Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Miscellaneous Operational Units


This section covers a multitude of miscellaneous units involved in what could be considered operational tasks.

Aden Battle Flight

This was formed from the Mohawk Flight of No 73 OUT on 1 June 1942 under the control of  at Sheikh Othman and was redesignated Fighter Defence Flight on 1 October 1942.

Aden Defence Flight

This was formed about October  1920 at Khormaksar and was probably absorbed into No 8 Squadron on 1 January 1928.

Airborne Target Illumination Flight

This was formed in 1941 under the control of No 11 Group at Heston, to develop the use of Turbinlite for night interception and was redesignated No 1422 Flight on 12 April 1941.

Air Defence Unit, Tanganyika

This was formed by November 1939 at Dar-es-Salaam and disbanded into AHQ East Africa Communication Squadron on 1 November 1940.

Air Spotting Pool

This comprised the Mustangs of Nos 268 and 414 Squadron, Typhoons of No 1320 Flight, Spitfires of Nos 26 and 63 Squadrons as well as those of the USN's VC57 and the Seafires of Nos 808, 885, 886 and 897 Squadrons FAA.  It operated from Lee-on-Solent during the period id the D-Day landing but formal formation and disbandment dates have not been found.

Air Transport Flight, RAF Eastleigh

This was formed from the Communication Squadron, RAF Eastleigh on in February 1944 under the control of No 216 Group at Eastleigh, Kenya and East Africa Communication Flight on 31 July 1944.

Air Transport Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1946 at Habbaniya and disbanded in August 1947.

Anson Detachment, Watchfield

This was formed on an unknown date at Watchfield and disbanded in No 46 Group on 18 July 1944.

Artillery Flight

This was formed about 1 July 1918 under the control of 1st Wing at Bruay and was redesignated 'L' Flight on 9 July 1918.

Antler Squadron

This was formed from No 83 Squadron on 1 January 1956 as part of the Attack Wing, Bombing School  at Hemswell to take part in Operation 'Antler' (atomic tests) and disbanded in June 1956.

Arrow Squadron

This was formed from No 97 Squadron on 1 January 1956 as part of the Attack Wing, Bombing School  at Hemswell and disbanded in August 1956.

Battle Flight

This was formed in about February 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Juhu on 26 June and was redesignated 'H' Flight on later in 1940.

Battle of Britain Flight

This was formed from the Historic Aircraft Flight on 21 February 1958 at Biggin Hill but moved beginning to North Weald a week later.  On 11 May it moved to Martlesham Heath, then to Horsham St Faith on 3 November 1961 and finally to Coltishall on 1 April 1963, where it was redesignated The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight on 1 June 1969.

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

This was formed from the Battle of Britain Flight on 1 June 1969 under the control of No 11 Group at Coltishall, later being transferred to No 38 Group.  It returned to No 11 Group on moving to Coningsby on 6 March 1976, later being transferred to Support Command and remains in existence.

Spitfire IIA, P7350 of the BBMF outside their hanger at RAF Coningsby

Lancaster I, PA474 of the BBMF being prepared for a sortie at RAF Coningsby

Photos courtesy Pete Jeffery

Belize Harrier Flight

This was formed on 17 September 1979 under the control of No 38 Group at Belize International Airport and was redesignated No 1417 Flight on 1 February 1980.

Belize Puma Flight

This was possibly formed in 1979 at Belize International Airport and was redesignated No 1563 Flight on 1 November 1983.

Bomber, Airborne Support and Heavy Equipment Dropping Squadron

This was formed from No 298 Squadron in July 1946 at Raipur and disbanded on 31 December 1946.

Bomber Transport Flight (India)

This was formed from the Heavy Transport Flight on 1 April 1932 under the control of  at Lahore.  It was detached to Kohat by September 1937 then to Miranshah from December and onto Risalpur on 10 March 1938 before returning to Lahore around March 1939 and was absorbed into No 31 Squadron on 1 April 1939.

No 1 Bomber Transport Unit

This was formed from No 1 Lancaster Transport Unit on 15 February 1946 at Pomigliano to undertake the repatriation of troops back to the UK and was redesignated No 3510 Servicing Unit on later in the month.

No 2 Bomber Transport Unit

This was formed from No 2 Lancaster Transport Unit on 15 February 1946 at Bari, presumably to undertake the repatriation of troops back to the UK but its fate is unknown.

Cairo-Cape (or RAF Cape) Flight

This was formed on 6 November 1925 at Northolt, sailing for Egypt on 22 November.  It arrived at the Middle East Depot, Aboukir on 10 January 1926 then moved onto Heliopolis from where it set off to Cape Town  on 1 March.  Arriving in Cape Town on 12 April it spent the next week preparing for its return which began on 19 April, arriving back at Heliopolis on 27 May.  Two days later the flight moved to the Depot at Aboukir, where the aircraft were overhauled and fitted with floats.  The flight left Egypt on 9 June for the return to the UK by air, arriving at Lee-on-Solent on 21 June, where it disbanded on 12 July 1926.

It reformed in early 1927 under the control of  at Heliopolis and departed at the end of March, arriving in Cape Town 22 days later (21 April).  It probably remained in existence at Heliopolis and carried out a further flight in 1928.

It reformed on 1 February 1929 at Heliopolis but disbanded on 10 February 1929.

Cairo-Kano Flight

This was formed from  on 27 October 1925 under the control of  at Helwan arriving at Kano in Nigeria on 1 November.  It left Kano for the return flight on 12 November, arriving at Helwan, where it disbanded on 20 November 1925.  The rourte used would form the basis of the 'Takoradi Route' used in WW2 for for the delivery of aircraft to the Middle East from West Africa.

Canberra Air Race Flight

This was formed on 4 June 1953 at Wyton, to take part in a race from the UK to New Zealand and disbanded in October 1953.

Catalina Flight (Aden)

This was formed on 7 September 1942 at Khormaksar, composed of detachments from Nos 205, 209, 259, 321 and 423 Squadrons and disbanded on 31 January 1944.

No 1 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 14 December 1939 under the control of No 18 Group at Dyce, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols between Kinnaird Head and Montrose and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

No 2 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 9 October 1939 under the control of No 15 Group at Abbotsinch, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols over the approaches to the Clyde and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

No 3 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 1 December 1939 under the control of No 15 Group at Hooton Park, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols between Liverpool and the coast of Anglesey and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

No 4 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 1 December 1939 under the control of No 15 Group at Aldergrove, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols between the Northern approaches and the Irish Sea, moving to Hooton Park on 4 December and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

No 5 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 1 March 1940 under the control of  at Carew Cheriton, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols between Bideford Bay and Carmarthen Bay and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

No 6 Coastal Patrol Flight

This was formed as an un-numbered flight on 15 January 1940 under the control of  at St Eval, being numbered around January 1940.  It carried out 'scarecrow' anti-submarine patrols between Start Point and Land's End and disbanded on 27 May 1940.

Coast Defence Torpedo Bomber Flight

This was formed on 1 July 1928 at Leuchars and was redesignated No 36 Squadron on 1 September 1928.

Combined Intelligence Centre

This was formed between July and December 1941 under the control of AHQ Iraq at Baghdad and disbanded post January 1945.

Commonwealth Flight

This was formed as part of No 24 Squadron on 10 November 1950 at Lyneham but its fate is unknown.

Defence Flight, Gibraltar

This was formed on an unknown date at North Front, Gibraltar and moved to La senia in North Africa, becoming a third flight of No 256 Squadron on 28 May 1944.

Defence Flight, Iraq

This was formed from aircraft of No 208 Squadron on 15 June 1943 under the control of Paiforce at Shaibah, moving to Abadan on 25 August and disbanded on 30 September 1943.

Desert Defence Flight

This was formed on 24 August 1942 at Heliopolis and possibly became a detached flight of No 94 Squadron on in October 1942.

Dutch Dakota Flight

This was formed within No 1316 Flight in June 1945 at Croydon and disbanded on 4 March 1946.

East African Flight

It was composed of aircraft of No 14 Squadron, leaving Heliopolis on 1 January 1932 arriving in Dar-es-Salaam on 20 February and then back to Heliopolis, arriving there on 20 March.  The aircraft were returned to No 14 Squadron disbanded on 2 April 1932.

Famine Relief Flight

This was formed in 1944 at Riyan in Aden, moving to Khormaksar in June but its fate is unknown.

Far East Flight

This was formed from  on 17 May 1927 under the control of No 10 Group at Felixstowe with 2 Southamptons.  It left on 14 October arriving in Karachi on 16 December, finally arriving in Singapore on 28 February 1928. On 21 May it set off for Australia, undertaking a tour of the country until 15 September.  It left for Hong Kong on 1 November arriving in the colony on 18 November, leaving on 18 November and arrived back in Singapore on 11 December, where it was redesignated No 205 Squadron on 8 January 1929.

Fighter Command Detachment, Norway

This was probably formed sometime in 1945 possibly in Norway but was at Wittering on 11 July 1946 under No 12 Group and disbanded on 15 July 1946.

Fighter Command Vanguard Flight

This was formed on 1 November 1952 under the control of No 12 Group at Kinloss, as a lodger unit, to undertake trials in AEW  and it moved to Topcliffe, being redesignated No 1453 Flight on 5 June 1953.

Fighter Defence Flight, Aden

This was formed from the Aden Battle Flight on 1 October 1942 under the control of Middle East Command at Sheikh Othman and disbanded on 31 January 1943 with its aircraft being absorbed into No 3 Squadron SAAF.

Fighter Defence Flight, Takoradi

This was formed on 1 July 1941 at Takoradi and disbanded in March 1943.

Fighter Flight, Shetlands

This was formed from 'B' Flight of No 152 Squadron on 18 December 1939 at Turnhouse, moving to Sumburgh on 27 December.  It left Sumburgh on 21 July 1940 for Roborough, near Plymouth where it and formed the nucleus of No 247 Squadron by 1 August 1940.

Fighter Interception Unit

This was formed to develop night fighting equipment, principally radar, on 18 April 1940 under the control of No 11 Group at Tangmere, but soon took on a more operational role.  It moved to Shoreham on 18 August, to Ford on 26 January 1941 then to Wittering, in No 23 Group, on 3 April 1944but was back at Ford in No 12 Group on 23 August, where it and was redesignated the Fighter Interception Development Unit on 4 September 1944.

'D' Flight

This was formed within the A&AEE in 1939 at Martlesham Heath, moving to Perth on 3 September and was redesignated Station Flight, Perth on 3 September 1939.

It reformed on 1 February 1940 as 'D' (Army Co-operation) Flight, No 1 School of Army Co-operation at Larkhill.  It moved to Hawkinge on 17 April, then crossed to France, arriving at Mailly-le-Camp on 19 April, returning to the UK following the German invasion, arrining at Old Sarum on 20 May before returning to Larkhill on 3 June.  Back in the UK it took part in various exercises with the Army Commands around the country until it was redesignated No 1424 (AOP) Flight on 20 September 1941.

'G' Flight

This was formed on 21 September 1940 at Helensburgh with three Short S26 G-Class flying boats.  It moved to Stanraer on 26 November then to Bowmore on 24 December, where it was redesignated No 119 Squadron on 13 March 1941.

'H' Flight

This was formed in France, but no further details have been located, however it disbanded on 20 July 1919.

'H' Flight

It reformed with 2 aircraft from No 60 Squadron on 25 August 1939 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Drigh Road on 9 November, where it was redesignated 'W' Flight on 9 February 1940.

It reformed from the Battle Flight in Feruary 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Dum Dum on 15 September, then to Lahore on 16 October, after which its fate is unknown.

'I' Flight

This was formed from Special Duty Flight with effect from 9 July 1918 under the control of 9th Brigade at Fauquembergues.  It was tasked with intelligence gathering including to landing of agents in enemy territory.  Initially attached to No 58 Squadron it was transferred to No 148 Squadron on 31 August.  By November it was  at Arre under 10th Wing, moving to Serny in 82nd Wing on 9 December and disbanded in February.

'J' Flight

This was formed on 28 September 1945 under the control of  at Melton Mowbrey, moving to the Middle East on 5 October and was redesignated No 1589 Heavy Freight Flight on 10 October 1945.

'K' Flight

This was formed from a detached flight of No 6 Squadron on 9 July 1918 under the control of 12the Wing at Aux-le-Chateau as a special duties flight and its fate is unknown.

It reformed from B' Flight , No 112 Squadron on 31 August 1940 under the control of  at Port Sudan, moving to Summit in November but was at Aqir when it becamehte nucleus for No 250 Squadron on 1 April 1941.

It reformed on 16 September 1945 at Melton Mowbrey, moving to India, where it was redesignated No 1588 Heavy Freight Flight on 10 October 1945.

'L' Flight

This was formed from the Artillery Flight on 9 July 1918 under the control of 1st Wing at Bruay but had moved to Auberchicourt by November then later that month to Aulnoy, where it disbanded on 6 February 1919.

'M' Flight

This was formed as a special duties flight on 6 October 1918 under the control of 2nd Wing at St Omer/Longuenesse, moving to Menin on 22 October then to Wevelghem on 15 November.  On 26 November it arrived at Cognelle, moving on to Elsenborn Camp between 6 - 8 December, then onto Bickendorf on 13 December and finally to Hangerlar on 27 December, where it disbanded on 4 August 1919.

'N' Flight

A previous ' N' Flight had been formed in 1917 but this incarnation had formed by 18 September 1918 under the control of 12th Wing at Vert Galant for special duties.  It moved to Beugatre later in September and by 5 November was at Estourmel, where it disbanded in February 1919.

'O' Flight

This was formed from  on 1 November 1918 under the control of 15th Wing at Premont for special duties.  It had moved to Elincourt by 9 November, to Gerpinnes on 29 November, to Stree by early December, Laneffe on 9 Dedcember and finally to Thy-le-Bauduin by February 1919, where it disbanded in March 1919.

'P' Flight

This was formed from  on 29 August 1918 under the control of 81st Wing at Serny for special duties.  It moved to Bruay on 18 October, to Cysoing on 26 October and finally to Reckem on 3 December, where it and disbanded on 20 January 1919.

It reformed from a detachment of No 113 Squadron on 9 June 1919 under the control of  at Cairo.  It was shipped to Jedda aboard HMS Baran Beck, arriving on 13 June 1919, remaining there until at least 25 July 1919.

'Q' Flight

This was formed from two aircraft of No 60 Squadron on 25 August 1939 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Drigh Road on 29 August, then back to Ambala on 2 October 1940, where it and was withdrawn from the CD Wing and presumably disbanded 16 October 1940.

It reformed from by October 1943 at Rednal, to take part in the making of the film 'Signed with their honour' about the Greek campaign of 1940/1 and existed until at least January 1944.

'S' Flight

This was formed on 1 November 1944 at Heston as part of the RAE and presumably disbanded on or after 31 December 1944.

'V' Flight

This was formed from two aircraft of No 60 Squadron on 25 August 1939 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Juhu on 30 August and was withdrawn from the CD Wing and presumably disbanded on 15 December 1940.

It reformed from a detached flight of No 20 Squadron on in February 1941 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Juhu but its fate is unknown.

'W' Flight

This was formed from two aircraft of No 60 Squadron on 9 February 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Drigh Road and was withdrawn from the CD Wing and presumably disbanded on 15 December 1940.

'X' Flight

This was formed from the special service flight of No 14 Squadron in October 1917 under the control of  at Aqaba, moving to El Guiera in June and disbanded in September 1919.

It reformed in May 1940 at Haifa and disbanded on in June 1940.

It reformed on 6 June 1941 under the control of  at Habbaniya to provide support to the ground forces advancing in Syria.  It moved to Amman on 7 June, to Mafraq on 12 June, back to Amman on 19 June, to H4 on 22 June before returning to Habbaniya on 12 July, where it and was amalgamated with No 127 Squadron to form No 261 Squadron on 12 July 1941.

It reformed on 15 July 1942 at Abadan and disbanded on in late 1942.

It reformed from the Special Liberator Flight on 22 February 1943 at Gambut Main and was redesignated No 148 Squadron on 14 March 1943.

'Y' Flight

This was formed from two aircraft of No 60 Squadron on 25 August 1939 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to St Thomas Mount on 3 September and was withdrawn from the CD Wing and presumably disbanded on 15 December 1940.

It reformed from a detached flight of No 20 Squadron on in February 1941 at St Thomas Mount but its fate is unknown.

'Z' Flight

Arriving in Italy from the UK in late 1918 it was attached to No 28 Squadron and then to No 34 Squadron, where it adopted the title 'Z' Flight and was amalgamated with a second flight to form No 139 Squadron on 3 July 1918.

It reformed about August 1918 at Manston to undertake the servicing of HP O/400s destined for use on postal and transport duties in th event of a General Strike and disbanded in 1919.

It reformed on 30 November 1919 at Taganrog in South Russia.  It moved to Kupyansk on 3 December, to Rubejnaya on 13 December, Popasnaya on 20 December, Krinichnaya on 24 December, back to Taganrog on 1 January 1920 and finally to Rostov on 5 January after which its fate is unknown.

'Z' Flight

It reformed from two aircraft of No 60 Squadron on 25 August 1939 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Ambala, moving to Dum Dum on 28 August and was withdrawn from the CD Wing and presumably disbanded on 15 December 1940.

Fortress Flight

This was formed in 1942 under the control of No 10 Group at Colerne and disbanded on 13 October 1942.

General Purpose Flight

This was formed from Vincents of No 8 Squadron on 24 November 1940 at Khormaksar, moving to Sheikh Othman on 12 December and merged into No 8 Squadron on 30 April 1941.

General Reconnaissance and Anti-Radar Flight

This was authorised to form on 2 April 1941 at Takoradi but its fate is unknown.

No 1 General Reconnaissance Unit

This was formed on 19 December 1939 under the control of No 16 Group at Manston, equipped with DWI Wellingtons, which were fitted with a large electro-magnetic ring to counter magnetic mines.  On 18 May 1940 it flew to Ismailia in Egypt to operate over the Suez Canal  and disbanded on 10 March 1944 at Amriya South with its aircraft being passed on to No 162 Squadron.

No 2 General Reconnaissance Unit

This was formed with three DWI Wellingtons on 4 March 1940 under the control of No 16 Group at Bircham Newton and was absorbed into No 1 GRU in April 1940.

No 3 General Reconnaissance Unit

This was formed with three DWI Wellingtons on 22 April 1940 under the control of No 16 Group at Manston, moving to Thorney Island on 24 May 1940 and disbanded on 26 July 1940.

Heavy Transport Flight

This was formed on 1 March 1929 at Lahore and was redesignated the Bomber Transport Flight on 1 April 1932.

High Altitude Flight

This was formed in August 1942 at Northolt to combat Ju 86s being using at high altitude and was redesignated the Sub Stratosphere Flight in September 1942.

High Altitude Flight

This was formed on/ by September 1943 under the control of No 244 Wing at Bari and its ORB ended on 27 November 1943.

High Flying Flight

This was formed about June 1942 at No 103 MU, Aboukir and disbanded later in the year.

High Speed Flight

This unit was formed at the MAEE, Felixstowe to fly the aircraft taking part in te Schneider Trophy Competition.  It was initially formed in 1926 but remained dormant until 1927 when it reformed, moving to Calshot in July, to Kalafrana in Malta in August from where it board HMS Eagle for he journey to Venice, arriving on 13 September.  After winning that year's competition the flight embarked on HMS Eagle for the return to the UK on 27 September.  Although there wasn't a competition in 1928, it seems to have remained inexistence moving to Calshot in February, back to Felixstowe in April, to Calshot in September, returning to Felixstowe inNovember.  For the 1929 competition it moved to Calshot on 11 March, returning to Felixstowe in September after winning once again.  The final competition was held in 1931, for which the flight was reformed, moving to Calshot on 10 May, the back to Felixstowe on 5 October.  As this was Britain's third consecutive victory the trophy was awarded outright and the competition ended so the flight was disbanded later that month

It reformed on 14 April 1946 under the control of No 11 Group at Tangmere, to make an attempt on the world air speed record using Meteors and disbanded on 30 September 1946 after successfully breaking the record.

Historic Aircraft Flight

This was formed in July 1957 at Biggin Hill and was redesignated the Battle of Britain Flight on 21 February 1958.

Internal Security Flight

This was formed in December 1955 at Nicosia and disbanded in August 1958.

Irish Flight

This was formed on 18 January 1922 at Baldonnell, moving to Collinstown on 1 May and disbanded on 31 October 1922.

Khartoum Flight

This was formed from a detachment of No 47 Squadron on 6 April 1926 under the control of  at Khartoum and was re-absorbed into No 47 Squadron when it relocated to Khartoum from Helwan on 21 October 1927.

Long Range Development Unit

This was formed from  on 1 January 1938 under the control of No 1 Group at Upper Heyford to undertake a record breaking flight to Australia, which it successfully completed and disbanded on 23 January 1939.

The Lysander Flight

This was formed from  on 20 November 1939 at Boscombe Down as a special duties flight for service in France but its fate is unknown.

Malta Fighter Flight

This was formed on 19 April 1940 at Hal Far and disbanded on 29 April 1940.

It reformed on 2 May 1940 at Hal Far and disbanded into No 261 Squadron on 1 August 1940.

Malta Night Fighter Unit

This was formed in late July 1941 at Ta Kali, for the night defence of the island and was redesignated No 1435 Flight on 4 December 1941.

Malta Wellington Flight

This was formed from detachments of aircraft supplied by Nos 38, 99 and 115 Squadrons on 9 November 1940 under the control of  at Luqa and was redesignated No 148 Squadron on 0 January 1900.

Majunga Detachment Support Unit

This was formed on 1 March 1971 under the control of No 18 Group at Honington to provide Shackletons to undertake the Beira patrol and was redesignated No 204 Squadron on 1 April 1971.

Merchant Ship Fighter Unit

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 9 Group at Speke to provide Hurricanes to operate from Catapult Armed Merchant (CAM) Ships and disbanded on 7 September 1943.

New Zealand Flight

This was formed in No 3 Group on 1 June 1939 attached to No 75 Squadron at Marham to train on Wellingtons, which it was planned to take back to New Zealand, however, when the war broke out New Zealand gave authority for it to remain in the UK.  It moved to Hemswell in No 6 Group on 27 September, returning to No 3 Group at Stradishall on 15 January 1940 and then to Feltwell on 12 February, where it was redesignated No 75 (New Zealand) Squadron on 4 April 1940.

Ogaden Flight

This was formed on 1 May 1944 at No 22 PTC, Cairo West, moving to Wadi Seidna on 7 May.  An advance party moved to Giggiga in East Africa on 31 May, with the aircraft (8 Baltimores) detached to Khormaksar, with the main party arriving at Giggiga on 17 June.  The whole flight moved to Dagabur on 11 July, to Hargeisa on 16 November, Berbera on 17 November and finally to Khormaksar on 30 November, where it disbanded on 23 December 1944.

Palestine Truce Observation Flight

This was formed on 26 August 1948 at Amman and its aircraft were probably handed over to the Jordanian government when complete.

Psychological Warfare Flight

This had formed by 1954 at Kuala Lumper to undertake aerial broadcasting ('sky-shouting') and disbanded into No 267 Squadron on 15 February 1954.

Rock Defence Flight

This was formed in August 1944 as a detachment of No 153 Squadron at Reghaia and disbanded on 5 September 1944.

RAF Aerobatic Team (The Red Arrows)

This was formed on 1 March 1965 under the control of the Central Flying School at Fairford to take on the permanent duties of providing an aerobatic display team, previously provided by operational fighter squadrons.  It moved to Kemble on 1 August 1966, operating a seven Gnats until 1968 when this was increased to the current nine aircraft.   For the 1980 season the team converted to the Hawk T Mk 1 and moved to Scampton on 1 October 1982, but following its closure the team moved to Cranwell on 20 February 1996.  However, with the airfield at Cranwell being so busy it was decided to re-open Scampton and the team returned there on 21 December 2000 and remains there to the present day.

RAF Antarctic Flight

This was formed on 25 April 1949 under the control of No 28 Group at Hendon to take part in a joint British-Scandinavian expedition to Antartica in 1950.  It was transferred to No 61 Group on 22 February 1950 and disbanded in January 1951.

Security Flight

This was formed by July 1945 at Ismailia but its fate is unknown.

Short Range Transport Squadron

This was due to form on 31 December 1952 at Changi, with flights at Butterworth and Kula Lumper but does not appear to have come into existance.

'A' Squadron, RAF Mission South Russia

This was formed from No 47 Squadron on 20 October 1919 at Ekaterinodar and disbanded on 31 March 1920.

Special Defence Flight

This was formed on 5 October 1918 at Gosport and disbanded on 28 December 1918.

Special Duties Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1918 at Mullion to undertake coastal patrols over the South Western Approaches and was absorbed into No 254 Squadron on 1 May 1918.

2 Special Duties Flight

These were formed on by March 1918 at Cramlington to undertake coastal patrols over the North East War Channels and was absorbed into No 252 Squadron on 1 May 1918.

Special Duties Flight

This was formed on 31 August 1918 under the control of No 10 Group at Gosport and was still in existence on 31 January 1919 but after that its fate is unknown.

Special Duty Catalina Flight

This was formed as part of No 240 Squadron on an unknown date at Redhills Lake and disbanded on 15 November 1945.

Special Duty Flight

This was formed on in April 1917 under the control of 9th Wing at Vert Galant for special duties (landing agents and carrier pigeons).  On 31 May it moved to Liettres, then to Clairmarais South, where it became attached to No 101 Squadron on 4 September.  It was transferred to No 102 Squadron on 14 February 1918, then to 54th Wing on 4 March and then to No 83 Squadron on 7 March.  On 3 May it moved to Sains-les-Pernes then to Fuquembergues on 23 June, where it was redesignated 'I' Flight on 9 July 1918.

Special Duty Flight

This flight was formed in 1951 at Sculthorpe to undertake high altitude photo-reconnaissance sorties over eastern Europe and the USSR.  It used USAF RB-45s in RAF markings with crews being supplied by Bomber Command, missions being undertaken in 1951, 1952 and 1954 and disbanded in 1954.

Special Flight, Martlesham Heath

This was formed on an unknown date at Martlesham Heath, coming under No 60 Group on 23 February 1940.  It formed an Autogiro flight on 20 May 1940 and disbanded on 6 February 1941.

Special Forces Flight

This was formed in 1982 as part of  at Lyneham and is probably still in existence.

Special Forces Flight

This was formed by 1991 as part of  at Odiham and is probably still in existence.

Special Operations (Liberator) Flight

This was formed as Liberator Special Flight from 'B' Flight, No 108 Squadron on 13 November 1942 at LG09 Bir Koraiyam.  It moved to LG237/Kilo 40 Gebel Hamzi on 27 November, where it adopted the above title, under the control of No 238 Wing, moving to Shandur on 3 January 1943, where it was redesignated 'X' Flight on 22 February 1943.

Special Performance Flight

This was formed on an unknown date at Aboukir, equipped with Spitfire Vs and disbanded on an unknown date.

'S' Provisional Squadron

This was formed in May 1919 at No 5 Fighting School, Heliopolis to deal with civil disorder in Egypt and disbanded at Almaza in June 1919.

'T' Provisional Squadron

This was formed in 1919 at an unknown location and disbanded at Assiut on 22 July 1919.

'X' Provisional Squadron

This was formed in June 1919 at Amria and disbanded on 22 July 1919.

'Y' Provisional Squadron

This was formed in July 1919 at No 5 Fighting School, Heliopolis to deal with civil disorder in Egypt.  It moved to Wasta on 20 March 1919, then Beni-Suef in and by May 1919 was at Assiut, where it disbanded on 21 July 1919.

'Z' Provisional Squadron

This was formed in May 1919 at No 5 Fighting School, Heliopolis to deal with civil disorder in Egypt.  It moved to Almaza in June then returned to Heliopolis where it disbanded on 22 July 1919.

'A' Squadron

This was formed on 21 January 1920 at Ambala, moving to Bangalore on 22 March and was redesignated No 3 Squadron on 1 April 1920.

'B' Squadron

This was formed on 21 January 1920 at Risalpur and was redesignated No 1 Squadron on 1 April 1920.

'G' Squadron

This was formed on an unknown date under the control of No 222 Group at Ratmalana and disbanded into No 258 Squadron on 1 March 1942.

'K' Squadron

This was formed on an unknown date at Colombo Racecourse and disbanded into No 258 Squadron on 30 March 1942.

'S' Squadron

This was formed from Communication Flight, Iraq on 21 August 1939 at Habbaniya, moving to Sharjah in September then back to Habbaniya on 18 September, where it was redesignated No 244 Squadron on 1 November 1940.

'X' Squadron

This was formed as a balloon unit on/by 1 December 1943 at Augusta and was absorbed into No 986 Squadron on 1 January 1944.

'Y' Squadron

This was formed from an element of No 4 FTS on/by 22 September 1939 at Habbaniya and disbanded in July 1940.

Sub-Stratosphere Flight

This was formed from the High Altitude Flight on in September 1942 under the control of  at Northolt, moving to North Weald on 20 January 1943 and was redesignated 'A' Flight, No 124 Squadron on 26 January 1943.

HQ Task Force Challenger

This was formed on 10 August 1956 at Yatesbury for service in the Middle East.  It was at Episkopi under the control of AHQ Levant in November and disbanded on 23 December 1956.

RAF Task Force Malaya

This was formed from aircraft of Nos 110, 60 and 81 Squadrons and Nos 1902, 1903 and 1903 Flights on 1 July 1948 at Kuala Lumper and was redesignated RAF Kuala Lumper on 20 September 1948.

Temporary Seaplane Flight

This was formed  in June 1928 at Basrah and disbanded on 8 March 1929, being replaced by No 203 Squadron.

Transport Command Air Support Flight

This was formed by January 1950 under the control of  at an unknown location, moving to Abingdon on 21 December 1951 and was redesignated No 1312 Flight on 14 September 1954.

'H' Unit

This was operational in the Sudan from 3 January to June 1920, after which its fate is unknown.

'K' Unit

This was in existence at Kamaran under No 16 Wing by November 1919 and disbanded on 13 March 1920.

'Q' Unit

This was formed  in October 1919 under the control of RAF Rhine at Eil and disbanded in May 1920.

'Z' Unit

This was in existence in British Somaliland under No 16 Wing by 30 November 1919, moving to Berbera by January 1920.  It moved to El Dar Elan on 19 January, returning to Berbera on 24 February, where it disbanded on 20 April 1920.

Voice Flight

This was formed as part of No 267 Squadron on 20 March 1954 at Kuala Lumper and disbanded on 1 November 1958.

Vulcan Display Flight

This was formed from Vulcan Display Team, No 55 Squadron on 1 April 1984 under the control of Support Command at Waddington and disbanded on in September 1994.

Yugoslav Flight

This was formed in/by May 1941, possibly attached to No 228 Squadron (Alexandria) at Aboukir and was possibly redesignated No 2 Yugo-Slav Squadron on in August 1941.

It reformed on 15 August 1941, as part of No 30 Squadron, possibly at Edku but its fate is unknown.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]