Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

 

Home Page

About this site

Quick Menu

Main Menu

Members' Area (Subscription service)

What's New

Help Needed?

Shop online from Amazon

Lopoking for ex-colleagues?

E-mail me

Please sign my guest book

Pleae read my guest book

Glossary

Bibliography

Links Page

Text links are shown below

This site has been 'Labelled with ICRA' to indicate the child friendly nature of the material contained in it

Link to Servicepals.com

In Association with Amazon.co.uk


Woodfield Publishing

- Home Page -

- About this site -

- Quick Menu -

- Main Menu -

- Members' Area -

- What's New -

- Help Needed -

- Online Store -

- Reunions -

- Contact Me -

- Sign Guest Book -

- View Guest Book -

- Glossary -

- Bibliography -


RAF Regiment Squadrons 2851 - 2952

RAF Regiment Badge


Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2851 Squadron

Formed at Maydown in February 1942 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron later moved to Tarrant Rushton, where it disbanded in November 1943.

2852 Squadron

Formed at Greencastle in May 1942.  It transferred to ACSEA in 1944, arriving in Bombay in January 1945.  After acclimatising at Secunderabad, it deployed to Santa Cruz and then through Malaya to Kuala Lumper, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2853 Squadron

Formed at Lough Erne in May 1942, the squadron disbanded in April 1943.  Reformed as a Rifle squadron in 1944, it moved to the continent in May 1945, serving at Traben Trabach and Bad Godesburg, where it disbanded in December 1945.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

The above disbandment date is queried as at least one service record seen by the author shows an airman being posted to this unit in June 1943 and remaining on strength until October 1944

2854 Squadron

Formed at Carew Cheriton in May 1942, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in May 1943.  It transferred to ACSEA in August 1944, arriving in Bombay in October.  After acclimatising at Secunderabad, it deployed to Akyab and then Sinthe, Magwe, Mingladon, Rangoon, Penang and finally Labuan in Borneo, where it disbanded in April 1946.

2855 Squadron

Formed in the UK in May 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was one of two Regiment squadrons which landed on the beaches of Sicily during the initial assault of Operation 'Husky' on 10 July 1943. Unfortunately, the unit's equipment was aboard a different ship, which was sunk and it had to await new equipment to arrive before joining 2925 Squadron at Pachino, later moving to Lentini.  About two weeks after the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943 the unit, together with 2856, 2857, 2904 and 2858 Squadrons, crossed the Straits of Messina and were deployed to protect the Foggia airfield complex on the east coast.  Further moves took it to Reggio, Bari, Triolo, Canne and San Marco.  The squadron disbanded in January 1944.

2856 Squadron

Formed in the UK May 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was amongst the second wave of RAF Regiment units to land in Sicily on 19 July 1943, being deployed to Augusta and Agnone.  About two weeks after the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943 the unit, together with 2855, 2857, 2904 and 2858 Squadrons, crossed the Straits of Messina and were deployed to protect the Foggia airfield complex on the east coast.  Further moves took it to Mileni, Cutella and San Vito Marino.  During this period two members of the squadron were mentioned in despatches.

It returned to the UK in July 1944 and converted to a Rifle squadron in October 1944 and moved to the continent in January 1945.  Serving initially at St Omer and later Dunkirk,  where it took part in the siege of the town, Eindhoven, Damme, Diepholz, Celle, Fassberg, Schleswig Holstein and Rendsburg, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2857 Squadron

Formed in the UK in May 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was amongst the second wave of RAF Regiment units to land in Sicily on 19 July 1943, serving at Augusta, Lentini East, Scordia and Messina.  About two weeks after the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943 the unit, together with 2855, 2856, 2904 and 2858 Squadrons, crossed the Straits of Messina and were deployed to airfields on the east coast, locations being Palmi, Crotone, Bari, Foggia, Amendola, Cutella, San Vito Marino, Foggia Naples and Capodichino.  The squadron disbanded  in November 1944.  Member of the squadron received two Mentions in Despatches whilst serving in action.

2858 Squadron

Formed at Dyce in May 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was amongst the second wave of RAF Regiment units to land in Sicily on 19 July 1943. In Sicily it was based at Augusta, Lentini East, Pelagonia, Milazzo East, and Messina.  About two weeks after the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943 the unit, together with 2855, 2857, 2904 and 2856 Squadrons, crossed the Straits of Messina and were deployed to protect the airfields on the east coast, these included Reggio, Bari Foggia, Madna, Campomarino, Foggia and Naples.  It returned to the UK in June 1944 and converted to the Rifle role in September.  It moved to the continent in May 1945, being deployed to Maldegem and later Scheuen, Wesendorf, Fassberg, Luneburg and Celle, where it disbanded in April 1946.

2859 Squadron

Formed in the UK in May 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was amongst the second wave of RAF Regiment units to land in Sicily on 19 July 1943, where it was based at Agone, Lentini East, San Francesco, and Lago.  Within two weeks of the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943, the squadron was airlifted into Taranto and together with Nos 2862 and 2925 was deployed in defence of the airfields at Grottalie and Giola del Colle.   Later, together with Nos 2906, 2860, 2865 and 2867 Squadrons it was deployed to cover airfields in the Naples area and later further north at Vasto. In June 1944, it returned to the UK and converted to the Rifle role in October, disbanding in April 1945.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2860 Squadron

Formed at Leuchars in February 1942, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role but disbanded in September.  It was re-formed in May 1943 at La Marsa, from an amalgamation of Nos 4088, 4338 and 4337 LAA Flights, later moving to Hammamet, Sousse and Bizerta.  For the invasion of Sicily, the squadron was allocated to HQ North African Tactical Air Forces.  In September/October 1943, together with Nos 2859, 2906, 2865 and 2867 Squadrons, it was deployed to cover airfields at Salerno, later moving to Naples and Cerignola.  It moved to the UK in May 1944 and disbanded in June.  Personnel of the squadron (in the Mediterranean) where awarded one MC, one MM and one Mentioned in Despatches.

2861 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at La Marsa from an amalgamation of Nos 4090, 4091 and 4337 LAA Flights, serving later at Hammamet, Sousse and Birzerta.  For the invasion of Sicily, the squadron was allocated to HQ North African Tactical Air Forces.  It moved to Corsica in February 1944, serving at Ajaccio and Ile Rousse before moving to Italy (Regina, San Servero and Acerra)  where it disbanded following November 1944.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches during its time in Italy.

2862 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at La Marsa from an amalgamation of Nos 4092, 4344 and 4339 LAA Flights and in June was deployed to the island of Gozo, near Malta, being replaced in the Sicily invasion force by 2864 Squadron.  It eventually arrived in Sicily in August 1943 being allocated to Augusta and later Agone.  Within two weeks of the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943, the squadron was airlifted into Taranto and together with Nos 2859 and 2925 was deployed in defence of the airfields at Grottalie and Giola del Colle, later serving at Bari, Termoli, Cutella, Sangro and Triono before moving to the UK in July 1944. 

It  converted to the Rifle role in October and moved to the continent in January 1945, initially being deployed to St Omer and later Dunkirk,  where it took part in the siege of the town, Rosieres, Buckeburg, Oberkirchen, Jever and finally Delmenhorst, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2863 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at Gharmart  from an amalgamation of Nos 4092, 4346 and 4339 LAA Flights, it served at La Sebala, La Marsa and Bizerta before moving to Italy in December 1943.  In Italy it served at Naples and Caserta before moving to the UK in May 1944.  During this period, one member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

It converted to the Rifle role in September 1944 and moved to the continent in November, initially being deployed to Froyennes and subsequently to Dunkirk,  where it took part in the siege of the town, Middlekirke, Gilze Rijen, Einfhoven, and finally Wahn, where it disbanded in November 1945.

2864 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at Grombalia from an amalgamation of Nos 4341, 4347 and 4356 LAA Flights and in June, when the Italian Garrison on the island of Lampedusa surrendered, the squadron deployed to the island together with No 2744 Squadron to defend the airfield at Sousse.  In July it moved over to Sicily, serving at Palermo, Syracuse and Catania.  In Italy it operated at Bari, Taranto, Cap San Vito, Pozzouli, converting to the Rifle role in September 1944.  It served  in this new role at Foggia, Iesi, Osimo, Santarcangelo, Foccia and Lecce.  During this period two member of the squadron were mentioned in despatches.

It moved to Palestine in April 1945, where it served at Ramat David, Ramleh and Lydda, before being disbanded on being renumbered  No 62 Squadron on 8 June 1947.

2865 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at Bone from an amalgamation of Nos 4089, 4342 and 4351 LAA Flights.  In October 1943, together with Nos 2859, 2860, 2906 and 2867 Squadrons.  It was deployed to cover the airfield at Catania until moving to Italy being based at Taranto and later Grottaglie.  It moved to the UK  in June 1944 and converted to the Rifle role in October before moving to the continent in January 1945.  It initially deployed to St Omer and later Mons, Mutzig, Neustadt, Oberstein, Bad Homburg, Riefenburg, Tabrarz, Hesselburg, Bonn, Buckebburg, Bad Eilsen and finally Gatow, where the squadron was disbanded by being renumbered  No 63 Squadron on 21 August 1947.

2866 Squadron

Formed in May 1943 at Setif from an amalgamation of Nos 4345, 4350 and 4352 LAA Flights, serving later at Bone and Tingley.  In December 1943 it moved to Corsica  to defend Ajaccio and then moved to Italy.  In Italy it served at Bastia, Pianosa Island, Sisco, Leghorn, Fano, Rimini, Ravenna and Fertcara, It converted to the Rifle role in September 1944 and moved to Klagenfurt in Austria in 1945, later returning to Italy at Codroito, disbanding in April 1946.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

2867 Squadron

Formed in May/June 1943 at Philllipville from an amalgamation of Nos 4343, 4349 and 4345 LAA Flights, later serving at Protville and Bizerta.  In October 1943, together with Nos 2859, 2906, 2865 and 2906 Squadrons, it moved to Italy, being deployed to cover airfield at Salerno and later Naples and Foggia.  'A' Flight was deployed to Ponza, an island west of Naples in January 1944, to defend the local radar site.  The following month a Landing Ship Tank ran aground on the rocks below the radar site during a storm and Flight Lieutenant Purser, Sergeant George Overend and LAC Frederick Caton of the squadron and Flying Officer Goddard of the radar unit climbed down the cliffs and began rescuing all they could.  Of the 50 American personnel and 150 German POWs aboard, 160 were saved, unfortunately Flying Officer Goddard was washed away and drowned.  Sergeant Overend and LAC Caton were both awarded the US Soldier's Medal and Flight Lieutenant Purser, together with another five members of the squadron were awarded AOC-in-C's Commendations.

In 1944 a flight of the squadron was deployed to the island of Vis off the Yugoslav coast in order to defend the small airstrip on this island, which served as Marshal Tito's alternative HQ.  It later returned to Itlay for further deployments at Pomigliano, Bagnoli, Miseno and Bacoli before disbanding in November 1944. 

2868 Squadron

Formed in June 1943 at Protville from an amalgamation of Nos 4348, 4349 and 4353 LAA Flights, serving at Hammam Lif and Bizerta before moving to Sicily in August 1943.  Here it defended Palermo airfield, before moving to Naples in Italy in September.  It moved to the UK in June 1944 and converted to the Rifle role in October, moving to the continent in April 1945, where it served at Brussels, Rheine, Rehburg, Wuhrden, Wunstorf, Soltau and Utersen, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2869 Squadron

Formed in June 1943 at La Sebala from an amalgamation of Nos 4355, 4357 and 4358 LAA Flights,  serving at Cap Serrat, La Sebala and Bizerta.  In November 1943 it moved to Sardinia, where it served at Cagliari and Sassari   It briefly served at Naples in Italy until moving to the UK in May 1944, where the squadron disbanded in June.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2870 Squadron

Formed in June 1943 at Maison Blache from an amalgamation of Nos 4354, 4358 and 4360 LAA Flights, also serving at Setif before disbanding in January 1944. Two members of the squadron were mentioned in despatches.

2871 Squadron

Formed at the RAF Depot in May 1943, equipped with vehicle mounted Browning machine guns, it was deployed to Exeter to combat the Luftwaffe's 'tip and run' raids.  It converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent in September, converting to the Rifle role at the same time.  It was amongst the advanced units of the Army, which entered Brussels on 3 September 1944 and then moved to Eindhoven, where it liberated the Philips factory and captured the nearby airfield.  was then deployed to Melsbroek and remained there through Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945), until disbanding in December 1945.

2872 Squadron

Formed at the RAF Depot in May 1943, equipped with vehicle mounted Browning machine guns, it was deployed to Hawkinge to combat the Luftwaffe's 'tip and run' raids.  The squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent in August.  Initially deployed to Villon, it later moved to Lille, Grimbergen and was based at Woerndrecht during Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  Further moves took it to Twente and Ahlhorn, where it disbanded in December 1945.

2873 Squadron

Formed at the RAF Depot in  May 1943, equipped with vehicle mounted Browning machine guns, it was deployed to south coast to combat the Luftwaffe's 'tip and run' raids.  The squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent in August.  Initially deployed to Beny-sur-Mer, it later moved to Fresnoy, Fort Rouge, St Denis and was based at Helmond during Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  Its final deployment was to Dedelsdorf, where the squadron disbanded in December 1945.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

2874 Squadron

Formed at the RAF Depot in May 1943, equipped with vehicle mounted Browning machine guns, it was deployed to Tangmere to combat the Luftwaffe's 'tip and run' raids.  The squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent in August.  It was initially deployed to Martragny and was based at Volkel by the time Operation 'Bodenplatte' was launched (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  Its final move was to Dedelsdorf, where it was disbanded in December 1945.  Members of the squadron were awarded one MBE (Warrant Officer Patrick Maguire) and one BEM (Sergeant Archibald Brown).

Citation for the award of the MBE

 “Acting Warrant Officer Patrick Maguire (965735), Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Regiment.”

 Citation for the award of the British Empire Medal

 “1100239 Acting Sergeant Archibald Brown, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Royal Air Force Regiment.

 During an air raid on a forward airfield one evening in October, 1944, an enemy bomb fell very close to a heavy motor vehicle, setting it on fire.  The vehicle was laden with an emergency reserve supply of H.E. and A.P. ammunition. The light from the fire was very considerable and invited further attack by the enemy. In view of the danger to which the whole airfield was exposed it get the fire under control. Although the ammunition on the vehicle was continually exploding and the absence of cover made any approach   extremely dangerous, Warrant Officer Maguire and Sergeant Brown, together, voluntarily took the foam hose to within 5 yards of the fire and soon extinguished the flames. Both these airmen suffered burns on the hands as a result of their actions.

(London Gazette – 13 March 1945)

2875 Squadron

There is recorded evidence to suggest that this unit was formed as early as April 1942 and was located at East Wretham in July but was redesignated No 4267 AA Flight on 22 November 1942.  It was reformed at  Lympe in July 1943, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent on D + 12.  It was initially deployed to Les Buissons, later moving to Bazeville, Wavre, Grave and was based at Helmond during Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  In November 1944, the squadron was responsible for shooting down a Me262 fighter bomber which had attacked the airfield at Helmond, thereby becoming the first unit to bring down a jet aircraft with ground fire.  Further moves took it to Rheine, Celle, Fassberg, Schleswig Holstein and Flenshurg before transferring to Norway.  Here it was deployed at Gardemoen, Kjeller and Lillestrom, where it disbanded in November 1945.  Members of the squadron were awarded two mentions in despatches and two King Haakon Medals.

2876 Squadron

Formed at  Tangmere in July 1943, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role within 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944.  They were aboard LCT43 for the landing on Juno beach on D+2, when LCT46, carrying 2817 Squadron was hit by a German coastal battery and managed to get both the survivors and dead off LCT 46 before it sank.  They were initially deployed to Coulands and later Louvain, Gossecourt before moving to Ophoven, where it was based during Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  It moved to Uetersen in 1945 and later Schleswig Holstein and finally Sylt, where it disbanded  in June 1946.  Members of the squadron were awarded one MM (Corporal Hugh Adair), one Croix de Guerre and four Mentions in Despatches.

Citation for the award of the Military Medal

"1570785 Leading Aircraftman Hugh ADAIR, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In January, 1945, this airman was No. 2 gun layer in a Bofors gun crew -when more than fifty enemy aircraft made a forty-minute attack on an .airfield.  A Fw190 made a direct attack on the gun crew, who were in an exposed position.  Leading Aircraftman Adair continued laying with such good effect that the aircraft was hit and forced to disengage. Although enemy bullets were hitting, the 'ground only a few yards away, he remained cool and efficient, maintaining a high standard of discipline that was an. inspiration to the remainder of the detachment.

(London Gazette - 4 January 1946)

2877 Squadron

Formed at  Detling in July 1943, the squadron disbanded in October 1946.

2878 Squadron

Formed at  Upavon in June 1943, the squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and converted to the Rifle role in September.  Moving to the continent in May 1945, it served at Tilburg, Twente and Oldenburg before arriving at Delmenhorst, where the squadron disbanded in September 1946.

2879 Squadron

Formed at  Castle Camps in June 1943, the squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 converting to the Rifle role in October 1944.  It moved to the continent in November 1944 serving at Vitry, Brussels and Eindhoven before moving to Dortmund in 1945, disbanding there in May 1946.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2880 Squadron

Formed at  Kingscliffe in June 1943, the squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and moved to the continent in August.  Initiaaly deployed to Verdeville and later Volkel, it was based at Helmond at the time of Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  Further moves took it to Twente, Celle and Wunstorf, where it disbanded in June 1946.

2881 Squadron

Formed at  Snailwell in June 1943, the squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 ands moved to the continent in August.  Initially deployed to St Croix-sur-Mer and later Verdeville and Volkel, it was based at Helmond by the time of Operation 'Bodenplatte' (the Luftwaffe attack on Allied airfields on 1 January 1945).  Further moves took it to Schleswig Holstein, Uetersen and finally Travemunde, where it disbanded in November 1945.

2882 Squadron

Formed at  Kingscliffe in June 1943, it was based at Folkestone during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 and disbanded in April 1945.

2883 Squadron

Formed at  Redhill in June 1943, it converted to the Rifle role in October 1944 and moved to the continent in April 1945.  Initially deployed to Melsbroek, it later moved to Suchtelen, Dankersen, Grave, Schleswig Holstein and finally Wahn, where it disbanded  in December 1945.

2884 Squadron

Formed at  Bedford in June 1943, it disbanded in November 1943.

2885 Squadron

Formed at  Zeals in June 1943, it later moved to Coltishall, were the squadron disbanded in October 1943.

2886 Squadron

Formed at  Riccall in June 1942, and during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Hawkinge before being disbanded in April 1945.

2887 Squadron

Formed at Castle Camps in June 1943, it later moved to Wick where the squadron disbanded in October 1943.

2888 Squadron

Formed at Christchurch in June 1943, it later operated from Ibsley and Odiham before disbanding in October 1943.

2889 Squadron

Formed at Fairlop in June 1943 but during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Lydd, the squadron disbanding in May 1945.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2890 Squadron

Formed at Waddington in June 1943 but during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Rye, the squadron disbanding in April 1945

2891 Squadron

Formed at Dartmouth in June 1943 but during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Lydd, the squadron disbanding in April 1945.

2892 Squadron

Formed at Exmouth in July 1943 but during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Rye, the squadron disbanding in April 1945

2893 Squadron

Formed at Ludham in October 1942, but during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Bognor Regis, the squadron disbanding in October 1944.

2894 Squadron

Formed at Tangmere in June 1943 and was moved to Rye during the anti-Diver operations of 1944, it disbanded in April 1945.

2895 Squadron

Formed at Hastings in June 1943, it moved to Gatwick dDuring the anti-Diver operations of 1944 and  disbanded in October 1944

2896 Squadron

Formed at Warmwell in October 1942, it transferred to ACSEA in  October 1944, arriving in Bombay in January 1945.  Initially deployed to Agartala, it later moved to Chittagong, Madras and finally to Singapore, disbanding in June 1946.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

2897 Squadron

Formed at Ford in October 1942, the squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944 and became a Rifle squadron in July.  It moved to the continent in August 1944 serving as a Special Duties Squadron to the AOC-in-C, Allied Expeditionary Air Force, Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, where it acted as a personal protection force to the Air Chief Marshal and later SHAEF as a whole.  Initially deployed at Versailles, it later moved to Buckeburg and in 1946, Bad­Eilsen before moving to Lubeck in 1947.  The squadron was disbanded by being renumbered No 64 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Bad-Eilsen.

2898 Squadron

Formed at Manston in October 1942,  converting  to the Field role in November 1943 and the Rifle role in March 1946.  It absorbed No 2908 Squadron in 1947 and was disbanded by being renumbered No 65 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Ein Shemer.

2899 Squadron

Formed at North Luffenham June 1943, it later moved to North Coates but disbanded in October 1943.  Reformed by renumbering No 2924 Squadron in January 1947, it was disbanded by being renumbered No 66 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Lydda.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2900 Squadron

Formed at Heliopolis in May 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role it later moved to Gaza, Hadera and Alexandria before moving across to Italy in May 1944, where it served at Brindisi, Campomarino, Pescara, San Servero and Acerra, disbanding in November 1944.

2901 Squadron

Formed at Abu Sueir in May 1943, it was serving at Beirut when it was selected to join Operation Accolade (the invasion of Cos) where operated during September/October 1943.  It later served at Catelrosso, Cyprus, Famagusta, Lakatamia, Haifa, Hadera and Aleppo, disbanding in March 1944.

2902 Squadron

Formed at Helwan in May 1943, it moved to Beirut, from where it joined No 500 Wing for Operation 'Accolade' (the invasion of Cos) in September 1943.  It later served at Aleppo, Kabrit, Gaza and Hadera before moving to Italy in August 1944, where it joined No 1328 Wing in September, serving at Taranto and Barese as part of the Balkan Air Force.  It was later posted to Greece, serving at Kalamaki, Pireaus, Hassani and on Crete, During the operation to clear Athens the squadron operated under the command of 139 Infantry Brigade.  It returned to Egypt in February 1945 and the following December moved to Palestine, where it converted to the Rifle role in January 1946 and disbanded in April 1946.

2903 Squadron

Formed at Aboukir in May 1943,  it moved to Beirut, from where it joined No 500 Wing for Operation 'Accolade' (the invasion of Cos) in September 1943.  It than served at Aleppo, became a Field squadron in November 1943 but disbanded in March 1944.

2904 Squadron

Formed at Shallufa in May 1943, it took part in Operation 'Husky' (the invasion of Sicily) in July 1943 as part of the second wave of RAF Regiment units to arrive, serving at Syracuse, Lantini West and Catania.  About two weeks after the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943 the unit, together with 2855, 2856, 2857 and 2858 Squadrons, crossed the Straits of Messina into Italy, where it was deployed to protect the Reggio and later Bari, Foggia, Termoli, Canne, Campomarino and Vasto.  The squadron disbanded in February 1944.

2905 Squadron

Formed at El Khanka in May 1943, it served at Mersa Matruh, Tobruk, Benghazi, Tripoli, Kairouan, Hani West, Hammamet, and Tunis before moving to Italy in November1943.  Here it served at Naples, Tortorella, Cerignola and Naples before moving to the UK in May 1944, where it disbanded the following month.

2906 Squadron

Formed as a Field unit at Shallufa in May 1943, it took part in Operation 'Husky' (the invasion of Sicily) in July 1943 as part of the second wave of RAF Regiment units to arrive, having converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role.  Here it served at Syracuse, Lentini East and Catania.  Together with Nos 2859, 2860, 2865 and 2867 Squadrons it was deployed to Italy  serving at Reggio, Salerno, Naples, Capodichino and Foggia.  The squadron disbanded in February 1944.

2907 Squadron

Formed at Cairo West in May 1943, it moved to Hadera, from where it joined No 500 Wing for Operation 'Accolade' (the invasion of Cos) in September 1943.   Following completion of this operation it served at Haifa, Castelrosso, Haifa again, Aleppo, Hadera, Almaza, Mersa Matruh and Aboukir before moving to Italy in June 1944.  Here it served at Taranto, Foggia, Steraparone and Acerra until it disbanded in November.

2908 Squadron

Formed at Khataba in May 1943, it moved to Hadera, from where it joined No 500 Wing for Operation 'Accolade' (the invasion of Cos) in September 1943.  Following completion of this operation the squadron served at Aleppo, Kabrit, Aleppo again and Alexandria before moving to Italy in August 1944, serving at Taranto, Bari and Altamura and joined No 1328 Wing in September as part of the Balkan Air Force. It now became part of the task force, which assembled at Bari on the 24 September setting sail for Greece, arriving at Katakolon on the 26th.  Its first task was to test the defences at Patras and after initial probes the squadron and other units of the task force began an assault on 1 October.  Following fierce fighting in which the squadron played a major role, they were the first unit to enter the town the following day.  The squadron continued to advance and was amongst the first units to enter Athens. 

The squadron was then split with part of it returning to the Peloponnese to assist in quelling problems between rival Greek factions, whilst the armoured cars and 3" mortars of the unit continued to follow the retreating Germans towards Yugoslavia.  By the time Greece was liberated the squadron was based at Glifadha, south of Athens.  In December 1944 it armoured car flight was part of the relief force sent from Hassani to Kifissia to support the AHQ under attack by Greek ELAS partisans, unfortunately the relief force was too late to prevent many of the HQ staff and defenders being captured.  During the operation to clear Athens the squadron operated under the command of 139 Infantry Brigade.  In March 1945, al RAF Regiment squadrons in Greece were redeployed to Italy and later Austria, except No 2908 which remained in Greece.

The squadron moved to Palestine in March 1946, becoming a rifle squadron at the same time, serving at Lydda and Ein Shemer. It was absorbed by No 2898 Squadron in January 1947.  During its time in Italy and Greece, members of the squadron received two MMs (see below) and 18 mentions in despatches.

Citations for the award if the Military Medal: -

"1303113 Corporal George Henry WINGATE, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Royal Air Force Regiment.

This airman has shown daring and coolness under extremely trying conditions in the face of the enemy, whilst operating north of Kozani. On one occasion, whilst he was driving the flight commander's car during a reconnaissance of enemy positions, the vehicle came under enemy cannon fire. A number of direct hits were sustained and the officer was killed, whilst Corporal Wingate was wounded in the side. Despite his injuries he showed great coolness and courage in his determination to bring his badly damaged vehicle back.  He succeeded in spite of extremely heavy fire."

"1456832. Leading Aircraftman Peter Leslie WARD Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Royal Air Force Regiment.

Whilst the squadron was operating at Megalo Pekvo an enemy patrol was sighted  approaching their position. Leading Aircraftman Ward, who was in command of an R.A.F. vehicle, moved forward. The patrol was dispersed and several of the enemy were killed and wounded. Others made their way towards the beach and Leading Aircraftman Ward pursued them in his vehicle.  He returned later having destroyed a machine gun and captured four prisoners. Leading Aircraftman Ward has invariably shown initiative and daring and his car has frequently led essential convoys, under fire, between R.A.F. headquarters and other military installations. It has been largely due to his efforts that no serious trouble has occurred during such operations." 

(London Gazette – 12 June 1945)

2909 Squadron

Formed at Gianallis in the Middle East in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was selected to be part  Operation 'Accolade' (the invasion of Cos), whilst based at Hadera.  In September two flights were flown into Cos to protect the airstrip at Antimachia. It was later split to also defend the landing ground at Lambia (one flight) and the town of Cos itself (one flight) as well as the airstrip at Antimarchia (one flight).  Most of the squadron was captured on 4 October, by which time only five of them were uninjured.  The squadron effectively ceased to exist on that day and no formal disbandment took place.  For their actions during this period, personnel of the squadron were awarded two MMs and seven Mention in Despatches.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2910 Squadron

Formed at Idku in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron later moved to Hadera, where it disbanded in May 1944.

2911 Squadron

Formed at Mersa Matruh in May 1943 in the Field role but disbanded in March 1944.

2912 Squadron

Formed at Port Said in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron relocated to Gaza, where it disbanded in April 1944.

2913 Squadron

Formed at El Agoud in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron relocated to Gaza and later Hadera and Alexandria before moving to Italy in July 1944, where it served at Taranto, Cutella, San Vito, Farmo, Falconara and Naples before being disbanded in November.

2914 Squadron

Formed at Shallufa in May 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role squadron.  It later served  at Bersis, Tobruk and Apollonia before moving to Italy in July 1944.  Here it served at Taranto, Foggia, San Servero, Biferno and Bari.  In February 1945 the squadron was part of the force which landed in Yugoslavia and captured the airfield at Prykos.  It later moved to Austria in 1945, where it served at Udine, Moderndorf and Graz, finally disbanding in March 1946.

2915 Squadron

Formed at El Adem in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it later served at Almaza, Hadera, Hose Ravi, Tura and Gaza.  In May 1944 it transferred to Italy and served at Taranto, Cutella, Sinello, Loreto, Iese and Naples, disbanding in November 1944.

2916 Squadron

Formed at Gambut in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron later operated at Hadera and Gaza before moving to Italy in May 1944 but disbanded the following month.

2917 Squadron

Formed at Savoia in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, the squadron later operated at Alba and Apollonia disbanding in March 1944.

2918 Squadron

Formed at Benina in May 1943 as a Field squadron, it served at Shallufa, Hadera, Aleppo and Minnick before converting to the Light Anti-Aircraft role at Hadera for Operation 'Saturn'.  The squadron disbanded in April 1944.

2919 Squadron

Formed at Berka in May 1943 as a Field squadron, it disbanded in March 1944.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2920 Squadron

Formed Gardabia in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it served at Misurata, Tripoli, Hadera, Damascus and Masmiya, disbanding in May 1944.

2921 Squadron

Formed Mellaha in May 1943in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it served at Gaza East and Hadera before disbanding in April 1944.

2922 Squadron

Formed at Misuratain in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, serving at Tripoli, Gaza East and Hadera before disbanding in April 1944.

2923 Squadron

Formed Castel Benito in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, serving at Benina, Apollonia and Almaza before moving to Italy in June 1944, where it joined the Balkan Air Force as part of No 1321 Wing, serving at Altamura and Canne on the Adriatic coast.  Later in 1944 it moved to Greece, serving at Araxos, Piraeus, Kalamaki, Glifada, Klim and Kifissia.  Whilst at the latter, the squadron was tasked with defending hte AHQ, but when over 1,000 Greek ELAS partisans attacked the HQ, they were unable to to deploy their AA guns in the ground role and the AHQ was overwhelmed before assistance could arrive, many of its personnel being captured by the partisans.

It then returned to Italy, serving at Acerra, becoming a Rifle squadron at the same time.  During this period one member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.  In March 1945 it moved to Palestine, where it served at Ramleh, Jerusalem, Lydda, and Ras el Ein.  The squadron disbanded in April 1946.

2924 Squadron

Formed at Latakamia in Cyprus in May 1943, as a Field squadron equipped with 22 light tanks It took part in Operation 'Accolade' and then served at Castelrosso, Aleppo and Kabrit before moving to Italy in August 1944, wher it joined No 1328 Wing in September as part of the Balkan Air Force, serving at Taranto, San Spirito and Altamura.  It later served in Greece at Athens, Kalamaki, Salonika and Sedes before moving to Palestine, from March 1945 where it served at Ramlah, Ras el Ein and Lydda.  It converted to the Rifle role in January 1946 but was renumbered as No 2899 Squadron in January 1947.

2925 Squadron

Formed at Hadera in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it was one of two Regiment squadrons which landed on the beaches of Sicily during the initial assault of Operation 'Husky' on 10 July 1943.  Here it served at Pachino, Lentini East and Catania.  Within two weeks of the invasion of Italy on 3 September 1943, the squadron was airlifted into Taranto and together with Nos 2862, and 2925 was deployed in defence of the airfields at Grottaglie and Giola del Colle.   It was later deployed to Foggia but the squadron disbanded in February 1944.  Four members of the squadron were mentioned in despatches.

2926 Squadron

Formed at Benghazi in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later serving at Hadera and Apollonia before moving to Italy in June 1944, where it joined the Balkan Air Force as part of No 1321 Wing, serving at Taranto, Altamura and  Biferno.  It later served in Greece at Piraeus, Hassani, Elleniko, Araxos, Kifissia and  Patras.  It was part of the relief force sent from Hassani to Kifissia to support the AHQ under attack by Greek ELAS partisans, unfortunately the relief force was too late to prevent many of the HQ staff and defenders being captured.  It moved again, this time to Austria, intially to Klagenfurt and later Graz, disbanding in March 1946

2927 Squadron

Formed Habbaniya in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Benghai and Apollonia before disbanding in April 1944.

2928 Squadron

Formed Habbaniya in June 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it later moved to Hadera and disbanded in June 1944.

2929 Squadron

Formed at Habbaniya in September 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, soon moving to Gaza East, where it disbanded in January 1944.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2930 Squadron

Formed at Castel Benito as “A” Squadron RAF Regiment in February 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it later served at Mareth, Gabe, Azizia, Benghazi, Khanka, Helwan,, Gaza East and Hadera, disbanding in April 1944.

2931 Squadron

Formed Castel Benito as “B” Squadron RAF Regiment in March 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, servingin Tripoli and Palestine before disbanding in April 1944.

2932 Squadron

Formed Castel Benito as “C” Squadron RAF Regiment in April 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role,  serving at Gaza East, Beit Daras and Minnick before moving to Italy in July 1944.  Here it served at Taranto, Foggia, Regina, Termoli, Canne and Bari.  It later served in the Adriatic (Vis) in 1944, replacing No 2867 Squadron and later underwent commando training with No 2932 Squadron on the island in order for it to join Land Forces Adriatic, with whom it undertook a number of amphibious operations along the Yugoslav coast.  It later returned to Italy serving at Ancona and  Ravenna.  In 1945 it moved to Austria, serving at Udine, Klagenfurt, Moderndorf and Graz, disbanding in March 1946.

2933 Squadron

Formed Castel Benito as “D” Squadron RAF Regiment in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it served at Berka, Lete (covering USAAF airfields), Tura, Hadera, Affise and Masmiya before moving to Italy in July 1944.  Here it served at Taranto, Tortorella, Foggia and Naples, disbanding in November.  Whilst at Tortorella on 10 August 1944, a USAAF P-38 undertaking a test flight, crashed into the squadron HQ tent whilst taking off.  The aircraft immediately burst into flames engulfing the tent and those inside resulting in eight deaths and nine serious injuries, seven of whom died later from the injuries.  However, a number of squadron and USAAF personnel braved the flames to rescue their colleagues with Corporal Stevens, LAC Pike and LAC Gibson of No 2933, being awarded AOC-in-C's Commendations.

2934 Squadron

Formed in Malta in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, serving at Luqa, Hal Far and Ta'kali before moving to the UK in January 1944.  One member of the squadron was awarded a mention in despatches.

2935 Squadron

Formed at Aleppo in May 1943 in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, it later served at Hadera before disbanding in June 1944

2941 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the India April 1943, it sit was deployed to Imphal and then Kangla, after which it joined 52 East African Brigade to prevent the escape of the Japanese across the Chindwin river.  It later deployed to Ondauk, Meiktila, Mingladon, and finally Kaula Lumper, where it disbanded in July 1946.

2942 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in India in May 1943, it was deployed to Comilla, Maungdaw, Chittagong, Rangoon and finally Mingladon, where it disbanded in June 1946.  Members of the squadron were awarded one OBE, one MC (Flight Lieutenant Angus Ian Mitchell) and one Mention in Despatches.

Citation for the award of the Military Cross

"Flying Officer Angus Ian MITCHELL (127650), R.A.F.V.'R., Royal Air Force Regiment.

On 29th September, 1944 whilst on detachment with the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in South Mayu Range, this officer accompanied an assault party in an attack on an enemy position. When the commander was killed, Flying Officer Mitchell immediately assumed command and succeeded in capturing and consolidating the objective under accurate hostile shell fire. Despite the unusual situation in which he was placed he remained completely calm and showed initiative and resolution of a high order. On 2nd October, 1944, ne was attached to a platoon of the service regiment. which was detailed as a fighting patrol in the area of Sunia Marpara Pimples. The patrol was repeatedly attacked by superior forces and eventually surrounded. Later when the situation had deteriorated seriously, Flying Officer  Mitchell gallantly volunteered to make his way back to the company's base with a view to bringing down artillery support to assist in the withdrawal of the patrol. Although there was little cover on the journey, and the ground was swept by enemy automatic fire, he succeeded in getting through. His conduct was most  praiseworthy and materially assisted in the successful withdrawal of the patrol.  Flying Officer Mitchell showed marked courage and determination in carrying out an extremely difficult and hazardous task."

(London Gazette - 9 Feb 1945)

2943 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in India in May 1943, it was deployed to Jessore and then Palel, from where it operated with 14/13 Frontier Force Rifles.  It was then deployed to Saudang, Toungoo, Madras, Java, Batavia, and finally Kemajoran, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2944 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in India June 1943, it was deployed to Chittagong, Imphal and Palel, from where it operated with 26 Brigade and became the first RAF unit to cross the Chindwin.  It later deployed to Yalagyo, Taukkyan, Sinthe, Magwe, Meiktila, Singapore and finally Tanglin, where it disbanded in January 1946.

2945 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in India June 1943, it was deployed to St Paul's Island, Maungdaw, Ondauk, Ondaw, Rangoon, Bangkok and finally Dom Muang, where it disbanded in June 1946.

2946 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in India June 1943, it was deployed to Chittagong, Maungdaw, Tullihal and Sinthe, disbanding in January 1946.

2947 Squadron

Formed at Longcross in June 1943, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in April 1944 and disbanded in April 1946, prior to which it was also locate ay Filey and Sennen.

2948 Squadron

Formed at Danby Beacon in 1943, and was one of three units defending the radar station at  Swingate in late 1943 and Ventnor in February 1944, before returning to Swingate. The squadron disbanded in April 1945.

2949 Squadron

Formed at Longcross in 1943, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in April 1944.  It moved to Norway in May 1945 being deployed at Stavanger, Sola, Gardemoen and Fornebu, disbanding in October of the same year.  Members of the squadron were awarded 5 King Haakon Medals.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2950 Squadron

Formed at Longcross in July 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role and during the anti-Diver operations of 1944 it was based at Brandy Bay before disbanding in April 1945.

2951 Squadron

Formed at Truleigh Hill in August 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Rye before disbanding in March 1945.

2952 Squadron

Formed at North Luffenham in August 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, but disbanded in October 1943, having moved to Netheravon.

2953 Squadron

Formed at Wellingore in June 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Bolt Head and disbanded in October 1943.

2954 Squadron

Formed at Driffield in 1943, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in June 1943 and then became a Rifle squadron in September 1944.  In October it moved to Lagens in the Azores, where it replaced Nos 2710 and 2822 Squadrons.  The squadron disbanded in September 1945.

2955 Squadron

Formed at St. Athan in June 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Hawkinge and disbanding in April 1945.

2956 Squadron

Formed at Waddington in June 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Merston before disbanding in November 1943/44?.

2957 Squadron

Formed at Locking in July 1943, in the Light Anti-Aircraft role, later moving to Waterbeach ,but disbanded in June 1944, when it was absorbed into the RAF Regiment Depot..

2958 Squadron

Formed as a Recce Squadron at Secunderabad in SEAC, the squadron converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in May 1944, being deployed to Chittagong, Palel, Tamu, Kalemyo, Sinthe, Magwe, Rangoon and Warangal, disbanding in January 1946.

2959 Squadron

Formed as a Recce Squadron at Secunderabad in May 1944, it converted to the Light Anti-Aircraft role in June, being deployed to Agartala, Cox's Bazaar, Patenga, Ranree, Ramree, Rangoon, Mingladon and Warangal, disbanding in January 1945.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2960 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in July 1944, being deployed to Imphal, Ondauk, Ondaw, Dwhela, Rangoon and finally Penang, being disbanded there in May 1946.  One member of the squadron was mentioned in despatches.

2961 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in July 1944, being deployed to Dimapur, Tullihal, Palel, Tabingaung, Saudang, Rangoon, Sumatra and finally Medan, disbanding in January 1946.

2962 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in August 1944, being deployed to the Cocos Islands and later Columbo, Madras, Java, Batavia and finally Kemojoran, disbanding in August 1946.  Members of the squadron were awarded a MM and a Mention in Despatches.

Citation for the award of the Military Medal

"I3544I3 Sergeant Alec Charles HAINES, R.A.F.V.R., No. 2962 Squadron, Royal Air Force Regiment.

Sergeant Haines was in charge of a firing party at a funeral in Batavia on 2Oth November, 1945, when the party was subjected to heavy fire from a large force of Indonesian Extremists. Sergeant Haines quickly appreciated the situation and covered the withdrawal of the funeral party to a safe -area without loss to personnel. He then carried out a reconnaissance. When he was satisfied that the moment was opportune he returned to the cemetery, and with the help of other Royal Air Force Regiment personnel, retrieved the coffin.  This non-commissioned officer displayed courage, initiative and leadership in a very difficult situation. He was instrumental in saving many lives."

(London Gazette - 17 May 1946)

2963 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in July 1944 being deployed to Cox's Bazaar, Ramree Island, Imphal, Yalagyo, Meiktila, Toungoo, Hmwabi and finally Saigon, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2964 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in July 1944, it became a Field squadron in November 1944, being deployed to Dimapur, Alipore, Toungoo, Rangoon, Penang and finally Singapore, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2965 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad in the Light Anti-Aircraft role in August 1944, being deployed to Imphal, Meiktila, Toungoo, Rangoon, Penang, Butterworth, Singapore and finally Tanglin, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2966 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as a Field squadron in July 1944, being deployed to Comilla, Dohazari, Akyab, Madras and finally Seleater, where it disbanded in July 1946.

2967 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as a Field squadron in July 1944, being deployed to Dohazari, Chiranga, Ramree Island, Rangoon and finally Saigon, disbanding in February 1946.

2968 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as a Field squadron in July 1944, being deployed to Tullihal, Imphal, Mutaik, Ondauk, Meiktila, Mingladon, Rangoon, Sumatra and Medan, disbanding in January 1946.

2969 Squadron

Formed at Acerra in Italy as a Rifle squadron in March 1945, it moved to Palestine in April, serving at Jerusalem and  Petat Tiqva before disbanding in April 1946.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2970 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as an Armoured Car Unit in Unit in February 1945, being deployed to Agartala, Rangoon and Mingladon, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2971 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as an Armoured Car Unit in February 1945, where it disbanded in March 1946.

2972 Squadron

Formed at Secunderabad as an Armoured Car Unit in February 1945, where it disbanded in March 1946.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

This page was last updated on 21/08/12 using FrontPage XP©

Back to Squadron No's 2700-2850 Sqn No's 2700-2850                            [Top of Page]