Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Ground Radar Stations in the UK, 1937 - 1945


The table below shows a 'full' listing of UK based ground based radar stations involved in the control and reporting role under the control of No 60 Group.

Name

Details

Aberleri

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station and opened between July 1942 and June 1943 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1944 it was on Care & Maintenance and probably closed before January 1945.

Amble

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Anstruther

This opened as the first CHL station (43A) on 1 November 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 72 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.

Appeldore

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Ard-Rudha-Mar

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.  It probably closed between July and December 1941.

Avebury

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It probably closed between July and December 1941.

Ballinderry

This station (27G) opened as a mobile GCI station in August 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Intermediate Mobile station and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  It ceased operations in September 1944 and by March 1945 it was a Type 8C GCI station on Care & Maintenance (Stage III).

Ballydonaghy

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Intermediate Mobile GCI Station and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing but it was used as a CHB station after April 1943, although the GCI station was under Care & Maintenance by January 1943.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1943 it was on Care and Maintenance and by March 1945 was a Type 8A GCI station on Care & Maintenance (Stage III).

Ballymartin

By January 1941 this was proposed as a CHL station as station 78A and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Ballywooden

This station (29G) opened as a mobile GCI station in August 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing.  By January 1943 it had become an Intermediate Transportable station but was due to be upgraded to Final standard by mid-August 1943.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and disbanded in July 1944. (Type 7)

Bamburgh

Work on this CHL station (41A) began in January 1940 as part of the second 'crash' programme and was operational by the end of February.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing and was commissioned during 1942/43 as a Tower station.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching, it had also been allocated 10cm Mk VI (T) equipment.  It was still operational in October 1945.

Bard Hill

It was commissioned as a CD/CHL station during 1942 and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 74 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was still operational in October 1945.

Barkway

This station opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 73 Wing.

Barrapoll

This station opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing, as a CHB station.  By June 1943 it was a Type 8C station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II) and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.

Barrow Common

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was available as a stand-by surface watching station only, operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.

Bawdsey

This was the site of the first CH station and was involved in the early development work on the system.  It was also one of the first five sites chosen in 1936 for the Intermediate Chain as both a transmitting (one 240 ft tower) and receiving station (two 240 ft towers).  It was retained as one of the sixteen sites in the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 26.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 22.69 and 27Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 it was both as CH (26) and CHL (26A) station with an Emergency Alternative MRU being proposed at Loftmans (26M) but it is not known if this was completed at the moment.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  Type 55  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment which was due to erected on a CH cantilever and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 3 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 55) station in October 1945.

Beachy Head

Work began in 1938 at the site of an 'Advance' CH station to provide additional coverage.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940, but by January 1941 it was a CHL station as station 07A.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Type 14 station with Type 273 Naval equipment.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting or controlled interception and was a stand-by surface watching station with CD/CHL and was operational with 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V and had been allocated high power transmitters.  Type 51  and Type 24.  By March 1945 it was a Type 16 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Beer Head

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a CMH (Type 13) station.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Bembridge

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 10A, under the control of No 76 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.

Bempton

Work on this CHL station (37A), originally known as Flamborough Head began in January 1940 and it was operating by the end of February under the control of HQ Fighter Command.  It was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940 and when  No 60 Group was split into Wings on 17 February 1941, it was allocated to No 73 Wing. At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Ben Hough

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 72 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.    It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Benacre

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 74 Wing as Covehithe.  It was renamed Benacre on ?  and was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Bexhill

At the end of 1942 it was in the process of being taken over by the RAF as a Type 12 station.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Birmingham

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Bishops Road

In 1941 this was planned to be a mobile GCI station (26G) but not further details have so far been located.

Blackgang

This was opened before January 1943 as a Mobile GCI Station but was due to be upgraded to become an Intermediate Mobile station by May 1943.  By January 1944 it was under the control of No 75 Wing and closed in August 1945.

Blackhead

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and opened under the control of No 79 Wing before the end of 1942, when it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed in January/February 1944.

Blankets Farm

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 74 Wing.  By January 1943 it was being held in reserve in case other stations became unserviceable due to enemy action.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Boarscroft

In 1941 this was planned to be a mobile GCI station (18G) but not further details have so far been located.

Bolt Tail

It was commissioned as a CD/CHL station during 1942 and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 78 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Boniface Down

At the end of 1942 it was being used by controlled interception (Surface).  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing and was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Borve Castle

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.   It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  By October 1945 it was also a CHB station being retained for Flying Control purposes only (Type 8)

Brandy Bay

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Branscombe

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 13 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.

Brenish

By January 1941 this could be the site proposed for station 85 and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  By October 1945 it was retained for Flying Control purposes only

Bride

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 62 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH and  had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed between June 1943 and January 1944.

Brighton/White Hawk

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was in the process of being taken over by the RAF as a Type 12 station.  It was on Care & Maintenance by June 1944 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Bristol

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Broad Bay

By January 1941 this could be the site proposed for station 85.   and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  By October 1945 it was retained for Flying Control purposes only

Bulbarrow Down

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Burifa Hill

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 70 Wing. 

Butt of Lewis

The was proposed as a CHB station  to be station 85A and may have became Eorodale or Islivig.

Butt of Lewis

The was proposed as a CHL station  to be station 85  and may have became Brenish or Broad Bay.

Canewdon

This was used as one of the first five sites chosen in 1936 for the Intermediate Chain as both a transmitting (one 240 ft tower) and receiving station (two 240 ft towers).  It was retained as one of sixteen sites Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 22.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 27Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 an Emergency Alternative MRU was being proposed at Cedars (22M) but it is not known if this was completed at the moment. On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing and was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Capel

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was manned by the Navy, operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V.

Carn Brae

At the end of 1942 this station was operating 10cm Mk V equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Carnaton

This site had been opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group and when No 60 Group was split into Wings on 17 February 1941, it was allocated to No 78 Wing.  It probably closed between December 1941 and June 1942.

Carsaig

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1942 and January 1943.

Castell Mawr

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1944 it was on Care & Maintenance and probably closed before January 1945.

Castle Rock

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 59 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Chapel Rame

At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk VI equipment.  Type 53

Chew Park

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It probably closed between July and December 1941.

Cleadon

It was commissioned in 1942 as a CD No 1 Mk V station and opened under the control of No 73 Wing by the end of 1942, when it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk V equipment.

Clee Hill

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Clett

It was commissioned during 1942 and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 71 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Cockburnspath

This opened as a CHL station (42A) on 26 January 1940 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.    On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 72 Wing and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944 and was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Cocklaw

By January 1941 this was under construction as a CHL station as station 47B and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 71 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching as well as being a part-time GCI station.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943. and was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Comberton

This station (11G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing, initially as a Transportable GCI station but was intended to become an Intermediate Transportable and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by the end of May 1943.  It was transferred to No 77 Wing between June 1942 and June 1943 and then to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  It ceased operations in August 1944 and by January 1945 it was a Type 7 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I)..

Compass Head

This is shown as in one document but as no further mention as been found, it may have been renamed.

Covehithe

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was renamed Benacre on ?

Crannock Hill

It was commissioned as a CD/CHL station during 1942 and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 71 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk V equipment.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Craster

At the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only, it had also been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 73 Wing and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Creignish

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 63A and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a CD No 1 Mk V station.  Type 52.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, it had also been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Cresswell

Work on this CHL station (40A) began in January 1940 as part of the second 'crash' programme and was operational by the end of February.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  Type 56.  By January 1941 this was a CHL station and was commissioned during 1942/43 as both a CHL (Tower) station and a CD No 1 Mk V station.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk V equipment.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 56) station in October 1945.

Cricklade

This station (31G) was initially a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  By January 1943 it was still an Intermediate Mobile station and was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Cromarty

This station had been opened by July 1940 and by January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 48A.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It probably closed between May and June 1944.

Crossmaglen

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Mobile Receiver Unit and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 9 (T) station on Care & Maintenance (Stage III).

Crustan

By January 1941 this was under construction as a CHL station as Station 72 and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Dalby

By January 1941 the layout of this station a CH station (79) had been done and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1944 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Danby Beacon

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 38.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 22.69Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve. 

Daventry

This station was possibly the BBC transmitter site and was probably taken over between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 73 Wing but no other details have been found so far.

Deerness

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 50A and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a CMH (Type 13)  station.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 51) station in October 1945.

Dengie

At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing.

Dimlington Highland

At the end of  1942 it was operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters. By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 73 Wing and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Dirleton

This station (16G) had opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 72 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by mid-June 1943.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  In October 1945 this station was operational as a Type 7 and or Type 21 GCI station.

Doctor's Corner

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  By January 1943 it was being held in reserve in case other stations became unserviceable due to enemy action.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Donna Nook

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Doonies Hill

Work on this CHL station (46A) began in January 1940 as part of the second 'crash' programme and was operational by the end of February.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 it was commissioned during 1942 as a duplicate CHL station.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk V equipment.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Douglas Wood

Authority for the construction of a Final CH station (45) operating on 22.69Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 55) station in October 1945.

Dover Hill

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  It probably close between June 1943 and January 1944.

Downderry

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 15 and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It was planned to be upgraded to CH, the upgrade being completed 1942/43.  By October 1945 it was also a CHEL station and was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Downhill

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 59A and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk V equipment and high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Drone Hill

Chosen as a possible Main Chain site it was selected in 1938 for a mobile CH installation in order to provide RDF coverage of the Forth-Clyde area.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  However, its temporary masts were dismantled in April/May 1939 and moved to Rosyth, for transfer to Netherbutton to cover Scapa Flow.  By January 1941 this was a CH station as station 42, coming under the control of No 72 Wing the following month.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Dry Tree

This had opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 78 Wing.  In October 1945 it was a CH station scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Dunderhole Point

At the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing and by March 1945 it was a Type 16 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Dunkirk

This was one of the first five sites chosen in 1936 for the Intermediate Chain as a transmitting station with a single tower.  It was retained as one of sixteen sites Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 02.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 22.69Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 operated an Emergency Alternative MRU at Cutballs (02M).  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing

Dunnet Head

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 49B operated by the Navy and does not appear in SD161 until around January 1944 under the control of 70 Wing.  By October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).  Type 57.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, manned by the Navy  and was operational with 10cm Mk III equipment.  It was still operational as a CHEL (Type 57) station in October 1945 and was also carried out technical training.

Dunragit

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Mobile GCI Station (34G) and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 72 Wing.  By January 1943 was on Care & Maintenance and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.

Dunwich

This opened as a CHL station (28A) on 1 January 1940 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as a Tower station.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Duriston

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Durrington

This station (01G) opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  It was initially a Mobile station but intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which it had become by January 1943.  Type 7, Type 11 and Type 21

Dymchurch/Newchurch

This was originally called Newchurch with construction underway in January 1941 as station 73 as an Intermediate CH station but the name was later changed (between June 1943 and January 1944) to avoid confusion with the nearby airfield of the same name.  This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.

Easdale

By January 1941 this was proposed as a CHL station as station 80A, but no other details have so far been found.

Easington

This opened as a CHL station (35A) on 19 December 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching as well as being a part-time GCI station.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945 or was absorbed into Patrington.

East Cliff

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

East Hill

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 74 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Intermediate Mobile station and was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By October 1945 this was a GCI station due to be placed on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Eorodale

By January 1941 this could be the site proposed for station 85A and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment and high power transmitters.  By October 1945 it was retained for Flying Control purposes only.

Exminster

This station (03G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It was initially a Mobile station but intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  However, by January 1943 it was still a mobile unit but was due to be upgraded to Final standard by the end of January.  By March 1945 it was a Type 7 and 21 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Fair Isle, Fair Isle North and Fair Isle South

By January 1941 these were CHL stations 53A (North) and 53B (South) operated by the Navy and does not appear in SD161 until around January 1944 under the control of 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 they were both dual-role stations engaged on air reporting and surface watching, manned by the Navy, both also having been allocated 10cm Mk III equipment.  Fair Isle II & III was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945 with Fair Isle III also being a CHEL (Type 50) station.

Fairlight

It opened as a CHL station (05A) before July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing. It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a CMH (Type 13)  station.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting, was available as a stand-by surface watching station and was operational with 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Flat Point

This station probably opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 78 Wing but no other details have been found so far.

Floors Beacon

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Folly

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Foreness 1 & 2

This opened as a CHL station (03) on 7 December 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  Also Type 13.  By January 1941 there were two CHL stations 03A (1) and 03B (2) with 03A being held in reserve.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Type 271(10cm) station.  At the end of 1942 it was a full time interception station and was operational with 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V.

Formby

Bu January 1941 this was under construction as a CHL station as station 64A and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed in February/March 1944.

Forth

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Foulness

This station (30G) opened as mobile GCI station between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 74 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Intermediate Mobile station and was due to be placed on Care & Maintenance, when the station at Sandwich became operational.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Fullarton (Heath)

This station (15G) had opened under the name St Quivox as a Mobile GCI station but when commissioned as a Intermediate Mobile GCI Station, under the control of No 72 Wing, its name was changed to Fullarton Heath.  By January 1943 it was still an Intermediate Mobile station and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944 and possibly closed before January 1945.

Gaitsip

This opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group but no trace has been found after this so far.

Gibbett Hill

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing. 

Gin Head

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Glenarm

This had opened by July as a CHL station (60A) under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Goldsborough

It was commissioned as a CD/CHL station during 1942 and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  Type 13, Type 52 and Type 57.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching as well as being a part-time GCI station.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Grangewood

This station probably opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 78 Wing but no other details have been found so far.

Great Bromley

This was one of the first five sites chosen in 1936 for the Intermediate Chain as a transmitting station with a single tower.  It was retained as one of sixteen sites Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 24.  The station was completed and calibrated by July 1938 and ready for operation following the decision to convert it to both a transmitting and receiving station.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 it was proposed to have an Emergency Alternative MRU to be located at Frating (24M).  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Great Orme's Head

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Greian Head

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Greyfriar

This station probably opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 78 Wing but no other details have been found so far, although it operated Types 12, 13 , 24 and 26.

Greystone

By January 1941 the site for this CH station 61 (to be re-sited from Kirkistown Castle) had been chosen and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Grimston Hall

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Grutness

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 56A operated by the Navy and does not appear in SD161 until around January 1944 under the control of 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching, manned by the Navy, it had also been allocated 10cm Mk III equipment.

Habost

It was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing and probably closed between March and April 1944.

Hack Green

This station (10G)had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing, initially as a Transportable GCI station but was intended to become an Intermediate Transportable and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by mid-June 1943.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 7 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Hampton Hill

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 73 Wing, initially as a Transportable GCI station but was intended to become an Intermediate Transportable and then a Final station.  On becoming an IT station it changed its name to Patrington Heath, probably between December 1941 and June 1942.

Happisburgh

This opened as a CHL station (31A) on 25 December 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 it was commissioned during 1942/43 as both a CHL Tower station and a CMH (Type 13)  station.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a full time interception station and was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  Happisburgh II was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Harley Crag

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Hartland Point

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching as well as being a part-time GCI station operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Hawcoat

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Hawkshill Down

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.

Hawkstor

This had been opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 78 Wing.  By January 1941 the was an 'Advance CH station as station 15M but was in reserve.  It was on Care & Maintenance by June 1943 and probably closed in April/May 1944.

Hayscastle Cross

This had been opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Hesta Geo

This is shown as having both Types 8 and 50 radars, but no other details have so far been found

High Street

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 28 with work beginning in 1938 of an 'Advance' CH station.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 27Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 an Emergency Alternative MRU was located at Hinton (28M).  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing and was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Highdown Hill

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was in the process of being taken over by the RAF as a Type 12 station and was operational with 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Hillhead

This had opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group (47) as an Intermediate CH station but was intended to become a CH station.    On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing and then transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Holbeton

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Hope Cove

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Intermediate Mobile GCI Station and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 78 Wing. By January 1943 it was a Mobile GCI station and was due to be upgraded to Final standard by May 1943.  In October 1945 this was a Type 7 station.

Hopton

This had been opened a CHL station (30A) by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  It later took over the CMH (Type 13) equipment from North Foreland and Kingswear.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk VI equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Humberston

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 73 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Huntspill

In 1941 this was planned to be a mobile GCI station (23G) but not further details have so far been located.

Hythe

At the end of 1942 it was in the process of being taken over by the RAF as a Type 12 station.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing and by March 1945 it was a Type 16 and 24 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Ingoldmells

Work on this CHL station was begun in January 1940 and it was operating by the end of February under the control of HQ Fighter Command.  However it may have been moved elsewhere or been renamed by July.

Islay

The was proposed as a CHB station  to be station 77, but no other details have so far been found.

Islivig/Islivick

By January 1941 this could be the site proposed for station 85A and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  By October 1945 it was retained for Flying Control purposes only

Kendrom

It was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing as a CD No 1 Mk V station.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It was on Care & Maintenance by June 1944 and probably closed before January 1945.

Kete

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting or controlled interception.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945. (Type 52)

Kilcharin

By January 1941 this was proposed as a CHL station as station 58A and opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment and high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944 and March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II). (also Type 52)

Kilkeel

By January 1941 the site for station 78 (CH) had been chosen and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Kilkenneth

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing as a CHL station with one source indicating that it was also commissioned as a CH station.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944 by which time it was on Care & Maintenance.

King Garth

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station and opened between July 1942 and June 1943 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It  was on Care & Maintenance by January 1943, being transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  It probably closed between then and January 1945.

Kingswear

By January 1941 this was under construction as a CHL station as station 14A to take over from West Prawle and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a CMH (Type 13)  station, which later moved to Hopton.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching as well as being a part-time GCI station and was operational with 10cm Mk IV equipment.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Kinley Hill

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.

Knights Farm

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  By January 1943 it was being held in reserve in case other stations became unserviceable due to enemy action.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

L Sharpness Point

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Lamberton Moor

At the end of 1942 this station was part of the Surface Watching Chain operating 10cm Mk V equipment and by June 1944 it was under the control of No 70 Wing

Langtoft

This station (08G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 74 Wing, initially as a Transportable GCI station but was intended to become an Intermediate Transportable and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by May 1943.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and by January 1945 was on Care & Maintenance.  In October 1945 this was a Type 7 station.

Leathercoats

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 this station was operating 10cm Mk V equipment, manned by the Army and had been allocated high power transmitters.

Lisnaskea

This station (28G) opened as as mobile GCI station between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing.  By January 1943 it had been upgraded to Intermediate Mobile standard and was due to be placed on Care and Maintenance, when the technical installation was completed.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and by March 1945 it was a Type 8A station on Care & Maintenance (Stage III).

Long Load

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Intermediate Mobile station.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Loth

By January 1941 this was in the final approval stage as station 48 (CH) and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  By June 1944 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Lydden Spout

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 this station was operating 10cm Mk V equipment, manned by the Army and had been allocated high power transmitters.

Mablethorpe

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Marks Castle

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Marsdon

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1942 and January 1943.

Maughold

By January 1941 this was proposed as a CHL station as station 62A, but no other details have so far been found.

May Island

At the end of 1942 this station was part of the Surface Watching Chain operating 10cm Mk V equipment and by June 1944 it was under the control of No 70 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Minehead

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Mossy Bottom

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1943 and January 1944.

Navidale

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  By January 1944 it was on Care & Maintenance and was probably closed in February/March 1944.

Neatishead

This station (21G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 74 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which it had become by January 1943.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and in October 1945 this was a Type 7/Type 21 station.

Netherbutton

Originally called Kirkwall, authority for the construction of a CH station (Station 50) operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  The temporary mast that had been at Ravenscar were transferred to the station in May 1939 and after assembly and testing the station was handed over to the RAF on 2 June.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 70 Wing.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Nevin

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

New Hunstanton

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Newchurch

See Dymchurch

Newford

This was planned as a mobile GCI station by November 1941 but was commissioned in 1942 as a Intermediate Transportable GCI Station (32G) and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 78 Wing.  By January 1943 it was still an Intermediate Mobile station and by March 1945 was a Type 8C station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Newtown Butler

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Mobile Receiver Unit and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 79 Wing.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably disbanded between June 1944 and January 1945.

North Cairn

This had been opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 60 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 72 Wing and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

North Foreland

It was commissioned during 1942 as both a CD/CHL station and a CMH (Type 13) station and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.    At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 60ft tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Northam

This station  and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  By January 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Northstead

This station (22G) opened in September 1941 under the control of No 73 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by mid-June 1943.  In October 1945 this was a Type 7/Type 21 station.

Northtown

In 1941 this was planned to be a mobile GCI station (17G) but not further details have so far been located.

Noss Hill

This had been opened as an 'Advance' CH station (54) by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group but was intended to become a CH station.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing and transferred to No 71 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Oldcastle Head

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Orby

This station (06G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 73 Wing.  It was initially a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which due to be achieved by the middle of February 1943.

Orford Castle

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 this station was operating 10cm Mk V equipment, manned by the Army and had been allocated high power transmitters.

Ottercops Moss

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 40.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 48Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Oxwich Head

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed in February/March 1944.

Parefield Cliffs

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Patrington

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  In January 1943 it was an Intermediate Transportable GCI station but was due to be upgraded to Final standard by the middle of February.  In October 1945 this was a Type 7/Type 21 station.

Pen Olver

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942 as both a CMH (Type 13) station and a Type 271(10cm) station.  Type 56.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk V equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 56) station in October 1945.

Pen y Bryn

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943, was still operational as a CHEL (Type 57) station in October 1945 and was also involved in providing technical training.

Pevensey

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 07.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 27c/s was given in March 1939  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 this was a CH station with an Emergency Alternative MRU at Chilley (07M).   On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Plymstock

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA) and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  

Poling

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 08.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  By January 1941 this was a CH station with an Emergency Alternative MRU at Angmering Park (08M).

Polruan

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Port A

The was proposed as a CHL station to be station 84A, but no further details have so far been found.

Port A

The was proposed as a CHB station to be station 84, but no further details have so far been found.

Port Errol

This station was opened between July 1943 and June 1944 under the control of No 70 Wing but no further details have so far been found.

Port Mor, Tiree

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing and probably closed between June 1942 and January 1943.

Prestatyn

This had been opened as station 54 by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group being allocated to No 77 Wing when No 60 Group was split into Wings on 17 February 1941.  Type 57.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II) but was still operational as a CHEL (Type 57) station in October 1945.

Rame Head

This had been opened as station 15A by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group being allocated to No 78 Wing when No 60 Group was split into Wings on 17 February 1941.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Ramsgate

At the end of 1942 it was in the process of being taken over by the RAF as a Type 12 station.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 75 Wing and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Ravenscar

This site was selected in 1938 for a mobile CH installation in order to provide RDF coverage of the Tyne area.  However, its masts were dismantled in April/May 1939 and moved to Rosyth, for transfer to Netherbutton to cover Scapa Flow.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment and does not appear to come under the control of No 73 Wing until around January 1944.

Rhossilli Bay

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment, although it isn't shown in SD161 until at least January 1945.

Rhuddlan

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Ringstead

By January 1941 this was under construction as a CH station as station 12 and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational in October 1945.

Ripperstone

This station (25G) opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 76 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which was due to happen by April 1943.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 this was a Type 7 station.

Roddans Point

By January 1941 this was proposed as a CHL station as station 61A, as a re-siting of the station at Ballycranmore and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 79 Wing on 27 September 1941 and then to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1944 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Rodel Park

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It appears to have closed by February 1944. 

Roecliffe

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Mobile GCI Station and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  By January 1943 it was still a Mobile station and was on Care & Maintenance by June 1944, probably closing between June 1944 and January 1945.

Rosehearty

Work on this CHL station (47A) began in January 1940 as part of the second 'crash' programme and was operational by the end of February.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Type 271(10cm) station.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 it was a CHL station scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II) but was still operational as a CHEL station (Type 54).

Russland

This station had opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 70 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Mobile station and in October 1945 was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Rye

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 05.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 27Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  By January 1941 this was a CH station with an Emergency Alternative MRU at Harvey (05M).  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve

Salcombe

In 1941 this was planned to be a mobile GCI station (35G) but not further details have so far been located.

Saligo

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 58 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH, the upgrade being completed 1942/43, under the control of No 72 Wing.  It was transferred to No 70 Wing on 15 May 1944.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Saltburn

It was commissioned in 1942 as a CD No 1 Mk V station.  At the end of 1942 it was available as a stand-by surface watching station only.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 73 Wing and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Sanday, Orkney

This was proposed to be built as Station 51A (CHL) by January 1941 but no evidence as been found to suggest it was completed.

Sandwich

This was commissioned in 1942 as a Transportable GCI Station (Type 7/Type 21) and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  By January 1943 it was due to be upgraded to Final GCI standard by April.  It was still operational in October 1945.

Sango

By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station 57 but it was planned to be upgraded to CH and was opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  By October 1945 it was also a CHL station and was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Saxa Vord

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 54A.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching, manned by the Navy, it had also been allocated 10cm Mk III equipment and high power transmitters but does not appear to come under the control of No 70 Wing until around January 1944.

Scarlet Point

By January 1941 the was an 'Advance CH station as station 63 but was planned to be upgraded to CH and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

School Hill

Originally called Stonehaven, authority for the construction of a CH station (Station 46) operating on 48Mc/s was given in March 1939.  Originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing.  It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational in October 1945.

Scousburgh

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 71 Wing.  It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Seaford

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Seaton Snook

This station (33G) opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing,  initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by early June 1943.  It was still operational in October 1945 (Type 7 and Type 21)

Sennen

Sennen website,

Sharpitor

This station probably opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 78 Wing but no other details have been found so far.

Sheffield

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Shipsea

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Shoreham

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Shotton

Work beginning in 1938 of an 'Advance' CH station at the site to provice additional coverage to the Main Chain but was opened as a CHL station (39A) on 24 December 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1942 and January 1943.

Skaw

This was opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group as an 'Advance' CH station (56) but was intended to become a CH station, the upgrade being completed 1942/43.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing and was transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Skendleby

This was opened as a CHL station (34A) by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was still operational as a CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Sopley

This station (02G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was initially a Mobile station but intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which it had become by January 1943.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational in October 1945.

South Ronaldsay

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 50B and was commissioned during 1942/43 as a duplicate station.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, manned by the Navy and was operational with 10cm Mk III equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 70 Wing and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 50) station in October 1945.

South Stack

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk V equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Southbourne

By January 1941 this was under construction as a CH station as station 10A with short masts and had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Spittal

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

St Agnes Beacon

At the end of 1942 it had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing.

St Anne's (Blackpool)

This station (36G) was planned to be a mobile GCI station and opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 77 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Intermediate Mobile station and was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943, was on Care & Maintenance by June 1944 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

St Anne's Head

It was commissioned in 1943 as a CD No 1 Mk V station and an Intermediate Transportable GCI station and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

St Bees

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.

St Cyrus

Work on this CHL station (45A) began in January 1940 as part of the second 'crash' programme and was operational by the end of February.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 71 Wing.  It was commissioned in 1942 as a CD No 1 Mk V station.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk V equipment.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943. and was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

St David's Head

At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk V equipment and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing.

St Lawrence

During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Remote Reserve and opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 75 Wing.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

St Margaret's Bay

This station probably opened betwwen June 1943 and January 1944,  under the control of No 75 Wing and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

St Marks Castle

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.

St Quivox

This station (15G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 72 Wing.  It was initially planned as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  On being upgraded to IM standard it changed its name to Fullarton Heath, probably between December 1941 and June 1942.

St Twynnell's

This was opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  Site (ii) was commissioned during 1942/43 with the original site (i) being released for Type 9000 use.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By January 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Start Point

Type 54.  It was commissioned in 1942 as a Type 14 station with Type 273 Naval equipment.  At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing.

Staxton Wold

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 36.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.   It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  This station is still in operation as a Remote Radar Head making it the oldest surviving radar station in the world.

Staythorpe

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 73 Wing.  By January 1943 it was an Mobile station but by June 1944 was on Care & Maintenance and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Stenigot

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 34 with work beginning in 1938 of an 'Advance' CH station.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 48Mc/s was given in March 1939.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 73 Wing.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).  One of the masts here is still used by the RAF to assess the aptitude of candidates to become aerial erectors.

Stoer

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It appears to have closed by March 1944.

Stoke Holy Cross

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 30.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  By January 1941 this was a CH station with an Emergency Alternative MRU (30M) proposed for Avenue but it is not known if it was completed at the moment.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Strumble Head

This had opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  It was commissioned during 1942.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 2 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Sturminster Marshall

The was an experimental Mobile station (07G) which had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 76 Wing.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed in May/June 1944.

Swansea

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Swingate (Dover)

Originally known as Dover, it was used as one of the first five sites chosen in 1936 for the Intermediate Chain as both a transmitting (one 240 ft tower) and receiving station (two 240 ft towers).  It was retained as one of sixteen sites Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 04.  The station was completed by July 1938 following the decision to convert it to both a transmitting and receiving station, but not ready for operation as it still needed to be calibrated.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939.  The CHL element (Station 04A) was activated on 11 February 1940 under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, being transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  By January 1941 it was operating an Emergency Alternative MRU at Hollingbury (04M).  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting or controlled interception.  It was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Tannach

By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 49A, coming under the control of No 70 Wing the following month.  In October 1945 it was a CH station due to placed on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Tees

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

The Jacka

It was commissioned in 1942 as both a CD/CHL station and a Type 271(10cm) station and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 78 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk V.  It was still operational as a CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

The Law

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and probably opened by end of 1942, when it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

The Needles

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching, operating 10cm Mk V equipment.

The Verne

Type 54 and type 57.  It was commissioned in 1942 as a Type 14 station with Type 273 Naval equipment.  At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk IV equipment but was due to be upgraded to Mk VI Tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  By January 1944 it was  under the control of No 78 Wing and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Thorpness

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 74 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Thrumster

Provided long range cover for the extreme north of Scotland, it had opened by July 1940 as an 'Advance' CH station (49) intended to become a CH station, under the control of  No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 70 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1942 and June 1943.

Tilly Whim

This station probably opened between July 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 78 Wing but no other details have been found so far.

Tiree

The was proposed as a CH station  to be station 82 and may have became Ben Hough

Tiree

The was proposed as a CHB station  to be station 83 and may have became Kilkenneth

Tor Point

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was engaged on surface watching only.

Tower (Blackpool?)

By January 1941 this was under construction as both a CH (station 64) and a CHL (Naval) station (station 64B)had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  If this was Blackpool, it was dismantled after two months of operational tests after June 1942.

Treen

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Trelanvean

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  In October 1945 it was a CH station due to placed on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Treleaver

This station (24G) opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 78 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  By January 1943 it had been upgraded to IM standard and was due to be upgraded to Final standard by the middle of February.  It was still operational in October 1945. (Type 7 and 21)

Trerew

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Trevescan

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  It probably closed between June 1943 and January 1944.

Trevose Head

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 78 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.

Trewan Sands

This station (19G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by the middle of March 1943.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By March 1945 it was a Type 7 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).

Trewavas Head

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it had been declared redundant.

Trimley Heath

This had been a Mobile station (05G) under the name of Waldringfield but on being upgraded to Intermediate Mobile standard its name was changed to Trimley Heath.  It was commissioned in 1942 as a Final GCI Station and had opened by July 1941, under the control of No 74 Wing.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational in October 1945.  (Type 7 and Type 21)

Trimmingham

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 74 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower.    It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHEL (Type 54) station in October 1945.

Truleigh Hill

This had opened by July 1940 as a CHL station (07B), under the control of  No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It was still operational as a CHL and CHEL (Type 51) station in October 1945.

Tyne

This was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Mobile GCI Station (AA), but no other details have so far been found.

Ulbster

It was commissioned during 1942 and opened by July 1942 under the control of No 70 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching and had been allocated 10cm Mk IV/V equipment.  It was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Ventnor

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 10 with work beginning in 1938 of an 'Advance' CH station.  Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 22.69c/s was given in March 1939.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  By January 1941 this was a CH station with an Emergency Alternative MRU being proposed at Paradise (10M).  Type 24, Type 52 and Type 53.  It was commissioned in 1942/43 as a Type 14 station with Type 273 Naval equipment.  At the end of 1942 it was operating 10cm Mk IV equipment.  It was also operating a 10cm Mk VI equipment on an experimental basis and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing between July and December 1941.  By March 1945 it was a Type 1 and 16 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage I).  It was still operational as a CHEL (Type 52) station in October 1945.

Waldringfield

This station (05G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 74 Wing.  It was initially a Mobile station but intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  However on becoming a IM station its name was changed to Trimley Heath, probably between June 1942 and January 1943.

Walton (Tower)

This opened as a CHL station on 7 December 1939 originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  By January 1941 this was a CHL station as station 23A and was commissioned during 1942.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was transferred to No 75 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Warden Point

An opening date for this station has not found but by the end of 1942 it was being used for tracking mine-laying aircraft, manned by the Army.

Warren

This had opened by July 1940 under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing and was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Wartling

This station (20G) opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing, initially as a Mobile station but was intended to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station, the target date for which was April 1943.  It was still operational as a CGI station in October 1945.

Watsness

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 71 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

West Beckham

This was used as one of the first sixteen sites selected for the Main Chain begun in 1937 as Station 32.  Before the full CH station was completed, the site was chosen in 1938 for a mobile CH installation in order to provide RDF coverage of the Wash area. Authority for the construction of a Final CH station operating on 22.69Mc/s was given in March 1939.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 74 Wing.  By January 1941 an Emergency Alternative MRU (32 M) was proposed at Kelling but it is not known at present if it was completed.  During 1942/43 it was commissioned as part of the Buried Reserve.  It was still operational as a CH and CHEL (Type 55) station in October 1945.

West Prawle

Authority for the construction of a CH station (Station 14) operating on 50.5Mc/s was given in March 1939 with the name Prawle Point but this was obviously changed.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 78 Wing.  By January 1941 this was 'Advance' CH station but it was planned to be upgraded to CH.  A CHL was also set up here as station 14A but was withdrawn when Kingswear was ready.  In October 1945 it was scheduled to be placed in Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Westburn

This was commissioned in 1942 as a CD/CHL (Triple Service Coastal Defence CHL) and opened under the control of No 71 Wing by the end of 1942, when it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.    It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943 and probably closed in February/March 1944.

Westcliffe

It was commissioned as a CD/CHL station during 1942 and had opened by July 1942 under the control of No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was engaged on air reporting and stand-by surface watching.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing on 30 June 1943 and was still operational as a CHL station in October 1945.

Whale Head

The SD161 shows this station as operational by July 1940, under the control of No 60 Group but another source states it was still under construction in January 1941 as station 51, becoming operational in 1942. On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 70 Wing.  It was still operational in October 1945.

Whitstable

This was opened by July 1940 as a CHL station (02A), under the control of No 60 Group.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 75 Wing.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  It was still operational as a CHEL (Type 57) station in October 1945.

Willesborough

It was initially intended to be a Mobile station  (04G) later to become an Intermediate Mobile and then a Final station.  This was commissioned by July 1942 as a Intermediate Mobile GCI Station, under the control of No 75 Wing.  By January 1943 it was due to be placed on Care & Maintenance when the station at Sandwich became operational.  It probably closed between June 1944 and January 1945.

Windyhead

This station opened between July 1941 and July 1942 under the control of No 71 Wing.  It transferred to No 70 Wing on 30 June 1943.

Winterton (Blood Hill)

This station opened between July 1942 and July 1943 under the control of No 74 Wing.  Originally named Blood Hill, its name was changed to Winterton on ?  At the end of 1942 it was available as a stand-by surface watching station only, operating 10cm Mk VI equipment on a 200ft tower and had been allocated high power transmitters.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By October 1945 it was a Type 54 CHEL station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

Worth Matravers/ RAF Renscombe Down

The area around the Dorset village of Worth Matravers was home to a number of radar units, the main one being called Renscombe Down, it consisted of a Chain Home (CH - Station 12) station with two 240ft. wooden masts on 'A-Site' and a Chain Home Low (CHL - Station 12A) station on the cliff top.  During the early part of the war these stations were involved in development work under the auspices of the Telecommunications Establishment.  This Establishment had been moved to Worth Matravers in May 1940 after firstly being evacuated to Dundee from its original location at Bawdsey Manor in Suffolk, where it was considered to too at risk from German attacks.  It was originally under the direct control of HQ Fighter Command, it was transferred to the newly formed No 60 Group on 23 June 1940.  On 17 February 1941, No 60 Group was split into Wings and it was allocated to No 76 Wing.  Aircraft, for calibration duties were initially operated from Christchuch until facilities at Hurn became available.  As the sites around Worth Matravers expanded they began to attract enemy attention and an alternative location was sought, resulting in a moved to Malvern in May 1942.  The stations at Renscombe Down continued operation after the radar scientists left and the site was also used for the assembly and training of large numbers of radar and signals units prior to their dispatch overseas.  At the end of 1942 it was a dual-role station engaged on air reporting and surface watching.  By 1943 there appear to have two separate units in existance, Worth Matravers, as an operational radar site under No 76 Wing (No 78 Wing from 30 June 1943) and RAF Renscombe Down, which concentrated on training and the formation of new units.  After the war, the sites were used by the RAF as a training station.

Wrafton

This station (13G) had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing, initially as a Transportable GCI station but was intended to become an Intermediate Transportable and then a Final station, which was due to be achieved by May 1943.  It was transferred to No 78 Wing between July and December 1941.  Type 7 and was still operational as a CGI station in October 1945.

Wylfa

This station had opened by July 1941 under the control of No 77 Wing.  It was transferred to No 73 Wing on 30 June 1943.  By June 1944 it was a Type 1 station on Care & Maintenance (Stage II).

*Care & Maintenance Stages: -

Stage I - Stations maintained in such a state of readiness that it could return to Operations at 14 days' notice.

Stage II - Stations maintained in such a state of readiness that it might return to Operations at six months' notice.

Stage III - Stations pending dismantling, not required return to Operations.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]