Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

 

Home Page

About this site

Quick Menu

Main Menu

Members' Area (Subscription service)

What's New

Help Needed?

Shop online from Amazon

Lopoking for ex-colleagues?

E-mail me

Please sign my guest book

Pleae read my guest book

Glossary

Bibliography

Links Page

Text links are shown below

This site has been 'Labelled with ICRA' to indicate the child friendly nature of the material contained in it

Link to Servicepals.com

In Association with Amazon.co.uk


Woodfield Publishing

- Home Page -

- About this site -

- Quick Menu -

- Main Menu -

- Members' Area -

- What's New -

- Help Needed -

- Online Store -

- Reunions -

- Contact Me -

- Sign Guest Book -

- View Guest Book -

- Glossary -

- Bibliography -


No 330 - 352 Squadron Histories


Squadron numbers in the 300 series were allocated to units manned by personnel who had escaped from occupied Europe.  This page shows details of the squadrons manned by Norwegian, Greek, Belgian and Jugoslav personnel.  

No 330 (Norwegian) Squadron

No 330 Squadron BadgeFormed at Reykjavik on 25 April 1941 from Norwegian personnel, who had managed to escape from Norway and then undergone training in Canada.  They initially flew with RAF Sunderland crews but in May the aircraft ordered by the Norwegian government arrived in the form of Northrop N-3PB seaplanes.

Anti-submarine operations began on 23 June and from July a detachment was operated from Akureyi.  In June 1942, some Catalinas were received and the squadron continued to operate both types until December 1943 when the squadron moved to Oban in Scotland, where the following month, both types were replaced by Sunderlands.

Sunderland operations began on 20 April from Oban and these consisted of the standard range of anti-submarine patrols and convoy escort duties.  The following month a detachment was sent to Sullom Voe and in July 1943 the squadron moved there in order to cover Russian convoys and the Norwegian coast.  The squadron finally returned to Norway (Stavanger)in May 1945 and on 21 November it was transferred to the control of the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Motto:      Trygg havet (Guarding the seas)

Squadron Codes used: -  

KE Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
GS May 1941 - Mar 1943
WH 1944 - Nov 1945

 

No 330 Sqn Crew 9

Courtesy Odd Flatmark

Aircraft & Markings

 

No 331 (Norwegian) Squadron

No 331 Squadron BadgeFormed at Catterick on 21 July 1941from Norwegian personnel as a fighter squadron, it was equipped with Hurricanes, becoming operational on 15 September.  It provided defence for Northern Scotland, having moved to Castletown on 21 August, until May 1942 when it moved North Weald, having re-equipped with Spitfires in November 1941.

It continued to operate as part of the North Weald Wing until November 1943 when this  became No 132 Airfield (later No 132 Wing) of the 2nd Tactical Air Force.  Following preparatory operations in connection with the invasion, the squadron covered the landings themselves and in August moved over to France.

In October the squadron was stationed in the Low Countries and continued to support the Allied armies as they moved further towards Germany until April 1945 when the squadron withdrew to Dyce in Scotland.  Here the squadron prepared to return to its homeland, which it did on 22 May 1945 arriving at Stavanger. The squadron disbanded 21 November 1945 at Gardermoen when it passed from RAF control to that of the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Motto:      For Norge (For Norway)

Squadron Codes used: -  

LD Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
FN Jul 1941 - Nov 1945

Aircraft & Markings

 

No 332 (Norwegian) Squadron

No 332 Squadron BadgeFormed at Catterick as a fighter squadron on 16 January 1942, it was composed as of Norwegian personnel.  It was equipped with Spitfires and became operational in March, moving to North Weald in June, where it joined its fellow Norwegian squadron, No 331.

It continued to operate as part of the North Weald Wing until November 1943 when this became No 132 Airfield (later No 132 Wing) of the 2nd Tactical Air Force.  Following preparatory operations in connection with the invasion, the squadron covered the landings themselves and in August moved over to France.

In October the squadron was stationed in the Low Countries and continued to support the Allied armies as they moved further towards Germany until April 1945 when the squadron withdrew to Dyce in Scotland.  Here the squadron prepared to return to its homeland, which it did on 22 May 1945 arriving at Stavanger. The squadron disbanded 21 November 1945 at Vaernes when it passed from RAF control to that of the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Motto:  Samhold i strid (Together in Battle)

Squadron Codes used: -

WW Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
HG Jan 1942 -Feb 1942
AH Feb 1942 - Nov 1945

Aircraft & Markings

 

No 333 (Norwegian) Squadron

No 333 Squadron BadgeFormed at Leuchars from No 1477 (Norwegian) Flight on 10 May 1943, it was composed of Norwegian personnel and equipped with Mosquitoes at Leuchars and Catalinas at Woodhaven.

The Mosquitoes were operated on shipping reconnaissance flights along the Norwegian coast, whilst the Catalinas carried out anti-submarine patrols to the north of Scotland.  The squadron's Catalinas also operated in the 'Special Duties' role landing both personnel and supplies at points along the Norwegian coast.

In September 1944 the Mosquito flight joined the Banff strike wing and acted in the Pathfinder role.  However, on 30 May 1945 this flight was redesignated No 334 Squadron and 333 became a pure Catalina unit.  As such it moved to Norway in June and at Fornebu on 21 November 1945 was transferred to the control of the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

Motto:  For Konge, Fedreland og flaggets heder (For King, country and the honour of the flag) - Badge currently shows incorrect motto, but will be updated in due course

Squadron Codes used: -  

VN Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
KK Sep 1944 - Nov 1945

Aircraft & Markings

 

No 334 (Norwegian) Squadron

This squadron had a very short existence being formed from the Mosquito flight of No 333 Squadron on 30 May 1945, after the war in Europe had ended.

In June 1945 the squadron returned to its homeland and was based at Gardermoen, where on 21 November 1945 the unit was transferred to the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

No Badge Authorised

Squadron Codes used: -  

BJ Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
VB Allocated but probably not used

Aircraft & Markings

 

Pods Storage Information: RAF Storage, Pods Storage & Packing
RAF Munitions Storage RAF Shawbury Storage Portable on Demand Storage UPack Packing with Pods

No 335 (Greek) Squadron

Formed at Aqir on 10 October 1941 and composed of Greek personnel, it was equipped with Hurricane Is and was employed on defensive duties until January 1942.  It then moved to the Western Desert and began air defence operations, but in June it returned to Egypt and re-equipped with Hurricane IIBs, which it took back to the Western Desert in September.

It remained in the Western Desert on offensive operations until after the Battle of El Alamein when it moved onto shipping protection duties along the Libyan coast.  In January 1944 it re-equipped with Spitfires and in September moved to Italy, where it conducted operations over Albania and Yugoslavia. 

In November the squadron returned to its homeland, from where it attacked German forces in the Greek islands of the Aegean and on Crete.  The squadron disbanded on 31 July 1945 and was transferred to Greek control.

No Badge Authorised

Squadron Codes used: -  

XT Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
FG Oct 1941 - Jul 1946

Aircraft & Markings 

Hellenic Tigers website

 

No 336 (Greek) Squadron

The second squadron to be formed from Greek personnel, this took place at LG 219 in the Western Desert on 25 February 1943.  From them until February 1944 the squadron was involved in shipping protection and air defence duties along the Libyan coast.

Together with its sister unit, No 335, it moved to Italy in September 1944, from where it operated over the Albania and Yugoslavia.  In November 1944 it returned to its homeland and carrieed out attacks against German forces in the Greek islands of the Aegean and Crete.

the squadron moved to Salonika in May 1945, where on 31 July it was transferred to Greek control, ceasing to be a RAF unit.

No Badge Authorised

Squadron Codes used: -  

ZP Allocated Apr - Sep 1939

Aircraft & Markings    

 

No 348 Squadron

This squadron was never formed but the code letters FR were allocated for its use during the period April to September 1939.

 

No 349 (Belgian) Squadron

No 349 Squadron BadgeFormed at Ikeja in Nigeria on 10 November 1942, this Belgian manned unit was destined for operations in the Belgian Congo.  Equipped with Tomahawks from January 1943, it never actually left Nigeria, instead it was diverted to ferrying duties, delivering fighters from West Africa to the Middle East.

However, on 3 May it disbanded and its personnel were shipped back to the UK and the squadron re-formed at Wittering on 5 June 1943.  Equipped with Spitfires, it was declared operational in August the squadron moved south to Southend in October and began offensive operations over the continent.

In May 1944 the squadron joined No 135 Wing at Selsey taking part in operations in preparation for the Normandy landings as well as covering the invasion itself.  Moving to France in August it carried out both fighter bomber and bomber escort missions until February 1945, when it returned to the UK and converted to the Tempest V.  However, it was decided to cancel its conversion in April and the squadron returned to the continent, joining No 132 Wing in Holland for the remainder of the war.  It remained in Germany as part of the occupation forces until being transferred back to Belgian control on 24 October 1946.

Motto:     Strike hard, strike home

Squadron Codes used: -  

OS Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
GE Jan 1943 - Oct 1946

Aircraft & Markings

 

No 350 (Belgian) Squadron

No 350 Squadron BadgeThe first Belgian fighter squadron to be formed in the RAF, this occurred at Valley on 12 November 1941.It was equipped with Spitfires from the outset and began defensive duties in December.

It moved south and joined in offensive operations in April 1942 until being sent north in March 1943.  It rejoined the offensive in October and became part of No 135 Airfield on 15 November within the 2nd Tactical Air Force.

It was now heavily involved in attacks on targets connected with the forthcoming invasion and then covering the actual landings themselves.  In august 1944, the squadron re-equipped with the Griffon engined Mk XIV and was immediately thrown into defensive operations against the V-1 flying bombs being launched against Britain.

After a month on Anti-Diver operations the squadron resumed attacks against targets on the continent, but it was December before the squadron moved there itself arriving at Evere in Belgium on the 3rd.  Following the end of the war the squadron joined to occupation forces and was eventually transferred to Belgian control on 15 October 1946, ceasing to be a RAF unit at the same time.

Motto:  Belgae gallorum fortissimi (The Belgae, the bravest of the Gauls)

Squadron Codes used: -  

YM Allocated Apr - Sep 1939
MN Nov 1944 - Oct 1946

Unofficial Squadron website

Aircraft & Markings    

 

No 351 (Jugoslav) Squadron

Formed on 1 July 1944 at Benina in Libya  from Yugoslav personnel, it was equipped with Hurricane IICs in the fighter-bomber role.  In September the squadron re-equipped with Hurricane IVs and moved to Italy, where it joined No 281 Wing.

281 Wing was part of the Balkan Air Force and the squadron was involved in supporting the Yugoslav partisans.  The squadron used an advanced operating base on the island of Vis and from February 1945, was also able to make use of an advanced base on the Yugoslav coast.

On 5 April 1945 the whole squadron moved to what had been their advanced base in Yugoslavia, Prkos, from where it continued to operate until disbanding on 15 June 1945

No Badge Authorised

Squadron Codes used: -  

-  None carried

Aircraft & Markings    

 

No 352 (Jugoslav) Squadron

This was the first Yugoslav unit to be formed, taking place on 22 April 1944 at Benina in Libya.  It was initially equipped with Hurricane IICs but in June, Spitfires began to arrive and the Hurricanes had bee totally replaced by July.

It moved across the Mediterranean in August joining No 281 Wing in Italy, where it provided fighter escort to its fellow Yugoslav squadron, No 351 as well as carrying out its own ground attack operations.  The squadron used an advanced operating base on the island of Vis and from January 1945, it moved there as a complete unit, although the squadron HQ remained in Italy. 

On 12 April the squadron joined No 351 at Prkos on the Yugoslav coast, where it disbanded on 15 June 1945.

No Badge Authorised

Squadron Codes used: -  

-  None Carried

Aircraft & Markings

There is a book available detailing the history of this squadron, for more detail click here


All Squadron badges on this page are courtesy of Steve Clements

Crown Copyright is reproduced with the permission of the Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights

This page was last updated on 19/01/13 using FrontPage XP

Back to Organizational Index Organisational Index                 [Top of Page]                                       Sqns 353 - 361 Forward to 353 - 361 Squadrons