Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site


Help Needed?



Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me

Air Commodore C O F Modin

C O F Modin - 1917Charles Oscar Frithiof    

b: 25 Jan 1889                   r: 25 Jan 1942                      d: 11 Dec 1966

CBE - 1 Jan 1941, DSC -  1 Jan 1915, MiD - 4 Dec 1914, MiD - 1 Oct 1946.

(RNVR): - Sub-Lt: 5 Oct 1909, (T) Lt: 6 Nov 1914.

(RM): - (T) Capt: 1 Dec 1914,

(Army): - Capt: 10 Jan 1917,  (T) Maj: 3 Nov 1917.

(RAF):- (T) Maj: 1 Apr 1918, Capt: 25 Oct 1918, (H) Maj: 25 Oct 1918, Flt Lt: 1 Aug 1919, Sqn Ldr: 1 Jan 1922, Wg Cdr: 1 Jul 1929, Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1935, (T) A/Cdre: 1 Mar 1941, A/Cdre: Retained.

xx Apr 1909:         Qualified as Interpreter (Swedish)

 5 Oct 1909:           Officer, RNVR.

 6 Nov 1914:          Officer, 1st Brigade, Royal Naval Division

 1 Dec 1914:           Transferred to Royal Marines as Temporary Captain.

11 Dec 1914:          Officer, Supply and Transport Company, 63rd (RN) Division (Served around Antwerp)

15 Jan 1915:           Pending posting overseas, RM Depot Blandford

xx May 1915:         Served with Middle East Forces (Dardenelles?)

22 Sep - 26 Oct 1915:        Admitted 17th General Hospital, Alexandria (Varicose Veins)

17 May 1916:         Embarked at Mudros

23 May 1916:         Disembarked Marseilles for service with BEF

10 Jan 1917:          His Commission in the RM was terminated on transfer to the Army.

11 Jan 1917:           Flying Officer, RFC.

 3 Feb 1917:           Wing Instructor in Gunnery (graded as a Flight Commander).

 5 Jun 1917:            Group Instructor in Gunnery

 3 Nov 1917:          Brigade Instructor in Gunnery.

 5 Jun 1918:            Staff Officer 2 Class, HQ South-Western Area.

25 Oct 1918:          Reverted to Captain (Aeroplane Branch) at his own request

11 Feb 1919:          Transferred to Unemployed List.

10 Oct 1919:          Granted a Permanent Commission in the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

10 Oct 1919:            Pilot, No 230 Sqn.

17 Feb 1922:            Officer Commanding, No 216 Sqn.

 1 Sep 1924:             Staff, RAF Base, Gosport.

30 Sep 1926:            RAF Staff, HMS Eagle.

14 Nov 1928:           Supernumerary, RAF Depot.

 7 Jan 1929:             Attended RN Staff College.

21 Dec 1929:           Fleet Aviation Officer to C in C, Atlantic Fleet.

31 Jan 1930:             Fleet Aviation Officer to C in C, Home Fleet.

19 Aug 1932:           Air Staff, HQ ADGB.

30 Oct 1933:            Officer Commanding, No 58 Sqn.

 1 Jul 1935:               Staff Officer, HQ Western Area

 1 May 1936:            SASO, No 3 (Bomber) Group.

24 Oct 1936:            SESO, HQ British Forces in Iraq.

xx xxx xxxx :             SOA, HQ British Forces in Iraq.

10 Feb 1939: 

 8 Aug 1939:             Officer Commanding, RAF Feltwell.

26 Aug - xx Sep 1940:        Officer Commanding, No 3 Group (Temporary)

xx Mar 1941:            In transit to Far East.

24 Apr 1941:            AOA, HQ RAF Far East.

xx xxx 1942:             Prisoner of War

Re-employed 25 Jan 1942 - 26 Aug 1946.

He was educated at Sevenoaks Grammar School.

He took part in the operations around Antwerp in October 1914, for which he was awarded the DSC and mentioned in despatches.  He was mentioned in despatches for his service whilst a Prisoner of War.

Excerpt from "Flight" - 6 May 1920

"The Flying Boat Disaster at Felixstowe
It is with the greatest regret that we have to record the disaster to a flying boat which occurred off Felixstowe on the morning of April 29. The Air Ministry announcement stated that the flying boat was engaged on an instructional cruise when it crashed into the sea. Squadron-Leader E. R. Moon, D.S.O., Flying Officer A. J. Fyfield, Sub-Lieut. Fonsecea (from the Portuguese Navy), and I.65985 [sic] A.C.2 Bass lost their lives, but Flight-Lieut. C. O. F. Modin, D.S.C., and Observer-Officer L. H. Pakenham Walsh, D.F.C., were rescued, slightly injured.
At the inquest, on May 1, on the bodies of Squadron-Leader Moon and Flying Officer Fyfield, Observer-Officer Pakenham Walsh said that the flying boat started off all right, and it had made several practice landings on the water. After about an hour, and at 2,000 ft. up, Squadron-Leader Moon took control, as he wished to do a glide. When about 1,500 ft. up the machine received a bump on the tail, which threw the machine out of control and developed into a spin. Squadron-Leader Moon then did all he could to right the machine, but the distance from the water was not sufficient to allow of a complete recovery. The machine struck the water on a fairy natural keel. Witness was of the opinion that if they had had another 100 ft. to 200 ft. they would have got out of it all right. On striking the water the machine absolutely collapsed. It was impossible to do anything, because the boat was upside down. Witness went under, and when he came up he did not see anybody else.
The Coroner said, so far as he could make out, there was nothing wrong with the machine or the piloting. It appeared to be a pure accident. He recorded a verdict of 'Death from injuries received through the sudden accidental fall of a flying boat'"

This page was last updated on 17/10/22

Back to W G S Mitchell W G S Mitchell                                       [Top of page]                 A T Monks  Forward to A T Monks