Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Maintenance Units Nos 201 - 300


Prior to 1938 the RAF operated a number of support units tasked with the storage, servicing and repair of equipment but as the RAF expanded, the number needed increased and it was decided to adopt an standard nomenclature for these units, the term selected being 'Maintenance Unit' (MU).  Some existing units were redesignated whilst new ones would be formed in the forthcoming years.  Each MU was generally tasked with a specific role but a few were often responsible for a variety of tasks.

No 201 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 61 MU sub-site on 7 September 1942 as a Overseas Equipment Bond at Poynton under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Handforth on 2 September 1942, although No 6 Site at Handforth had been transferred to the USAAF on 9 July 1942.  It disbanded on 1 February 1944.

No 202 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 7 September 1942 as a Reserve Ammunition Depot at Longparish, near Andover under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded on 1 February 1955.

Sub-sites: -

Sub-site/Dumps Location Dates
Dump Harewood Forest ?
Sub-site Chilbolton 1 Apr 1950 - 24 Jun 1954

No 203 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1942 as an Equipment Park at Marners Road, Newark under the control of No 40 Group.  It disbanded on 1 November 1945.

No 204 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1942 as a Forward Holding Unit at Messers G Selwood's Factory, Harborough, Rushden under the control of No 40 Group.  It disbanded on 1 September 1945.

No 205 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 May 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Clifton Hall, Newbridge, Ratho under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Bishopbriggs on 15 August 1945 having been transferred to No 56 Wing on 4 September 1944.  It disbanded on 20 February 1946.

No 206 Maintenance Unit

This was originally planned to form on 1 March 1942 at Carnarvon but this was cancelled.

It was formed on 26 June 1943 as a Polish Air Force Mobile Equipment Park at Swanton Morley under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Hillingdon on 21 August 1944 was transferred to No 84 Group at RAF Northolt on 8 September 1943 as No 408 (Polish) ASP.

No 207 Maintenance Unit

This was to have formed as an Equipment Park in April 1942 at Scunthorpe but formation never occurred.  It was again planned to form on 7 Sep 1942 as a Forward Ammunition Depot at Sharnbrook but again never came into being.  However it did form on 5 September 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Clark's Dyeworks Ltd, East Retford under the control of No 40 Group.  It disbanded on 1 October 1945.

No 208 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 August 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Golden Grove, Carms, later renamed  Llandilo, under the control of No 40 Group.  It was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and disbanded on 10 November 1945.

No 209 Maintenance Unit

This was to have formed at Bury St Edmunds on 1 March 1942 but formation was cancelled.  It eventually formed on 16 April 1943 as an Equipment Park at Broughton, near Brigg, Lincolnshire under the control of No 40 Group.  The station name was changed to Brigg on 18 October 1943 and it disbanded on 15 February 1946.

No 210 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 8 June 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Harefield Terrace, Romsey under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and it disbanded on 30 November 1945.

No 211 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 14 December 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Hyde Hall, near Sawbridgeworth under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and it disbanded on 30 September 1945.

No 212 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from 'A' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Wembley under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and it disbanded on 30 June 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Gravesend 1 May 1945 - 2 Jul 1945
Redhill 12 Jul 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 213 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1942 as a Marine Craft Servicing Unit at MacAllister's Yard, Sand Point, Dumbarton under the control of No 43 Group.  It relocated to Greenock and absorbed No 97 MU) on 1 October 1945, where it disbanded on 30 November 1947.

No 214 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from 'E' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Alexander South Docks, Newpor under the control of No 40 Groupt.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and it disbanded on 31 March 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Cardiff ?

No 215 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 21 March 1942 as a Packing Unit at Locharbriggs/Tinwald Downs, near Dunfries airfield under the control of No 53 Wing.  It disbanded on 24 September 1945.

No 216 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1942 as a Ground Equipment Depot at Sutton Coldfield under the control of No 55 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 31 December 1957. 

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Leicester East 15 Nov 1945 - 21 Jan 1946
Husbands Bosworth  7 Oct 1945 - 31 Jul 1950
Saltby 12 Dec 1945 - 10 Sep 1948

No 217 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from a sub-site, No 55 MU on 1 March 1942 as a Static Equipment Park at Ballymena under the control of No 40 Group.  It absorbed No 55 MU on 26 August 1943 and at some point operated a MT Servicing Unit at Holywood, which moved to Toome on 8 October 1945.  It disbanded on 1 February 1946, with the MTSU being transferred to No 257 MU.

It was reformed from Nos 244 and 279 MUs on 17 January 1955 at Cardington under the control of Maintenance Command.  On 26 November 1960 it changed tasking to a Gas Production Unit and then to a Compressed Gas Supply Depot on 1 December 1963.  Its final fate has not been determined but was probably still in existence until at least 1988.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Brafferton 1 Feb 1955 - xx xxx xxxx
Comberton Spinney (Lord's Bridge) 14 Feb 1955 - 16 Aug 1958
Riseley xxx xxxx - 31 Aug 1959
Wellingborough 17 Jan 1955 - 25 Nov 1960

Commanding Officers: -

13 Jul 1960                  Wg Cdr A S Harman

13 May 1963               Wg Cdr W T Wakeham

24 Oct 1966                Wg Cdr J Lee

16 Jun 1969                 Wg Cdr F C Airey

No 218 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 4 Aircraft Assembly Unit on 1 March 1942 as an Aircraft Erection Unit at Colerne under the control of No 43 Group.  It became a Secret Installation Fitting Unit on 25 August 1942 and disbanded on 29 February 1948.

No 219 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 7 April 1942 as a Reserve Ammunition Depot, later Ammunition Depot, at Gisburn, near Skipton under the control of No 42 Group.  It relocated to Settle in June 1944, where it disbanded on 20 May 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Great Orton (Storage Site) 4 May 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 220 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 April 1942 as a Reserve Ammunition Depot at Wortley, near Sheffield under the control of No 42 Group.  It was transferred to Service of Supply, USAAF on 1 October 1942.

It was re formed from 'H' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Store at Heath Hall Works, Dumfries under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 56 Wing on 4 September 1944 and it disbanded on 30 June 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Gibb Hill, Kirkcudbright 1 Nov 1945 - 30 Jun 1946
Wigtown 1 Dec 1945 - 30 Jun 1946
Locharbriggs (possibly) ?

No 221 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from 'R' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Ardwick, Manchester under the control of No 40 Group.  It disbanded on 1 May 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
No 1 - Ardwick ?
No 2 - Sheffield ?
No ? - Barlow near Selby ?
No ? - Stanley Street, Salford ?
at least 10 others ?

No 222 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 4 May 1942 as a Packing Depot at High Ercall under the control of No 53 Wing.  It disbanded on 24 September 1945.

No 223 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 March 1943 as a Forward Ammunition Depot  at Braybrooke Road, Desboroughunder the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 42 Group at some point and it disbanded  on 14 August 1943 with the station being transferred to the USAAF.

No 224 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1942 as an Air Ammunition Park at Kiplin Hall, Northallerton under the control of No 42 Group.  It relocated to Scorton on 1 December 1944, retaining Kiplin Hall as a satellite and disbanded into No 91 MU on 15 December 1947.

No 225 Maintenance Unit

This was formed, possibly from 'K' MU, on 15 July 1943 as a Ground Equipment Depot at Hornington Road, Warminster under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 28 August 1944 and then probably back to No 40 Group on 15 January 1947, it was reduced to depository basis on 30 April 1946 and disbanded on 1 May 1955.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Aviation Fuel Depot/Distribution Depot - Much Wenlock xxx xxxx - 13 Apr 1946

No 226 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 11 Repair and Salvage Centre on 1 July 1942 as a Repair and Salvage unit at Mallusk with a detachment at Aldergrove under the control of No 43 Group.  It disbanded on 30 April 1946.

No 227 Maintenance Unit

Authority was given for No 227 MU to form at Wandsworth on 4 August 1942 but there is no evidence that this took place.  It was formed from 'S' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Nottingham Ice Rink, Stoney Street, Nottingham under the control of No 40 Group, disbanding on 1 June 1946.

No 228 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 4 October 1942 as a Mobile Equipment Park at Swanton Morley under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Sachel Court, Dunsfold on 18 February 1943 and then Hascombe, near Godalming on 7 November 1943.  It disbanded into 2nd TAF as No 414 ASP on 29 November 1943.

No 229 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 4 October 1942 as a Mobile Equipment Park at Harrowbeer under the control of No 40 Group.  It disbanded into No 83 Group as No 401 ASP on 19 April 1943.

No 230 Maintenance Unit

This was authorised to form at St Austell on 4 Oct 1942 but formation was cancelled, it eventually formed from 'T' MU on 1 December 1943 as a Barrack and Clothing Depot at Providence House, Westgate, Wakefield under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 56 Wing on 4 September 1944 and it disbanded on 1 June 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Ludford Magna 5 Jan 1946 - xxx xxxx

No 231 Maintenance Unit

This was formed as a Forward Ammunition Depot, later Ammunition Depot, on 11 January 1943 at Hockering under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded into No 94 MU on 27 January 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Attlebridge 15 Jul 1945 - 27 Jan 1948
Old Buckenham 28 May 1945 - 27 Jan 1948
Rackheath 15 Jul 1945 - 27 Jan 1948

No 232 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 12 November 1942 as a MT Reception Depot at 99 Wood Lane, White City, London WC2 under the control of No 40 Group.  Its tasking was changed to MT Storage Unit on 21 January 1944 and on 28 August 1944 it was transferred to the control No 57 Wing.  It became a Transit Centre in April 1946 with a sub-site at Stanmore Park until October and it disbanded on 31 March 1947.

No 233 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 5 June 1943 as a MT Servicing Unit at Market Stainton under the control of No 42 Group, later becoming an Explosives Storage Unit.  It relocated to Wickenby on 4 September 1948 and disbanded on 1 December 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Caistor 21 Feb 1945 - xxx xxxx
Goxhill 27 Mat 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 234 Maintenance Unit

This was possibly at Bures in September 1942 but no evidence has been found.

No 235 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 14 January 1943 as a Mobile Repair & Salvage Unit for aircraft, gliders and MT at Netheravon under the control of No 43 Group.  Its tasking was transferred to No 1 HGSU and disbanded on 25 March 1944.

No 236 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 2 MT Store (ex 'F' MU) on 23 February 1943 as a MT Reception Depot at Robinson's Garage, Montague Street, Kettering under the control of No 40 Group.  It was redesignated as a MT Storage Unit on 21 January 1944 and was transferred to No 55 Wing at some point before relocating to Grafton Underwood on 9 October 1945.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 15 October 1946 before probably reverting to No 40 Group on 15 October1947.  It disbanded on 31 July 1954.

It was reformed on 19 March 1956 as a MT Storage Unit at Cosford, being reclassified as a MT Supply Depot on 1 December 1963.  It disbanded in No 24 Group on 29 April 1966.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
High Ercall 8 Jun 1962 - xxx xxxx

No 237 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 March 1943 as an Equipment Holding Unit at North Front, Gibraltar.  It disbanded on 1 September 1946.

No 238 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 26 April 1943 as a Marine Craft Servicing Unit at Tewkesbury under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Mount Batten on 1 January 1946 and then Calshot on 17 October 1953.  Control was transferred to No 43 Group on 1 January 1946 and it absorbed No 82 MU on 1 January 1948.  It had probably been transferred to No 41 Group on 2 January 1956 and on 12 May 1961.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Collaton Cross 7 Feb 1948 - xxx xxxx
Colerne (storage of airborne lifeboats and ancillary handling trolleys) 1 Apr 1956 - 1 Jul  1958

Commanding Officers: -

24 Nov 1960               Wg Cdr L R Flower

No 239 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from RAF Bishopbriggs and No 14 Maintenance Sub-Unit on 4 October 1943 as a MT Servicing Unit at Bishopbriggs under the control of No 40 Group.  Control was transferred to No 56 Wing on 4 September 1944 and it disbanded on 15 July 1944.

No 240 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from RAF Chessington and No 3 Maintenance Sub-Unit on 9 November 1943 as an Equipment Holding Unit at Chessington under the control of No 40 Group, disbanding on 15 July 1944.

No 241 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 35 Maintenance Sub-Unit on 1 December 1943 as a MT Servicing Unit under the control of No 56 Wing at Norton, Sheffield.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 30 December 1949.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Chadderton 1 Dec 1943 - xxx xxxx
Huntroyd Park, Padiham 1 Dec 1943 - xxx xxxx

No 242 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 17 January 1944 as an Equipment Holding Unit at Lagens, Azores under the control of No 247 Group.  It disbanded on 28 February 1946.

No 243 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 February 1944 as an Air Ammunition Park at Kirknewton under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded on 7 February 1952.

It was reformed from Gas Factory on 1 January 1953 as a civilian manned gas production unit at Keith under the control of No 42 Group, disbanding on 17 January 1955.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Grangemouth (satellite) 1 Nov 1944 - xxx xxxx
Fordoun 1 Aug 1947 - 30 Sep 1950

No 244 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 February 1944 as an Air Ammunition Park at Connel under the control of No 42 Group.  It relocated to Cottam on 15 September 1944 and disbanded on 1 December 1945.

It was reformed from Air Ministry Gas Factory on 1 January 1953 as a gas production unit at Cardington under the control of No 43 Group.  It was amalgamated with No 279 MU to form No 217 MU on 17 January 1955.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Wellingborough 1 Jan1953 - 17 Jan 1955

No 245 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 January 1944 as a Packed Fuel Storage Unit at Bridleway Gate, Shrewsbury under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded on 25 October 1945.

No 246 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from RAF Bicester and the Forward Equipment Unit, Bicester on 1 January 1945 as a Forward Equipment Unit at Bicester under the control of No 55 Wing.  In February it was reclassified as an Equipment Transit Centre and by October 1946 was now a MT Servicing Unit.  It disbanded on 1 April 1949.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Hinton-in-the-Hedges 30 Nov 1946 - 430 Nov 1947

No 247 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 6 April 1945 as a Packed Fuel Storage Unit at Sawbridgeworth under the control of No 57 Wing, disbanding on 1 May 1946.

No 248 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 26 May 1945 as a Medical Equipment Depot at Chessington under the control of No 40 Group.  It was reclassified as as a Medical Supply Depot on 1 December 1963, disbanding on 1 April 1968.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Marsworth xxx xxxx - 28 Jul 1948
Quedgeley 1 Oct 1957 - xxx xxxx
Upavon 1 Nov 1951 - 1 Oct 1957

No 249 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 27 May 1945 as an Air Ammunition Park (later Ammunition Depot) at Great Orton under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded on 15 August 1953.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Annan 27 May 1945 - 15 Aug 1952
West Freugh xxx xxxx - Oct 1951

No 250 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 12 June 1945 as a MT Storage Unit at Bircotes under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946.  It disbanded on becoming a sub-site of No 61 MU on 31 December 1946.

It was reformed on 1 March 1957 as a MT Servicing Unit at Little Rissington under the control of No 40 Group and it disbanded on 31 October 1959.

No 251 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 July 1945 as a MT Storage Unit at Pucklechurch under the control of No 57 Wing and disbanded on 31 December 1946.

No 252 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 July 1945 as a MT Storage Unit at Titchfield under the control of No 57 Wing and disbanded on 31 December 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Troston xxx xxxx - 1 May 1956

No 253 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 8 July 1945 as a MT Storage Unit at Spanhoe under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 15 April 1947.

No 254 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 Equipment Disposal Depot on 14 June 1945 as an Aircraft Equipment Depot at Balderton, probably under the control of No 40 Group.  It relocated to Bramcote on 15 January 1946 and then back to Balderton on 18 February 1946.  It disbanded on becoming a sub-site of No 255 MU on 8 July 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Planned Sub Site at Gamston from May 1946 (not activated)

No 255 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 4 Equipment Disposal Depot on 14 June 1945 as an Aircraft Equipment Depot (later reverting to an Equipment Disposal Depot) at Fulbeck under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded into No 93 MU on 30 November 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Balderton 8 Jul 1946 - 30 Nov 1948
Fiskerton 20 Nov 1945 - 30 Nov 1948
Leicester East 21 Jan 1946 - 5 May 1948
Saltby 12 Dec 1945 - 10 Sep 1948

No 256 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 7 Equipment Disposal Depot on 14 June 1945 as a Barrack Disposal Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot) at Barkston Heath under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 31 December 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Bottesford 1 Oct 1945 - 31 Dec 1948
Saltby 12 Dec 1945 - 10 Sep 1948

No 257 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 8 Equipment Disposal Depot on 11 June 1945 as a Composite Disposal Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot) at Toome under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 31 March 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Langford Lodge 12 Mar 1946 - xxx xxxx

No 258 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1945 as a Barrack & Clothing Disposal Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot) at Shipham under the control of No 55 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 18 November 1946. 

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Wendling 1 Jul 1945 - 14 Oct 1946
North Pickenham 10 Jul 1945 - 8 Jul 1946
Deopham Green 15 Nov 1945 - 18 Nov 1946

No 259 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1945 as an Aircraft Equipment Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot and ten Long Tern Aircraft Storage) at North Witham under the control of No 55 Wing.  It relocated to Woolfox Lodge on 1 August 1945 and then Peterborough on 29 April 1946.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 31 August 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Woolfox Lodge 23 Jul 1945 - 1 Aug 1945

29 Apr 1946 - 31 Aug 1948

North Witham 1 Aug 1945 - 31 Aug 1948

No 260 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1945 as a Ground Equipment Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot) at Errol under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 31 July 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Tealing 21 Aug 1945 - xxx xxxx
Findo Gask 6 Nov 1945 - xxx xxxx
Kinnell 6 Nov 1945 - xxx xxxx
Montrose xxx xxxx - 15 Jan 1947

by May 1947 - 31 May 1948

Stracathro 6 Nov 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 261 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1945 as a Ground Equipment Depot and Equipment Disposal Depot at Long Benton under the control of No 56 Wing with a satellite at Morpeth.  It relocated to Morpeth at some point in 1945 was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946, disbanding on 31 May 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Eshott 1 Oct 1945 - 1 Jan 1948
Holme-on-Spalding Moor 23 Jan 1946 - 4 Dec 1946
Riccall 23 Jan 1946 - 10 Sep 1946
Wombleton 15 Nov 1945 - 10 Jun 1946

No 262 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1945 as an Aircraft & Ground Equipment Depot (later Equipment Disposal Depot) at Eccles under the control of No 55 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 57 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 30 November 1948. 

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Deopham Green 18 Nov 1946 - 31 Dec 1947
Horham Oct 1945 - Mar 1946
North Pickenham 8 Jul 1946 - 20 Mar 1948
Shipdham 18 Nov 1946 - 31 Dec 1947
Snetterton Heath 20 Dec 1945 - 30 Nov 1948

No 263 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 26 November 1945 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Stansted Mountfichet under the control of No 57 Wing.  It relocated to Hitcham on 1 October 1947 and disbanded into No 94 MU on 31 December 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Troston 1 May 1946 - xxx xxxx
Hitcham 31 Dec 1945 - xxx xxxx
Standsted Mountfichet 1 Oct 1947 - 31 Oct 1948

No 264 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 August 1945 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Abbots Ripton under the control of No 57 Wing.  It disbanded on 30 September 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Alconbury 26 Nov 1945 - 30 Sep 1948

No 265 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 31 August 1945 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Cliffs Norton under the control of No 57 Wing.  It relocated to Kidlington on 1 October 1945 and then Grove on 4 March 1946.  It disbanded at Dunkeswell on 31 December 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Upottery 31 Aug 1945 - 31 Jul 1948
Baverstock ('B' MSU) 15 Nov 1945 - Jan 1947
Chipping Norton 1 Oct 1945 - 29 Oct 1945
Collaton Cross, Plymouth 22 Oct 1945 - 30 Jun 1946
Grove 15 Jan 1946 - 4 Mar 1946
Kidlington 4 Mar1946 - 31 Jul 1948
Dunkeswell ('D' MSU) due to form Aug 1946

No 266 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 January 1946 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Bramcote under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946 and it disbanded on 1 July 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Bitteswell xxx xxxx - Jan 1947

No 267 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1946 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Croughton under the control of No 57 Wing.  It was placed on C & M on 31 July 1948 and disbanded on 31 December 1948.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Dunkeswell 1 Nov 1946 - 31 Dec 1948
Upottery 1 Nov 1946 - 6 Sep 1948

No 268 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1945 as an Equipment Disposal Depot at Burtonwood under the control of No 56 Wing to store barrack equipment.  It relocated to Marston Moor on 18 February 1946 with control being transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946.  It disbanded on 31 December 1948. 

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Holme-on-Spalding Moor 4 Dec 1946 - 31 Dec 1948
Riccall 10 Sep 1946 - 31 Aug 1948
Wombleton 10 Sep 1946 - 31 Aug 1948

No 269 Maintenance Unit

This was to have formed on 1 October 1945 but formation was cancelled.

No 270 Maintenance Unit

This was to have formed on 1 October 1945 but formation was cancelled.

No 271 Maintenance Unit

This was to have formed on 1 October 1945 but formation was cancelled.

No 272 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1945 as a Flying Boat Long Term Storage Unit at Killadeas under the control of No 41 Group.  It disbanded on 28 February 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
St Angelo (No 105 Storage Sub Site) 1 Aug 1945 - 28 Feb 1947

No 273 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 July 1945 as an Aircraft Long Term Storage Unit at Polebrook with satellites at Deenethorpe and Glatton from 10 July 1945.  From 1946 it undertook the disposal of Stirling IVs and Vs, disbanding on 15 September 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Market Harborough (No 113 Storage Sub Site) Feb 1946 - 28 Apr 1947
Tempsford (No 115 Storage Sub Site) 29 Jul 1946 - 15 Sep 1947
Wratting Common (No 116 Storage Sub Site) 20 Jul 1946 - 15 Sep 1947
Husbands Bosworth? ?

No 274 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 October 1945 as an Aircraft Storage Unit at Swannington under the control of No 41 Group.  It operated a satellite at Downham Market from 1 October 1945 and disbanded on 11 November 1947.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Oulton (No 110 Storage Sub Site) 30 Oct 1945 - 28 Oct 1947
North Creake (No 111 Storage Sub Site) 12 Oct 1945 - Sep 1947
Little Snoring (No 112 Storage Sub Site) 17 Nov 1945 - Dec 1946

No 275 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 17 November 1945 as a Explosives Disposal Unit at Cairn Ryan (Stranraer), probably under the control of No 42 Group.  It relocated to West Freugh on 10 November 1947, where it disbanded on 14 April 1948.

No 276 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 7 January 1946 as an Aircraft Equipment Depot at Burtonwood under the control of No 56 Wing.  Control was transferred to No 55 Wing on 15 October 1946.  It was to have moved to Handforth in August 1949 but this didn't happen and it disbanded on 23 September 1950.

Commanding Officers: -

11 Apr 1947                Gp Capt M S Shapcott

No 277 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 29 July 1946 as a Explosives Disposal Unit (later Ammunition Depot) at Llandwrog under the control of No 42 Group.  It disbanded into a civilian manned sub-sit of No 31 MU on 14 September 1953.

No 278 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 May 1948 as a Repair and Servicing unit at Aldergrove under the control of No 43 Group.  It disbanded into No 23 MU on 1 September 1957.

No 279 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 April 1948 as a compressed gas storage and distribution centre at Cardington.  It was amalgamated with No 244 MU to form No 217 MU on 17 January 1955.

No 280 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1949 as a Explosives Depot (later Ammunition Depot) at Earsham under the control of No 42 Group.  Its task was to provide ammunition to the USAF in Europe and disbanded on 30 April 1954.

No 281 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 3 August 1949 as a Ammunition Depot at North Pickenham under the control of No 42 Group.  Control was transferred to USAF on 12 August 1954 and it disbanded as a RAF unit on 11 October 1954.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Little Snoring 3 Aug 1949 - xxx xxxx
Tuddenham 3 Aug 1949 - 12 Aug 1954

No 282 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 18 August 1952 as a Explosives Storage Depot at Bicester under the control of No 42 Group.  It relocated to Finmere in November 1952 and then Wing on 21 April 1954, being transferred to the USAF on 12 August 1954.  It disbanded as a RAF unit on 23 October 1954.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Finmere xxx xxxx - Nov 1952
Wing xxx xxxx - 21 Apr 1954

No 290 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 June 1953 as an Airborne Radio Serving Unit at Handforth under the control of No 43 Group.  Control was transferred to No 41 Group on 2 January 1956 and it disbanded into No 30 MU at Sealand on 1 April 1959.

No 291 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 March 1955 as an Airborne Radio Serving Unit at Stoke Heath under the control of No 43 Group, absorbing the ARS Section of No 30 MU.  It disbanded into No 24 MU on 1 June 1956.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]