Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Communication Units


This section covers units specially tasked with communications duties except for station flights.

Aden Communication Flight/Aden Communication Unit/Aden Protectorate Communications and Support Squadron

This was formed on 21 April 1942 under the control of  at Khormaksar as the Aden Communication Flight, being retitled HQ British Forces Aden Communication Flight on 21 March 1943.  It was redesignated the Aden Communication Unit on 1 January 1944 but reverted to its previous title in January 1946.  On 1 November 1951 it was redesignated Aden Communication Squadron, merging with the Aden Protectorate Support Flight on 31 August 1955 to become the Aden Protectorate Communications and Support Squadron, which in turn was redesignated No 84 Squadron on 31 December 1956.

Aden Protectorate Support Flight

This was formed on 21 September 1947 under the control of  at Khormaksar and disbanded into No 8 Squadron on 19 September 1950.

It reformed from 'B' Flight, No 8 Squadron on 4 February 1952 under the control of  at Khormaksar and merged into the Aden Protectorate Communications and Support Squadron on 31 August 1955.

Advanced Air Striking Force Communication Flight

This was formed on 24 August 1939 under the control of HQ AASF, moving to Chateau Polignac, Reims-Champagne on 2 September.  Following the German invasion, it moved to Troyes on 15 May, to Muides-sur-Loire, near Blois on 3 June, was at Saron-sur-Arbe by 7 June, then to Nantes on 10 June at Abingdon and disbanded on 24 June 1940.

Air Command Far East & AHQ Malaya Communication Squadron

This was formed by redesignating the ACSEA Communication Squadron on 30 September 1946 at Changi and disbanded into the RAF Far East Communication Flight on 15 January 1947.

Air Command South East Asia Communication Squadron

This was formed from ACSEA Communication Unit on 31 January 1944 under the control of ACSEA at Willingdon, moving to Ratmalana on 1 October under No 222 Group, although a detachment was left at Willingdon as the British Air Forces South East Asia Communication Squadron.  In October 1945 it moved to Kallang, then to Changi in July 1946 and was redesignated Air Command Far East and AHQ Malaya Communication Squadron on 30 September 1946.

Air Command South East Asia Internal Air Service Squadron

This was formed from detachments of No 229 Group Communication Squadron on 7 June 1945 at Ratmalana, moving to Maharajpur the same day.  It operated detachments at Yelahanka and Santa Cruz until it moved to Yelahanka on 12 September, where it disbanded on 28 February 1946.

RAF Air Component, BEF Communication Squadron

This was formed on 25 August 1939 under the control of HQ Air Component at Andover, moving to Laval in France on 16 September then to Amiens/Mont Joie on 3 October, where it was redesignated No 81 Squadron on 1 December 1939.

Air Council Inspection Squadron

This was formed on 1 July 1919 under the control of South Eastern Area at Croydon, absorbing the Director of Research Flight on 17 September 1919 and was redesignated No 24 Squadron on 1 February 1920.

No 2 (Hendon) AAP Communication Flight

This was formed in 1917 under the control of No 2 AAP at Hendon and was redesignated The Communication Squadron on 23 July 1918.

ADGB Communication Squadron

This was formed from Station Flight, Northolt on 1 May 1944 under the control of ADGB at Northolt and was redesignated Fighter Command Communication Squadron on 16 October 1944.

No 1 Air Delivery Letter Service

This was formed on/by 8 July 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at Northolt but its fate is unknown.

No 2 Air Delivery Letter Service

This was formed by June 1944 under the control of No 126 Wing at Tangmere, moving to B2 near Bazenville under No 127 Wing (No 83 Group) on 14 June.  It came under the direct control of No 83 Group at Mettingen on 17 April 1945, moving to Elderse on 27 April, after which its fate is unknown.

No 3 Air Delivery Letter Service

This was formed by 30 June 1944 under the control of No 84 Group at Emsworth until at least 8 July 1944 but by 10 April 1945 it had moved to B82 Grave.  On 27 April it moved to B108 Twente, to B118 Celle on 10 July then to B64 Schleswig on 1 August, after which its fate is unknown.

No 4 Air Delivery Letter Service

This was formed in 1944 under the control of  at Northolt, moving to Uxbridge on 16 June.  It crossed to the Continent on 2 January 1945 to B61 St Denis Westrem attached to No 85 Group Communication Squadron until at least 1 August, after which but its fate is unknown.

Air Despatch Letter Service Squadron

This was formed from Nos 1322 and 1697 Flights on 12 December 1944 under the control of No 11 Group at Northolt, moving to  B168 Fuhlsbuttel on 12 June 1945.  It operated a number of detachments at Paris, B56 Brussels, Northolt, Blackbushe, B151 Minden, Gatow and Shepherds Grove and disbanded on 15 March 1946.

Air Division Communication Squadron

This was formed from 'E' Squadron, BAFO Communication Wing on 18 December 1945 at Gatow, moving to Detmold on 25 May 1946 and disbanded on 8 August 1946.

Air Forces Western Europe Communication Flight

This was formed in December 1948 at Toussus-le-Noble, moving to Melun-Villeroche (Fontainebleau) on 15 March 1950 and was redesignated Allied Air Forces Central Europe Communication Flight on in April 1951.

Air Training Corps Flight

This was formed on 1 January 1943 under the control of No 24 Group at Halton to provide ATC cadets with air experience flying and disbanded on in November 1945.

Allied Flight

This was formed from a flight then under the control of No 24 Squadron on 12 June 1944 at Hendon, being transferred to the Metropolitan Communication Squadron at the same time.  It provided aircraft for use by Belgian and Dutch Army HQs, with the Dutch element being redesignated No 1316 Flight on 7 July 1944 it appears to have ceased to exist about April 1946.

AAFCE Communication Flight

This was formed from the AFWE Communication Flight in April 1951 at Melun-Villerroche (Fontainebleau) and is assumed to have disbanded in 1966.

AEAF Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed as AEAF Communication Flight on 13 December 1943 under the control of  at Heston, being raised to squadron status on  6 April and was redesignated SHAEF (RAF) Communication Squadron on 15 October 1944.

Andover Communication Flight

This was formed from the Staff College Flight and Wessex Bombing Area Communication Flight on 28 March 1927 at Andover but its fate is unknown.

Army Co-operation Command Communication Flight

This was formed from No 22 Group Communication Flight on 1 December 1940 under the control of HQ Army Co-operation Command at White Waltham and disbanded and replaced by the 2nd TAF Communication Flight on 31 May 1943.

HQ RAF Austria Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 5 October 1945 under the control of HQ Mediterranean and Middle East at Klangenfurt and was redesignated RAF Austria Commission Communication Flight on 15 August 1946.

RAF Austria Commission Communication Flight

This was formed from HQ RAF Austria Communication Flight on 15 August 1946 under the control of HQ Mediterranean and Middle East at Klangenfurt and disbanded on 1 November 1947.

Balkan Air Force Communication Flight

This was formed on 7 June 1944 at Bari and disbanded on 15 July 1945.

BAFSEA Communication Squadron

This was formed on 1 October 1944 at Willingdon, as an element of the ACSEA Communication Squadron and was redesignated AHQ (India) Communication Squadron on 1 April 1945.

Belgian Flight

This was formed on 30 January 1946 as part of Metropolitan Communication Squadron at Northolt but its fate is unknown.

Bengal Communication Flight/Bengal Communication Unit

This was formed as the Communication Flight on 2 June 1942 at Dum Dum, to provide communication services to Bengal Command HQ.  On 1 December it was retitled Bengal Communication Flight, moving to Barrackpore on 11 February 1943.  It was retitled, again, on 24 March as AHQ Bengal Communication Unit, absorbing to Communications Squadrons of Nos 221 and224 Groups at the same time.  Returning to Dum Dum on 12 June, it then moved to Comilla on 31 October, where it  and was redesignated Tactical Air Force (Burma) Communication Squadron on 19 December 1943.

RAF Bengal/Burma Communication Squadron

This was formed from 3rd TAF Communications Squadron on 4 December 1944 at Baigachi and was redesignated RAF Burma Communications Squadron on 21 April 1945.

Berlin Air Command (RAF Element) Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 24 May 1945 under the control of 2nd TAF at Gatow and was redesignated British Air Command Berlin Communication Flight on 1 August 1945.

Bomber Command Communication Flight/Squadron

From 1939 a number of aircraft had been held at Northolt for use by personnel at Bomber Command but the Bomber Command Communication Flight was formed on 12 May 1942 under the control of  at Halton, moving to Booker on 23 May 1946.  It was raised to squadron status on 1 February 1956, by which time it was operating a detachment at Benson known as the Bomber Command Communication Squadron (Jet Element), which disbanded on 16 June 1960.  It finally moved to Bovingdon on 31 March 1963, where it disbanded into the Bomber/Fighter/Coastal Command Communication Squadron on 30 June 1963.

Bomber, Fighter, Coastal Command Communication Squadron

This was formed from the Bomber, Fighter and Coastal Command Communications Squadrons on 30 June 1963 at Bovingdon and was redesignated Southern Communication Squadron on 1 August 1963.

British Air Command Berlin Communication Flight

This was formed from the Berlin Air Command RAF Element) Communication Flight on 1 August 1945 at Gatow and disbanded on 28 February 1946.

BAFO Communication Squadron/Wing

This was formed from 2nd TAF Communication Squadron on 15 July 1945 under the control of BAFO at B151 Buckeburg as BAFO Communication Squadron, being raised to Wing status on 10 October.  'A' Squadron included the Air Commander-in-Chief's Flight, Field Marshal Montgomery's Flight and a Staff Flight, 'B' and 'C' Squadrons which operated on internal air routes, 'D' Squadron providing an ADL Service and 'E' Squadron, which formed on 10 July to work with the Control Commission.  It operated from Gatwick until 7 September 1946, where it reverted to squadron status as part of Flying Wing and was absorbed into 2nd TAF Communication Squadron on 1 September 1951.

The British Commonwealth Air Communication Flight/Squadron

The nucleus was formed in 1945 under the control of  at Digri, moving to Tambaram, en-route to Japan, on 3 December 1945.  It officially formed at Iwakuni on 1 January 1946 and disbanded on 31 March 1948.

RAF/AHQ Burma Communication Squadron/Flight

This was formed as RAF Burma Communication Squadron on 21 April 1945 at Baigachi, being redesignated AHQ Burma Communication Squadron on 20 September.  It was reduced to flight status on 14 November, moving to Mingaladon the same month.  From here it operated detachments at Meiktila, Toungoo, Moulmein, Saigon and Bangkok but disbanded on 1 December 1947.

Central Air Communication Section

This was formed from Central Air Communication Squadron, Mesopotamia on 16 March 1920 under the control of No 31 Wing at Shaibah and disbanded on 31 March 1922.

Central Air Communication Squadron, Mesopotamia

This was formed from  on in early 1920 under the control of No 31 Wing at Shaibah and was redesignated Central Air Communication Section on 16 March 1920.

AHQ Ceylon Communication Flight

This was formed from No 222 Group Communication Flight on 15 October 1945 under the control of  at Ratmalana, moving to Negombo in February 1946.  At some point after this it moved to Mawatagama but returned to Negombo in September, having become ineffective in August and disbanded on 15 January 1947.

Civil Aircraft Flight of National Air Communications

This was formed in September 1939 at Doncaster and was rationalised as No 271 Squadron on 1 May 1940.

Coastal Command Communication Flight/Squadron

From 1936 communication aircraft for HQ Coastal Command were supplied by the Station Flight at Northolt.  A separate Coastal Command Communication Flight was formed ADGB Communication Squadron on 1 May 1944 under the control of  at Northolt.  On 1 October its parent Squadron was redesignated Fighter Command Communication Squadron but on 7 April it became independent as Coastal Command Communication Squadron, moving to Leavesden.  It moved to Hendon on 20 February 1946 under No 46 Group and disbanded on 1 May 1946.

Coastal Command Communication Flight

It reformed as Coastal Command Communication Flight at Bovingdon and was absorbed into Bomber/Fighter/Coastal Command Communication Squadron on 30 June 1963.

RAF Colerne Communication Squadron

This was formed following the disbandment of No 62 Group Communication Flight on 1 August 1952 at Colerne, to provide communication aircraft for Nos 27, 62 and 81 Groups, Nos 2 and 3 Radio Schools and HQ Southern Sector.  It was  and absorbed into No 81 Group Communication Flight on 1 July 1957.

HQ Combat Cargo Task Force Communication Flight

This was formed on 5 February 1945 at Comilla and was redesignated No 23 2Group Communication Flight on 27 February 1945.

1st Commonwealth Division Light Liaison Flight

This was formed from  on 10 January 1955 under the control of  at A16 Strip, Korea, moving to A24 Strip on 28 February and disbanded on 30 April 1956.

No 1 Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 2 (Hendon) AAP Communication Flight on 23 July 1918 as The Communication Squadron at Hendon, being redesignated No 1 Communication Squadron on 26 July.  It moved to Kenley on 17 April 1919 and disbanded on 28 October 1919.

No 2 Communication Squadron

This was formed from a detachment of No 1 Communication Squadron on 26 March 1919 at Buc, near Paris.  It was allocated to No 91 Wing on 2 April but was transferred to Rear HQ RAF on 7 May and disbanded on 14 October 1919.

No 3 Communication Squadron

This was formed from  on in February 1919 at Hounslow, moving to Kenly in May, where it and disbanded into No 1 Communication Squadron on in May 1919.

No 4 Communication Squadron

This was formed from  on 6 January 1919 at Felixstowe, absorbing Nos 33 and 334 Flights from No 232 Squadron to undertake long distance communication with F5 flying boats and disbanded on in December 1919.

No 5 Communication Squadron

This was formed on 1 June 1919 under the control of No 27 Group from 12 February at Bircham Newton and disbanded on 15 June 1919.

No 6 Communication Squadron

This was formed on in February 1919 under the control of No 27 Group from 12 February at Bircham Newton and disbanded on 15 June 1919.

No 7 Communication Squadron

This was formed on in February 1919 under the control of No 27 Group from 12 February at Bircham Newton and disbanded on 15 June 1919.

No 8 Communication Squadron

This was formed on in February 1919 under the control of No 27 Group from 12 February at Bircham Newton and disbanded on 15 June 1919.

RAF Mission to Denmark Communication Flight

This was formed from SHAEF Mission to Denmark Communication Flight on 15 July 1945 at Kastrup and disbanded on 26 October 1947.

Department of the Chief of the Air Staff Communication Flight

Operating around 1925/1926, this flight was based at Northolt and Kenley but its fate is unknown

Desert Air Force Communication Flight/Communication Flight, AHQ Western Desert/Communication Unit, Western Desert

Due to the changing nature of the organisation in the Western Desert, this unit went through a number of designation changes during its life.  It was initially formed at Maaten Bagush as Communication Flight, Western Desert on 9 October 1941 by redesignating No 204 Group Communication Flight.  On 27 April 1942 it became Communication Unit, Rear HQ Western Desert and then Desert Air Force Communication Flight on 20 August 1943, finally being absorbed into AHQ Italy Communication Squadron on 30 June 1946.  It constantly on the move during its career as its parent formation moved locations in the Western Desert, Sicily and finally Italy. 

Movements are shown in the table below: -

Date

Location

22 Jun 1942

LG 28

27 Jun 1942

Wadi Natrun

5 Nov 1942

LG 28

22 Nov 1942

Gazala No 2

7 Dec 1942

Benina

12 Jan 1943

Meduna

4 Feb 1943

Castel Benito

20 Mar 1943

Senem

6 Apr 1943

Soltane

15 Apr 1943

Sfax/El Maoui

25 May 1943

Sorman West

16 Jul 1943

Zura

7 Aug 1943

In transit at No 38 PTC

10 Aug 1943

Embarked for Sicily in LST

12 Aug 1943

Francesca

20 Sep 1943

Crotone

23 Sep 1943

Scanzano

1 Oct 1943

Palazzo ('B' Flight - Foggia Main from 9 Oct)

15 Oct 1943

Bovino

27 Oct 1943

Foggia Main

25 Jan 1944

Trigino

1 Jun 1944

Orvieto

7 Jul 1944

Castiglione

1 Aug 1944

Pian del Lago

22 Aug 1944

Jesi

1 Sep 1944

Chairavalle

2 Sep 1944

Piagiolino

18 Sep 1944

Cassandra

1 Nov 1944

Rimini

17 Dec 1944

Forli

late Feb 1945

Rimini

xx Mar 1945

Cecina

29 Apr 1945

Forli

26 May 1945

Campoformido

xx Jul 1945

Udine

1 Sep 1945

Fletto Umberto

6 Oct 1945

Campoformido

 

Director-General of Aviation Communication Flight

This was formed by December 1945 under the control of No 227 Group at an unknown location and disbanded in February 1946.

AHQ East Africa Communication Squadron/Flight

This was formed as AHQ East Africa Communication Squadron from No 1 (Communications) Flight, KAAU and Air Defence Unit on 1 November 1940  at Nairobi and was redesignated No 207 Group Communication Flight on 15 December 1941.

AHQ East Africa Communication Squadron/Flight

This was formed as AHQ East Africa Communication Flight from No 207 Group Communication Flight on 16 November 1942 at Eastleigh and was redesignated Air Transport Flight, RAF Eastleigh on in February 1944.

It reformed, again as AHQ East Africa Communication Flight from the Air Transport Flight on 31 July 1944 at Eastleigh and was redesignated Eastleigh Communication Flight on 15 September 1951.

Eastern Air Command Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 December 1943 at Comilla and disbanded on 1 June 1945.

AHQ Eastern Mediterranean Communication Flight

This was formed from No 201 Group Communication Squadron on 1 February 1944 at Mairut.  It was placed on Care and Maintenance on 28 February 1946 with its tasking being taken over by Mediterranean and Middle Communication Squadron on 1 April 1946.

Eastleigh Communication Flight

This was formed from the East Africa Communication Squadron on 15 September 1951 at Eastleigh with its disbanded in June 1953.

AHQ Egypt Communication Flight

This was formed on 31 August 1944 at Heliopolis and disbanded into Mediterreanean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 April 1946.

Far East Communication Flight/Squadron

This had formed as Communication Flight Far East by 1939 at Seletar, moving to Kallang on 5 June but was back at Seletar in August as HQ Far East Communication Flight and disbanded to form the Emergency Flying Training Unit on 26 August 1939.

It reformed by April 1940 at Seletar until at least September 1940, after which its fate is unknown.

It reformed, as RAF Far East Communication Flight, from 'C' Flight, No 48 Squadron on 15 January 1947 at Changi.  From 1 April to 15 October 1947 it was temporarily unmanned but was then raised to squadron status as Far East Communication Squadron.  It moved to Tengah on 25 May 1949 before returning to Changi on 21 August. On 1 January 1952 it was transferred to Far East Transport Wing and disbanded on 17 February 1959.

Fighter Command Communication Squadron

This was formed from ADGB Communication Squadron on 15 October 1944 at Northolt. A detachment was located at Debden from 14 January 1945 for use by the RAF Staff College and 'A' Flight was detached to Heston between 4 September and 2 November 1945 whilst runway resurfacing took place at Northolt.  On 25 April 1946 the light aircraft element was attached to the Metropolitan Communication Squadron at Hendon but on 9 July 1947 the whole unit moved to Bovingdon, where it absorbed No 11 Group Communication Flight.  It disbanded into Bomber/Fighter/Coastal Command Communication Squadron on 30 June 1963.

Flying Training Command Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed from Training Command Communication Flight on 27 May 1940 at White Waltham.  It moved to Woodley on 15 February 1942, where it also served Technical Training Command and No 50 Group.  It returned to White Waltham, where it was absorbed into the Home Command Communication Flight on 31 March 1953.

Flying Wing

This was formed following the disbandment BAFO Communication Wing on 22 September 1947 at Buckeburg, comprising of the BAFO Communication Squadron and Military Governor's Flight but its fate is unknown.

RAF Delegation (France) Communication Flight

This was formed from No 87 Wing Communication Flight on 26 August 1946 at Buckeburg, moving to Toussus-le-Noble on 30 September 1947 and disbanded on 15 November 1947.

RAF Germany Communication Squadron

This was formed from 2nd TAF Communication Squadron on 1 January 1959 at Wildenrath and was redesignated No 60 Squadron on 3 February 1969.

AHQ Greece Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 October 1944 at Kalamaki (reverting to the name Hassani on 1 December 1944) and disbanded on 1 March 1945, with its role being taken over by the Royal Hellenic Air Force Communication Flight.

AHQ Greece Flight

This was formed on in January 1945 at Hassani, being transferred from AHQ Greece to MACAF on 1 July  and was redesignated RAF Delegation Greece Communication Flight on 11 January 1947.

RAF Delegation Greece Communication Flight

This was formed from AHQ Greece Flight on 11 January 1947 at Hassani (renamed Ellenikon on1 August 1949) and disbanded on 30 April 1952.

No 1 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 20 July 1941 at Bircotes and disbanded at Finningley on 1 October 1964. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

29 Jan 1943

Finningley

xx xxx 1943

Bircotes

12 Feb 1943

Lindholme

14 Apr 1943

Bircotes

xx Nov 1945

Finningley

xx Dec 1945

Worksop

xx Jan 1946

Finningley

1 May 1947

Lindholme

1 Oct 1947

Finningley

11 Mar 1948

Lindholme

31 Mar 1952

Finningley

17 May 1954

Lindholme

26 Aug 1957

Finningley

No 2 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on in January 1940 at Wyton.  It was raised to squadron status on 10 October 1945 but reverted to flight status on 29 May 1946 and disbanded on 31 May 1947. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

5 May 1943

Swanton Morley

16 Jan 1944

Benson (detachment at B56 Brussels/Evere by 7 Nov 1944)

16 Nov 1944

B56 Brussels/Evere

xx Dec 1944

B58 Brussels/Melbroek

by 15 Aug 1945

B56 Brussels/Evere

It reformed on 11 April 1949 at Gutersloh and disbanded on 4 October 1958.  See table below for movement details

No 3 Group Communication Flight

This had formed by August 1937 at Mildenhall, moving to Newmarket around 25 July 1941, to Snailwell on 1 March 1945 before returning to Mildenhall on 21 March 1946 and disbanded on 1 October 1964.

No 4 Group Communication Flight

This had formed by August 1938 at Linton-on-Ouse, moving to York (Clifton) around April 1940.  It returned to Linton in 1942, moving to Elvington on 18 June 1943, to Melbourne by 10 November, to Full Sutton on 3 July 1945, Rufforth on on 31 December 1946, ten finally to Abingdon on 26 April 1947, where it was absorbed into No 38 Group Communication Flight on 0 January 1900.

No 5 Group Communication Flight

This was formed in 1938 at Grantham, moving to Swinderby on 14 November 1943 and disbanded on 15 December 1945.

No 6 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 3 April 1939 at Norwich (Mousehold), moving to Abingdon by April 1940 and was redesignated No 91 Group Communication Flight on 4 November 1940.

It reformed on 1 December 1942 at Dishforth, moving to Linton-on-Ouse on 18 June before returning to Dishforth on 5 June 1944 and disbanded on 31 August 1945.

No 7 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 July 1940 at Wyton, moving to Bicester around 1 September 1941 and was redesignated No 92 Group Communication Flight on 11 May 1942.

It reformed on 11 November 1944 at Bottesford, moving to Spitalgate on 24 March 1945 and disbanded on 21 December 1945.

No 8 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 August 1942 at Wyton and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

No 9 Group Communication Flight

This was formed around October 1940 at Salmesbury, absorbing No 81 Group Communication Flight.  It moved to Woodvale, temporarily from 5 - 26 August 1943 due to the runways at Salmesbury being unserviceable and disbanded on 15 September 1944.

No 10 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 1 June 1940 at Hullavington, moving to Colerne on 1 July 1940 and disbanded on 17 April 1945.

No 11 Group Communication Flight

This was formed as an independent unit in January 1945 at Northolt, prior to which No 11 Group had been provided with communication aircraft by the Station Flight at Northolt. It disbanded into the Fighter Command Communication Squadron on its move to Bovingdon on 9 July 1947.

It reformed on 15 April 1958 at Martlesham Heath and disbanded on 31 December 1960.

It reformed from No 13 Group Communication Flight on 1 January 1961 at Ouston, moving to Leconfield on 25 September 1961 and disbanded on 31 March 1963.

No 12 Group Communication Flight

This was formed as an independent unit in July 1941 at Hucknall, communications aircraft for Nos 1 and 12 Groups having previously been provided by the Station Flight at Hucknall.  It later moved to Digby, returning to Hucknall on 21 August 1943, back to Digby on 25 April 1944 but was back at Hucknall by September.  On 12 December 1946 it moved to Newton and then finally to Horsham St Faith on 14 August 1959, where it disbanded on 31 March 1963.

No 13 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 1 August 1939 at Woolsington, moving to Ouston in 1940.  On 15 July 1943 it moved to Inverness (Longman), absorbing No 14 Group Communication Flight at the same time, then to Dalcross on 5 December 1945 and disbanded on 20 May 1946.

It reformed on 1 June 1955 at Newton, moving to Ouston on 1 November and was redesignated No 11 Group Communication Flight on 1 January 1961.

No 14 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 27 July 1940 at Inverness (Longman) and disbanded into No 13 Group Communication Flight on 15 July 1943.

No 15 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 13 June 1939 at Roborough (a FAA station), with a detachment at Mount Batten.  Following the Group HQ's move to Liverpool it relocated to Hooton Park on 1 February 1941, then to Speke on 15 December 1942 and disbanded on 1 August 1945.

No 16 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 3 September 1939 at Rochester, moving to Detling around June 1941 but returning to Rochester on 8 January 1945 and disbanded on 8 March 1946.

No 17 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 December 1936 at Lee-on-Solent, moving to Gosport on 24 February 1939.  On 5 January 1942 it moved to Turnhouse and disbanded into No 18 Group Communication Flight on 1 September 1945.

No 18 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from Communication Flight, Turnhouse on 11 March 1940 at Turnhouse, moving to Leuchars on 13 May.  It returned to Turnhouse on 18 November 1959 but was back at Leuchars from 13 May 1960 to 15 February 1962, when it returned to Turnhouse and disbanded on 1 October 1964.

No 19 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 5 February 1941 at Roborough (a FAA station), moving to Harrowbeer on 15 December 1947, St Eval on 29 July 1948, then back to Roborough on 27 August 1951, where it disbanded on 1 April 1960.

No 20 Group Communication Flight

The Communication requirements of this Group HQ was provided by No 25 Group Communication Flight

No 21 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 12 April 1926 at either Hendon or Northolt but its fate is unknown.

It reformed on 1 December 1938 at Cranwell, moving to Spitalgate on 12 July 1944 then to Swinderby on 1 May 1947 and disbanded on 1 March 1955.

No 22 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 6 October 1939 at Farnborough, with 'A' and 'B' Flights moving across to France with the Air Component, BEF.  It was redesignated Army Co-operation Command Communication Flight on 1 December 1940.

No 22 Group Communication Flight

It reformed on 1 August 1943 at Ternhill disbanded on 1 April 1964.

No 23 Group Communication Flight

This was formed by September 1939 at Spitalgate, moving to South Cerney on 10 October, then to Halton on 1 October 1946 and disbanded on 15 September 1947.

It reformed on 29 March 1950 at Cranfield, moving to Church Fenton on 14 September 1959, then to Dishforth on 12 February 1962 and disbanded on 1 October 1964.

It had reformed by 1967 at Linton-on-Ouse and disbanded on 2 May 1975.

No 24 Group Communication Flight

This had formed by February 1940 at Halton, moving to Staverton around October.  In early 1941 it moved to Worcester (Perdiswell Hall), returning to Halton in December 1944 and was still there until at least 1948 but after that its fate is unknown.

It reformed on 1 January 1960 at Colerne and disbanded on 1 April 1964.

No 25 Group Communication Flight

This had formed  by January 1940 at Brize Norton, moving to Ternhill on 1 March 1940, to cater for both Nos 20 and 25 Groups.  On 23 April 1947 it moved to Spitalgate and disbanded on 15 April 1948.

It reformed on 15 March 1951 at Manby and disbanded on 28 January 1961, with its tasking being taken over by the Flying Training Command Communication Flight.

No 26 Group Communication Flight

The communications needs of this HQ was provided by the Station Flight at Northolt and later by the ADGB Communication Squadron and the Fighter Command Communication Squadron.

No 27 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 27 May 1941 at Colerne, moving to Aston Down around 1 May 1944.  Further moves followed to Southrop on 22 January 1945, Fairford on 11 September 1946, Debden on 19 September 1947 and finally to Colerne on 15 September 1949, where it disbanded into RAF Colerne Communication Squadron on 30 July 1952.

No 29 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 7 July 1942 at Dumfries and disbanded on 14 July 1945.

No 38 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from the Station Flight, Netheravon on 26 November 1943 at Netheravon, moving to Earls Colne on 12 October 1944 and then to Upavon on 31 May 1946 and disbanded on 1 February 1951.

It reformed on 1 January 1960 at Upavon, moving to Odiham on 17 May.  On 15 May 1972 it moved to Benson, where it operated as aa detachment of No 21 Squadron and disbanded, along with No 21 Squadron on 31 July 1976.

No 40 Group Communication Flight

The communications needs of this HQ was probably provided by the Station Flight at Andover until 1 May 1944 when the Maintenance Command Communication Squadron was formed.

No 41 Group Communication Flight

The communications needs of this HQ was probably provided by the Station Flight at Andover until 1 May 1944 when the Maintenance Command Communication Squadron was formed.  It probably reformed post-war but no further details have so far been located.

No 42 Group Communication Flight

This was in existance by 1942 at Theale and disbanded on 1 May 1944 with its duties being taken over by the Maintenance Command Communication Squadron.

No 43 Group Communication Flight

This was formed in 1941 at Abingdon, moving to Henlow on 1 January 1946, then to Hucknall on 28 June 1947 and disbanded into No 41 Group Communication Flight [sic] on 2 January 1956.

No 44 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 August 1941 at Staverton and disbanded on 9 August 1946.

No 45 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1943 at Dorval and was redesignated No 231 Squadron on 8 September 1944.

No 46 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 47 Group Communication Flight on 1 November 1949 at Abingdon and disbanded on 31 March 1950.

No 47 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 48 Group Communication Flight on 15 May 1946 at Little Staughton, moving to Abingdon on 15 April 1948, where it was redesignated No 46 Group Communication Flight on 1 November 1949.

No 48 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 November 1945 at Tempsford, moving to Little Staughton on 22 March 1947 and was redesignated No 47 Group Communication Flight on 15 May 1946.

No 50 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 February 1939 at Hendon, moving to White Waltham on 2 September.  Its duties are supposed to have been taken over by the Flying Training Command Communication Flight at Woodley by 1944 but wasn't and disbanded on 31 May 1947.

No 51 Group Communication Flight

This was formed by December 1940 at Yeadon and disbanded into No 50 Group Communication Flight on 14 July 1945.

No 54 Group Communication Flight

This unit existed by April 1943 at White Waltham but by 1 May 1944 was at Fairoaks and disbanded on 17 June 1946.

It reformed on 1 May 1951 at Benson and disbanded on 10 July 1953.

No 60 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 23 March 1940 at Halton, remaining there into 1944 but by January 1945 was at Wing and disbanded on 25 April 1946.

No 61 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 September 1946 at Kenley, moving to Biggin Hill on 1 March 1958 and disbanded on 15 January 1959.

No 62 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 September 1946 at Middle Wallop, moving to Colerne on 7 January 1948 and disbanded int RAF Colerne Communication Squadron on 30 July 1952.

No 63 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 September 1946 at Hooton Park, moving to Hawarden on 23 April 1947 and disbanded on 1 February 1957.

No 64 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 September 1946 at Finningley, moving to Linton-on-Ouse on 22 April 1947, then to Rufforth on 11 August 1950 and disbanded on 16 February 1958.

No 66 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 September 1946 at Turnhouse and disbanded on 1 October 1952.

No 67 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from RAF Northern Ireland Communication Flight on 1 April 1950 at Aldergrove and disbanded on 28 February 1957.

No 70 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 December 1940 at Farnborough and disbanded on 17 July 1945.

No 71 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 February 1941 at Hanworth, moving to Fairoaks on 25 March 1941, then to Farnborough on 28 June 1941 and disbanded on 22 August 1941.

No 81 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 28 December 1940 at Sealand, moving to Worcester on 19 February 1941, then to Aston Down on 22 December 1941 and disbanded on 15 April 1943.

It reformed on 1 January 1952 at Colerne, absorbing the Colerne Communication Squadron on 1 July 1957 and disbanded on 15 April 1948.

No 82 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on in September 1941 at Ballyhalbert, moving to Newtownards on 5 January 1942 and disbanded into the Northern Ireland Communication Flight on 7 June 1943.

No 83 Group Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed as No 83 Group Communication Flight on 8 April 1943 at Redhill, being raised to squadron status on 9 November 1944 and disbanded on 5 May 1946. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

15 Apr 1944

Thorney Island

3 Oct 1944

B78 Eindhoven

12 Apr 1945

B112 Rheine/Hopsten

27 Apr 1945

B116 Wunstorf

29 Apr 1945

B154 Reinsehlen

5 May 1945

B156 Luneburg

10 Jun 1945

B164 Schleswigland

It reformed under BAFO on 1 October 1946 at an unknown location but its fate is unknown.

It reformed, again, on 7 September 1952 at Wahn and disbanded on 3 May 1958.

No 84 Group Communication Unit/Squadron

This was formed as No 84 Group Communication Flight on 15 July 1943 at Cowley, being raised to squadron status on 1 March 1944 and disbanded on 30 November 1947. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

29 Aug 1943

Gatwick

by 7 Oct 1943

Hutton Cranswick

by 16 Oct 1943

Doncaster

by 21 Oct 1943

Twinwood Farm

by 29 Oct 1943

Cowley

early 1944

Gatwick

1 Mar 1944

Cowley

1 Apr 1944

Redhill (Main)

7 Apr 1944

Merston (Rear)

12 May 1944

Westhampnett

20 Aug 1944

Old Sarum

2 Sep 1944

B29 Boisney

11 Sep 1944

B43 Fort Rouge/St Omer

26 Sep 1944

B61 St Denis Westrem

by 10 Oct 1944

B70 Deure

1 Dec 1944

B77 Gilze-Rijen

27 Mar 1945

B82 Grave

18 Apr 1945

B106 Twente/Enschede

by 25 April 1945

B61 St Denis Westrem

27 May 1945

B118 Celle

by 1 Aug 1945

B61 St Denis Westrem

No 85 Group Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed as No 85 Group Communication Squadron on 1 April 1944 at Castle Camps, moving to Heston on 3 June.  From here it operated detachments at B6 Coulombs, B61 St Denis Westrem, Northolt and Gatwick.  It was reduced to flight status on 29 May 1946 and was redesignated No 85 Wing Communication Flight on 1 July 1946.

It reformed from No 85 Wing Communication Flight on 1 November 1948 at Utersen and disbanded on 1 March 1950.

No 87 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 May 1945 at Buc, moving to Le Bourget on19 November 1945 and was redesignated No 87 Wing Communication Flight on 15 July 1946.

No 88 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from a detachment of No 116 Squadron on 7 May 1945 at Turnhouse, moving to Oslo/Fornebu on 9 June, to Gardermoen on 6 July, returning to the UK at Dunsfold on 14 November and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

No 91 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 6 Group Communication Flight on 11 May 1942 at Abingdon, moving to Swinderby on 9 April 1947 and was redesignated No 21 Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1947.

No 92 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 7 Group Communication Flight on 11 May 1942 at Bicester, moving to Little Horwood on 14 September and disbanded on 15 July 1945.

No 93 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 17 July 1942 at Lichfield and disbanded on 14 February 1945.

No 100 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 28 December 1943 at West Raynham, moving to Swanton Morley on 9 February 1945 and disbanded on 17 October 1945.

No 106 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 14 April 1944 at Benson and disbanded on 15 August 1946.

No 201 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 June 1943 at Mariut and disbanded into AHQ Eastern Mediterranean Communication Flight on 31 January 1944.

No 202 Group Communication Flight

This unit was possibly formed after August 1940 and was at Maaten Bagush in late 1940/early 1941 but probably disbanded in April 1941 when No 202 Group was absorbed into No 204 Group.

No 203 Group Communication Flight

This was formed by 17 August 1940 at Wadi Seidn, moving to Khartoum on 12 April 1943 and disbanded on 10 May 1943.

It reformed from  on 10 May 1943 at Heliopolis and was absorbed into AHQ Eastern Mediterranean Communication Flight on 1 March 1945.

No 204 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 14 April 1941 at Heliopolis, moving to Maaten Bagush the following day and was redesignated AHQ Western Desert Communication Flight on 9 October 1941.

No 205 Group Communication Flight

This was formed in January 1942 at LG20 under HQ Middle East Command, being transferred to NWAAF on 15 September 1943, then to No 334 Wing in July 1945 and disbanded in May 1949. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

xx Feb 1942

Bardia

10 May 1942

Ismailia

by 9 Mar 1943

Birel Gardabia

xx Jul 1943

Kairouan

xx Jan 1944

El Aouina

xx Mar 1944

Bari

by 21 Apr 1944

Tortortella

by 15 Jun 1944

Foggia Main

xx Feb 1946

Kasfareet

xx Dec 1946

Fayid

It reformed from  on 7 June 1952 at Fayid, moving to Abyad on 21 August 1953 and disbanded on 1 December 1955.

No 206 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 17 June 1941 at Heliopolis and disbanded into AHQ Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 April 1946.

No 207 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from AHQ East Africa Communication Flight on 15 December 1941 at Nairobi, moving to Eastleigh on 22 January 1942 and was redesignated AHQ East Africa Communication Flight again on 16 November 1942.

No 210 Group Communication Flight

This was formed by September 1944 at Reghina and disbanded into AHQ Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Flight on 26 November 1944.

No 211 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 20 April 1942 at El Adem and disbanded on 17 September 1943.

No 212 Group Communication Flight

So far no details of this unit have been located

No 216 Group Communication Flight

This Group appears to have been served by the Middle East Communication Flight/Squadron

No 218 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 January 1944 at Hussein Dey, Algiers, moving to Maison Blanche on January 1945 and disbanded on 30 June 1946.

No 219 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 March 1946 at Mariut and disbanded on 1 December 1946.

No 221 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 12 March 1942 at Dum Dum and was redesignated AHQ Netherlands East Indies Communication Squadron on 1 November 1945. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

18 Aug 1942

Asansol

12 Dec 1942

Dum Dum

15 Dec 1943

Imphal

30 Nov 1944

No 2 Detachment - Yazagyo

6 Dec 1944

No 1 Detachment - Tamu

27 Dec 1944

No 1 Detachment - Taukkyan

28 Dec 1944

No 2 Detachment - Kaing

6 Jan 1945

Kalemyo

20 Feb 1945

No 1 Detachment - Maunubyin

7 Feb 1945

No 1 Detachment - Ondaw

xx Feb 1945

No 33 Corps Detachment - Sadaung

25 Feb 1945

Monya West

29 Apr 1945

Meiktila

6 Jun 1945

Mingaladon

No 222 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from SHQ Flight, Ratmalana on 25 March 1944 at Ratmalana and was redesignated AHQ Ceylon Communication Flight on 15 October 1945.

No 223 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 July 1942 at Peshawar, moving to Chaklala on 2 December but was back at Peshawar by 10 January 1944 and disbanded on 15 August 1945.

No 224 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from Communication Flight, AHQ New Delhi on 1 April 1942 at Willingdon and was redesignated AHQ Malaya Communication Flight on 1 November 1945. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

by Jul 1942

Dum Dum

by Jun 1943

Cox's Bazaar

5 Feb 1945

Chittagong

xx xxx 1945

Cox's Bazaar

10 Mar 1945

Akyab

xx Mar 1945

Maunubyin

xx xxx 1945

Comilla

xx Jul 1945

Yelahanka

9 Sep 1945

Baigachi

11 Sep 1945

Kalemang

26 Sep 1945

Kallang

It reformed on 31 August 1957 at Kuala Lumper, moving to Seletar on 6 April 1959 and disbanded on 1 October 1968.

No 225 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 July 1942 at Jakkur, Bangalore, moving to Yelahanka on 10 January 1944 and was redesignated No 2 (Indian) Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946.

No 226 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 6 September 1943 at Palam and disbanded on 31 July 1946.

No 227 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1943 at Juhu, moving to Santa Cruz by August 1943 then to Agra on 1 October 1944, where it was redesignated No 4 (Indian) Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946.

No 228 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 27 February 1945 at Alipore, moving to Barrackpore on 15 May 1945 was redesignated No 3 (Indian) Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946.

No 229 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 16 December 1943 at Palam disbanded into AHQ India Communication Squadron on 1 March 1947.

No 230 Group Communication Flight

This was in existence by April 1944 at Alipore, moving to Singarbil by May, then to Barrackpore by 19 November 1944, where it disbanded on 16 May 1945.

No 231 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 10 January 1944 at Red Road, moving to Alipore in March 1944 ceased operations/disbanded on 1 August 1945.

No 232 Group Communication Flight

This was formed from the RAF Element of the Allied Combat Cargo Task Force Communication Flight on 27 February 1945 at Comilla, moving to Mingaladon on 26 October, then to Rangoon by December, where it disbanded on 31 March 1946.

No 238 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on 20 April 1945 at Bilaspur and was redesignated No 238 Wing Communication Flight on 15 October 1945.

No 242 Group Communication Flight

This was formed on in November 1943 at Sidi Ahmed, moving to Taranto in December, Grottaglie on 30 December, then finally to San Vito on 1 April 1944, where it disbanded on 14 September 1944.

No 1 (Indian) Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 223 Group Communication Flight on 15 August 1945 at Peshawar, moving to Chaklala on 2 December but was back at Peshawar by 10 January 1944 and was redesignated AHQ Pakistan Communication Flight on 15 August 1947.

No 2 (Indian) Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 225 Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946 at Yelahanka, moving to Hindustan Airport, Bangalore on 1 June 1947 and disbanded on 30 September 1947.

No 3 (Indian) Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 228 Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946 at Barrackpore and disbanded on 31 May 1947.

No 4 (Indian) Group Communication Flight

This was formed from No 227 Group Communication Flight on 1 May 1946 at Agra and disbanded on 15 July 1948.

Gulf Communication Flight

This was formed from aircraft and personnel of No 152 Squadron when it disbanded on 10 December 1967 at Muharraq.  It absorbed into RAF Muharraq on 8 May 1968 but in October amalgamated with the local search and rescue flight to form the Gulf Communications and Search and Rescue Squadron, although it retained its own identity within the squadron and disbanded on 20 December 1970.

Gulf Communications Search and Rescue Squadron

This was in October 1968 at Muharraq to administer the Gulf Communication Flight, Search and Rescue Flight and Marine Craft Flight, which retained their individual identities.  The Gulf Communication Flight disbanded on 20 December 1970, resulting in it becoming just simply the Search and Rescue Squadron.

Helicopter Communications Flight

This was formed from an element of CFS Helicopter Squadron on 1 December 1960 at South Cerney, to provide transport facilities to the Corps Commander and Staff Officers of No 1 (BR) Corps to units in Germany.  It moved to Gutersloh on 5 January 1961 and disbanded on 31 October 1961.

Communication Flight/Unit, Heliopolis

This was formed from the Practice Flight on 1 June 1938 at Heliopolis as the Communication Flight, Heliopolis being renamed Communication Unit on 18 January 1940 and was redesignated No 267 Squadron on 20 August 1940.

High Commissioner's Flight

This was formed from the Military Governor's Flight of BAFO Communication Wing on 30 September 1949 at Wahn and disbanded in June 1955.

Home Command Communication Squadron

This was formed from Reserve Command Communication Squadron on 1 August 1950 at White Waltham, with a jet element being located at Odiham and was redesignated Flying Training Command Communication Squadron on 1 April 1959 when Home Command was absorbed into FTC.

Home Communication Flight

This was formed from the Inland Area Communications Flight on 1 February 1927 at Northolt, moving to Hendon on 16 April 1928 and being absorbed into No 24 Squadron on 10 July 1933.

AHQ India Communication Flight/Unit/Squadron

This was formed as HQ RAF India Communication Flight on 16 October 1928 at the Air Park, Lahore, from where it operated during the summer and Willingdon, New Delhi during the winter, it disbanded at Lahore in 1931.

It reformed on 9 October 1931 at Willingdon but continued to alternate between there (winters) and Lahore (summers) as before.  It was renamed AHQ India Communication Flight on 16 August 1940 and disbanded on 21 January 1942, its tasking being transferred to No 31 Squadron.

It reformed as AHQ India Communication Unit on 8 June 1942 at Willingdon, later moving to Palam and disbanded into ACSEA Communication Squadron on 30 September 1944.

It reformed from BAFSEA Communication Squadron on 1 March 1946 at Willingdon, moving to Palam in May 1946 and was redesignated Supreme Commander's HQ (Air) Communication Squadron on 15 August 1947.

RAF India Communication Flight

This was formed on 15 August 1947 at Mauripur to provide support to those RAF elements remaining in the country following the withdrawal of British forces.  Detachments were operated at Palam and Peshawar, disbanding in August 1948.

Inland Area Communication Flight

This was formed from South Eastern Area Communications Flight on 1 April 1920 at Northolt, a Coastal Area Element being added later.  From 22 May 1923 it was attached to No 12 Squadron but this changed to No 41 Squadron on 24 March 1924.  In November 1925 a Parachute Training Section was added but was transferred to the Home Aircraft Depot on 20 December 1928.  It was redesignated Home Communications Flight on 1 February 1927.

AHQ Iraq Communication Flight

This was formed from Iraq Training Flight on 30 December 1930 at Hinaidi, moving to Dhibban (renamed Habbaniya on 25 March 1938) on 9 January 1939 and was redesignated 'S' Squadron on 21 August 1939.

Communication Flight, Iraq

This was formed from a detachment of No 216 Squadron on 14 December 1940 at Habbaniya but its fate is unknown.

Communication Flight, Iraq/Communication Flight, Iraq and Persia/Communication Flight, RAF PAIFORCE/AHQ Iraq Communication Flight/Iraq Communication Flight

It reformed as Communication Flight, Iraq on 1 November 1942 at Habbaniya, being renamed Communication Flight, Iraq and Persia on 1 January 1943.  From 1 December 1943 it became known as Communication Flight, RAF PAIFORCE but on 1 July 1945 became AHQ Communication Flight, Iraq and Persia.  On 1 March 1946 it was renamed AHQ Iraq Communication Flight until 5 August 1954 when it became simply, Iraq Communication Flight and was redesignated AHQ Levant Communication Flight on 23 June 1955.

AHQ Iraq Command Communication Flight

This was formed by November 1925 at Baghdad until at least May 1928, after which its fate is unknown.

AHQ Italy Communication Squadron/Flight

This was formed as AHQ Italy Communication Squadron from Mediterranean and Middle Communication Squadron on 10 November 1945 at Marcianise, moving to Campoformido on 1 July 1946, where it absorbed DAF Communication Flight.  It moved to Udine on 15 August 1946, where it was reduced to flight status and disbanded on 27 September 1947.

Japan Force Communication Flight

This was formed in March 1946 at Hmawbi attached to No 96 Squadron, moving to Kai Tak on 28 April 1946 and disbanded on 1 June 1946.

Joint Services Staff College Flight

This was formed on 15 January 1947 at Booker and merged into the Bomber Command Communication Flight on 31 October 1952.

Communication Flight, Khartoum

This was formed by 5 February 1940 at Khartoum but its fate is unknown.

It reformed on 3 November 1941 at Khartoum and disbanded in May 1950.

The King's Flight

This was formed on 20 July 1936 at Hendon, moving to Benson on 15 September 1939 and disbanded on 14 February 1941.

It reformed on 1 May 1946 at Benson and was redesignated The Queen's Flight 16 November 1955.

Kuala Lumper Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 August 1952 at Kuala Lumper and disbanded into No 267 Squadron on 15 February 1954.

AHQ Levant Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1942 at Lydda and was redesignated Communication Flight, RAF Station Lydda on 1 June 1943.

It reformed from Communication Flight, RAF Station Lydda on 1 October 1945 at Lydda, moving to Aqir on 5 May 1947, then to Amman on 12 January 1948 and disbanded on 15 May 1948.

It reformed from Iraq Communication Flight on 23 June 1955 at Habbaniya, moving to Nicosia on 15 January 1956, then to Sharjah in 1957, where it disbanded on 1 April 1958.

Communication Flight, RAF Station Lydda

This was formed from AHQ Levant Communication Flight on 1 June 1943 at Lydda but reverted to the title AHQ Levant Communication Flight on 1 October 1945.

Maclean Mission Communication Flight

This was formed on 30 March 1944 at Bari under the control of No 334 Wing and disbanded on 30 September 1944.

Maintenance Command Communication Squadron

Until 1 May 1944 communication aircraft for Maintenance Command were provided by the Station Flight at Andover, when the Maintenance Command Communication Squadron was formed there, later being reduced to flight status.  On 1 August 1949 it absorbed the Staff College Communication Flight, reverting to squadron status and was redesignated Maintenance Command Communication and Ferry Squadron on 1 November 1960.

Maintenance Command Communication and Ferry Squadron

This was formed from Maintenance Command Communication Squadron on 1 November 1960 at Andover and disbanded into the Western Communication Squadron on 0 January 1900.

AHQ Malaya Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 224 Group Communication Squadron on 1 November 1945 at Kallang, moving to Kuala Lumper on 7 November 1945, leaving a detachment at Kallang.  Its tasking was transferred to RAF Far East Communication and it disbanded on 15 January 1947.

Communication Flight, Malta

This was formed on 1 February 1943 at Hal Far and disbanded into ASR & Communication Flight, Malta on 1 March 1943.

AHQ Malta Communications Flight

This was formed as the AHQ Malta Communications Flight, from the Communications element of the ASR & Communications Flight, Malta on 1 March 1944 at Hal Far, moving to Luqa on 2 January 1946 and was redesignated Malta Communication and Target Towing Squadron on 1 July 1954.

Malta Communication and Target Towing Flight

This was formed from AHQ Malta Communication Flight on 1 July 1954 at Luqa, moving to Ta Kali on 25 February 1958 and was redesignated Malta Communications Flight on 1 August 1963, when it lost its target towing element.

Malta Communications Flight

This was formed from Malta Communication and Target Towing Squadron, when it lost its TT element on 1 August 1963 at Ta Kali, moving to Luqa on 5 December 1963 and disbanded on 30 June 1968.

Mediterranean Air Command Communication Unit

This was formed from No 1478 Flight on 1 July 1943 at Maison Blanche and disbanded on 12 December 1943.

Mediterranean Allied Air Forces Communication Unit/Flight

This was formed as MAAF Communication Unit on 10 December 1943 at Maison Blanche, moving to El Aouina by 21 January and disbanded on 31 January 1944.

Mediterranean Allied Air Forces Communication Unit/Flight

It reformed as MAAF Communication Flight on by August 1944 at Caserta, moving to Capodichino in May 1945 and disbanded on 1 June 1945.

Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces Communication Flight

This was formed from NWACAF Communication Flight on 1 January 1944 at Blida, moving to Reghina on 1 May, Marcianise on 26 May 1945 and disbanded into Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Flight on 1 August 1945.

Mediterranean Allied Tactical Air Forces Communication Flight

This was formed from NWATAF Communication Flight on 1 January 1944 at Bari.  It then undertook a number of moves, to Capodichino in February, Osa in July, Veterbo on 15 July, Pian del Lago on 9 August,Malignano in October and finally to Perertila on 3 January 1945, where it disbanded on 6 July 1945.

Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron

This was formed on 1 February 1944 at Maison Blache, moving to El Aouina on 9 February, Capodichino on 3 April, then to Marcianise on 16 June , where it was redesignated AHQ Italy Communication Squadron on 10 November 1945.

Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron

It reformed from Middle East Communication Squadron on 10 November 1945 at Heliopolis to take over the duties of a number of Communication Flights in the area.  It moved to Fayid in May 1947, Shallufa on 25 October, back to Fayid two days later then to Kabrit on 15 March 1949, where it and was redesignated Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 June 1949.

Mediterranean and Middle East Special Transport Flight

This was formed on 1 June 1947 at Kabrit and was absorbed into Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 31 March 1949.

Metropolitan Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 510 Squadron on 8 April 1944 at Hendon.  It comprised 'A' Flight (Air Ministry Communications Flight), 'B' Flight ('Fly yourself' Flight) and 'C' Flight (Transport Command Communication Flight) and was redesignated No 31 Squadron on 19 July 1948.

It reverted to its original title on 1 March 1955 at Hendon and was redesignated No 32 Squadron on 3 February 1969.

Middle East Air Force Communication Flight

This was formed on 1 December 1949 at Ismailia, becoming HQ MEAF Flight on 15 March 1950 before moving to Nicosia in September 1954, where it and raised to squadron status on absorbing MEAF Special Communication Flight and C-in-C's Flight on 1 December 1954.

Middle East Air Force Communication Squadron

This was formed from MEAF Communication Flight, MEAF Special Communication Flight and C-in-C's Flight on 1 December 1954 at Nicosia, moving to Akrotiri on 14 May 1957, then to Khormaksar in April 1963, where it and was absorbed into No 21 Squadron on 1 June 1965.

Middle East Air Force Special Communication Flight

This was formed from Special Communication Flight on 1 September 1952 at Fayid and was absorbed MEAF Communication Squadron on 1 December 1954.

AHQ Middle East Communication Flight/Unit

This was formed by August 1939 at Heliopolis and was still in existance in May 1942.

Middle East Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 173 Squadron on 29 February 1944 at Heliopolis and disbanded on 27 June 1944.

It reformed from the Station Flight, Heliopolis on 31 May 1945 at Heliopolis and was redesignated Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 November 1945.

It reformed from the Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 June 1949 at Kabrit and disbanded on 30 November 1949.

It reformed on 1 October 1961 at Khormaksar, being reduced to flight status on 15 June 1964 and disbanded on 1 September 1967.

It reformed from aircraft and crews left following the disbandment of No 21 Squadron on 16 September 1967 at Khormaksar and disbanded into No 84 Squadron on 17 September 1967.

Middle East Transport Flight

This was formed in November 1941 at Takoradi and was redesignated Communication Flight, Takoradi in January 1942.

Military Governor's Flight

This was formed as part of the BAFO Flying Wing on 22 September 1947 at Buckeburg but its fate is unknown.

 Communication Flight, Nairobi

This was formed under AHQ East Africa on 17 April 1941 at Eastleigh and was redesignated Communication Squadron, RAF Station Eastleigh on 12 August 1942.

Near East Communication Squadron

This was formed on an unknown date at Nicosia, moving to Akrotiri on 14 May 1957 and disbanded on 1 April 1961.

AHQ Netherlands East Indies Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 221 Group Communication Flight on 1 October 1945 at Mingaladon, moving to Kemojoran on 17 October and disbanded on 21 August 1946.

Communication Flight, Nicosia

This was formed in June 1945 at Nicosia and disbanded on 15 September 1945.

Northern Communication Squadron

This was formed from No 23 Group Communication Flight on 1 October 1964 at Topcliffe.  A Bassett Conversion Flight was formed on 5 July 1965, with the squadron moving to Wyton on 6 January 1969, where it was redesignated No 26 Squadron on 3 February 1969.

RAF Northern Ireland Communication Flight

This was formed around October 1940 at Sydenham and disbanded on 31 March 1950. 

See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

about Oct 1942

Newtownards

by Feb 1944

Ballyhalbert

1 May 1944

Newtownards

by 1945

Sydenham

xx Sep 1945

Long Kesh

3 Dec 1945

Sydenham

1 Dec 1946

Aldergrove

 

Northolt Flight

This was formed in 1919 at Northolt, to provide refresher flying facilities to officers stationed at the RAF Depot at Uxbridge and disbanded into the South Eastern Area Communication Flight on 29 April 1919.

Northwest African Air Forces Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 1 February 1943 at Bone, moving to La Marsa on 24 August, then to El Aouina in December, where it disbanded into Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron on 1 January 1944.

Northwest African Coastal Air Forces Communication Flight

This was formed on 17 February 1943 at Maison Blanche and was redesignated Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Force Communication Flight on 1 January 1944.

Northwest African Tactical Air Forces Communication Flight

This was formed on in November  1943 at Bari and was redesignated Mediterranean Allied Tactical Air Force Communication Flight on 1 January 1944.

Overseas Staff College Communication Flight

This was formed on in September 1945 at Larnaca, moving to Ramat David by November and was redesignated RAF Staff College (Overseas) Communication Flight on in 1946.

PAIFORCE Communication Flight

See AHQ Iraq Communication Flight

Communication Flight, Peshawar

This was formed on 1 July 1942 at Peshawar but its fate is unknown.

Practice Flight, Heliopolis

This had formed by 1938 at Heliopolis and was redesignated Communication Flight, Heliopolis on 1 June 1938.

The Queen's Flight

This was formed from The King's Flight on 16 November 1953 under the control of No 38 Group  at Benson, being transferred to No 46 Group on 1 September 1972, back to 38 Group on 10 November 1975, to No 1 Group on 18 November 1983 and back to the newly reformed No 38 Group on 1 November 1992.  It was merged with No 32 Squadron to form No 32 (The Royal) Squadron on 1 April 1995.

Communication Flight, Ramleh

This had formed by 1937 at Ramleh and disbanded into AHQ Levant Communication Flight on 1 April 1942.

Reserve Command Communication Flight

This was formed from  on 1 February 1939 at Hendon, moving to White Waltham on 2 September and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

It reformed  on 10 September 1946 at White Waltham and was redesignated Home Command Communication Squadron on 1 August 1950.

HQ Rhodesian Air Training Wing/Group Communication Flight

This was formed as Rhodesian Air Training Wing Communication Flight  on 1 December 1946 at Kumalo, being retitled Rhodesian Air Training Group Communication Flight on 10 May 1948 and disbanded on 31 March 1954.

RAF and Army Communication Flight

This was formed  in early 1949 at Khartoum and disbanded into Station Flight, RAF Khartoum by 1 September 1949.

HQ RAF Communication Squadron/Flight

This was formed from HQ RFC Communications Squadron on 1 April 1918 at Berck-sur-Mer, being reduced to flight status in November.  On 11 November it moved to St Andre-aux-Bois, to Lechelle on 12 November but the same day moved to Estourmel.  It moved again to Aulnoy on 19 December, returned to Berck-sur-Mer on 3 February 1919 and finally to Bickendorf on 14 May 1919, where it disbanded on 12 September 1919.

RAF Communication Flight

This was formed from the Supreme Commander's HQ (Air) Communication Squadron on 1 December 1947 at Mauripur and Palam and disbanded on 30 June 1948.

RAF Staff College Flight

This was formed under the control of Wessex Bombing Area on 1 April 1922 at Andover and merged with Wessex Bombing Area Communication Flight to form Andover Communication Flight on 14 April 1927.

RAF Staff College Communication Flight

This was formed under the control of Technical Training Command on 24 June 1946 at White Waltham, being retitled RAF Staff College Flight on 10 September 1946, moving to Andover on 3 February 1948, where it disbanded into the Maintenance Command Communication Squadron on 1 August 1949.

RAF Staff College (Overseas) Communication Flight

This was formed from Overseas Staff College Communication Flight on 16 July 1945 at Ramat David, moving to Lydda on 16 September 1946 and disbanded on 0 January 1900.

RHAF Communication Flight

This was formed under the control of AHQ Greece on 1 March 1945 at Maleme, moving to Hassani by 26 May.  It was transferred to MACAF on 1 July 1945 and then to Greek control on 10 September 1946.

South Eastern Area Communication Flight

This was formed as HQ Flight, South Eastern Area in 1919 at Hounslow, moving to Northolt on 29 April 1919, where it absorbed the Northolt Flight to become the South Eastern Area Communication Flight and disbanded into Southern Area Communication Flight on 20 September 1919.

Southern Area Communication Flight

This was formed from South Eastern Area Communications Flight on 20 September 1919 at Northolt and was redesignated Inland Area Communication Flight on 1 April 1920.

Southern Communication Squadron

This was formed from the Bomber, Fighter and Coastal Command Communication Squadron on 1 April 1964 at Bovingdon and was redesignated Strike Command Communication Squadron on 1 January 1969.

Southern Rhodesia Communication Flight

This had been formed by 1943 at Belvedere but its fate is unknown.

Special Communication Squadron

This was formed in February 1950 at Kabrit, moving to Fayid on 19 February 1951 and was redesignated MEAF Special Communication Flight on 1 September 1952.

Special Transport Squadron

This was formed in No 205 Group on 1 December 1949 at Kabrit, taking over VIP transport and calibration duties the Middle East Communication Squadron and was redesignated Special Communication Squadron in February 1950.

Special Transport Flight

This was formed under HQ Mediterranean and Middle East on 1 June 1947 at Kabrit and was absorbed into the Mediterranean and Middle East Communication Squadron 31 March 1949.

Strike Command Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed from Southern Communication Squadron on 1 January 1969 at Bovingdon, moving to Northolt on 27 January and was redesignated No 207 Squadron on 3 February 1969.

Supreme Commander's HQ Communication Squadron

This was formed from AHQ India Communication Squadron on 15 August 1947 at Palam and was redesignated RAF Communication Flight on 31 October 1947.

SHAEF (RAF) Communication Squadron

This was formed from Allied Expeditionary Air Force Communication Squadron on 15 October 1944 at Heston, moving to Gatwick on 20 October 1944, then to Detmold on 11 July 1945, where it disbanded on 31 July 1945.

SHAEF Mission to Denmark Communication Flight

This was formed under 2nd TAF on 24 May 1945 at Kastrup was redesignated RAF Mission to Denmark Communication Flight on 15 July 1945.

2nd TAF Communication Flight/Squadron/Wing

This was formed as the 2nd TAF Communication Flight from the Army Co-operation Command Communication Flight on 1 June 1943 at White Waltham, being raised to Squadron status on 1 March 1944 and the to Wing status on 4 June 1945 but was redesignated BAFO Communication Wing on 15 July 1945.

2nd TAF Communication Flight/Squadron/Wing

It reformed as the 2nd TAF Communication Squadron on 1 September 1951 at Buckeburg, moving to Wildenrath on 1 December 1954 and was redesignated RAF Germany Communication Squadron on 1 January 1959. 

See table below for main movement details: -

Date

Location

24 Jul 1943

Hartfordbridge/Blackbushe

3 Apr 1944

Northolt

4 Sep 1944

Tronquay

7 Sep 1944

B48 Amiens/Glisy

14 Sep 1944

B56 Brussels/Evere

14 Jun 1945

Buckeburg

 

TAF (Burma) Communication Squadron

This was formed on 19 December 1943 at Comilla, with No 1 Detachment at Imphal and No 2 Detachment at Chittagong but was soon redesignated 3rd TAF Communication Squadron on 0 January 1900.

3rd TAF Communication Squadron

This was formed from TAF (Burma) Communication in late December 1943 at Comilla, with 'B' Flight attached to No 166 Wing (later No 902 Wing from 1 October 1944) at Chittagong from 19 December.  'B' Flight was transferred to No 904 Wing at Cox's Bazaar on 2 December and the Squadron HQ moved to Baigachi and was redesignated RAF Bengal/Burma Communication Squadron on 4 December 1944.

Communication Flight, Takoradi

This was formed from Middle East Transport Flight in January 1942 at Takoradi and disbanded in November 1945.

Technical Training Command Communication Flight

This was formed from Training Command Communication Flight on 27 May 1940 at White Waltham, moving to Wyton on 6 November 1945 and disbanded on 1 April 1964.

Training Command Communication Flight

This was formed by 1939 at Ternhill, moving to White Waltham on 12 January 1940 and was split in two to provide separate communication flights to Flying Training and Technical Training Commands on 27 May 1940.

Transport Command Communication Flight/Squadron

This was formed as 'C' Flight of the Metropolitan Communication Squadron on 8 April 1944 at Hendon, moving to Upavon in May 1946 as an independent unit.  Between 1959 and 1961 it was raised to Squadron status and disbanded into Western Communication Squadron on 1 April 1964.

Transport and Communication Flight

This was formed as part of No 21 Aircraft Depot by September 1939 at Henlow, later moving to Bouguenais, near Nantes and was probably lost during the fall of France.

Transport and Communication Flight

It reformed from the Twin Pioneer element of No 230 Squadron on 1 January 1963 at Odiham and disbanded into the Short-Range Conversion Unit on in August 1964.

Transport Flight

This was formed in No 233 Squadron in 1918 at Dover (Guston Road), to transport personnel across te Channel and disbanded on in 1918.

Wessex Bombing Area Communication Flight

This was formed on 12 April 1926 at Andover and disbanded into the Andover Communication Flight on 28 March 1927.

West Africa Communication Squadron

This was formed in No 114 Wing on 31 May 1944 at Waterloo, moving to Accra on 18 July 1945, absorbing No 1314 Flight on 1 September 1945 and disbanded into West Africa Transport and Communication Squadron on 1 November 1945.

West Africa Communication Squadron

This was formed from West Africa Transport and Communication Squadron on 1 October 1946 at Takoradi and disbanded in November 1947.

West Africa Transport & Communication Squadron

This was formed from the West Africa Communication Squadron on 1 November 1945 at Accra, moving to Takoradi on 15  July 1946 and was redesignated West Africa Communication Squadron on 1 October 1946.

Western Communication Squadron

This was formed from the Maintenance Command Communication and Ferry Squadron and the Training Command Communication Squadron on 1 April 1964 at Andover and was redesignated No 21 Squadron on 3 February 1969.

Communication Flight, AHQ Western Desert

See Desert Air Force Communication Unit

Communication Unit, Western Desert

See Desert Air Force Communication Unit

 

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]