Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Miscellaneous Training Units etc


This section will give brief histories of those ground training units providing training in a wide range of miscellaneous areas: -

Accountant Officers School

This was probably formed from the Accountant officer section of the Equipment and Accountant Officers School at some point before December 1941, by which time it was located at Bulstrode Park in No 27 Group.  By June 1942 it had moved to Grange-on-Sands in No 20 Group but by January 1943 was located at Stannington in No 28 Group.  It probably disbanded into the School of Administration and Accountancy at Hereford in late 1944.

School of Administration

This seems to have been formed between May and December 1939 at Gerrard's Cross in No 24 Group.  By July 1941 it had moved to Loughborough but before December it was located at Stannington in No 27 Group but had been transferred to No 28 Group by January 1943.   It probably disbanded into the School of Administration and Accountancy at Hereford in late 1944.  It appears to have reformed at some point after WW2 and by 1957 was located at Bircham Newton.   It is still in existence and in 2012 moved to Worthy Down as part of the Defence Logistics School.

School of Administration and Accountancy

This formed at Hereford, probably in late 1944 by amalgamating the Accountant Officers School, the Equipment Officers School and the School of Administration.  A disbandment date has not yet been found

 (No 1) School of Administrative Trades

The was formed at Kirkham in late 1944, probably by redesignating the School of Clerks, Accounting when it moved in from Penarth.  It was probably redesignated No 1 SAT in mid 1945 and moved to Wythall.

No 2 School of Administrative Trades

This was formed at Hereford probably in mid 1945 and existed there to at least January 1960

Aircraft Recognition School

This was formed on 17 May 1943 at Amarda Road, as part of the AFTU and its fate is unknown.

Air Crew General Service Training School

This was formed from The Air Crew NCOs' School on 1 May 1946 at Locking and disbanded on 2 April 1947.

Air Crew NCOs School

This was formed on 6 December 1943 at Whitley Bay, moving to Locking on 8 June 1945 and was redesignated the Air Crew General Service Training School on 1 May 1946.

Air Crew Refresher School

This was formed on 5 August 1942 at Royal Albion Hotel, Brighton, under the control of No 54 Group, moving to Norton near Sheffield in 1 July 1943.  It was transferred to No 21 Group on 1 November 1944 and disbanded on 26 July 1945.

Airfield Controllers' School

This was formed on 15 November 1942 at Watchfield, under the control of No 50 Group, when its parent unit, the School of Flying Control moved out of the station.  On 14 November 1943 it was reabsorbed into the SFC, when it returned to Watchfield and on 21 April 1947, control was transferred to No 25 Group and it disbanded on 1 May 1948 into the School of Air Traffic School.

No 1 School of Airfield Construction

This was formed at Locking in late 1943, probably by redesignating No 1 Works School.  It possibly disbanded into the Airfield Construction Depot post-war.

Air Force Department Fire Service School

This was formed on 28 February 1959 at Manston , to train civilian fire fighters employed by the RAF and was redesignated the RAF Fire Services Central Training Establishment on 1 January 1989.

No 1 School of Air Movement

This was formed from No 1 Air Traffic School on 15 August 1946 at Bramcote and disbanded on 1 December 1946.

Air Movements School

This was formed in 1976 at Brize Norton and probably remains in existence there.

School of Air Traffic Control

This was formed on 1 November 1946 at Watchfield, under the control of No 50 Group, being transferred to No 25 Group on 21 April 1947 and disbanded on 10 February 1950 into the Central Navigation and Control School.

No 1 Air Traffic School

This was formed on 3 January 1945 at St Mawgan.  It was transferred to No 44 Group, to No 4 Group by 1 January 1946 and the to No 22 Group on 20 July, being redesignated No 1 School of Air Movement on 15 August 1946.

The American Aircraft Training Party

This was formed on 5 May 1941 at Woburn Place, London WC under the control of No 24 Group, to train personnel operating aircraft of US origin but its fate is unknown

No 1 Balloon School

No 2 Balloon School

No 2 Balloon Training School

This was formed from No 2 Balloon School on 15 April 1918 at Lydd under the control of No 2 Balloon Training Wing.  It moved to Rollestone Camp on 31 July 1919, where it joined No 7 Group and disbanded on 30 August 1919 into No 1 BTS.

The Balloon Training Unit

This was formed from Winch Maintenance and Storage Section on 15 March 1945 at Cardington and disbanded on 1 August 1945.

No 1 Balloon Training Unit

This was formed on 1 January 1937 at Cardington under the control of No 24 Group.  It was transferred to No 30 Group on 1 April 1938, then to HQ Balloon Command on 10 January 1939 and disbanded on 25 November 1943.

No 2 Balloon Training Unit

This was formed from the Balloon Centre on 1 November 1936 at Rollestone Camp, Larkhill under the control of No 24 Group.  It moved to Cardington on 1 February 1939, where it come under the direct control of HQ Balloon Command, after which its fate is unknown.

No 1 Balloon Training Wing

This was formed on 21 January 1916 at Roehampton.  On 13 October 1917 it moved to No 331 Upper Richmond Road, Putney, then to Richmond Park on 15 February 1921 disbanded on 25 August 1919.

No 2 Balloon Training Wing

This had formed by December 1918 at No 331 Upper Richmond Road, Putney.  On 15 February 1919 it moved to Richmond Park to at least 1 May, after which its fate is unknown.

Bomber Command Armament School

This was formed from  on 1 August 1953 at Wittering.  Its task was to store the RAF's stock of Blue Danube atomic bombs and to train personnel in their handling. and was redesignated the Strike Command Armament School on 30 April 1968.

Bomber Command Strategic Missile School

This was formed on 3 January 1961 at Feltwell under the control of No 3 Group and disbanded on 30 November 1962.

Bombing Analysis School

This was formed on 5 July 1944 at Bruntingthorpe under the control of No 92 Group.  On 5 December 1944 it was absorbed into the Bomber Command Instructors' School, moving to Worksop on 1 February 1945, where it closed on 14 December 1945.

RAF School of Catering

This was probably formed in 1958 at Hereford.  When Hereford closed it probably moved to Halton, where it disbanded and was replaced by the Catering Training Squadron. (RAF), Defence Logistics School at Worthy Down

Catering Training Squadron

This was formed at Halton, from the RAF School of Catering and was later transferred to Worthy Down as the Catering Training Squadron. (RAF), Defence Logistics School

Central Examination Board

This had been formed at Grantham in Training Command on 1 February 1938.  On 27 May 1940 it was transferred to Flying Training Command and had moved to Twyford by July 1941, it was still in existence for a number of years after the war.

Central Link Trainer School

This was formed on 5 August 1940 at 14 Warwick Road, Elstree.  It moved to South Cerney in 1947 and then to Kirton-in-Lindsey on 1 April 1948, where it was absorbed into the Central Synthetic Training Establishment.

Central School of Instruction

This was formed in September 1918 at 80 Marina, St Leonards-on-Sea and disbanded on 21 January 1919.

The Central Visual Aircraft Recognition Instructors School

This was formed as the Aircraft Recognition School on 25 June 1943 at Juhu.   It was redesignated The Central Visual Aircraft Recognition Instructors School on 20 August 1943, moving to Ranchi in October and disbanded on 13 September 1945.

School of Clerks Accounting

This was formed at Cranwell in No 21 Group, probably in late 1938, but by July 1941, had moved to Penarth in No 24 Group.  In late 1944 it probably moved to Kirkham and was redesignated the School of Administrative Trades.

RAF School of Chemical Warfare and Fire Fighting

This was formed from No 2 Anti-Gas School and No 3 School of Fire Fighting on 1 February 1945 at an unknown location in the Middle East but its fate is unknown.

RAF Codes and Cypher School

This was formed on 28 September 1939 at Harberton House, Harberton Mead, Headington, Oxford, being placed in No 26 Group on 2 February 1940, then transferred to No 27 Group on 16 May 1941 and was redesignated No 5 Radio School on 1 January 1943.

Code and Cypher School

This was formed under the control of India Command on 1 October 1942 at Solan and disbanded on 31 May 1943.

Code and Cypher School

This was formed under the control of Middle East Command on This was formed under the control of  on 16284 at  and  on Heliopolis. at Heliopolis and disbanded on 31 July 1944.

Control Commission School (Air)

This seems to have formed in late 1944 in No 28 Group and probably disbanded in the early post-war period.

Controllers Training Unit

This was formed from the R/T Speech Unit under the control of Fighter Command an unknown date at Stanmore and disbanded on in December 1944.

Controllers Training Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1942 under the control of India Command at Calcutta and was redesignated Flying Control School on 31 October 1943.

School of Cookery

This had been formed at Halton in the early 1920s and by July 1927 had been retitled Commissariat and School of Cookery.  By July 1935 it was titled Supplies Section and School of Cookery, reverting to its original title by July 1937.  During the early part of the war it obviously expanded to cope with the increased demand for Cooks and at some point before July 1941 it was split into two separate schools, No 1 and No 2.

No 1 School of Cookery

This was formed at Halton in No 24 Group before July 1941 from half of the School of Cookery.  By June 1943 it had been transferred to No 28 Group and was still at Halton in 1957.

No 2 School of Cookery

This was formed at Halton in No 24 Group before July 1941 from half of the School of Cookery.  By January 1943 it appears to have been disbanded but by June had been reformed at Melksham in No 28 Group. By 1957 it was located at Innsworth but probably moved to Hereford in 1958 and was redesignated the RAF School of Catering.

School of Discussion Method

This was formed at Highgate in London, probably in late 1943 but no disbandment date has yet been found.

Equipment Training School

This was formed before July 1939 by redesignating the School of Stores Accounting and Storekeeping at Cranwell.  It seems to have been split into two sections by January 1939, with the airmen's section remaining at Cranwell, whilst the officers section returned to Kidbrooke (although in reality it may ever have left).

Equipment Training School (Officers)

This was formed before January 1939 from the officer section of the School of Stores Accounting and Storekeeping at Kidbrooke in No 24 Group, by which time it had moved to Little Rissington, still in No 24 Group.  It was probably renamed the Equipment and Accountant Officers School before July 1941.

Equipment and Accountant Officers School

This was probably formed by redesignating the Equipment Training School (Officers) at some point before July 1941, by which time it was located at Grange-on-Sands in No 20 Group.  It was probably split into two new schools, the Equipment Officers School and the Accountant Officers' School before December 1941.

Equipment Officers School

This was probably formed from the Equipment officer section of the Equipment and Accountant Officers School at some point before July 1941, by which time it was located at Grange-on-Sands in No 20 Group.  It was probably redesignated the Equipment Officers' School before December 1941.   By January 1943 it had been transferred to No 28 Group and moved to Stannington by June 1944.  It probably disbanded into the School of Administration and Accountancy at Hereford in late 1944.

Equipment Training School (Airmen)

This was formed before January 1939 from the airmen's section of the Equipment Training at Cranwell.  By July 1941 it appears to have been renamed the School of Equipment Training (Airmen) and was located in Bridlington in No 20 Group.  By June 1942 it seems to have reverted to its original title and by January 1943 had moved to Eastbourne in No 28 Group.  It had moved again by January 1944 to Weston-super-Mare and possibly disbanded into the School of Administration and Accountancy at Hereford in late 1944.

School of Equipment Training (Airmen)

See Equipment Training School (Airmen)

Far East Air Force Parachute Training School

This was formed from  on an unknown date at Changi? and was absorbed into the FEAF Survival and Parachute Training School on 1 July 1959.

FEAF Police School

This was formed on 1 April 1954 under the control of FEAF at Changi and disbanded in 1960.

Far East Air Force Survival and Parachute Training School

This was formed from FEAF Survival School and the FEAF Parachute School on 1 July 1959 at Changi under the control of No 224 Group, being transferred to HQ FEAF on 1 November 1960 and disbanded on 11 January 1971.

Far East Air Force Survival School

This was formed from  on 1 April 1956 at Changi? and was absorbed into the FEAF Survival and Parachute Training School on 1 July 1959.

Far East School of Joint Warfare

This was formed on 1 April 1966 at Seletar under the control of No 224 Group and disbanded on 31 March 1968.

Fighter Command Control and Reporting School

This was formed from  on 19 December 1945 at Rudloe Manor, moving to Middle Wallop on 12 January 1948 and was redesignated School of Fighter Plotting on 30 September 1957.

School of Fighter Control

This was formed from School of Control and Reporting on 9 September 1957 at Hope Cove in No 81 Group.  It was transferred to No 11 Group on 23 March 1958, moving to Sopley on 31 October 1958 and it flying element was closed on 18 April 1960 but whether it closed is not confirmed.

School of Fighter Control

This was formed from RAF School of Flying Control on 1 October 1968 at Bawdsey, moving to West Drayton on 31 October 1974 and then to Boulmer, where it is still in existence as the RAF School of Fighter Control.

Fighter Controllers Training School

This was formed on 1 August 1942 under the control of Middle East Command at Heliopolis and was redesignated Middle East Flying Control School on 31 October 1944.

School of Fighter Plotting

This was formed on 30 September 1957 at Middle Wallop under the control of No 81 Group and disbanded on 1 March 1958.

No 2 Filter Training School

This was formed on 1 September 1944 under the control of BAFSEA at Bombay and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

Middle East Filter Training School

This was formed on 1 June 1943 under the control of  at Ismailia and disbanded on 31 October 1944.

RAF School of Fire Fighting

This was formed on 1 August 1943 at Sutton-on-Hull under the control of No 24 Group, being transferred to No 22 Group on 1 October,  It was absorbed into RAF Sutton-on-Hull on 26 February 1945 and was redesignated the RAF School of Fire Fighting and Anti-Gas on 15 November 1945.

No 3 School of Fire Fighting

This was formed from MAAF Fire Fighting School on 22 December 1944 at in the Middle East,  was redesignated the RAF School of Chemical Warfare and Fire Fighting on 1 February 1945.

School of Flying Control

This was formed from the Regional Control School on 15 December 1941 at Watchfield.  It moved to Bridgnorth on 15 November 1942, leaving a detachment at Watchfield to become the Airfield Controllers School.  On 14 November 1943 it returned to Watchfield, absorbing the Airfield Controllers School and was redesignated the School of Air Traffic Control on 1 November 1946.

School of Flying Control

This was formed on 16 August 1943 at Mauripur under the control of AHQ India and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

Flying Control Centre

This was formed from Flying Control School in April 1945 under the control of No 223 Group at Karachi and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

Flying Control School

This was formed from the Controllers Training School on 31 October 1943 under the control of AHQ India at Mauripur.  It was transferred to No 226 Group in March/April, to No 229 Group in April/May, then to No 223 Group and moving to Karachi by January 1945 and was redesignated Flying Control Centre in April 1945.

Middle East Flying Control School

This was formed from Fighter Controllers Training School on 31 October 1943 under the control of No 206 Group at Heliopolis and disbanded post January 1945.

Flying Training Command Instructors School

This was formed on 21 October 1942 at Brize Norton, as a ground based unit to teach instructional techniques to prospective instructors.  It moved to North Luffenham on 1 March 1944, then returned to Brize Norton on 16 October before moving to Wittering on 17 December 1945 and finally to South Cerney on 24 May 1946, where it disbanded on 28 February 1947.

No 1 Free Balloon Scholl

This was formed from the RFC Free Balloon Section on 15 April 1918 at the Polo Ground, Hurlingham, moving to Roehampton on 31 January 1919, where it disbanded in September 1919.

School of Hygiene

This appears to have been formed at Halton in No 28 Group between June 1942 and January 1943.  It seems to have been part of the Medical Training Establishment and Depot from at least 1946 to March 1948.  From 1951 to 1955 it was at RAF Freckleton but in January 1956 it was redesignated the RAF Institute of Community Medicine.

RAF Intelligence School

This was formed at Highgate in London, probably in late 1943 and was certainly in existence until at least 1955.

No 1 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed between June and December 1944 under the control of No 24 Group at Cosfordto train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded post January 1945.

No 2 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed in September 1944 under the control of  at Heliopolisto train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded on 31 January 1946.

No 3 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed in December 1944 under the control of  at Saharanpur, moving to Adgodito train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded in February 1946.

No 4 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed in November 1944 under the control of No 12 Group at Barton Hall to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded in August 1946.

No 5 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed between June and December 1944 under the control of No 23 Group at Church Lawford to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded post January 1945.

No 6 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed between June and December 1944 under the control of No 24 Group at Cosford to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded post January 1945.

No 7 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed on 1 November 1944 under the control of  at Heywood to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded on 28 February 1946.

No 8 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed on 1 January 1945 under the control of  at Leece, Italy to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

No 10 Instructors' School (EVT)

This was formed between June and December 1944 under the control of No 16 Group at Bircham Newton to train the instructors needed for the planned Educational and Vocational Training scheme.  Its aim was to assist in preparing airmen for demobilisation once the war was over and disbanded post January 1945.

School of Instructional Technique

This was formed on 1 April 1949 at Wittering in Flying Training Command.  It moved to Feltwell on 23 March 1950, to South Cerney in No 23 Group on 2 January 1953 and then to Hullavington on 7 July 1954, where it was transferred to No 25 Group on 18 November 1957 and disbanded on 2 April 1966 on being absorbed into the RAF School of Education.

Joint Forward Air Controller Training and Standards Unit

This was formed on an unknown date at Brawdy, moving to Finningley in 1993 as part of No 6 FTS.  On 1 October 1995 it was transferred to No 100 Squadron at Leeming on the closure of No 6 FTS and is probably still in existence.

Kite Training School

This was formed on 27 May 1940 at Portsmouth in No 13 Balloon Centre and disbanded on 20 June 1941.

Marine Craft School (East Africa)

This was formed on 5 February 1944 at Kipevu and was redesignated No 2 Marine Craft School on 24 May 1944.

No 1 Marine Craft Training School

This was formed on 1 June 1942 at Corsewell in No 24 Group and at some point became simply the Marine Craft Training School.  It moved to Felixstowe in February 1947, Pembroke Dock on 29 January 1948, Calshot on 22 August 1949 and finally to Mount Batten, in No 19 Group on 1 October 1953, where it and was redesignated the Marine Craft Training and Support Unit on 1 April 1961.

Marine Craft Training School

See No 1 Marine Craft Training School

No 2 Marine Craft Training School

This was formed from the Marine Craft School (East Africa) on 24 May 1944 at Kipevu and disbanded on 24 June 1945.

No 1 Marine Craft Training School (MedME)

This was formed on an unknown date at Port Said and disbanded on 15 April 1946.

Marine Craft Training and Support Unit

This was formed from the Marine Craft Training School on 1 April 1961 at Mount Batten and was redesignated RAF Mount Batten on 1 August 1961.

Medical Training Establishment and Depot

This appears to have been formed before Jul 1941 at Harrogate in No 24 Group.  By June 1942 it had been transferred to No 20 Group and by June 1943 to No 28 Group.  It probably moved to Halton in the early post-war period and was still there in March 1948.

Mess School

Formation and disbandment details have not been found for this school but it was located at Spitalgate in 1957 and probably disbanded into the RAF School of Catering.

No 1 MT School

This was formed in Blackpool between July and December 1941 in No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 24 Group by January 1943 and had probably been absorbed into a School of Technical Training by January 1945.

MT Instructors School

This was formed Weeton between December 1941 and June 1942 in No 20 Group.  It was probably redesignated No 2 MT School before January 1943.

No 2 MT School

This was formed Weeton between June 1942 and January 1943 in No 240 Group, probably by redesignating the MT Instructors School.  It was probably absorbed into a School of Technical Training by January 1944.

No 3 MT School

This was formed in Pwllheli between July and December 1941 in No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 24 Group by January 1943 and had probably been absorbed into a school of Technical Training by January 1945.

No 4 MT School

This was formed in Morecombe between July and December 1941 in No 20 Group.  It was transferred to No 24 Group by January 1943 and was probably absorbed into a School of Technical Training by January 1944.

Oxygen Producing Training Unit

This was formed at Henlow in No 24 Group between January and June 1943, moving to Weeton between June 1944 and January 1945.  It was probably absorbed into No 8 School of Technical Training.

School of Physical Training

This was formed on 1 April 1918 at Cranwell, moving to Uxbridge on 15 May 1920 as part of the RAF Depot but was transferred to No 21 Group in 1925/1926.  On 1 May 1936 it came under HQ Training Command but was then transferred to No 24 Group by July 1937 and was closed shortly after the start of the war.

No 1 School of Physical Training

This was formed at St Athan in No 24 Group in 1940.  By January 1943 it had been transferred to No 20 Group, it was probably closed in late 1943/earrly 1944.  It reformed in late 1945/early 1946 at Cosford and in late 1946 it took over the tasking of No 1 School of PT at St Athan at which point it probably reverting to their title RAF School of PT.

No 2 School of Physical Training

This was formed at Cosford in No 20 Group in 1940.  It was probably closed in late 1943/earrly 1944.  It reformed in late 1945/early 1946 at St Athan but in late 1946 it was closed again.

No 3 School of Physical Training

This was formed at Loughborough in No 24 Group in 1941 but appears to have disbanded before January 1943.

RAF School of Physical Training

This formed at Cosford in No 28 Group, possibly in late 1944 but closed in early 1945.  It probably reformed in late 1946 by redesignating No 2 School of PT at Cosford.  In 1954 it moved to St Athan but then moved back to Cosford in 1977 and continues to operate to the present day (2016).

RAF Service Police School

This formed at Halton in 1919 as the RAF Service Police School, moving to Uxbridge in the 1937, where it was amalgamated with the Police HQ to form Service Police HQ and School, later being described as the RAF Police HQ and Training Centre.

RAF Police School

This was formed in October 1941 under the control of No 27 Group at RAF Uxbridge, moving to Weeton by September 1943 and was transferred to No 28 Group by January 1944.  In January 1946 it moved to Great Sampford but the following month the Police Dog training element moved to Staverton, where it was joined by the rest of the school in October.  It moved to Pershore in late 1948, with the Dog Section joining it in February 1951 but in February 1952 it moved to Netheravon and was redesignated RAF Police Depot on 1 February 1952.

It reformed from the RAF Depot in October 1974 under the control of  at Newton on moving from Netheravon.  In April 1994 the Dog Section moved to the Defence Animal Centre, whilst the school element moved to Halton and was redesignated RAF Police and Security Training School at the same time.

It reformed from RAF Police and Security Training School on 1 April 2004 under the control of  at Newton on moving from Netheravon.  In April 1994 the Dog Section moved to the Defence Animal Centre, whilst the school element moved to Halton and remains in existence.

RAF Police and Security Training School

This was formed in April 1994 by redesignating the RAF Police Depot on its move to Halton.  It reverted to the title RAF Police School on 1 April 2004.

R/T Voice Unit

This was formed between July and December 1941 at Cambridge, moving to Uxbridge by August 1940 and disbanded by July 1941.

R/T Speech Unit

This was formed under the control of Fighter Command in April 1940 at an unknown location and later moving to Stanmore as the Controllers Training Unit an unknown date.

RAF Fire Services Central Training Establishment

This was formed from the Fire and Rescue Training Squadron (Catterick) and the Air Force Department Fire Service School (Manston) on 1 January 1989 at Manston and was transferred to Army control as the Defence Fire Training and Development Centre in April 2007.

Safety Equipment Workers School

This formed at Sutton-on-Hull on 17 November 1942 and disbanded on 31 May 1943.

Service Security School

This was formed at Halton in mid 1940 but was disbanded later that year.

Senior NCOs' Course

This was formed on 25 January 1943 at Whitley Bay.   and was redesignated The Aircrew NCOs School on 6 December 1943.

School of Stores Accounting and Storekeeping

This was formed within No 1 Stores Depot at Kidbrooke in No 21 Group to train both officers and airmen.  In late 1932/early 1933 it moved to Cranwell but by January 1939 seems to have been split into two, with the airmen's section remaining at Cranwell whilst the officers had returned to Kidbrooke.  It is possible that the officers section never left Kidbrooke but it wasn't shown as a separate unit until January 1939.  By December 1939 it had officially split into two separate schools, with both having moved from Cranwell.

Strike Command Armament School

This was formed from the Bomber Command Armament School on 30 April 1968 at Wittering and was redesignated the RAF Armament Support Unit on 1 October 1971.

Synthetic Training Development Unit

This formed at Reading between June 1942 and January 1943 under the direct control of HQ Technical Training Command.  It was still in early 1945, after which its fate is unknown

Technical and Disciplinary School

This was formed between June 1942 and January 1943 under the control of India Command at Chakrata and disbanded between June 1942 and January 1943.

Traffic Control School

This was formed on 1 November 1944 at St Mawgan in No 44 Group and was redesignated No 1 Air Traffic School on 3 January 1945.

Training Aids Development Unit

This was formed by December 1944 at Cardington and its fate is unknown but existed to at least March 1946.

School of Training Organisation Method

Formation and disbandment details have not been found for this school but it was located at Spitalgate in 1957.

Voice Production Unit

This was formed under the control of Fighter Command between June and July 1940 at Cambridge and was redesignated R/T Voice Unit between July and December 1941.

No 1 Works School

This was formed at Locking in No 24 Group in early 1943 and was redesignated No 1 School of Airfield Construction in late 1943.

 

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]