Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Flying training units - Elementary


[Pilots | Observers | Armament | Others]

This section will give brief histories of those flying training units providing aircrew training at an elementary level only: -

Pilot training units

No 1 Air School

This was formed from No 1 EFTS, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Baragwanath and disbanded on 29 February 1944.

No 2 Air School

This was formed from No 2 EFTS, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Randfontein and disbanded on 2 October 1944.

No 3 Air School

This was formed on 11 November 1940 at Wonderboom and disbanded on 25 September 1944.

No 4 Air School

This was formed on 11 November 1940 at Benoni and disbanded on 24 June 1945.

No 5 Air School

This was formed from No 5 EFTS, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Witbank and disbanded on 15 December 1944.

No 6 Air School

This was formed from No 6 EFTS, SAAF on 11 November 1940 at Potchefstroom and disbanded on 5 August 1946.

No 7 Air School

This was formed on 22 December 1941 at Kroonstad and disbanded on 21 January 1945.

Airwork Grading Unit

This was formed from the Flying Wing, No 2 Aircrew Grading School on 15 January 1952 at Digby and was redesignated No 1 Grading Unit (Airwork) on 9 June 1952.

Defence Elementary Flying Training School

Part of No 1 Elementary Flying Training School, it controls the Royal Navy and Army elements, comprising No 703 Squadron RN and No 674 Squadron, AAC, both located at RAF Barkston Heath, near Cranwell.

During World War Two the EFTSs were classified as follows

Class Pupil Strength No of Flights Aircraft Establishment (IE + IR)*
C 60 2 24 + 12
B 90 3 36 + 18
A 120 4 48 + 24
A+1 150 5 60 + 30
A+2 180 6 72 +36

*IE = Initial Establishment, IR = Immediate Reserve

RAF Liaison Officer, Chinese Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed in May 1943 at Walton near Lahore, becoming thr RAF Section, India detachment, Chinese Air Force Cadet Schools on 1 December 1944, finally closing on 28 February 1946.

No 1 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 1 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Hatfield in No 50 Group, initially operated by de Havilland Aircraft Co Ltd but became an RAF unit on 1 January 1940.  On 1 January 1941 it was a Class A school and on 14 June was raised to Class A+1, moving to Panshanger on 7 September 1942.  It was transferred to no 23 Group on 21 April 1947 and was redesignated No 1 Refresher Flying School on 5 May 1947.

It reformed on 11 July 2003 as a tri-service training unit to provide ab-initio training to members of all three services, prior to being streamed onto either Fast-Jet, Multi-Engine or Helicopters.  Although nominally based at RAF Cranwell, the DEFTS element operates from nearby Barkston Heath, whilst the RAF element, No 16 (Reserve) Squadron operates from RAF Wittering.  Some of the RAF's elementary training is also conducted by the University Air Squadrons.  No 1 EFTS comes under the overall control of No 3 FTS at RAF Cranwell.

[OCs]

No 2 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 2 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Filton in No 50 Group, initially operated by Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd as a Class B school.   On 2 August 1940 the HQ moved to Staverton, with flying taking place from Worcester but it and was redesignated No 6 (S)FIS on 1 November 1941.

It reformed on 22 July 1942 at Worcester under the control of No 50 Group, as a Class C school.  It moved to Yatesbury on9 July 1945, was transferred to No 23 Group on21 April 1947 and disbanded on 30 September 1947.

No 3 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 3 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Hamble in No 50 Group, initially operated by Air Service Training as a Class C school.  On 1 January 1940 it became an RAF unit and moved to Watchfield on 20 July.  It was raised to Class B on30 September 1941, moved to Shellingford on 18 December, was raised to Class A on 1 June 1942 and disbanded on 31 March 1948.

No 4 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 4 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Brough in No 51 Group, initially operated by Blackburn Aircraft Ltd as a Class C school.  It became an RAF unit on 15 October 1939, being raised to Class A in March 1940 and then to Class A+1 in May 1941.  Since its formation it had operated locally manufactured Blackburn B2s as well as Tiger Moths but the lat B2 was withdrawn in February 1942.  On 14 July 1945 it was transferred to No 50 Group and was redesignated No 4 Refresher Flying School on 10 March 1947.

No 5 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 5 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Hanworth in No 50 Group, as a Class B school.  It was raised to Class A in March 1940, moving to Meir on 17 June, where it was transferred to No 51 Group at the same time.  In October 1941 it reverted to Class B status and disbanded on 23 December 1941.

No 6 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 6 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Sywell in No 51 Group, initially operated by Brooklands Aviation Ltd.  It was transferred to No 50 Group on 7 July 1940, being raised to Class A on 1 January 1941, Class A+1 in May and then to Class A+2 in July, remaining as such until it and was redesignated No 6 Refresher Flying School on 12 May 1947.

No 7 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 7 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Desford in No 51 Group, initially operated by Reid and Sigrist Ltd as a Class B school.  It was raised to Class A on 1 January 1941, to Class A+1 on 30 September, to Class A+2 on1 June 1942 but reverted to Class A+1 on 1 January 1943.  Control was transferred to No 50 Group on 15 August 1945 and it and was redesignated No 7 Refresher Flying School on 9 May 1947.

No 8 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 8 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Woodley in No 50 Group, initially operated by Phillips and Powis Ltd below Class C level it was raised to Class C in March 1940.  In December it was raised to Class B, reverted to Class C on 1 January 1941 and the returned to Class B on 30 September but and disbanded on 15 October 1942.

It reformed from two flights of No 2 FIS on 7 May 1946 at Woodley under the control of No 50 Group but was redesignated No 8 Refresher Flying School on 3 March 1947.

No 9 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 9 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Ansty in No 51 Group, initially operated by Air Service Training as a Class B school.  It was raised to Class A on 1 January 1941, to Class A+1 on 30 September and to Class A+2 on 1 June 1942.  It and disbanded on 31 March 1944.

No 10 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 10 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Yatesbury in No 50 Group, initially operated by Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd, presumably as a Class C school as it was raised to Class B on 31 October.  It moved to Weston-super-Mare on 7 September 1940, being raised to Class A on 12 January 1941 and then moved to Stoke Orchard between 22-29 September 1941, where it and disbanded on 21 July 1942.

No 11 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 11 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Perth in No 51 Group, initially operated by Airwork Ltd as a Class C school.  On 1 January 1941 it was raised to Class A+1 and then to Class A+2 on 1 June 1942.  It was transferred to No 50 Group on 14 July 1945 and was redesignated No 11 Refresher Flying School on 18 March 1947.

No 12 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 12 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Prestwick in No 51 Group, initially operated by Scottish Aviation Ltd as a Class school.  It was raised to Class B on1 January 1941 but disbanded on 22 March 1941.

No 13 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 13 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at White Waltham in No 50 Group, initially operated by de Havilland School of Flying as a Class B school.   It moved to Peterborough on 20 October 1940 as a service manned Class A school but disbanded on 1 June 1941 to form Nos 21 and 25 (P)EFTSs.

No 14 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from Nos 14 and 44 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Castle Bromwich in No 51 Group, initially operated by Airwork Ltd as a Class C school.  It moved to Elmdon on 9 September, where it was raised to Class A on 1 January 1941.  Transferred to No 50 Group on 14 July 1945 it disbanded on 1 February 1946.

No 15 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 15 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Redhill in No 50 Group, initially operated by British Air Transport Ltd as a Class C school.  It moved to Carlisle on 2 June 1940, joining No 51 Group at the same time and was raised to Class B on 1 January 1941.  Further expansion took place with it becoming Class A in May, Class A+1 in June and Class A+2 on 30 September.  It reverted to No 50 Group on14 July 1945 and disbanded on 1 February 1946.

No 16 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 30 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Derby (Burnaston) in No 51 Group, as a Class B school.  It was raised to Class A in 1940, Class A+1 in August and then Class A+2 on 1 June 1942.  Transferred to No 50 Group on 14 July 1945 it was redesignated No 16 Refresher Flying School on 27 March 1947.

No 17 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 18 January 1941 at North Luffenham under the control of No 51 Group, initially operated by de Havilland Aircraft Co Ltd as a Class A school.  It was raised to Class A+1 on in May 1941, moving to Peterborough on 15 July, where it disbanded on 1 June 1942.

No 18 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 September 1939 at Fairoaks under the control of No 50 Group, initially operated by Universal Flying Services Ltd below Class C level, it was raised to Class C in March 1940, being further expanded to Class A in July 1941.  It was transferred to No 23 Group on 21 April 1947 and  was redesignated No 18 Refresher Flying School on 14 May 1947.

No 19 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 21 January 1941 at Sealand under the control of No 51 Group, as a Class A school but disbanded on 27 December 1941.

No 20 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 March 1941 at Yeadon under the control of No 51 Group, for grading duties as a Class C school.  It was raised to Class B on 2 September 1941 but disbanded on 9 January 1942.

No 21 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 June 1941 at Booker under the control of No 50 Group, initially operated by Airwork Ltdas a Class A school.  It was expanded to Class A+2 on 30 September 1941 and was transferred to No 23 Group on 5 November 1947.  On 5 November 1947 it took over the training of Army glider pilots and the elementary training of AOP pilots from No 29 EFTS and disbanded on 28 February 1950.

No 22 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 22 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Cambridge in No 51 Group, initially operated by Marshalls Flying School Ltd.  It was expanded to Class A in 1940, was transferred to No 50 Group on 8 July and expanded further to Class A+1 on 1 January 1941.  On 30 September 1941  it was raised to above Class+2 standard to become the largest EFTS in the UK with 7 flights.  In February 143 it began training AOP pilots and in April took over the training of flying instructor from No 4 (S) FIS.  On 1 April 1947, its Army training commitment was transferred to No 29 EFTS, being transferred to No 23 Group on the same day and was redesignated No 22 Refresher Flying School on 1 May 1947.

No 24 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from Nos 23 and 24 E&RFTS on 3 September 1939 at Sydenham in No 51 Group, initially operated by Short Brothers Ltd as a Class C school.   It moved to Luton on 22 July 1940, where it was expanded to Class A on 1 January 1941 and then on 7 February 1942 it moved to Sealand.  By June 1945 it was a Class A+1 school but on 15 August was reduced to below Class level.  Another move, this time to Rochester, was made on 1 March 1946, where it was transferred to No 23 Group on21 April 1947 and was redesignated No 24 Refresher Flying School on 7 May 1947.

No 25 (Polish) Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed from No 13 EFTS on 1 June 1941 at Peterborough in No 21 Group, absorbing the Elementary Flying Training Squadron of No 1 (Polish) Flying Training School on 9 June.  It moved to Hucknall on 16 July 1941 and in September 1943 was expanded to just above a Class B school.  It used RLGs at Firbeck and Papplewick Moor as well as the SLG at Blidworth.  In September 1943 it was expanded to Class A.  It disbanded into No 16 (Polish) FTS on 1 November 1945.

No 26 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 14 August 1941 at Theale under the control of No 50 Group, initially operated by Phillips and Powis Ltd, as a Class C school, which it remained until it disbanded on 9 July 1945.

No 27 Elementary Flying Training School

This was due to form in August/September 1941 at Baginton but formation was cancelled.

No 28 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 15 September 1941 at Wolverhampton, initially operated by Air Schools Ltd as a Class B school.  It was soon expanded to Class A and then to Class A+1 on 1 June 1942.  On 14 July 1945 it was transferred to No 50 Group, being reduced to below Class C level on 15 August.  Transferred to No 23 Group on 21 April 1947 it was redesignated No 25 Refresher Flying School on 26 June 1947.

No 29 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 13 September 1941 at Clyffe Pypard, initially operated by Marshalls Flying School Ltd as a Class A school.  On 1 April 1947 it took over the training of Army glider and AOP pilots from No 22 EFTS, being transferred to No 21 Group on 21 April and disbanded on 5 November 1947.

No 30 Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 September 1939 at Burnaston, initially operated by Air Schools Ltd as a Class B school but was redesignated No 16 EFTS on 10 April 1940.

No 31 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 16 April 1941 at Kirkham, embarking on the SS Royal Ulsterman at Glasgow and arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 6 May.  It then moved to Calgary, Alberta, joining No 4 Training Command.  On 16 October it moved to De Winton, Alberta, where it was operated by Malton Flying Training Schools Ltd, using RAF instructors on 13 July 1942 and disbanded on 25 August 1944.

No 32 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 2 June 1941 at Swift Current, Alberta under the control of No 4 Training Command, moving to Bowden, Alberta on 27 November and disbanded on 8 September 1944.

No 33 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 7 December 1941 at Caron, Saskatchewan under the control of No 4 Training Command and was redesignated No 18 EFTS, RCAF on 14 January 1944.

No 34 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 2 February 1942 at Assiniboia, Saskatchewan under the control of No 4 Training Command and was redesignated No 25 EFTS, RCAF on 30 January 1944.

No 35 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 24 February 1942 at Neepawa, Manitoba under the control of No 3 Training Command and was redesignated No 26 EFTS, RCAF on 30 January 1944.

No 36 Elementary Flying Training School (Canada)

This was formed on 17 March 1942 at Pearce, Alberta under the control of No 4 Training Command and disbanded on 14 August 1942.

No 1 Elementary Flying Training School (India)

This was formed on 24 February 1941 at Begumpet, coming under No 227 Group on 6 June 1942 disbanded on 10 July 1945.

No 2 Elementary Flying Training School (India)

This was formed on 1 May 1942 at Jodhpur, coming under No 227 Group on 6 June 1943 was redesignated EFTS (RIAF) on 1 June 1947.

Elementary Flying Training School (Kenya)

This was formed from No 2 (Training) Flight, Kenya Auxiliary Air Unit on 21 August 1940 at Nairobi and was redesignated No 30 EFTS on in January 1941.

No 30 Elementary Flying Training School (Kenya)

This was formed from EFTS (Kenya) on in January 1941 at Nairobi and disbanded on 13 March 1941.

No 25 Elementary Flying Training School (Southern Rhodesia)

This was formed on 24 May 1940 at Belvedere Airport, near Salisbury, from a nucleus that had arrived on 14 May 1940 having embarked at Southampton on 25 April.  It disbanded on 20 November 1944.

No 26 Elementary Flying Training School (Southern Rhodesia)

This was formed on 8 August 1940 at Guinea Fowl, near Gwelo, from a nucleus that had embarked in the UK on 18 July.  It disbanded on 14 August 1945.

No 27 Elementary Flying Training School (Southern Rhodesia)

This was formed on 2 February 1941 at Induna, near Bulawayo, from a nucleus that had arrived in Southern Rhodesia on 28 January 1941 and disbanded on 21 September 1945.

No 28 Elementary Flying Training School (Southern Rhodesia)

This was formed on 1 April 1941 at Mount Hampden, near Salisbury, from a nucleus that had assembled in Wolverhampton on before moving out to Southern Rhodesia and disbanded on 21 September 1945.

Elementary Flying Training Squadron

This was formed on 1 June 1987 at Swinderby, from the Flying Selection Squadron and disbanded on 1 April 1993, its task being transferred to the Joint EFTS at Topcliffe.

No 1 Elementary Gliding Training School

This was formed on 30 August 1942 in the Birmingham area and possibly became No 41 Gliding School in 1942.

No 2 Elementary Gliding Training School

This was formed on 25 October 1942 at an unknown location and possibly became No 122 Gliding School on an unknown date.

No 3 Elementary Gliding Training School

This was formed on 4 October 1942 at White Waltham and possibly became No 123 Gliding School on an unknown date.

No 1 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 4 August 1935 at Hatfield.  Operated by the de Havilland Aircraft Co Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 was then transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 1 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 2 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on in 1935 at Filton.  Operated by the Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 was then transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 2 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 3 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on in 1935 at Whitley.  Operated by Armstrong Whitworth, it moved to Hamble on 1 April 1931, where it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 3 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 4 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on in 1935 at Brough.  Initially operated by the North Sea Aerial and General Transport Co Ltd and later Blackburn Aircraft Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 4 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 5 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 June 1935 at Hanworth.  Initially operated by Flying Training Ltd and later Blackburn Aircraft Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 5 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 6 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 10 June 1935 at Sywell.  Operated by Brooklands Aviation Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 6 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 7 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 25 November 1935 at Desford.  Operated by Reid and Sigrist Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 7 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 8 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 25 November 1935 at Woodley.  Operated by Phillips and  Powis Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 8 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 9 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 6 January 1936 at Ansty.  Operated by Air Service Training Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 9 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 10 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 January 1936 at Filton/Whitchurch.  Operated by the Bristol Aeroplane Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 10 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 11 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 27 January 1936 at Perth.  Operated by Airwork Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 11 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 12 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 17 February 1936 at Prestwick.  Operated by Scottish Aviation Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 12 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 13 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 18 November 1935 at White Waltham.  Operated by the de Havilland Aircraft Co Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 13 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 14 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 July 1937 at Castle Bromwich.  Operated by Airwork Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 14 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 15 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 July 1937 at Redhill.  Operated by British Air Transport Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated 15 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 16 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 July 1937 at Shoreham.  Operated by the Martin School of Air Navigation or Brooklands Aviation Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 17 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 October 1937 at Barton.  Operated by Airwork Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 2 September 1939.

No 18 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 October 1937 at Fairoaks.  Operated by Universal Flying Services Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 18 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 19 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 October 1937 at Gatwick.  Operated by Airports Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 19 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 20 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 October 1937 at Gravesend.  Operated by Airports Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1940 and disbanded on 3 September 1939 to form No 14 EFTS.

No 21 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 January 1938 at Stapleford Tawney.  Operated by Reid and Sigrist Ltd, it was placed in No 26 Group in February 1938 before being transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 22 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 February 1938 at Cambridge in No 26 Group.  Operated by Marshalls Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 22 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 23 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 April 1938 at Rochester in No 26 Group.  Operated by Short Brothers Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939 into No 24 EFTS.

No 24 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 January 1939 at Sydenham in No 26 Group.  Operated by Short Brothers Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1940 and disbanded on 3 September 1939 into No 24 EFTS.

No 25 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 24 June 1938 at Waltham, Grimsby in No 26 Group.  Operated by the Herts and Essex Aero Club Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 26 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 24 June 1938 at Kidlington in No 26 Group.  Operated by Marshalls Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 2 September 1939.

No 27 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 24 June 1938 at Tollerton in No 26 Group.  Operated by Nottingham Airport Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 28 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 August 1938 at Meir in No 26 Group.  Operated by Reid and Sigrist Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 29 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 August 1938 at Luton in No 26 Group.  Operated by Birkett Air Services Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 30 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 29 September 1938 at Burnaston in No 26 Group.  Operated by Air Schools Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and was redesignated No 30 EFTS on 3 September 1939.

No 31 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 29 September 1938 at Staverton in No 26 Group.  Operated by Surrey Flying Services, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 32 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 15 April 1939 at Greatham, West Hartlepool in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Portsmouth, Southsea and Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 33 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 December 1938 at Whitchurch in No 26 Group.  Operated by Chamier, Gilbert Lodge & Co Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 34 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 January 1939 at Rochford in No 26 Group.  Operated by Air Hire Ltd, it was transferred to No 50 Group on 1 February 1939 and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 35 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 May 1939 at Grangemouth in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Scottish Aviation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 36 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Sherburn-in-Elmet and but formation was cancelled on 2 September 1939

No 37 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 July 1939 at Exeter in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Straight Corporation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 38 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 July 1939 at Kingstown in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Border Flying Club and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 39 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 July 1939 at Weston-super-Mare in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Straight Corporation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 40 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 15 August 1939 at Mousehold, Norwich in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Air Contractors Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 41 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Dyce.  It was to be operated by Aberdeen Flying Services Ltd and but formation was cancelled on 2 September 1939

No 42 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 August 1939 at Squires Gate in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Reid and Sigrist Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 43 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 June 1939 at Woolsington in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Newcastle Flying Club and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 44 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 May 1939 at Elmdon in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Airwork Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 45 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 3 July 1939 at Ipswich in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Straight Corporation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 46 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 August 1939 at Roborough in No 50 Group.  It was operated by Portsmouth, Southsea and Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 47 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 15 July 1939 at Doncaster in No 50 Group.  It was operated by the de Havilland Aircraft Co Ltd and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 48 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Baginton and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 49 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed in 1939 at Salmesbury in No 50 Group and disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 50 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Booker and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 50 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed on 24 May 1939 at Ringway operated by Airwork Ltd but disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 51 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Abbotsinch and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 52 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Clifton, York and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 53 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Yeadon and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 54 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Eastleigh and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 55 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Speke and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 56 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was formed 24 August 1939 at Kenley in No 50 Group abut disbanded on 3 September 1939.

No 57 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Coventry and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 58 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Braunstone and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

No 59 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School

This was due to form in 1939 at Cardiff and but formation was cancelled on 3 September 1940

Emergency Flying Training Flight

This was formed from the Far East Communication Flight on 26 August 1939 attached to No 4 AACU at Seletar but reverted to its previous title on by April 1940.

Flying Selection Squadron

This was formed on 3 July 1979 at Swinderby, to undertake the grading of prospective pilots was redesignated Elementary Flying training Squadron on 1 June

Glider Flight

This was formed on 7 August 1940 as part of the Central Landing Establishment at Ringway and was redesignated the Glider Training Squadron, CLE on 22 September 1940.

No 1 Grading School

This was formed on 3 January 1951 at Digby.  operated by Airwork Ltd and was redesignated Airwork Grading Unit on 15 January 1952.

No 2 Grading School

This was formed on 3 January 1951 at Digby in No 23 Group.  It was transferred to No 54 Group and redesignated No 2 Aircrew Grading Unit on 1 May 1951.

No 1 Grading Unit (Airwork)

This was formed from the Airwork Grading Unit on 9 June 1952 at Digby in No 54 Group and disbanded on 31 March 1953.

No 2 Grading Unit (Airwork)

This was formed from part of the Airwork Grading Unit on 9 June 1952 at Kirton-in-Lindsey in  and disbanded on 31 March 1953.

Joint Elementary Flying Training School

This was formed on 1 April 1993 at Topcliffe, being provided by a civilian contractor to take over the role of the EFT Squadron and the RNEFTS.  It moved to Barkston Heath on 1 April 1995 and was redesignated No 1 EFTS on 11 July 2003.

Polish Grading and Testing Flight

This was formed on 15 February 1940 at Redhill, within No 15 EFTS.  It moved to Kirkbride, still affiliated to No 15 EFTS, on 3 June 1940 and was absorbed into No 1 (Polish) FTS on 30 November 1940.

Primary Flying Squadron

This was formed on an unknown date at South Cerney in No 25 Group, within the CFS.  It moved to Church Fenton on 16 January 1967, where it merged with the Aircrew Officer Training School on 21 January 1968 and was redesignated No 2 FTS on 15 January 1970.

The Pupil Pilots Pool

This was formed from No 3 Pupil Pilots Pool on 8 March 1943 at Wolverhampton and disbanded in April 1947.

No 1 Pupil Pilots Pool

This was formed on 3 November 1941 at Peterborough in No 51 Group and disbanded on 8 March 1943.

No 2 Pupil Pilots Pool

This was formed on 3 November 1941 at Clyffe Pypard in No 50 Group and disbanded on 8 March 1943.

No 3 Pupil Pilots Pool

This was formed on 3 November 1941 at Wolverhampton in No 51 Group and was redesignated The Pupil Pilots Pool on 8 March 1943.

RN Elementary Flying Training Squadron

This was formed in April 1973 at Church Fenton and disbanded on 7 July 1993, its task being taken over by a civilian contractor.

Observer training units

No 48 Air School

This was formed from  on 11 November 1940 at Woodbrook (East London), moving to Driftsands on 9 December 1944 and disbanded on 1 April 1945.

No 1 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed out of No 12 E&RFTS on 15 August 1938 at Prestwick as a civilian operated school run by Scottish Aviation Ltd and was redesignated No 1 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 2 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed out of No 10 E&RFTS on 26 September 1938 at Yatesbury under the control of No 50 Group as a civilian operated school run by the Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd and was redesignated No 2 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 3 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed out of No 7 E&RFTS on in August 1938 at Desford as a civilian operated school run by Reid & Sigrist Ltd and was redesignated No 3 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 4 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed out of No 9 E&RFTS on 2 September 1939 at Ansty as a civilian operated school run by Air Service Training Ltd and was redesignated No41 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 5 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed on 2 September 1939 at Weston-super-Mare under the control of No 50 Group as a civilian operated school run by Western Airways and was redesignated No51 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 6 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed as Martin's School of Navigation on 26 May 1938 at Shoreham as a civilian operated school, moving to Cheltenham and Gloucester Airport as the Airwork Civil School of Navigation on 15 March 1939.  It was redesignated No 6 CANS on 6 August, with the airport being renamed Staverton on 10 September and was redesignated No 6 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 7 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed on 9 January 1939 at Scone, Perth under the control of No 50 Group as a civilian operated school run by Airwork Ltd and was redesignated No 7 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 8 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed on 2 September 1939 at Sywell as a civilian operated school run by Brooklands Aviation Ltd and was redesignated No 8 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 9 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed on 25 September 1939 at Squires Gate as a civilian operated school run by Brooklands Aviation Ltd and was redesignated No 9 AONS on 1 November 1939.

No 10 Civil Air Navigation School

This was formed on 2 October 1939 at Grangemouth as a civilian operated school run by Scottish Aviation Ltd and was redesignated No 10 AONS on 1 November 1939.

Civilian Navigation School

This was formed on an unknown date at Hamble and moved to Weston-super-Mare, being redesignated No 5 CANS on 2 September 1939.

No 1 Elementary Air Navigators School

This was formed from No 1 EAOS on 15 May 1942 at Eastbourne, moving to Bridgnorth on 4 October 1942 and disbanded on 1 June 1944.

No 1 Elementary Air Observers School

This was formed on 1 October 1941 at Eastbourne under the control of No 54 Group, to provide a level of training between ITW and AGS and was redesignated No 1 Elementary Air Navigation School on 15 May 1942.

Armament training units

No 1 Elementary Air Gunners School

This was formed on 1 March 1943 at Bridlington, to provide a level of training between ITW and AGS.  It moved to Bridgnorth on 31 May where its task was taken over by Nos 80, 81 and 82 ITWs when it and disbanded on 21 April 1944.

Other flying training units

Aircrew Grading School

This was formed from the National Service elements of the Aircrew Transit Unit (Driffield) and No 2 Grading School on 15 August 1951 at Digby but was redesignated No 1 Grading School (Airwork) on 9 June 1952.

No 2 Aircrew Grading School

This was formed from the National Service element of the Aircrew Transit Unit (Digby) on 15 August 1951 at  and was civilianised at the Airwork Grading Unit on 30 June 1952.

Air Crew Testing and Grading School

This was formed in January 1945 at Melbourne, under the control of No 4 Group and was redesignated the Transport Command Air Crew Examining Unit on 1 November 1945.

RAF Training Delegation (France)

This was formed under the control of No 28 Group at Rochefort on 8 May 1945, comprising an ITW at Chambery, an EFTS at La Rochelle and SFTS at Cognac, an A&NBS and AGS at Cazaux and a Radio School at Pau.  It was absorbed into RAF Delegation (France) on 10 January 1946.

No 1 Training School and Depot

This was formed under RAF West Africa at Takoradi by Aug/Sep 1945 but after that its fate is unknown.

[Pilots | Observers | Air Gunners | Others]

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

         [Top of Page]