Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Operations Centres etc


[Air Defence | Air Traffic Control | Other]

This section covers those units which acted as local control centres in Signals, Communications and operational control in the Air Defence and Air Traffic Control areas.

Air Defence Control/Tactical Control Centres

No 1 Air Control Centre

No.1 Air Control Centre (1ACC) began life as No.9 Signals Unit (9SU), which formed at RAF Rattlesden, Suffolk on 1 Nov 1964, comprising a US-manufactured AN/TPS-34 air transportable 3-D radar and associated equipment, to function as an Air Control Centre for redeployment overseas, primarily to the Near East Air Force.  The establishment provided for both fighter and SAM controllers.

The title of the Unit was officially changed from ‘No.9 Signals Unit’ to ‘No.1 Air Control Centre’ with effect 9 Sep 1965.  September also saw the Unit’s first overseas deployment, to RAF El Adem, Libya on Ex DAZZLE, a biannual inter-service exercise sponsored by the Chiefs of Staff Committee West of Suez.  On 1 November 1965, Full Operational Capability (FOC) for 1ACC was declared which, coupled with the lessons of recent exercises and the recuperation afforded by the Unit standdown, was about to be put to the test in Zambia during a period of heightened tension with Rhodesia.

On 2 Dec 1965, the 1ACC advance party flew to Nairobi, Kenya and then on to Lusaka, Zambia on 3 Dec, when the Unit equipment also started to arrive.  It was then moved to a suitable site on Lusaka airfield, with surveillance operations commencing on 8 Dec.  On 9 Dec, 4 Javelins from 29Sqn arrived at Lusaka from Kenya, with 2 aircraft immediately put on state, one at 10 minutes and the other at 30 minutes.  Following Rhodesia’s Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI), on 20 Dec oil sanctions were imposed, and as a retaliatory measure Rhodesia cut off the normal flow of oil to Zambia.  While few intercepts occurred, QRA activity kept the pace of operations busy until the withdrawal of the RAF force in early Sep 1966.

In early 1967, 1ACC relocated to RAF Wattisham, Suffolk, where it took over the site of the old "Anglia Radar" in 1967 and was forever known by Wattisham personnel as "Anglia site".  In the following years, in addition to exercises both in the UK and abroad, numerous radar deployments utilising UPS-1 and Marconi S259 2D radars as gap-fillers were conducted to permanent ADGE radar sites along the east coast and to Malta and Cyprus, though a full unit operational deployment did not occur.  This was partly due to the logistic burden which the newly-introduced GL161/TINSMITH Automatic Data Processing data handling, tracking and intercept calculation and display equipment brought, making deployment by air virtually prohibitive.  As an example for Ex CRAYON at Paramali, Cyprus in Apr 1968, 23 C130 Hercules aircraft were required to airlift the Unit’s equipment and 166 personnel.  Full deployments of 1ACC occurred in summer 1972 to RAF Leuchars in Scotland and summer 1973 to Predannack in Cornwall. On both occasions the complete unit including ANTPS 34 radar, GL161/TINSMITH equipment and all personnel was moved using Hercules and Belfast aircraft.  On 6 May 1977, 1ACC personnel deployed on Op DOCKER, forming No.1 Mobile Radar Unit (Germany) (1MRU(G)) along with British Army personnel, utilising AD11 and AD12 radars.  Operations ceased on 15 Oct, and the final detachment of 1ACC personnel returned to Wattisham on 31 Oct 1977.

In Jun 1979, 1ACC took up residence at the Chemical Defence Establishment Nancekuke, Cornwall; reactivated as RAF Portreath on 1 Oct 1980.  At the same time as the Unit arrived, a Marconi Type 88/89 Mk2 radar convoy was received, and integrated into the GL161 COMPACT system.  The Unit’s remaining deployable S259 radar was despatched to Ascension Island in May 1982 to provide Air Defence early warning during the Falklands War, and on 24 Sep 1882 the title of No.1 Air Control Centre was changed to RAF Portreath.

On 1 Apr 1995, 1ACC was reformed at RAF Boulmer in Northumberland to fill the role of the Royal Air Force’s deployable radar and tactical Air C2 element.  Originally equipped with a Type 99 (AN/TPS-43) radar ‘liberated’ from the Argentinians in 1982, and Boulmer’s Type 93, the unit quickly reacquainted itself with the disciplines required for deployed air operations.  In 1997, 1 ACC became the first customer for the Type 101 radar, which marked a quantum leap in performance over the Type 99: the unit now operates two such systems.  During Dec 2002, 1ACC received the Thales-produced Tactical Air Control Centre (TACC), a system that has greatly enhanced 1ACC’s deployment and Battle Management capabilities. No.1 ACC now provides a tactical Air C2 capability that enables sustained 24-hour weapons control and air surveillance across a given operating area utilising radar and datalink information.  Having previously deployed to Cyprus, from May 2003 to Jan 2004, 1ACC was forward-deployed to the US-operated air base at Tallil in Iraq in support of Op TELIC, before rebasing to RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey in Lincolnshire in early 2005.  Following a 12 month period declared to the NATO Response Force, elements of 1ACC were deployed to Camp Bastion in Helmand Province, Afghanistan in late 2006, where they currently provide air surveillance and control capabilities across the south of the country in support of Op HERRICK and NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

Officers Commanding No.9 Signals Unit & No.1 Air Control Centre

No.9 Signals Unit 1964 - 1965

Sqn Ldr E L Horsfall                                         1 Nov 1964 – 28 Feb 1965

Wg Cdr J G Cooper OBE DFC                        1 Mar 1965 - 12 Apr 1965

Sqn Ldr E L Horsfall                                        13 Apr 1965 – 23 May 1965

Wg Cdr L S Marlowe OBE                             24 May 1965 – 8 Sep 1965

No.1 Air Control Centre 1965 - 1982

Wg Cdr L S Marlow OBE                                9 Sep 1965 – 6 Nov 1967

Wg Cdr E R Lacey DSO OBE                         7 Nov 1967 – 22 Dec 1769

Wg Cdr J F L Cowe                                        23 Dec1969 – 11 Feb1972

Wg Cdr R G Sparkes MBE DFC                     12 Feb 1972 – 3 Nov 1974

Sqn Ldr K H R Jones DFC                               4 Nov 1974 – 5 Jan 1975

Wg Cdr E R Lacey DSO OBE                          6 Jan 1975 – 19 Jun 1975

Sqn Ldr K H R Jones DFC                              20 Jun 1975 – 5 Dec 1977

Sqn Ldr W Hill                                                  6 Dec 1977 – 5 Jan 1978

Flt Lt S P Ivory BSC                                         6 Jan 1978 – 26 Mar 1979

Flt Lt D St J Chapman                                      27 Mar 1979 – 30 Jul1979

Sqn Ldr J J Walpole                                         31 Jul 1979 – 30 Apr 1981

Sqn Ldr R J Livingston                                      1 May 1981 – 23 Sep 1982

No.1 Air Control Centre 1995 – 2009

Wg Cdr E A Harris                                           1 Apr 1995 – 13 Jun 1996

Wg Cdr N J Gordon                                        14 Jun1996 – 17 Jan 1999

Wg Cdr M Greatorex                                       18 Jan 1999 – 18 Aug 2000

Wg Cdr M K Crayford                                    19 Aug 2000 – 19 Jul2002

Wg Cdr R W Jones                                         19 Aug 2002 – 16 Aug 2004

Wg Cdr G S Ware                                          17 Aug 2004 – 28 Jan 2007

Wg Cdr N A Dewar                                        29 Jan 2007 - 12 Dec 2008

Wg Cdr M A Presley                                        5 Jan 2009 -

Many thanks to Wg Cdr N A Dewar for supplying the above information.

For photos of this unit go to the entry in the Public area

Border Radar

This unit was formed as The Air Traffic Control Radar Unit at Boulmer in 1962.  It became operational on 14 May as a joint military/civil unit to provide ATC services to coordinate civil and military traffic. In May 1966 its name was changed to Border Radar and it remained operational until the late 1980s, when all Area Air Traffic Services were centralised between West Drayton in London and Prestwick In Scotland.                  

Eastern Radar

This unit was probably formed at Watton in or around 1966 and closed in the late 1980s.

Midland Radar

This unit was probably formed at North Luffenham in or around 1966, having originally been known as Air Traffic Control Radar RAF North Luffenham and closed after 1988.       

Northern Radar

This unit was formed at Lindholme in or around 1966.  It was originally known as Humber Radar and probably closed in the late 1980s.

Fighter Command Control Unit

This formed in No 11 (?) Group on 1 July 1950 and disbanded on 19 October 1954, location currently unknown.

No 3500 (County of Kent) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Margate in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.            

No 3502 (Ulster) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Edenmore in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.        

No 3504 (County of Nottingham) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Redhill Lodge, Nottingham in 1949 and disbanded on 10 March 1957.     

No 3505 Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Sutton-on-Hull in 1949 and disbanded after 1957. 

No 3506 (County of Northampton) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Peterborough in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.    

No 3507 (County of Somerset) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Bristol in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.              

No 3508 (County of Northumberland) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Long Benton in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.    

No 3509 (County of Stafford) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Stafford? in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.  

No 3510 (County of Inverness) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Inverness? in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.

No 3511 (City of Dundee) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Dundee in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.            

No 3512 (County of Devon) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Exeter? in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.     

No 3513 (County of Devon) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Plymouth in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.  

No 3602 (City of Glasgow) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Glasgow in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.           

No 3603 (City of Edinburgh) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Edinburgh in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.        

No 3604 Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at London in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.            

No 3605 (County of Warwick) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Castle Bromwich in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.

No 3608 (North Riding) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Stockton-on-Tees in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.

No 3609 (West Riding) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Yeadon in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.            

No 3611 (West Lancashire) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Liverpool in 1949 and disbanded in 1957.             

No 3612 Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Dyce in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.                

No 3613 (City of Manchester) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Manchester in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.          

No 3614 (County of Glamorgan) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Cardiff? in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.   

No 3617 (County of Hampshire) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Bournemouth in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.   

No 3618 (County of Sussex) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Eastbourne in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.       

No 3619 (County of Suffolk) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Ipswich in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.            

No 3620 (Country of Norfolk) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Norwich in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.           

No 3621 (North Lancashire) Fighter Control Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Blackpool in 1949 and disbanded in 1957.             

No 3700 (County of Middlesex) Radar Reporting Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Uxbridge? in 1949 and disbanded 10 March 1957.

No 3701 (County of Sussex) Radar Reporting Unit

This unit was possibly formed at Brighton in 1949 and disbanded after 1957.           

No 2 (Middle East) Forward Fighter Control Unit

This was formed on 30 December 1943 at Aleppo and disbanded on 29 February 1944.

No 2 (Middle East) Forward Fighter Control Unit

It reformed on 23 May 1944 at Neirab, Aleppo, moving to Helwan on 4 July and disbanded on 18 July 1944.

No 2 Radar Detachment

This was formed on 29 July 1944 at Almaza, moving to Neirab, Aleppo on 6 August, to Etimesut, Ankara, Turkey on 18 August, then back to Aleppo on 5 October, where it and disbanded on 1 November 1944.

No 3 Forward Fighter Control Unit

This was formed under the control of BAF between June and December 1944 at Isle of Vis and disbanded post January 1945.

Fighter Operations Room

This was formed  on 15 November 1943 at Feni and disbanded in March 1945.

Fighter Sector 'Z'

This was formed from No 211 Group at Amriya on 15 September1943 on its transfer from Middle East Command to NWAAF.  It was redesignated No 335 Wing on 6 October 1943.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Amriya and disbanded between December 1941 and June 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Beirut and was redesignated No 23 SOR between December 1941 and June 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Haifa and was redesignated No 24 SOR between December 1941 and June 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Heliopolis and was redesignated No 22 SOR by July 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Nicosia and was redesignated No 25 SOR between December 1941 and June 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Port Said and was redesignated No 12 SOR between December 1941 and June 1942.

Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between July and December 1941 at Tripoli and was redesignated No 14 SOR between December 1941 and June 1942.

No 25A Fighter Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Levant between July 1942 - January 1943 at Paphos and was reduced to numberplate basis by January 1944.

Fighter Sector Control

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 14 August 1941 at Fayid and was redesignated No 21 SOR on 1 February 1942.

(No 1) Filter Room (Type 'E')

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 1 December 1942 at Cochin.  It became No 1 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

(No 2) Filter Room (Type 'E')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group on 1 May 1943 at Cox's Bazzar.  It became No 2 Filter Room in February/March 1944, moving to Samader Bazaar by  January 1945 and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

(No 8) Filter Room (Type 'E')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group on 1 March 1944 at Jafna.  It became No 8 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 31 March 1945.

(No 9) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Colombo.  It became No 9 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

(No 3) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group on 1 March 1943 at Chittagong.  It became No 3 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 31 January 1946.

(No 4) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group on 1 January 1943 at Imphal.  It became No 4 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

(No 10) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group on 1 March 1944 at Trincomalee.  It became No 10 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

(No 5) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 1 June 1942 at Guindy.  It became No 5 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

(No 7) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 1 November 1942 at Kottapalem.  It became No 7 Filter Room in February/March 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

(No 6) Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 227 Group on 1 August 1942 at Hilltop, Bombay and disbanded on 31 August 1944.

(No 11) Filter Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Bengal on 1 September 1944 at Calcutta and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

(No 12) Filter Room

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group on 1 May 1944 at Silchar, later moving to Burma and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

Filter Room (Type 'F')

This was formed under the control of No 227 Group on June 1943 - January 1944 at Samader Bazaar and disbanded on January/February 1944.

No 17 Filter/Operations Room (possibly shown in some SD161s as No 107)

This was formed under the control of AHQ Bengal on 17 January 1943 at Ramu, moving to Comilla on 28 May 1943 and was redesignated No 10 Operations Room on 1 June 1943.

Ismailia Filter Room

A formation date for this unit has not been found but it became 12 Sector Filter Room in February 1944.      

No 12 Sector (Filter) Room

This was formed from Ismailia Filter Room under the control of AHQ East Mediterranean in February 1944 at Ismailia and disbanded on 31 March 1945.

North Western Filter Room

This unit was formed at Preston in August 1940 and disbanded in March 1942.        

No 1 Mobile Operations Filter Room

This was formed, probably under the control of 2nd TAF, in March 1945 at Sambre, Belgium and disbanded in December 1945.

No 2 Mobile Operations Control Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1943 and was redesignated No 483 Group Control Centre in 1944

No 483 (later No 83) Group Control Centre

This was formed from No 2 Mobile Operations Control Unit in 1944 under the control of No 83 Group to control the various Radar and Signals units within the Group.  It moved to the continent shortly after D-Day and by September 1944 was located near Brussels.  Following the Arnhem operation it was located at Erp, between Eindhoven and Nijmegen, where it took over the control of all the Group's aircraft, leaving the FDPs in the radar reporting role only.  In December 1944 it sent a detachment to Liege to work with US control centres and to control 83 Group aircraft operating in that area.  It disbanded on 31 March 1946.

No 484 (later No 84) Group Control Centre

This was formed in 1944 under the control of No 84 Group to control the various Radar and Signals units within the Group.  It moved to the continent on 8 August 1944 and had been redesignated No 84 GCC by November, when it was located at Wondelgem, near Ghent.  During this period it controlled operations in support of the landings on the island of Walcheren which began on 8 November.  By early 1945 it was located at Turnhout.  It disbanded in February 1946.

No 2 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Trincomalee and disbanded on 31 May 1945.

No 3 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Dumbulla, moving to Kankesanturai on 1 January 1945 and disbanded on 28 February 1945.

No 4 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 15 April 1943 at St Thomas Mount and disbanded on 22 January 1945.

No 5 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group on 18 May 1943 at Chittagong, moving to Kyaukpyu, Ramree Island on 10 February 1945, then to Madras on 2 June and disbanded in July 1945.

No 6 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Agartala, moving to Comilla in October 1944, to Feni on 6 December, then to Patinga on 9 December.  In 1945 it moved to Chittagong on 9 January, to Akyab on 12 January, then to Rangoon on 9 August, where it disbanded on 25 January 1946.

No 7 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group in May/June 1944 at Ramu, moving to Jorhat in April, to Dimapur on 24 August, to Imphal on 15 September, then to Tamu in No 221 Group on 15 October.  In 1945 it moved to Kan on 29 January, to Sinthe on 8 February, to Magwe in April, to Meiktila on 8 June disbanded on 26 August 1945.

No 8 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group in May/June 1944 at Silchar disbanded on post January 1945.

No 9 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group in in July 1943 at Imphal, moving to Tabingaung on 20 January 1945, to Sadaung on 11 February, to Dwelha on 9 April, then to Kwetnge on 20 April.  In May it made various moves to Kalaywe, Payagale, Zayatkwin and Mingaladon, before going to Rangoon in June, where it disbanded on 10 September 1945.

No 10 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed from No 17 Filter/Operations Room under the control of No 224 Group on 1 June 1943 at Comilla, moving to Ramu on 24 November, to Jalia on 25 February, to Samader Bazaar on 8 May, Chittagong on 3 June 1945 and to Sambre on 23 June, where it disbanded in June 1945.

No 20 Operations Room (Type 'G')

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group on 30 March 1942 at Colombo and disbanded on 15 April 1945.

No 21 Operations Room (Type 'C')

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Chittagong and disbanded post January 1945.

No 1 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq between June/July 1942 at Habbaniya, moving to Misurata in March/April 1943, to Reghaia (NWACAF) by January 1944 and was reduced to numberplate basis by February 1944.

No 1 Sector Operations Room

It reformed under the control of MEAF on 1 November 1950 at Ismailia and possibly disbanded in 1954

No 2 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq on 12 January 1943 at Helwan, moving to Mellaha, Tripolitania, 27 January 1943, to Tripoli on 16 March, then to Reghaia (NWACAF) by January 1944 and was reduced to numberplate basis by February 1944.

No 3 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq on 23 May 1942 at New Baba, moving to Meherabad, Teheran, on 27 December, Habbaniya on 18 January 1943, then back to Meherabad on 10 March, where it was reduced to numberplate basis and disbanded on 25 July 1943.

No 4 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq between December 1941 and June 1942 at Mosul and was reduced to numberplate basis in November 1943.

No 4 Sector Operations Room

It reformed under the control of RAF Middle East on 11 November 1943 at Cairo, moving to Aleppo on 15 December and was reduced to numberplate basis on 21 February 1944.

No 5 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ East Africa between February - March 1943 at Port Reitz and disbanded by January 1944.

No 8 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Malta in 1941 or March/April 1943 at Valetta and disbanded between June and December 1944.

No 12 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East on December 1941 and June 1942 at Port Said.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Port Faud between June 1943 and January 1944 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 13 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 January 1942 at Smouha.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Alexandria on 1 February 1943, where it was transferred to No 206 Group in April/May 1944, then to AHQ East Mediterranean in May/June and disbanded on 10 March 1945.

No 14 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 April 1942 at Tripoli and disbanded on 1 February 1943.

No 15 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between December 1941 and June 1942 at Hurghada.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Bur Amud in January/February 1943 and disbanded on 16 November 1944.

No 16 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East between June 1942 and January 1943 at Abu Zenima.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Ras Gharib by January 1943, to Martuba in January/February, to Cyrene in April/May and disbanded post January 1945.

No 17 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 3 December 1942 at Benina.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Driana on 28 February 1943 and disbanded on 24 July 1944.

It reformed under the control of RAF Middle East on 26 July 1944 at Almaza.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Aleppo on 3 August, to Izmir, Turkey on 17 August, where it was re-named 17 Radar Detachment on 19 August, after which it returned to the Middle East at Helwan and disbanded in October 1944.

No 18 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 July 1942 at the Middle East, moving to Gaza under AHQ Levant two days later and disbanded on 12 November 1943.

No 18 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from No 23 SOR under the control of RAF Middle East on 22 December 1943 at Almaza and disbanded on 9 March 1944.

No 19 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq on 1 August 1942 at Abadan and was reduced to numberplate basis on 9 March 1944.

No 20 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq & Persia between June 1942 and January 1943 at Shaibah, moving to Colombo in No 222 Group in February/March 1943.  It was reduced to numberplate basis by January 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

No 21 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 February 1942 at Fayid.  It was under AHQ Egypt by July 1942, moving to Shandur by 15 June 1942, then to Almaza on 2- December 1943 and was reduced to numberplate basis in January 1944.

No 22 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of AHQ Egypt between December 1941 and June 1942 at Heliopolis, moving to Almaza in January/February 1944 and was reduced to numberplate basis in March/April 1944.

No 23 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East in March 1942 at Beirut, moving to Gaza under AHQ Levant and was reduced to numberplate basis on 3 July 1942.

It reformed under the control of RAF Middle East on 31 August 1943 at Beirut and was reduced to numberplate basis on 21 December 1943.

No 24 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East between December 1941 and June 1942 at Haifa.  By July 1942 it was under AHQ Levant and disbanded on 15 February 1945.

No 25 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 March 1942 at Athalassa, Nicosia.  By July 1942 it was under AHQ Levant and disbanded on 30 June 1944.

No 29 Sector Operations Room

This was formed from the FSOC under the control of RAF Middle East on 10 December 1941 at Mersa Matruh and disbanded on 24 July 1944.

No 29 Radar Detachment

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 27 July 1944 at Almaza, moving to Aleppo on 4 August, to Izmit, Turkey on 16 August, to Babilkoy on 20 August, then to Yesilkoy, Istanbul on 24 August, after which it and disbanded.

No 33 Sector Operations Room

This was formed under the control of Middle East Command on June 1943 and January 1944 at Almaza, becoming non-operational by January 1944 but was operational again at Heliopolis by February, moving to Aleppo in February/March and was reduced to numberplate basis on June and December 1944.

Caledonian Sector HQ

This unit was formed at Branton Quarry near Edinburgh in No 12 Group on 9 October 1951 by redesignating Scottish Sector HQ.  On 1 February 1955 it amalgamated with Sector Operations Centre to become Caledonian Sector Operations Sector.

Eastern Sector HQ

This unit was formed at Horsham St Faith on 12 July 1946 from Norfolk and Lincolnshire Sectors in No 12 Group.  It moved to Coltishall on 13 January 1947 but disbanded on 11 March.  A new Sector HQ was formed at Neatishead on 14 July 1951 and amalgamated with Sector Operations Centre to form Eastern Sector Operations Sector in February 1955.                                                                                             

Essex Sector HQ

This unit was formed from the North Weald Sector as Fighter Sector HQ North Weald on 1 August 1945 in No 11 Group, being redesignated Essex Sector HQ on 1 November.  It disbanded into the Metropolitan Sector on 15 June 1946.

Lincolnshire Sector

This was formed as Fighter Sector HQ Digby under No 12 Group on 23 July 1945  becoming Lincolnshire Sector HQ on 1 November.  It had moved to Blankney Hall on 27 August but on 1 April 1946 it moved to Wittering, where it disbanded into Eastern Sector on 12 July 1946.

Malta Sector

This unit was formed at Valetta in 1 May 1952 and disbanded on 15 September 1952.

Metropolitan Sector HQ

This unit was formed at North Weald on 1 May 1946.  It later absorbed the Essex Sector and the South Eastern Sector, moving to Trimley Heath on 14 July 1947 and then to Kelvedon Hatch on 16 March 1953, where it was amalgamated with the Sector Operations Centre and was redesignated Metropolitan Sector Operation Centre on 1 February 1955.

Midlothian Sector HQ

This was formed at Turnhouse in No 13 Group on 1 November 1945 but disbanded 28 April 1946.

Norfolk Sector HQ

This was formed at Horsham St Faith in No 11 Group on 8 August 1945 but disbanded into Eastern Sector on 12 July 1946.

Northern Sector

This unit was formed at Linton-on-Ouse in No 12 Group on 1 December 1950.  It moved to Church Fenton in 1956 and disbanded on 21 November 1957.

Northern Sector Operations Centre

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found.

Orkneys Sector HQ

This was formed as Fighter Sector HQ Kirkwall in No 13 Group on 1 July 1945, being redesignated Orkneys Sector HQ on 1 November 1945 and disbanded on 8 April 1946.

Scottish Sector HQ

This unit was formed at Turnhouse in No 12 Group on 1 November 1949.  It moved to Branton Quarry near Edinburgh on 1 May 1950 in 1956 and was redesignated Caledonian Sector HQ on 9 October 1951.

South Eastern Sector HQ

This unit was formed from the Biggin Hill Sector at Bromley Common in 1 November 1945 and disbanded into the Metropolitan Sector on 15 June 1946.

Southern Sector HQ

This unit was formed at Nether Wallop in No 11 Group on 1 November 1945.  It moved to Middle Wallop on 10 April 1946, Sopley on 1 September 1947 and finally to Rudloe Manor on 14 July 1950, where it and disbanded in November 1957.

Southern Sector Operations Centre - Singapore

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found.

Western Sector HQ

This unit was formed as a Fighter Sector HQ at Exeter on 16 January 1945.  It was taken over by No 11 Group on 1 August  and retitled Western Sector on 1 November and disbanded on July 1946, being absorbed into HQ Southern Sector.

It reformed at Preston in 15 December 1950 and disbanded in October 1957.         

Yorkshire Sector HQ

 This was formed at Church Fenton on 1 November 1945, moving to Patrington on 21 July 1947.  It was redesignated Northern Sector on 1 December 1950.

Skeleton Operations Room

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 9 February 1943 at Cochin and disbanded in October 1944.

Skeleton Operations Room

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Cuttack and disbanded post January 1945.

Skeleton Operations Room

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group between June 1944 and January 1945 at Cholovaram and disbanded post January 1945.

Skeleton Operations Room

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 1 November 1942 at Vizagapatam and disbanded on 31 March 1944.

Air Traffic Control

No 1 Area Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of  on 1 July 1945 at Calcutta and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

No 2 Area Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of ACFE in May 1946 at Singapore and disbanded in May 1946.

Air Traffic Control Centre, Gloucester                                                                 

This unit was formed at Gloucester in 1956 and disbanded in 1960.

Air Traffic Control Centre, Hannover

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found

Air Traffic Control Centre, Preston

This unit was formed at Preston before 1951 and closed in 1975.

Air Traffic Control Centre, Uxbridge

This unit was formed at Uxbridge possibly in 1951 and closed in 3 April 1955, its role being taken over by Southern ATC Centre at Heathrow.

Air Traffic Control Centre, Watnall

This unit was formed at Watnall possibly in 1951 and possibly disbanded in 1955.

Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of No 229 Group in May/June 1944 at Karachi and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 1 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Jessore, being transferred to No 231 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 2 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Salbani, being transferred to No 231 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 3 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Digri, being transferred to No 231 Group in January/February and disbanded post January 1945.

No 4 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group on 1 March 1944 at Alipore, being transferred to No 231 Group in March/April, then to 3rd TAF in May/June and disbanded on 30 September 1944.

No 5 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Ranchi and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 6 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Baigaichi, being transferred to No 231 Group in March/April, then to 3rd TAF in May/June and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 7 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Imphal, moving to Tilihal in March/April 1944 and disbanded in December 1944/January 1945.

No 8 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Kumbhirgram and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 9 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Palel and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 10 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 221 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Silchar and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 11 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 231 Group by January 1945 at Dhubalia and disbanded post January 1945.

No 12 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 231 Group by January 1945 at Dalbhumgarh and disbanded on 30 November 1945.

No 16 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Agartala and disbanded in December 1944/January 1945.

No 17 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Fenny and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 18 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Comilla and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 30 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ Bengal between June 1943 and January 1944 at Amarda Road, being transferred to 3rd TAF on 19 December 1943, then to No 231 Group in March/April 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1944.

No 31 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 226 Group in February/March 1944 at Karachi,  and disbanded in December 1944/January 1945.

No 32 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 22 Group in May/June 1944 at Minneriya and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 33 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Jodhpur, moving to Arkonam in No 225 Group by January 1945 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 41 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 224 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Chittagong and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 42 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Allahabad.  It was transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, then to No 229 Group in May/June and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 43 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Delhi and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 44 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 226 Group in February/March 1944 at Jodhpur and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 45 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Nagpur.  It was transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 46 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Peshawar and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 47 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at St Thomas Mount, being transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 48 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Dum Dum and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 49 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Stanta Cruz, being transferred to No 227 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 50 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Mauripur and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 51 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Jharsaguda and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 52 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Ahmedabad, being transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, then to No 229 Group in March/April and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 53 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Yelahanka, being transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 54 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Maharajpur.  It was transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, then to No 229 Group in May/June and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 55 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India on 1 December 1943 at Hakimpet.  It was transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944, to No 227 Group in May/June and disbanded on 30 April 1944.

No 56 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Lahore.  It was transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 57 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Quetta, moving to Samungli in January/February 1944.  By January 1945 was in No 223 Group and disbanded post January 1945.

No 58 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Ambala and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 59 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Poona and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 60 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Risalpur and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 61 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India on 1 January 1944 at Begumpet and disbanded on 28 February 1944.

No 62 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India on 1 October 1943 at Cuttack, being transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded on 28 February 1944.

No 63 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Palem, being transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, to No 229 Group in May/June and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 64 Flying Control Section

This was formed from  under the control of AHQ India on June 1943 and January 1944 at Asansol, moving to Bishmapur in No 230 Group in April/May 1944 and disbanded in December 1944/January 1945.

No 65 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Aurangabad, being transferred to No 227 Group in January/February, moving to Juhu in April/May.  It was transferred to No 225 Group by January 1945 and disbanded post January 1945.

No 66 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Cochin, being transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, to No 225 Group in April/May and disbanded post January 1945.

No 67 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Trichinopoly, being transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 68 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India on 1 October 1943 at Vizagapatam, being transferred to No 225 Group in January/February 1944 and disbanded on 28 February 1944.

No 69 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India between June 1943 and January 1944 at Jiwani, being transferred to No 226 Group in January/February 1944, to No 229 Group in April/May and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 70 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of AHQ India in December 1943 at Bhopal and disbanded on June 1944 and January 1945.

No 71 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group on 1 November 1943 at Ratmalana and disbanded on 31 March 1944.

No 72 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Koggala and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 73 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Sigiriya and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 74 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at Vavuniya and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 75 Flying Control Section

This was formed under the control of No 222 Group between June 1943 and January 1944 at China Bay, moving to Dumbella in May/June 1944 and disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

No 1 Flying Control Station

This was formed under the control of AHQ Western Desert in June/July 1942 at Maaten Bagush and disbanded between July 1942 and January 1943.

No 1 Flying Control Station

It reformed under the control of AHQ Eastern Mediterranean in April/May 1943 at an unknown location and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 2 Flying Control Station

This was formed under the control of No 205 Group in June/July 1942 at Kabrit and disbanded between July 1942 and January 1943.

No 3 Flying Control Station

This was formed under the control of AHQ East Africa between July 1942 and January 1943 at Nanyuki and disbanded on an unknown date. No 1 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed from No 1 Flying Control Station under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Algiers, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Pomigliano in January/February 1944, to Foggia in February/March,  and disbanded in April/May 1944.

HQ Military Air Traffic Operations

This unit was formed as UK Air Traffic Services HQ with AHQ status administered by Fighter Command at West Drayton in 1 June 1959.  It was renamed HQ Military Air Traffic Operations at some point and disbanded in 31 May 2000.

Joint Air Traffic Control Centre, Singapore

This unit was formed at Singapore possibly in 1956 and possibly disbanded in 1971.

London Air Traffic Control Centre (Military)

This unit was formed at West Drayton in 1971.  It moved to Swanwick and probably became RAF Unit, Swanwick in 2002.

No 1 Regional Control Centre

This was formed under the control of No 71 Wing, AASF on an unknown date at an unknown location and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 2 Regional Control Centre

This was formed under the control of HQ RAF Component, BEF on an unknown date at an unknown location and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 2 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed from No 2 Flying Control Station under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Algiers, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Ghisonaccia, Corsica in January/February 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

No 3 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Blida, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Grottaglie in January/February 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

No 4 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Sidi Achmed, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Sidi Amour in January/February 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

No 5 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Malta, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Blida in January/February 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

No 6 Regional Flying Control Centre

This was formed under the control of NWACAF between June 1943 and January 1944 at Taranto, being transferred to MACAF on 1 January 1944, moving to Malta in January/February 1944 and disbanded in April/May 1944.

Regional Flying Control (Bastia)

This was formed under the control of MACAF on 1 May 1944 at Bastia, Corsica and disbanded on 31 July 1944.

Regional Flying Control (Cyprus)

This was formed under the control of AHQ Eastern Mediterranean on April/May 1944 at Athalassa, moving to Nicosia in December 1944/January 1945 and disbanded post January 1945.

Regional Flying Control (Cyrenaica)

This was formed under the control of AHQ Eastern Mediterranean on December 1944/January 1945 at Benina and disbanded post January 1945.

Regional Flying Control (Egypt)

This was formed under the control of No 219 Group/AHQ Eastern Mediterranean on April/May 1944 at Alexandria and disbanded post January 1945.

Regional Flying Control Centre (Iraq & Persia)

This was formed under the control of AHQ Iraq & Persia between June and December 1944 at Habbaniya and disbanded post January 1945.

Regional Flying Control Centre (Levant)

This was formed under the control of AHQ Levantin April/May 1944 at Ramlah and disbanded between June and December 1944.

No 1 Regional Control Station

This was formed under the control of AHQ Western Desert on 1 December 1941 at Maaten Bagush and was redesignated No 1 Flying Control Station on 31 March 1942.

No 2 Regional Control Station

This was formed under the control of No 205 Group on 1 December 1941 at Kabrit and was redesignated No 2 Flying Control Station on 31 March 1942.

Scottish Air Traffic Control Centre (Military)

This unit was formed at Prestwick in or around 1978 and closed in 7 December 2013, its duties being transferred to RAF Unit Swanwick.

Other Control Centres

Air Raid Report Centre

This was formed under the control of RAF Middle East on 1 April 1942 at Tel Aviv and disbanded on 31 December 1943.

No 1 (County of Hertford) Maritime HQ Unit

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found.   and was renumbered No 603 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn in 1999.                                                                

No 2 (City of Edinburgh) Maritime HQ Unit

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found.   and was renumbered No 600 (City of London) Sqn in 1999.                                                                    

No 3 (County of Devon) Maritime HQ Unit

Formation and disbandment dates for this unit have not yet been found.   and was absorbed into No 1 MHU in 1999.                                                                                                      

Ulster Maritime Support Unit RAuxAF

This unit was formed in Belfast in 1959 but disbandment has not yet been found.

Naval/Air Operations Room

This was formed under the control of No 225 Group on 7 October 1943 at Bombay, moving to Vizagapatam by January 1945 and disbanded on 28 February 1945.

No 60 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of  on 25 April 1945 at Algiers and disbanded on 31 May 1945.

No 101 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of ACSEA in April 1945 at Cuttack and disbanded in October 1945.

No 102 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of ACSEA in April 1945 at St Thomas Mount and disbanded in October 1945.

No 103 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of ACSEA in April 1945 at Korangi Creek and disbanded in October 1945.

No 104 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of ACSEA in April 1945 at Redhills Lake and disbanded in October 1945.

No 105 (General Reconnaissance) Operations Room

This was formed under the control of ACSEA in April 1945 at Santa Cruz and disbanded in October 1945.

This page was last updated on 01/12/17

         [Top of Page]