Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Co-operation and Target Facilities Units


This section covers a range of units tasked with co-operating with artillery units and for providing target facilities to other units.

Air Defence Co-operation Unit

This was formed from No 1 Target Towing Flight on 18 June 1942 at Ismailia, to provide AAC and TT facilities in Egypt, the Western Desert and Levant.  It moved to El Firdan on 27 August and was redesignated No 26 AACU on in November 1942.

No 1 Anti-Aircraft Calibration Flight

This was formed on 27 December 1940 under the control of No 60 Group at Gatwick, moving to Hatfield (No 74 Wing) on 25 January 1941 and was redesignated No 116 Squadron on 17 February 1941.

Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed from Night Flying Flight on 22 October 1931 under the control of Fighting Area at Biggin Hill, each spring and summer (March-September) being detached to Weston Zoyland to undertake practice camps.  It was transferred to No 11 Group on 1 May 1936 and was redesignated Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit on 14 April 1936.

No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed as the Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight on 15 July 1941 at Drigh Road, being redesignated No 1 AAC Flight on 21 February 1942 and was redesignated No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF) on 13 July 1942.

No 2 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed on 21 January 1942 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Juhu, moving to Deolali on 31 March and was redesignated No 2 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF) in July 1942.

No 3 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed on 20 March 1942 at Dum Dum and was redesignated No 3 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF) on 8 August 1942.

Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight on 14 April 1936 under the control of No 11 Group at Biggin Hill with 'A' Flight being detached to Weston Zoyland from May to September and  'B' Flight to Bircham Newton from June to September but it was redesignated No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit on 10 February 1937.

No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit on 10 February 1937 under the control of No 11 Group at Biggin Hill, from where it operated a number of detached flights around the UK (see below).  The HQ moved to Worthy Down on 24 May, then back to Biggin Hill in September 1937 before settling at Farnborough on 11 April 1938, being transferred to No 22 Group at the same time.  It was transferred to No 70 Group in Army Co-operation Command on 1 December 1940 and disbanded on 1 October 1942.

No 2 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from No 1 Gunnery Co-operation Flight and 'A' Flight of the School of Naval Co-operation on 15 February 1937 under the control of No 17 Group at Lee-on-Solent.  Initially comprising four flights, 'A' and 'B' Flights remained at Gosport but the latter disbanded on 1 October 1940, the locations of the other two flights are shown in the table below.  The three flights becoming No 1622 Flight (ex 'A' Flight), 1623 Flight (ex 'C' Flight) and 1624 Flight ('D' Flight) on 14 February 1943.

Date

Flight/Location

16 Feb 1939

C -Mount Batten

27 Apr 1940

C - St Eval

16 Aug 1940

C - Cleave

14 Jun 1943

C - Roborough

16 Feb 1939

D - Eastchurch

4 Sep 1939

D - Gosport

17 Apr 1940

D - Donibristle

xx Mar 1941

D - Detling

No 3 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from No 2 Gunnery Co-operation Flight on 1 March 1937 under the control of  at Kalafrana, with 'A' Flight using swordfish from Hal Far and 'B' Flight operating Queen Bees from Kalafrana, each flight operating detachments as shown in the table below.  It disbanded on 19 September 1940.

Date

Flight/Location

30 Apr - 4 Sep 1937

A - Gibraltar

2 Sep - 16 Oct 1937

A - Aboukir

2 Mar - xxx 1938

A - Gibraltar

8 Aug - xxx 1938

A - Gibraltar

15 Mar - xxx 1939

A - Gibraltar

5 - 13 May 1939

A - Gibraltar

Aug 1939 - Jul 1940

A - Gibraltar

23 Aug - 19 Oct 1937

B - Alexandria

xxx - 28 Jun 1938

B - Alexandria

3 Oct - 12 Dec 1938

B - Alexandria

5 May - xxx 1939

B - Alexandria

No 4 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from  on 1 August 1938 under the control of Far East Command at Seletar, moving to Kallang on 24 April 1940, then to Tengah on 15 February 1941.  It undertook offensive operations against the Japanese in Malaya until it had no aircraft remaining and officially disbanded at Mingaladon on 28 April 1942.

No 5 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was planned to form 1 March 1940 under the control of No 110 Wing at Perth, but formation never took place.

This was planned to form again 3 June 1940 at Perth, but formation was postponed on 27 June 1940.

No 6 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from  on 1 March 1940 under the control of No 110 Wing at Ringway, from where it operated detachments throughout the UK (see table below).  It moved to Cark on 15 March 1942 then to Castle Bromwich on 8 March 1943, where it was absorbed into No 577 Squadron on 1 December 1943.

Date

Location

23 Jan - 24 May 1941

Aberporth

5 Dec 1940 - 10 Jan 1941

Baginton

Mar 1941 - 28 Feb 1942

Bororgan

10 Jan - 6 Feb 1941

Bramcote

23 Nov 1940 - 30 Nov 1942

Church Fenton

12 Jul 1941 - 21 Feb 1942

Finningley

2 Nov 1940 - 9 May 1942

Kingstown (Carlisle)

2 Jan 1941 - Aug 1942

Kirton-in-Lindsey

28 May - Aug 1941

Newtownards

13 Dec 1941 - 20 Aug 1943

Newtownards

9 May 1941 - 24 Feb 1942

North Coates

2 May - 20 Nov 1940

Perth (Scone)

28 May - 13 Dec 1941

Prestwick

10 Mar 1941 - 30 Nov 1943

Sealand

6 Feb - 24 May 1941

Shawbury

Feb - 26 Jun 1942

Shawbury

13 Feb 1942 - 30 May 1943

Sydenham

2 Apr - xxx 1941

Ternhill

Aug 1941 - 22 Jul 1942

Yeadon

1 Jan - 21 Feb 1943

Croft

21 Feb - 13 Jul 1943

Driffield

28 Dec 1942 - 2 Jan 1943

Middleton St George

26 Jun - 2 Aug 1942

Rednal

15 Mar - 28 Dec 1942

Ringway

23 Feb - Sep 1942

Sealand

7 Mar - 13 Sep 1942

Towyn

7 Dec 1942 - 30 Nov 1943

Wrexham

18 Sep - Nov 1943

Detling

13 Jul - 27 Oct 1943

Hutton Cranswick

19 Aug - 18 Sep 1943

Rochford

No 7 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from  on 26 March 1940 under the control of No 110 Wing at Ringway, moving to Castle Bromwich on 10 April, from where it operated detachments throughout the UK (see table below).  It was transferred to No 54 Group on 26 June 1940 and was absorbed into No 577 Squadron on 1 December 1943.

Date

Location

24 May 1941 - Jan 1942

Aberporth

1 Jul 1940 - Jun 1942

Abingdon

Mar - 27 May 1943

Bircham Newton

from 25 May 1941

Catterick

to 11 Nov 1940

Church Fenton

19 Feb 1940 - 23 Mar 1941

Drem

14 Jun 1942 - 30 Nov 1943

Farnborough

21 Feb - 13 Mar 1942

Finningley

2 Oct - 30 Nov 1943

Ipswich

2 Dec 1940 - 1 Jan 1941

Kirton in Lindsey

Sep - Sep 1940

Linton-on-Ouse

5 Dec 1942 - 30 Nov 1943

Montford Bridge

21 Apr - 28 May 1941

Newtownards

24 Feb 1942 - 30 Nov 1943

North Coates

Aug 1940 - 14 Jun 1942

Odiham

from 14 May 1941

Ouston

12 Sep - 27 Nov 1940

Pembridge

28 Dec 1940 - xxx 1941

Perth (Scone)

1 Jan - 27 May 1941

Prestwick

6 Nov - 5 Dec 1942

Rednal

May 1941 - Jan 1942

Shawbury

12 Sep 1940 - 28 May 1941

Shobdon

by 9 Feb 1942

Shrivenham (Watchfield?)

Jul - 21 Sep 1940

Staverton

22 Mar - 21 Apr 1941

Turnhouse

from 4 Oct 1940

Usworth

13 Mar - May 1942

Waltham (Grimsby)

No 8 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from  on 15 April 1940 under the control of No 110 Wing at Ringway, moving to Filton on 29 April, from where it operated detachments throughout the UK (see table below).  Its HQ moved to Weston Zoyland on 5 August, to Old Sarum on 6 October, and finally to Cardiff/Pengam Moors on 9 November 1940, where it was absorbed into No 577 Squadron on 1 December 1943.

Date

Location

1 Jul - 8 Oct 1940

St Eval

25 May - 17 Jun 1940

Warmwell

5 Jul - 5 Aug 1940

Weston Zoyland

20 May - 30 Nov 1943

Bodorgan

Jan - May 1943

Carew Cheriton

Jun - Jun 1941

Castle Bromwich

11 Dec 1940 - Jan 1941

Gatwick

5 Jan - 28 May 1941

Gosport

12 Feb - 23 May 1941?

Ipswich

1 Jul 1941 - Jan 1943

Madley

23 Dec 1940 - 1 May 1941

Northolt

Nov 1940 - 4 Jun 1941

Odiham

10 Nov 1940 - 30 Sep 1942

Old Sarum

Oct 1942 - 24 Mar 1943

Old Sarum

29 Dec 1940- 30 Sep 1942

St Eval

28 May - 1 Jul 1941

Shobdon

31 Jan - 30 Nov 1943

Shobdon

4 - 25 Jan 1941

Thorney Island

13 Sep 1942 - 12 Oct 1943

Towyn

10 Nov 1940 - 5 Mar 1942

Weston Zoyland

5 Jan 1943 -Nov 1943

Weston Zoyland

No 9 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was planned to form on 15 April 1940 under the control of No 110 Wing at Ringway to move to Woodley but the plans were postponed on 27 June 1940.

No 21 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed in December 1942 at Takoradi, moving to Ikeja on 24 September 1943.  By January 1944 it was at Oshogbo, moving to Accra on 1 May, where it and disbanded later in 1944.

It reformed in February 1945 at Robertsfield, Liberia and disbanded in Accra on 10 May 1945.

No 22 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from Nos 1 and 2 AACUs (IAF) on 3 December 1942 under the control of No 223 Group at Drigh Road, from where it operated detachments throughout India (see table below).  It became a Indian Air Force Unit on 17 March 1943, moving to Ambala on 15 June 1945, to Santa Cruz under No 2 (Indian) Group on 18 February 1946, where it disbanded on 1 April 1947.

Date

Flight/Location

10 Oct 1943 - Jan 1946

A - Poona

13 Dec 1942 - May 1943

B - Dum Dum

by Mar 1944

B - Alipore (No 171 Wing)

16 Sep 1944 - 18 Feb 1946

B - Digri (No 185 Wing)

18 Feb 1946 - 1 Apr 1947

B - Poona

3 Dec 1942 - 27 Jul 1943

C - Juhu (No 227 Group)

27 Jul 1943 - 18 Feb 1946

C - St Thomas Mount (No 72 Wing) with detachment at Vizagapatam by Nov 1945

18 Feb 1946 - 15 Oct 1946

C - Sular

15 October 1946

C - disbanded

3 Dec 1942 - Mar 1943

D - Meghaon

by Aug 1944 - 15 May 1946

D - Katni (No 227 Group)

15 May - 15 Oct 1946

D - Drigh Road

15 January 1946

D - disbanded

by 14 Nov 1945 - 1 Apr 1947

A - Drigh Road (detachment at St Thomas Mount)

No 23 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1943 at Habbaniya, moving to Italy via Egypt on 29 May 1944, joining MACAF.  On 10 June it arrived at Foggia under No 202 Group, then onto Pomigliano on 4 August and to Falconara on 2 September.  It transferred to No 335 Wing on 21 September, making its final move to Ciampino, where it disbanded on 15 March 1946.

No 24 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was planned to form after 9 December 1942 at Aden but formation did not proceed.

No 25 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a cadre 17 January 1943 in the UK for service in East Africa, sailing on 12 March  but on arrival the personnel were retaining at AHQ East Africa and formation never took place.

It reformed on 1 August 1943 at Eastleigh, Kenya and disbanded on 5 November 1945.

No 26 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from the Air Defence Co-operation Unit on in November 1942 at El Firdan, from where it operated detachments throughout the Middle East (see table below).  Its HQ moved to Deversoir on 6 March 1945, to Ramat David on 1 January 1946  and finally to Aqir on 30 September 1946, where it disbanded on 31 March 1947.

Date

Location

Nov 1942 - 4 Jun 1943

Haifa

22 Jul - 23 Dec 1943

Haifa

2 Jan 1943 - Feb 1945

Mariut

4 Jun 1943 - 20 Feb 1944

Tripoli

7 Jun - 23 Sep 1943

Mellaha

from 22 Jul 1943

Hosc Raul

23 Sep 1943 - 25 Feb 1944

Berka Main

28 Dec 1943 - 4 Jun 1944

Ramat David

from 15 Jan 1945

Ramat David

4 Jun 1944 - 15 Jan 1945

St Jean

Jan 1944 - Jan 1945

Beirut

27 Feb - 31 Mar 1947

Kasfareet

No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF)

This was formed from No 1 AAC Flight (IAF) on 13 July 1942 at Drigh Road, moving to Risalpur on 17/18  October before returning to Drigh Road in late 1942, where it became 'A' Flight, No 22 AACU on 3 December 1942.

No 2 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF)

This was formed from No 2 AAC Flight (IAF) on in July 1942 at Deolali with a detachment at Juhu and became 'C' Flight, No 22 AACU on 3 December 1942.

No 3 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (IAF)

This was formed from No 3 AAC Flight (IAF) on 8 August 1942 at  and became 'B' Flight, No 22 AACU on 17 March 1943.

'A' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 10 February 1937 at Biggin Hill and was redesignated No 1600 Flight on 1 November 1942.  See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

20 May 1937

Weston Zoyland

16 Sep 1937

Biggin Hill

16 May 1938

Weston Zoyland

xx Sep 1938

Farnborough

13 Mar 1939

Weston Zoyland

27 Aug 1939

2 aircraft each to Wattisham, Watton & West Raynham

3 Sep 1939

above aircraft rerturned to Weston Zoyland (No 8 LAAPC)

26 Sep 1942

Martlesham Heath

xx Oct 1942

Weston Zoyland

'B' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 10 February 1937 at Bircham Newton and was redesignated No 1607 Flight on 1 November 1942.  See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

10 May 1937

Flimston Down, Pembroke

7 Sep 1937

Bircham Newton

21 Sep 1937

Aircraft to storage at Hendon for winter

11 Apr 1938

Farnborough

17 May 1938

Flimston Down, Pembroke

28 Sep 1938

Farnborough (closed for winter)

31 Mar 1939

Farnborough (re-opened)

14 Apr 1939

Carew Cheriton

1 Sep 1939

Scampton (for No 5 Group)

5 Sep 1939

Carew Cheriton (No 3 HAAPC, Manorbier)

2 Oct 1941

Aberporth

9 Mar 1942

Carew Cheriton

'C' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 15 March 1937 at Biggin Hill and was redesignated No 1605 Flight on 1 November 1942.  See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

10 May 1937

Flimston Down, Pembroke

21 Sep 1937

Aircraft to storage at Biggin Hill for winter

1 Apr 1938

Farnborough (re-opened)

15 May 1938

Bircham Newton (No 2 AAPC)

26 Sep 1938

Farnborough (closed for winter)

31 Mar 1939

Farnborough (re-opened)

14 Apr 1939

Bircham Newton (for Nos 2 & 3 Groups)

6 Sep 1939

Weston Zoyland

4 Dec 1939

Penrhos (No 7 HAAPC Tonfanau)

26 Aug 1941

Towyn

'D' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from the Queen Bee Flight, Henlow on 16 September 1937 at Biggin Hill and was redesignated 'Z' Flight, No 1 AACU on 1 November 1942.

It reformed as a towed target flight on 28 April 1938 at Farnborough and was redesignated No 1602 Flight on 1 November 1942.    See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

28 Apr 1938

Bircham Newton

26 Sep 1938

Closed

10 Apr 1939

Farnborough (re-opened)

28 Apr 1939

Bircham Newton (for Nos 2 & 3 Groups)

6 Sep 1939

Cleave (No 10 LAAPC St Agnes Head)

'E' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 11 April 1938 at Farnborough and disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 1 October 1942.  See table below for movement details: -

Date

Location

17 May 1938

West Freugh

15 Sep 1938

Farnborough

27 Oct 1938

Biggin Hill

6 Jan 1939

Farnborough

20 May 1939

West Freugh (No 2 HAAPC Burrow Head)

'F' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 28 August 1939 under the control of  at Farnborough.  It initially moved to Squires Gate to work with No 9 LAAPC at Flookburgh, relocating to Cark on 7 January 1942 and was redesignated No 1614 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'G' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 1 May 1939 under the control of  at Usworth, moving to Cleave on 15 May to work with No 12 LAAPC at Penhale and was redesignated No 1603 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'H' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 1 April 1939 at Biggin Hill, moving to Gosport on 25 September (attached to No 2 AACU then returning to No 1 AACU with a move to Christchurch, where it was absorbed into the Special Duties Flight on 1 July 1941.

It reformed as a towed target flight on 1 January 1942 under the control of  at Farnborough, moving to Martlesham Heath on 8 January 1942 to work with No 16 HAAPC, Clacton and was redesignated No 1616 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'J' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 1 December 1939 at Farnborough, moving to Penrhos on 16 February 1940 to work with No 4 HAAPC at Ty-Croes.  On 14 September 1940 it moved to Bodorgan, where it was redesignated No 1606 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'K' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight in December 1939 at Farnborough, moving to Weston Zoyland the same month but returning to Farnborough in 1940.  On 28 August 1949 it moved to Cleave, then to Bircham Newton on 6 September to work with No 5 HAAPC at Weybourne and No 11 LAAPC at Stiffkey, moving to Langham on 6 Decmber 1941, where it was redesignated No 1611 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'L' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 26 March 1940 at Farnborough, moving to Carew Cheriton on 5 April, to work on the AA range at Aberporth.  On 29 October it moved to Aberporth, continuing to work with No 1 HAAPC there and was redesignated No 1608 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'M' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 27 September 1940 at Bircham Newton to work with No 5 HAAPC at Weybourne and No 11 LAAPC at Stiffkey, moving to Langham around 7 October 1940, where it was redesignated No 1612 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'N' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 13 January 1942 at Thornaby to work with No 15 LAAPC at Whitby, moving to West Hartlepool on 4 May 1942 and was redesignated No 1613 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'O' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 5 November 1940 at Cleave to work with No 12 LAAPC at Penhale, moving to Aberporth in June 1941, returning to Cleave on 23 July, where it was redesignated No 1604 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'P' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

Originally planned to form on 30 June 1941 at Cleave, it actually formed as a towed target flight on 25 August 1941 at Weston Zoyland to work with the AAPC at Watchet and was redesignated No 1601 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'Q' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 30 June 1941 at Aberporth to work with No 13 LAAPC at Aberayron and was redesignated No 1609 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'R' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a towed target flight on 30 June 1941 at Farnborough to work with No 14 LAAPC at Nethertown, moving to Squires Gate in September, to Millom on 13 September and then to Cark on 7 January 1942, where it disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 1 October 1942.

'S' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

Originally planned to form at Kirkistown, it actually formed as a towed target flight on 26 January 1942 at Newtownards, to work with No 17 HAAPC at St John's Point was redesignated No 1617 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'T' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on 21 January 1941 at Farnborough, moving to Weybourne on 25 February 1941 to work with No 5 HAAPC but was disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 29 April 1942.

'U' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on 15 August 1940 at St Athan, moving to Towyn on 15 September 1940 to work with No 7 HAAPC at Tonfanau and disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 30 October 1942.

'V' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on 14 May 1939 at Cleave, to work with No 6 HAAPC at Cleave and was redesignated No 1618 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'W' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on in May 1939 at Henlow, moving to Kidsdale on 8 May 1939 to work with No 2 HAAPC at Burrow Head and disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 18 April 1942.

'X' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on 15 May 1939 at Henlow, moving to Weybourne the following day then to Watchet on 14 September.  On 3 September 1940 it moved to Aberporth to work with No 1 HAAPC at Aberporth, where it was redesignated No 1621 Flight on 1 November 1942.

'Y' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed as a pilotless aircraft flight on 11 April 1938 at Henlow, moving to Manorbier from 29 June to 4 October 1938, when it returned to Henlow.  It again moved to Manorbier on15 May 1939 to work with No 3 HAAPC, remaining there until it disbanded due to a shortage of aircraft on 16 August 1942.

'Z' Flight, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from 'D' Flight, No 1 AACU as a pilotless aircraft flight on 11 April 1938 at Farnborough, moving to Watchet on 14 May for the summer camp.  On 3 October it moved to Henlow for the winter, returning to Watchet on 13 May 1939, before moving to Aberffraw (renamed Bordogan from 15 May 1941).  Here it worked with No 4 HAAPC at Ty-Croes and was redesignated No 1620 Flight on 1 November 1942.

Anti-Aircraft Special Defence Flight

This was formed in October 1918 under the control of No 49 Wing at Gosport and disbanded in December 1918.

Bloodhound (Mk 2) Firing Unit

This was formed from the Guided Weapons Range Unit on 2 November 1964 under the control of  at Aberporth, coming under the control of the Bloodhound Support Unit on 6 October 1971 and disbanded into No 85 Squadron on 18 December 1975.

Bloodhound Support Unit

This was formed on 6 October 1971 under the control of RAF Germany at West Raynham, taking control of the Bloodhound (Mk 2) Firing Unit.  It was transferred to No 11 Group and disbanded into No 85 Squadron on 18 December 1975.

No 1 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed to take over the duties of No 34 Squadron on 7 December 1950 under the control of No 65 Group at Hornchurch.  It was initially operated by Short Brothers and Harland but the contract was  transferred to Airwork on 1 July 1954, control having been transferred to No 61 Group on 1 February 1951 and disbanded on 31 December 1956.

No 2 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed to take over the duties of No 34 Squadron on 20 July 1951 at Little Snoring.  Operated by Marshalls of Cambridge, it moved to Langham under No 61 Group on 23 March 1953 and disbanded on 1 November 1958.

No 3 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed to take over the duties of No 17 Squadron on 18 March 1951 under the control of No 25 Group at Exeter and amalgamated with No 4 AACU to form No 3/4 AACU on 1 July 1954.

No 4 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed to take over the duties of No 5 Squadron on 1 August 1951 under the control of  at Llandow and amalgamated with No 3 AACU to form No 3/4 AACU on 1 July 1954.

No 3/4 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed from Nos 3 and 4 AACUs on 1 July 1954 under the control of No 61 Group at Llandow.  It was transferred to No 11 Group 28 November 1958, to No 25 Group on 1 June 1961, No 22 Group on 1 July 1968, then finally to HQ Training Command on 1 November 1971 but disbanded on 31 December 1971, with its task being taken over by No 7 Squadron.

No 5 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit

This was formed to take over the duties of No 20 Squadron on 16 September 1951 under the control of No 63 Group at Llanbedr, moving to Woodvale under No 25 Group on 1 January 1958.  On 28 November 1958 it was transferred to No 12 Group, later going to No 11 Group but was transferred to No 23 Groupon 1 January 1961.  No 25 Group assumed control on 1 September 1963, then No 22 Group on 1 July 1968 and it disbanded on 30 September 1971.

Civilian Fighter Control Co-operation Unit

This was formed in or by 1952 at Woodvale and disbanded on 1 March 1957.

No 1 Civilian Fighter Control Co-operation Unit

This was formed on 8 March 1957 under the control of No 64 Group at Scone, providing aircraft to undertake interception practices for Fighter Control Units.  It was transferred to No 13 Group on 28 November 1958 and disbanded in No 11 Group on 31 January 1961.

No 2 Civilian Fighter Control Co-operation Unit

This was formed on 8 March 1957 under the control of No 64 Group at Usworth, providing aircraft to undertake interception practices for Fighter Control Units.  It moved to Ouston on 15 October 1957, being transferred to No 13 Group on 28 November 1958 and disbanded in No 11 Group on 31 January 1961.

No 3 Civilian Fighter Control Co-operation Unit

This was formed on 8 March 1957 under the control of No 64 Group at Sydenham, providing aircraft to undertake interception practices for Fighter Control Units and disbanded on 21 June 1958.

Coastal Battery Co-operation Flight

This was formed from the Coastal Battery Co-operation School on 23 December 1919 at Gosport and disbanded on 6 March 1920.

No 1 Coast Artillery Co-operation Flight/Unit

This was formed from No 1 Flight, Coast Defence Development Unit on 14 December 1936 as No 1 Coast Artillery Co-operation Flight at Gosport.  It was placed under No 17 Group on 1 January 1937, being redesignated No 1 Coast Artillery Co-operation Unit on 1 June.  On 15 September 1939 it moved to Thorney Island, with a detachment at Detling, with the rest of the unit joining the deatchment at Detling on 18 May 1940, where it reverted to the title No 1 CAC Flight.  It reverted to the title No 1 CACU on 12 January 1942 and disbanded on 11 October 1943.

Officers Commanding: -

xx xxx 1940:                Flt Lt R H McConnell

Coast Defence Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 1 December 1924 at Eastchurch, initially attched to the Armament and Gunnery School but became an independent unit on 16 February 1927, being transferred from No 23 to No 22 Group at the same time.  Between 10 May and 1 October 1928 it was located at Shoeburyness and operated detachments at Crown Hill, Plymouth (11 Jul - 2 Aug 1929, 20 Jun - 31 Jul 1930 and 5 Jun 1931 - Jul 1932) and Gosport (11 - 15 Oct 1932).  It moved to Gosport being  redesignated Coast Defence Training Unit on 25 May 1933.

No 1 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed to take over the duties of 'Y' Flight on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at St Thomas Mount and was redesignated No 101 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 2 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed to take over the duties of 'V' Flight on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Juhu, Bombay and was redesignated No 102 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 3 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed to take over the duties of 'Z' Flight on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Dum Dum, moving to Bassein, Burma on 28 January 1942, to Mingaladon on 17 February, then to Magwe before returning to Dum Dum on 24 February, where it was redesignated No 103 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 4 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed to partially take over the duties of 'W' Flight on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Drigh Road, moving to Moulmein on 22 December 1941 under No 221 Group.  It moved to Bassein in Burma on 25 January but was back at Drigh Road three days later finally moving to Vizagapatam where it was redesignated No 104 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 5 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed to partially take over the duties of 'W' Flight on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Drigh Road, moving to Cochin on 8 October 1941 and was redesignated No 105 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 6 Coast Defence Flight (IAFVR)

This was formed on 15 December 1940 under the control of Coast Defence Wing at Drigh Road, moving to Vizagapatam in March 1942 and was redesignated No 106 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942.

No 101 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 1 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at St Thomas Mount, coming under the control of No 225 Group on 10 June 1942 and was redesignated No 101 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron IAF on 1 December 1942.

No 102 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 2 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at Juhu, coming under the control of No 225 Group on 10 June 1942 and was redesignated No 102 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron IAF on 1 December 1942.

No 103 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 3 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at Dum Dum, moving to Cuttack on 4 August 1942 and disbanded into No 353 Squadron on 1 June 1942.

No 104 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 4 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at Vizagapatam, later moving to Allahabad, then to Cuttack on 4 August 1942 but was back at Vizagapatam by 31 August, where it was redesignated No 104 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron IAF on 1 December 1942.

No 105 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 5 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at Cochin, coming under the control of No 225 Group on 10 June 1942 and was redesignated No 105 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron IAF on 1 December 1942.

No 106 (Coast Defence) Flight (IAF)

This was formed from No 6 Coast Defence Flight on 1 April 1942 at Vizagapatam but at Drigh Road by 31 August, where it and was redesignated No 106 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron IAF on 1 December 1942.

Composite Co-operation Flight

This was formed on/by September 1921 at Gosport but its fate is unknown.

Fleet Requirements Unit

This was formed on 11 August 1938 in HMS Argus with Lee-on-Solent as its shore base for co-operation duties with the Fleet and wsa transferred to the Royal Navy on 24 May 1939.

No 9 Group Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 9 Group at Speke, moving to Wrexham on 9 August and was redesignated No 285 Squadron on 1 December 1941.

No 10 Group Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 10 Group at Filton and was redesignated No 286 Squadron on 17 November 1941.

No 11 Group Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 11 Group at Croydon and was redesignated No 287 Squadron on 19 November 1941.

No 12 Group Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 12 Group at Digby and was redesignated No 288 Squadron on 18 November 1941.

No 13 Group Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 5 May 1941 under the control of No 13 Group at Turnhouse, moving to Dalcross in August and to Kirknewton in October, where it was redesignated No 289 Squadron on 20 November 1941.

No 1 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 18 September 1941 under the control of No 1 Group at Goxhill, moving to Binbrook on 10 November and was redesignated No 1481 Flight on 14 November 1941.

No 2 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed from a detachment of No 101 Squadron on 22 February 1940 under the control of No 2 Group at West Raynham and  on in March 1941.

No 2 Group Target Towing Flight

It reformed on 30 September 1941 under the control of No 2 Group at West Raynham and was redesignated No 1482 Flight on in November 1941.

No 3 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 14 February 1940 under the control of No 3 Group at Marham and was redesignated No 1483 Flight on 18 November 1941.

No 4 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed from a detchment in February 1940 under the control of No 4 Group at Driffield, operating from Cottam at various times.  From 29 December 1940 to 2 April 1941 it was amalgamated with No 5 Group TT Flight and was redesignated No 1484 Flight on 14 November 1941.

No 5 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed from  about 19 January 1940 under the control of No 5 Group at Driffield.  From 29 December 1940 to 2 April 1941 it was amalgamated with No 4 Group TT Flight, but moved to Coningsby on regaining its independent status and was redesignated No 1485 Flight on 14 November 1941.

No 6 Group Target Towing Flight

Target towing facilities for No 6 Group seem to have been provided by the Station Flight at Andover and later Bicester, which ended in February 1941 when the OTUs took over the role.

No 9 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 16 July 1941 under the control of No 9 Group at Valley and was redesignated No 1486 Flight on 8 December 1941.

No 10 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 16 July 1941 under the control of No 10 Group at Warmwell, moving to Filton in October before returning to Warmwell in November and was redesignated No 1487 Flight on 8 December 1941.

No 11 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 16 July 1941 under the control of No 11 Group at Shoreham and was redesignated No 1488 Flight on 1 December 1941.

No 12 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 16 July 1941 under the control of No 12 Group at Coltishall, moving to Sutton Bridge around October and was redesignated No 1489 Flight on 8 December 1941.

No 13 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 16 July 1941 under the control of No 13 Group at Acklington and was redesignated No 1490 Flight on 8 December 1941.

No 14 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on in October 1941 under the control of No 14 Group at Inverness/Longman and was redesignated No 1491 Flight on 8 December 1941.

No 82 Group Target Towing Flight

This was formed on 2 November 1941 under the control of No 82 Group at Ballyhalbert and was redesignated No 1480 Flight on 1 December 1941.

No 1 Gunnery Co-operation Flight

This was formed on 1 April 1934 under the control of No 22 Group at Farnborough, moving to Kalafrana, Malta on 6 May but was back at Farnborough on 23 June.  On 13 June 1935 it moved to Lee-on-Solent, two days later joining HMS Achilles, returning to Lee-on-Solent via Farnborough on 23 September.  It went to the Mediterranean on SS Orontes on 4 January 1936, arriving at Port Said on 15 January, returning to Lee-on-Solent on 27 April.  From 20 September to  12 October it was at Novar (Leuchars), being transferred to No 17 Group on 1 January 1937 disbanded into No 2 AACU on 15 February 1937.

No 2 Gunnery Co-operation Flight

This was formed from No 1 GCF on in April 1936 under the control of  at Alexandria, moving to Kalafrana on 7 April and was redesignated No 3 AACU on 1 March 1937.

Middle East Air Force Group Target Towing Unit/Flight

This was formed from target towing elements at Nicosia and Shallufa on 1 January 1950 under the control of No 205 Group at Shallufa as MEAF Target Towing Unit.  It moved to Nicosia on 15 January 1952, where it was redesignated MEAF Target Towing Flight and disbanded in April 1956.

Pilotless Aircraft Section/Unit

This was formed on 31 January 1937 at Henlow as the Pilotless Aircraft Section.  From 15 - 29 February 1940 it was at Hawkinge being transferred to No 22 Group on 1 March, then to St Athan on 22 June under No 70 Group.  By December it had been retitled Pilotless Aircraft Unit, moving to Manorbier on 5 May 1942 and disbanded on 15 March 1946.

Queen Bee Flight

This was formed from  on 10 May 1937 at Henlow, moving to Watchet on 27 July, then to Biggin Hill where it and was redesignated 'D' Flight, No 1 AACU on 16 September 1937.

Radio Direction Finding Calibration Flight

This was formed in June 1943 under the control of NWACAF at Sebala II, moving to Blida on 7 August and was redesignated No 1578 Flight on 25 September 1943.

Roc Flight

This was formed on 23 August 1940 attached to No 110 Squadron RCAF at Odiham to undertake demonstrations of dive bombing to Army units throughout the UK and disbanded on 2 December 1940.

Spotter Unit

This was formed as an element of No 4 AACU on 1 October 1939 at Seletar and was probably absorbed into No 4 AACU around 1 November 1939.

Target Facilities Flight, Akrotiri

This was formed on in 1968/1969 at Akrotiri and disbanded on in January 1975, with its aircraft being transferred to No 100 Squadron at West Raynham.

Target Facilities Flight, Binbrook

This was formed on 1 February 1966 at Binbrook and disbanded on 31 December 1973.

Target Facilities Flight, Leuchars

This was formed on 1 April 1966 at Leuchars and disbanded on 31 December 1973.

Target Facilities Flight, Wattisham

This was formed on 1 April 1966 at Wattisham and disbanded on 31 December 1973.

No 1 Target Operating Squadron

This was formed on 1 May 1956 under the control of No 13 Group at Rufforth to undertake guided weapons trials.  It moved to RAAF Edinburgh Field on 12 September 1956 under No 64 Group and disbanded on 31 January 1958.

Target Towing Flight, Trincomalee

This was formed on by February 1938 at Trincomalee until at least August 1939 but its fate is unknown.

Target Towing Section, Shallufa

This was formed on 1 August 1953 at Shallufa and disbanded on 31 October 1954.

Target Towing Unit, Abyab

This was formed on 1 September 1954 at Abyab but its aircraft were transferred to No 109 MU on 1 October 1954.

No 1 Towed Target Flight

This was formed on in 1939 at Ismailia and was redesignated Air Defence Co-operation Unit on 18 June 1942.

No 1 Towed Target Flight, India

This was formed from 'A' Flight, No 22 AACU on 1 April 1947 at Drigh Road and was transferred to the RIAF.

No 2 Towed Target Flight, India

This was formed from 'B' Flight, No 22 AACU on 1 April 1947 at Poona and was reduced to 'number-plate' basis on 15 April 1947  before becoming operational.

Towed Target Flight, Bentwaters

This was formed in January 1945 at Bentwaters and disbanded in October 1945.

Towed Target Flight, Changi

This was formed from the Seletar Station Flight and TT Flight on moving to Changi on 1 July 1951 and was redesignated No 1574 Flight on 1 May 1964.

Towed Target Flight, Gibraltar

This was formed in May 1953 at North Front, Gibraltar and disbanded on in November 1958.

Towed Target Flight, Helwan

This was formed by August 1940 at Helwan but its fate is unknown.

Towed Target Flight, Ismailia

This was formed by 1935 at Ismailia and disbanded on 20 September 1935.

Towed Target Flight, Khartoum

This was formed 20 September 1935 at Khartoum but its fate is unknown.

Towed Target Flight, St Eval

This was formed in September 1953 at St Eval and disbanded in September 1955.

Towed Target Flight, Schleswigland

This was formed in March 1953 at Schleswigland and disbanded on 1 May 1958.

Towed Target Flight, Seletar

This was formed on 15 April 1951 at Seletar to work with No 27 APC at Butterworth and merged into the FEAF Training Squadron on 1 June 1951.

Towed Target Flight, Sutton Bridge

This was formed from the Station Flight by 1 January 1940 at Sutton Bridge and disbanded back into the Station Flight on 2 April 1940.

Towed Target Flight, Tangmere

This was formed on 8 June 1950 at Tangmere and disbanded in January 1951.

Towed Target Flight, Trincomalee

This was formed at Trincomalee but no other details have been found.

This page was last updated on 18/03/18 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]