Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Ground Defence Training Units etc


This section will give brief histories of those ground training units providing training to personnel involved in aspects of ground defence: -

Air Defence Missile Operations Training School

This was formed on 1 January 1960 at Watton under the control of No 12 Group and was redesignated the Surface-to-Air Operational Training School on 1 January 1961.

No 1 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Locking

This was probably opened around 20 January 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Weston Zoyland under the control of No 72 Group and closed on 1 August 1944.

No 2 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Langham

This was probably opened around 15 February 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Langham under the control of No 72 Group and closed on 31 March 1945.

No 3 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Felixstowe

This was probably opened around in March 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Ipswich, coming under the control of No 72 Group on 5 May but a disbandment date has not been found.

No 4 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Towyn

This was probably opened around 1 April 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Towyn under the control of No 72 Group and closed on 19 September 1945.

No 5 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Filey

This was probably opened around March 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Hutton Cranswick but a disbandment date has not been found on 17 June 1943.

No 6 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Acklington

This was probably opened around 1 June 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Acklington under the control of No 72 Group and closed on 20 November 1944.

No 7 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Shoreham

This was probably opened around 21 April 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Shoreham under the control of No 72 Group, moving to Hunmanby Moor on 26 April 1944, where it but closed on 1 August 1944.

No 8 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Montrose

This was probably opened around 4 May 1943, with its target towing flight being based at Montrose under the control of No 72 Group and closed on 1 August 1944.

No 9 Anti-Aircraft Practice Camp, Leysdown

A formation or closure date for this Camp has not yet been found.

RAF Artillery School

This was formed at Eastchurch in No 20 Group before June 1942 (possibly in February when the RAF Regiment was formed) and probably disbanded into the RAF Regiment Depot after July 1942

No 2 (Ground) Armament School

This was formed at Manby in No 20 Group before July 1941 and seems to have disbanded before June 1942.  It was possibly absorbed into the RAF Regiment Depot.

No 3 (Ground) Armament School

This was formed at Stormy Down in No 24 Group before July 1941 and seems to have disbanded before June 1942.  It was possibly absorbed into the RAF Regiment Depot.

No 1 Ground Defence Gunners School

This was formed on 20 November 1939 at North Coates, moving to Ronaldsway on 1 July 1940 and was redesignated No 3 RAF Regiment School on 15 February 1942.

Ground Observers School

This was formed at St Athan in No 20 Group between June 1942 and January 1943 and possibly disbanded in late 1944.

Joint Rapier Training Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1999 at Honington and disbanded on 31 March 2006.

Light Anti-Aircraft Gunnery School

This was formed from RAF Regiment School, Hunmanby Moor on 15 August 1945 at Nethertown, Cumberland, moving to Watchet on 15 July 1947 and disbanded on 10 February 1950.

Parachute Exercise Squadron

This was formed on 15 December 1941 at Ringway in No 70 Group, moving to Netheravon on 22 December 1941 and was redesignated No 297 Squadron on 22 January 1942.

Parachute Jumping Training Unit

This was formed on 5 January 1949 at Hildesheim in No 2 Group and closed on 22 October 1949.

No 1 Parachute School

This was formed from No 1 Parachute and Glider Training School on 10 June 1950 at Abingdon and was redesignated No 1 Parachute Training School on 1 November 1953.

Parachute Training Centre

This was formed on 21 June 1940 at Ringway in No 22 Group and was redesignated the Central Landing School on 31 August 1940.

No 1 Parachute Training School

This was formed on 15 February 1942 at Ringway in No 70 Group, as the PTC within the Airborne Forces Establishment.  It was transferred to No 38 Group on 1 November 1943 and  was redesignated No 1 PTS on 18 July.  On 28 March 1946 it moved to Upper Heyford, where it and was redesignated No 1 Parachute and Glider Training School on 2 December 1947.

No 1 Parachute Training School

It reformed from No 1 Parachute School on 1 November 1953 at Abingdon, moving to it present home at Brize Norton on 3 May 1976 and remains in existence.

No 3 Parachute Training School

This was formed from the Air Landing School (India) and the Air Navigation School on 26 February 1944 at Chaklala in No 229 Group, being transferred to BAFSEA on 1 April 1945 and then to No 1 (Indian) Group on 1 March 1947, finally being disbanded in November 1947.

No 4 Parachute Training School

This was formed on 2 May 1944 at Gioia del Colle in No 214 Group, being transferred to MACAF on 10 October and disbanded on 30 April 1945.

Parachute Training School (India)

This was formed on 22 September 1941 at Willingdon, Delhi and disbanded on 8 January 1942 into the Air Landing School (India).

Parachute Training Squadron

This was formed on 22 October 1940 at Ringway, within the CLE and disbanded on 15 February 1942 into the Parachute Training School.

Rapier Training Unit

This was formed on 1 April 1984 at West Raynham, moving to Honington in 1994, where it was redesignated the Joint Rapier Training Unit on 1 April 1999 and disbanded on 31 March 2006.

RAF  Anti-Gas School

This was formed by 1939 at Uxbridge in No 24 Group, moving to Rollestone Camp on 12 June 1939 and disbanded on 10 August 1946 into the RAF School of Fire Fighting and Anti-Gas.

RAF Central School of Aircraft Recognition

This was formed on in April 1951 at Bentley Priory, Stanmore, moving to Uxbridge on 15 September 1954 and then to West Malling on 11 November 1957, where it disbanded on 20 March 1959.

No 1 RAF Regiment School

This was formed on 27 February 1942 at Filey Camp and closed in February 1943.

No 2 RAF Regiment School

This was formed in February 1942 at Whitley Bay and closed on 25 January 1943.

No 3 RAF Regiment School

This was formed from No 1 Ground Gunners School on 6 June 1942 at Ronaldsway, Isle of Man, moving to Douglas by 31 August but closed in February 1943, re-opening almost immediately at Filey after which its fate is unknown.

Surface-to-Air Missile Operational Training School

This was formed from the Air Defence Missile Operations Training School on 1 January 1961 at Watton in No 12 Group and disbanded on 21 January 1964.

It reformed on 1 October 1963 at North Coates and disbanded at Watton on 17 September 1964 into No 25 Squadron.

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]