Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site


Help Needed?



Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me

Airmen awarded the OBE and MBE for gallantry 1944-1945

This section contains the citations that appeared in the London Gazette in 1944 and 1945, although some of the actions for the awards were  made took place earlier: -

 Flying Officer Donald James Dines (120751) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

One evening in August, 1943, Flying Officer Dines was the observer of an aircraft which, owing to engine failure, came down on the sea. The pilot sustained injuries to his head and Flying Officer Dines, displaying initiative, took command of the crew. As a result of his untiring efforts the dinghy was eventually recovered from the wreckage. Then, in order to save an airman who was a non-swimmer, Flying Officer Dines swam over to a petrol tank which had broken loose and succeeded in getting the airman on to it temporarily. He eventually inflated the dinghy and assisted all the crew, including the non-swimmer, into it safely. By this time Flying Officer Dines was almost exhausted but he immediately took control of the emergency rations and flares. All were rescued several hours later. The lives of Flying Officer Dines' comrades were undoubtedly saved by his courage and coolness in extremely difficult circumstances.

(London Gazette 14 January 1944)

Flying Officer Robert Dunlop, M.B., B.Ch. (138359), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

 One afternoon in July, 1943, an aircraft crashed on landing and caught fire. The pilot and a passenger, who were the only occupants, were both thrown out of the cockpit and trapped beneath the wreckage of a wing. Corporal Burton, assisted by two other airmen, attempted to rescue the occupants but all we're driven back by the heat. Undeterred, Burton made another attempt alone and this time succeeded in partially lifting the burning wreckage of the wing and he then dragged the pilot clear. Flying Officer Dunlop, a medical officer, had arrived at the scene of the accident and on being informed that the passenger was still under the wreckage, attempted to release him. Whilst this was being done an explosion occurred but Flying Officer Dunlop continued his rescue efforts and dragged the passenger clear of the aircraft. This officer and airman displayed considerable bravery.

992138 Corporal Charles Valentine Burton, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette 14 January 1944) 

Flying Officer Cyril Brooking Thornton (117692), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In November, 1943, a Mosquito aircraft, carrying full operational equipment and long range petrol tanks, crashed whilst taking off and immediately burst into flames. Soon explosions were occurring almost continuously owing to fuel tanks, cannon shells and Verey cartridges being ignited. Blazing wreckage was being flung in all directions. Flying Officer Thornton, a pilot, was one of the first to arrive at the scene of the accident. Finding the navigator had been thrown clear, he made him comfortable, organised the medical party and supervised the injured airman's removal to the ambulance. Then, with complete disregard of his own safety, this officer made straight for the main area of the crash which was surrounded by barbed wire, and saw that the pilot of the aircraft was lying beside an engine with his clothing on fire. Flying Officer Thornton went through the wire into the middle of the wreckage to reach the pilot, and, in spite of the great danger he was in, put out the flames on the pilot's clothing, and removed his parachute. With assistance he then carried the pilot to an ambulance. Unfortunately, both the rescued airmen died later but had it not been for the prompt and gallant action of Flying Officer Thornton, who sustained burns to both his hands, neither would have been rescued alive.

(London Gazette 14 March 1944)

Acting Squadron Leader Wilmot Reginald Pettit, D.F.C. (Can/J. 15517), Royal Canadian Air Force.

One night in February, 1944, Squadron Leader Pettit was the officer in charge of night flying at a Royal Air Force Station when an aircraft, whilst attempting an emergency landing, overshot the end of the runway and overturned. The aircraft immediately caught fire. Squadron Leader Pettit rushed to the spot and, with the assistance of the fire party led by Leading Aircraftman Wray, quickly released two members of the crew who had been trapped in the fuselage. Squadron Leader Pettit then found that the rear gunner was seriously injured and trapped upside down in his turret. By this time the aircraft was burning furiously and the petrol tanks had started to explode. In spite of this and of the further danger from exploding ammunition and pyrotechnics, Squadron Leader Pettit decided to attempt the extremely difficult task of removing the rear turret completely from the fuselage as all other attempts to reach the trapped gunner had failed. By strenuous efforts he was ultimately able to get into the turret while a party, headed by Leading Aircraftman Wray, wrenched at it from outside. Eventually the gunner was extricated alive and without any addition to the severe in juries which he had sustained in the crash. Squadron Leader Pettit's coolness, courage and initiative and Leading Aircraftman Wray's determination and devotion to duty in dangerous circumstances were of a very high order and were instrumental in saving the lives of three members of the crew of the aircraft.

944525 Leading Aircraftman Joseph Therwell Wray, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette -  

Squadron Leader Ernest Reginald Brown (78224), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

 In February, 1944, a Mosquito aircraft crashed and caught fire when approaching to land. The pilot was killed instantly but the observer was  alive and rescue parties tried in turn to extricate him from the blazing wreckage. Party, after party failed and each attempt became more difficult owing to the increasing heat of the fire in the cockpit area of the wreckage. Eventually, Squadron Leader Brown, the Station medical officer, and Corporal Greenwood made a final and desperate effort as the situation had become critical because the supplies of foam were exhausted temporarily and the fire remained, unchecked for some minutes. If their effort failed it was clear that immediate amputation of the observer's leg was the only way by which he could be released. Displaying extreme courage, Squadron Leader Brown and Corporal Greenwood withstood the intense heat of the flames and, by the skilful use of the tools at their disposal, succeeded in breaking away the wreckage which was trapping the observer's leg. They then removed the airman to the ambulance. While first aid was being rendered, Squadron Leader Brown returned to the wreckage to make certain that the pilot was not alive. This officer and airman displayed outstanding courage and determination.

1444303 Corporal George Greenwood, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette 22 August 1944)

Sister Miss Vera Kathleen Stone, (5683), Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service.

One night in April, 1944, Sister Stone was in her quarters when a Halifax aircraft crashed through 3 huts in which W.A.A.F. personnel were billeted. Although she had completed 12 hours continuous duty, Sister Stone was soon at the scene of the accident where she immediately took control of the situation and undoubtedly quelled what might have been a serious panic. Small fires from lighted stoves began to spring up but in spite of these and the risk of falling debris, and ignoring the fact that the aircraft was lying beside one of the huts, Sister Stone extricated many of the wounded and administered aid to those in distress. Although the aircraft carried only smoke bombs this was not known at the time. After the arrival of the medical officers, Sister Stone went immediately to the operating theatre where she spent the rest of the night attending to the wounded; she reported for her normal duties at 8 the next morning. She displayed great efficiency and devotion to duty.

(London Gazette 22 August 1944)


Wing Commander Robert Terence CORRY (90034), Auxiliary Air Force.

In July, 1944, an aircraft developed engine trouble 'immediately after taking off and the pilot, after having jettisoned the torpedo, returned to base. When attempting to land, the aircraft burst into flames. The ambulance and fire tender were quickly on the scene and Wing Commander Corry, who was on flying control duty, arrived a few seconds later. He observed the pilot standing in his cockpit which was enveloped by flames. Ignoring the danger from the exploding cannon shells and petrol tanks and believing he faced a further risk from the explosion of the torpedo which he thought1 was still on board, Wing Commander Corry climbed on to the burning wing in an endeavour to extricate the pilot.   The heat became intense and a major explosion was expected at any moment but this did not deter Wing Commander Corry. He persisted in his rescue efforts until, having been overcome by the fumes and heat, he fell backwards off the wing. He was then assisted away a distance of about 15 yards from the crash. Although unable to see clearly, Wing Commander Corry endeavoured to repeat his previous attempt; there was, however, no hope of effecting a rescue.  Wing Commander Corry sustained burns to his face and suffered from shock in trying to effect a rescue. The courage and devotion to duty displayed by this officer were of a very high standard.

(London Gazette - 22 September 1944)


Acting Squadron Leader David Duncan MORRELL, M.B., B.S. (79133), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In June, 1944, a Liberator aircraft crashed into the sea some distance from the shore at Littlestone and an airman of the United States Army Air Force was trapped in the nose of the aircraft which quickly became almost submerged. Squadron Leader Morrell immediately waded into the surf and attempted to swim towards the 'Liberator but was unable - to reach it owing to the very heavy sea and strong current. He then commandeered an amphibious vehicle which was passing along the water front and eventually he was conveyed to the side of the Liberator. By this time, the water was up to the shoulders of the trapped airman and he was suffering considerably.

Displaying outstanding initiative and courage and ignoring the grave possibility of being trapped himself, Squadron Leader Morrell dived to the bottom of the fuselage. By using great force Squadron Leader Morrell tore away a part of the aircraft which then enabled him to release the airman. Immediately afterwards he administered morphia to the suffering airman.  All this took place inside the fuselage.   Squadron Leader Morrell finally succeeding in dragging the airman clear of the aircraft and, with assistance, he got him aboard the waiting craft. Squadron Leader Morrell's outstanding courage and initiative saved the airman's life.

(London Gazette - 22 September 1944)

Dr Morrell and his family taken after the war, when he was a GP in County Durham

Photo courtesy Ian Huntly MIMI

Pilot Officer Eric Marcus Stitcher (162708), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

This officer was performing embarkation duties in the Port of London in June, 1944, when a flying bomb exploded where railway waggons, loaded with petrol, ammunition and other stores  destined for Normandy were closely stabled.  Although his shoes had been burnt and his clothing had become soaked with petrol, with complete disregard for his own safety he immediately proceeded, with the help of a shunter of the P.L.A. staff, to uncouple the burning waggons and isolate them. He remained in command of the situation until it was completely under control, personally assisting in the movements of dangerously burning trucks, thereby isolating and saving large consignments of petrol, explosives and equipment.  By his devotion to duty, regardless of his own safety, he was primarily responsible for confining the damage to those trucks directly involved in the explosion.

(London Gazette - 22 September 1944)

OBE (Military Division)

Squadron Leader Frederick Arthur James Chapman (44140), Royal Air Force.

MBE (Military Division)

Flying Officer Lewis Leyshon Thomas (113772), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In April, 1944, an aircraft crashed and caught fire at a Royal Air Force Station,, of the crew of five, one member was thrown clear. The above officer and airman went into the flames whilst ammunition was exploding all around in order to rescue the remaining members. Squadron Leader Chapman, the chief technical officer at the station, succeeded in dragging clear an, airman who was trapped amongst the burning wreckage. Flying Officer Thomas, a physical training officer, was also able to extricate another member who was caught, near the lower 'part of his body, by the wreckage. Aircraftman Skerritt, an airman employed on fire fighting duties, was successful in extricating one of the pilots from the cockpit. In effecting this rescue, Aircraftman Skerritt sustained several cuts and bruises and was told to report to sick quarters. He insisted on remaining however, and helped in putting out the conflagration. All three rescuers displayed courage in dangerous circumstances. Four members of the crew, including the one thrown clear, were saved from the wreckage, a result which-was achieved owing to the bravery of these two officers nd airman.

3050143 Aircraftman 1st Class Verner Skerritt, Royal Air Force was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette -

Flying Officer James Frederick Smith (141924), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

 One night in July, 1944, a Wellington aircraft, which was coming in to land stalled and crashed into a bomb dump The aircraft immediately burst into flames and a large number of 30 lb. explosive incendiary bombs became ignited. Despite the appalling nature of the conflagration, which was greatly increased by the presence of hundreds of gallons of petrol, and high explosive bombs which commenced to detonate in the dump, Flying Officer Smith (the unit fire officer) immediately took charge of the fire fighting operations. With the help of Corporal Deakin (the non-commissioned Officer-in-Charge of the fire party) Flying Officer Smith directed the operations to subdue the fire in a most capable and efficient manner for a period of i$ hours. The fire was fought from very close range, without cover, and eventually it was extinguished. The strenuous work had prevented it from spreading over the whole of the dump. This officer and airman displayed outstanding courage and initiative in the face of great danger and their actions resulted in much valuable property and material being saved.

756609 Corporal Rex Arthur Deakin, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette -

Flying Officer Basil Thomson (130755). Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

At about 10.00 hours one day in May, 1944 a four engined aircraft crashed on a main surface bomb dump which contained a large number of 500 lb. and 1,000 lb. bombs. The aircraft burst into flames immediately and the port-outer and inner motors were thrown on to the bombs. Flying Officer Thomson (the station fire officer) and Aircraftman Trotter (the non-commissioned Officer-in-Charge of a crash tender crew), were on the scene almost immediately and fire fighting appliances from two crash tenders were operating, under Flying Officer Thomson's ' direction, within 15 seconds of the crash. Petrol was flowing from the aircraft and a large part of the fuselage and wings were soon burnt out completely; the bombs- became too hot to touch. During a hazardous inspection of the fuselage, Flying Officer Thomson observed one bomb, which had become dislodged from the dump, lying under the main 'fuselage of' the crashed aircraft and in the centre of the fire. He obtained assistance and the bomb was successfully removed. Flying Officer Thomson showed outstanding courage, leadership, and determination and, with Leading Aircraftman Trotter who also played a valiant part in dangerous conditions, was responsible for the saving pf' much valuable equipment.

512356 Leading Aircraftman John Henry Trotter, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette -

Acting Flight Lieutenant Harold Suffield Harboard (121833), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In July, 1944, a Typhoon aircraft which had been damaged by enemy action crashed on to 8 aircraft in the marshalling area on an airfield. The Typhoon burst into flames and set fire to 3 of the other aircraft. Flight Lieutenant Harboard leapt on to the fire engine and, on arrival at the scene of the crash, unhesitatingly fought his way through the heat and flames. With the aid of Leading Aircraftman Eason, he succeeded in extricating the pilot from the cockpit of the Typhoon and in removing his burning clothing, despite the explosion of the petrol tanks. This officer and airman displayed high courage and undoubtedly saved the life of the pilot.

1239442 Leading Aircraftman Charles Edward John Eason, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for his part in this action.

(London Gazette 3 November 1944)

Acting Flight Lieutenant George Thomas Lipscombe (110655), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Royal Air Force Regiment.

In June, 1944, Flight Lieutenant Lipscombe was .supervising the throwing of live grenades under field conditions, using a fold in the ground as cover. A grenade thrown by an airman fell short and hit the ground between himself and the crest of the fold. It rested about 10 feet from where the airman and Flight Lieutenant Lipscombe were standing. Flight Lieutenant Lipscombe immediately threw the airman to the ground and lay on him to afford him protection, although this brought the officer .to within 7 feet of the grenade; the latter exploded without injuring anyone. This officer then persisted in instructing the airman who threw another grenade which fell to the ground in a similar position. Flight Lieutenant Lipscombe unhesitatingly repeated his previous action to protect the airman. After the second grenade had exploded he at once continued to instruct the airman who finally threw a third grenade successfully. By his prompt action and unselfish conduct, Flight Lieutenant Lipscombe prevented what might have been a fatal accident, and he instilled a high degree of confidence into the whole class.

(London Gazette 3 November 1944)

Flight Lieutenant Harold John SHUTTLEWORTH (61452), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

 On Monday, November 27th, 1944, an explosion on an immense scale occurred in a mine forming the R.A.F. bomb storage depot near Burton-on-Trent. The depot, which consisted of tunnelled workings into low hills, was divided into two parts, known as  the Old and New Mines, by a solid wall partly of native rock and partly of artificial construction. The explosion occurred in the small (New Mine where some 4,000 tons of bombs and other explosives were stored, including over 1,500 four-thousand pound bombs. This part of the depot -was completely obliterated, a crater 350 yards by 600 yards being formed with an enormous open rent in continuation to the north-west. Serious damage was also done to the Old Mine, alongside where some 8,000 to 10,000 tons of bombs were stored. Here blast caused dangerous roof falls and cracks and scattered bombs and other explosives over the floors whilst poisonous fumes generated by the explosion percolated from the New Mine. Apart from the damage to the depot, a nearby commercial mine was completely wrecked by huge quantities of rock and sodden earth thrown up by the explosion and by the escaping waters of a small lake which had Over 60 people lost their lives. 

Wing Commander Kings was temporarily commanding the R.A.F. Unit on the spot. He was the first to enter the mine, some 10 minutes after the explosion, had occurred. All the lights had been extinguished but with the help of a handlamp operating intermittently, Wing Commander Kings made as full a search of the underground area as was possible before he was affected by dangerous fumes and had to retire. He then took control of the emergency work above ground, including the control of stacks of incendiary bombs which had been set alight outside the mine entrance. He arranged for further help and took steps to determine the extent of the casualties and damage. On arrival of the National Fire Service with oxygen apparatus, Wing Commander Kings, with Foreman Salt and three National Fire Service men, again searched the mine, concentrating particularly on the areas where the roof had fallen. He continued this search until for the second time he was forced to retire by the effects of noxious fumes. Thereafter Wing Commander Kings made every effort to keep the situation under control, accepting and co-ordinating offers of assistance as they came to hand. Throughout, he acted with conspicuous gallantry and resource, and showed fine leadership.

Flight Lieutenant Lewin on his own initiative, and alone, entered the mine some 20 minutes after the explosion and carried out a prolonged search in the underground workings. He later entered a second time with Foreman Coker and remained underground for about an-hour searching most of the roads in an endeavour to find the missing persons. The fumes had by this time become more dangerous and while Foreman Coker persisted as long as he could, he had in the end to be carried out by Flight Lieutenant Lewin who then re-entered the mine alone to continue his endeavours. .He did not abandon his search until the arrival of teams of the Mines Rescue Organisation with oxygen apparatus. Flight Lieutenant Lewin then went to the nearby commercial Mine and descended the airshaft several times to a dangerous gas-filled area to remove casualties. Finally he assisted Wing Commander Kings in organising overground relief measures. Throughout he acted with gallantry, initiative and complete disregard for his own safety. Flight Lieutenant Shuttleworth accompanied Foreman Salt into the mine on his first re-entry, some half-hour after the explosion, when conditions underground were still unknown and there were all manner of possible risks - further explosions, fire, roof falls, noxious fumes. With Foreman Salt he helped rescue an injured man. Later Flight Lieutenant Shuttleworth played an important part' in maintaining control and, by his fine example, greatly encouraged other rescue workers.

Whilst these rescue operations were developing in the Old Mine, Corporal Rock and Corporal Peters made their way to an airshaft in the New Mine, which they reached about an hour and a quarter after the explosion. They had found twenty workmen cut off in this part of the mine. They had endeavoured to make their way out by a road passing the ventilating shaft, but ran into noxious fumes and five of them died. The remainder retraced their steps to the ventilating shaft. Their calls for help were heard by Corporals Rock and Peters. Both repeatedly went down the iron ladder in the shaft into the gas-filled chamber, rescued the men who were still alive, and recovered a number of dead.

Acting Wing Commander Donald Leslie KINGS (72222), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and Flight Lieutenant John Preston LEWIN (31337), Reserve Air Force Officers were award the George Medal for their part in this action.

1071150 Corporal Sidney Benjamin ROCK, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and 1202817 Corporal James Sim PETERS, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve were awarded the BEM for their part in this action.

(London Gazette 10 April 1945)

Warrant Officer William BARNETT - (973926). Royal Air Force.

In December, 1944, .a Mitchell aircraft, which was fully loaded with petrol, caught fire soon after the take-off. The pilot, Flight Sergeant Anderson, made a crash landing during which he and the navigator. Warrant Officer Barnett, received head and other superficial injuries, burns and shock. They both left the wrecked aircraft by way of the escape hatch and then returned to rescue the radio operator who was trapped in the flames beneath the fuselage. Warrant Officer Barnett, using great strength, lifted the rear portion of the fuselage whilst Flight Sergeant Anderson crawled- in and dragged the radio operator clear. They then assisted him away from the conflagration. They showed disregard for their own safety and injuries and, by their courage, .undoubtedly saved the life of their comrade. 

1521658 Flight-Sergeant Matthew ANDERSON, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was also awarded the BEM for this action.

(London Gazette 27 April 1945)

Acting Squadron Leader Frederick Charles BATTEN (106782), R.A.F.V.R.

The demolition of a partially blasted German ammunition dump was in progress near San Severo airfield. Italy, when, in July, 1944, an explosion occurred, killing 7 airmen. Considerable quantities of shells, mines and bombs were scattered over an area of about 20 acres. Many of these missiles had been damaged by the force of the explosion and had become extremely sensitive and highly dangerous to handle. It was, however, necessary to proceed with the demolition owing to the proximity of San Severo airfield which was seriously endangered. The task was undertaken by Squadron Leader Batten, the Commanding Officer of No. 5136 (B/D) Squadron, assisted by Flight Sergeant Baxter and another non-commissioned officer. Work commenced on nth August, 1944, and was completed on 18th August, resulting in the demolition of 7,550 88 m.m. shells, 1,140 40 m.m. shells, 2 H.E. Bombs of 250 kgs. and 6 Tellermines. The condition of many of these dangerous objects, of a varying and uncertain degree of sensitiveness, was such that detonation at the slightest touch was probable if they were improperly handled. There was also the added risk of possible spontaneous explosions. Squadron Leader Batten was largely responsible for the complete success of the operations and he showed courage and fine leadership in circumstances of great danger. Flight Sergeant Baxter showed similar courage in handling and examining dangerous missiles and he contributed much to the result.

1109300 Acting Flight Sergeant Harold BAXTER, R.A.F.V.R. was also awarded the BEM for this action.

(London Gazette 3 July 1945)

Flying Officer Geoffrey Owen CARTER (178660), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

On the 17th December, 1944, the officers' mess of the 2nd Tactical Air Force Base Censorship Unit was demolished by a long range missile of the V.2 type. Several officers and airmen were killed outright and others were injured. The mess was part of a five storey hotel but after being struck, only about 15 feet above ground remained of the structure. Flying Officer Carter, a censorship officer, hurried to the scene and worked continuously for 41 hours without a break and with complete disregard of his personal safety, searching amongst the crumbling masonry for casualties and removing the wounded and the dead. After a short rest this officer, for a period of three weeks, attended the demolition operations daily and assisted, often at great risk, in the salvage of a great quantity of personal effects. He volunteered for this duty in spite of mental distress until ordered to hospital. Leading Aircraftman Spedding, a nursing orderly also was quickly on the spot and performed many heroic acts of rescue and rendered first aid under dangerous and trying conditions. He worked for 40 hours until ordered to rest. His conduct was all the more noteworthy as he had, on the previous day, helped in tending the wounded among the ruins of a Cinema which had been destroyed by enemy action. This he did at no small risk to himself.  Aircraftman 1st Class Maclean, an aircrafthand, immediately volunteered to assist as a member of the rescue party working at the Officers' Mess. Soon after his arrival at the scene a volunteer was called for to support the roof of a tunnel that had to be opened.  Someone with a strong back was required and; Aircraftman 1st Class Maclean undertook this arduous duty although fully aware of the danger of being buried alive. His great effort was instrumental in the rescue of two Royal Air Force Officers.

1771111 Leading Aircraftman Fred SPEDDING, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and 2218692 Aircraftman (First Class) James MACLEAN, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve wer both awarded the BEM for this action.

(London Gazette 14 August 1945)

Flying Officer Ivan Oliver HULLEY (160195), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

On the 25th March, 1945, an aircraft crashed into the crew room .of a dispersal hut whilst making an attempted forced landing on the airfield at Aston Down. The petrol tank exploded within the hut, where a number of ground personnel were changing. Flying Officer Hulley, who was standing-nearby, attempted to extricate the pilot from the burning aircraft. . Undeterred by the 'names and the intense smoke fumes from the petrol tank, he continued his efforts until he fainted from the effect of the fumes and had to be pulled away. He acted with extreme promptitude and gallantry and with complete disregard for his own safety, thus setting an excellent example to all who saw him. Leading Aircraftman Miller dashed .through the flames into the dispersal hut and Rescued an airman who was slightly burned and completely dazed. He then rendered assistance in dragging away from the flames, caring for and placing on 'a stretcher, an airwoman who was badly burned. He displayed great, personal courage without thought for his own safety and his prompt action undoubtedly saved one life.

1110151 Leading Aircraftman Richard Tyldesley MILLER, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve was awarded the BEM for this action.

(London Gazette 14 September 1945)

This page was last updated on 26/05/17 using FrontPage 2003

OBE/MBE holders 1940 - 1943 1940-1943                                      [Top of Page]                                           post 1945 OBE/MBE Holders post 1945 (not yet available)