Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Aircraft Ferrying and Movements Units


This section covers units involved in the ferrying of aircraft, excluding units of the Air Transport Auxiliary, units involved in the movement of personnel and equipment and also training units, the latter being covered in the relevant training sections.

No 1 Aerial Route

This was formed on 23 June 1919 at St Raphael to handle the delivery of Handley Page aircraft from the UK to Egypt, utilising Route Stations at Buc ('A'), Lyons/Bron ('B'), Istres ('C'), Pisa ('D') and Taranto ('G').  Its HQ was moved toTaranto on14 January 1920 and disbanded on in April 1920.

Aircraft Control Centre, Prestwick

This was formed from Transatlantic Aircraft Control on 1 May 1946 at Prestwick and was redesignated Scottish Air Traffic Control Centre (Military) on 22 January 1974.

No 1 Aircraft Delivery Flight

This was formed on 22 March 1941 as No 1 Aircraft Delivery Flight but was later redesignated No 1 Delivery Flight under the control of No 11 Group at Hendon.  It made various moves to Croydon (23 Jan 1942), North Weald (4 Jul 1944), Redhill (17 Oct), Middle Wallop (16 Jan 1945), Odiham (14 Feb), Andrews Fied (3 Jun) and finally to to Hawkinge in September, where it disbanded on 9 September 1945.

No 2 Aircraft Delivery Flight

This was formed on 18 March 1941 as No 2 Aircraft Delivery Flight but was later redesignated No 2 Delivery Flight under the control of No 10 Group at Colerne, moving to Cranfield on 23 July 1943 and disbanded on 31 July 1944.

No 3 Aircraft Delivery Flight

This was formed on 7 April 1941 as No 3 Aircraft Delivery Flight but was later redesignated No 3 Delivery Flight under the control of No 9 Group at Hawarden to undertake delivery of aircraft to both Nos 9 and 12 Groups.   It made various moves to High Ercall (10 Jan 1942), Detling (23 Jul 1943), High Ercall (20 Sep), Catterick, now in No 11 Group (22 Oct) and finally to Acklington on 8 November, where it disbanded on 22 November 1943.

No 4 Aircraft Delivery Flight

This was formed on 13 April 1941 as No 4 Aircraft Delivery Flight but was later redesignated No 4 Delivery Flight at Grangemouth to undertake delivery of aircraft to both Nos 9 and 12 Groups.   It made various moves to Turnhouse (7 Jan 1942), Heston, now in No 11 Group (24 Jul 1943), Detling (21 Sep), Odiham (14 Nov), Acklington (25  Nov), Clifton in No 12 Group (8 Mar 1944), Hutton Cranswick (7 Jun 1945) and finally back to Clifton (Jun 1945), where it disbanded on 31 October 1945.

Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East)

The HQ of this unit was formed from No 1 Delivery Unit on 15 December 1941 under the control of No 206 Group at the houseboat 'Medina' on the River Nile.  It initially used LG100 Wadi Natrun, moving to Abu Sueir on 18 July 1942 then to LG 209 from 3 December.  The HQ moved to 39 Sharia Ikhshid, Rhoda Island, Cairo on 22 August 1942, where it disbanded on 7 December 1942.

No 1 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East)

The HQ of this unit was formed from the Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East) on 7 December 1942 at 39 Sharia Ikhshid, Rhoda Island, Cairo, using LG 100 Wadi Natrun and Port Sudan.  The HQ moved to 77 Rue Tantah, Heliopolis on 3 July 1943, coming under No 282 Wing on 1 February 1944 and was redesignated No 5 Ferry Unit on 23 September 1944.

No 2 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East)

This was formed from No 1 Section, Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East) on 7 December 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at LG 209, moving to LG 237 (Kilo 40) on 15 February 1943.  It operated a detachment at Berka Main from March, which moved to Castel Benito in Ooctober until 7 Januay 1944.  On 1 February 1944 it was transferred to No 282 Wing and it moved to Gebel Hamzi in June 1944, where it was redesignated No 2 Ferry Unit on 23 September 1944.

No 3 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East)

This was formed from  on 15 April 1943 at Ras el Ma (Fez) with a detachment atSetif to ferry airtcraft throughout the Middle East.  By 21 January 1944 it was at Oujda and was redesignated No 3 Ferry Unit on 23 September 1944.

No 4 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East)

This was formed from  on 25 May 1943 under the control of No 216 Group at Azizia, moving to Sorman on 19 July, tripoli on 5 November, Bone on 29 November, Bari on 14 December, Catania by 21 January 1944 and finally to Jesi  on 21 September, where it was redesignated No 4 Ferry Unit on 23 September 1944.

No 1 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from No 1 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Kemble, moving to Pershore on 29 September and disbanded into No 1 Ferry Unit on 10 October 1944.

No 2 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from No 2 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Filton and disbanded into No 15 Ferry Unit on 1 July 1945.

No 3 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from No 3 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Llandow and disbanded into No 16 Ferry Unit on 15 August 1945.

No 4 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from No 4 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Melton Mowbrey and amalgamated with No 304 FTU as No 12 Ferry Unit on 9 October 1944.

No 5 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from Transatlantic AP&DU on 5 July 1944 at Dorval and disbanded on 20 November 1945.

No 6 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from the Transport Command Unit, Bermuda on 5 July 1944 at Bermuda and disbanded on 20 November 1945.

No 7 Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from Transatlantic AP&DU on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 45 Group at Nassau and disbanded on 1 October 1945.

No 11 (Landplane) Aircraft Preparation and Modification Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1945 under the control of No 16 Group at Thornaby and disbanded on 25 May 1946.

No 12 (Flying Boat) Aircraft Preparation and Modification Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1945 under the control of No 19 Group at Calshot and disbanded on 25 April 1946.

No 12 Aircraft Modification Unit

This was formed on 20 September 1945 at Swinderby, for service with ACSEA.  It moved to Wyton in March 1946 and disbanded on 1 August 1946.

Aircraft Reception Party

This was formed on 16 March 1941 at Abu Sueir but its fate is unknown.

No 1 Aircraft Reception Unit

This was formed on 2 October 1945 under the control of BAFO at Handorf and was redesignated No 3 ARU on 28 November 1945.

It reformed from No 3 ARU on 28 November 1945 under the control of BAFO at Coxyde and disbanded into No 2 ARU on 30 April 1946.

No 2 Aircraft Reception Unit

This was formed on 2 October 1945 under the control of BAFO at an unknown location but was at Eindhoven by 1 January 1950 and disbanded on 15 January 1951.

No 3 Aircraft Reception Unit

This was formed from  on 2 October 1945 under the control of BAFO at Coxyde and was redesignated No 1 ARU on 28 November 1945.

It reformed from No 1 ARU on 28 November 1945 under the control of BAFO at Handorf but its fate is unknown.

Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed from the Air Freight Mobile Section, RAF Lyneham on 23 August 1942 at Lyneham and disbanded on 19 June 1944.

Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed by 15 January 1943 at Mount Batten and was there until at least 15 December 1943 after which its fate is unknown.

Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed from the Transatlantic Reception Party on 16 July 1944 at Prestwick but its fate is unknown.

No 20 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Heliopolis and was absorbed into No 1 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 21 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Cairo West and was absorbed into No 10 (Terminal) Staging Post in September 1944.

No 22 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Castel Benito and was absorbed into No 17 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 23 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Catania and was absorbed into No 62 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 24 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Naples and was absorbed into No 61 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 25 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Bari and was absorbed into No 62 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 26 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 at Foggia and was absorbed into No 63 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 27 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1943 at Gibraltar and was absorbed into Staging Post, Gibraltar in October 1943.

No 28 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 26 June 1943 at Rabat Sale and was absorbed into No 70 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 29 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed on 5 September 1943 at Maison Blanche and was absorbed into No 72 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 30 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Pomigliano and was absorbed into No 65 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 31 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Luqa and was absorbed into No 64 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 32 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Lydda and was absorbed into No 14 Staging Post at Ramat David in September 1944.

No 33 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Habbaniya and was absorbed into No 40 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 34 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Shaibah and was absorbed into No 42 Staging Post in September 1944.

No 35 Air Despatch and Reception Unit

This was formed in 1943 at Bahrein and was absorbed into No 43 Staging Post in September 1944.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 27 October 1942 under the control of No 226 Group at Allahabad and was absorbed into No 1 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 1 October 1942 under the control of  at Bangalore and was absorbed into No 2 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 1 October 1942 under the control of  at Bombay and was absorbed into No 3 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 11 May 1942 under the control of  at Chabua and was absorbed into No 4 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 1 October 1942 under the control of  at Delhi and was absorbed into No 6 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 1 October 1942 under the control of  at Dum Dum and was absorbed into No 7 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 11 May 1942 under the control of  at Kunming and was absorbed into No 9 Air Transit Section on 16 July 1943.

Air Transit Section

This was formed on 1 October 1942 under the control of No 225 Group at Madras and disbanded on 16 July 1943.

No 1 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Allahabad on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 36 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 2 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Yelahanka on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 58 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 3 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Bombay on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 56 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 4 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Chabua on 16 July 1943 and disbanded on 1 September 1944.

No 5 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Cholavarum, moving to St Thomas Mount on 10 March 1944 on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 57 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 6 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Delhi on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 67 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 7 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Dum Dum on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 38 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 8 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Mauripur on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 48 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 9 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Kunming on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 48 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 10 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Ratmalana on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 32 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 11 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Chittagong/Patenga on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 78 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 12 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Comilla on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 79 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 13 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Agartala on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 21 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 14 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Imphal on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 102 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 15 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Ranchi on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 4 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 16 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Amarda Road on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 67 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 17 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Kharagpur on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 5 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 18 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Bally on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 69 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 19 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Feni on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 27 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 20 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Kumbhirgram on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 7 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 21 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Digri on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 60 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 22 Air Transit Section

This was formed from the Air Transit Section at Cox's Bazaar on 16 July 1943 and disbanded into No 8 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

No 23 Air Transit Section

This was formed in December 1943 at Maharajpur and disbanded into No 49 Staging Post on 1 September 1944.

British Airways Reception Flight

This was formed from British Airways Section on 1 August 1942 at Kilo 26/LG224 and disbanded on 30 April 1943.

British Airways Section

This was formed in 1942 at Kilo 26/LG224 and was redesignated British Airways Reception Flight on 1 August 1942.

Catalina Ferry Flight

This was formed on in June 1945 at Dar-es-Salaam, moving to Kipevu on 6 July and disbanded at Mombasa on 11 June 1946.

Central Despatch, Pool of Pilots

This was formed on 1 April 1918 at Orchard Hotel , 5 Portman Street, London W1 to provide a pool of ferry pilots and disbanded on 1 July 1919.

Central Ferry Control

This was formed by 1946 at Carrick House, Lypiatt Road, Cheltenham but its fate is unknown.

Civilian Reception Party

This was formed in November 1940 by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick to receive aircraft arriving from the USA and presumably was replaced by an RAF reception party in March 1941.

No 1 Delivery Flight

See No 1 Aircraft Delivery Flight

No 2 Delivery Flight

See No 2 Aircraft Delivery Flight

No 3 Delivery Flight

See No 3 Aircraft Delivery Flight

No 4 Delivery Flight

See No 4 Aircraft Delivery Flight

No 1 Delivery Unit

This was formed on 26 October 1941 under the control of No 206 group on the houseboat 'Medina' on the River Nile.  No 1 Section used LG100 Wadi Natrun but was redesignated No 1 Aircraft Delivery Unit (Middle East) on 15 December 1941.

East Africa Ferry Flight

This had been formed by 1946 at Mombasa and disbanded on 31 May 1946.

Ferry Command Preparation Unit

This was formed  around 1943 at an unknown location and disbanded in 1944?.

No 1 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 20 May 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at LG224/Cairo West.  From 8 August 1943 its statging posts were numbered 10-17, moving to No 4 Sharia Mourad Bat, Heliopolis as a section of RAF Heliopolis on 26 June 1944.

No 2 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 20 May 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at Wadi Seidna.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 20-29 and it was redesignated No 115 (Transport) Wing on 7 May 1944.

No 3 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 20 May 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at Sheikh Othman.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 30-33 and disbanded on 1 February 1944.

No 4 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 1 July 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at Habbaniya.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 40-44 and disbanded on 1 February 1944 with its duties being taken over by No 119 (Transport) Wing.

No 5 Ferry Control

This was formed on 7 February 1942 under the control of No 216 Group at Accra.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 50-54 and by June 1943 it was at Ikeja, where it was redesignated No 114 (Transport) Wing on 1 September 1943.

No 6 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 10 June 1942 under the control of No 207 Group at Kisumu and disbanded on 1 January 1943.

It reformed on 24 January 1943 at LG224/Cairo West.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 60-61 but its fate is unknown.

No 7 (Middle East) Ferry Control

This was formed on 1 April 1943 under the control of No 216 Group at Ras el Ma, moving to Rabat Sale on 14 September.  From 8 August 1943 its staging posts were numbered 70-72 and it disbanded on 6 November 1943 with its duties being taken over by No 284 (Transport) Wing.

No 8 Ferry Control

This had been formed by 1943 at Port Lyautey in French Morocco and disbanded on 3 April 1943.

No 21 Ferry Control

This was formed in May 1943 at Mauripur and was redesignated No 8 Ferry Unit on 1 September 1944.

No 22 Ferry Control

This was formed on 3 March 1943 under the control of No 179 Wing at Allahabad and was redesignated No 8 Ferry Unit on 1 September 1944.

No 23 Ferry Control

This was formed on 1 April 1943 under the control of No 179 Wing at Santa Cruz and was redesignated No 8 Ferry Unit on 1 September 1944.

Ferry Convoy Flight

This was formed by June 1944 at Allahabad, moving to Mauripur on 21 June and disbanded on 25 December 1944.

No 1 Ferry Crew Pool

This was formed from a Ferry Crew Pool previously located at Filton on 1 August 1943 under the control of No 44 Group at Lyneham, moving to Melton Mowbrey on 14 January 1944 and disbanded on 16 March 1944.

No 2 Ferry Crew Pool

This was formed in February 1943 at Dorval and was absorbed into No 6 Ferry Unit on 5 July 1944.

No 3 Ferry Crew Pool

This was formed in February 1943 at Reykjavik and was absorbed into No 7 Ferry Unit on 5 July 1944.

Ferry and Despatch Squadron

This was formed by January 1941 at Takoradi and disbanded in November 1941.

Ferry Flight, Cardington

This was formed by January 1939 at Cardington and disbanded on 16 January 1939.

Ferry Flight, Santa Cruz

This was formed on 7 May 1944 at Santa Cruz and disbanded on 18 June 1945.

Ferry Flight, Trichinoply

This was formed on 27 April 1944 under the control of No 23 Ferry Control at Trichinopoly and disbanded on 28 February 1946.

Ferrying Flight

This was formed on 31 May 1939 at Waddington to ferry aircraft to the Middle East but its fate is unknown.

Ferrying Pilots' Pool

This was formed on 25 August 1939 at Habbaniya but its fate is unknown.

HQ Service Ferry Pools

This was formed from No 4 (Continental) Ferry Pilots Pool on 7 November 1940 under the control of No 41 Group at Kemble.  It absorbed No 7 (S) FPP on 1 February 1941, No 8 in June and then Nos 10 and 11 on July, becoming responsible for overseas ferrying on 26 July.  On 1 October 1941 it was transferred to No 44 Group and was redesignated Ferry Training Unit on 11 November 1941, moving to Honeybourne at the same time.

No 1 Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed from Ferry Flight, Cardington on 1 January 1939 at Hucknall, being placed under No 41 Group on 26 February 1940 and disbanded on 10 May 1940.

No 2 Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed from Ferry Flight, Cardington on 16 January 1939 at Filton, being placed under No 41 Group on 26 February 1940 and was redesignated No 4 FPP on 1 April 1940.

No 4 (Continental) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed from No 2 (S) FPP on 1 April 1940 under the control of No 41 Group at Filton, initially as simply No 4 FPP but was retitled No 4 (C) FPP on 28 April, reverting to No 4 FPP in September and was redesignated HQ Service Ferry Pools on 7 November 1940.

No 7 (Service) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed on 5 November 1940 under the control of  at Kemble and was absorbed into HQ Service Ferry Pools on 1 February 1941.

No 8 (Service) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed on 5 November 1940 under the control of  at Hullavington, later moving to Stainbrook House, Kington Langley with flying taking place at Kemble and was absorbed into No 10 (Polish) Ferry Pilots Pool on 27 March 1941.

No 9 (Service) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed from 'B' Flight, No 4 FPP on 1 November 1940 under the control of  at Hawarden and was absorbed into HQ Service Ferry Pools on 10 February 1941.

No 10 (Polish) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed on 27 March 1941 at Stainbrook House, Kington Langley, absorbing No 8 FPP, with flying taking place at Hullavington and was absorbed into HQ Service Ferry Pools in July 1941.

No 11 (Service) Ferry Pilots Pool

This was formed on 4 April 1941 at Dumfries and was absorbed into HQ Service Ferry Pools in July 1941.

Transatlantic Ferry Pool

This was probably formed at Dorval but no further details are available at present.

No 1 Ferry Pool

This was formed on 3 December 1945 under the control of Maintenance Command at White Waltham and disbanded on 31 March 1946, its duties being taken over by No 3 FP.

No 2 Ferry Pool

This was formed on 1 December 1945 under the control of No 41 Group at Aston Down and was redesignated No 2 Home Ferry Unit on 7 June 1952.

No 3 Ferry Pool

This was formed on 30 November 1945 at Lichfield, moving to Polebrook on 15 March 1946, then to Henlow on 30 April 1947, where it disbanded on 10 September 1947.

No 4 Ferry Pool

This was formed on 30 November 1945 under the control of No 41 Group at Hawarden and was redesignated No 4 Home Ferry Unit on 7 June 1952.

No 5 Ferry Pool

This was formed on 15 October 1945 under the control of No 41 Group at Silloth and disbanded on 25 May 1950.

Ferry Pool

This was formed on 12 May 1941 at No 102 MU, Abu Sueir, moving to kilo 17 (Fayoum Road) on 1 October but its fate is unknown.

The Ferry Squadron

This was formed from Nos 147 and 167 Squadron on 15 September 1958 at Benson and disbanded on 1 December 1958.

Ferry Support Squadron

This was formed on 16 April 1956 at Benson and was redesignated No 173 Squadron on 2 September 1957.

Ferry Support Squadron

It reformed on 1 January 1958 under the control of Transport Command at Benson and disbanded into RAF Ferry Wing on 1 February 1958.

No 1 Ferry Pilot Training Unit

This had possibly formed by July 1945 at Dunsfold and possibly disbanded into No 1689 Ferry Training Flight.

No 1 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 301 FTU and No 1 Ferry Crew Pool on 16 March 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Pershore.  On 10 October 1944 it absorbed No Aircraft Preparation Unit, moving to St Merryn on 15 November 1956 then to Manston as Overseas Ferry Unit on 17 May 1958.

No 2 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 2 ADU on 23 September 1944 under the control of No 214 Group at Gebel Hamzi and was absorbed into No 5 FU at Cairo West on 1 December 1945.

No 2 Ferry Unit

It reformed as No 2 (Home) Ferry Unit from No 2 Ferry Pool on 7 February 1952 under the control of No 41 Group at Aston Down and was redesignated No 187 Squadron on 1 February 1953.

No 3 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 3 ADU on 23 September 1944 under the control of No 216 Group at Oujda, moving to Blida on 1 June 1945 and disbanded on 14 January 1946.

No 4 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 4 ADU on 23 September 1944 under the control of No 216 Group at Catania, moving to Jesi in January 1945, to Falconara in July hten to Capodichino in (October, where it disbanded on 14 January 1946.

It reformed as No 4 (Home) Ferry Unit from No 4 Ferry Pool on 7 February 1952 under the control of No 41 Group at Hawarden and was redesignated No 173 Squadron on 1 February 1953.

No 5 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 1 ADU (ME) on 23 September 1944 under the control of No 216 Group at Heliopolis, moving to Cairo West on 10 August 1945, where it absorbed No 2 FU on 1 December and disbanded on 15 March 1946.

No 6 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 2 Ferry Crew Pool, Civilian Ai Crew Pool , the Allied Air Crew Pool and the Ferry training Flight on 5 July 1944 under the control of  at Dorval and disbanded on 30 November 1945.

No 7 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 3 Ferry Crew Pool on 5 July 1944 under the control of No 45 Group at Reykjavik and disbanded on 1 October 1945.

No 8 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 21 Ferry Control on 1 September 1944 under the control of No 229 Group at Mauripur, moving to Drigh Road on 15 June 1945 and disbanded into No 202 SP on 18 June 1945.

No 9 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 22 Ferry Control on 1 September 1944 under the control of No 229 Group at Bamhrauli (Allahabad) and disbanded on 20 June 1945.

No 10 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 23 Ferry Control on 1 September 1944 under the control of No 109 Wing at Nagpur and disbanded on 16 June 1945.

No 11 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 303 FTU and No 3 OADU on 8 September 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Talbenny and disbanded into No 16 FU on 15 August 1945.

No 12 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 304 FTU and No 4 APU on 9 October 1944 under the control of No 44 Group at Melton Mowbrey and disbanded on 7 November 1945.

No 14 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 9 FU's Ferry Flights at Kanchrapara and Bishnapur and th eHudson Convoy Flight also at Bishnapur on 20 March 1945 under the control of No 117 Wing at Agartala, moving to Hathazari in June 1945 and disbanded into No 209 SP on 13 July 1945.

No 15 Ferry Unit

This was formed on 1 July 1945 at Filton and disbanded on 10 October 1945.

No 16 Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 3 APU and No 11 FU on 15 August 1945 under the control of No 44 Group at Dunkeswell, moving to St Mawgan in March/April 1946 and disbanded on 15 November 1946.

Glider Test and Ferry Flight (No 5 MU)

This was proposed to form on 3 January 1942 at Kemble but never received its ful complement of a\ircraft and disbanded on 15 April 1944.

Glider Test and Ferry Flight (No 6 MU)

This was proposed to form on 20 March 1943 at Brize Norton but formed at No 15 MU instead.

Glider Test and Ferry Flight (No 9 MU)

This was formed on 14 October 1942 at Cosford and disbanded in August 1945.

Glider Test and Ferry Flight (No 15 MU)

This was formed on 20 March 1943 at Wroughton and disbanded in August 1945.

No 41 Group Test Pilots Pool

This was formed on an unknown date under the control of No 41 Group at No 15 MU, Wroughton, moving to No 33 MU, Lyneham in March 1960 and disbanded on 1 November 1960.

Iceland Ferry Control Unit

This was formed on 11 August 1942 at Reykjavik but its fate is unknown.

No 1 (Long Range) Ferry Unit

This was formed from the Overseas Ferry Unit on in December 1952 at Kemble and was redesignated No 147 Squadron on 1 February 1953.

No 3 (Long Range) Ferry Unit

This was formed on 3 November 1952 at Abingdon and was redesignated No 167 Squadron on 1 February 1953.

Overseas Aircraft Control

This was formed following the disbandment of the Overseas Air Movement Control Unit on 15 August 1941 under the control of No 44 Group at Eastern Avenue, Barnwood, Gloucester.  It was transferred to No 46 Group at some point and then to Fighter Command on 1 September 1946 but its fate is unknown.

Overseas Air Deliveries Flight

This was formed from the Overseas Deliveries Flight on 23 September 1940 under the control of No 44 Group at Kemble and was redesignated Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit on 15 August 1941.

Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed from  on 15 August 1941 under the control of No 44 Group at Kemble, moving to Portreath on 5 November 1941 at which point ferry training was taken over by the FTU and it was redesignated No 1 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit on 26 January 1942.

No 1 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed by redesignating the Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit on 26 January 1942 under the control of No 44 Group at Portreath and disbanded on 10 October 1945.

No 2 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed from the OADU detachment on 26 January 1942 under the control of No 44 Group at Trebelzue (St Mawgan) and disbanded on 21 December 1946.

No 3 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed on 9 January 1943 under the control of No 44 Group at Hurn, moving to Talbenny between 21-25 July 1944.  It was reduced to cadre on 9 November and disbanded on 17 May 1945.

No 4 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed on 25 May 1944 under the control of No 46 Group at Redhill, operating with No 38 Group Support Unit at Bognor Regis.  It moved to Bognor Regis on 26 June, being reduced to 'number-plate' basis on 7 September and disbanded on 31 January 1945.

No 5 Overseas Aircraft Despatch Unit

This was formed on 5 June 1944 under the control of No 46 Group at Aston Down, operating with No 84 Group Support Unit, being reduced to 'number-plate' basis on 15 August and disbanded on 31 January 1945.

Overseas Aircraft Preparation Flight/Unit

This was formed the Overseas Aircraft Preparation Flight on 5 November 1941 under the control of No 44 Group at Kemble.  From December it operated four flights, No 1 (Wellingtons) and No 2 (Hurricanes and miscellaneous types) at Kemble, No 3 (Blenheims) and No 4 (Beaufort/Beaufighter) at Filton.  It was redesignated Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit on 1 January 1942 and was redesignated No 1 OAPU on 1 December 1942.

No 1 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from Nos 1 and 2 Flights, OAPU on 1 December 1942 under the control of No 44 Group at Kemble and was redesignated No 1 Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944.

No 2 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed from Nos 3 and 4 Flights, OAPU on 1 July 1943 under the control of No 44 Group at Filton and was redesignated No 2 Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944.

No 3 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1943 under the control of No 44 Group at Llandow and was redesignated No 3 Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944.

No 4 Overseas Aircraft Preparation Unit

This was formed on 1 September 1943 under the control of No 44 Group at Melton Mowbrey and was redesignated No 4 Aircraft Preparation Unit on 5 July 1944.

Overseas Air Movement Control Unit

This was formed on 9 September 1940 at Eastern Avenue, Barnwood, Gloucester to control non-operational flights outside of UK airspace and was split into Transatlantic Air Control (Prestwick) and Overseas air Control (Gloucester) on 23 September 1940.

Overseas Deliveries Flight

This was formed on 9 September 1940 at Kemble and was redesignated the Overseas Aircraft Delivery Flight on 23 September 1940.

Overseas Ferry Unit

This was formed from No 1 Ferry Unit, Pershore on 17 May 1948 under the control of Transport Command on moving to Manston, moving to Chivenor on 19 July 1950 then to Abingdon on 19 March 1951, where it disbanded on 1 February 1953, being replaced by Nos 147 and 167 Squadrons.

No 1 Packed Aircraft Transit Pool

This was formed on 20 January 1941 under the control of No 40 Group at Pleasureland Fairground, Hesketh Park Sands, Southport, being transferred to No 53 Wing on 24 March. It moved to Carr Lane, Birkdale, Southport on 10 March 1943, being placed in Care and Maintenance on 2 November 1945 and disbanded on 6 October 1946.

No 2 Packed Aircraft Transit Pool

This was formed on 1 February 1941 under the control of No 40 Group at St Lythans, near Barry.  It was transferred to No 53 Wing on 24 March 1941 was also placed in abeyance, its tasking being taken over by No 52 MU.  However it was  presumably reactivated and disbanded on 2 November 1945.

No 3 Packed Aircraft Transit Pool

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 53 Wing at Lanark Racecourse, moving to Newhouse by Motherwell on 1 December 1941 and disbanded on 1 November 1945.

RAF Delivery Flight Reception Party

This was formed in March 1941 at Prestwick but its fate is unknown.

RAF Transatlantic Reception Party

This was formed, possibly from the RAF Delivery Flight Reception Party on 15 July 1941 at Prestwick but its fate is unknown.

Test and Despatch Flight

This had formed by March 1942 at Drigh Road but its fate is unknown.

Test and Despatch Flight

This was formed on by 1941 at Takoradi and was redesignated No 1 Test Flight in April 1941.

No 1 Test Flight

This was formed from the Test and Despatch Flight on in April 1941 at Takoradi but its fate is unknown.

Transatlantic Aircraft Control

This was formed on 15 August 1941 under the control of No 44 Group at Prestwick and transferred to the Ministry of Civil Aviation on 1 May 1946.

Transatlantic Aircraft Preparation and Despatch Unit

This was formed on in 1943 under the control of No 45 Group at Dorval and was split into No 100 TSP and No 5 FU on 5 July 1944.

Transatlantic Reception and Despatch Party

This was formed on 15 October 1941 at Prestwick and was redesignated Air Despatch and Reception Unit on 16 February 1944.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]