth absorbing No 951 Squadron, later merging with No 935 to form No 927/935 Squadron at The Drinagh, Sneyd Park, Stoke Bishop, Bristol and disbanded on 15 September 1944.

No 928 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 928 (County of Gloucester) on 6 February 1939 at 57 Victoria Street, Bristol, coming under No 11 BC when it formed.  On 24 November it moved to Felixstowe under No 30 Group and disbanded on 1 December 1944.

No 929 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 929 (County of Gloucester) on 6 February 1939 at 57 Victoria Street, Bristol, coming under No 11 BC when it formed.  On 24 November it moved to Rosyth, under No 19 BC but was transferred to no 18 BC on 21 April 1941.  It moved to South Queensferry on 13 August but was in Newcastle-upon-Tyne by 2 August 1944 before returning to Scotland by 11 August at Forth, Lanark, later returning to South Queensferry, where it disbanded on 20 November 1944.

No 930 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 930 (Hampshire) on 6 February 1939 at "Houghton", Bassett Avenue, Southampton, coming under No 12 BC when it was formed.  It absorbed No 931 Squadron on 31 March 1940, then merged into No 924/930 Squadron on 1 July 1942 and disbanded on 20 November 1944.

No 931 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 931 (Hampshire) on 6 February 1939 at "Houghton", Bassett Avenue, Southampton, coming under No 12 BC when it was formed and disbanded by being absorbed by No 930 Squadron on 31 March 1940.

It reformed on 18 February 1941 at Cardington, moving to Sale, Cheshire on 12 July 1941 and disbanded on 5 July 1942.

No 932 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 932 (Hampshire) on 28 February 1939 at Commercial Chambers, 1/13 Commercial Road, Portsmouth, moving to No 12 BC when it formed, where it merged into No 932/933 Squadron and disbanded on 6 September 1943.

No 933 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 933 (Hampshire) on 13 February 1939 at Commercial Chambers, 1/13 Commercial Road, Portsmouth, moving to No 12 BC when it formed and disbanded by being merged into No 932/933 Squadron on 6 September 1943.

No 934 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 934 (County of Devon) on 8 March 1939 at Beaumont House, Penlee Way, Devonport, moving to and coming under No 13 BC when it formed.  It moved to 1 Wingfield Villas, Stoke, Plymouth on 2 December 1940, later moving to Crown Hill, Plymouth.  By 15 June 1943 it was operating 'W' Flight at RAF Mount Batten and the squadron disbanded on 22 November 1944.

No 935 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 935 (County of Gloucester) on 31 January 1939 at Windsor Slipways, Cardiff, coming under and moving to No 14 BC when it formed.  On 1 June 1940 it moved to Winterbourne, Bristol, under No 11 BC, where it later merged into No 927/935 Squadron and disbanded on 15 September 1944.

No 936 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 936 (County of Northumberland) on 20 February 1939 at 44 Newbridge Street, Newcastle upon-Tyne, coming under No 14 BC when it formed and moving with it.  However, on 31v August 1942 it moved to Melbury Road, Jesmond Park, Newcastle, where itabsorbed No 937 Squadron to form No 936/937 Squadron on 4 June 1943 and disbanded on 1 December 1944.

No 937 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 937 (County of Northumberland) on 20 February 1939 at 45 Newbridge Street, Newcastle upon-Tyne, coming under No 14 BC when it formed and moving with it.  It later moved to Low Fell, Gateshead, where it was absorbed into No 936/937 Squadron and disbanded on 4 June 1943.

No 938 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 938 (County of Northumberland) on 20 February 1939 at 46 Newbridge Street, Newcastle upon-Tyne, coming under No 14 BC when it formed and moving with it.  By 1941 it was at Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees, moving to Billingham in January 1942 and disbanded on 1 December 1944.

No 939 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 939 (West Riding) on 25 January 1939 at Hemsworth Road, Norton, Sheffield, coming under No 16 BC when it formed.  On 31 August 1942 it moved to 11 Broomsgrove Road, Sheffield having merged into No 939/940 Squadron and by 28 April 1943 was at Riccall but was back at No 16 BC by 5 August 1944.  However it is also shown as reforming at Sunderland as No 939/941 on 13 April 1944, presumably disbanding before 5 September.

It reformed from No 942/943 Squadron as No 939/943 Squadron on 5 September 1944 at Sutton-upon-Hull and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 940 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 940 (West Riding) on 1 March 1939 at 641 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield, coming under No 16 BC when it formed and moving with it. At some point it moved to Rotherham but by 31 August 1942 it had moved to 11 Broomsgrove Road, Sheffield having merged into No 939/940 Squadron and disbanded on 31 May 1944.

No 941 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 941 (West Riding) on 1 March 1939 at 641 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield, coming under No 16 BC when it formed and moving with it, however it disbanded on 25 April 1940 with its equipment and personnel being used to expand Nos 939 and 940 Squadrons.

It reformed from  on 26 May 1943 at 20 Thornhill Gardens, Sunderland and was redesignated No 939/941 Squadron on 13 April 1944.

No 942 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 942 (East Riding) on 25 January 1939 at Wycliffe Hall, Campbell Street, Kingston-upon-Hull, coming under No 17 BC when it formed and moving with it, however it disbanded at the Hull & East Riding School, Anlaby Road, Hull on 11 August 1941.

It reformed as No 942/943 Squadron on 1 January 1942 at Newland House, Beverley House, Kingston-upon-Hull but reverted to being No 942 Squadron in September.  It moved to No 17 BC at Sutton-on-Hull on 9 October being redesignated No 942/943 Squadron in March 1943 and No 939/943 Squadron on 5 September 1944, which disbanded on 5 December 1944.

No 943 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 943 (East Riding) on 25 January 1939 at Sutton-on-Hull, later moving to Newland House, Beverley Roas, where it merged into No 942/943 Squadron on 1 January 1942.

No 944 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 944 (East Riding) on 25 January 1939 at Sutton-on-Hull (No 17 BC from 28 August) but disbanded on 25 April 1940 with its equipment and personnel being used to expand Nos 942 and 943 Squadrons.

It reformed on 15 October 1940 under the control of No 17 BC at No 17 BC before moving to the Abbey Park Hotel, Abbey Road, Grimsby.  It was transferred to No 16 BC on 4 April 1942 and disbanded into No 942/943 Squadron on 26 April 1942.

It again reformed in 1944 at an unknown location and disbanded, with its personnel going to No 950 Squadron on 1 September 1944.

No 945 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 945 (City of Glasgow) on 12 February 1939 at 178 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, coming under No 17 BC when it formed and later moving to Easter Cross Hill, Galsgow.  On 7 April 1940 it was transferred to No 34 Group, later moving to Bishopbriggs until 28 July 1942 when it moved to 10875 Great Western Road, Glasgow, where it disbanded into No 945/947 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

It reformed as 945/947 Squadron on 1 February 1944 at Glasgow, later moving to No 22 BC where it became non-operational.  It moved to Great Sampford on 27 September under No 24 BC and was at Fairlop by 3 January 1945, where it disbanded on 4 April 1945.

No 946 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 946 (City of Glasgow) on 1 March 1939 at 178 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, coming under No 17 BC when it formed and later moving to Easter Cross Hill, Galsgow.  On 7 April 1940 it was transferred to No 34 Group, later moving to Renfrew.  By 31 August 1942 it was at Burnside, Rutherglen having merged into No 946/947 Squadron and disbanded on 15 August 1944.

No 947 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as part of the Auxiliary Air Force as No 947 (City of Glasgow) on 1 March 1939 at 179 Bothwell Street, Glasgow, coming under No 17 BC when it formed and later moving to Easter Cross Hill, Galsgow.  On 7 April 1940 it was transferred to No 34 Group, later moving to Bishopbriggs.  By 31 August 1942 it was at Burnside, Rutherglen having merged  having merged into No 946/947 Squadron but was redesignated No 945/947 Squadron on 1 February 1944 and disbanded on 15 August 1944.

No 948 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 22 September 1939 at Rosyth (becoming No 19 BC on 1 October), before moving to Inverkeithing on 21 October.  It came under the control of No 34 Group on 7 April 1940, through 19 BC but on 21 April 1941 was transferred to No 18 BC at Bishopbriggs and disbanded at Rosyth on 1 May 1942.

No 949 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 4 October 1939 under the control of No 9 BC at Gresty Lodge, Crewe.  It was transferred to No 10 BC on 4 April 1942 but by 11 August 1944 was non-operational at No 23 BC, Gravesend.  Moving to Zeals on 1 October under No 11 BC, it disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 950 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 January 1940 under the control of No 18 BC at Bishopbriggs, moving to Lynees Orkney under No 20 BC on 19 February 1940 and was reorganised (?) on 26 August 1940.

On 1 December 1941 it absorbed No 960 Squadron at Scapa but at some point was transferred to No 24 BC control as it was transferred from there to Redhill under No 23 BC on 27 August 1944 and disbanded on 15 September 1944.

It reformed, again, from personnel on No No 944 Squadron on 1 September 1944 at Lyness, Orkneys fort anti-Diver operations but was non-operational at Scorton on 2 October and disbanded on 7 December 1944.

No 951 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 December 1939 under the control of No 11 BC at Avonmouth and was absorbed into No 927 Squadron on 19 June 1944.  However, it is supposed to have also been reformed on 1 Febrauary 1944 by redesignating No 1 Mobile Balloon Flight at Norwich

It reformed from  on 19 June 1944 under the control of No 24 BC at Weybridge.  On 1 August itt was non-operational at Biggin Hill under No 22 BC but had relocated to a unknown location under No 24 BC on 27 September.  It moved to Great Sampfordon 15 February 1945, the following month being transferred to the Ballon Wing and disbanded on 5 September 1945.

No 952 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 1 December 1939 under the control of No 1 BC at 67 Marine Parade, Sheerness, later moving to Mile Town School, Denmark Road in the town and disbanded on 30 December 1944.

No 953 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 7 March 1940 under the control of No 14 BC at Llandaff, Cardiff with a detachment at Barry.  On 31 January 1944 it absorbed No 969 Squadron, later moving to Biggin Hill for anti-Diver operations, wher it was placed in Care and Maintenance on 17 June.  By 28 August it was at Westerham, Chessington by 2 October but on 331 October was moved to  No 12 BC at Titchfield, where it disbanded on 4 April 1945.

No 954 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 22 January 1940 under the control of No 31 Group at Birmingham (No 5 BC) but disbanded into Nos 911 and 913 Squadrons on 18 May 1940.

It reformed on 12 September 1940 at Cardington, moving to No 2 BC, Hook on 18 September.  It moved to 'Huntspill', St Georges Avenue, Weybridge on 28 September and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

No 955 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 22 January 1940 under the control of No 10 BC at Manchester and disbanded on 18 May 1940.

It reformed as a mobile squadron on 22 January 1941 at Cardington, but became a non-mobile unit on 18 February, moving to Banwell, near Weston-super-Mare at the same time and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

No 956 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 25 April 1940 at Cardington, moving to Deal on 29 April but on 2 June its HQ and 'A' Flight returned to Cardington as a mobile reserve and 'B' Flight was transferred to No 935 Squadron.  On 29 June it moved to Cottesbrook House, Bath Road, Colnbrook, Langley, under No 3 BC/No 30 Group, presumably to provide protection to the Hawker factory there, finally disbanding on 18 September 1944.

No 957 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from 'A' Mobile Balloon Squadron on 1 February 1940 at Cardington and disbanded on 4 June 1940.

It reformed as a mobile squadron on 1 July 1940 at Cardington, moving to Bragg Church House, Hendford Hill, Yeovil (No 11 BC), presumably to provide protection to the Westland factory in the town and disbanded on 18 September 1944.

No 958 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a mobile squadron on 1 July 1940 at Cardington, moving to Green Willows, Sketty Park, Swansea under No 14 BC, from where it operated a destchment at Port Talbot.  In 1944 it was moved to take part in anti-Diver operations, after which it was placed in Care and Maintenance on 17 June and by 2 August was non-operational at No 22 BC, Biggin Hill.  On 27 September 1944 it was at an unknown location under No 24 BC later returning to Swansea, where it disbanded on 1 April 1945.

No 959 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a mobile squadron on 26 July 1940 at Cardington, moving tgo Gwendra Hotel, Marine Drive, Falmouth under No 13 BC on 14 August, at the same  time ceasing to be mobile and disbanded on 11 September 1944.

No 960 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 26 August 1940 under the control of No 20 BC at Lyness, Orkneys but was absorbed into No 950 Squadron and disbanded on 8 December 1941.

It reformed from No 994 Squadron on 1 February 1944 at Berkley House, Boughton Hill, Dunkirk, Canterbury moving to Sunderland by 1 August but had returned to Canterbury by 11 August and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

No 961 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from No 992 Squadron on 5 August 1940 under the control of No 30 Group at 22 Marine Parade, Dover, later moving to Firth Road in the town and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 962 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 18 August 1940 under the control of No 21 BC at Birmingham, moving to Milford Haven on 26 August, but then on toGarton House, Pembroke the same day and later to Defensible Barracks, Pembroke Dock, where it disbanded on 11 April 1942.

No 963 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 18 August 1940 under the control of No 21 BC at Birmingham, moving to Atlantic Club, Milford Haven on 26 August, before moving to Cardington on 24 November, where it ceased to be mobile.  It was then moved to Oak Street, Accrington under No 10 BC on 28 December and disbanded on 4 September 1943.

No 964 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 18 August 1940 under the control of No 13 BC at Antony, Tor Point, Plymouth and disbanded in 1944.

No 965 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 August 1940 under the control of No 14 BC at St Theodore's Vicarage, Port Talbot and disbanded in January 1943.

It reformed from personnel of Nos 944, 998 and 999 Squadrons on 1 September 1944 at Cardington as 'LZ' Balloon Squadron.  In November an advance party arrived at The Munitions Factory, Chaussee d'Oudenarde, Ghent.  On 12 December it was placed under No 85 Group as No 965 (Waterborne) Squadron and by 19 December was at Terneuzen.  It returned to the UK at Fairlop and disbanded on 3 June 1945.

No 966 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 16 August 1940 under the control of No 16 BC at Sheffield, moving to Fields Park Road, Newport, Monmouth under No 14 BC on 27 August.  In 1944 it was moved to undertake anti-Diver operations as it was placed in Care and Maintenance as non-operational on 17 June 1944 at No 23 BC.  By 13 September it was back in Newport but moved to Zeals under No 11 BC on 1 October and disbanded on 7 December 1944.

No 967 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 16 August 1940 under the control of No 18 BC at Glasgow, moving to Seafield Towers, Ardeer, Adrossan on 28 August and disbanded on 24 April 1942.

It reformed as a 'LZ' Balloon Squadron on 1 November 1944 at Cardington.  In November an advance party arrived at The Munitions Factory, Chaussee d'Oudenarde, Ghent.  On 12 December it was placed under No 85 Group and by 19 December was at Kloosterzande.  It returned to the UK via Ostende on 1 June and disbanded at Fairlop.

No 968 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 1 September 1940 under the control of No 18 BC at Glasgow, moving to Ardeer, Adrossan on 16 August, then on to Oakleigh House, Ormeau Park, Ravenhill Road Belfast on 11 September.  It was reorganised on 15 June 1942 and disbanded on 31 July 1943.

No 969 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 16 August 1940 under the control of No 14 BC at Cardiff, moving to Bryneitnen, Dinas Powis, near Barry on 16 August and disbanded on 5 January 1942.

It reformed on an unknown date at Barry Docks and disbanded into No 953 Squadron on 31 January 1944.

No 969 (Balloon) Squadron

It again reformed from No 992 Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of  at Great Yarmouth with a detachment at Lowestoft and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

No 970 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 18 September 1940 at Cardington, but this was suspended on 23 September.  It was reactivated as a mobile unit on 15 October, being sent overseas until at least January 1941 after which and its fate is unknown.

It reformed as a mobile squadron on 6 January 1941 under the control of  at Cardington, moving to Abbey Road, Barrow-in-Furness on 1 July 1941 and disbanded on 1 July 1942.

It again reformed as a 'LZ' Balloon Squadron on 14 July 1944 under the control of No 24 BC at Redhill to undertake anti-Diver operations.  It was transferred to No 22 BC on 27 August, moving to Marden Park and Norbright Army Camps, near Octed on 2 October.  On 14 Febrauary 1945 it moved to Fairlop, being transferred to Balloon Wing around 15 March and disbanded on 31 August 1945.

No 971 (VLA Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 October 1940 at Cardington for service in the Middle East.  It was formally transferred to Middle East Command on 31 October, sailing for Alexandria on 2 November and disembarking at Mamudiyeh Quay, Alexandria on 25 December.  On 4 Ooctober 1941 it was at Alexandrai, under the control of No 260 Wing and at various times operated detachments t Aboukir, Tobruk and Beirut, finally being disbanded on 15 September 1944.

No 972 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 28 January 1941 at Cardington for service in the Middle East.  It sail to Malta on 6 February 1941, arriving in March.  Moving to Egypt, it was at Shallufa on 19 May, El Kantara on 11 July, then to Ismailia on 4 October, where it joined No 260 Wing before moving to Haifa on 17 December.  Following the invasion of Sicily it moved to the Syracuse area on 11 August 1943, to Messina on 14 September and then on to Italy, being at Crotone by November.  It moved to Cerignola on 10 December, Foggia on 5 January 1944, from where it detached 'A' Flight to Ortona, 'B' Flight to Manfredonia and 'C' Flight to Grottaglie and disbanded on 27 April 1944.

No 973 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed in 1941 at Cardington for service in Crete but the German invasion prevented this and it arrived in the Canal Zone on 9 May.  By 1 July it was at Port Said under the control of No 260 Wing, moving to Kasfareet on 11 July and then to El Kantara on 17 December.  For 1942 sources seem to differ, one source stating that it left for Crete on 6 February, arriving at Suda Bay the same month, but Crete was still under German occupation so this seems unlikely.  This source then states it moved to Tripoli on 20 March 1942, going on to Beirut in April.  However, the SD161s in mid 1942 do not show the squadron at any location and it doesn't appear in the SD161 until some time between July 1942 and January 1943, when it is shown in Beirut.  It moved to Haifa on 7 August, to Tobruk in May 1944 before returning to Beirut on 20 May but had moved to Haifa by the time it disbanded on 15 November 1944.

No 974 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 1 April 1941 at Cardington for service in the Canal Zone.  By 1 July 1941 it was at Kantara, moving to Kasfareet on 11 July, then to Suez by 4 October as part of No 260 Wing.  It had moved to the Casino in Port Tewfik by 16 March 1942, Shallufa by 3 April, Suez South Canal by 17 July and to a location near the Geneifa Canal Station by 31 August, where it disbanded on 31 January 1944.

It reformed on 14 April 1944 at Wythall, being transferrd to 2nd TAF on 20 April and by 9 May was at Netley Common, Southampton.  Crossing the Channel it was near Courcelles on 26 June but returned to No 6 BC on 9 October, where it disbanded on 16 October 1944.

It again reformed on 1 November 1944 at Wythall for service under No 84 Group but on 9 November was transferred to No 85 Group.  On 25 November it was transferred to No 159 Wing, being located at St Nicholas, moving to Hemixen on 2 December, where it disbanded on 12 December 1944.

It reformed yet again, as No 974 (Port Balloon) Squadron on 12 December 1944 under the control of  at Chateaux de Hemixen, Hemixen.  From 13 March 1945 'A' Flight was attached to 1st US Army at Remagen and Godesbur, with 'B' Flight being attached to IXth US Army at Wallach from 20 March.  With the end of the war it returned to the UK via Ostende and and disbanded at Great Sampford on 6 June 1945.

No 975 (Balloon) Squadron

It reformed as a Port Balloon squadron on 15 July 1941 under the control of  at Cardington, departing for its port of embarkation on 14 August.  It sailed the following day aboard the HMT Strathnaver as part of No 260 Wing, arriving at Port Said North Canal on 4 October, remaining until at least December 1942.  Having moved to Ismailia at some point after this it went to No 24 PTC at Aboukir on 28 July 1943 in preparation for a move to Sicily.  It arrived in the Syracuse area on 11 August but moved across to Italy following the landings and arrived at Bari on 26 September.  With 'B' Flight remaining at Bari, it detached 'A' Flight to Grottaglia, later Mola and 'C' Flight to Barletta as well as sending a detachment to Manfredonia.  It disbanded on 1 November 1944.

No 976 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 21 August 1941 under the control of  at No 1 PDC, West Kirby, embarking for the Middle East on 25 September.  It arrived at Suez on 5 December, sending detachments to Kabrit, Kasfareet and at locations along the Suez Canal.  By 9 March 1943 it was at Tripoli, embarking for a return to the UK on 27 January 1944 but it disbanded on 1 February 1944.

It reformed from Nos 50 and 53 'B' Balloon Flights on 14 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, being transferred to 2nd TAF on 20 April, moving to Rosecroft, Hambledon on 9 May.  Following D-Day, it moved to the continent, arriving at Lion sur Mere, Ouisreham on 26 June, then on to L'Hermitage, Hermaville on 6 July.  It a mobile Port Balloon squadron on 1 November, moving to 250 Chausse des Fronchiennes, Ghent on 7 November, to Melsele on 29 November and finally to Melsbroek on 9 December, where it disbanded on 12 December 1944.

It again reformed again on 12 December 1944 at Melsele, moving to Zwundrecht on 15 December.  From 27 March 'B' Flight was attached to 2nd Army at Rees and following VE-Day it returned to the UK, where it disbanded at Great Sampford on 6 June 1945.

No 977 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 1 October 1941 at Hook, Surrey for service in the Middle East.  It arrived at Suez on 1 February 1942, moving to Ismailia the following day, with 'B' Flight being detached to El Ballah and 'C' Flight to Ferry Point by 3 March but the unit moved to Kantara in March.  On 7 December the HQ and 'A' Flight moved to Benghazi with 'B' Flight going to Derna and 'C' Flight to Tobruk.  It was transferred from Middle East Command to NWAAFon 10 July 1943 and by 31 July was at La Goulette prior to moving across to Sicily.  It arrived on the island at Cassible in August or September, before moving to Mondello on 3 September, Palermo on 14 September and Milazzo on 30 September.  It moved to the Italian mainland at Naples in November but by 13 December it had returned to North Africa, before going back to Naples on 30 December, where it  disbanded on 11 September 1944.

No 978 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 1 December 1941 at Hook, Surrey for service in the Middle East but by April 1942 it was in Calcutta as part of No 274 Wing (from May 1943).  It formed a 'Rover' Flight on 27 July, which was in Jessore in 1944.  It was transferred to AHQ Bengal on 25 March 1943 and by 1944 was part of No 293 Wing in Calcutta, where it disbanded on 5 February 1945.

No 979 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 8 December 1941 at No 5 PDC, Padgate for service in the Middle East but by April 1942 it was in Calcutta as part of No 274 Wing (from May 1943).  It probably formed a 'Rover' Flight on 27 July and by 1944 was part of No 293 Wing, Calcutta, having moved to Jamshedpur by 10 January 1944.  In September it moved to Coconada until at least 1 October but was back at Jamshedpur by 19 November and disbanded in Calcutta on 31 December 1944.

No 980 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 16 February 1942 at Hook, Surrey for service in Rangoon, departing the UK on 26 March 1942.  Too late for service in Malaya it was diverted to Persia, arriving at Khosrowbad, near Abadan on 28 July, being placed in No 275 Wing.  On 25 May 1943 it was at No 21 PTC, Kasfareet prior to goint Ismailia but by 31 August was at El Firdan, where it disbanded on 31 January 1944.

It reformed from Nos 54 and 55 'B' Balloon Flights on 14 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, being transferred to 2nd TAF on 20 April and by 9 May was at 356 Hill Lane, Southampton Common.  On 19 May it moved to Bramford, near Ipswich and across to France following the D-Day landings, arriving at Ver sur Mre on 14 August.  However, it returned to Wythall on 9 October and disbanded on 16 October 1944.

It again reformed as No 980 (Port Balloon) Squadron on 1 November 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall, moving to Hotel de la Paix, Blankenberghe under the control of No 85 Group on 19 January 1945.  On 25 April it moved to St Nicholas under No 159 Wing and disbanded on 1 May 1945.

No 981 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed from  on 21 March 1942 under the control of  at Hook, Surrey for service in the Middle East with No 260 Wing.  It left the UK on 10 April destined for Basrah, arriving at Shaibah in July 1942, wher it joined No 275 Wing.  It moved to Basrah on 6 September and on 2 May 1943 was transferred from Middle East Command to NWAAF with a subsequent move to North Africa.  By 27 June it was at Tindja, from where it detached 'A' Flight to Bone, 'B' Flight to Bizerte whilst 'C' Flight remained at Tindja.  It disbanded on 1 May 1944.

No 982 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 20 April 1942 at Chessington for service in the Middle East, departing for Persia on 6 May.  It arrived at Ahwaz on 6 September coming under No 275 Wing but on 16 May was transferred to North Africa under NWAAF being locatedat Sousse by 27 June 1943.  It moved to Guyotville on 10 December with 'A' Flight at Bastia, 'B' Flight at Oran, 'C' Flight at Maddalena, 'D' Flight at Algiers and a detachment at Ajaccio.  By 15 July 1944 it was at No 1 Base Personnel Depot, Fort de L'Eau, where it disbanded on 31 July 1944.

No 983 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 8 May 1942 at Chessington, departing for the Persian Gulf on 9 July to join No 275 Wing.  By 1 December it was at Shaibah but by 7 February 1943 it had moved to Ismailia before moving to Marsa in Malta by 28 February with a detachment at Benghazi.  On 16 February 1944 it moved to Porto Vechio, leaving a detachment at Marsa but by 15 July it was at Erbalunga in Corsica, where it absorbed personnel from No 982 Squadron on 31 July and disbanded on 1 September 1944.

No 984 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 June 1942 at Chessington for service overseas, departing on 17 July.  It stood up on 22 October as part of No 173 Wing at Carmichael Road, Bombay, being transferred to No 274 Wing on 19 February 1943.  By 10 March it was at Digboi, being transferred to AHQ Bengal on 25 March.  It had moved to China Bay/Trincomalee by 10 January 1944 and disbanded on 31 December 1944.

No 985 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 June 1942 at Chessington for service in Mombasa but this was later changed to Algiers.  It moved to Fulford Park, York on 2 November with a detachment forming at Cardington on 7 December as No 1440 Flight.  It eventually embarked on 8 January 1943, arriving and disembarking at Algiers on 17 January, moving to Bone on 12 February.  On 30 September it moved to mainland Italy at Taranto, then on to Brindisi, leaving 'C' Flight at Taranto, maving again on 15 July to San Marinella but by September was back in Brindisi, where it disbanded on 11 September 1944.

No 986 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 3 July 1943 at Cardington for service overseas.  It arrived in Augusta on 1 January 1944 sending a detachment to Syracuse.  By 15 July it was in the Naples area, moving to Leghorn on 25 August, with Shore Servicing Detachments at Algiers and Oran from 9 September and disbanded on 1 May 1945.

No 987 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 1 September 1943 under the control of No 224 Group at Chittagong and disbanded on 25 May 1945.

No 990 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 15 July 1941 at Cardington for service overseas but initially was sent to Hayling Island on 15 August and by December was attached to the Admiralty.  However, by the end of December it was at Alutbea, Loch Ewe in preparation for moving overseas.  It was despatched to Trincomalee on 5 January 1942 under No 222 Group before moving to Colombo in November, where it disbanded on 1 December 1944.

No 991 (Balloon) Squadron

This was planned to form for service in Ireland but formation was cancelled on 4 April 1942.

No 991 (Balloon) Squadron

It reformed from as No 991 (Beach Balloon) Mobile Squadron on 1 April 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall for service on Mulberry 'B'.  It was transferred to 2nd TAF on 26 April, moving to Titchfield on 20 May, before arriving at Arromanches on 14 June.  On 4 September it was retitled No 991 (Port Balloon) Squadron, moving to 250 Chaussee der Fronchiennes, Ghent on 7 November and then to Kanaal Dork W 403, Antwerp on 5 December, where it disbanded on 12 December 1944.

It reformed from  on 12 December 1944 under the control of  at Chaussee der Fronchiennes, Ghent.  Following VE Day it returned to the UK and disbanded at Great Sampford on 6 June 1945.

No 992 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a 'Rover' Squadron on in July 1940 under the control of No 1 BC at Kidbrooke, moving to Cerne Abbas on 19 July then to Temple Ewell, near Dover on 30 July, where it disbanded on 30 July 1940 with its personnel used to form a new No 961 Squadron.

It was re-established as a 'Rover' Squadron on 6 September 1940 at Weybridge and was relieved by No 954 Squadron on 15 September 1940.

It was planned to reform for service in Ireland but formation was cancelled on 4 February 1942.

It reformed as a 'Rover' Squadron on 9 May 1942 under the control of  at Broad Clyst, near Exeter, moving to Old Sarum on 3 June, Swindon on 3 May, then to Great Yarmouth on 22 July, where it was and redesignated No 969 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

It again reformed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 101 and 102 'P' Flights.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May but was stiil at Wythall in November.  By 5 December it had arrived in Lille, moving to Stabroeck on 19 January 1945 with 'A Flight attached to the IXth US Army.  It was transferred to Balloon Wing, Fighter Command and disbanded at Great Sampford on 17 June 1945.

No 993 (Balloon) Squadron

This was planned to form for service in Ireland but formation was cancelled on 4 February 1942.

It was formed as a 'Rover' Squadron on 1 May 1942 under the control of No 6 BC at Crome House, Old Catton, Norwich, moving to Stoke House, Old Belstead, Ipswich on 14 September, then to The Priory, Writtle, near Chelmsford on 5 November, where it and was redesignated No 911/913/915 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

It reformed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 103 and 104 'P' Flights but disbanded on 4 May 1944.

No 994 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on 18 August 1940 at Birmingham, moving to Milford Haven on 26 August and disbanded on 11 April 1942.

It reformed as a 'Rover' Squadron on 5 June 1942 under the control of  at Berkeley House, Boughton Hill, Dunkirk, Canterbury but was redesignated No 960 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

It again reformed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 105 and 106 'P' Flights.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May, moving to Dillywood Lane, Higham, near Rochester on 29 July to undertake anti-Diver operations under No 23 BC.  It returned to Wythall  and disbanded on 1 September 1944.

No 995 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed on in June 1943 at Norwich, moving to Newhaven and Shoreham in August but was at Titchfield by December, after which its fate is unknown.

It reformed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 107 and 108 'P' Flights and was t Portsmouth by 15 February but was disbanded on 4 May 1944.

It again reformed again on 5 August 1944 at Rochester but its fate is unknown.

No 996 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 109 and 110 'P' Flights, moving to Gravesend at some point.  It was allocated to No 85 Group on 10 May but on 29 July moved to Rochester & Cobham Park Golf Club to undertake anti-Diver operations under No 23 BC.  It returned to Wythall on 28 August, from where it moved across to the continent, arriving at Les Etangs, Kapelsche Straat, Kapelen on 2 December.  Following VE-Day it embarked at Ostende and disbanded at Great Sampford on 10 June 1945.

No 997 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 111, 112 and 113 'P' Flights.  On 26 April it moved to Springfield, Rudwell Road, Weymouth and on 12 July lost No 113 Flight.  It moved to Gravesend on 29 July under No 23 BC to undertake anti-Diver operations, returning to Wythall on 1 September.  Crossing to the continent it arrived at Doel on 2 December, where it was re-established as No 997 (Port Balloon) Squadron on 12 December, with 'B' Flight being attached to 2nd Army.  In April 1945 it was transferred to No 85 Group but was embarking for Great Sampford in the UK, where it disbanded on 10 June 1945.

No 998 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 114 and 115 'P' Flights, becoming operational on 26 April at 26 Sussex Square, Kemp Town, Brighton.  It moved to Cliffe Rectory, Cliffe, Rochester under No 23 BC to undertake anti-Diver operations, returning to Wythall on 1 September.  On 1 November it was re-organised as No 998 (Port Balloon) Squadron, taking over Nos 108 and 109 Flights, moving to Fairlop in March 1945 and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 999 (Balloon) Squadron

This was formed as a 'P' Squadron on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall to administer Nos 116 and 117 'P' Flights, becoming operational on 26 April at Hollicombe Head, Preston, Paignton.  It moved to Gadshill, Rochester under No 23 BC on 29July to undertake anti-Diver operations, moving to Highters Heath, Maypole, Birmingham on 1 September.  On 1 November it was re-organised as No 999 (Port Balloon) Squadron, taking over Nos 108 and 120 Fllights, moving to Great Sampford in March 1945 and disbanded on 1 September 1945.

Balloon Operations Squadron

This was formed from the Operation Squadron of the Parachute Support Unit around 1985 still under the control of the PSU at Hullavington.  It beame autonomous on 1 September 1993 and disbanded on 31 March 1995.

The Balloon Unit

This was formed from the Balloon Development Unit on 15 April 1948 under the control of No 38 Group at Cardington, moving to Hullavington on 31 October 1968 and disbanded into the Parachute Support Unit on 1 July 1967.

'A' Balloon Unit

This was formed on 6 October 1942 under the control of No 33 Group at 59 Bracondale, Norwich and disbanded on 16 December 1943.

'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed on 6 October 1942 at Wroughton and disbanded on 6 January 1943.

'C' Balloon Unit

This was formed on 6 October 1942 at 16 Jewry Street, Winchester and disbanded on 6 January 1943.

'D' Balloon Unit

This was formed on 31 October 1942 at Hucclecote and disbanded on 6 January 1943.

'E' Balloon Unit

This was formed on 3 November 1942 at Parkside, Rosehill Road, Bishops Hill, Ipswich and disbanded on 6 January 1943.

'A' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Lascari in October, Brindisi in November and disbanded on in January 1944.

'B' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Lascari in October, Brindisi in November and disbanded on in January 1944.

'C' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Lascari in October, Bone in December and disbanded on in January 1944.

'D' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Lascari in October, Bone in December and disbanded on in January 1944.

'E' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Reggio in October and disbanded on in January 1944.

'F' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on by August 1943 at Comiso, moving to Lascari in October, Oran in December and disbanded on in January 1944.

'G' ("K") Balloon Unit

This was formed on 30 September 1943 at Salerno, moving to Oran in December then to Tripoli by 1 December and disbanded on 16 February 1944.

K Balloon Unit

This was formed on 30 September 1943 at Salerno, moving to Messina in October and disbanded on 16 February 1944.

L Balloon Unit

This was possibly formed in the UK, having proceeded overseas by 13 September 1943.  On 1 October it was transferred from Middle East Command to NWAAF and was at Bari during that month.  In December it moved to Cerignola after which its fate is unknown.

 No 1'M' Balloon Unit

This was formed to deliver propaganda leaflets over enemy territory in 1939, probably at Cardington, moving to France in October.  By 24 February 1940 it was at Sarrebourg but returned to Cardington on 31 May following the German invasion of France, now under the control of Balloon Command.  Moving to Manston on 5 July it commenced operations on 17 July.  On 22 June 1942 it moved to General's Meadow, St Clare Road, Upper Walmer, near Deal, then to Dover in August 1943.  From 15 November 1944 it joined No 159 Wing, No 85 Group, moving to Bunsbeeck on 19 December but returned to the UK on 17 June 1945 and disbanded at Great Sampford on 25 August 1945.

 No 50 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 50 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 51 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 51 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 52 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 52 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 53 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 53 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 54 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 54 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 55 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 55 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

 No 56 'B' Balloon Unit

This was formed from  on in 1944 under the control of No 6 BC at Wythall and was redesignated No 56 'B' Balloon Flight on 6 April 1944.

Free Balloon Section

This had formed by December 1918 at 331 Upper Richmond Road, Putney, London SW15 and disbanded on in September 1919.

Free Balloon Training Section

This was formed in 1918 at Kennington Oval, London and disbanded on 11 May 1918.

Kite Balloon Experimental Park

This was formed on in December 1918 at Roehampton and was amalgamated with the Balloon Testing Section, Richmond into a group of No 5 Stores Depot in Fulham on 17 March 1919.

Kite Balloon Experimental Station

This was formed from Airship Station Pulham on in March 1929 under the control of  at Pulham and was redesignated Kite Balloon Experimental Establishment on 1 November 1936.

Kite Balloon Research Section

This was formed on in November 1918 at City & Guilds Technical School Finsbury, Leonard Street, City Road, London EC2 but its fate is unknown.

Kite Balloon Station, Houton Bay

This was formed on an unknown date at Houton Bay and disbanded on 23 April 1919.

Kite Balloon Testing Section

This was formed in December 1918 at Crystal Palace and disbanded in August 1919.

Kite Balloon Testing Section

This was formed in December 1918 at Kingston Hill, Richmond Park, Kingston-upon-Thames and was amalgamated with the Kite Balloon Experimental Park into a group of No 5 Stores Depot in Fulham on 17 March 1919.

No 1 Mobile Balloon Flight

This was formed on 21 February 1942 at Plymouth but by mid 1943 was at Chrome House, St Faith's Road, Norwich, moving to Great Yarmouth on 22 July, where it and was redesignated No 951 Squadron on 1 February 1944.

It reformed on 1 February 1944 at Constitution Hill, Norwich but its fate is unknown.

 No 2 Mobile Balloon Flight

This was formed on 18 January 1944 under the control of ACSEA at Jamshedpur, remaining until at least 10 March.  By 1 June it was at Kharagpur but had moved to Kalewa by February 1945, where it and disbanded on 1 March 1945.

A' Mobile Balloon Squadron

This was formed on 1 March 1940 at Cardington but was redesignated No 957 Squadron on 20 May 1940.

 No 1 Mobile Balloon Unit

This was formed on 18 February 1942 under the control of No 31 Group at No 4 BC, Chigwell to undertake experimental duties and disbanded on 1 December 1942.

 No 2 Mobile Balloon Unit

This was formed on 18 February 1942 under the control of No 30 Group at No 1 BC, Kidbrooke to undertake experimental duties and disbanded on 1 December 1942.

Polish Balloon Unit

This was formed on 15 March 1945 at Cardington and disbanded on 9 December 1946.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]