Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

 

Home Page

About this site

Quick Menu

Main Menu

Members' Area (Subscription service)

What's New

Help Needed?

Shop online from Amazon

Lopoking for ex-colleagues?

E-mail me

Please sign my guest book

Pleae read my guest book

Glossary

Bibliography

Links Page

Text links are shown below

This site has been 'Labelled with ICRA' to indicate the child friendly nature of the material contained in it

Link to Servicepals.com

In Association with Amazon.co.uk


Woodfield Publishing

- Home Page -

- About this site -

- Quick Menu -

- Main Menu -

- Members' Area -

- What's New -

- Help Needed -

- Online Store -

- Reunions -

- Contact Me -

- Sign Guest Book -

- View Guest Book -

- Glossary -

- Bibliography -


RAF Regiment Squadrons - No's 1 - 533


[Badges]

1 Squadron

This squadron's career can be traced back to the earliest days of RAF ground units, having originally been formed as No 1 Armoured Car Company on 19 December 1921.  It was incorporated into the RAF Regiment as No 2701 (Armoured Car) Squadron on  3 October 1946 at Quastina (Palestine) and re-numbered No 1 (Armoured Car) Squadron on 25 February 1947.   In August it moved to Ramleh, where it disbanded on ?.  It re-formed at Sundern and later served at Lubeck, Luneberg and Wunstorf, disbanding there on ?.  It re-formed again, this time at El Adem and later moved to Butterworth, Bicester and Laarbruch, from 1970, where it was detached to take part in Operation Desert Storm in 1991.  With its departure from Germany, in 1999 the squadron served at St Mawgan as a Field Squadron, having given up the Armoured Car role in December 1953.  However, with the closure of St Mawgan imminent the squadron transferred to Honington in 2006.

Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 11 Oct 1955, effective from 1 Apr 1955 but presented:-

1st -  8 April 1959

AM Sir Hugh Constantine

2nd -  3 November 1988

AM Sir Anthony Skingsley

3rd - xx xxx 2013

ACM Sir Stephen Dalton

Kurdistan 1922-23, Kurdistan 1930-31, Palestine 1936, Habbaniya, Iraq 1941, Egypt & Libya 1941-43, Gulf 1991

Iraq 2003:

 

 

Crew of the Armoured Car - Cerberus Personnel of No 1 Armoured Car Company Armoured Cars of No 1 Armoured Car Company
 
Setting up camp near Basrah   Rolls Royce Armoured Car of No 1 Armoured Car Company

Photographs above courtesy of Bill Lewry from the collection of his late father, Joseph Lewry.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

2 Squadron

This squadron's career can be traced back to the earliest days of RAF ground units, having originally been formed at Heliopolis as No 2 Armoured Car Company on 7 April 1922 for service in Transjordan. It was incorporated into the RAF Regiment as No 2702 Squadron on 3 October 1946 and was re-numbered No 2 (Armoured Car) Squadron on 25 February 1947 at Ramleh.  It later served at Amman, Habbaniya, Sharjah, back to Habbaniya, Nicosia and Luqa before moving to Felixstowe.  From there it moved to Colerne, where it converted to the Parachute role, later re-locating to the RAF Depot at Catterick and later Hullavington.  It was detached to the Arabian Gulf during Operation Granby in 1990 and is currently serving at Honington as a Field/Parachute Squadron.

Standards Battle Honours*
Standard originally awarded on 15 Jan 1952, but presented: -

1st -  25 November 1959

ACM Sir Hubert Patch

2nd -  5 June 1989

ACM Sir Patrick Hine

Transjordan 1924, Palestine 1936-39, Egypt & Libya 1940-43, Iraq 1941, Syria 1941, El Alamein, North Africa 1943

Iraq 2003:

 

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

3 Squadron

As with Nos 1 and 2 Squadrons, No began life as a pre Armoured Car Unit, No 3 Armoured Car Company on 3 November 1922.  It operated over throughout Eastern and Southern Iraq but disbanded on 1 April 1925.  It reformed when No 2757 Squadron was re-numbered on 21 August 1947 at Gutersloh, moving to Celle in October  and Fassburg on 1 December.  On 8 May 1952, it moved to Jever  and later to Gutersloh, where it disbanded on 1 November 1955.  It re-formed on  1 January 1957 when No 168 Squadron was re-numbered at Oldenburg but it disbanded, once again on 30 September 1957.  It reformed at Hullavington on 27 July 1987 and on 1 February 1988 it moved to Aldergrove, where it is currently serving as a Field Squadron.

Standards Battle Honours*
15 June 1996

HRH The Duke of York

Iraq 1923-25, France & Germany 1944-45

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

4 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2777 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Celle, it was absorbed into No 1 Squadron on 15 March 1948.

 

15 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2700 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Nethertown, it later served at Watchet, Netheravon, Pembrey, Thornaby, Innsworth, Changi, Seletar, Wittering and Laming.  It took park in Operation Corporate in 1982 and Operation Roust between 1983 and 1985.  It later served at Honington as a Rapier Squadron, until this role was transferred to the Royal Artillery.

Standard
Award of Standard originally announced on 23 Apr 1974, effective from 1 Apr 1973 but presented:-

10 October 1975

ACM Sir Andrew Humphrey

 

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

 

16 Squadron

Formed at Watchet on 12 January 1948, it has served at Upavon, Wattisham, lnnsworth, Felixstowe, Upwood, Catterick and Wildenrath. It latterly served at Honington as a Rapier Squadron, but with the transfer of ground based air defence to the Army, No 16 Squadron disbanded on 28 September 2006.

.

.

.

.

Standard Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 23 Apr 1974, effective from 1 Apr 1973 but presented:-

26 May 1977

AM Sir Michael Beetham

Iraq 2003:

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

17 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 59 Squadron on 1 May 1949 at Celle, it disbanded there on 30 September 1957.

 

18 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 61 Squadron on 1 May 1949 at Celle and disbanded there on 30 September 1957.

 

 19 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 55 Squadron on 1 May 1949 at Gutersloh, moving later to Laarbruch, where it disbanded in 1957.  It re-formed at Brize Norton, but its last disbandment date is unknown.

Standards Battle Honours*
? Home Defence 1941-42, France & Germany 1944-45

 

20 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 64 Squadron on 1 May 1949 at Gutersloh, it disbanded at some point but reformed for Operation Granby in 1991.

Standards Battle Honours*
? Home Defence 1941-42, France & Germany 1944-45

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

21 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 52 Squadron on 1 August 1949, serving at Amman, Aden, Mafraq, and Habbaniya, disbanded at Nicosia on 15 June 1957.

 

22 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 9 July 1951, it disbanded at Gutersloh on 30 September 1957.

 

23  Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 16 July 1951, it disbanded at Gutersloh on 30 September 1957.

 

24 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 30 July 1951, it disbanded at Wildenrath on 1 January 1958.

 

25 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 4th August 1951, it disbanded at Wildenrath on 1 January 1958.

 

26 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 27 August 1951, it served at Abu Sueir, Habbaniya, Amman, Tymbou, Nicosia, Changi, Bicester, Gutersloh and Laarbruch. It took part in Operation Granby and Desert Storm in 1990-91 and later served at Waddington as a Rapier Squadron until the Rapier air defence system was handed over to the Army.  In June 2010 it took over the role of the RAF Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Operations Squadron at RAF Honington.

Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 16 Aug 1977, effective from 1 Apr 1977 but presented:-

28 November 1979

AM Sir Peter Terry

Gulf 1991:

 

27 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 3 September 1951, it served in the Canal Zone, at Nicosia, Akrotiri, Leeming, Akrotiri, North Luffenham and Leuchars.   It is currently serving at Honington as the RAF element of the Joint NBC Regiment.

Standard Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 16 Aug 1977, effective from 1 Apr 1977 but presented:-

4 June 1980

ACM Sir David Evans

Iraq 2003:

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

28 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 17 September 1951, it has served in the Canal Zone, as well as at Akrotiri and Nicosia, where it disbanded on 1 January 1964.

 

29 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 24 September 1951, it has served in the Canal Zone, moving to Mafraq in 1956, before disbanding at  Nicosia on 15 June 1957,

 

30 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 8 October 1951, moving to Jever on 3 April 1952 and to Laarbruch, possibly in March 1955, where it disbanded on 1 January 1958.

 

31 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 15 October 1951, it disbanded at Wunstorf on 30 September 1957.

 

32 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 29 October 1951, it disbanded at Wunstorf on 30 September 1957.

 

33 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 5 November 1951, moving to Jever on 3 April 1952 and to Oldenburg, possibly in March 1955, where it disbanded on 30 September 1957.

 

34 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 19 November 1951, it has served at El Hamra, Kasfareet, Abu Sueir, Nicosia, Akrotiri, Khormaksar and Mehrabad.  It took part in Operation Granby in 1990 and is currently serving at Leeming as a Field Squadron.

Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 16 Aug 1977, effective from 1 Apr 1977 but presented:-

1st - 4 October 1979

ACM Sir David Evans

2nd - 20 May 1999

ACM Sir Peter Squire

Gulf 1991

Iraq 2003:

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

35 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 26 November 1951, it disbanded at Kasfareet on 31 March 1956.

 

36 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury on 10 December 1951, it disbanded at Ismailia on 1 May 1955.

 

37 Squadron

Formed at Yatesbury in December 1951, it has served at Abu Sueir, Nicosia, Akrotiri, Upwood, Khormaksar, Catterick, Bruggen and latterly served at Wittering as a Rapier Squadron.  With the transfer of the ground based air defence role to the Army, the squadron disbanded in 2006.

Standard
Award of Standard originally announced on 16 Aug 1977, effective from 1 Apr 1977 but presented:-

26 November 1980

AM Sir Peter Terry

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

48 Squadron

Formed at Chivenor on 3 October 1951, it served at Rudloe Manor, took part in Operation Musketeer, after which it served at Felixstowe, Upwood and Catterick.  It disbanded in 1992

Standard
Award of Standard originally announced on 16 Aug 1977, effective from 1 Apr 1977 but presented:-

?

 

51 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2713 Squadron at Luneburg on 21 August 1947, it has served at Uetersen, Fassberg and Celle, where it disbanded in September 1957.  It reformed at Catterick, on 16 July 1964, from where it deployed to Zambia during the Rhodesian Crisis in 1965 and also to Aden and Oman.  In 1969 it moved to Wittering as part of the Harrier Force  and from where it deployed detachment to Northern Ireland until 1987.  Further deployments took place to Salalah and Hong Kong and in October 1982, the squadron returned to Catterick, being equipped with Combat Vehicles Tracked, with a war role of supporting the RAF Germany Harrier Force.  In November 1990 it was deployed to take part in Operations Granby and Desert Storm in 1990-91.  Following its return it disbanded in March 1993 but reformed again on 8 May 2001 and is currently serving at Lossiemouth as a Field Squadron.

Officers Commanding: -

xx xxx 1964                        Sqn Ldr A B McGuire

Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 10 Jun 1975, effective from 1 Apr 1973 but presented:-

1st - 22 December 1977

AM P D G Terry

2nd - 9 Sep 2003

HRH The Duke of York

France & Germany 1944-45:  Gulf 1991:  Iraq 2003:

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

52 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2717 Squadron on 8 June 1947at Jerusalem, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 21 Squadron on 1 August 1949.

 

53 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2721 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Ein Shemer, it disbanded on 5 February 1948.

 

54 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2724 Squadron on 21 August 1947at Celle, it was disbanded at Wildenrath on on 1 January 1958.  Re-formed at some point it disbanded again by being re-numbered No 15 Squadron on 1 August 1990.

 

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

55 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2750 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Wahn, it was disbanded on being numbered No 19 Squadron on 1 May 1949?.

 

56 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2770 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Gutersloh, it was disbanded at Shallufa on 14 January 1956.

 

57 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2786 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Blankenese, it disbanded at Gutersloh on 30 September 1957.

 

58 Squadron

Formed as a Rifle squadron by re-numbering No 2788 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Wali Road (Palestine), it later moved to Khormaksar in Aden, where it disbanded  It re-formed at North Luffenham, serving at Laarbruch and Catterick as well as taking part in Operation Desert Storm in 1991.  It disbanded at some point after this but reformed on 7 June 2010 at RAF Leuchars.

Standards Battle Honours*
Presented xx xxx 1985 by AM Sir Michael Knight Home Defence 1941-42, North Africa 1942-43, Italy 1943-45, Gustav Line May 1944, France 1944, South East Asia 1944-45, Gulf 1991

 

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

59 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2798 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Wunstorf, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 17 Squadron on 1 May 1949.

 

60 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2827 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Hamburg Altona, it moved to Oldenburg, where it was disbanded.  It re-formed on 1 January 1956 when No 199 Squadron was and disbanded at Oldenburg on 30 September 1957.

 

61 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2829 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Lubeck, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No18 Squadron on 1 May 1949.

 

62 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2864 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Wali Road, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 1 Squadron on 1 June 1958.

 

63 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2865 Squadron on 21st August 1947 at Gatow.  It has served at Fassberg, Upavon, Middleton St. George, Pembrey, Ouston, Felixstowe, Malta, Felixstowe again, Cyprus, Tengah, North Luffenham and Gutersloh.  It took part in Operation Corporate in 1982 and is currently serving at Uxbridge as the Queen's Colour Squadron but would operate as a Field Squadron, when required.

Standards Battle Honours*
Award of Standard originally announced on 23 Apr 1974, effective from 1 Apr 1973 but presented:-

1st - 27 May 1976

HRH The Princess Anne

2nd - xx xxx 2009

ACM Sir Richard Johns

Italy 1943-45, France & Germany 1945, South Atlantic 1982

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

64 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2897 Squadron on 21 August 1947 at Bad-Bilsen, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 20 Squadron on 1 May 1949.

 

65 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2898 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Ein Shemer, it disbanded on 5 February 1948.

 

Hut at RAF Padgate Possibly 65 Sqn group photo - 11 December 1946

Richie, Herbie Hunt, Joe.

Bottom Arnie, Tommy Fred Swales

Football team Ein Shemer Palestine 1947

Denis Osborne bottom 2nd right

Geordie Ratclifffs hand, Chick Johnson, Denis (ossie) Osborne & Malesh the dog Ein Shemer Palestine 1947
AC2 Denis Osborne Ein Shemer Palestine 1947 AC2 Gnr C Denis James (ossie) Osborne 65 Sqn RAF Regiment Ein Shemer Palestine 1947 Dad's mate Fred Swales

11 December 1946

Ein Shemer Palestine Denis Osborne right
All photos courtesy - Mark Osborne

 

66 Squadron

Formed by re-numbering No 2899 Squadron on 8 June 1947 at Lydda, it later served at El Hamra before moving to Aden in 1948, where it disbanded.  Re-forming at North Luffenham, it served at Bruggen and Catterick, where it again disbanded.  It re-formed once again, this time at West Raynham and took part in  Operations Granby and Desert Storm in 1990-91, after which it was again disbanded.

Standards Battle Honours*
? Home Defence 1941-42, France & Germany 1944-45, Gulf 1991

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

75 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 16 June 1952, it disbanded at Geilenkirchen on 1 January 1958.

 

80 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 7th July 1952, it disbanded at Geilenkirchen on 1 January 1958.

 

85 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 28 July 1952, it disbanded at Bruggen on 1 January 1958.

 

89 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 28 July 1952, it disbanded at Bruggen on 1 January 1958.

 

100 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 15 September 1952, it disbanded at Wahn on 31 May 1957.

 

104 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 6 October 1952, it disbanded at Wahn on 31 May 1957.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

168 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 27 October 1952, it was disbanded by being re-numbered No 3 Squadron on 1 January 1956.

 

194 Squadron

Formed at Pembrey on 1 January 1952 , it moved to Akrotiri, where it disbanded on 16 November 1960.

 

199 Squadron

Formed at Hawarden on 17 November 1952, it was disbanded by being  re-numbered No 60 Squadron on 1 January 1956.

 

289 Squadron

Formed at Catterick on 1 May 1952, it disbanded at Wattisham on 29 February 1956.

 

533 Squadron

Formed at Hereford on 1 July 1952 it disbanded at Thornaby on 29 February 1956.

For RAuxAF Regiment units see RAuxAF Units

Also visit RAF Regiment.net

Special Forces Support Group

This was formed on 3 April 2006 and is composed of specially selected members from the RAF Regiment, Royal Marines and Parachute Regiment and will be based at MOD St Athan.

.

.

.

*

.

Also visit RAF Regiment.net


*Honours in Black are those the squadron has a been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard, but does not do so.

Honours in Red  are those actually emblazoned on the Squadron Standard

Honours in Blue are those the squadron has not been granted the right to emblazon on the Squadron Standard

This page was last updated on 21/02/14 using FrontPage XP

[Top of Page]