Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Hospitals and Medical Related Units


[Hospitals | Dental units | Other Medical units]

This section covers hospitals and other medical related units.

"The RAF Medical Services grew out of the Army Medical Department and were set up on the formation of the Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918.  A RAF Nursing Service was established in June 1918. It was reorganised as Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service (PMRAFNS) under a Matron-in-Chief in June 1923.  A RAF Dental Branch was established in July 1930."*

*The National Archives

Hospitals

No 1 General Hospital

This was formed on 1 July 1943 under the control of NAAF at Carthage, moving to Torre del Greco (Italy) in December 1943 and disbanded on 31 March 1946.

No 2 General Hospital

This was formed in September 1943 under the control of NAAF at Maison Carree (Algiers) to at least Jan 1945 and disbanded in August 1946.

No 3 RAF Hospital

This was formed on in November 1943 under the control of Levant at Triopli, probably moving to Fayid in 1946 and was redesignated RAF Hospital Fayid on 1 August 1949.

No 4 RAF Hospital

This was formed from the RAF Hospital Benghazi on in November 1943 under the control of MACAF at Benghazi, moving to Tripoli by January 1944, then to Tel Litwinsky by April 1944 until at least January 1945 and disbanded in 1946.

No 5 RAF Hospital

This was formed from the RAF Hospital Egypt in December 1943 under the control of AHQ Egypt at Abbassia and disbanded in February 1947.

No 6 RAF Hospital

This was formed in December 1943 under the control of AHQ Iraq & Persia at Habbaniya in Jan 1944 and was redesignated RAF Hospital Habbaniya on 1 January 1946.

No 7 RAF Hospital

This was formed from the RAF Hospital (Aden) in November 1943 under the control of Aden Command at Steamer Point and was redesignated RAF Hospital Steamer Point in about 1948.

No 8 (Field) RAF Hospital

This was formed in February 1944 under the control of No 85 Group at Ashton Down until July 1944, moving to Bayeux (France) August, then to Brussels (Belgium)in September and to Rinteln (Germany) in August 1945 .  The 'Field' title was dropped in April 1944 and it was redesignated RAF Hospital BAFO in August 1949.

No 9 RAF Hospital

This was formed in July 1944 at Calcutta and disbanded in April 1946.

No 10 RAF Hospital

This was formed on 1 April 1945 at Karachi and disbanded on 31 July 1945.

No 11 RAF Hospital

This was formed on 1 April 1945  at Allahabad and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

No 12 RAF Hospital

This was formed from No 64 MFH on in 1945 at Cawnpore and disbanded on in 1946.

No 54 RAF Hospital

This was formed from No 54 MFH in September 1945 at Celle and disbanded in December 1947.

No 55 Field Hospital

This was formed from No 55 MFH in September 1945 at Gutersloh and disbanded in May 1946.

RAF Hospital Aden

This was formed on 9 October 1928 under the control of Aden Command at Steamer Point and was retitled No 7 RAF Hospital in November 1943.

RAF Combined Hospital (Aden)

This was probably formed on 1 April 1928 as a joint Army/RAF hospital Aden Command at Steamer Point and was retitled RAF Hospital, Aden on 9 October 1928.

Princess Mary's RAF Hospital Akrotiri

A temporary hospital at Akrotiri was opened on 9 February 1957 but it was another six years before a permanent proper hospital was built.   The decision to build a new hospital was taken in 1961 and an area around Cape Zevgari about three miles from the main camp.  It opened to patients in May 1963, with an officially opening by The Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, Air Chief Commandant of the Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service (PMRAFNS) taking place on 21 November 1963.  Its first Commanding Officer was Group Captain G H Dhenin and the first Matron was Wing Officer Kennedy.  From 1977 it became a joint RAF/Army hospital and it closed in 2012

RAF Auxiliary Hospital

This was formed in October 1918 at Blandford to deal with the overflow of patients resulting from the influenza epidemic and disbanded in early 1919.

Baghdad Combined Hospital

This was formed from No 23 Combined Hospital in October 1922 under the control of Iraq Command at Baghdad, moving to Hinaidi in early 1923 and was redesignated RAF British Hospital between March 1925 and March 1926.

RAF Hospital (Persian Gulf) Bahrein

This was formed on 1 July 1958 at Bahrein and was redesignated RAF Hospital Muharraq in January 1964.

Basrah Combined Hospital

This was formed on in 1923 under the control of Iraq Command at Basrah and closed in March 1928 but reopened briefly in the 1930s to help with a cholera epidemic.

RAF Hospital Benghazi

This was formed in March 1943 at Benghazi and was redesignated No 4 RAF General Hospital in November 1943.

RAF and WRAF Hospital

This was formed in September 1918 at Blandford and disbanded in early 1920.

RAF British Hospital

This was formed by redesignating the Baghdad Combined Hospital between March 1925 and March 1926 under the control of Iraq Command at Hinaidi and was redesignated RAF General Hospital between March 1926 - September 1928.

British Commonwealth Air Hospital

This was formed in March 1946 at Iwakuni, Japan and disbanded on 19 March 1948.  It was opened again, during the Korean War, from October 1951 to March 1955

RAF Hospital, BAFO

This was formed in August 1949 under the control of BAFO at BOAR Rinteln and closed in 1996.

RAF Hospital, Cape Coast

This was formed between July 1942 and January 1943 under the control of AHQ West Africa probably at Cape Coast, Ghana and disbanded on an unknown date.

RAF Central Hospital

This was formed on 1 April 1918 at Holly Hill, Hampstead, moving to Finchley in May 1919 and was redesignated RAF Officers' Hospital on moving to Uxbridge in June 1925.

RAF Hospital, Changi

This was formed on 1 August 1947 under the control of ACFE at Changi and disbanded on 17 August 1971.

RAF General Hospital

This was formed in September 1942 under the control of No 28 Group at Church Village and disbanded 31 May 1946.

RAF Hospital, Cosford

This was formed between January-July 1941 from the Station Hospital under the control of No 20 Group at Cosford and disbanded in 1977.

RAF Hospital, Cranwell

From its inception the RAF ran a number of hospitals to deal with its personnel and one of these was at RAF Cranwell.  It opened in April 1918 from the RNAS Station Hospital and operated until June 1940 when it was transferred to Rauceby.

RAF Hospital Cyprus

This was formed on 9 February 1957 as a temporary hospital at Akrotiri.  In 1961 it was decided to build a new permanent hospital, which opened in May 1963 and was renamed The Princess Mary's RAF Hospital.

RAF General Hospital (Egypt)

This was formed on in March 1942 under the control of AHQ Egypt at in Cairo, moving to Abbassia in January 1943 and was redesignated No 5 RAF Hospital on in December 1943.

RAF Hospital/General Hospital, Ely

This was formed on 1 August 1940 under the control of No 24 Group at Ely.  It was renamed the Princess of Wales Hospital in 1987 and disbanded in 1992 being taken over by the NHS.

RAF Hospital Fayid

This was formed on 1 August 1949 from No 3 RAF Hospital at Fayid and disbanded in 1956.

RAF General Hospital

This was formed in May 1940 under the control of No 24 Group at Evesham and disbanded in March 1946.

RAF Hospital, Habbaniya

This was formed from No 6 RAF Hospital on 1 January 1946 under the control of AHQ Levant at Habbaniya and disbanded in 1956.

RAF Hospital, Hamburg

This was formed from No 53 MFH in September 1945 at Hamburg and disbanded in September 1946.

RAF General Hospital (Iraq)

This was formed between March 1926 and September 1928 by redesignating the RAF British Hospital under the control of Iraq Command at Hinaidi.  Moving to Dhibban in December 1937, which was renamed Habbaniya in May 1938, it was redesignated No 6 RAF Hospital in December 1943.

Halton Hospitals (General and Isolation)

These were formed in January 1919 at Halton and was redesignated RAF Hospital, Halton between July 1920 and July 1921.

RAF Hospital, Halton

This was formed on between July 1920 and July 1921 under the control of RAF Halton at Halton being redesignated Princess Mary's RAF Hospital on 31 October 1927.

Princess Mary's RAF Hospital

Work on a new permanent hospital at Halton in 1924 and was opened on 31 October 1927 by Princess Mary after who it was named, finally disbanding in 1995.

The Hermitage' Hospital

This was formed in January 1919 at Hasting, Sussex and disbanded in May 1919.

RAF Hospital Hong Kong

This was formed from No 80 MFH in January 1946 at Kowloon and disbanded in 1995.

RAF Hospital Iceland

This was formed on 1 July 1941 at Reykjavik and disbanded on 31 January 1946.

RAF Indian Hospital

This was formed in October 1922 under the control of Iraq Command at Baghdad, later moving to Hinaidi and disbanded in 1926.

RAF General Hospital (Italy)

This had been the first static hospital set up in North Africa when it was set up at Carthage following the invasion of North Africa, Operation Torch.  Following the invasion of Italy in September 1943 it moved across the Mediterranean in December 1943 and took over a convalescent home in Torro del Greco near Naples remaining there for the rest of the war

RAF Hospital Khormaksar Beach, Aden

This was formed to look after the Aden Protectorate Levies in 1958 under the control of  at Khormaksar and disbanded in 1967.

RAF Levy Hospital

This was formed on 1 December 1945 under the control of AHQ Levant at Habbaniya and disbanded on 31 October 1947.

RAF Hospital, Littleport

This was formed on 1 September 1939 under the control of No 24 Group at Littleport and became an Annexe of RAF Hospital, Ely on 31 July 1940.

RAF General Hospital

This was formed in September 1942 under the control of No 28 Group at Lochnaw and disbanded in October 1945.

RAF Hospital Kirkham

This opened as station hospital in June 1940 became an RAF Hospital  between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 24 Group at Kirkham and disbanded in July 1948.

RAF General Hospital

This was formed on 1 July 1942 under the control of No 28 Group at Lochnaw and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

 RAF Hospital Mingaladon

This was formed from No 65 MFH in November 1945 at Mingaladon and disbanded in 1946.

RAF Hospital Muharraq

This was formed by redesignating the RAF Hospital Bahrein in January 1964 at Muharraq, Bahrein and disbanded in December 1971.

RAF Neurological Hospital

This was formed in September 1939 under the control of No 24 Group at Matlock and disbanded in April 1945.

RAF Hospital Nocton Hall

This was formed in June 1947 at Nocton Hall, near Lincoln and disbanded on 31 March 1983.

RAF General Hospital

This was formed in January 1943 at Northallerton, North Yorkshire and disbanded in November 1947.

RAF Officer's Hospital

This was formed on in January 1943 under the control of No 28 Group at Blackpool and disbanded on in October 1945.

RAF Officer's Hospital

This was formed from the RAF Central Hospital, Finchley in June 1925 under the control of Inland Area at Uxbridge being transferred to No 21 Group on 12 April 1926? and was redesignated WAAF Hospital on 1 March 1940.

RAF Officer's Hospital

This was formed in April 1919 at 22 Fitzjohn's Avenue, London and disbanded on an unknown date but probably before April 1920.

RAF Officer's Hospital

This was formed on 1 September 1939 at Torquay but following damage sustained in two bombing raids was transferred to Blackpool in January 1943.

Old Sarum Hospital

This was formed as a joint RAF/Army hospital in December 1918 at Old Sarum and disbanded in early 1920.

RAF Hospital Padgate

This was formed in 1939 at Padgate and disbanded in February 1957.

Palestine General Hospital

This was formed in 1924 under the control of Palestine Command at Sarafand and was redesignated RAF General Hospital Palestine and Trans-Jordan on 1 January 1936.

RAF General Hospital Palestine and Trans-Jordan

This was formed on 1 January 1936 under the control of Palestine Command at Sarafand and disbanded on 28 February 1940.

RAF Hospital Rauceby

Originally opened in 1897 as Kesteven County Asylum, it was renamed Kesteven Mental hospital in 1924 and Rauceby Mental Hospital in 1933.  It was taken over by the RAF in 1940 as No 4 RAF Hospital Rauceby and specialised in crash and burns victims, eventually closing as a RAF hospital in 1947.  It remained a civilian hospital until 1997 and was developed for housing in 2004.

RAF Hospital Rostrup

This was formed from No 1 Mobile Field Hospital in December 1953 under the control of 2nd TAF at Rostrup and disbanded about April 1958.

RAF Hospital St Athan

RAF St Athan opened in February 1939 as No 4 School of Technical Training and No 19 Maintenance Unit but in July 1940 a major RAF General Hospital for the South Wales area was also established here, consisting of a maze of wooden huts, which formed the various wards and theatres, sited immediately to the east of the station.  The hospital continued in use after the war, finally closing in December 1961.

RAF Hospital Steamer Point

This was formed from No 7 RAF Hospital? about 1948 at Steamer Point, Aden and disbanded in 1967.

RAF Hospital Singapore

This was formed in January 1946 under the control of ACSEA at Singapore and was renamed RAF Hospital Changi on 1 August 1947.

RAF Hospital Schleswig

This was formed in September 1945 under the control of No 83 Group at Celle and disbanded in May 1946.

RAF Hospital Takoradi

This was formed in January 1942 at Takoradi and disbanded in November 1947.

RAF Hospital Tripoli (Libya)

This was formed on 1 September 1943 at Tripoli and was redesignated No 3 RAF Hospital in November 1943.

RAF (Voluntary) Hospital

This was formed in January 1919 at 37 Bryanston Square, London and disbanded in November 1919.

RAF (Voluntary) Hospital

This was formed in January 1919 at 82 Easton Square and disbanded in January 1920.

RAF Hospital Uxbridge

This was formed from the WAAF Hospital on 3 November 1941 at Uxbridge and disbanded on in 1972.

RAF War Hospital

This was formed to deal with the expected casualties during the (1st) Gulf War in December 1990 at Muharraq, Bahrein and disbanded on in March 1991.

WAAF Hospital

This was formed on 1 March 1940 under the control of No 24 Group at Uxbridge and became RAF Station Hospital, Uxbridge on 30 November 1941.

RAF Hospital Weeton

This was formed in June 1940 at Weeton and disbanded in December 1959.

RAF Hospital Wegburg

Work on this hospital was begun in January 1953 and was completed on 31 May.  It was officially opened on 16 November 1953, as the Royal Air Force Hospital Wegberg by Lady Foster, the wife of the Commander-in-Chief 2nd Tactical Air Force.  In 1958 It became the sole RAF Hospital in Germany when RAF Hospital Rostrup was handed over to the Germans.  The School or Nursing at the hospital closed in 1984 having provided training, to many Enrolled and Registered nurses as well as Student Nurses from UK Service Hospitals (Ely, Halton and Wroughton), who undertook detachments for training in Obstetrics.  In October 1990, it provided personnel for detachment to the Gulf region following the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq, the final one returning in April 1991.  It finally closed on 16 November 1993.

RAF Hospital West Kirby

This was formed in 1940 at West Kirby and disbanded in December 1957.

RAF Hospital Wilmslow

This was formed in July 1940 at Wilmslow and disbanded in December 1958.

WRAF Hospital

This was formed in November 1919 at 53 Hollycroft Avenue, London and disbanded in January 1920.

WRAF Hospital

This was formed in November 1919 at 13 Parsifal Road, London and disbanded in January 1920.

WRAF Hospital

This was formed in November 1919 at 24 Chesterfield Gardens, London and disbanded in January 1920.

Princess Alexandra's RAF Hospital Wroughton

Work on this hospital commenced in June 1939, opening as The RAF General Hospital on 14 June 1941 under the command of Gp Capt. E C Foreman.  Wroughton’s busiest period was following the landings in Normandy in June 1944, with the first casualties arrived on 13 June.  Aircraft landed at RAF Lyneham with the casualties being ferried to Wroughton by a fleet of ambulances to Wroughton.  The next 6-months saw 4,811 casualties pass through the hospital.  It continued as a General for military patients, but from 1958 began taking NHS patients from the Swindon area as well.  It  was retitled Princess Alexandra’s RAF Hospital on 4 October 1967, following a visit by her on 4 July 1967.  The hospital closed on 31 March and the site now called Alexandra Park, containing a housing development and a Conference Centre.

No 1 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in August 1939 under the control of AASF at Halton, moving to Prosnes (France) in September, then to La Motte Tilly in May 1940 and disbanded after June 1940.

No 2 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in September 1939 under the control of AASF at Halton, moving to Mareuil-sur-Ay (France) in November, then to Villemoiron in May 1940 and disbanded after June 1940.

No 3 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in March 1940 at Halton and was redesignated No 21 MRS on 28 February 1941.

No 4 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in April 1940 at Halton? and disbanded in May 1940.

No 21 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in May 1940 under the control of RAF Middle East at Helwan, moving to Benghazi between July 1942 and January 1943 and was redesignated No 21 MFH in May 1943.

No 22 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in May 1940 under the control of RAF Middle East at Halton, moving to Egypt September 1940, including Helwan, Fuka, Gordon's Tree, Gambut (Libya); and was redesignated No 22 MFH in May 1943.

No 23 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed between July and December 1941 under the control of Middle East Command at an unknown location and disbanded between December 1941 and June 1942.

No 24 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in November 1941 under the control of Middle East Command at Harrogate, moving to Egypt in January 1942, including Helwan and Burgh-el-Arab, then to Gambut and Tripoli (Libya) and was redesignated No 24 MFH in May 1943.

No 25 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in August 1942 under the control of AHQ Egypt at Wilmslow, moving to No 23 PTC, Helwan in November 1942 and was redesignated No 25 MFH in May 1943.

No 50 Medical Receiving Station

This was formed in February 1943? under the control of No 24 Group at RAF Wroughton, possibly moving to Tenterden and Fontwell and was redesignated No 50 MFH in May 1943?.

No 1 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed on 1 April 1952 under the control of 2nd TAF at Rostrup and was redesignated RAF Hospital Rostrup in December 1953.

No 1 RAF Field Hospital

This was formed in August 1943 at Luqa, Malta and became SSQ in May 1946.

No 21 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed from No 21 MRS in May 1943 under the control of MAAF at Benghazi, moving to Sicily July 1943 then to Italy by November and was at Foggia by Jan 1944, Serra Capriolo in February 1944, Florence in January 1945 and finally to Klagenfurt (Austria) in May, where it disbanded in June 1945.

No 22 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in May 1943 under the control of MAAF at Gambut, Helwan in Jan 1944, Aleppo in Feb 1944, Helwan in May 1944, Foggia in Jun 1944, Florence in Jan 1945  and moved to Aleppo (Syria), then moved to Italy in May 1944, Mondolfo in January 1945 and disbanded in November 1945.

No 24 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in May 1943 under the control of AHQ Levant at Tripoli in Jan 1944, with a detachment at Catania, moving to Tel Litwinsky in February 1944, then to Aleppo in May 1944, then Ceylon in August 1944 and disbanded in November 1945.

No 25 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in May 1943 under the control of NATAF at Helwan, moving to Sicily August 1943, to Italy in November and was at Naples in January 1944, with a detachment at Catania, moving to Corsica April, Cassamozza in June, then to France in August and Italy in October.  One source shows it as being at Kankesanturai in ACSEA by December 1944 and it disbanded in June 1945.

No 30 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in March 1943 under the control of NASAF at Bari, moving to Foggia by February 1944, then Termoli by January 1945 and disbanded on 31 July 1945.

No 31 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed on 1 March 1943 under the control of NASAF at Tunis, moving to Carthage in September, then to Italy by June 1944, later moving into Yugoslavia under Balkan Air Force and disbanded on 31 May 1945.

No 50 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in May 1943 under the control of No 83 Group at either Wroughton, Tenterden or Fontwell, moving to France in June 1944, to Eindhoven in September, then to Celle (Germany) in April 1945.  By September it was at Schleswig, where it became 50 RAF Hospital Schleswig in September 1945.

No 52 (RCAF) Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed before 1944 under the control of No 83 Group at an unknown location, later moving to France and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 53 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in September 1943 under the control of No 84 Group at Sawbridgeworth, moving to France in August, then to Belgium in September and to Germany in May 1945 disbanded September 1946 and became 53 RAF Hospital Hamburg in September 1945.

No 54 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in September 1943 under the control of No 84 Group at Sawbridgeworth, moving to France in August 1944, to Belgium in September, to the Netherlands in March 1945, then to Celle (Germany) in April 1945 and was redesignated No 54 RAF Hospital in September 1945.

No 55 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in January 1944 at Fontwell, moving to France in August, then to Belgium in September and the Netherlands in April 1945.  It moved to Gutersloh (Germany) in September 1945, where it was redesignated No 55 RAF Hospital.

No 56 Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in July 1944 at Pershore, later moving to Down Ampney, then to Digri (India) in November.  In March 1946 it moved to Iwakuni, Japan, where it was redesignated British Commonwealth Air Hospital in March 1946.

No 60 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed on 1 February 1944 under the control of No 221 Group at Imphal and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

No 61 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in July 1943 under the control of No 224 Group at Chittagong in Jan 1944 and disbanded in July 1945.

No 62 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed on 1 January 1943 under the control of No 224 Group at Ramu.  By February 1944 it was at Chittagong, Cox's Bazaar by April, Palel by December, Shillong by January 1945 and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

No 63 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This had been formed by January 1944 under the control of No 221 Group at Badapur, moving to Kailakandi by February, Kalaura by April, then to Kumbhirgram by December and disbanded on 31 October 1950.

No 64 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed by May 1945 at Cawnpore and was redesignated No 12 MFH later in 1945.

No 65 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in October 1944 at West Kirby in October 1944, moving to Calcutta in December 1944 and to Mingaladon in May 1945 and became RAF Hospital Mingaladon in November 1945.

No 67 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in 1945 at Kyaukpyu, Ramree Island and disbanded in 1945.

No 69 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This had been formed by May 1945 at an unknown location and disbanded sometime after October 1945.

No 80 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in May 1945 at Hednesford, moving to Kowloon, Hong Kong in September 1945 and became RAF Hospital Hong Kong in January 1946.

No 81 RAF Mobile Field Hospital

This was formed in September 1945 at West Kirby, moving to Singapore in October 1945 where it was redesignated RAF Hospital Singapore in January 1946.

Dental units

RAF Dental Service (India)

This was formed in 1942 under the control of AHQ India at Delhi in Jan 1944 and probably disbanded on in 1947.

No 200 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 201 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 202 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 203 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 220 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 221 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 222 Mobile Dental Laboratory

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 150 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed in May/Jun 1944 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 151 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed in May/Jun 1944 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 152 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed in May/Jun 1944 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 153 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 154 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 155 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 156 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 157 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 158 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 159 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 160 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 161 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 162 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 163 Mobile Dental Surgery (Tender Type)

This was formed between June 1944 and January 1945 under the control of No 85 Group at an unknown location and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 100 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 101 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 102 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 103 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 104 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 105 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 106 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 107 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 108 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 109 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 110 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 111 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 112 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 113 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 114 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 115 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on before January 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 116 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on May/June 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 117 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on May/June 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 118 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on May/June 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 119 Mobile Dental Unit

This was formed on May/June 1944 under the control of HQ 2nd TAF at an unknown location being transferred to No 85 Group on formation and probably disbanded in 1945.

Other Medical Related units

Air Ambulance Service

This was started on an experimental basis on 1 June 1925 at Halton but was ended on 19 December 1925.

No 1 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Heliopolis and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 2 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Heliopolis and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 3 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Cairo West and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 4 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Cairo West and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 5 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Luxor and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 6 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Luxor and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 7 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at Wadi Saidna and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 8 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at Wadi Saidna and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 9 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at El Geneina and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 10 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at El Geneina and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 11 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at El Fasher and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 12 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at El Fasher and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 13 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at El Obeid and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 14 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at Wadi Halfa and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 15 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at Khartoum and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 16 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of No 203 Group at Asmara and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 17 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of AHQ East Africa at Nairobi and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 18 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of AHQ East Africa at Nairobi and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 19 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of AHQ East Africa at Nairobi and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 20 Anti Amaryl Unit

This was formed in about March/April 1943 under the control of AHQ East Africa at Nairobi and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

Anti Locust Flight (Middle East)

This was formed from Anti-Locust Flight (Persia) on 4 March 1944 at Jask in Persia prior to moving to Kenya.  It left Jask on 19 March, arriving at Eastleigh on 31 March and moved to Nakuru on 8 April, returning to Eastleigh on 29 May 1944.  It operated detachments at Nairobi from 26 September 1945 and at both Nakuru and Kisumu from 1 October 1945 and disbanded on 15 January 1946.

Anti Locust Flight (Persia)

This was formed from  on 1 February 1943 under the control of No 215 Group at Ahwaz.  It moved around the region to Banda Abbas on 10 April, Kermanshah on 12 May, Teheran on 3 September, Jask on 18 November where it was redesignated Anti-Locust Flight (Middle East) on 4 March 1944, prior to relocating to Kenya.

Anti-Locust Research Unit (Middle East)

This was formed on 1 February 1945 in East Africa and disbanded on 31 October 1945.

No 1 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of NATAF at Lucera, moving to Foggia by March, Lago by June 1944, then to Biferno in  BAF by January 1945 and probably disbanded later in 1945.

No 2 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of East Africa at Port Reitz, moving to Nairobi by May and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 3 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Levant at Aleppo, moving to Jerusalem by April, them being split between Jerusalem and Qastina by January 1945 and probably disbanded later in 1945.

No 4 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of NATAF at Lucera, moving to Torre del Greco by March, to Foggia by May, then to Biferno in BAF in June and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 5 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Iraq at Abadan in November 1943, moving to Beirut in January 1944 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 6 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in August 1942 under the control of AHQ Iraq at Habbaniya, moving to Basrah in January 1943, then to Muharraq Island, Bahrein, in October 1944 and probably disbanded on in December 1944.

No 7 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed about December 1944/January 1945 under the control of AHQ Levant at Ramat David in Jan 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 8 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in April 1943 under the control of MEC at Idku, moving to Helwan in December and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 9 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed on 1 May 1943 under the control of MEC at Abu Sueir in Jan 1944 to at least June before moving to Aleppo by December and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 10 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of East Africa at Dar-es-Salaam, moving to Nairobi by May and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 11 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in June 1943 under the control of NASAF at Lucera. It was reduced to Number-plate basis in March 1944, but was reactivated and was at Serra Capriolo in April, moving to Trigno in June 1944, then to Rimini in January 1945 and probably disbanded later in 1945.

No 12 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of Levant at Kliete, moving to Amriya by May 1944, then to Kifhsia, Greece by January 1945 and probably disbanded on later in 1945.

No 13 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed about December 1944/January 1945 under the control of AHQ Levant at Ramat David and probably disbanded later in 1945.

No 23 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in February 1945 under the control of  at Dalbhumgarh, moving to Rangoon (Burma) in June, then to to Saigon (Vietnam) in September 1945 and disbanded in October 1945.

No 24 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in May 1945 at Ramree and disbanded in September 1945.

No 30 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in April 1945 at Dalbhumgarh and probably disbanded in June 1945.

No 31 Anti-Malaria Control Unit

This was formed in April 1945 at Dalbhumgarh, moving to Armada Road in July, then to Baigachi in August, Madras in September, then finally to Batavia (Java) in October 1945 and disbanded in January 1946.

Anti-Malarial Flight

This was formed on 1 June 1944 under the control of MAAF at an unknown location and its fate is unknown.

No 2 Anti-Mosquito Unit

This was formed in 1951 at Akrotiri and disbanded post 1965.

Aviation Candidates Mecical Board and Central Medical Board

This was formed as a RFC unit in 1917 under the control of  at Holly Hill, Hampstead and was redesignated Central Medical Board between December 1921 and July 1922.

Aviation Candidate Medical Boards

This was formed between August 1940 and January 1941 under the control of No 20 Group at Deacons Bank Chambers, Talbot Square, Blackpool and was absorbed into ACSBs there between January and July 1941.

Aviation Candidate Selection and Medical Board

This was formed in June/July 1940 under the control of No 20 Group at Padgate and was split into separate ACMBs and ACSBs on moving to Blackpool between August 1940 and January 1941.

Canadian Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on by January 1945 at Gatwick, moving to Redhill on 1 February, after which its fate is unknown.

Casualty Air Evacuation Centre

This was formed in 1944 under the control of No 46 Group at Down Ampney, moving to B14 Amblie by September then to B6 Coulombs on 8 September, remaining there until it disbanded on 1 May 1946.

Casualty Air Evacuation Flight

This was formed on 1 May 1950 at Kuala Lumper, equipped with two Westland Dragonfly helicopters.  It moved to Changi and was redesignated the Far East Casualty Evacuation Flight on 22 May 1950.

Casualty Air Evacuation Squadron

This was formed as a temporary unit on 27 August 1952 under the control of  at the RAF MRU, Chessington, for use during Casualty Evacuation Exercises.  It moved to Lyneham on 28 August, from whhere it sent section to Abingdon and Benson on 1 September, then to Kenley on 5 September befored returning to Chessington, where it and disbanded on 6 September 1952.

No 1 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 16 August 1943 under the control of No 83 Group at Croydon, moving to Redhill on 14 November, Hendon on on 28 November but was at Dutton Holmstall by 4 January 1944, where it disbanded into No 91 (F) SP on 10 January 1944.

It reformed as No 1 CEU (Airfield Type) on 16 November 1944 under the control of 2nd TAF at B56 Brussels/Evere.  By 27 March 1945, 'A' Flight was at B65 Maldehem and 'B' Flight was at Eindhoven the latter moving to B118 Celle by 17 April, the HQ having moved to B100 Goch by 10 April.  It had returned to B56 Brussels/Evere by 10 July, where it disbanded in No 2 Group on 6 August 1945.

No 2 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 16 August 1943 under the control of No 83 Group at Croydon, moving to Tangmere on 17 Octobe and to Fontwell on14 November, where it disbanded into No 92 (F) SP on 10 January 1944.

It reformed in July 1945 at Digri and disbanded on 30 September 1945.

No 3 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 23 September 1943 under the control of No 84 Group at Sawbridgeworth, moving to Weasenham Hall, West Raynham by 2 December then to Hendon by 2 January 1944, where it disbanded into No 93 (F) SP on 10 January 1944.

No 4 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 23 September 1943 under the control of No 84 Group at Sawbridgeworth, moving to Hunsdon by 2 December and disbanded into No 94 (F) SP on 10 January 1944.

No 5 (RCAF) Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 1 January 1944 under the control of No 2 Group at Snailwell, moving to Fontwell on 14 March.  It was at Midhurst by 16 April under No 83 Group and moved to continent after D-Day, arriving near St Gabriel on 26 June, where it disbanded on 13 August 1944.

No 6 (RCAF) Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 10 May 1944 under the control of No 84 Group at Broadwell and disbanded on 24 August 1944.

No 7 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on in September 1944 at Comilla, moving to Agartala on 5 December then to Imphal on 30 December.  It moved to Shwebo on 12 February 1945, top Sadung on 1 April, Meiktila on 12 April, Magwe on 14 May, Mingaladon on 31 July, where it remained until December when it moved to Medan, joining No 232 Group and disbanded on 20 February 1946.

No 8 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on in September 1944 at Comilla, moving to Imphal on 14 February 1945, to Monywa on 20 March, Meiktila on 15 April then to Yelahanka in August, where it disbanded on 28 October 1945.

No 9 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 at Kemajoran, moving to Jharsaguda on 19 December, Comilla on 26 February 1945, Monywa on 9 April, Meiktila on 3 May, Myingyan on 8 May back to Meiktila on 31 July then to Bangkok in November.  In January 1946 it was at Batavia under No 232 Group and disbanded on 1 August 1946.

No 10 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 at an unknown location, moving to Jharsaguda on 19 December, Comilla on 26 February 1945, Monywa on 9 April, Meiktila on 3 May, Toungoo on 8 May and finally to Penang in October, where it disbanded on 10 November 1945.

No 11 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 in the UK for service with ACSEA.  It arrived in Bombay on 5 December, going to Jharsaguda on 18 December, then to Chittagong on 20 March 1945, Comilla on 23 April, Patenga on 1 June and finally to Yelahanka in September, where it disbanded on 28 October 1945.

No 12 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 25 October 1944 West Kirby for service with ACSEA  It arrived in Bombay on 5 December, going to Jharsaguda on 19 December, then to Chittagong on 21 March 1945, Akyab on 30 April, Maunubyn on 19 May, back to Akyab on 31 July and finally to Hmawbi in September, where it disbanded on 28 October 1945.

No 13 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 an unknown location for service with ACSEA.  It moved to Jharsaguda on 19 December, then onto Akyab on 21 March 1945, to Ramu on 19 April, Kyaukpyu on 19 May and finally to Kallang on 14 November, where it disbanded on 31 March 1946.

No 14 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 an unknown location for service with ACSEA.  It moved to Jharsaguda on 19 December, then onto Agartala on 14 March 1945, to Comilla on 25 March, Meiktila in May, Pegu on 25 May and finally to Mingaladon on 27 May, where it disbanded on 28 October 1945.

No 15 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 12 October 1944 in the UK for service with ACSEA but didn't assemble until 14 December at Worli.  It moved to Jharsaguda on 19 December, then onto Calcuta on 31 January 1945, to Comilla on 14 May, Patenga on 9 August and finally to Chittagong later in August, where it disbanded on 28 October 1945.

No 16 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 17 June 1945 under the control of Tiger Force at Ibsley but its fate is unknown.

No 17 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed on 29 May 1945 at Ibsley but its fate is unknown.

No 20 Casualty Air Evacuation Unit

This was formed by 4 October 1944 under the control of No 300 Wing at Manus in the Admiralty Islands and disbanded in No 300 Group on 1 November 1945.

Casualty Clearing Station

This was formed in about January 1941 under the control of British Forces in Aden at Sheikh Othman and disbanded in about January 1943.

Casualty Evacuation Flight

This was formed on 14 August 1956 under the control of No 27 Group at Yatesbury and disbanded on 23 December 1956.

Central Medical Board

This was formed between December 1921 and July 1922 under the control of Coastal Area at 3-4 Clement's Inn, London WC2 and was redesignated the Central Medical Establishment between March 1926 and September 1928.

Central Medical Establishment

This was formed between March 1926 and September 1928 under the control of Coastal Area at 3-4 Clement's Inn, London WC3, moving to Halton between January and July 1941 but was back in London by July 1942 and had been transferred to No 28 Group by January 1943 but a disbandment date as not yet been found.

Command Medical Board

This was formed between December 1941 and June 1942 under the control of AHQ Egypt at Heliopolis until at least June 1944 but by January 1945 was in Naples and probably disbanded on in 1945.

No 1 Central Medical Board

This was formed in August 1942 under the control of AHQ India at Delhi and was redesignated No 10 CMB in August 1943.

No 2 Central Medical Board

This was formed in August 1942 under the control of AHQ India at Poona, moving to Calcutta in July 1943 and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 10 Central Medical Board

This was formed in August 1943 under the control of AHQ India at Delhi in Jan 1944 and disbanded in about November 1945.

No 11 Central Medical Board

This was formed June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ India at Calcuta and disbanded on an unknown date.

RAF Central Laboratory

This was formed in October 1917 at ?, as a RFC unit becoming a RAF unit on 1 April 1918.  It moved to Finchley in 1919 and was redesignated the RAF Pathological Laboratory on moving to Halton in January 1925.

RAF Centre of Aviation Medicine Flight

This was formed on an unknown date (1998?) at Boscombe Down for use by the RAF Centre for Aviation Medicine at Henlow and is probably still in existence.

DDT Spray Flight

This was formed on 10 March 1945 at Digri was redesignated No 1354 DDT Flight in July 1945.

Experimental Air Ambulance Service

See Air Ambulance Service

Far East Casualty Evacuation Flight

This was formed from the Casualty Air Evacuation Flight on 22 May 1950 at Changi, being placed under the Far East Transport Wing on 1 January 1951 and was redesignated No 194 Squadron on 2 February 1953.

 (No 1) Airmen's Convalescent Depot

This was formed in March 1940 under the control of No 20 Group at Aviation Candidate Selection and Medical Board and disbanded in 1946.

No 3 Airmen's Convalescent Depot

This was formed between July and December 1941 under the control of No 20 Group at Cosford and disbanded on an unknown date.

No 2 Airmen's Convalescent Depot

This was formed in August 1941 under the control of No 20 Group at Hoylake.  It had been transferred to No 28 Group by January 1943 and disbanded sometime after December 1944.

No 10 Airmen's Convalescent Depot

This was formed in August 1942 under the control of AHQ Levant at Tel Aviv and was redesignated No 10 Medical Rehabilitation Unit on 31 May 1945.

Base Convalescent Depot

This was formed in June 1944 under the control of No 85 Group at Aston Down, moving later to Avening Court, then to Nyetimber, Sussex and disbanded in January 1945.

RAF Convalescent Depot, Haldon

This was formed in October 1939 at Haldon and disbanded in November 1939.

RAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of NAAF at Guyotville and disbanded on an unknown date.

Convalescent Hospital

This was formed on in January 1919 at Shirley Park, Croydon and disbanded in November 1919.

Officers' Convalescent Hospital

This was formed as part of the RAF Central Hospital on in May 1919? at Avenue House, Finchley and disbanded in November 1919.

RAF Officers' Convalescent Hospital

This was formed between May and November 1939 under the control of No 24 Group at Torquay and disbanded between in June 1943.

RAF Officers' Convalescent Hospital

This was formed in June 1943 at Cleverleys', Blackpool as a result of the convelescent hospital in Torquay being twice damaged in bombing raids and disbanded in November 1945.

RAF Convalescent Hospital

This was formed in October 1918 at Matlock, Derbyshire and disbanded in April 1919.

RAF Convalescent Hospital

This was formed in January 1919 at Nun Appleton Hall, Bolton Percy, Yorkshire and disbanded in November 1919.

No 1 WAAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed on 1 March 1942 at Thurlow Hotel, Torquay, Devon and disbanded on 31 December 1942.

No 2 WAAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed between December 1941 and June 1942 at Dungaval and was redesignated WAAF Convalescent Depot in March 1943.

No 11 WAAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed in December 1944 under the control of AHQ Egypt at Alexandria, moving to Port Fouad, Port Said in December 1946 and disbanded in June 1947.

WAAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed in March 1943 at Dungaval, moving to Studley Priory in January 1945 and disbanded in June 1946.

No 1 RAF Convalescent Depot

This was formed in July 1946 at Priwall Travenmunde, Germany, moving to Bad Hartzburg, Germany in November 1946 and disbanded in December 1946.

No 1 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of No 214 Group possibly at Kairouan, moving to San Savero by February, Vasto by June, then to Falconara by January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 2 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Levant possibly at Jerusalum, moving to Ein Shemer by December and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 3 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of NATAF possibly at Foggia, moving to Naples by June, then to Florence by January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 4 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Malta possibly at Malta, moving to Madra by June, then to Cassandra by January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 5 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Levant possibly at Lydda, moving to Gaza by March, Ein Shemer by December, then to Haifa by January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 6 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of MEC possibly at El Firdan, moving to Gamil by May, back to El Firdan by June, then to Ballah by January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945.

No 7 (Middle East) Field Hygiene Unit

This was formed between June 1943 and January 1944 under the control of AHQ Egypt possibly at Cairo, moving to Almaza by May, Ismailia by June to at least January 1945 and probably disbanded in 1945

Halton Hospital Orderlies Training Depot

This was formedbefore April 1920 at Halton and was redesignated Hospital Orderlies Training Depot between July 1920 and July 1921.

Halton Medical HQ

This was formed before April 1920 at Halton and disbanded between May 1920 and July 1921.

Hospital Base Accounts Office

This was formed between January and May 1940 under the control of No 24 Group at Ruislip, Middlesex and disbanded  between July 1942 and January 1943.

Hospital Orderlies Training Depot

This was formed on July 1920 and July 1921 at Halton and was redesignated Medical Training Establishment & Depot between July 1927 and September 1928.

School of Hygiene

This was formed in May 1942 under the control of AHQ Egypt at Almaza and was redesignated No 2 School of Hygiene in December 1944.

No 2 School of Hygiene

This was formed in December 1944 at Almaza, later moving to Devoirsoir and disbanded on 31 August 1954.

School of Hygiene

This was formed between June 1942 and January 1943 under the control of No 28 Group at Halton and disbanded on sometime after 31 March 1948.

The Medical Flight

This was formed in 1918 at Hendon to return injured pilots to flying duties and was redesignated No 29 Training Squadron on 1 July 1918.

Medical HQ, Ireland

This was formed before April 1920 at Baldonnell and disbanded between April and May 1920.

Joint Services Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed in 1985 at Headley Court and when the MRU at Chessington was amalgamated with the Officers MRU and it remains there to the present day.

Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed in July 1945 under the control of No 28 Group at Chessington, for WOs, NCOs and Airmen.  It was redesignated Joint Services Rehabilitation Unit in August 1968 and closed in 1985 on being amalgamated with Headley Court.

Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed by redesignating No 2 MRU on 31 December 1950 at Collaton Cross and disbanded post 1959.

Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1949 at Headley Court for officers and was redesignated Joint Services Rehabilitation Unit in 1985.

No 1 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed on 1 May 1945 under the control of  at Blackpool , moving to Chessington in July and was redesignated Medical Rehabilitation Unit, Chessington on 31 December 1950.

No 2 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed in 1940? at Hoylake, moving to Collaton Cross in January 1946 and was redesignated Medical Rehabilitation Unit, Collaton Cross on 31 December 1950.

No 3 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed from the RAF MRU in March 1943 under the control of No 28 Group at RAF Loughborough, with a detachment at Mongewell Park and disbanded in July 1946.

No 4 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed on in May 1945 at Cosford and disbanded on 31 October 1946.

No 5 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1946 at Mongewell Park and disbanded on 31 May 1950.

No 10 Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed from No 10 Airmen's Convalescent Depot on 1 June 1945 at Tel Aviv and disbanded on 30 June 1945.

No 108 Personnel Rehabilitation Centre

This was formed in April 1945 at Cosford and was redesignated No 4 MRU on in May 1945.

RAF Medical Rehabilitation Unit

This was formed on in November 1942 under the control of No 28 Group at RAF Loughborough, with a detachment at Mongewell Park  and was redesignated No 3 MRU in March 1943.

Medical Training Centre

This was formed in August 1943 under the control of No 223 Group at Chakrata, later based at Saharanpur, Jalahilli, Secunderabad, Hakimpet and Poona and disbanded in June 1947.

Medical Training Depot

See Medical Training Establishment and Depot

Medical Training Establishment  & Depot

This was formed between July 1927 and September 1928 at Halton, moving to Harrogate between January and July 1941.  It had been transferred to No 28 Group by January 1943, moving to Sidmouth between January and June 1943, then to Cheddington and later Marsworth (1947 - 48).  Its final location was at Moreton in Marsh from 1 January 1949 to at least August 1950 and disbanded at some point after this.

Medical Statistical Bureau

This was formed between December 1941 and June 1942 under the control of No 27 Group at Ruislip, Middlesex and disbanded  between June and July 1942.

RAF Pathological Laboratory

This was formed in January 1935 under the control of RAF Halton at Halton and was redesignated the RAF Institute of Pathology and Tropical Medicine in March 1935.

RAF Institute of Pathology and Tropical Medicine

This was formed in March 1935 under the control of RAF Halton at Halton and disbanded in 1995?

Research Laboratory and Medial Officers' School of Instruction

This was formed before April 1920 under the control of Coastal Area at Halton and was redesignated the Medical Training Depot between March 1926 and September 1928.

No 1 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about January/February 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Almaza, moving to Tura in March/April, to Castel Benito in April/May and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 2 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about January/February 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Jerusalem, moving to Haifa in May/June 1943 and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 3 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about April/May 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at in the Western Desert and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 4 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about May/June 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Almaza and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 5 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about May/June 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Aqir and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

No 6 Mobile Sanitary Unit

This was formed in about May/June 1943 under the control of Middle East Command at Tura and disbanded between June 1943 and January 1944.

Sparrow (Ambulance) Flight

Equipped with a version of the Handley Page Harrow specifically developed for the casualty evacuation role known as the 'Sparrow', it was part of No 271 Squadron and remained as such when the squadron re-equipped with Dakotas in August 1943.  This flight remained at Doncaster until 2 June 1944 when it moved to Watchfield under No 46 Group.  It moved to the continent on 2 August and by September was at B6 Coulombs, moving on to B48 Amiens-Glisy on 14 September then to B56 Brussels/Evere by December.  Here it lost seven aircraft during the Luftwaffe's Operation 'Bodenplatte' on New Years Day 1945 but continued to operate its remaining 'Sparrows' augmented by a few Dakotas up to and beyond VE-Day, after which its fate is unknown.

Specialists Medical Establishment

This was formed May/Jun 1925 under the control of Coastal Area at Halton and disbanded between March 1926 and September 1928.

No 1 Mobile Surgical Unit

This was formed in May 1943 under the control of AHQ Bengal at Calcutta, moving to Raipur in April 1945 and disbanded in July 1945.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003©

         [Top of Page]